Switch Theme:

How many 6th players still play?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Hungry Ghoul





Ontario

I was wondering how many people still play this edition? I started playing in 3rd, and quit when the announced 7th. 8th's model count is prohibitive for what I want to achieve.

We've been steadily building a decent following locally. Within the last five months, we're up to seven players with every army accounted for at least once. I've personally gotten eight different 3200-4000 point armies lol.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/09/14 02:52:44


Vampire Counts 12,000 pts Tomb Kings 5,000 pts
Skaven 6,500 pts Ogre Kingdoms 7,000 pts
High Elves 7,800 pts
Bretonnia 5,000 pts
Empire 4,500 pts Lizardmen 6,000 pts
Dwarfs 7,000 pts Chaos 16,500 pts
Wood Elves 7,000 pts Dark Elves 7,000 pts
Orcs and Goblins 7,500 pts Dogs of War 3,500 pts.  
   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






Yes, only two of us though. I have greenskins and DoW, they Undead and HE.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
Backfire wrote:
Nobody kills his dad and participates in genocide just for cosplay.
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

6th is the best edition of WFB, by far.
7th & 8th are hot garbage.
AoS is not garbage.

I would play 6th, if I still made time to play WFFB

   
Made in us
Charging Dragon Prince





West Lafayette, IN

I do, as most are aware. I also mod at Classichammer, which has been a tad light recently.

There's also several threads from a player who is new to WFB, but is going full bore into 6th.


There are quite a few people playing 6th on this and other forums, but nowhere near a majority.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in de
Average Orc Boy




Germany

I would play 6th if anyone were to invite me for a match. I would favor it to all later editions, although I liked some of the changes in 7th rulebook. But the armybooks of 6th and especially ravening hordes were way more on an equal level than in 7th.
I chose to switch to a fanmade system that outperforms 6th in my book, but hey. Comparing with 6th, it is like preferring a yummy Cheddar over a fantastic old Gouda.

It's cheesy, it's old, I like it
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

6th is nostalgia goggles edition. It was markedly better than 5th because it got rid of the item cards, got rid of most of herohammer and streamlined the magic system.
GW were too set in their ways, but they hired an early internet commentator 'Ringsnake', Tuomas Pirinen who gave the system a makeover.

Despite the improvements 6th was still deeply flawed, an easy to abuse magic system that the game never properly shook off, uselessness of most forms of missile troops. Tiered charging et al.

The only attempt to fix this was 8th, which while it has some problems was heading in the right direction. Multiple ranked combat allowed for meaningful shooting units and a reliance on combat blocks. The return of variable charging made maneuver a matter of odds and not a sure thing, so charges could fail.

I do not miss sixth, to play sixth means your single ranked missile troops can never afford a command group and are pissweak. Pre gunpowder miniatures battles are supposed to be based on the melee infantry, missile infantry and cavalry triangle with fantasy elements added. Missile troops other than a few select warmachines and thin deployments might as well not be there.

GW was mostly and usually void of designers with vision and talent. It took deveral editions for the slow as molasses studio to fix flaws.

n'oublie jamais

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

As Fox owns the Aliens franchise and Disney owns Fox, Is the alien queen a Disney princess?
 
   
Made in us
Charging Dragon Prince





West Lafayette, IN

Ehhhhhhhhhhh, if ANY edition is a Nostalgia Goggles edition, it's 5th.


6th with Ravening Hordes is touted TO THIS DAY as the most balanced Warhammer you will ever play, and that is including people who don't PREFER that edition. 6th's problem is that it took away the more Roleplay elements from the system and streamlined it to the point that your average Core trooper actually mattered in the game. EVERYTHING that was imbalanced from 7th out until AOS replaced the system was them trying to find a way to put bloated OTT rules BACK into the game system, which didn't support it.

I realize players prefer different style of games, but to dismiss something that is highly regarded in pretty much every circle as "nostalgia goggles" is a disservice at best.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






 Just Tony wrote:
Ehhhhhhhhhhh, if ANY edition is a Nostalgia Goggles edition, it's 5th.


6th with Ravening Hordes is touted TO THIS DAY as the most balanced Warhammer you will ever play, and that is including people who don't PREFER that edition. 6th's problem is that it took away the more Roleplay elements from the system and streamlined it to the point that your average Core trooper actually mattered in the game. EVERYTHING that was imbalanced from 7th out until AOS replaced the system was them trying to find a way to put bloated OTT rules BACK into the game system, which didn't support it.

I realize players prefer different style of games, but to dismiss something that is highly regarded in pretty much every circle as "nostalgia goggles" is a disservice at best.


I agree utterly. Also don't get the complaint about missile units only being useable in single ranks without command, that just seems like an utterly nonsense argument.
8th was a horrific mess of a game especially with the massivly overpowered magic phase that could just delete entire units at whim.

Though I have to say 4th and 5th were great for the character and flavour that I don't think the latter editions ever managed to get back into the game.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
Backfire wrote:
Nobody kills his dad and participates in genocide just for cosplay.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Myrtle Creek, OR

Sixth Ed still had lapping around, didn't it?
   
Made in gb
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker





Glasgow, Scotland

Man, just put your missile units on a hill and fire in two ranks. That's the good stuff, right there.

10,000 30K/40K Space Wolves, 6000pts 30K Iron Warriors
3200pts AoS Maggotkin of Nurgle, 3000pts AoS Stormcast Eternals, 2000pts AoS Skaven
1800pts Middle-earth Rivendell, 1000pts Grey Company, 600pts Iron Hills
1800pts Middle-earth Angmar, 1000pts Dol Guldur
Blood Bowl Skaven, Blood Bowl Orcs

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Middle-earth SBG Hero Tracker 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

6th wasn't perfect, and that's about the only real knock against it. Still better than another edition, precisely because it was about troops:. Cavalry, Footmen, and Archers. Unlike other editions where the core triangle was Characters, Monsters and War Machines.

   
Made in us
Charging Dragon Prince





West Lafayette, IN

 privateer4hire wrote:
Sixth Ed still had lapping around, didn't it?


I stand corrected, THIS is the one thing wrong with 6th. So few people ever did it in games where I played that I forgot it was a thing.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





I am just getting into it and are loving it. I haven’t played a real game yet, but what I love about it is a comprehensive rule book with so many ways to play with the same miniatures. Throw in Mordheim, the dark art, the expanded armies of the day, and I think it’s easily the peak of WFB. I am disappointed I missed out on it.
   
Made in ca
Hungry Ghoul





Ontario

I've been playing since 4th edition, and tried to get back into 8th with it's "clearance sale on the figures without a discount" mentality of selling you hundreds of models just to be able to play, I gave up. I decided going back to 6th was the way I wanted to play, it always felt like your army selection mattered more in 6th than in other editions. I'm up to nine armies (at least i'm near the end...) with different options for all of them minus the High Elves that I haven't built up yet. it's been an adventure finding more units and characters through white dwarf, storm of chaos, lustria, etc. Our house rule is if there's 6th rules for a unit, you can use it.

Vampire Counts 12,000 pts Tomb Kings 5,000 pts
Skaven 6,500 pts Ogre Kingdoms 7,000 pts
High Elves 7,800 pts
Bretonnia 5,000 pts
Empire 4,500 pts Lizardmen 6,000 pts
Dwarfs 7,000 pts Chaos 16,500 pts
Wood Elves 7,000 pts Dark Elves 7,000 pts
Orcs and Goblins 7,500 pts Dogs of War 3,500 pts.  
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





I'm not a 6th ed player per say, but I'll play games in it. Started in 6th with High Elves, but really didn't get a grasp of my army until 7th, so I don't have the best memories of that edition. Endless numbers of Warriors of Chaos and Vampire Counts players didn't help.
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Haanz wrote:
Man, just put your missile units on a hill and fire in two ranks. That's the good stuff, right there.


Unit is not that good though if they are dependant on getting terrain piece at the right place...

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/09/12/tneva82-minas-tirith-vs-isengard/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
3225 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in dk
Fresh-Faced New User





In Poland 6th edition is still alive. We do tournaments, we play in local clubs. The last event that I was doing was for 32 players and there were even a reserve list!
You can check it here:
http://battle-reports.org/rada-par-parada.php

The second most popular "oldhammer" here is 5th.
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos





I would play 6th edition as I have all of the books and it was my favorite edition as far as balance was concerned, but there is no one around me at all that would consider it because its not supported by any company.

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

Q. How many 6th players still play?

A. Too many, even if only two that's two too many.

*shakes head sadly*

I think the real question should be, can they be cured?

n'oublie jamais

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

As Fox owns the Aliens franchise and Disney owns Fox, Is the alien queen a Disney princess?
 
   
Made in us
Charging Dragon Prince





West Lafayette, IN

auticus wrote:I would play 6th edition as I have all of the books and it was my favorite edition as far as balance was concerned, but there is no one around me at all that would consider it because its not supported by any company.


If you were close enough to where I live or drill at in Indiana, I'd play you.

Orlanth wrote:Q. How many 6th players still play?

A. Too many, even if only two that's two too many.

*shakes head sadly*

I think the real question should be, can they be cured?


Maybe they can. All it would take is Steadfast, Step Up, Hordes, Purple Sun, and throwing balance and composition out the window!


Look, why are you even in this thread? If that was sarcastic humor, it failed to come across. If you hate 6th that much, then don't come in the 6th threads. I don't come into the 8th Ed. circle jerk threads and gak all over those players' corn flakes, don't come in here and gak on ours.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in ca
Hungry Ghoul





Ontario

tneva82 wrote:
 Haanz wrote:
Man, just put your missile units on a hill and fire in two ranks. That's the good stuff, right there.


Unit is not that good though if they are dependant on getting terrain piece at the right place...


Makes sense though since if you have high ground, it's easier to shoot a bow. I like that it adds a bit of realism that way

demonstenes wrote:In Poland 6th edition is still alive. We do tournaments, we play in local clubs. The last event that I was doing was for 32 players and there were even a reserve list!
You can check it here:
http://battle-reports.org/rada-par-parada.php

The second most popular "oldhammer" here is 5th.

that's great.
auticus wrote:I would play 6th edition as I have all of the books and it was my favorite edition as far as balance was concerned, but there is no one around me at all that would consider it because its not supported by any company.

Companies are greedy anyways lol. AoS isn't much more than a "beer and pretzels" game, and if i'm playing one of those, there's much better rulesets out there.
Orlanth wrote:Q. How many 6th players still play?

A. Too many, even if only two that's two too many.

*shakes head sadly*

I think the real question should be, can they be cured?

I've seen your posts already. I don't understand why you hate 6th so much, but to each their own, I can't stand 8th or AoS myself lol

Vampire Counts 12,000 pts Tomb Kings 5,000 pts
Skaven 6,500 pts Ogre Kingdoms 7,000 pts
High Elves 7,800 pts
Bretonnia 5,000 pts
Empire 4,500 pts Lizardmen 6,000 pts
Dwarfs 7,000 pts Chaos 16,500 pts
Wood Elves 7,000 pts Dark Elves 7,000 pts
Orcs and Goblins 7,500 pts Dogs of War 3,500 pts.  
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

 Just Tony wrote:

Orlanth wrote:Q. How many 6th players still play?

A. Too many, even if only two that's two too many.

*shakes head sadly*

I think the real question should be, can they be cured?


Maybe they can. All it would take is Steadfast, Step Up, Hordes, Purple Sun, and throwing balance and composition out the window!


Look, why are you even in this thread? If that was sarcastic humor, it failed to come across. If you hate 6th that much, then don't come in the 6th threads. I don't come into the 8th Ed. circle jerk threads and gak all over those players' corn flakes, don't come in here and gak on ours.


 brr-icy wrote:

Orlanth wrote:same quote

I've seen your posts already. I don't understand why you hate 6th so much, but to each their own, I can't stand 8th or AoS myself lol



Ok kids. If you couldn't see the sarcasm dripping off the walls of the above post you need to take a long step back. I even went as far as to insert a virtual sigh into the comment.
Cool it please.

Just Tony you claim that you dont like 8th, or AOS or 9th Age we ask why? When someone claims not to like 6th, in jest or not, the reply is 'oh noes its dem haterz'.
The fact that you take a comment critiquing 6th even in jest with such vitriol and yet blame it on me reflects badly on yourself.

Brr icy, you are doing ok, you are asking the right questions, and understand it is a matter of personal preference. However for the record again I dont 'hate' 6th, I just prefer something else. I mentioned this before, I hope you grasp it first time and I wonder why others cant. Really the edition rivalry should be exactly that: banter, as it is not like it matters. I don't spend my days thinking 6th sucks, but to a small extent believe it, and if anyone says otherwise I laugh back and wonder when they will see the glory of unit nuke spells and steadfast blocks.

Each edition of Warhammer is broken differently, each is flawed, I can state that pretty much as a fact in so much as any edition wars information is fact. It is odd that pretty much everyone accepts that except for one or two diehards, who happen to also be 6th edition fanbois. Funny that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/10/04 12:19:00


n'oublie jamais

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

As Fox owns the Aliens franchise and Disney owns Fox, Is the alien queen a Disney princess?
 
   
Made in us
Charging Dragon Prince





West Lafayette, IN

Orlanth wrote:
 Just Tony wrote:

Orlanth wrote:Q. How many 6th players still play?

A. Too many, even if only two that's two too many.

*shakes head sadly*

I think the real question should be, can they be cured?


Maybe they can. All it would take is Steadfast, Step Up, Hordes, Purple Sun, and throwing balance and composition out the window!


Look, why are you even in this thread? If that was sarcastic humor, it failed to come across. If you hate 6th that much, then don't come in the 6th threads. I don't come into the 8th Ed. circle jerk threads and gak all over those players' corn flakes, don't come in here and gak on ours.


 brr-icy wrote:

Orlanth wrote:same quote

I've seen your posts already. I don't understand why you hate 6th so much, but to each their own, I can't stand 8th or AoS myself lol



Ok kids. If you couldn't see the sarcasm dripping off the walls of the above post you need to take a long step back. I even went as far as to insert a virtual sigh into the comment.
Cool it please.


So you play the sarcasm card for that post after THIS was your first post:

Orlanth wrote:6th is nostalgia goggles edition. It was markedly better than 5th because it got rid of the item cards, got rid of most of herohammer and streamlined the magic system.
GW were too set in their ways, but they hired an early internet commentator 'Ringsnake', Tuomas Pirinen who gave the system a makeover.

Despite the improvements 6th was still deeply flawed, an easy to abuse magic system that the game never properly shook off, uselessness of most forms of missile troops. Tiered charging et al.

The only attempt to fix this was 8th, which while it has some problems was heading in the right direction. Multiple ranked combat allowed for meaningful shooting units and a reliance on combat blocks. The return of variable charging made maneuver a matter of odds and not a sure thing, so charges could fail.

I do not miss sixth, to play sixth means your single ranked missile troops can never afford a command group and are pissweak. Pre gunpowder miniatures battles are supposed to be based on the melee infantry, missile infantry and cavalry triangle with fantasy elements added. Missile troops other than a few select warmachines and thin deployments might as well not be there.

GW was mostly and usually void of designers with vision and talent. It took deveral editions for the slow as molasses studio to fix flaws.


So having a sarcastic post that was meant as tongue in cheek following a post that said what was REALLY on your mind is somehow our mistake.

Oh, wait, I said this:

 Just Tony wrote:
Look, why are you even in this thread? If that was sarcastic humor, it failed to come across. If you hate 6th that much, then don't come in the 6th threads. I don't come into the 8th Ed. circle jerk threads and gak all over those players' corn flakes, don't come in here and gak on ours.


I made BOTH assumptions as to your intent since it was not clear. I also based this assumption on other 6th Ed. threads where you push 8th. I'm simply stating that if you DON'T like 6th, and don't want to play it, then by all means don't come into threads discussing it. It's what the rest of us do when there's a thread about an edition we DON'T play. Not to mention the fact that you made a second trip in here to express disdain, regardless of how innocuous you intended the second comment to be.

Orlanth wrote:Just Tony you claim that you dont like 8th, or AOS or 9th Age we ask why? When someone claims not to like 6th, in jest or not, the reply is 'oh noes its dem haterz'.
The fact that you take a comment critiquing 6th even in jest with such vitriol and yet blame it on me reflects badly on yourself.


I don't like AOS because it's a totally different system of play than what I want, and I have ZERO attachment to the "lore".

I don't like 8th because of imbalanced rules mechanics, clunky bloated special rules that are totally unnecessary except to overcompensate for the terrible 7th Ed. books, and shoddy restructuring of army composition, As T9A is a modified 8th that didn't address ANY of those problems, it falls under the same category.

That work?

Orlanth wrote:Brr icy, you are doing ok, you are asking the right questions, and understand it is a matter of personal preference. However for the record again I dont 'hate' 6th, I just prefer something else. I mentioned this before, I hope you grasp it first time and I wonder why others cant. Really the edition rivalry should be exactly that: banter, as it is not like it matters. I don't spend my days thinking 6th sucks, but to a small extent believe it, and if anyone says otherwise I laugh back and wonder when they will see the glory of unit nuke spells and steadfast blocks.


Your posting speaks otherwise.

Orlanth wrote:Each edition of Warhammer is broken differently, each is flawed, I can state that pretty much as a fact in so much as any edition wars information is fact. It is odd that pretty much everyone accepts that except for one or two diehards, who happen to also be 6th edition fanbois. Funny that.


It's one thing to accept that each edition has issues that some people view as unplayable, it's another to deride someone for that choice.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in us
Junior Officer with Laspistol




pontiac, michigan; usa

I'd probably play 8th with somebody if they were willing. My reason is more just that's what i learned to play and that's the ruleset i have. Magic was at its worst in 8th though. I wouldn't think of playing AoS and 9th age might be playable. I'd need to learn 9th age instead though.

I forget if i heard 6th was Hero-hammer or 6th was cavalry-hammer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/10/04 19:08:46


Join skavenblight today!

http://the-under-empire.proboards.com/ (my skaven forum) 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

5th is Herohammer

   
Made in us
Scouting Shade





 flamingkillamajig wrote:
I'd probably play 8th with somebody if they were willing. My reason is more just that's what i learned to play and that's the ruleset i have. Magic was at its worst in 8th though. I wouldn't think of playing AoS and 9th age might be playable. I'd need to learn 9th age instead though.

I forget if i heard 6th was Hero-hammer or 6th was cavalry-hammer.


Switch 8th edition with 6th and this is basically me. I’d move to 9th age but I don’t see much of a reason to. My play group likes 8th so we play 8th.
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

 Just Tony wrote:


So you play the sarcasm card for that post after THIS was your first post:


There was a gap of weeks between the two, so they were not necessarily written under the same mentality.
My first post was my assessment of 6th, which was faie as it critiqued 5th 6th and 8th. Strange how you missed that was as you quoted it.


 Just Tony wrote:

So having a sarcastic post that was meant as tongue in cheek following a post that said what was REALLY on your mind is somehow our mistake.


the time gap accounts for this, and the relative tones of the two posts.

But never mind, I get it, you are an oversensitive 6th fanboi who gets triggered if critique is mentioned, even apparently if the post critiques Warhammer as a whole. Moving on.

n'oublie jamais

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

As Fox owns the Aliens franchise and Disney owns Fox, Is the alien queen a Disney princess?
 
   
Made in ca
Hungry Ghoul





Ontario

 Orlanth wrote:


Brr icy, you are doing ok, you are asking the right questions, and understand it is a matter of personal preference. However for the record again I dont 'hate' 6th, I just prefer something else. I mentioned this before, I hope you grasp it first time and I wonder why others cant. Really the edition rivalry should be exactly that: banter, as it is not like it matters. I don't spend my days thinking 6th sucks, but to a small extent believe it, and if anyone says otherwise I laugh back and wonder when they will see the glory of unit nuke spells and steadfast blocks.

Each edition of Warhammer is broken differently, each is flawed, I can state that pretty much as a fact in so much as any edition wars information is fact. It is odd that pretty much everyone accepts that except for one or two diehards, who happen to also be 6th edition fanbois. Funny that.


First of all, not a kid, by any means. I've played 8th. Not a fan of the magic system whatsoever, or the amount of models it takes to make an army. I prefer sixth for the simplicity of actually having to plan out your strategy, unit selection mattered, etc. Where I didn't find that in 8th, where it seemed to be more a "play the meta or lose" type game. Sixth has it's flaws, most of which can be fixed by a simple house rule like the dumbass fear and outnumber = run away crap that just doesn't make sense. Already tested for fear in that unit for the charge, it's over. The magic may be weaker, but it being the game decider isn't what I want in a game, which is partially the reason I moved on from 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I pored over and debated which edition to pick up at again, and the only one that had more pros than cons to me was 6th. It seems balanced, mostly.

I am also enjoying the treasure hunt for rules and discovering things like the Lustria book, Storm of Chaos, etc that bring new angles, scenarios, rules, army lists, characters, etc. to the game. I'm already building my 9th army (painting all as I go, i am not one for unpainted minis in my collection) and my endgame goal is to have a 4k point army of each race that I can swap stuff in and out as I want to since we play 3k points.

Vampire Counts 12,000 pts Tomb Kings 5,000 pts
Skaven 6,500 pts Ogre Kingdoms 7,000 pts
High Elves 7,800 pts
Bretonnia 5,000 pts
Empire 4,500 pts Lizardmen 6,000 pts
Dwarfs 7,000 pts Chaos 16,500 pts
Wood Elves 7,000 pts Dark Elves 7,000 pts
Orcs and Goblins 7,500 pts Dogs of War 3,500 pts.  
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





I find it strange whenever someone say that you have to play with more models. Especially now that the whole system is dead. What's stopping you from playing lower points games, aka fewer models?

Just because the system has a reward for giant horde units, doesn't mean it fails if you use 6th edition sized blocks. Hell, several armies did well with MSU style of play, including Empire.
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

 Mmmpi wrote:
I find it strange whenever someone say that you have to play with more models. Especially now that the whole system is dead. What's stopping you from playing lower points games, aka fewer models?

Just because the system has a reward for giant horde units, doesn't mean it fails if you use 6th edition sized blocks. Hell, several armies did well with MSU style of play, including Empire.


Maybe 8th was 'balanced' and intended that way. Take the Sigmar's Blood campaign, it uses infantry blocks of 20. Nuke spells were the counter to steadfast. I don't think it was intended to be a case of everyone takes large blocks and everyone gets nuked, but do I take large blocks or multiple medium units and mitigate nuke spells.

Most of 8th faults were magnified by the meta and mitigated once one looks beyond it. Hosting fixes most balance issues, if one collector supplies both armies you can have a fair game for any edition.

n'oublie jamais

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

As Fox owns the Aliens franchise and Disney owns Fox, Is the alien queen a Disney princess?
 
   
 
Forum Index » Warhammer Fantasy Battle Legacy Discussion
Go to: