Switch Theme:

General rule queries  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Hey guys me and my buddies played our first game of 8th tonight and just had a view questions on the rules.

1. When a unit can ignore a wound and I use a weapon that does 3 damage, if he succeeds in the wound saving roll, does it remove all 3 wounds or does he roll for each wound inflicted by a single wound roll?

2. Really silly question but, in the fight phase when picking units to fight after the charging units go first. If A and B are fighting each other, and C and D are off fighting somewhere else, and my opponent picks A to fight next, after he has resolved his attacks do I attack with B or do I go on to choose C? and resolve B later?

3. Do cover saves class as armor when -Ap is involved.

4. During pile in. Can the opposing player whos turn it isnt, pile in during his turn to attack in my turn.. makes sense to me.

5. Can a transport disembark whilst in melee combat.

I think that is it for now, thankyou for anyone willing to answer any of these questions! Thanks

   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block






1- Your roll a dice for each wound inflicted. For instance: Death Guard have Disgustingly Resilient which lets them ignore wounds on a 5 or more. If they fail 1 armour save against a damage 3 weapon, they would roll 3 times for Disgustingly Resilient.

2- All units which have charged attack first, with the controlling player choosing the order. After these units can attack, players alternate attacking with other eligible units, starting with the player who's turn it is. You can pick your units in any order you wish, so long as they are eligible to fight.

3- Cover grants you a +1 to your save rolls, and is taken into account with AP. For instance; a Space Marine has a 3+ Save, in cover they would successfully save on rolls of a 2+ (2+1 =3); if they were shot with a gun with AP-1 while in cover, they would successfully save on a 3+ (3+1-1=3).

4- When a unit is chosen to fight in the fight phase, each model in the unit may make a pile in move. This happens for both your units and your opponent's units. The same applies for consolidation, at the end of a units activation.

5- Yes, as long as there is space to place the disembarking models.

Hope this helps!

Cap'n Bargutsa's Krakenmaw Tribe: 4.5k of Ogors

Court of the Drowned Throne: In progress Flesh Eater Courts

Legions of the Novkha Dynasty: 2k of Necrons 
   
Made in gb
Waaagh! Ork Warboss





 Fentlegen wrote:
1- Your roll a dice for each wound inflicted. For instance: Death Guard have Disgustingly Resilient which lets them ignore wounds on a 5 or more. If they fail 1 armour save against a damage 3 weapon, they would roll 3 times for Disgustingly Resilient.

2- All units which have charged attack first, with the controlling player choosing the order. After these units can attack, players alternate attacking with other eligible units, starting with the player who's turn it is. You can pick your units in any order you wish, so long as they are eligible to fight.

3- Cover grants you a +1 to your save rolls, and is taken into account with AP. For instance; a Space Marine has a 3+ Save, in cover they would successfully save on rolls of a 2+ (2+1 =3); if they were shot with a gun with AP-1 while in cover, they would successfully save on a 3+ (3+1-1=3).

4- When a unit is chosen to fight in the fight phase, each model in the unit may make a pile in move. This happens for both your units and your opponent's units. The same applies for consolidation, at the end of a units activation.

5- Yes, as long as there is space to place the disembarking models.

Hope this helps!
Rather than retyping out the correct answers, I will just chime in and say that Fentlegen has it correct except for a technical point on the saves.

Cover and AP modify the To Save roll, not the Save characteristic. A Space Marine in cover has a 3+ save on a D6+1, while A Space Marine in cover hit by an AP-1 weapon has a 3+ save on D6+1-1. Also keep in mind a "natural" 1 will always fail, so even if you had +3 to your save from somewhere, rolling a 3+ save on a D6+3, you'd still fail on a 1. Yes, it's slightly pedantic but it is important. It's a shortcut (and imho a bad habit) to say "You're saving on 4's" when hit by an AP-1 weapon.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/11/11 01:47:28


Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Because some people get their knickers in a twist, I'll list these RaW 'oddities' in my sig. Sadly GW's promise of fixing their broken rules has itself been broken. Zoom in to read them. RaW you cannot advance and then fire assault weapons, you can't shoot pistols if within 1" of an enemy; "minimum" ranges don't work; Seraphim have to re-roll saves that "fail" pre-re-roll; the game simply breaks if you ever have more than one wounded model in a unit; the game also breaks if a single rule ever tries to do multiple things simultaneously; Khârn punches himself in the face if he's not near some meatshields; Librarians on Bikes are locked to the Index power list, Howling Banshees can't declare a charge further than 12"; Spore Mines have an infinite range; Shroudpsalm technically doesn't do anything, only enemy models, not friendly models, have permission to move on top of a Skyshield Landing Pad; T'au have access to stackable Ignore Wounds (albeit against Mortal Wounds only); the T'au Early Warning Override Support System only works if a unit is "teleporting to the battlefield", not just arriving mid-battle; you can only ever use the Deathwatch Teleportarium Stratagem "once", and then never again in any battle after you use it; if a model splits fire, each weapon must target a different unit; a Tyrant Guard with Lashwhip can absorb an infinite amount of damage via Shieldwall between the time they die and the time they fight; Chapter Tactics on Successor Chapters don't actually do anything; Codex Leman Russ's can take an infinite amount of Hunter-Killer Missiles, Storm Bolters and Heavy Stubbers; Imothekh's 'Lord of the Storm' ability hits the "target unit" twice; "Airborne" units can't be charged by non-FLY units, but can be Heroically Intervened into, piled into, or consolidated into just fine by non-FLY units; Wave Serpents cannot be legally charged at by any model with a standard base; Slab Shields, along with the 'Take Cover!' stratagem no longer have any effect; and vehicles that are "slain" by a special effect do not trigger the "Explodes" ability.
--- Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities --- Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Hey fellas just had a couple other queries.

Thankyou for clearing up the other questions I had, massive help!

1. When a unit is shooting, if the front 2 models are in range, but the other 10 arent, can only 2 models from the unit fire?

2. If a unit has LOS, but 3 models out of the unit do not, can they not fire? (I'm positive they cannot but couldn't find anything that said this explicitly.

3. Cover. If a unit is in cover to 7/10 of the firing unit, but not to the other 3, is the cover roll disabled for the entirety of the saves from that unit, or do you roll separately, so the 3 units with LOS out of cover, do not have the +1 to the saves made against them. Sorry if this was poorly written.

Thanks again guys
   
Made in gb
Tunneling Trygon





 Alphabet wrote:
Hey fellas just had a couple other queries.

Thankyou for clearing up the other questions I had, massive help!

1. When a unit is shooting, if the front 2 models are in range, but the other 10 arent, can only 2 models from the unit fire?

2. If a unit has LOS, but 3 models out of the unit do not, can they not fire? (I'm positive they cannot but couldn't find anything that said this explicitly.

3. Cover. If a unit is in cover to 7/10 of the firing unit, but not to the other 3, is the cover roll disabled for the entirety of the saves from that unit, or do you roll separately, so the 3 units with LOS out of cover, do not have the +1 to the saves made against them. Sorry if this was poorly written.

Thanks again guys


1.
Only the models that are in range may shoot.

Note that you check when you first choose the unit to shoot with, not when you resolve the actual shots. So if the target is no longer in range due to models killed by other members of the same unit, you do still get to shoot.

2.
Only the models that have LoS to the target can shoot.

Same as above, you check line of sight when first picking the unit to shoot. If the opponent removes all visible models as casualties and you still have shooting attacks to make with the same unit you can still shoot even though you can no longer see the target.

3.
Line of sight and cover are generally not related. You have cover if you are on terrain that grants cover, you just have to be on it.

A unit only only gets cover if every model is at least touching the relevant terrain. However if the models that were not on the terrain are removed as casualties then the rest of the unit immediately benefits from cover.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/13 10:11:09


 
   
Made in de
Blood-Drenched Death Company Marine





Germany

 Stux wrote:

3.
Line of sight and cover are generally not related. You have cover if you are on terrain that grants cover, you just have to be on it.

A unit only only gets cover if every model is at least touching the relevant terrain. However if the models that were not on the terrain are removed as casualties then the rest of the unit immediately benefits from cover.



Only true for INFANTRY. In addition, any other units must be at 50% obscured from the shooting model view. It doesnt matter what obscures the target. Only that its obscured counts.
   
Made in gb
Tunneling Trygon





 p5freak wrote:
 Stux wrote:

3.
Line of sight and cover are generally not related. You have cover if you are on terrain that grants cover, you just have to be on it.

A unit only only gets cover if every model is at least touching the relevant terrain. However if the models that were not on the terrain are removed as casualties then the rest of the unit immediately benefits from cover.


Only true for INFANTRY. In addition, any other units must be at 50% obscured from the shooting model view. It doesnt matter what obscures the target. Only that its obscured counts.


Yes, that's why I said generally, but it is important to note.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/13 10:55:42


 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Just thought. I hadn't seen it mentioned, but does a weapon double the strength of a models toughness still insta kill, regardless of wounds?
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Alphabet wrote:
Just thought. I hadn't seen it mentioned, but does a weapon double the strength of a models toughness still insta kill, regardless of wounds?
no
   
Made in gb
Waaagh! Ork Warboss





 Alphabet wrote:
Just thought. I hadn't seen it mentioned, but does a weapon double the strength of a models toughness still insta kill, regardless of wounds?
In short, no, Instant Death is no longer a thing. It's been replaced by the ability for the majority of high strength weapons to do multiple damage instead.

Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Because some people get their knickers in a twist, I'll list these RaW 'oddities' in my sig. Sadly GW's promise of fixing their broken rules has itself been broken. Zoom in to read them. RaW you cannot advance and then fire assault weapons, you can't shoot pistols if within 1" of an enemy; "minimum" ranges don't work; Seraphim have to re-roll saves that "fail" pre-re-roll; the game simply breaks if you ever have more than one wounded model in a unit; the game also breaks if a single rule ever tries to do multiple things simultaneously; Khârn punches himself in the face if he's not near some meatshields; Librarians on Bikes are locked to the Index power list, Howling Banshees can't declare a charge further than 12"; Spore Mines have an infinite range; Shroudpsalm technically doesn't do anything, only enemy models, not friendly models, have permission to move on top of a Skyshield Landing Pad; T'au have access to stackable Ignore Wounds (albeit against Mortal Wounds only); the T'au Early Warning Override Support System only works if a unit is "teleporting to the battlefield", not just arriving mid-battle; you can only ever use the Deathwatch Teleportarium Stratagem "once", and then never again in any battle after you use it; if a model splits fire, each weapon must target a different unit; a Tyrant Guard with Lashwhip can absorb an infinite amount of damage via Shieldwall between the time they die and the time they fight; Chapter Tactics on Successor Chapters don't actually do anything; Codex Leman Russ's can take an infinite amount of Hunter-Killer Missiles, Storm Bolters and Heavy Stubbers; Imothekh's 'Lord of the Storm' ability hits the "target unit" twice; "Airborne" units can't be charged by non-FLY units, but can be Heroically Intervened into, piled into, or consolidated into just fine by non-FLY units; Wave Serpents cannot be legally charged at by any model with a standard base; Slab Shields, along with the 'Take Cover!' stratagem no longer have any effect; and vehicles that are "slain" by a special effect do not trigger the "Explodes" ability.
--- Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities --- Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. 
   
Made in gb
Perfect Shot Dark Angels Predator Pilot





 Alphabet wrote:
Just thought. I hadn't seen it mentioned, but does a weapon double the strength of a models toughness still insta kill, regardless of wounds?
As others have said, no, the instant-death rule has been replaced with the damage mechanic.

However, it's also worth pointing out that the Wound chart has flattened significantly - having S>=2T is mechanically relevant, as this is the point at which you wound on 2+ instead of 3+.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





I have a question regarding the SW fenrisian great axe scythe.. it reads 'Make 2 hit rolls for each attack made with this weapon
instead of 1'..

Does this mean I get 8 attacks, or does it mean I roll two dice per attack and if both roll to hit I still get only the one attack?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Am I also right in thinking I can have the Fenrisian axe and shield with a heavy flamer?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/06 23:00:13


 
   
Made in us
Oozing Plague Marine Terminator




In My Lab

 Alphabet wrote:
I have a question regarding the SW fenrisian great axe scythe.. it reads 'Make 2 hit rolls for each attack made with this weapon
instead of 1'..

Does this mean I get 8 attacks, or does it mean I roll two dice per attack and if both roll to hit I still get only the one attack?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Am I also right in thinking I can have the Fenrisian axe and shield with a heavy flamer?


To the first, two hit rolls means two chances of hitting.

So, if your dread has 4 attacks, you make 8 hit rolls, potentially getting 8 wounds.
If you have a nearby buffer giving him +1 Attack, you make 10 hit rolls.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Thanks for that bud!
   
 
Forum Index » 40K You Make Da Call
Go to: