Switch Theme:

Hesitating which army to start, need help !  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Frenzied Juggernaut






Hi people. So I'd like to start a AoS army, but even while reading on 1d4chan I seem tohave some difficulties figuring it out.

I was wondering which army met the following criteria :

Medium model count
Good saves
Decent rend
Both decent at melee and range.
I thought about the Stormcast eternals, but I wad wondering if there were other options beside the Sigmarines.

Thank you to all those who answer.

 
   
Made in us
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Norwalk, Connecticut

Given your username, why not Khorne? New book coming in a couple weeks, new endless “items” (not spells), Skullcannons, Blood Warriors, some cheap chaff, and Daemons like Skarbrand. Not a ton of shooting, but there is some, can be VERY speedy, and your infantry can put down a ton of attacks.

Reality is a nice place to visit, but I'd hate to live there.

Manchu wrote:I'm a Catholic. We eat our God.


Due to work, I can usually only ship any sales or trades out on Saturday morning. Please trade/purchase with this in mind.  
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






Stormcast fit what you're describing the best I think, but dispossessed + ironweld could do it too by focusing on the more elite infantry. Kharadron fit the bill but also have a lot going on on top of that. Legion of Azgorh would do it but they are FW and thus pretty pricey. Stormfiend-focused Skaven come to mind as well.

"Putting a statement in quotations makes it seem more legitimate."
--Bette R. Withname

Imagine three people with the same set of values but radically different emotional states, each of them believes their position is more valid than the other two, they all post using the same account, and your job is to make it coherent. 
   
Made in no
Longtime Dakkanaut






no options but stormcast.

if you remove shooting, your selections gets bigger.

darkswordminiatures.com
gamersgrass.com
Collects: Flames of War/Tanks. Wings/Sails of Glory. Warmachine. SW Armada. Adeptus Titanicus. 
   
Made in ca
Terrifying Wraith





Canada

Sylvaneth

 
   
Made in ca
Frenzied Juggernaut






 FrozenDwarf wrote:
no options but stormcast.

if you remove shooting, your selections gets bigger.


Which one then ?

 
   
Made in us
Furious Fire Dragon






As a dispossessed player myself, I can't recommend them enough. More models than stormcast, but they're smaller which somewhat makes up for it. Their height can also be hilariously frustrating for your opponents ranged units, as I myself have found, as it's much harder to get los on them over the top of buildings and other terrain.
Focus on ironbreakers and irondrakes for your decent armour (4+ ignoring - 1 rend and the breakers reroll saves in combat if they didn't run or charge because of their shields). These units are also among the more expensive in the army, so there's your lower model count. Ironbreakers don't have rend of their own, outside of the leaders pistols if you take them, but they're still good in cc with 2 3+/4+ attacks each. Irondrakes are the real mvps imo. They each get a single 3+/3-/-1/1 attack at 16", but if the unit has at least 10 models and is more than 3" from any enemies they get double the shots. This includes the leaders grugehammer torpedo, which you should always use because it gets extra range, rend, and damage. They're also not helpless in cc, although it should be avoided because they're so much better at range.
Their rend or durability (not both at the same time unfortunately) can be buffed by the rune lord (our priest equivalent) if you need it.
Ironweld arsenal are allies, which means organ guns. Effectively irondrake guns but with 1-4D6 shots at a longer range. You can also take stormcast or the other dwarf factions as allies of you want. Stormcast in particular are good because they can patch your lack of spells and speed.
   
Made in us
Crazed Spirit of the Defiler





I think the Legion of Azgorh is a good option despite being a FW army. For Battleline you only need 3x10 Fireglaives. Then I'd recommend 2 Tauruks, couple Daemonsmiths and an Infernal Guard Standard Bearer. Round it out with 2-3 Magma Cannons (very easily made from those Ogor Iron Blaster cannon barrels and any wheeled chassis, then either a couple kitbashed Skullcracker Engines (since those are out of production now) and/or a couple of Iron Daemons (also kitbashable out of any assortment of smaller sized cannon barrels and wheeled chassis). Kdaai Fireborn can be your bum-rush fast unit to accompany Tauruks.

Ally with many good choices....Gutrot Spume and 5 Blightkings, a Sorcerer Lord on Steed for daemonic power, Skarr Bloodwrath because he can die and pop up later and deal with hordes pretty well from his Slaughterstorm attack, or how about Karanak to summon free Flesh Hounds.

Evil dwarves are fun!
   
Made in gb
Furious Fire Dragon






 Malathrim wrote:
I think the Legion of Azgorh is a good option despite being a FW army. For Battleline you only need 3x10 Fireglaives. Then I'd recommend 2 Tauruks, couple Daemonsmiths and an Infernal Guard Standard Bearer. Round it out with 2-3 Magma Cannons (very easily made from those Ogor Iron Blaster cannon barrels and any wheeled chassis, then either a couple kitbashed Skullcracker Engines (since those are out of production now) and/or a couple of Iron Daemons (also kitbashable out of any assortment of smaller sized cannon barrels and wheeled chassis). Kdaai Fireborn can be your bum-rush fast unit to accompany Tauruks.

Ally with many good choices....Gutrot Spume and 5 Blightkings, a Sorcerer Lord on Steed for daemonic power, Skarr Bloodwrath because he can die and pop up later and deal with hordes pretty well from his Slaughterstorm attack, or how about Karanak to summon free Flesh Hounds.

Evil dwarves are fun!


Without wishing to get too far off topic, it is important to note that forgeworld is not an option for some people. I don't know whether that is the case for op, but it's not just price. I would love to play chaos dwarves, but my lgs does not allow forgeworld.

For Khaela Mensha Khaine
For the Emperor and Sanguinius!
DS:90+S++G+++MB--IPw40k15#+D+A+/mWD-R+T(T)DM+ 
   
Made in us
Legendary Master of the Chapter






Since its coming up you could do skaven.

Skryer can get some very chunky models with decentish saves with very good punch, shooting and tricks. as well as lower model counts.

 Unit1126PLL wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
And yet another thread is hijacked for Unit to ask for the same advice, receive the same answers and make the same excuses.

Oh my god I'm becoming martel.
Send help!

 
   
Made in us
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Norwalk, Connecticut

Oh, yeah...that’s a good point. Go Skaven. They only need to be hoard if you want them to be. Elite Skaven are fun. Even back to the age of WHFB. Rat Ogors, lots of Ranger goodness, and some explosive hilarity to ensue.

Reality is a nice place to visit, but I'd hate to live there.

Manchu wrote:I'm a Catholic. We eat our God.


Due to work, I can usually only ship any sales or trades out on Saturday morning. Please trade/purchase with this in mind.  
   
Made in no
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Khornate25 wrote:
 FrozenDwarf wrote:
no options but stormcast.

if you remove shooting, your selections gets bigger.


Which one then ?


well, non comp, of what i know(dont know anything about chaos) i would say

seraphon, beastclaw raiders, troggoth fokused gloomspite, morghast fokused legions of nagash.
i have heard that beasts of chaos hits like a train but i havent read the tome so idk personly.

darkswordminiatures.com
gamersgrass.com
Collects: Flames of War/Tanks. Wings/Sails of Glory. Warmachine. SW Armada. Adeptus Titanicus. 
   
 
Forum Index » AoS War Council
Go to: