Switch Theme:

Psychic Awakening N&R - OP updated with rumoured release schedule  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Battlefortress Driver with Krusha Wheel






Hi All

Intro:

Spoiler:
Seems that GW have started to roll out a little bit of information regarding the psychic awakening, starting with their dedicated website here;

https://www.warhammer-community.com/psychic-awakening/

I thought I'd make this thread to discuss all things during this campaign - should be interesting to all of us because GW have stated that ALL factions will be getting new stuff, whether rules or models!

The current focus/story is "Phoenix Rising" - seems that the Aeldari factions are starting to kick off between each other (that I LOVE by the way) and something of a civil war has started.

Here's the text from the site if anyone is interested;

GW wrote:The ancient and proud Aeldari race is split into various factions. The stoic and noble Asuryani live their lives adrift on planet-sized Craftworlds. The depraved Drukhari venture forth from the dark metropolis of Commorragh to raid and pillage. The mysterious Harlequins travel the galaxy according to their unfathomable whims via the webway. And the newly formed Ynnari, comprised of members from all walks of Aeldari life, are united in the desire to awaken Ynnead, god of the dead.

The Aeldari are a psychically sensitive race, and the fragile balance between these disparate cultures has been disturbed by the Psychic Awakening. These factions have become embroiled in a full-scale internecine war for the future of their people.

Ancient divisions yawn ever wider, the complex fabric of alliances and uneasy truces unravels, and self-righteous leaders on all sides attempt to rally support for their causes.


I find a few things in the text and on the site interesting;

1. The inter-factional war is cool both from fluff perspective (I never liked the idea of classic Eldar and Dark Eldar fighting together) and a rules perspective.To me it might allow buffs for a "Pure" Craftworld/Drukhari/Ynnari army like what we've seen with Combat Doctrines and SM.
2. Who's going to be fighting who? Keen to find out!
3. "Self righteous" leaders is an interesting take - I wonder who it refers to?
4. On the site when you click on the Phoenix Rising part of the map and information it brings up a new panel with what looks to me like Swooping Hawks wings at the top of the pop up and a scourge on the left, Drukhari will feature then?
5. We know that new Howling Banshees are coming, how are they linked? Are the Craftworlders or even different aspects kicking off against each other?!

Anyway sorry for the ramble, just wanted to share and start a discussion!

What do you all think?

Update 6/10/19 -

 An Actual Englishman wrote:
Updated schedule and apparently there will be a LOT more than just 5 books;

Kikass wrote:just told me in the headset that the schedule will go a little faster than expected



Volume 1: Asuryani vs. Drukhari (October 2019)

Volume 2 : Chaos vs BT (end of November)

Volume 3: Blood Angels vs. Tyranids (before 2020)

Volume 4: SW vs Ork (inevitably after)

And there are many more than 4 books that answers my question from above



Update 21/10/19 -
Kikasstou Kikasstou
Posted 8 hours ago
9 hours ago, zamerion said:
And the content of the PA2 box do you know?



I read somewhere that there would be no box for PA2 (and a priori not for PA3)


This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 2019/10/21 07:18:03


 
   
Made in us
Infiltrating Broodlord




Lake County, Illinois

4. I think that art is just a dark eldar scourge.
   
Made in gb
Battlefortress Driver with Krusha Wheel






 Albino Squirrel wrote:
4. I think that art is just a dark eldar scourge.

Ah - right you are! Thank you very much for the info!
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 An Actual Englishman wrote:

3. "Self righteous" leaders is an interesting take - I wonder who it refers to?


All of them. Hubris may not be a uniquely Eldar trait, but they do it better than anyone.

 An Actual Englishman wrote:

4. On the site when you click on the Phoenix Rising part of the map and information it brings up a new panel with what looks to me like Swooping Hawks wings at the top of the pop up and a scourge on the left, Drukhari will feature then?


Yeah that's just a Scourge.

 An Actual Englishman wrote:

5. We know that new Howling Banshees are coming, how are they linked? Are the Craftworlders or even different aspects kicking off against each other?!


Jain Zar, the Phoenix Lord of the Howling Banshee Aspect is at present a big fan of Yvraine. And if you dont think the PLs are being updated alongside their Aspects, you're bonkers.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

My only sadness is no mention of Dinosaur Riding Eldar! That said the artwork on the page for a swooping hawk looks great! I'm reminded of the great feather wings that scourges have for Dark Eldar and seeing those in Eldar would be great - esp if they are a bit more fancy and grand than the dark eldar version.

That said there isn't really all that much to get excited about yet - at least not until something happens in the story and the Banshee's come out. Then I think there will be a lot of spark for interest as well as seeing how things twist and turn out.

A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
Made in be
Been Around the Block





The map has a very large empty area on the right. Almost like we might have a focus beyond even the Eastern Fringes.

Spoiler:

See what I mean?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/06 18:44:56


 
   
Made in gb
Battlefortress Driver with Krusha Wheel






Sterling191 wrote:
 An Actual Englishman wrote:

5. We know that new Howling Banshees are coming, how are they linked? Are the Craftworlders or even different aspects kicking off against each other?!


Jain Zar, the Phoenix Lord of the Howling Banshee Aspect is at present a big fan of Yvraine. And if you dont think the PLs are being updated alongside their Aspects, you're bonkers.

Have they said they're going to update all of the aspects? AFAIK it's only Banshees. So Jain Zar is 99% certain but will that be it?

E - what I thought was the imprint of a future button is actually the Tau Empire, I thought it was larger than that? It's bloody tiny! Anyway, Tau are nearby.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Segersgia wrote:
The map has a very large empty area on the right. Almost like we might have a focus beyond even the Eastern Fringes.

Spoiler:

See what I mean?


Ooooh that's big (both in terms of news and the empty space).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/09/06 18:48:19


 
   
Made in fi
Furious Raptor



Finland

 Segersgia wrote:
The map has a very large empty area on the right. Almost like we might have a focus beyond even the Eastern Fringes.

Spoiler:

See what I mean?
I came to say this, I don't think the map has ever been extended so far. What's supposed to be there, if anyone has deep fluff knowledge please do share.

I just know the Tsagualsa from Night Lords stories is supposed to be in that area near Eastern Fringes but I'm having hard time believing they (NL) would carry any sort of significance in this upcoming Psychic Awakening.
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




Insert conspiracy theory about the new race who's skulls have appeared in various pieces of art that may be the ones driving the tyranid swarms before them.
Or it could be space left to insert graphics for story line information pop-ups.
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch





Dallas area, TX

We might be reading more into that than we need to. That empty space could just be there for text blocks, but someone forgot to:
A) add a text block there or
B) zoom in/center the image if a text block wasn't; intended

-

   
Made in au
[MOD]
Cutting stuff up and bunging it back together in new and interesting ways.






Under the couch

Ghorgul wrote:

See what I mean?[/spoiler]
I came to say this, I don't think the map has ever been extended so far. What's supposed to be there, if anyone has deep fluff knowledge please do share.

Lots of Tyranids, for one thing.

   
Made in us
Commoragh-bound Peer





Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we're going to be seeing any model releases other than rereleasing the Banshees in plastic and maybe, maybe, a new Jain Zar.

With what's felt like a non stop slew of Imperial and Chaos releases lately, I don't know how they would manage to make anything for Eldar with what little development time remained after all that.

It's nice that Eldar are getting some attention, but anyone expecting more than the bare minimum in terms of models from this are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Douglas Adams wrote:If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat.

 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut




 onlyroad wrote:
Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we're going to be seeing any model releases other than rereleasing the Banshees in plastic and maybe, maybe, a new Jain Zar.

With what's felt like a non stop slew of Imperial and Chaos releases lately, I don't know how they would manage to make anything for Eldar with what little development time remained after all that.

It's nice that Eldar are getting some attention, but anyone expecting more than the bare minimum in terms of models from this are setting themselves up for disappointment.


Not sure how that adds up.

A) They have not just been doing Imperial and Chaos lately. Have you seen the new range of Bone-guys for AoS? Halflings and Lizardmen for BB. The planes for AI. The various Warcry stuff. New Blackstone Fortress etc..

B) The development time can be spread around. Most miniatures GW does are designed about 1-2 years before going into production as far as we can fathom from rumour engines, the leaks of olden days, etc.., but that doesn't mean there is variation in there. The "new" Eldar jetbike was formally leaked some 4-5 years before it went to the shelves. Inversely, other miniatures might be fast tracked. There's no hinz they were developed in the same time as, say, the Shadowspear box.

C) Precisely because auf digital sculpting and libraries of CAD files, it usually doesn't make sense to do one-offs (though GW still does them, e.g. Blood Bowl). There's a reason GW didn't just re-do Plague Marines in plastic and called it a day. If you have a server full of nurgely design-elements, it's basically no design time at all to slap them on dozens of other basic CAD frames and churn out Terminators, Characters, Tanks, whathaveyou at little to no extra development time.

In fact, I am kinda hoping for some GW restrain and "only" re-does the aspects, not using the Plague Bearer / Rubric Marine / Harlequin playbook of turning dated Elite-slot choices into entire mini-dexes, because why not?







This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2019/09/06 20:01:20


 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




Sterling191 wrote:

Jain Zar, the Phoenix Lord of the Howling Banshee Aspect is at present a big fan of Yvraine. And if you dont think the PLs are being updated alongside their Aspects, you're bonkers.


Eh. I won't be surprised if they're disposed of in Warhammer Legends and never addressed again.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut




Voss wrote:
Sterling191 wrote:

Jain Zar, the Phoenix Lord of the Howling Banshee Aspect is at present a big fan of Yvraine. And if you dont think the PLs are being updated alongside their Aspects, you're bonkers.


Eh. I won't be surprised if they're disposed of in Warhammer Legends and never addressed again.


They are in the Craftworld Codex. Cannot "Legends" them until Craftworlds Codex 2.0, and even that I find doubtful.

Index stuff like Warpspider-Autarch, sure.. .but stuff in the Codex I would assume they put in there to keep.


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/09/06 20:12:21


 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Sunny Side Up wrote:
B) The development time can be spread around. Most miniatures GW does are designed about 1-2 years before going into production as far as we can fathom from rumour engines, the leaks of olden days, etc.., but that doesn't mean there is variation in there. The "new" Eldar jetbike was formally leaked some 4-5 years before it went to the shelves. Inversely, other miniatures might be fast tracked. There's no hinz they were developed in the same time as, say, the Shadowspear box.



Better than that. Bikes were designed decade before actually release. They just never got appropriate release slot for them. Plastic wraithguard got the previous one.

Yeah not buying "they don't have time". They don't design and immediately release things. For all we know plastic aspects were designed BEFORE all these new imperial and chaos models were designed and are just waiting for GW to decide time is right to release them!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/06 20:13:15


https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/10/20/tneva82-tournament-report/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
Committed Chaos Cult Marine






Sunny Side Up wrote:
Voss wrote:
Sterling191 wrote:

Jain Zar, the Phoenix Lord of the Howling Banshee Aspect is at present a big fan of Yvraine. And if you dont think the PLs are being updated alongside their Aspects, you're bonkers.


Eh. I won't be surprised if they're disposed of in Warhammer Legends and never addressed again.


They are in the Craftworld Codex. Cannot "Legends" them until Craftworlds Codex 2.0, and even that I find doubtful.

Index stuff like Warpspider-Autarch, sure.. .but stuff in the Codex I would assume they put in there to keep.




I am a firm believer in trends.

I think it is pretty clear the intent is to fully update all out of date models, mixed with new models. Every space marine character will go "primaris" and the phoneix lords will likely all be 'reborne" or something along those lines with full new hp kits.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
tneva82 wrote:
Sunny Side Up wrote:
B) The development time can be spread around. Most miniatures GW does are designed about 1-2 years before going into production as far as we can fathom from rumour engines, the leaks of olden days, etc.., but that doesn't mean there is variation in there. The "new" Eldar jetbike was formally leaked some 4-5 years before it went to the shelves. Inversely, other miniatures might be fast tracked. There's no hinz they were developed in the same time as, say, the Shadowspear box.



Better than that. Bikes were designed decade before actually release. They just never got appropriate release slot for them. Plastic wraithguard got the previous one.

Yeah not buying "they don't have time". They don't design and immediately release things. For all we know plastic aspects were designed BEFORE all these new imperial and chaos models were designed and are just waiting for GW to decide time is right to release them!


I still think all of the new CHaos stuff from 2.0 was designed during 6th edition and delayed for some reason.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/06 20:27:56


 
   
Made in us
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM






Sunny Side Up wrote:

B) The development time can be spread around. Most miniatures GW does are designed about 1-2 years before going into production as far as we can fathom from rumour engines, the leaks of olden days, etc.., but that doesn't mean there is variation in there. The "new" Eldar jetbike was formally leaked some 4-5 years before it went to the shelves. Inversely, other miniatures might be fast tracked. There's no hinz they were developed in the same time as, say, the Shadowspear box.


This is not true, the jetbike is a fluke
GW mostly flies by the seat of its pants, the release schedule and the design schedule are two different things
most of the previews we've seen, were previews just as they were approved to have molds cut

Godforge custom 3d printing / professional level casting masters and design:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GodForge 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Togusa wrote:

I still think all of the new CHaos stuff from 2.0 was designed during 6th edition and delayed for some reason.


No evidence it is so. No evidence it is not so either. Certainly possibility is there.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Grundz wrote:
Sunny Side Up wrote:

B) The development time can be spread around. Most miniatures GW does are designed about 1-2 years before going into production as far as we can fathom from rumour engines, the leaks of olden days, etc.., but that doesn't mean there is variation in there. The "new" Eldar jetbike was formally leaked some 4-5 years before it went to the shelves. Inversely, other miniatures might be fast tracked. There's no hinz they were developed in the same time as, say, the Shadowspear box.


This is not true, the jetbike is a fluke
GW mostly flies by the seat of its pants, the release schedule and the design schedule are two different things
most of the previews we've seen, were previews just as they were approved to have molds cut


It was longer than usual but 2 year is quite normal. There's often enough been year markings on sprues to prove that. Model that released in 2018 has 2016 in sprue etc.

People keep underestimating lead times. GW doesn't do things on the fly. Age of Sigmar design proces started in 2012. Released in what? 2015?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/06 20:45:33


https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/10/20/tneva82-tournament-report/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Not sure what the whole thing is about, but any hint of Banshees is exciting.

Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




I'm pretty sure that the empty space is just where a text box would normally go in codex art. The one with the list of campaigns or symbol keys.
   
Made in us
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM






tneva82 wrote:

It was longer than usual but 2 year is quite normal. There's often enough been year markings on sprues to prove that. Model that released in 2018 has 2016 in sprue etc.

People keep underestimating lead times. GW doesn't do things on the fly. Age of Sigmar design proces started in 2012. Released in what? 2015?


In 2012 they weren't cutting molds in house

I could cut a sisters mold in about 20 hours on a tormach with half an hour to an hour of prep

This is not really a difficult process to get under control

Godforge custom 3d printing / professional level casting masters and design:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GodForge 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Segersgia wrote:
The map has a very large empty area on the right. Almost like we might have a focus beyond even the Eastern Fringes.

Spoiler:

See what I mean?


The Silent King and his Necron loyalists vs Tyranids as a future instalment would be cool.

 Galef wrote:
We might be reading more into that than we need to. That empty space could just be there for text blocks, but someone forgot to:
A) add a text block there or
B) zoom in/center the image if a text block wasn't; intended

-


But this is probably the truth of it.
   
Made in gb
Deadly Dire Avenger




Scotland

I think plastic Jain Zar is quite likely given the whole Phoenix Rising stuff. What i really want to see is the Avatar of Khaine given the same up-scaling and plastic treatment as the Chaos Greater Daemons (though its probably never going to happen).

The Avatar used to be the biggest of bads in 40k with a whopping S and T 8 and a 2+ save that couldn't get worse than 4+. Now even a meer Carnifex has better toughness.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/09/06 21:00:51


Space Wolves - Alpha Legion - Biel-Tan - Reikland - Lizardmen of Hexoatl - Slaaneshi Daemons
 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Grundz wrote:
tneva82 wrote:

It was longer than usual but 2 year is quite normal. There's often enough been year markings on sprues to prove that. Model that released in 2018 has 2016 in sprue etc.

People keep underestimating lead times. GW doesn't do things on the fly. Age of Sigmar design proces started in 2012. Released in what? 2015?


In 2012 they weren't cutting molds in house

I could cut a sisters mold in about 20 hours on a tormach with half an hour to an hour of prep

This is not really a difficult process to get under control


Yes. OF course that's not the whole process. It's real simple. GW operates with long schedules. It's been proven over and over again. They aren't just improvising things on the fly. Again you just need to look at sprues. Plenty of evidence there of 1-2 year gap between sprue design and release.

It's how they operate. It works. they have no need to fix what ain't broken.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/10/20/tneva82-tournament-report/ <- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




I can see with the factions starting to break up that the banshees might side with the Yvraine along with maybe wyches as the most senior of leaders for each are already on her side.
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





Well about damn time the knife ears get an updated range.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in us
Wicked Canoptek Wraith






GoatboyBeta wrote:
The Silent King and his Necron loyalists vs Tyranids as a future instalment would be cool.


And we could get our Pariah back too. IIRC, once upon a time, Necrons were directly anti-psychic, at least in the fluff.

But really, there is a very strong possibility that all Necrons get are 1-2 pages of not-particularly-useful rules. Fingers crossed that's not the case though...

"Wir sehen hiemit wieder die Sprache als das Dasein des Geistes." - The Phenomenology of Spirit 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

Not Online!!! wrote:
Well about damn time the knife ears get an updated range.


They are basically the last ones in 40K at present. Which is not to say that there isn't room to still update/remove finecast and to add new models or update old plastics in other ranges; but that Craftworlders are very much the last. I hope that they get a good slew of releases to update their aspect warrior lines and add a few more neat things to the range. Give them a proper series of updates and new sculpts to really get them back on track.

A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
Made in us
Committed Chaos Cult Marine






 DivineVisitor wrote:
I think plastic Jain Zar is quite likely given the whole Phoenix Rising stuff. What i really want to see is the Avatar of Khaine given the same up-scaling and plastic treatment as the Chaos Greater Daemons (though its probably never going to happen).

The Avatar used to be the biggest of bads in 40k with a whopping S and T 8 and a 2+ save that couldn't get worse than 4+. Now even a meer Carnifex has better toughness.


THIS. It's what I've said in the last two community surveys, practically begging for it.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: