Switch Theme:

White Dwarf Reviews?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




Does anyone still post written reviews of White Dwarf on a forum, blog or other written format?
The only review I can find for issue 450 is a video and I don't have inclination or ability to watch a video over my lunch at work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/01/17 19:40:41


 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran






Wait, they went back to including the ussue numbers?

If I still cared about White Dwarf, this would change everything!
What's next, the conclusion to the Battle of Tanrak series..?


   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

 Lord Damocles wrote:
Wait, they went back to including the ussue numbers?

If I still cared about White Dwarf, this would change everything!
What's next, the conclusion to the Battle of Tanrak series..?

Yes, this will be the first issue resuming issue numbers since mid 2016

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/03/white-dwarf-preview-issue-450gw-homepage-post-2fw-homepage-post-4/

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran






WD is the worst its ever been.

If you play W40K, AoS and 1 to 2 specialist games, you'll love it.

If you play only one game, it's a complete waste of time, effort.and money.

For example, I'm interested in only W40K and hobby related articles. About 18% of the total content in WD #450 is relevant to my interests. That's a pathetically low % for a $10.00 USD magazine.

This has been the case for quite some time as they try to pack more and more different game content and sadly, rules, into the magazine.

It simply no longer has any real value.
   
Made in us
Napoleonics Obsesser




MN

 oni wrote:
WD is the worst its ever been.

If you play W40K, AoS and 1 to 2 specialist games, you'll love it.

If you play only one game, it's a complete waste of time, effort.and money.

For example, I'm interested in only W40K and hobby related articles. About 18% of the total content in WD #450 is relevant to my interests. That's a pathetically low % for a $10.00 USD magazine.

This has been the case for quite some time as they try to pack more and more different game content and sadly, rules, into the magazine.

It simply no longer has any real value.


I am confused.....

Isn't this what "people" claim they want?


Do you like Free Wargames?
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran






 oni wrote:
WD is the worst its ever been.

If you play W40K, AoS and 1 to 2 specialist games, you'll love it.

If you play only one game, it's a complete waste of time, effort.and money.

For example, I'm interested in only W40K and hobby related articles. About 18% of the total content in WD #450 is relevant to my interests. That's a pathetically low % for a $10.00 USD magazine.

This has been the case for quite some time as they try to pack more and more different game content and sadly, rules, into the magazine.

It simply no longer has any real value.

What do you propose as a solution, exactly? - that White Dwarf should skew heavily (ie. exclusively) towards a single system per issue? Doesn't that just exagerate the problem for everybody who isn't you?
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran






I doubt there's a perfect answer.

I'm a long standing reader. I have every issue going all the way back to June 2008 and had a lot of earlier ones going back to 1994 (the ones prior to 1994 unfortunately got thrown out). I've seen WD go through a lot of changes over the years; some good, some less than good, but I've always been able to enjoy it. Maybe not ever single issue, but the publication as a whole.

There have been era's where yes, they would dedicate a whole issue to W40K, or a whole issue to WFB, or a whole issue to AoS when that became a thing. There have been times where WD was about a 50:50 split W40K:WFB or heavily weighted to one like 70:30 and then alternating which it was weighted towards from month to month. They've tried a lot of things. Even doing WD on a weekly basis with small booklets.

Recently however (recently being the last several months / issues) it seems like they've adopted a fixed percentage of space allotment for each game and every game gets included. It's almost like WD is doing fixed print volumes and therefore need to try and be as wide spread and varied as possible. Well, it's impossible to please 100% of the people 100% of time. So this just doesn't work. If WD is consistently only publishing ~18 to 25% of content that is of interest to any single reader than this leads to an overall devaluing of the publication. Do you want to spend your money on something that's mostly uninteresting to you?

If it were my decision, the magazine would be divided up based on game popularity and account for spikes in popularity due to new releases. Popularity would be determined by historic and projected sales figures for the games. Print volume would be tied directly to game popularity and that games sales figures, cuz gotta sell every copy, right?

   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran






angryboy2k wrote:
Does anyone still post written reviews of White Dwarf on a forum, blog or other written format?
The only review I can find for issue 450 is a video and I don't have inclination or ability to watch a video over my lunch at work.

Here you go
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




Thank you!
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: