Switch Theme:

9th edition is already dead in the water (IGO/UGO)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Continuing with the highly degenerate and toxic UGO/IGO system is pointless.

They've got several other games using alternating activations which are all universally considered better than 8th, yet they've chosen to ignore it.

No reason to even read more about 9th.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/06/01 19:46:50


"'players must agree how they are going to select their armies, and if any restrictions apply to the number and type of models they can use."

This is an actual rule in the actual rulebook. Quit whining about how you can imagine someone's army touching you in a bad place and play by the actual rules.


Freelance Ontologist

When people ask, "What's the point in understanding everything?" they've just disqualified themselves from using questions and should disappear in a puff of paradox. But they don't understand and just continue existing, which are also their only two strategies for life. 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Fine. Sell your armies then and don't post here. Good bye.

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4663
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in au
Fresh-Faced New User




Obvious troll is obvious.
   
Made in ie
Preacher of the Emperor





tneva82 wrote:
Fine. Sell your armies then and don't post here. Good bye.


If we got rid of all the people who claim [current edition] 40k is an awful game Dakka would lose like 70% of the people who post here.

 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Feel free to check the poll results of whether Apocalypse is better at being a 40k game than 40k is.

How many more years of unlimited turn one command points to lose half your army before you start playing do you really want?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/06/01 19:17:29


"'players must agree how they are going to select their armies, and if any restrictions apply to the number and type of models they can use."

This is an actual rule in the actual rulebook. Quit whining about how you can imagine someone's army touching you in a bad place and play by the actual rules.


Freelance Ontologist

When people ask, "What's the point in understanding everything?" they've just disqualified themselves from using questions and should disappear in a puff of paradox. But they don't understand and just continue existing, which are also their only two strategies for life. 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
The World Killer.




The best State-Texas

Not sure how this post is supposed to foster any kind of discussion. Seems like something you should put on Facebook or your blog.


4000+
6000+ Order. Unity. Obedience.
Thousand Sons 4000+ 
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

DarknessEternal wrote:Continuing with the highly degenerate and toxic UGO/IGO system is pointless.

They've got several other games using alternating activations which are all universally considered better than 8th, yet they've chosen to ignore it.

No reason to even read more about 9th.
Cool. How much are you selling your armies for? Not that you'll be keeping them or sticking around in the 40k section of the forum, if you're so adamant about 9th being trash.

And hey, I'm being serious - more power to you. You've presumably made the smart decision to know when it's time to quit and enjoy doing something else with your time, such as not interacting with any 40k stuff for the duration of 9th. Now, if you'd care to put that smart decision into practice...

Read the history of the Charadon Crusade: The Crusade of Fury was at an end.
Join the Crion Crusade: I think it's the combination of butt jokes, democratic necrons, explosions, and mind-fething that draws people to this Crusade like moths to a bug zapper - War Kitten
Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in nl
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller






your mind

Yeah... I can be negative too. Frankly, I was so eager for 8th, was so disappointed in it that I was glad to have been so busy with work to never be able to play, and now... am excited for 9th but who knows. IgoUgo worked for 2nd ed well enough, anyways, with some tweaks... why not now? Maybe there will be alternating activations for "crusade" or command point based out of turn unit activations will be common for everyone. We dont know. It is a bit early yet to kill the baby.

   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

 Sim-Life wrote:
If we got rid of all the people who claim [current edition] 40k is an awful game Dakka would lose like 70% of the people who post here.
Would that be such a bad thing?

Read the history of the Charadon Crusade: The Crusade of Fury was at an end.
Join the Crion Crusade: I think it's the combination of butt jokes, democratic necrons, explosions, and mind-fething that draws people to this Crusade like moths to a bug zapper - War Kitten
Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 DarknessEternal wrote:
Feel free to check the poll results of whether Apocalypse is better at being a 40k game than 40k is.

How many more years of unlimited turn one command points to lose half your army before you start playing do you really want?


So either it's not dead game or you are hypocrite seeing you still keep posting about 40k...

Good job.

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4663
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

I don’t agree with OP that Ninth is DOA. But I think IGO/UGO is one of those sacred cows that should be reconsidered. Alternating activation of units does really feel more dynamic and engaging to me; specifically, I think it de-emphasizes strategic play in favor of tactical play, which seems more appropriate to the scale of 40k. IGO/UGO feels like a holdover from the historical mass battles mindset via WHFB.

   
Made in nl
Numberless Necron Warrior





Dear lord this really is peak dakka, isn't it?

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

 Drachii wrote:
Dear lord this really is peak dakka, isn't it?
OP is being hyperbolic, clearly. But there are people who are put off by IGO/UGO design; that’s a totally legitimate point of discussion.

   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Manchu wrote:
I don’t agree with OP that Ninth is DOA. But I think IGO/UGO is one of those sacred cows that should be reconsidered. Alternating activation of units does really feel more dynamic and engaging to me; specifically, I think it de-emphasizes strategic play in favor of tactical play, which seems more appropriate to the scale of 40k. IGO/UGO feels like a holdover from the historical mass battles mindset via WHFB.


I disagree with the OP but it's certainly a question worth discussing.

I think that besides the 25+ year legacy of the game rules IGO/UGO persists because it puts a lot of the burden for winning on army building (and more importantly buying) rather than in play tactics.

This requires a lot more engagement on the part of players than a game where you can respond to your enemy during the match. It's a feature, not a bug.

EDIT-Made the title clearer

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/06/01 19:47:15


 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

Yeah army building is certainly one of the elements I had in mind when I implied 40k was “strategic.” But this-era GW seems to be gradually side-lining purely competitive play in favor of various kinds of narrative-focused developments (at this point, Crusade). So maybe it is time to reconsider this particular sacred cow.

   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
 Manchu wrote:
I don’t agree with OP that Ninth is DOA. But I think IGO/UGO is one of those sacred cows that should be reconsidered. Alternating activation of units does really feel more dynamic and engaging to me; specifically, I think it de-emphasizes strategic play in favor of tactical play, which seems more appropriate to the scale of 40k. IGO/UGO feels like a holdover from the historical mass battles mindset via WHFB.


I disagree with the OP but it's certainly a question worth discussing.

I think that besides the 25+ year legacy of the game rules IGO/UGO persists because it puts a lot of the burden for winning on army building (and more importantly buying) rather than in play tactics.

This requires a lot more engagement on the part of players than a game where you can respond to your enemy during the match. It's a feature, not a bug.


Because no AA game has EVER ended up with a heavy emphasis on listbuilding as well as on table play...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/06/01 19:43:41


2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in us
Powerful Phoenix Lord






While I agree with the OP's point....the fact that you used the word "degenerate" and "toxic" ...you now get zero points. Internet buzzwords are fething obnoxious.

 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 Kid_Kyoto wrote:
 Manchu wrote:
I don’t agree with OP that Ninth is DOA. But I think IGO/UGO is one of those sacred cows that should be reconsidered. Alternating activation of units does really feel more dynamic and engaging to me; specifically, I think it de-emphasizes strategic play in favor of tactical play, which seems more appropriate to the scale of 40k. IGO/UGO feels like a holdover from the historical mass battles mindset via WHFB.


I disagree with the OP but it's certainly a question worth discussing.

I think that besides the 25+ year legacy of the game rules IGO/UGO persists because it puts a lot of the burden for winning on army building (and more importantly buying) rather than in play tactics.

This requires a lot more engagement on the part of players than a game where you can respond to your enemy during the match. It's a feature, not a bug.

Exactly. Why is it more fun to wait an hour to do anything? Strats honestly don't count because they're overall the same "oh defensive buff of some kind", which honestly is not engaging in any form. Also that costs resources.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

I can’t tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with Kid_Kyoto.

   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle





In My Lab

IGOUGO is not inherently bad.

For a game 40k's size, though, it'd likely be better to move to Alternating Activations. Assuming GW did it right, which is... You know, not likely.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in eg
[MOD]
Keeper of the Adeptus Arbites Flame






Cairo, Egypt

 Manchu wrote:
I can’t tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with Kid_Kyoto.


I'm at the point where I think 3 of us could write a better rule system over a pint at the bar.

But that's not the point. GW is not in business to write great rules, they never have. Their business is synergizing cool models and complex ever-changing rules that require heavy buy in and monthly commitments (in time and attention at least if not in money) to keep up.

And well, I'm here, so obviously it works. However many times I have thrown up my hands and said THAT'S IT!

So basically I think this thread is 'Young Man Yells at Cloud'.

But we should at least know why things are like this.

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Street Judge






RVA

ERJAK wrote:
Because no AA game has EVER ended up with a heavy emphasis on listbuilding as well as on table play...
Army building is certainly an important element of games that don’t use IGO/UGO but it seems more important in games that do because those games are structured so that the players use all of their forces in a coordinated, uninterrupted manner, all at once.
 Elbows wrote:
the fact that you used the word "degenerate" and "toxic"
Yeah it’s hard to see how these are not just being used a synonyms for “something I don’t like.” I’m not sure how IGO/UGO is either degenerate or toxic, and I’m no fan of IGO/UGO.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/06/01 19:52:50


   
Made in us
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought






 DarknessEternal wrote:
How many more years of unlimited turn one command points to lose half your army before you start playing do you really want?

You could fix that in lots of ways besides alternating activations. Better terrain rules, 'escalating' rules for engagements (a la Omega level rules in 4th edition), are some examples. From what I've heard about 9th they might be going this route.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in ca
Revving Ravenwing Biker



Canada

 DarknessEternal wrote:
Feel free to check the poll results of whether Apocalypse is better at being a 40k game than 40k is.

How many more years of unlimited turn one command points to lose half your army before you start playing do you really want?


A poll on Dakka and $1.80 CAD will get you a coffee. How is Apocalypse doing out there in the wild after a year? I bought it, played it once and now it sits on the shelf for lack of opponents. I certainly don't see it played in either of the gaming communities I frequent. For some reason people (including me) prefer to play 40K with our gaming time. Weird eh?

All you have to do is fire three rounds a minute, and stand 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




Because people already have core rules for 40k and didn't want to pay for more rules again

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
The World Killer.




The best State-Texas

 Manchu wrote:
ERJAK wrote:
Because no AA game has EVER ended up with a heavy emphasis on listbuilding as well as on table play...
Army building is certainly an important element of games that don’t use IGO/UGO but it seems more important in games that do because those games are structured so that the players use all of their forces in a coordinated, uninterrupted manner, all at once.
 Elbows wrote:
the fact that you used the word "degenerate" and "toxic"
Yeah it’s hard to see how these are not just being used a synonyms for “something I don’t like.” I’m not sure how IGO/UGO is either degenerate or toxic, and I’m no fan of IGO/UGO.



There are plenty of merits for both systems, but this thread wasn't framed for a discussion. It's just about the op complaining.


4000+
6000+ Order. Unity. Obedience.
Thousand Sons 4000+ 
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

 Sasori wrote:
There are plenty of merits for both systems, but this thread wasn't framed for a discussion. It's just about the op complaining.
Exactly. All you have to do is look at the title, and the purpose of the thread is made very clear.

Read the history of the Charadon Crusade: The Crusade of Fury was at an end.
Join the Crion Crusade: I think it's the combination of butt jokes, democratic necrons, explosions, and mind-fething that draws people to this Crusade like moths to a bug zapper - War Kitten
Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran





 DarknessEternal wrote:
Continuing with the highly degenerate and toxic UGO/IGO system is pointless.

They've got several other games using alternating activations which are all universally considered better than 8th, yet they've chosen to ignore it.

No reason to even read more about 9th.


I won't tell you to quit and sell your models (though it's an option).

But I will tell you to play Kill Team or Apocalypse and leave the rest of us alone. Only because this topic comes up all the time, and I always write lengthy posts that are diplomatic and polite. It is perhaps unfair to assume that you are the same person, or one of the group who consistently post this, but there you have it.

I've been politely pointing out for two years that you can solve your own problem, and that if you refuse to do so, it is a choice. And only you are in charge of your choices.

For those of us that have enjoyed IGOUGO for 31 uninterrupted years, when GW says: the game you love, only better, well, we're the ones they are talking to; I respect AA games. They are fun- I have two by GW that I can play. 40k is what I play when I feel like a break from AA, which is frequently, because AA games don't let you take breaks, where as IGOUGO leaves you a built in space to go to to the bathroom, prepare the food and drinks or change the music.

But I guess some people prefer a world where only they win to a world where everybody wins, so some people will always suggest modifying everything to fit their desires rather than using the tools they've already been given.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/06/01 20:05:57


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
 Sasori wrote:
There are plenty of merits for both systems, but this thread wasn't framed for a discussion. It's just about the op complaining.
Exactly. All you have to do is look at the title, and the purpose of the thread is made very clear.

He's not wrong though. GW manages to screw it up early in the edition. However the least they could do is actually make a ruleset that's interactive. IGOUGO is not that. If I can run to a nearby store and grab something to eat while my opponent is taking a turn, there's clearly a flaw in the core rules in the "game" where two people should be playing.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in es
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain




Vigo. Spain.

IGOUGO works well for alternate phases like gw's LOTR does it. When is ALL of the phases like 40k it becomes too much.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: