Switch Theme:

9th edition ab-human support?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Beaverton OR


Greetings everyone,
So I'm still pretty excited for the changes in 9th edition, and one of the big hopes I have is for new ways to play the Astra Militarium (Imperial Guard for us old-timers!)

Specifically: I would love to see more abhuman models and units available, and some more love for those that already exist. Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything really bad about Ogryn/Bullgryn right now, and the ratlings are in a decent place, but I would love to see some more options out there. Heck, I think it would be pretty dang cool if we got a whole chapter-tactic thing specifically for Ab-human guard. It's probably unlikely, but it's one of my big wants with the IG right now.

I think that if GW wanted to they could add some really fun new options for playing guard this way. I'm thinking some sort of dreadnought style armor thing for the Ogryn, maybe a ratling version of the grot-tanks, a few new HQ choices... really there are all kinds of cool ideas we could see!

So what do YOU think? Any chance that 9th might open up some more abhuman shenanigans for the guard? Will we see any new abhuman models? Any particular Ab-human units/rules/ect that you would really enjoy?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Gig Harbor, WA

leerm02 wrote:

Greetings everyone,
So I'm still pretty excited for the changes in 9th edition, and one of the big hopes I have is for new ways to play the Astra Militarium (Imperial Guard for us old-timers!)

Specifically: I would love to see more abhuman models and units available, and some more love for those that already exist. Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything really bad about Ogryn/Bullgryn right now, and the ratlings are in a decent place, but I would love to see some more options out there. Heck, I think it would be pretty dang cool if we got a whole chapter-tactic thing specifically for Ab-human guard. It's probably unlikely, but it's one of my big wants with the IG right now.

I think that if GW wanted to they could add some really fun new options for playing guard this way. I'm thinking some sort of dreadnought style armor thing for the Ogryn, maybe a ratling version of the grot-tanks, a few new HQ choices... really there are all kinds of cool ideas we could see!

So what do YOU think? Any chance that 9th might open up some more abhuman shenanigans for the guard? Will we see any new abhuman models? Any particular Ab-human units/rules/ect that you would really enjoy?


Ogryns will probably continue to be good. Ratlings need new sniper rifles to be good for anything other than speed bumps. New models though? Meh.

I think there's a chance we'll see new guard infantry squads, probably catachans. GW has made several special catachan units lately, so clearly someone at HQ likes making the models. They're due for a huge lineup redo, but then so are a lot of other factions.
   
Made in de
Rough Rider with Boomstick






While I also don't think there will be official support, the idea is pretty cool. Beastmen come to mind but surely some other stuff could be made. This awesome homebrew regiment maybe:
https://wh40khomebrew.fandom.com/wiki/Parakonian_Thunderhooves

But even without official support, should not be too hard to come up with some fun rules for a local gaming group at least

~3300 build and painted 
   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter





leerm02 wrote:

Greetings everyone,
So I'm still pretty excited for the changes in 9th edition, and one of the big hopes I have is for new ways to play the Astra Militarium (Imperial Guard for us old-timers!)

Specifically: I would love to see more abhuman models and units available, and some more love for those that already exist. Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything really bad about Ogryn/Bullgryn right now, and the ratlings are in a decent place, but I would love to see some more options out there. Heck, I think it would be pretty dang cool if we got a whole chapter-tactic thing specifically for Ab-human guard. It's probably unlikely, but it's one of my big wants with the IG right now.

I think that if GW wanted to they could add some really fun new options for playing guard this way. I'm thinking some sort of dreadnought style armor thing for the Ogryn, maybe a ratling version of the grot-tanks, a few new HQ choices... really there are all kinds of cool ideas we could see!

So what do YOU think? Any chance that 9th might open up some more abhuman shenanigans for the guard? Will we see any new abhuman models? Any particular Ab-human units/rules/ect that you would really enjoy?


Well, I'm going to be straight, hobbits and ogres are not the reason I'm playing Guard, and if I can get around their use, I'd generally try to do so.

I'd rather see the return of the heavy guns first: the Medusa Siege Gun, Griffon Mortar [somewhat obsolete because of the Wyvern], and Colossus.
I'd also like to see re-done line infantry first too.
More abhumans is basically last on the list of "things I want for Guard", and I'd be honestly kind of sad if we got more abhumans before artillery or new infantry because then that would be taking up the limited time spared from Primaris Marines for the first meaningful IG update since the beginning of 6th and probably the only one for the next two editions for more non-human elite models.

Anyway, I don't think we'll see either. I think GW probably sees the IG line as fairly complete... because it is. Basically everything is in plastic, and anything that isn't except ratlings has been struck from the roster [see: the aforemention lost artillery]. We've got units for basically every battlefield role, and can make basically any list. And, to top it off, we're Imperial, which means that the Space Marine Release Train will eat into our potential time and space for releases than it will for Chaos or Xenos because the Space Marines need NPC's to fight and they need to release a nonzero number of Chaos/Xenos models but there's basically no reason they'd need to release IG units,

Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades! 
   
Made in gb
Frightening Flamer of Tzeentch




 Inquisitor Lord Katherine wrote:
I'd rather see the return of the heavy guns first: the Medusa Siege Gun, Griffon Mortar [somewhat obsolete because of the Wyvern], and Colossus.


I haven't looked at much regarding 9th, but are you saying this because they're in the FW lists? currently in a poor state of usability? or acutally gone, dead and buried?
   
Made in gb
Servoarm Flailing Magos




United Kingdom

Fictional wrote:
 Inquisitor Lord Katherine wrote:
I'd rather see the return of the heavy guns first: the Medusa Siege Gun, Griffon Mortar [somewhat obsolete because of the Wyvern], and Colossus.


I haven't looked at much regarding 9th, but are you saying this because they're in the FW lists? currently in a poor state of usability? or acutally gone, dead and buried?


The Medusa & Colossus were old Epic models, and the only 40K models they had were FW. The Colossus has gone, and there's only some odd variants of the Medusa available. The Griffon was GW but was discontinued (it was a metal upgrade for the Chimera) .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/08/17 11:06:10


 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





Personally, I'd like to see more species variety for the Tau rather than the Guard. I'm thinking Gue'Vesa, Demiurg, Nicassar etc. In a galaxy that has thousands upon thousands of sapient species, the Tau Empire is pretty much the only playable faction that is explicitedly and intentionally multiracial. It's a bit of a missed opportunity to sideline this unique aspect of theirs in favor of MOAR BATTLE SUITS, altough that's probably what most Tau players prefer.
   
Made in gb
Servoarm Flailing Magos




United Kingdom

 Esmer wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see more species variety for the Tau rather than the Guard. I'm thinking Gue'Vesa, Demiurg, Nicassar etc. In a galaxy that has thousands upon thousands of sapient species, the Tau Empire is pretty much the only playable faction that is explicitedly and intentionally multiracial. It's a bit of a missed opportunity to sideline this unique aspect of theirs in favor of MOAR BATTLE SUITS, altough that's probably what most Tau players prefer.


A minor-Xenos / Abhuman / Mercenary book usable by Tau, Orks, Guard/Inq & Chaos would be great...
   
Made in us
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant




I wouldn't mind seeing some rules love for Ogryn and Ratlings. Bullgryn are fine (unless 9th kicked them hard), but the other two were kind of mediocre. If all Ogryn could get on the extra wound bandwagon, and the Ogryn Bodyguard get a better bodyguard rule (unless 9th changed it, they take a mortal wound, which completely negates their superior defensive profile to the officers they are body guarding for. If they got to use their toughness and saves for the wound...), they might be in a bit of a better place.

I'd also like to see some sort of Auxilia boons, like a few options for stripped down versions of a doctrine the player can apply to them. Just to give slightly more variety, so the player could pick their Regiment as normal, and then also pick their Auxilia ability.

In terms of new models, I don't see it as likely, considering a new Ogryn kit just came out for Necromunda. I'd say its more likely we'll see Catachan Infantry than more abhumans. I wouldn't mind it mind you, as you can probably tell I love Ogryn and have been slowly acquiring a small pile of them new and old and smashing them together with fantasy Ogres for variety.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I had a Bombard before it was cool renamed the Colossus. And two Griffons.

It'd be a shame to see them vanish from the game completely.

   
Made in ca
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





London, Ontario

I’d like to see a Rough Rider replacement. Ab-human, dudes on bikes, jump packs... something quick to carry a handful of special weapons around at speed.

Otherwise, what I want for abhumans is two things. 1st is a proper Power Fist or Thunder Hammer type weapon for the Bone’ead. I’ve wanted that since 2nd edition and I don’t think it’s going to happen.

2nd thing I want is a 0-2 option for a “Big Gun” on the Ogryn. Something that can march along with the tanks and infantry, providing something useful shooting wise, until they slam into something. A couple of Auto-Cannon type guns would be great.

Until that happens, I just don’t *want* to play Ogryns. I like the models, think about buying some “just ‘cause” every now and again, but without at least one or the other, it’s a no-go.

I’d rather counts-as human snipers rather than use ratlings, they just don’t do it for me at all.
   
Made in us
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





England

Ratlings? Beatsmen? All so 1989! The current hotness is the Cadian Shortnecks....


See that stuff above? Completely true. All of it, every single word. Stands to reason. 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: