Switch Theme:

Wargames Factory makes terrain for Games Workshop?!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Nimble Skeleton Charioteer





So maybe this is common knowledge, but I can't find any threads talking about it.

I knew Wargames Factory was working with Warlord, but I didn't know they did work for GW as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/12/20 01:43:30


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

(shrugs) We've known a lot of the terrain is made in China.
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

GW have had other companies make their terrain for them in years past, too.

Some of their old hardfoam stuff from the late 90s was done by Ziterdes (because no-one in the UK was doing it then, and Ziterdes was THE company for that stuff back then).

I'm OVER 50 (and so far over everyone's BS, too).
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

I believe Wargames Factory wound up owning/running/having exclusive access (from the west) to a major Chinese factory system. As a result they basically wound up doing work for other firms who want access to that plastic casting facility. GW has long had the terrain and a few select kits/items made overseas in China.


Otherwise GW's models are all produced in house in Nottingham and they even built a new factory there recently to deal with demand (which has promptly failed because of corona messing up things - though should come into its own when staff no longer have to use covid safe practice).

   
Made in es
Nimble Ellyrian Reaver





 Overread wrote:

Otherwise GW's models are all produced in house in Nottingham and they even built a new factory there recently to deal with demand (which has promptly failed because of corona messing up things - though should come into its own when staff no longer have to use covid safe practice).


A lot of their models are made in China. Underworlds, Blackstone Fortress, etc... They like to pride themselves in "only UK" but the boxes don't say so. Granted the "manufactured in china" is written in small and the "designed in UK" appears bigger with a flag, but that's just the marketing stuff many other corporations do.

Will it change with the new facory? Who knows.
   
Made in gb
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






 Overread wrote:
I believe Wargames Factory wound up owning/running/having exclusive access (from the west) to a major Chinese factory system. As a result they basically wound up doing work for other firms who want access to that plastic casting facility. GW has long had the terrain and a few select kits/items made overseas in China.


Otherwise GW's models are all produced in house in Nottingham and they even built a new factory there recently to deal with demand (which has promptly failed because of corona messing up things - though should come into its own when staff no longer have to use covid safe practice).


I wouldn’t say it failed. Sure the supply chain is still wonky, but we’re looking at a different reason. Imagine the trouble GW would be having with supply without the second factory during social distancing.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

Tiny Red Chair Painting Sessions. A Discord dedicated to video painting sessions. PM me for an invite. 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

VBS wrote:
 Overread wrote:

Otherwise GW's models are all produced in house in Nottingham and they even built a new factory there recently to deal with demand (which has promptly failed because of corona messing up things - though should come into its own when staff no longer have to use covid safe practice).


A lot of their models are made in China. Underworlds, Blackstone Fortress, etc... They like to pride themselves in "only UK" but the boxes don't say so. Granted the "manufactured in china" is written in small and the "designed in UK" appears bigger with a flag, but that's just the marketing stuff many other corporations do.

Will it change with the new facory? Who knows.

Nope. The models aren't made in China for those, they have to flag it as such because the cards and boards are made in China.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
 Overread wrote:
I believe Wargames Factory wound up owning/running/having exclusive access (from the west) to a major Chinese factory system. As a result they basically wound up doing work for other firms who want access to that plastic casting facility. GW has long had the terrain and a few select kits/items made overseas in China.


Otherwise GW's models are all produced in house in Nottingham and they even built a new factory there recently to deal with demand (which has promptly failed because of corona messing up things - though should come into its own when staff no longer have to use covid safe practice).


I wouldn’t say it failed. Sure the supply chain is still wonky, but we’re looking at a different reason. Imagine the trouble GW would be having with supply without the second factory during social distancing.


Oh true!

I meant only in that its not managed to resolve the issue this year, but that its more a result of corona than anything else. GW was still having shortfalls before, just nowhere near as big. Hopefully once vaccines get underway (and provided this new southern strain doesn't cause other issues) and GW can drop the covid social distancing at work and one way systems and such; then we'll see their production take off and restore itself. Though I'd wager overseas might still lag some until international trade settles down.

   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 Overread wrote:
I believe Wargames Factory wound up owning/running/having exclusive access (from the west) to a major Chinese factory system. As a result they basically wound up doing work for other firms who want access to that plastic casting facility. GW has long had the terrain and a few select kits/items made overseas in China.


I think it's it's more accurate to describe it the other way round... a major Chinese factory system wound up owning Wargames Factory and got easy access to the western wargaming market

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/12/20 20:01:56


Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps





Earlobe deep in doo doo

I remember that and yes lord Blackfang has it right.....

"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71
 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: