Well, it's been eight years since I last posted on Dakka... but I'm back baby.
I've loved Night Lords for several years now, mainly due to the fantastic writing of Aaron Dembski-Bowden, who has this wonderful ability to write CSM
novels without going overboard on the 'bad guys' thing. Now, you may well question my moral sanity if I 'love' the Traitor Legion known for terror tactics, torture and sadism, but ho-hum... give me some support here Night Lords fans! I know you're here somewhere, lurking in the shadows.
So I've decided to create a themed Night Lords force, picking up from the very end of the Night Lords
trilogy. In short for those who are unfamiliar, the main protagonist Talos is slain by Eldar, but his prophetically-blessed gene-seed is recovered for implantation into the son of of a Navigator, with the aim of creating an Astartes who can, as a result of his Navigator/Astartes cross-breeding and special gene-seed, reliably predict the future and possibly even unite the splintered Eighth Legion into a potent whole. This Night Lords 'Messiah' is named Decimus, and appears right at the end of the trilogy leading a conclave of Night Lords warbands.
A summary of this project's aims:
- Only add 'classic' Astartes models that are mentioned within the trilogy as being part of Night Lords warbands.
- Avoid the corny 'bat wings everywhere' Night Lords appearance.
- Conversions where appropriate, including using Primaris models for true-scale.
- Add back story for each unit, and add them to the force in a logical order. (For example, a Predator joining the Prophet first would be highly unlikely)
- Keep to classic Night Lords colour scheme, but a bit more grounded/ earthier/ realistic.
And here's the Prophet himself as a starting point. In game terms, he'll simply be a Chaos Sorceror taking Prescience and Warptime to represent his prophetic abilities.
Decimus Talosian wields Aurum, a stolen Blood Angels relic passed down to him from his gene-father, Talos. Though only 20 years old by the time Abaddon shattered Cadia, his combination of accurate future-scrying (similiar to his legion's Primarch), steely charisma and absolute dedication to pursuit of the Long War sets him apart from his Legion-brothers. He will stop at nothing to achieve his primary aim - uniting his wayward Night Lords brothers under a single banner again, and carving a bloody path to Terra itself. He has seen this outcome in some of the twisting threads fate... but not all.