Switch Theme:

Is this now the only future for GW/40k?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Journeyman Inquisitor with Visions of the Warp




So with all the hype surrounding Cursed City having been pulled, and their recent attempts to "produce" extremely small order projects that inevitably sell out, create more FOMO, and then invariably make the hobby more press, I found myself wondering:

How much of this is COVID, and how much of this is GW's new Day 1 DLC EA/Activision style of business becoming the new Norm? The Catachan Colonel, the Indomitus Boxes, The announcement of books for pre-order only to completely miss the date set 3 months early, the elimination of Digital copies, the Day 1 update book to Drukhari, and the other non-customer friendly practices that have occurred.

In my mind this can't be all COVID. Amazon and other companies have had next to ZERO problems shipping their goods, creating new products, and marketing them, throughout the entire pandemic. Hell, we've had 2 of the best selling iPhones in their history during the pandemic. Either GW is a multi-billion dollar company that can leverage markets and be a big time player, or it's a struggling small time model trainset manufacturer out of the UK that can't ship more then 10k boxes to the US. I can't see how it could be both?

Where do we see GW's practices going in the next few years?

I think Covid has done a remarkable job in forcing back the curtain on what they are capable of as a producer of cheap toys. We can't vilify them for not creating enough toys, when they were always punching way above their weight anyway.
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





I very much doubt GW's future plans are to only sell based on FOMO and the vast majority of their releases haven't been anything like that even in this past year.
Limited-edition products aren't a new thing and the fact that most are locked into an event (store birthday/LVO/Adepticon) means that most people won't get them, this is bad and I don't like it. However, I did think it was good that they did quite a few runs of MTO limited-edition models so people could grab something they otherwise wouldn't have a chance to own. The Indomitus release, at least IMO, was a hilarious troll on GW's part against scalpers, and watching those eBay prices plummet the day Indomitus was announced as MTO was glorious to behold. As for the "day one DLC", it's entirely optional as it's not a core rule book or army codex. It has extra rules for players with armies within that book but again, entirely optional to play with them.

For the very recent problems, I would say there are absolutely some shipping and/production issues behind the scenes that would harm their stock value if they came out and said it. They are a company that needs to make money and investors are hardly going to buy in of you outright say "our production is borked and our shipping is borked so nobody can buy our product".

As for the comparison between Apple/Amazon and GW, that's like comparing an orange to a hand grenade. Everyone needs phones and being stuck at home without a phone would limit people's ability to communicate with each other, so phone sales being high shouldn't be a shock. Most of Amazon's sales are for other companies' products, not their own, and they absolutely had problems with shipping in the last year. GW comes nowhere near close to Apple and Amazon in terms of literally any aspect of business. Amazon's profits for last year were 125.56 BILLION dollars. GW was 269.7 MILLION pounds. You don't need a degree in economics to work out who is going to have more power in the business world. Amazon covers nearly every single market available with their products compared to GW making models and some wargames. GW even uses Amazon's Kindle products to sell their Black Library books for God's sake. GW has also had Brexit to contend with which has been nothing but trouble for nearly every aspect of life in the UK.

I'm not defending all of GW's business practices but I will say this, if I had the choice to work for Amazon or GW, I'd pick GW in a heartbeat.
   
Made in us
Ork Boy Hangin' off a Trukk





Take a look at GW's financial statements. I would say that overall COVID has been a boon to GW leading to increased demand for GW's products. While there may have been COVID-related delays of projects and production issues, make no mistake, the GW bean counters are laughing all the way to the bank. Things like day 1 updates, elimination of digital copies, and "other non-customer friendly practices" are just part of GW's business model these days.


Apocalypse/Kill Team/40K: Orks, Imperial Guard, Eldar, Space Wolves, Necrons
AOS: Ogor Mawtribes, Sons of Behemat (using Mantic/3rd party giants)
Blood Bowl: Skaven, Humans, Orcs, Goblins, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarves, Chaos Dwarves, Undead, Necromantic, Snotlings, Vampires, Lizardmen 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut






The most valuable thing that GW has is it's IP, particularly 40k.

All it would take is something to break out into the mainstream to change the whole equation. As a point of comparison, I'd point to Game of Thrones, which became enormously popular on the heels on the of the TV show and has spawned all sorts of mass-market product and awareness of the IP.

Maybe 40K IP is too niche/dark/etc .... but I think it's one landmark TV series away from breakthrough.

As a mini-example of this, we can look at instances where GW-licensed video games became hits that drew tons of people into the hobby - or at the very least made people aware of the IP. Dawn of War for 40k and Total War: Warhamer for WHFB - the latter of which is probably the reason why GW sees value in bringing back the old world.

The question is what happens with the traditional GW stuff (games, miniatures, etc.). WE tend to view GW as focused around "games" with the miniatures and books and lore all supporting the playing of games. But this isn't usually how other big mass-market IP's work. Star Wars started as a movie, and the toys and the games came after.

I could see a scenario where the games themselves increasingly take a back seat to selling "toys" and "merch" associated with the various IPs. We tend to forget that much of the "hobby" is in collecting and painting miniatures, and I'd be willing to bet there is more audience potential for simply collecting and painting figures than there is for playing the games themselves.

If GW lands on a pathway for selling the IP and miniatures to the masses without having to saddle up on an underlying game, I think they very well could do that. To be fair, I don't really think GW's heart is into making a best-in-class game wargame - and their rule/game development seems more oriented around selling expensive books and models than it does creating deep gameplay.

Selfishly, I hope the rule-writing aspect of GW's business implodes and liberates people to develop lots of different rulesets and ways to play. Out of that something better might emerge for those interested in the gameplay value of the IP.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 13:34:47


Want a better 40K?
Check out ProHammer: Classic - An Awesomely Unified Ruleset for 3rd - 7th Edition 40K... for retro 40k feels!
 
   
Made in fi
Ye Lord of The End Times (and a good guy)





FezzikDaBullgryn wrote:
So with all the hype surrounding Cursed City having been pulled, and their recent attempts to "produce" extremely small order projects that inevitably sell out, create more FOMO, and then invariably make the hobby more press, I found myself wondering:

How much of this is COVID, and how much of this is GW's new Day 1 DLC EA/Activision style of business becoming the new Norm? The Catachan Colonel, the Indomitus Boxes, The announcement of books for pre-order only to completely miss the date set 3 months early, the elimination of Digital copies, the Day 1 update book to Drukhari, and the other non-customer friendly practices that have occurred.

In my mind this can't be all COVID. Amazon and other companies have had next to ZERO problems shipping their goods, creating new products, and marketing them, throughout the entire pandemic. Hell, we've had 2 of the best selling iPhones in their history during the pandemic. Either GW is a multi-billion dollar company that can leverage markets and be a big time player, or it's a struggling small time model trainset manufacturer out of the UK that can't ship more then 10k boxes to the US. I can't see how it could be both?

Where do we see GW's practices going in the next few years?

I think Covid has done a remarkable job in forcing back the curtain on what they are capable of as a producer of cheap toys. We can't vilify them for not creating enough toys, when they were always punching way above their weight anyway.


None of this is new or unusual. Been gw's tactic for decades

2021 painted/bought: 497/417 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Abel





Washington State

GW has been doing this for decades. This is nothing new. GW has two core games: Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40,000. Those will always be supported. All the other games? They will come and go. How long they stick around these days seems to entirely depend on sales and maybe player interest.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 15:48:55


Kara Sloan shoots through Time and Design Space for a Negative Play Experience  
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





FezzikDaBullgryn wrote:
Amazon and other companies have had next to ZERO problems shipping their goods, creating new products, and marketing them, throughout the entire pandemic. Hell, we've had 2 of the best selling iPhones in their history during the pandemic. Either GW is a multi-billion dollar company that can leverage markets and be a big time player, or it's a struggling small time model trainset manufacturer out of the UK that can't ship more then 10k boxes to the US. I can't see how it could be both?


Or you could just say you don't understand logistics.

https://lifehacker.com/why-graphics-cards-are-even-more-expensive-in-2021-1846036657

Even Amazon struggled at one point and they're a massively huge company:

'Typical operations have changed because of the coronavirus, and Amazon has to "prioritize stocking and delivering items that are a higher priority for our customers,” which has “resulted in some of our delivery promises being longer than usual,”'

The news has been replete with issues revolving around a pandemic. Just because you choose to conveniently ignore all of them doesn't mean GW was the only one affected. And just because companies with more money than GW can brute force their shipping issues doesn't mean GW can:
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/02/08/apple-measures-to-minimize-shipping-delays/

Additionally, you should read up a little more on this and put it in consideration with their present two week pre-order shutdown:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/15/games_workshop_erp_saga/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 15:54:19


   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




The current problems GW has seem to be neither Covid nor strategy related. They just totally bungled a changeover on their inventory management system and as a result can't ship stuff because they don't know what they have and don't have and can't get to it. They aren't telling people that because it's embarrassing and more convenient to just let people think it's because of Covid. That's why their store keeps showing stuff as discontinued even though it isn't, it's why they can't ship orders to retailers in a timely fashion, it's why they sell out on new product immediately, it's why they're having to delay new releases at the last minute, etc. If these were actual production problems they wouldn't be delaying stuff like the ad mech codex a week before it was supposed to go up for pre-order; that's a last minute thing, it means the production is done but the problem is with distribution.

GW is a multi-billion dollar company that frequently still behaves like 5 guys in granny's basement. When you realize that, a lot of what they do starts to become more explicable. It's a not unusual pattern for speciality companies that suddenly become successful, especially when that success is predicated on a unique product, rather than on running operations efficiently. Because of the strength of their unique product, they're able to get away with inefficient and uncompetitive business practices, and so can grow rapidly without developing the sort of organizational competence that other companies are forced to develop at a much smaller size.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/04/21 18:08:04


 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





yukishiro1 wrote:
The current problems GW has seem to be neither Covid nor strategy related. They just totally bungled a changeover on their inventory management system and as a result can't ship stuff because they don't know what they have and don't have and can't get to it. They aren't telling people that because it's embarrassing and more convenient to just let people think it's because of Covid.


I've never seen an ERP integration go smoothly.

They can and do currently ship things. They're just not doing pre-orders. Speculating deeper is sort of silly.

   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





I find it quite funny that people keep using "multi-billion dollar company" to describe GW because technically it's right but at the same time not really. I feel like it overvalues them. I mean I'm no economics expert but if I get a multi-pack of crisps at Tesco, I'm expecting like 6-10 packets of crisps, not 2. Like yeah, £2bn is a hell of a lot of money for us plebs but in the world of business, it doesn't seem to be. If you asked me to list multi-billion dollar/pound companies I would say stuff like BP, Centrica (they supply most of the UK's gas and electricity), or BT (they do phone stuff).
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Are you unaware of how much difficulty retailers have had placing and receiving orders? By can't ship stuff I didn't mean they literally can't ship a single thing, I meant that they take weeks or months to do what used to take days, and then when they do process an order, it's often got like 1/3 of the stuff in it that the retailer requested, usually with no explanation as to why more of it couldn't be fulfilled.

There are massive problems right now with GW's distribution processes. I'm sure some portion probably does have to do with Covid, but a lot of it seems more likely to be the bungled ERP, as evidenced by their recent statement to retailers.

   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Thought someone also said additional Brexit Baggage kicked in early in April. What we saw for most of the first quarter was the combination of Covid + Brexit- it was never one or the other, always both.

They were able to hit their stride 4-5 weeks in a row, and then they had to slam on the brakes.
   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






 Gert wrote:
I find it quite funny that people keep using "multi-billion dollar company" to describe GW because technically it's right but at the same time not really. I feel like it overvalues them. I mean I'm no economics expert but if I get a multi-pack of crisps at Tesco, I'm expecting like 6-10 packets of crisps, not 2. Like yeah, £2bn is a hell of a lot of money for us plebs but in the world of business, it doesn't seem to be. If you asked me to list multi-billion dollar/pound companies I would say stuff like BP, Centrica (they supply most of the UK's gas and electricity), or BT (they do phone stuff).
What if I told you....

"How much is Games Workshop worth?
With a market capitalisation of around £2.7bn ($3.4bn), it has overtaken Centrica, owner of British Gas, and Marks & Spencer."

Source
https://www.economist.com/britain/2020/07/02/why-games-workshop-is-worth-more-than-marks-and-spencer-and-centrica

The reality is GW is a terribly run company with terrible leadership. They have Amazing artists though as well and complete domination of the market (with the most loyal customers on the planet). There is no mistake they can make....short of stopping to produce their model line that would stop the companies growth. What is sad is it could be growing a lot faster.

I visited the citadel in just outside of Wako Texas...I was expecting something impressive before I went in there. Nope. It was just a standard GW type store in a Minimall that sold forgeworld products and was out of half of them (because they don't make them there...they just ship them from England)...Imagine...if they had an sense of business - they would have factories pumping out forge world all over the place - literally selling it out of their store front all over the world? US, Australlia, All over Europe, Even Japan. They have no interest in such things though. They are more than happy to maintain their current growth because they have no real competition. So we the customer - we are the ones that suffer...having to wait to buy scraps of what is available. They don't care...they just over here becoming bigger billionaires than oil companies.

If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in gb
Deadly Dire Avenger





I'm sure GW would absolutely love to sell us more stuff, but it is readily apparent their supply chain is under huge pressure. They had to slow down (halve?) the rate of new codex releases and now pause it entirely for a few weeks. I put in a large Necron order through a third party retailer last November and it took 4 months to turn up because GW was out of stock of tomb spyders (along with most of the necron range) and it took them that long to get everything back in stock and out to retailers.

It could be COVID, increased demand during lockdown, a worldwide shipping container shortage, bungled logistics as they open new factory and warehousing or the challenge of dealing with new taxation and tariff structures after BREXIT that they had no advance warning of. Most likely all of the above.

I definitely don't lend much credence to ideas that reducing their release of new products and making insufficient amounts of them to fill the demand available is some sort of evil conspiracy to make more money.

As to stopping selling digital copies that is no secret. They intended the app to take their place, unfortunately the app sucked.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Ambitious Archon





Port Carmine

 Gert wrote:
I find it quite funny that people keep using "multi-billion dollar company" to describe GW because technically it's right but at the same time not really. I feel like it overvalues them. I mean I'm no economics expert but if I get a multi-pack of crisps at Tesco, I'm expecting like 6-10 packets of crisps, not 2. Like yeah, £2bn is a hell of a lot of money for us plebs but in the world of business, it doesn't seem to be. If you asked me to list multi-billion dollar/pound companies I would say stuff like BP, Centrica (they supply most of the UK's gas and electricity), or BT (they do phone stuff).


Good point. It would be like someone with £2 million in assets descrbing themselves as a "multimillionaire".....yeah, but no.

Kabal of the Mon-keigh's Paw
Coven of the Screaming Statues
Cult of Veiled Malice

"Death is only a concern if you're both weak enough to be killed and dumb enough not to arrange your own resurrection." PM713
 
   
Made in us
Sinister Chaos Marine





I don't think its a conspiracy. They raised prices because they could, they didn't need COVID to do that before. And while some companies/industries are more affected than others, there is really no question the pandemic has been a huge disruption to the global economy.

Bought any wood lately? It is TRIPLE the usual price. My cats favorite treat was absolutely unavailable for months.

Lastly, you might be surprised how incompetent billion dollar companies and those who make decisions for them can be.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-22/elon-musk-loses-15-billion-in-a-day-after-bitcoin-warning
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





yukishiro1 wrote:
Are you unaware of how much difficulty retailers have had placing and receiving orders? By can't ship stuff I didn't mean they literally can't ship a single thing, I meant that they take weeks or months to do what used to take days, and then when they do process an order, it's often got like 1/3 of the stuff in it that the retailer requested, usually with no explanation as to why more of it couldn't be fulfilled.

There are massive problems right now with GW's distribution processes. I'm sure some portion probably does have to do with Covid, but a lot of it seems more likely to be the bungled ERP, as evidenced by their recent statement to retailers.



Fair points.

We implemented software last year - it went horribly. One the worst parts about it was not being able to quickly and directly collaborate on issues. COVID is more than just shipping.

   
Made in us
Omnipotent Necron Overlord






yukishiro1 wrote:
Are you unaware of how much difficulty retailers have had placing and receiving orders? By can't ship stuff I didn't mean they literally can't ship a single thing, I meant that they take weeks or months to do what used to take days, and then when they do process an order, it's often got like 1/3 of the stuff in it that the retailer requested, usually with no explanation as to why more of it couldn't be fulfilled.

There are massive problems right now with GW's distribution processes. I'm sure some portion probably does have to do with Covid, but a lot of it seems more likely to be the bungled ERP, as evidenced by their recent statement to retailers.


This is a problem that happens when you make all your products mostly in 1 place. A company this large that does not expand it's ability to produce - will have these problems inevitably anyways. Regardless of pandemics.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 harlokin wrote:
 Gert wrote:
I find it quite funny that people keep using "multi-billion dollar company" to describe GW because technically it's right but at the same time not really. I feel like it overvalues them. I mean I'm no economics expert but if I get a multi-pack of crisps at Tesco, I'm expecting like 6-10 packets of crisps, not 2. Like yeah, £2bn is a hell of a lot of money for us plebs but in the world of business, it doesn't seem to be. If you asked me to list multi-billion dollar/pound companies I would say stuff like BP, Centrica (they supply most of the UK's gas and electricity), or BT (they do phone stuff).


Good point. It would be like someone with £2 million in assets descrbing themselves as a "multimillionaire".....yeah, but no.

The term billionaire is used to discribe anyone or any organization that is worth 1 billion USD.

It is not like a millionaire which really means you have lots of millions. Probably because there are a lot more people/organizations that have millions rather than billions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 18:46:47


If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
- Fox Mulder 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Gert wrote:
I find it quite funny that people keep using "multi-billion dollar company" to describe GW because technically it's right but at the same time not really. I feel like it overvalues them. I mean I'm no economics expert but if I get a multi-pack of crisps at Tesco, I'm expecting like 6-10 packets of crisps, not 2. Like yeah, £2bn is a hell of a lot of money for us plebs but in the world of business, it doesn't seem to be. If you asked me to list multi-billion dollar/pound companies I would say stuff like BP, Centrica (they supply most of the UK's gas and electricity), or BT (they do phone stuff).


GW's market cap was around 4.5 billion dollars last I checked. If a company worth 4.5 billion dollars isn't "a multi-billion dollar company" what is?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 18:57:17


 
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Again technically it's more than 1bn so in that sense it's multi-billion but considering companies like Unilever (£113bn) or BP (£55bn), the £2bn market cap is peanuts.

M&S might be worth less than GW on the stock market but it employs about 85k people compared to GW's 2k. Centrica is similar.

GW has seen a lot of growth, yes, but they don't have anywhere near the same market power M&S or Centrica has. GW sits in a very niche market that probably won't be able to sustain the growth it's seen over the last decade and could that growth could disappear as quickly as it appeared. People will always need gas/electricity/supermarkets.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




It's 3.4 billion pounds, not 2 billion.

4.5 billion dollars is a multi-billion dollar company. There's nothing remotely misleading about that description. If they were worth like 1.1 billion or something that'd be a valid criticism, at 4.5 (actually 4.8 now according to the interwebs) it's silly.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





If we're going to talk about market cap then what does it mean?

When the Gamestop diamondhands incident happened did it suddenly become a more valuable company since its market cap was 20B+? Or is that jus a representation of what "investors" valued the company at and not what the company was capable of producing?

Why is it relevant?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/04/21 20:29:53


   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




On a literal level, yes, it did. But obviously that was a false valuation.

If GW suddenly triples its market cap tomorrow because Elon Musk tweeted about it, that'd probably be a reason to be cautious about treating it like a company worth tens of billions.

That isn't the case here. GW's value has trended upwards steadily over a period of ~5 years now. There's nothing misleading about calling them a multi-billion dollar company, it's just a statement of fact. And it's just a byword for the fact that this isn't the GW of the 80s or 90s when it was still a small independent gaming company run by a small handful of people.

GW is a multi-billion dollar global company that has hundreds of millions of dollars in yearly revenues. It should be evaluated as such and compared to other companies in that bracket, not to five guys in grandma's basement.

   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Right, but why is that particular metric useful? Does it mean GW has fewer issues and less to worry about? That they can just throw money at problems?

   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





I mean it all depends on what you consider success. If you look at it from market cap GW is more successful than M&S. But M&S has higher revenue (£10bn), more employees (85k), more stores in the UK (949(?)) and is a household name in the UK. GW seems to treat its employees fairly well and you could say that this could be a sign of a successful business. Amazon is a very successful company but has some of the worst PR and employee treatment in the world. They might have seen huge growth but can they sustain it? Will they level out well or will their revenue/market worth slowly drop? It's a fairly young company and sits in a niche market that has very little competition. GW isn't fighting M&S for customers because they sell entirely different products. A company like Centrica wouldn't view them as a threat because they could literally just end the electricity and gas for millions of people for kicks (obvs they wouldn't but its funny to think about).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 20:56:10


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Daedalus81 wrote:
Right, but why is that particular metric useful? Does it mean GW has fewer issues and less to worry about? That they can just throw money at problems?


Because it's a general indication of the resources the company has available to it, and therefore the expectations we should have for what it does. Is it a perfect indication? Of course not. Some companies with billions in market cap have more actual resources than others. But it's reasonable to expect a company worth billions to operate more professionally than five guys in grandma's basement.

If five guys in grandma's basement keep screwing up your orders, you kind-of understand because it's five guys in grandma's basement. When a multi-billion dollar company keeps screwing up your orders, you rightly are going to have higher expectations.

Lots of people in the hobby still treat GW like five guys in grandma's basement, but that's not what the company is any more, even if it still sometimes acts like it is.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 20:56:49


 
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





GW hasn't had this high market value since the '90s though, this is a recent development. Yes, they've been doing well for 5 years and we've seen that used with the introduction of the WarCom team, expanded design teams, and the revival of the specialist studio.
If GW had messed up every release since Covid/Brexit combo then I could understand the sentiment but it's only with Cursed City (which was a big cock up all over the place) and this wave of pre-orders that we're really seeing widescale problems. They've increased production at their factory but if the items made outside of the UK aren't getting in for one reason or another then there ain't much they can do about it.
Just so it's clear, GW is a company and they are not there to be my friend and I do not think everything they do is utter perfection. However, I do not want to crucify them and torch them because they made (admittedly quite stupid) mistakes. Nothing is black and white, everything is a horrible drab grey.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/04/21 21:16:13


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Five years is plenty of time to develop competence in keeping with your economic value.

But your point isn't actually even true on its own terms. Did you already forget the Indomitus fiasco? Game stores having their allocations retroactively cut both during 9th launch and then a few months later, in the latter case while the product was still up for sale on the web store? The literally months and months now that the Forgeworld store has continuously and repeatedly wrongly displayed the status of items as being discontinued when in fact they're only out of stock?

GW's had massive, recurring problems with distribution all throughout 9th edition, and they aren't by any means restricted to just the sort of shipping problems you see across most industries at the moment. I'm not trying to crucify them for it or anything, just to state the facts.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 21:23:38


 
   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





I'm gonna just leave this to other people at this point. My brain doesn't go that far back that I remember everything GW made a mistake on, I have the highlights. All I can say is things seem to have gone "fine" in the UK so maybe it's a USA thing. I do see the webstores displaying products at different availability pop up from time to time and there are rumours all over the place that the FW problems are because they are doing a big change-up with regards to the Horus Heresy.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





yukishiro1 wrote:
If five guys in grandma's basement keep screwing up your orders, you kind-of understand because it's five guys in grandma's basement. When a multi-billion dollar company keeps screwing up your orders, you rightly are going to have higher expectations.


Those five guys probably aren't running a warehouse, manufacturing plant, b&m stores, magazine, business intelligence, social media campaigns, ecommerce, point of sale, IP licensing, novels, benefits, etc.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't have expectations, but it isn't a simple problem, either.

   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: