Switch Theme:

Entire Ultramarine Chapter from the 1990s  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Servoarm Flailing Magos




United Kingdom

Spinning off from the Thunderhawk thread -

Entire Ultramarine Chapter from the 1990s:
Spoiler:


In the 1990s GW painted up the entire Ultramarine Chapter for a Games Day, IIRC. I think every retail store had to paint up a squad or two to contribute to it.

Does anyone remember which Games Day it was for (if I've got that right), or have any more pictures of it?

These were labelled as the Games Day display but looks more like a store, so it might have gone on tour:
Spoiler:


Also, can anyone spot any models that are still available? So far all I've seen are the Servitor Crew.
   
Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine





Baltimore, MD

I used to drool over those top two pictures back when I first started. I read that 3rd edition codex so much the binding disintegrated.

2500 pts Raven Guard, painted 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





 Porphyrius wrote:
I used to drool over those top two pictures back when I first started. I read that 3rd edition codex so much the binding disintegrated.


I really, really miss the dynamic of flipping through the old catalogs and imagining the possibilities.

   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Pretty sure it was Games Day 1995.

To be honest, the spectacle comes from the number of minis - you really don't want any closeups, because hey were banged out to a schedule by store staff - most of them will be basically painted to "Battle Ready", in today's terms.
   
Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine





Baltimore, MD

 Daedalus81 wrote:
 Porphyrius wrote:
I used to drool over those top two pictures back when I first started. I read that 3rd edition codex so much the binding disintegrated.


I really, really miss the dynamic of flipping through the old catalogs and imagining the possibilities.


For sure. I used to *love* flipping through the old bitz catalogs and putting together orders of individual bitz for conversions. I left the game for a long time, and that catalog being gone was probably the most surprising thing to me. It always struck me as a pretty intrinsic part of the hobby, I never expected GW to be so anti-conversions.

2500 pts Raven Guard, painted 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Yeah, I think the Servitor crewman with servo-arm is probably the only model still available - and, at the time they did this display, I don't think the Land Raider or Predator were available to buy.

The Predator saw a metal/plastic hybrid kit released during 2nd ed, before being replaced with a fully plastic kit in 3rd, off the top of my head, while the Land Raider wouldn't be available until in full plastic - also during 3rd, I think.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine





Baltimore, MD

Not sure when the old predators debuted, but the all-plastic one came either at the very end of 3rd or beginning of 4th. Current land raider is a good bit older than that, beginning of 3rd maybe? It was definitely out the entire time I was playing, which would have been around 2001 or so, I think. At that point the rhino chassis was still the old one for sure, I remember much fanfare when the new one launched.

2500 pts Raven Guard, painted 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






The Predators and Land Raiders are both the plastic Rogue Trader era models.
   
Made in gb
Servoarm Flailing Magos




United Kingdom

 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Predators and Land Raiders are both the plastic Rogue Trader era models.


Looking at SoL - the RT Predator is in the 1995/6 Annual and the metal turret one is in the 1997 Annual. No Land Raider in either.
   
Made in gb
Unhealthy Competition With Other Legions





Games Day 2013 had something similar and being the muppet I am, I didn't transfer the pictures off an old phone and onto a new one and lost them all.
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






Yeah I ogled those pics a ton as a kid. I've since satisfied myself by only collecting a couple companies worth of Marines.

I used to really want one of those metal thunderhawks too, but having seen some more pics of it up close I'm happy to pass. I figure I'll probably own a 3d printer at some point and will just make one to my own specs. I'm not a big fan of the FW ones either.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I remember when they did this. That second pic was literally the first time I had seen a Predator painted in Ultramarine colours. At that age I just couldn't conceive of an Ultramarine Predator, having only ever seen the Blood Angel one that GW had as part of the studio BA army.

It was fun to see that many Land Raiders at once. That kit had long since gone OOP (I cherish the one OG Land Raider I have! ), so seeing 10 at once was impressive. And all those Rhinos... wow.

I only now just realise that the Tactical/Assault/Devastator markings on the upper hulls aren't uniform. Ha!

The big ticket items though were those Thunderhawks. Everyone wanted one of those, although given the horror stories around that kit, it's probably good that we never did.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/21 22:32:44


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Grot Snipa





Atlanta, GA

For anyone interested, Squidmar is in the process of assembling and painting one of those metal Thunderhawks. From watching the assembly video, it is... a process. Lots and lots and lots of pinning.
   
Made in de
Nurgle Chosen Marine on a Palanquin




I kind of miss those banners on Dreadnoughts. Then again I never put the banner on my FW Nurgle Dreadnought because I don't think it would survive a single game
   
Made in au
Indescriminate Explicator





Newcastle NSW

The Sydney store did a Ultramarines chapter I think in 2006, customers got to put together the models and keep any spare bits

The Four Winds Tribe has returned to claim the Underhive for House Escher


Deathwatch Kill Team: W9 D0 L2
 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Happy to see these pics again; I got rid of my Dwarf collection in 2007 for a move.

I've been thinking about this pic in reference to conversations on other boards; with as many Sisters previews as we've had, some folks have expressed the opinion that new units are "unnecessary"

My thinking was that I'd like enough diversity in the range that I could justify building a full Preceptory, which would be a parallel structure to a chapter. This picture was in my head when I wrote about that.

Of course I'd build a single Commandery first- that's up to 200 sisters, so it's larger than an SM Company.

The number of Commanderies within a given Perceptory is also variable, so some Perceptories are likely to be larger than SM Chapters.

It would take years if not decades of collecting and painting to do it as an individual, not to mention you'd need an entire gaming room to store/ display it all.

But one can dream, right?

That's how inspiration works.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/22 20:34:06


 
   
Made in nl
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor






your mind

 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Predators and Land Raiders are both the plastic Rogue Trader era models.


Rt era raiders were forge world resin iirc... ugly heavy and not cheap.

   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 jeff white wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Predators and Land Raiders are both the plastic Rogue Trader era models.


Rt era raiders were forge world resin iirc... ugly heavy and not cheap.
Not at all! They were plastic. I have four

Edit: And they're beautiful!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/22 21:25:13


And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

One thing about collecting a whole chapter is all the transports.

I’ve probably got a third of the manpower of the Ultras. Not fully painted (yet), and more if I dig into the Pile of Shame for extra bodies. Might be closer to 2/5ths of the chapter if that got emptied out. One fully complete battle company, another one of primaris spinning up, and about half each of the 1st and 10th. But I barely have enough transports to embark the 60 tacs of my company.

Sooooo many metal boxes needed. And they basically double the cost of the endeavor. For things that are going to collect a lot of dust. Not that half the chapter isn’t purely for the display cabinet anyway, but marines actually have options.

   
Made in gb
Servoarm Flailing Magos




United Kingdom

 Insectum7 wrote:
 jeff white wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Predators and Land Raiders are both the plastic Rogue Trader era models.


Rt era raiders were forge world resin iirc... ugly heavy and not cheap.
Not at all! They were plastic. I have four

Edit: And they're beautiful!



Yep -

Spoiler:
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 jeff white wrote:
 Lord Damocles wrote:
The Predators and Land Raiders are both the plastic Rogue Trader era models.


Rt era raiders were forge world resin iirc... ugly heavy and not cheap.


FW wasn't even a thought during RT, let alone a resin producing company....
RT era rhinos & raiders were a light tannish plastic, sorta the color of Wraithbone paint.
Going into 2e the LR was discontinued with constant promises that a new model was coming (it arrived in 3e & was different than what had been shown for 2e) & we knew what it was supposed to look like thanks to the revised Epic version & the plastic used in the rhino switched to Grey (Same sculpt, just different color).

Many many years later Forge World did indeed make the LR sculpt we were supposed to get back in 2e.

Liscensed 2e resin models were made by Armorcast (and Epicast) - but didn't include landraiders.
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 Nevelon wrote:
One thing about collecting a whole chapter is all the transports.

I’ve probably got a third of the manpower of the Ultras. Not fully painted (yet), and more if I dig into the Pile of Shame for extra bodies. Might be closer to 2/5ths of the chapter if that got emptied out. One fully complete battle company, another one of primaris spinning up, and about half each of the 1st and 10th. But I barely have enough transports to embark the 60 tacs of my company.

Sooooo many metal boxes needed. And they basically double the cost of the endeavor. For things that are going to collect a lot of dust. Not that half the chapter isn’t purely for the display cabinet anyway, but marines actually have options.
The nice thing about Rhinos is you can use the chassis for other things. Swapping the top for a Razorback or Whirlwind is a snap, and with some careful magnetizing you can make them moddable to Predators. I've got 10 "Rhinos" and a box full of turrets.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

 Insectum7 wrote:
 Nevelon wrote:
One thing about collecting a whole chapter is all the transports.

I’ve probably got a third of the manpower of the Ultras. Not fully painted (yet), and more if I dig into the Pile of Shame for extra bodies. Might be closer to 2/5ths of the chapter if that got emptied out. One fully complete battle company, another one of primaris spinning up, and about half each of the 1st and 10th. But I barely have enough transports to embark the 60 tacs of my company.

Sooooo many metal boxes needed. And they basically double the cost of the endeavor. For things that are going to collect a lot of dust. Not that half the chapter isn’t purely for the display cabinet anyway, but marines actually have options.
The nice thing about Rhinos is you can use the chassis for other things. Swapping the top for a Razorback or Whirlwind is a snap, and with some careful magnetizing you can make them moddable to Predators. I've got 10 "Rhinos" and a box full of turrets.


While true (I do the same thing with my 6 boxes) there are 85 in the chapter pic above. Plus the 9 kitted with turrets. If you want to get a “true” chapter, they will break you. The motor pool in general. Every new kit they release the toss a few into the armory. And they have been doing so for a long time now.

   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 Nevelon wrote:
 Insectum7 wrote:
 Nevelon wrote:
One thing about collecting a whole chapter is all the transports.

I’ve probably got a third of the manpower of the Ultras. Not fully painted (yet), and more if I dig into the Pile of Shame for extra bodies. Might be closer to 2/5ths of the chapter if that got emptied out. One fully complete battle company, another one of primaris spinning up, and about half each of the 1st and 10th. But I barely have enough transports to embark the 60 tacs of my company.

Sooooo many metal boxes needed. And they basically double the cost of the endeavor. For things that are going to collect a lot of dust. Not that half the chapter isn’t purely for the display cabinet anyway, but marines actually have options.
The nice thing about Rhinos is you can use the chassis for other things. Swapping the top for a Razorback or Whirlwind is a snap, and with some careful magnetizing you can make them moddable to Predators. I've got 10 "Rhinos" and a box full of turrets.


While true (I do the same thing with my 6 boxes) there are 85 in the chapter pic above. Plus the 9 kitted with turrets. If you want to get a “true” chapter, they will break you. The motor pool in general. Every new kit they release the toss a few into the armory. And they have been doing so for a long time now.
I mean. . . there's really not a point to go full chapter other than a crazy display anyways. Even in lore it's rare that an entire chapter assembles in a particular theatre. Most of the time you're looking at a reinforced company on the high end of things.

My collection is probably four companies worth. 2 Battle, the 1st, the 10th and maybe some odds and ends from reserve companies. I'd like to have transports for everyone that needs it (counting that Terminators don't because they can teleport, and Scouts don't because they Infiltrate) So far I've got 10 (standard) Rhinos, 2 RT era Rhinos, 6 Drop Pods and 8 Land Raiders. I'd like to round my pods up to 10 and maybe find another 2 RT Rhinos. That'll be a total transport capacity of 320, more if I ran my 4 'modern' Land Raiders as Crusaders. That'll be more than enough. Actually it sounds like a stupidly large amount when I count it out like that.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

Heh. You know when you start telling yourself “it’s not that much farther to another company” that you are already past the point of madness.

Not that I haven’t had the conversation with myself. Multiple times. For different companies...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/22 22:37:41


   
Made in gb
Wrathful Warlord Titan Commander






London

Too young for this one, but didn't GW do this as a purchase option a few years back? Bit of a "We don't expect anyone to actually buy it, but put it for sale as a laugh", wasn't it something like £30k?

   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 Nevelon wrote:
Heh. You know when you start telling yourself “it’s not that much farther to another company” that you are already past the point of madness.

Not that I haven’t had the conversation with myself. Multiple times. For different companies...

^True story

Although to be fair the 2nd Battle Company basically fell into my lap. My friend had found a box of ancient odds and ends and asked if I wanted it. Inside this box was a full company of RTB01 beakies! As well as 40ish plastic Squats and 40ish RT-era plastic Guardsmen. Sooo, yeah. I've got a full company of beakies and a couple characters to go with it. My only addition to that was some RT bikes and Land Speeder. I already had two RT Rhinos and four of the Raiders.



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Valkyrie wrote:
Too young for this one, but didn't GW do this as a purchase option a few years back? Bit of a "We don't expect anyone to actually buy it, but put it for sale as a laugh", wasn't it something like £30k?
Yeah it was like '97/98 maybe.

Oh looks like they might have done this stunt again around 2013 https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127930-Buy-A-Warhammer-40k-Space-Marine-Chapter-For-11K Although it says it includes 39 squads. . . not sure how they figure that math.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/04/22 23:08:53


And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

They may have done it back in the late 90s, but more recently they had a bunch of those one-click, no savings things for the full chapter/companies. I want to say it was 6th or 7th. I recall there being flyers.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I wonder what this would look like now? I've been hecka confused by how the Primaris units and all the slew of new vehicles fits into the 'Entire Chapter' dynamic.
   
Made in gb
Servoarm Flailing Magos




United Kingdom

drbored wrote:
I wonder what this would look like now? I've been hecka confused by how the Primaris units and all the slew of new vehicles fits into the 'Entire Chapter' dynamic.


Depends on the Chapter and where in the timeline / storyline we're looking. Page 16 of the codex is helpful.

1st Company will include Bladeguard Veterans & Veteran Intercessors. Some of the Tactical Squads will be replaced by Battleline Primaris units like Intercessors / Heavy Intercessors or Infiltrators; Assault Squads with Close Support units such as Assault Intercessors, Inceptors or Reivers and Devastator Squads with Fire Support units like Aggressors, Eliminators or Hellblasters. Phobos Vanguard units can either either added to the Scout Company, or their own extra Company.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 AndrewGPaul wrote:
To be honest, the spectacle comes from the number of minis - you really don't want any closeups, because hey were banged out to a schedule by store staff - most of them will be basically painted to "Battle Ready", in today's terms.

It's mostly curiosity - are all the Scouts the Advanced Space Crusade plastic ones, for example.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/04/22 23:51:58


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: