Switch Theme:

Tell me your weirdest experience with a player  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Cultist of Nurgle with Open Sores




Canada

I think most of us would probably agree that a lot of the people who play Warhammer 40k are a little bit.. weird. I want to hear what some of your experiences have been (for entertainments sake) either at your local gaming story, a friend's house, or even at some tournaments. 40k is an emotional game, and I wouldn't be surprised if people do some weird things in response. For example, have you ever had someone rage quit in furious anger? Have you ever made someone cry? When the game gets stressful, what strange behaviour did your opponent conjure up? Or are you the weird one? Have you done something that looking back on it you seem unable to explain why you did it? I'll start by sharing my weird encounter.

I picked up a game with a stranger at my local gaming store. Generally I am a bit apprehensive to play with strangers simply because I don't know their interpretation of the rules, and I'm scared they are going to bring something super overpowered. I'm usually just looking for a friendly game with semi-competitive painted armies. Any-who, I was itching to play so badly that I agreed to play with the first person who accepted my request.

So we meet up and the guy seems normal-ish, maybe doesn't smile at all, but that's okay. He tells me he won a tournament but they didn't give him full points or something because they said he was using an 'internet' list. Apparently they thought his army was unsportsmanlike. Apparently he was upset about this. Already I was thinking I've made a mistake. We go on to play, and indeed he's got a chaos space marine internet list with obliterators and demon princes, blah, blah. But I just play and enjoy myself anyways, getting slaughtered. Then all of a sudden he makes this loud shrieking noise that didn't seem to be motivated by any events going on in the game. I was taken aback by it and said, 'what was that?' And he says, very seriously, 'a battle cry'. So I just ignored it and continued playing. Periodically he would make the noise, but I just ignored it from then on.

Then when things started getting hot in the game, he got more excited. So he started making the sound more, and I could tell he was getting 'elevated', pacing and hyperventilating. Although I'm not sure why, since he was utterly destroying me. He made some bad rolls then got upset and took the dice that rolled poorly and threw them in the garbage. I looked at him a bit flabbergasted and asked why he did that. He said the dice were no good. He likes to get rid of bad dice. Throughout the rest of the game he continued to throw away 'bad' dice and periodically making his 'battle cry'. He never laughed, never was friendly, and I just wanted the game to end so I could go home.

Reflecting back on the experience, I wonder if he had tourette's syndrome. Possibly, but it would have been nice to have had a disclaimer. In the moment, it was one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had.

Let's hear yours!
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



South Africa

Hahahaha. I used to play only with a group of friends back in the day. Plenty of "counts as" and even some paper cutouts of units that hadn't made it to South Africa yet but were in the latest WD. Those were some mad, fun times.

That being said I did venture out of my friends group once. ONCE. The guy would constantly narrate his armies moves. And then narrate mine too. I don't mean like "My heavy weapons squad shoots your Lictor" I mean full on "Now, in the heat of battle as the Lictor jumps from concealment the stanch defenders of Cadia open fire with their heavy weapons, the chugging bark of autocannons ripping the air."

It was fun and all to see them that involved but it made me question his sanity.

KBK 
   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter





I did the "paper template in the size of a Leman Russ" at one time too. I also made some Leman Russ tanks out of wood and nails. The wooden ones are actually pretty decent.
But that was when my army was 35 Guardsmen, 1 2nd-hand Leman Russ tank that among other things didn't have tracks, and a lot of green army men. And that soviet commissar from one of the Lego sets.

I'm not the only person who makes tank noises (or other onomatopoeia] when I play, though if I do say so myself, I make the best of them . My friends once made fun of me for absentmindedly pushing a Vanquisher [mine] and the Hammerhead [not-mine] around dining table and having them engage is a tank duel like I was a little kid playing with dolls. Which too be fair, I am an adult [am I really though. Aren't we all just kids inside ] playing with dolls.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/05/15 20:42:19


Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades! 
   
Made in gb
Nasty Nob





UK

Warhammer world years ago when kill team wasnt a game but they used to do events using a similar format.

guy was running chaos daemons, i'd made it to the top table with my orks.

He queried every rule, every inch, ignored rules that effected his stuff like (at the time) discs of tzeentch landing in cover needing a test. The games were short so no time to query anything. Fairly aggressive but trying not to appear like a d***. Was the definition of WAAC. Towards the end i was on the verge of telling him he was being a prick but i was a bit younger at the time, he was bigger than me and i just silently ranged inside. Had the nerve to ask how i was getting on in other games during the lunch break.

Same format different event, it was about the fime riptides came out and you could fit one into the format. So there were 20 riptides at the WHW event. What made it worse is after every round your units gained skills like FNP etc. Again with my orks his riptide was so powerful with ignore LoS weapons after the first couple of turns i said good luck mate, this isnt fun and walked packed me models away. Wasn't 100% his fault the format was broken and WHW changed it in later events but he didnt really see how ridic it was and play it more fun...

Another one was at a local touney a few years back towards the end of 7th, to be fair it was a tourney and i think he was an ETC team member. His army was literally about 100 fenresian wolves in a conga line with rune priests and DARK ANGELS psykers casting all sorts of madness. It was the most unfluffy army i have ever played against and he was cold calm and literally just appeared to be there to win, no banter, nothing.

+bonus people: casuals at local clubs over the years who simply do not know the rules well, this is where i'm on the other end appearing to be a d*** but literally playing the game correctly where they are suprised by pulling them up on things they are doing wrong / things i am doing which are now normal e.g. wrap'n'trap etc. I try to let these sorts of people know what i'm doing and 'forget' to fire the odd unit here and there if i see them getting frustrated but you can't just let them play the game wrong and it gets awkward






This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2020/05/15 19:29:24


 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




Cheating. But the way he cheated was so weird. He'd just blatantly start moving his units way from our teams during our turn and when I called him out saying "Dave stop moving, it's our turn." He got in a right huff about the audacity of me not letting him cheat.

He was a bit...odd to play in general. He'd hop on whatever army people told him was best and take the units he was told were best but had so little understanding of how to play he never succeeded. It got to a point where he was using scatbikes and I was handily beating them with striking scorpions.

Edit: I remember playing someone who used Tyranids in 7th. This was meant to be a teaching game so I pointed out he needed to roll reserves for his trygon and other reserves which ruined his entire game plan and I felt so bad. Lovely guy though, he ended up playing some Tau Genestealer Cultists.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/15 19:28:17


tremere47-fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate, leads to triple riptide spam  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



NE Ohio, USA

Ages ago (Early 4th) at the local shop of the time I played a guy who was all psyched & eager to pit his Eldar vs my 3 Baneblades (two old Armorcasts & 1 of the new FW ones).
He knew what 'Blades were. He had no problem with people fielding whatever. And HE requested the match up.

I get to the shop & find out he's already set up the terrain. This wasn't unusual as it was the groups custom of who ever got there first would set up the table & then others had the option to change things to a degree (as long as the original table theme was kept) But it looked pretty.... sparse. Wich was of much waaay more benefit to me than the Eldar (unless he had something up his sleeve I didn't know about {spoiler: he didn't}.) So for HIS benefit I added some more areas of cover & some actual LoS blockage - some boccage, & some buildings. It was still pretty wide open ag fields, but now, whatever the side there were areas he could potentially use to approach objectives/Blades if he chose.

So we rolled for mission, deployment areas & 1st turn.
He took 1st turn.

He proceeded to cheerfully swarm his entire army, save for a few lance platforms & a Fire Prism, straight forward into the waiting teeth of 3 Baneblades.
Zero attempt to use any type of cover or to hit either flank (where the volume of fire he'd take would've been much less due to fire arcs/limited LoS), or any other tactic.
He landed a few lance weapons hits wich did virtually nothing to my blades.

Play passes to me. About 75% of his army ceases to exist. When the dice stop rolling he has nothing anywhere my tanks or objectives & zero chance of winning shy of getting lucky shots when rolling on the Super Heavy Damage table & blowing me up.

Turn 2:
I take a few more lance shots, none of wich fell into the lucky category.
1) I move forward a bit to make sure I have all surviving Eldar in ranges/arcs. 2) I finish tabling him.
And he's perfectly fine with this.

He hasn't played a game of 40k since. Though he will tell others about the game. When asked why he doesn't play anymore he simply replies that all of his Eldar died in battle.
Turns out that he'd decided that he was done with 40k & had chosen for his Eldar to commit suicide by combat. So he chose a match where he was sure he'd be tabled.
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle





In My Lab

ccs wrote:
Ages ago (Early 4th) at the local shop of the time I played a guy who was all psyched & eager to pit his Eldar vs my 3 Baneblades (two old Armorcasts & 1 of the new FW ones).
He knew what 'Blades were. He had no problem with people fielding whatever. And HE requested the match up.

I get to the shop & find out he's already set up the terrain. This wasn't unusual as it was the groups custom of who ever got there first would set up the table & then others had the option to change things to a degree (as long as the original table theme was kept) But it looked pretty.... sparse. Wich was of much waaay more benefit to me than the Eldar (unless he had something up his sleeve I didn't know about {spoiler: he didn't}.) So for HIS benefit I added some more areas of cover & some actual LoS blockage - some boccage, & some buildings. It was still pretty wide open ag fields, but now, whatever the side there were areas he could potentially use to approach objectives/Blades if he chose.

So we rolled for mission, deployment areas & 1st turn.
He took 1st turn.

He proceeded to cheerfully swarm his entire army, save for a few lance platforms & a Fire Prism, straight forward into the waiting teeth of 3 Baneblades.
Zero attempt to use any type of cover or to hit either flank (where the volume of fire he'd take would've been much less due to fire arcs/limited LoS), or any other tactic.
He landed a few lance weapons hits wich did virtually nothing to my blades.

Play passes to me. About 75% of his army ceases to exist. When the dice stop rolling he has nothing anywhere my tanks or objectives & zero chance of winning shy of getting lucky shots when rolling on the Super Heavy Damage table & blowing me up.

Turn 2:
I take a few more lance shots, none of wich fell into the lucky category.
1) I move forward a bit to make sure I have all surviving Eldar in ranges/arcs. 2) I finish tabling him.
And he's perfectly fine with this.

He hasn't played a game of 40k since. Though he will tell others about the game. When asked why he doesn't play anymore he simply replies that all of his Eldar died in battle.
Turns out that he'd decided that he was done with 40k & had chosen for his Eldar to commit suicide by combat. So he chose a match where he was sure he'd be tabled.
Well... At least he was in good spirits?

Weird, to be sure, but not harming anyone.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in ie
Dakka Veteran




Ireland

ccs wrote:
Ages ago (Early 4th) at the local shop of the time I played a guy who was all psyched & eager to pit his Eldar vs my 3 Baneblades (two old Armorcasts & 1 of the new FW ones).
He knew what 'Blades were. He had no problem with people fielding whatever. And HE requested the match up.

I get to the shop & find out he's already set up the terrain. This wasn't unusual as it was the groups custom of who ever got there first would set up the table & then others had the option to change things to a degree (as long as the original table theme was kept) But it looked pretty.... sparse. Wich was of much waaay more benefit to me than the Eldar (unless he had something up his sleeve I didn't know about {spoiler: he didn't}.) So for HIS benefit I added some more areas of cover & some actual LoS blockage - some boccage, & some buildings. It was still pretty wide open ag fields, but now, whatever the side there were areas he could potentially use to approach objectives/Blades if he chose.

So we rolled for mission, deployment areas & 1st turn.
He took 1st turn.

He proceeded to cheerfully swarm his entire army, save for a few lance platforms & a Fire Prism, straight forward into the waiting teeth of 3 Baneblades.
Zero attempt to use any type of cover or to hit either flank (where the volume of fire he'd take would've been much less due to fire arcs/limited LoS), or any other tactic.
He landed a few lance weapons hits wich did virtually nothing to my blades.

Play passes to me. About 75% of his army ceases to exist. When the dice stop rolling he has nothing anywhere my tanks or objectives & zero chance of winning shy of getting lucky shots when rolling on the Super Heavy Damage table & blowing me up.

Turn 2:
I take a few more lance shots, none of wich fell into the lucky category.
1) I move forward a bit to make sure I have all surviving Eldar in ranges/arcs. 2) I finish tabling him.
And he's perfectly fine with this.

He hasn't played a game of 40k since. Though he will tell others about the game. When asked why he doesn't play anymore he simply replies that all of his Eldar died in battle.
Turns out that he'd decided that he was done with 40k & had chosen for his Eldar to commit suicide by combat. So he chose a match where he was sure he'd be tabled.


That is from a narrative point of view, quite cool. He gave his army a good sending off. Sure they didn't achieve much by the sounds of it, but I bet he got some satisfaction out of being able to tell the story of his Eldar dying.

My oddest experience, was at a club games day. Me and another player had arranged to play a game of KoW. Unbeknown to us at the time two 40k players had decided to play a game of Apocalypse. We agreed to play after them as table space was limited. They took two of the six tables to play a game that lasted from 10am till 7.30pm (ish). A bit extreme, and when this was brought up on the group chat, I was somehow to blame.

I still get a laugh out of it to this day, the sheer audacity is boggling. I watched bits of the game, and nothing seemed to happen at all.

The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused. 
   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter





 stonehorse wrote:
ccs wrote:
Ages ago (Early 4th) at the local shop of the time I played a guy who was all psyched & eager to pit his Eldar vs my 3 Baneblades (two old Armorcasts & 1 of the new FW ones).
He knew what 'Blades were. He had no problem with people fielding whatever. And HE requested the match up.

I get to the shop & find out he's already set up the terrain. This wasn't unusual as it was the groups custom of who ever got there first would set up the table & then others had the option to change things to a degree (as long as the original table theme was kept) But it looked pretty.... sparse. Wich was of much waaay more benefit to me than the Eldar (unless he had something up his sleeve I didn't know about {spoiler: he didn't}.) So for HIS benefit I added some more areas of cover & some actual LoS blockage - some boccage, & some buildings. It was still pretty wide open ag fields, but now, whatever the side there were areas he could potentially use to approach objectives/Blades if he chose.

So we rolled for mission, deployment areas & 1st turn.
He took 1st turn.

He proceeded to cheerfully swarm his entire army, save for a few lance platforms & a Fire Prism, straight forward into the waiting teeth of 3 Baneblades.
Zero attempt to use any type of cover or to hit either flank (where the volume of fire he'd take would've been much less due to fire arcs/limited LoS), or any other tactic.
He landed a few lance weapons hits wich did virtually nothing to my blades.

Play passes to me. About 75% of his army ceases to exist. When the dice stop rolling he has nothing anywhere my tanks or objectives & zero chance of winning shy of getting lucky shots when rolling on the Super Heavy Damage table & blowing me up.

Turn 2:
I take a few more lance shots, none of wich fell into the lucky category.
1) I move forward a bit to make sure I have all surviving Eldar in ranges/arcs. 2) I finish tabling him.
And he's perfectly fine with this.

He hasn't played a game of 40k since. Though he will tell others about the game. When asked why he doesn't play anymore he simply replies that all of his Eldar died in battle.
Turns out that he'd decided that he was done with 40k & had chosen for his Eldar to commit suicide by combat. So he chose a match where he was sure he'd be tabled.


That is from a narrative point of view, quite cool. He gave his army a good sending off. Sure they didn't achieve much by the sounds of it, but I bet he got some satisfaction out of being able to tell the story of his Eldar dying.

My oddest experience, was at a club games day. Me and another player had arranged to play a game of KoW. Unbeknown to us at the time two 40k players had decided to play a game of Apocalypse. We agreed to play after them as table space was limited. They took two of the six tables to play a game that lasted from 10am till 7.30pm (ish). A bit extreme, and when this was brought up on the group chat, I was somehow to blame.

I still get a laugh out of it to this day, the sheer audacity is boggling. I watched bits of the game, and nothing seemed to happen at all.


That's basically apocalypse. My friend group repeatedly had the idea to play bit team games of apocalypse. We would start around 10 and usually not be finished by midnight. One time, I got a game in with one of my friends between turns with my models that had died already while waiting for the other team to take their movement phase.

It does give some memorable moments pertinent to super-heavies doing cool stuff, but now that there's super heavies in regular 40k, those aren't really special apocalypse moments anymore and it's just slow.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/15 23:38:58


Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades! 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Imperial Guard Landspeeder Pilot




On moon miranda.

ccs wrote:

He hasn't played a game of 40k since. Though he will tell others about the game. When asked why he doesn't play anymore he simply replies that all of his Eldar died in battle.
Turns out that he'd decided that he was done with 40k & had chosen for his Eldar to commit suicide by combat. So he chose a match where he was sure he'd be tabled.
This is actually...kinda cool. Weird, but cool. I can respect that

IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

Heavy Gear Painting Log, Northern Guard, Southern Republican Army, and Terrain
The correct pronunciation is Imperial Guard and Stormtroopers, "Astra Militarum" and "Tempestus Scions" are something you'll find at Hogwarts.  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Central California

I have had the usual things (dice cheaters, rage quitters, a guy who had every marine named and would have them talk to each other when they moved, shot, etc (and to be honest, this guy was cool and fun and I'd play him again and twice on Sunday)) However...
I once had a player beg to break a model apart on the last turn of the game so that it could control two objectives and gain the needed VP's to win (this was 6th or 7th ed). Is this cheating? Yes (talk about your modeling for advantage) but the weird thing is it almost made sense. It was a transport flyer with a unit inside, and the explanation was it crashed and scattered across. It was a game for fun, so we made a rule up and played it like this; He placed the pieces by using the scatter die, then the models inside, and the pilots. Then he rolled to see who died in the crash model by model. The result was...he lost because the two pilot models died and they were holding one objective.

Now, the model was unpainted and hadn't been fully glued, so he wasn't destroying an expensive model. Again, this guy was a fun fluffy guy, and I enjoyed the match against him.

I will point out in that I may be the weird guy. I used to have a set of vehicles that were all magnetized so that when destroyed, I could pull off the top and replace it with a burning/damaged replica...(if you aren't aware, previous editions had destroyed vehicles left on the table as terrain...)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/15 23:56:21


Edward Myst
Long time gamer and creater of the free web comic
http://pawnsoffatecomic.weebly.com/

Check my older stuff out at:
http://edwardmystcreations.weebly.com/

Gaming Group outside Bakersfield. Interested, send a PM. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Annandale, VA

edwardmyst wrote:
I will point out in that I may be the weird guy. I used to have a set of vehicles that were all magnetized so that when destroyed, I could pull off the top and replace it with a burning/damaged replica...(if you aren't aware, previous editions had destroyed vehicles left on the table as terrain...)


That ain't weird, that's just cool hobbying- I remember seeing an article about exactly that in White Dwarf. My dad had a small box full of spray painted cotton to stick on top of vehicles to mark them destroyed.
   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter





edwardmyst wrote:


I will point out in that I may be the weird guy. I used to have a set of vehicles that were all magnetized so that when destroyed, I could pull off the top and replace it with a burning/damaged replica...(if you aren't aware, previous editions had destroyed vehicles left on the table as terrain...)


This is just normal. I used to take my turrets off and put cotton balls in the holes, until it was decreed that the cotton balls would no longer be available for game playing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/16 00:29:03


Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades! 
   
Made in us
Witch Hunter Undercover in a Cult







Had a game of Apocalypse right near the launch of 8e that was supposed to be our "goodbye to 7e" day where the other team insisted on a cover-free 36" of no-man's-land (for context my team had 30k Astartes, Tyranids, and Craftworlders, theirs was Guard and Tau, so we were grotesquely outranged/outgunned and Apocalypse at the time was supposed to be played with 18" no-man's-land to let it start going faster). The Tau player then wouldn't tell me what he was rolling when, called the game when I objected, and sent me an angry email after the fact telling me that he was so angry I'd accused him of cheating that I was never to contact him again.

Runner-up is a Warmachine player who scooped and walked out of the store (grousing at me about how much of a munchkin I was during cleanup) during a tournament after winning a rules argument over an issue on which he was completely wrong.

Balanced Game: Noun. A game in which all options and choices are worth using. 
   
Made in ca
Cultist of Nurgle with Open Sores




Canada

Kayback wrote:
Hahahaha. I used to play only with a group of friends back in the day. Plenty of "counts as" and even some paper cutouts of units that hadn't made it to South Africa yet but were in the latest WD. Those were some mad, fun times.

That being said I did venture out of my friends group once. ONCE. The guy would constantly narrate his armies moves. And then narrate mine too. I don't mean like "My heavy weapons squad shoots your Lictor" I mean full on "Now, in the heat of battle as the Lictor jumps from concealment the stanch defenders of Cadia open fire with their heavy weapons, the chugging bark of autocannons ripping the air."

It was fun and all to see them that involved but it made me question his sanity.


This is hilarious!! Haha. I love how you ventured out of your friend group ONCE hahaha. Such an awkward situation when you can't keep up with a stranger's nerdiness. You gotta fake laugh and pretend it's cool but inside you're like 'wtf is this guy doing'.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Inquisitor Lord Katherine wrote:
I did the "paper template in the size of a Leman Russ" at one time too. I also made some Leman Russ tanks out of wood and nails. The wooden ones are actually pretty decent.
But that was when my army was 35 Guardsmen, 1 2nd-hand Leman Russ tank that among other things didn't have tracks, and a lot of green army men. And that soviet commissar from one of the Lego sets.

I'm not the only person who makes tank noises (or other onomatopoeia] when I play, though if I do say so myself, I make the best of them . My friends once made fun of me for absentmindedly pushing a Vanquisher [mine] and the Hammerhead [not-mine] around dining table and having them engage is a tank duel like I was a little kid playing with dolls. Which too be fair, I am an adult [am I really though. Aren't we all just kids inside ] playing with dolls.


Sounds to me you are a goof more than anything hahaha. Yeah Warhammer brings out the children in us. Now that I'm in self isolation, I spend hours just staring at my army imagining fictional battles and events. I probably do make sounds for my guys.. I am just unaware of what I'm actually doing because I'm immersed in the fantasy.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Latro_ wrote:
Warhammer world years ago when kill team wasnt a game but they used to do events using a similar format.

guy was running chaos daemons, i'd made it to the top table with my orks.

He queried every rule, every inch, ignored rules that effected his stuff like (at the time) discs of tzeentch landing in cover needing a test. The games were short so no time to query anything. Fairly aggressive but trying not to appear like a d***. Was the definition of WAAC. Towards the end i was on the verge of telling him he was being a prick but i was a bit younger at the time, he was bigger than me and i just silently ranged inside. Had the nerve to ask how i was getting on in other games during the lunch break.

Same format different event, it was about the fime riptides came out and you could fit one into the format. So there were 20 riptides at the WHW event. What made it worse is after every round your units gained skills like FNP etc. Again with my orks his riptide was so powerful with ignore LoS weapons after the first couple of turns i said good luck mate, this isnt fun and walked packed me models away. Wasn't 100% his fault the format was broken and WHW changed it in later events but he didnt really see how ridic it was and play it more fun...

Another one was at a local touney a few years back towards the end of 7th, to be fair it was a tourney and i think he was an ETC team member. His army was literally about 100 fenresian wolves in a conga line with rune priests and DARK ANGELS psykers casting all sorts of madness. It was the most unfluffy army i have ever played against and he was cold calm and literally just appeared to be there to win, no banter, nothing.

+bonus people: casuals at local clubs over the years who simply do not know the rules well, this is where i'm on the other end appearing to be a d*** but literally playing the game correctly where they are suprised by pulling them up on things they are doing wrong / things i am doing which are now normal e.g. wrap'n'trap etc. I try to let these sorts of people know what i'm doing and 'forget' to fire the odd unit here and there if i see them getting frustrated but you can't just let them play the game wrong and it gets awkward



Yeah I can imagine that since you are an experienced tournament player it would be awkward to play people who don't know the rules. I've had a few experiences like this when I was learning. Basically my whole battle plan is moot when halfway I proceed he tells me I can't do that. Then everything is f'd and it is awkward!

I think unfluffy armies are literally the worst. I would hate to play something like that. However, as a Chaos player, I feel that I can mix and match stuff and get away with it fluff wise since Chaos is full of so many different scattered warbands. I do make some effort to make sure that every list make's some sense fluff wise though. Usually it's a mixture of World Eaters and some Iron Warriors and team up. Between those two I can have pretty diverse detachments.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
pm713 wrote:
Cheating. But the way he cheated was so weird. He'd just blatantly start moving his units way from our teams during our turn and when I called him out saying "Dave stop moving, it's our turn." He got in a right huff about the audacity of me not letting him cheat.

He was a bit...odd to play in general. He'd hop on whatever army people told him was best and take the units he was told were best but had so little understanding of how to play he never succeeded. It got to a point where he was using scatbikes and I was handily beating them with striking scorpions.

Edit: I remember playing someone who used Tyranids in 7th. This was meant to be a teaching game so I pointed out he needed to roll reserves for his trygon and other reserves which ruined his entire game plan and I felt so bad. Lovely guy though, he ended up playing some Tau Genestealer Cultists.


Oh dear god.. yeah I don't know how people can stomach playing a mix-match of units that shouldn't be together fluff-wise. I understand that you think the units are cool... but c'mon. Isn't an army that makes sense in the rich and deep world of 40k much cooler than just cherry picking the coolest models here and there?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
ccs wrote:
Ages ago (Early 4th) at the local shop of the time I played a guy who was all psyched & eager to pit his Eldar vs my 3 Baneblades (two old Armorcasts & 1 of the new FW ones).
He knew what 'Blades were. He had no problem with people fielding whatever. And HE requested the match up.

I get to the shop & find out he's already set up the terrain. This wasn't unusual as it was the groups custom of who ever got there first would set up the table & then others had the option to change things to a degree (as long as the original table theme was kept) But it looked pretty.... sparse. Wich was of much waaay more benefit to me than the Eldar (unless he had something up his sleeve I didn't know about {spoiler: he didn't}.) So for HIS benefit I added some more areas of cover & some actual LoS blockage - some boccage, & some buildings. It was still pretty wide open ag fields, but now, whatever the side there were areas he could potentially use to approach objectives/Blades if he chose.

So we rolled for mission, deployment areas & 1st turn.
He took 1st turn.

He proceeded to cheerfully swarm his entire army, save for a few lance platforms & a Fire Prism, straight forward into the waiting teeth of 3 Baneblades.
Zero attempt to use any type of cover or to hit either flank (where the volume of fire he'd take would've been much less due to fire arcs/limited LoS), or any other tactic.
He landed a few lance weapons hits wich did virtually nothing to my blades.

Play passes to me. About 75% of his army ceases to exist. When the dice stop rolling he has nothing anywhere my tanks or objectives & zero chance of winning shy of getting lucky shots when rolling on the Super Heavy Damage table & blowing me up.

Turn 2:
I take a few more lance shots, none of wich fell into the lucky category.
1) I move forward a bit to make sure I have all surviving Eldar in ranges/arcs. 2) I finish tabling him.
And he's perfectly fine with this.

He hasn't played a game of 40k since. Though he will tell others about the game. When asked why he doesn't play anymore he simply replies that all of his Eldar died in battle.
Turns out that he'd decided that he was done with 40k & had chosen for his Eldar to commit suicide by combat. So he chose a match where he was sure he'd be tabled.


This is actually a pretty hilarious story. But it seems sad though because it's like he still loves and enjoys his army despite never playing anymore or leaving the hobby. Usually when people peace out they sell their stuff in a rage and gripe about how games workshop is a terrible company. However the game in my opinion is better now than it ever has been. I'm happy I held through the darker years.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 AnomanderRake wrote:
Had a game of Apocalypse right near the launch of 8e that was supposed to be our "goodbye to 7e" day where the other team insisted on a cover-free 36" of no-man's-land (for context my team had 30k Astartes, Tyranids, and Craftworlders, theirs was Guard and Tau, so we were grotesquely outranged/outgunned and Apocalypse at the time was supposed to be played with 18" no-man's-land to let it start going faster). The Tau player then wouldn't tell me what he was rolling when, called the game when I objected, and sent me an angry email after the fact telling me that he was so angry I'd accused him of cheating that I was never to contact him again.

Runner-up is a Warmachine player who scooped and walked out of the store (grousing at me about how much of a munchkin I was during cleanup) during a tournament after winning a rules argument over an issue on which he was completely wrong.


Wow I haven't experienced that intense of an altercation, but I've definitely seen stuff go down in our local forums. There was a huge controversy when the 'old timers' who have been playing 40k since day one, who are mostly fluffy players, started feeling like they weren't enjoying the game as much with the advent of the new younger generation of 'power gamers'. Basically our community was divided because of this difference in players and I think people stopped picking up games and the league shut down for awhile. I think part of the reason this was happening was because back in 7th the rules were so broken than people could easily abuse stuff.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2020/05/17 15:53:43


 
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




While I’ve got stories of cheating and the like I’ve only ever played one genuinely weird person. When I was pretty new to the hobby back in 4th I agreed to play some guy at the GW near me. He seemed a little off and in hindsight he probably had some severe anxiety disorder. But after the second turn, it was a fairly standard game, he was probably coming off slightly worse than me mainly due to luck, but he just packed up his stuff and left mid game. He didn’t say anything just packed up his stuff, and boom gone. I kept bumping into him and he just ignored me after. I was pretty young at the time and didn’t want to say anything but it just felt awkward.
   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter





 stealth992 wrote:

Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Inquisitor Lord Katherine wrote:
I did the "paper template in the size of a Leman Russ" at one time too. I also made some Leman Russ tanks out of wood and nails. The wooden ones are actually pretty decent.
But that was when my army was 35 Guardsmen, 1 2nd-hand Leman Russ tank that among other things didn't have tracks, and a lot of green army men. And that soviet commissar from one of the Lego sets.

I'm not the only person who makes tank noises (or other onomatopoeia] when I play, though if I do say so myself, I make the best of them . My friends once made fun of me for absentmindedly pushing a Vanquisher [mine] and the Hammerhead [not-mine] around dining table and having them engage is a tank duel like I was a little kid playing with dolls. Which too be fair, I am an adult [am I really though. Aren't we all just kids inside ] playing with dolls.


Sounds to me you are a goof more than anything hahaha. Yeah Warhammer brings out the children in us. Now that I'm in self isolation, I spend hours just staring at my army imagining fictional battles and events. I probably do make sounds for my guys.. I am just unaware of what I'm actually doing because I'm immersed in the fantasy.


Dreadnoughts go "zoop-zoop-zoop" when walking. Tanks to 'tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic" when driving slowly to a low "grrrrrrrr" when moving at high speed.

Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades! 
   
Made in us
Steady Space Marine Vet Sergeant




San Jose, CA

 Inquisitor Lord Katherine wrote:
 stealth992 wrote:

Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Inquisitor Lord Katherine wrote:
I did the "paper template in the size of a Leman Russ" at one time too. I also made some Leman Russ tanks out of wood and nails. The wooden ones are actually pretty decent.
But that was when my army was 35 Guardsmen, 1 2nd-hand Leman Russ tank that among other things didn't have tracks, and a lot of green army men. And that soviet commissar from one of the Lego sets.

I'm not the only person who makes tank noises (or other onomatopoeia] when I play, though if I do say so myself, I make the best of them . My friends once made fun of me for absentmindedly pushing a Vanquisher [mine] and the Hammerhead [not-mine] around dining table and having them engage is a tank duel like I was a little kid playing with dolls. Which too be fair, I am an adult [am I really though. Aren't we all just kids inside ] playing with dolls.


Sounds to me you are a goof more than anything hahaha. Yeah Warhammer brings out the children in us. Now that I'm in self isolation, I spend hours just staring at my army imagining fictional battles and events. I probably do make sounds for my guys.. I am just unaware of what I'm actually doing because I'm immersed in the fantasy.


Dreadnoughts go "zoop-zoop-zoop" when walking. Tanks to 'tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic" when driving slowly to a low "grrrrrrrr" when moving at high speed.

This isnt weird, weird would he actually breaking your models when they die.

I like making noises and am currently working on actual sound effects for my armies.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

Racerguy180 wrote:

This isnt weird, weird would he actually breaking your models when they die.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plUPJ0inN4c

It takes 9 mins to actually get to it and then there's screaming noise metal but yeah - the one and only original sacrifice of an army to a new rules edition/game.



Otherwise I don't really have any odd stories to tell. I've avoided all the crazies. Or forgotten them or perhaps I am the crazy one and I've yet to realise my own tales!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/17 21:25:49


   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




There was a guy I played against where he started coughing blood on his army, but it was fake blood and he was playing World Eaters + Khorne daemons. I never saw him again and nobody believes me that it happens outside the one single dude that was at Hobbytown that day.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in ca
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





London, Ontario

I used to play against a dice thrower, back in yee olde days. Like, across the room.

I played against a guy that modeled fedoras onto his Space Marines. They had to earn them, so the "newbies" didn't have fedoras yet. Onto the helmets, not onto bare heads. He modeled fedoras onto the helmets.

I know I've played against people with mild personality quirks too, but those were the ones that stand out the most.
   
Made in dk
Discriminating Deathmark Assassin






Someone once accused me of bringing a meta list half-way through a casual game when I took a single unit of Destroyers and then a load of Heavy Destroyers. Now? Perfectly valid criticism, back when Heavy Destroyers were 35% more pts? Not so much. I calmly ragequit while sizzling inside and got sour every time I saw him since.

I'm lucky enough that I pretty regularly get asked if my there's something up with my dice or whether that was really my roll. I cackle like a maniac when this happens. I also say pop every time a vehicle of mine dies without exploding, I imagine all the air that gets displaced when the vehicle magically disappears makes a pop sound. When I'm not playing with one of my close friends I'll send a message to people I played against querying whether I did anything annoying if I liked the game we had, so far nobody has complained about the pop sound effect yet.

I played a competitive game against a stranger and got accused of fast-playing my opponent, something that I only do when people slow-roll dice that can be fast-rolled without any impact on the game. My opponent said the game was unwinnable their army was trash and the last time they played against my list they got stomped (buddy of mine copied my list), my opponent was just about to cry, wanted to surrender thinking I was a WAAC gamer. I calmed them down and said I thought they still had a good chance at winning and that I had no intention of fast-playing them. I ended up losing, which I suppose was for the best, at least I had the moral high ground.

I've played against someone who regularly coughed up blood, drunk people, high people, little bit of everything.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/18 06:31:46


 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Pots & kettles, girls, pots & kettles :-)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/05/18 06:20:37


 
   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter





Moriarty wrote:
Pots & kettles, girls, pots & kettles :-)


We're all mad here!

Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades! 
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

I think there's a dwarf spearman stuck through the wall at the old hobby club after someone got rather perturbed with their army in WHFB. Wasn't a game with me, but the person who lost their cool was a friend of mine.

Back in late 5th, I was getting back into the game with a Tau army and learning the game. Opponent was a rather notorious 15-year old who used proxies all the time, and didn't own any of the books. He just used the stats & points as he remembered them from games he played against other opponents. And while normally I don't mind proxies (a lot of folks in the club used them, and I had too in earlier years), he kept changing model profiles on me for whatever he needed to counter my units. He was also a fan of orks, and would yell "Waagh" at the top of his lungs at the start of every Melee phase, regardless what army he ran.

Of course, I didn't find out how notorious he was until afterward. By then, my Tau army had been ganked by a Jaws of the World Wolf from a bunch of blue-painted marines. Playing him apparently was considered some sort of initiation rite at the time, but it flat turned me off to the club entirely (which I'd interacted with on and off for last few years), and I did not return.




It never ends well 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



NE Ohio, USA

 stealth992 wrote:

Automatically Appended Next Post:
ccs wrote:
Ages ago (Early 4th) at the local shop of the time I played a guy who was all psyched & eager to pit his Eldar vs my 3 Baneblades (two old Armorcasts & 1 of the new FW ones).
He knew what 'Blades were. He had no problem with people fielding whatever. And HE requested the match up.

I get to the shop & find out he's already set up the terrain. This wasn't unusual as it was the groups custom of who ever got there first would set up the table & then others had the option to change things to a degree (as long as the original table theme was kept) But it looked pretty.... sparse. Wich was of much waaay more benefit to me than the Eldar (unless he had something up his sleeve I didn't know about {spoiler: he didn't}.) So for HIS benefit I added some more areas of cover & some actual LoS blockage - some boccage, & some buildings. It was still pretty wide open ag fields, but now, whatever the side there were areas he could potentially use to approach objectives/Blades if he chose.

So we rolled for mission, deployment areas & 1st turn.
He took 1st turn.

He proceeded to cheerfully swarm his entire army, save for a few lance platforms & a Fire Prism, straight forward into the waiting teeth of 3 Baneblades.
Zero attempt to use any type of cover or to hit either flank (where the volume of fire he'd take would've been much less due to fire arcs/limited LoS), or any other tactic.
He landed a few lance weapons hits wich did virtually nothing to my blades.

Play passes to me. About 75% of his army ceases to exist. When the dice stop rolling he has nothing anywhere my tanks or objectives & zero chance of winning shy of getting lucky shots when rolling on the Super Heavy Damage table & blowing me up.

Turn 2:
I take a few more lance shots, none of wich fell into the lucky category.
1) I move forward a bit to make sure I have all surviving Eldar in ranges/arcs. 2) I finish tabling him.
And he's perfectly fine with this.

He hasn't played a game of 40k since. Though he will tell others about the game. When asked why he doesn't play anymore he simply replies that all of his Eldar died in battle.
Turns out that he'd decided that he was done with 40k & had chosen for his Eldar to commit suicide by combat. So he chose a match where he was sure he'd be tabled.


This is actually a pretty hilarious story. But it seems sad though because it's like he still loves and enjoys his army despite never playing anymore or leaving the hobby. Usually when people peace out they sell their stuff in a rage and gripe about how games workshop is a terrible company.


Oh no, he doesn't still love & enjoy his army. Or the game. He's not bitter about it or anything, just completely long done with it. It's a game he played for a few editions (somewhere in 2nd before I met him to when he walked away) before deciding it wasn't really his thing anymore.
The story gets told now & then because he still plays board games at the now-current shop & occasionally runs into others from back in the day. Or when newer players are looking for opponents etc. Eventually you'll hear something along the lines of "I heard/I didn't know you played 40k/Eldar." "Yeah I used to play along time ago at {a previous, now long gone, shop} ." "Would you be interested in _____?' "No thanks, my Eldar all died in combat during their last game." Wich leads to ??? & the story being retold.


   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut






I played with a guy in a wheelchair once because he had been in a car accident and broke both legs.Man, talk about determined.

He had a relative with him move stuff and measure things for him. We were gaming at his place and he had the table set really low, as in legs taken off and sat on milk crates so he could see it. I ended up on my knees moving stuff a lot.

No problems, he needed some fun being stuck in like that. It was a good game and he didn't mind losing. I think it was the pain meds.

Possibly the only person on Dakkadakka not to hate "Another life".
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Didn't actually play him, but at a tournament I ran a long time ago a guy showed up in this weird costume of black cloak, full face-mask and thick padded gloves. What made it even weirder was that his shoes were just regular white trainers, which kind of ruined the overall look. Also, he was playing Blood Angels, which didn't really fit at all with his costume. Then, to top it all off, about halfway through game 2 he finally took off his gloves after suffering through a game and a half with basically zero manual dexterity. IIRC he played all his games pretty much in utter silence too. I'm not sure if he was trying to be intimidating or something but the whole thing came across as just kind of tragic rather than the sinister and mysterious approach he was going for.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

I guy in our gaming group in college was also in a local basketball league. They got done playing right before gaming started, so he was always in a hurry to get there in time. Super cool guy, and was always concerned about hygiene (no time for a shower before gaming) so he'd wipe himself off with a handful of wet-wipes, throw on some body spray and deodorant and get to gaming. His sweat smell was minimal.


However, he would still be wearing loose fitting stretchy gym shorts, and I don't think he wore underwear. He was just the right height to the gaming tables that when he'd have to lean over the table you could literally see his genitals laying on the table (through the shorts, non-exposed). He even knocked models off the table a couple times with his tallywacker.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




One of my first games was really strange, and more so considering I was new and did not know what was okey and what was not.

Played against an eldar soup player. normal deployment 5 objectives to cap. 2000pts.

got first turn, he didn't steal initiative. As soon as my turn started my opponent, who was 30 min late, informed me that he HAS to go for a smoke, went out came back 10 min later. I finished my turn. His turn was devastating, but I was not tabled, so turn 2 deep strike was going to be a thing.
As soon as my opponents turn ended, he had to go to the WC, and when he came back he again had to go out for a smoke. And he wasn't just smoking he was reading his phone talking with people etc. 10+ min passed again.

This was well in to 40 min in to the game, so the store owner came and said that, if we want to finish the game we are going to have to pay for the extra hour. I didn't have the money, so my opponent said that, if that is so then we are just going to check the points earned and list the game as being ended. I didn't know if saying no to something like that was okey, and he was someone who played the game longer, so we finished the game. He said bye and told me to fill out the form for the store event. Only next day one of the people that invited me to start w40k, told me at school that what I did was stupid, and that I should never do stuff like that again, because I am making them look bad too.

This was the strangest game of w40k I ever had.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: