Switch Theme:

Death Guard Tactica  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ar
Been Around the Block




Would Nurglings (say 3 units) and a Herald in a separate Patrol be a viable alternative to Cultists/Poxwalkers?
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




*Current meatspace coordinates redacted*

Nurglings, a Herald and Epidemius in a Battalion would be even better.

He knows that I know and you know that he actually doesn't know the rules at all. 
   
Made in nz
Dakka Veteran




Kzraahk wrote:
Would Nurglings (say 3 units) and a Herald in a separate Patrol be a viable alternative to Cultists/Poxwalkers?


Yes Nurglings are excellent. They're different to Cultists/Poxwalker screens in that they soak small arms firepower per point much better with their 5++/5+++. If the enemy shoots multi dmg weapons at them, then 1) they're falling on a 5++ wasting -AP, and 2) they aren't shooting those at your Plague Marines or Terminators, which is a win for the Deathguard force.

They're a great screener unit for making a more skew list where you're playing to the resiliency of the Deathguard to small arms rather than using Cultists/Poxwalkers as part of a recursion strategy. They're good at soaking mortals, they have good rules for getting out ahead of your force to where they need to be to function well as a screen compared to say Pox who are let down a lot by their lack of speed or Cultists who are cheap per point but very squishy when you factor in morale.

You don't have to take a Demon HQ either, any of the book HQ choices don't mind not having the Death Guard battleforged bonuses.
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle





They seem decent. I'm holding off on any Daemon units until the Codex. I wonder what direction they're going to take.
   
Made in ar
Been Around the Block




Halfpast_Yellow wrote:
Kzraahk wrote:
Would Nurglings (say 3 units) and a Herald in a separate Patrol be a viable alternative to Cultists/Poxwalkers?


Yes Nurglings are excellent. They're different to Cultists/Poxwalker screens in that they soak small arms firepower per point much better with their 5++/5+++. If the enemy shoots multi dmg weapons at them, then 1) they're falling on a 5++ wasting -AP, and 2) they aren't shooting those at your Plague Marines or Terminators, which is a win for the Deathguard force.

They're a great screener unit for making a more skew list where you're playing to the resiliency of the Deathguard to small arms rather than using Cultists/Poxwalkers as part of a recursion strategy. They're good at soaking mortals, they have good rules for getting out ahead of your force to where they need to be to function well as a screen compared to say Pox who are let down a lot by their lack of speed or Cultists who are cheap per point but very squishy when you factor in morale.

You don't have to take a Demon HQ either, any of the book HQ choices don't mind not having the Death Guard battleforged bonuses.


Guess I'll try them out. I'm already running a Prince, a Plaguecaster and 2 Blightspawns. I chose the Herald because it was the cheapest option and it lets me heal other Daemons
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Drewtavian wrote:
Hi sorry if it's a stupid question or not.
Just looked at the box set of termies - Lord felthius and his tainted cohort. One of the figures states it comes with a plague spitter. is this correct as the standard blightLord termies come with a plague spewer.

Points costs and stats are dif on the weapons so I can see a reason for this cheaper weapon option. so does any one else know what's different with the tainted cohort as a unit option over the standard blightLord termies? Can they be expanded etc

Sorry if it's been asked before.


The biggest difference is probably that you can field them as a unit of 3, blightlords are 5-10.

I'm also fairly certain that the weapon is a plague spewer not a plague spitter.

Plague spitters can be seen on one of the easy to build marines:
Spoiler:


Plague spewers are what the starter set drones have, which is pretty much same as what the cohort member is carrying.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in fi
Road-Raging Blood Angel Biker





That's a blight launcher on the top left corner, then there's a regular boltgun on top right..

   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User





 Jidmah wrote:
Drewtavian wrote:
Hi sorry if it's a stupid question or not.
Just looked at the box set of termies - Lord felthius and his tainted cohort. One of the figures states it comes with a plague spitter. is this correct as the standard blightLord termies come with a plague spewer.

Points costs and stats are dif on the weapons so I can see a reason for this cheaper weapon option. so does any one else know what's different with the tainted cohort as a unit option over the standard blightLord termies? Can they be expanded etc

Sorry if it's been asked before.


The biggest difference is probably that you can field them as a unit of 3, blightlords are 5-10.

I'm also fairly certain that the weapon is a plague spewer not a plague spitter.

Plague spitters can be seen on one of the easy to build marines:
Spoiler:


Plague spewers are what the starter set drones have, which is pretty much same as what the cohort member is carrying.



This is taken from games work web shops website.

His accompanying Tainted Cohort are no less horrific – 3 Blightlord Terminators. These are armed with the following: 1 carries a combi-bolter and balesword, 1 carries a combi-bolter and bubotic axe, and 1 wields a plaguespitter which is a bit, well, dribbly. Each has the horrible, rusted marks of Nurgle you would expect, and the Blightlord Terminator with the balesword is literally bursting with bubo-covered tentacles – they’re sticking out of where his face should be…

It confused me as the only units that have plaguespiters are a couple vehicles. Which already confused me with termies having a stronger version then the vehicle mounted ones. The plague spewer

Thanks anyway guys for input. I may still buy them then in any case just to have some alt poses..
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle





The Easy To Build Plague Marine has a Blight Launcher, not plague spitter/spewer.


And also as far as I know, there are no options to field just the 3 Blight Lord Terminators. When the FB team was asked, they kept saying only as an Understrength Unit auxiliary choice.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/27 14:46:06


 
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Drewtavian wrote:
It confused me as the only units that have plaguespiters are a couple vehicles. Which already confused me with termies having a stronger version then the vehicle mounted ones. The plague spewer

Ah, now I get it. Sorry

Terminators don't have an option for plague spitters, so I think it's safe bet to say the description is wrong and its just two different profiles for the same type of weapon.
Also, plague spewer are Strength: User, so they wouldn't be that great on S4 models anyways.

@Nightlord1987: Apparently, there is a dataslate for them in the box.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





I haven't had much of a chance to play my death guard yet (still collecting and painting it all), but I was wondering how you guys were using Typhus?

I see the advantages of deep striking him with Blightlords. Also it's pretty obvious he goes well with poxwalkers. Regarding that, are you all just having him walk up the board and buffing them, casting as well?

I ask because I'm wondering if he's doing much else besides the buffing, seeing as how it is a generally slow moving tide of models.
   
Made in ru
Cultist of Nurgle with Open Sores




Moscow

 akwing00 wrote:
I haven't had much of a chance to play my death guard yet (still collecting and painting it all), but I was wondering how you guys were using Typhus?

I see the advantages of deep striking him with Blightlords. Also it's pretty obvious he goes well with poxwalkers. Regarding that, are you all just having him walk up the board and buffing them, casting as well?

I ask because I'm wondering if he's doing much else besides the buffing, seeing as how it is a generally slow moving tide of models.


Even with poxwalkers, not always optimal to walk Typhus all the way doing almost as good as nothing... I prefer deepstriking him forward with some blightlords and have poxwalkers catch up with him on turn 2 - 3...
   
Made in sg
Dakka Veteran





Have a question. If I have a death guard detachment plus say a world eaters detachment. Then my deathguard still benefit from the deathguard legion rules, while my world eaters benefit from my world eater legion rules right?

Also, the force is considered battle forged because its all chaos right?

And I can use both deathguard strategems plus CSM strategems right?
   
Made in ru
Cultist of Nurgle with Open Sores




Moscow

Eldenfirefly wrote:
Have a question. If I have a death guard detachment plus say a world eaters detachment. Then my deathguard still benefit from the deathguard legion rules, while my world eaters benefit from my world eater legion rules right?

Also, the force is considered battle forged because its all chaos right?

And I can use both deathguard strategems plus CSM strategems right?

Right on all points (provided that no detachment is an Auxiliary Support detachment)... thanks to DG codex FAQ you can also use CSM stratagems on valid DG targets and vice versa

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/28 07:57:31


 
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Fielding pure a detachment of Nurgle Daemon from the new codex gives all nurgle characters in that detachment the following rule:



Seems pretty awesome if you manage to buff PBC, Blight Drone or Bligh Haulers with this.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle





Nice, Malefic Talons get a big buff now too!
   
Made in us
Grisly Ghost Ark Driver





The Eternity Gate

So much demon of nurgle in the DG stuff that benefits from a herald nearby. PBCs and Bloat drones are my immediate thoughts but possessed and demon princes could be fun too.

If that herald takes the virulence power that could turn a 1 damage attack into 4 with the loci 0.o

01001000 01100001 01101001 01101100 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01001110 01100101 01100011 01110010 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110010 01101100 01101111 01110010 01100100 01110011 00100001  
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Plague burst Crawlers with a cheap Herald and a Lord.
Give the Lord the Arch Contaminator warlord trait.

Rerolling 1s to hit and rerolling all wounds as well as doing +1 damage.
Can also hide at the back of the table indirect firing.

The Herald might also have some good psychic powers for further buffs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/28 20:14:21


 
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle




Tampa, FL

How have people been finding the Myphitic Blight-Hauler now that it's finally out? I bought 3 to use as anti-tank in my 2k list, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

- Wayne
Formerly WayneTheGame 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




*Current meatspace coordinates redacted*

They could be OK. I think they're inefficient compared to the Crawler, points-wise, but they aren't bad for what they do. They have decent speed in an army that needs it and they can zip around at full speed and fire w/out penalty. If you have three they hit on threes which might convince the opponent to concentrate on them early, which would be an excellent result for you.

He knows that I know and you know that he actually doesn't know the rules at all. 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Southern California

Worth 426 point for 3 of them though? Almost a quarter of your army in those 3 models
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




*Current meatspace coordinates redacted*

They;re T7 3+/5++ always in cover. That's at least in the vicinity of a Russ for the points (right? right?!). My main concern for the points is that they are under-gunned and the HtH doesn't make up for it. Fun, but not terribly efficient.

It's closer to 20% than 25% too. Not that changes the efficiency question. I'll mostly take a Crawler over a Hauler in a list that isn't casual. For casual play the Hauler is fine.

He knows that I know and you know that he actually doesn't know the rules at all. 
   
Made in nl
Been Around the Block




 Fenris-77 wrote:
They;re T7 3+/5++ always in cover. That's at least in the vicinity of a Russ for the points (right? right?!). My main concern for the points is that they are under-gunned and the HtH doesn't make up for it. Fun, but not terribly efficient.

It's closer to 20% than 25% too. Not that changes the efficiency question. I'll mostly take a Crawler over a Hauler in a list that isn't casual. For casual play the Hauler is fine.


They're not always in cover. Their aura only works on infantry.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




*Current meatspace coordinates redacted*

Ahh. Well never mind then. Durp. You'd think the boldface keyword might have clued me in.

He knows that I know and you know that he actually doesn't know the rules at all. 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




I want to try a Foetid Bloat Drone with fleshmower or a dual malefic Demon Prince buffed with virulent blessing , blades of putrification, locus fo virulence. Thats a lot of damage on a 7+.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I feel the need to point out that it's highly likely that you will need an entire detachment with the daemon faction keyword for the special abilities to go into effect, which the various deathguard daemon engines lack. They have the daemon keyword but not the faction keyword.

It's just a guess, but it seems logical to assume.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




SilverAlien wrote:
I feel the need to point out that it's highly likely that you will need an entire detachment with the daemon faction keyword for the special abilities to go into effect, which the various deathguard daemon engines lack. They have the daemon keyword but not the faction keyword.

It's just a guess, but it seems logical to assume.


Yes most likely, luckily a patrol of a Herald and some nurglings is cheap.and the nurglings synergize well and can get focus on your attackers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/30 09:07:02


 
   
Made in nl
Been Around the Block




I'd be surprised if nurglings stay troops. They're far too cheap and useful for that.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




*Current meatspace coordinates redacted*

snottlebocket wrote:
I'd be surprised if nurglings stay troops. They're far too cheap and useful for that.
They've always been troops. I don't see that changing just because they might be useful.

He knows that I know and you know that he actually doesn't know the rules at all. 
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle






Jacksonville, NC

 dan2026 wrote:
Plague burst Crawlers with a cheap Herald and a Lord.
Give the Lord the Arch Contaminator warlord trait.

Rerolling 1s to hit and rerolling all wounds as well as doing +1 damage.
Can also hide at the back of the table indirect firing.

The Herald might also have some good psychic powers for further buffs.


How do we get to reroll all wounds on entropy cannons, they're not plague weapons... I never got this lol

That said, the new Nurgle daemons are pretty exciting for Deathguard players!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/30 23:17:30


Check out my P&M Blog!
Latest Tourney results:
2nd Place ITC tourney 08/20/18 ( Battlerep)
3rd Place ITC Tourney 06/08/18(Battlereps
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: