Switch Theme:

Black Library News & Rumour thread: readers choice results  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

The cards makes me wish GW did more long term artbooks! I'd love to see a collected history of GW art like that - The Covers of White Dwarf (There's several hundred pages worth of art from classic to modern); The Imperium - Space Marines - Tyranids - Eldar etc...

They've just a huge library - sadly whenever we get the few artbooks they tend to be really short term products which means if you dont' get them in a week or two they are gone .

A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

Sad to have missed out on the audio drama, wasn't home until past seven, so gutted that it is already sold out.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

Just got an email that Ashes and Oaths is back in stock! Hopefully they can still deliver it on schedule to my FLGS this weekend.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

I'd get those cards for poker nights.. Price dependent..

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

€10,- for a deck of cards, not the end of the world.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

Yeah just seen them on the site. They're exclusive, I assume to events. Wish I knew that this weekend! I didn't buy anything for myself at fest but I would've bought them.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant





Looky Likey

I picked up a set along with this year's Primarch short story event collection. The cards have nice artwork and everything but it isn't themed particularly well. For example, shouldn't Horus be the King of one of the suites and not just randomly on the 3 of diamonds?

I'm not sure I'll use them as an actual deck of cards, they seem like they would scuff quite quickly, so I think I'll turn them into some sort of display piece.
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

Yeah that is weird.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Where were they at the event? I spent ages in the black library area and didn't see them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/14 17:05:58


Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah that is weird.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Where were they at the event? I spent ages in the black library area and didn't see them.


They were just on the shelves among the books.
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




 BrookM wrote:
Horror week at Black Library: https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/warhammer-horror-week-subscription-2019.html

Secrets in the wilds. Hidden truths brought to the surface. Miracles that turn into nightmares. Danger lurking in the dark. A welcome that's not all it seems. You'll encounter all of this and more in this week-long celebration of the dark and sinister side of Warhammer – subscribe now to ensure you don't miss a story.

Whether you're already a fan of Warhammer Horror, or want to dip in a toe and see what the new imprint has to offer, this selection of stories is a perfect way to get a dose of delicious danger every day this week.

4 eBooks | 3 MP3 audiobooks


First one is up:



When witch hunter Bered Davan sets out on the trail of a vile contagion that plagues Ghyran, he discovers something altogether deeper, darker and more terrifying…

READ IT BECAUSE
Explore how Chaos continues to thrive in the shadows cast by the light of Sigmar's heroes, and how the heroes who seek it out face horrors untold…

THE STORY
For many long years through the Age of Chaos, the lands of Ghyran suffered under the yoke of the servants of Nurgle. Disease wracked the lands, and life became an unending cycle of horror and misery. Then came light, in the form of the Stormcast Eternals, Sigmar's celestial heroes. Yet light cannot destroy darkness, as Bered Davan has learned. A witch hunter, he is no stranger to the vile things that lurk in the Mortal Realms, but as he hunts the source of a contagion, he will be tested as never before…

Written by David Annandale


Have you read it? Got a short review?
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

 ImAGeek wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
Yeah that is weird.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Where were they at the event? I spent ages in the black library area and didn't see them.


They were just on the shelves among the books.


Damn.. They must've all gone by the time I got to BL on Sunday. That's the price I pay for waiting for the queues toip go down I guess haha.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Savage Minotaur




Baltimore, Maryland

xking wrote:
 BrookM wrote:
Horror week at Black Library: https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/warhammer-horror-week-subscription-2019.html

Secrets in the wilds. Hidden truths brought to the surface. Miracles that turn into nightmares. Danger lurking in the dark. A welcome that's not all it seems. You'll encounter all of this and more in this week-long celebration of the dark and sinister side of Warhammer – subscribe now to ensure you don't miss a story.

Whether you're already a fan of Warhammer Horror, or want to dip in a toe and see what the new imprint has to offer, this selection of stories is a perfect way to get a dose of delicious danger every day this week.

4 eBooks | 3 MP3 audiobooks


First one is up:



When witch hunter Bered Davan sets out on the trail of a vile contagion that plagues Ghyran, he discovers something altogether deeper, darker and more terrifying…

READ IT BECAUSE
Explore how Chaos continues to thrive in the shadows cast by the light of Sigmar's heroes, and how the heroes who seek it out face horrors untold…

THE STORY
For many long years through the Age of Chaos, the lands of Ghyran suffered under the yoke of the servants of Nurgle. Disease wracked the lands, and life became an unending cycle of horror and misery. Then came light, in the form of the Stormcast Eternals, Sigmar's celestial heroes. Yet light cannot destroy darkness, as Bered Davan has learned. A witch hunter, he is no stranger to the vile things that lurk in the Mortal Realms, but as he hunts the source of a contagion, he will be tested as never before…

Written by David Annandale


Have you read it? Got a short review?


I digged it. A creeping sense of dread throughout the short story. Picture the movie "It Follows", but with an entire spectral army coming after you and a twist ending. Worth the purchase, imo.

The second AoS Horror short from last week "He Feasts Forever" was decent as well. Its about a cook who is preparing a feast for his Kings return and starts to see disturbing things. Not a big surprise at the reveal for anyone with passing familiarity to a certain Death faction, but was still creepy to see a more intimate look at how that faction operates/thinks.

edit: On second thought, might be better to buy them in a collected format. I'm an AoS fanboy so the price was worth it to me, but they are not lying about the "short story" part. Haven't read any of the 40K shorts yet, but aim to do so this week.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/05/14 20:47:35


"Sometimes the only victory possible is to keep your opponent from winning." - The Emperor, from The Outcast Dead.
"Tell your gods we are coming for them, and that their realms will burn as ours did." -Thostos Bladestorm
 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

AD-B interview:



Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest




UK

That was an enjoyable watch, thanks for posting BrookM

Imperial Soup
2200pts/1750 painted
2800pts/1200 painted
2200pts/650 painted
217pts/151 painted 
   
Made in nl
Never Forget Isstvan!





The Netherlands

Any summary or interesting bits to share here (for those of us unable to watch the video)?

The Wars of Tusculum Nova - A Vanguard Miniatures fanblog 
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest




UK

There was a lot of collaboration between authors, all in the same room etc.
Aaron wanted to kill Lorgar off in the siege
Dan Abnett gave Aaron a scowl he'll never forget
Aaron was glad the Heresy was ending and had been looking forward to getting to the siege

Imperial Soup
2200pts/1750 painted
2800pts/1200 painted
2200pts/650 painted
217pts/151 painted 
   
Made in nl
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

Shame nobody had any scowls for whichever numpty decided to kill off Ferrus.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 Yodhrin wrote:
Shame nobody had any scowls for whichever numpty decided to kill off Ferrus.


That was done in like the 90’s (80’s maybe?).
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

There's an official site now: https://siegeofterra.com/

Can't wait to see Dan's interview and I guess I'll also order the book for myself sometime next week, if the end is nigh, might as well get in on it.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 BrookM wrote:
There's an official site now: https://siegeofterra.com/

Can't wait to see Dan's interview and I guess I'll also order the book for myself sometime next week, if the end is nigh, might as well get in on it.


It’s one of the best HH novels I’ve read. I really enjoyed it.
   
Made in nl
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 ImAGeek wrote:
 Yodhrin wrote:
Shame nobody had any scowls for whichever numpty decided to kill off Ferrus.


That was done in like the 90’s (80’s maybe?).


Actually no, it wasn't. In the original material, both Ferrus and Vulkan disappeared at Istvaan. It was heavily implied they had died, but not outright stated anywhere I every saw. The decision to explicitly kill Ferrus(and then, just to rub it in, make Vulkan an unkillable Perpetual) was taken for the HH novel series specifically.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in de
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





The Shire(s)

 Yodhrin wrote:
 ImAGeek wrote:
 Yodhrin wrote:
Shame nobody had any scowls for whichever numpty decided to kill off Ferrus.


That was done in like the 90’s (80’s maybe?).


Actually no, it wasn't. In the original material, both Ferrus and Vulkan disappeared at Istvaan. It was heavily implied they had died, but not outright stated anywhere I every saw. The decision to explicitly kill Ferrus(and then, just to rub it in, make Vulkan an unkillable Perpetual) was taken for the HH novel series specifically.

Well, could be worse. Could be the abomination that is the Clan Raukaan fluff...


I have just got round to reading the supplement, and bloody hellfire is it bad. Like, making the Iron Hands seem overtly traitorous bad. Whoever wrote this either hates the Iron Hands and wanted to see them destroyed as a concept, or was an intern who wrote it in about an hour with the barest knowledge of Iron Hands (and Imperial) fluff, and how to write characters who are good at their jobs. Utterly terrible. They keep mentioning "cold logic" in the same sentences as staggeringly stupid logic a ten year old could see the mile-wide flaws in.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/16 22:05:01


 ChargerIIC wrote:
If algae farm paste with a little bit of your grandfather in it isn't Grimdark I don't know what is.
 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

 ImAGeek wrote:
 BrookM wrote:
There's an official site now: https://siegeofterra.com/

Can't wait to see Dan's interview and I guess I'll also order the book for myself sometime next week, if the end is nigh, might as well get in on it.


It’s one of the best HH novels I’ve read. I really enjoyed it.
After some of the interviews and Dan's remarks during his Voxcast interview, I am somewhat interested in this and tentatively looking forward to this one.


Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

I’ve just finished Spear of the Emperor, which I picked up at Warhammerfest, and I loved it. Seriously recommend when it comes out soon (8th June I think?)
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

Correct! I am awaiting that one since last year, it cannot drop soon enough, as I quite like the way AD-B writes marines.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in us
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

It’s an amazing book. He paints Nihilus perfectly. Couldn’t recommend it highly enough and the next one can’t come quickly enough!

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





How substantial are the classic Inferno! Magazine things they're releasing? There isn't any indication of page number or even the size of the pages themselves, so i really have no idea if these are White-Dwarf sized magazines or something smaller than that. I'm not sure if these are magazines or just books styled like them, even. Seems like they might only be available until tommorow unless i've got something wrong, but thinking of getting them...didn't realize the other ones were time-limited before!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/17 00:27:55


 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

They're about the size of a usual BL paperback.. Just under an inch or so thick.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Indomitable Hell Rider of Glorious Renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

 Mentlegen324 wrote:
How substantial are the classic Inferno! Magazine things they're releasing? There isn't any indication of page number or even the size of the pages themselves, so i really have no idea if these are White-Dwarf sized magazines or something smaller than that. I'm not sure if these are magazines or just books styled like them, even. Seems like they might only be available until tommorow unless i've got something wrong, but thinking of getting them...didn't realize the other ones were time-limited before!
Small magazines really, smaller than regular sized magazines, around 60 odd pages, with three to five stories per issue, one or two short comics, sometimes art features on things like vehicles, equipment or military campaigns.

I collect them for the sake of having a slice of Black Library history, but fair warning, a lot of these stories are very dated and really early days BL. But it's awesome to see where big names like Dan Abnett got their start.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

https://warminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/11/03/inferno-the-classic-era/

I've got a picture inside a couple of pages there. They are neat books and I think if you like the lore and short stories they are good fun. There's early adventures of some of the latter big names in both characters and authors. Some of these will be collected up in short story compendiums, but some of the characters that never made it out of the series are still unique to them - along with all the comics and other short bits.

I think if you find Warhammer settings fun you'll like them. note the price GW is charging is around what I've seen them going for second hand on ebay - though that's only a casual glance mind the price might well have shifted around.

A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: