Switch Theme:

Mortarion's sons Death Guard tactica 9th ed  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User






 Brymm wrote:
Depends how you play, you can play for To The Last just about every game if you use 3 PBCs and no terminators. But then again, what does that list look like?

If you use haulers or drones you can play for engage? I’m not entirely sure what DG are doing right now, besides not dying. 10 Blightlords won’t be dying too often in a game, controlling the center of the board is probably going to happen all game, so maybe Domination (or whatever it’s called, control 3 and more than the opponent).



Thank you Armor of Contempt lol.

Do you think taking 3 PBCs and 10 BLTs is a viable build or is it too bulky with too few models/points?
   
Made in us
Implacable Skitarii





Washington, DC

 Darkmatter wrote:
 Brymm wrote:
Depends how you play, you can play for To The Last just about every game if you use 3 PBCs and no terminators. But then again, what does that list look like?

If you use haulers or drones you can play for engage? I’m not entirely sure what DG are doing right now, besides not dying. 10 Blightlords won’t be dying too often in a game, controlling the center of the board is probably going to happen all game, so maybe Domination (or whatever it’s called, control 3 and more than the opponent).



Thank you Armor of Contempt lol.

Do you think taking 3 PBCs and 10 BLTs is a viable build or is it too bulky with too few models/points?


I have a thread in the Lists section, and this is essentially the alternative. Would love opinions before I think about committing to the additional models.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/05 21:29:42


3,000
3,000
2,000
2,000
2,000
Kill Team (2,000 in progress)
Bolt Action Late War Germans: 2,000+
Bolt Action Late War Brits: 2,000+
Bolt Action Late War US Airborne: 1000  
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User






I mean I'm a sucker for rule of cool, and PBCs and BLTs are some of the coolest minis out there IMO.

I've already committed to painting 2 more PBCs and they're coming along, I already have 5 BLTs painted and a box of 5 more so I'll probably paint those dudes after my PBCs.

Maybe I'll paint a Tallyman and Foul Blightspawn first though cuz I just made a cool base for them.
   
Made in hk
Longtime Dakkanaut





Anyone thought about allying in a Chaos knight? It seems that doing that doesn't prevent us from benefiting from the gift of nurgle contagion or all the rest of our army rules.

And we even get the shared faction bonus of 2 CP refunded if we make the chaos knight a Nurgle chaos knight? So only 1 CP to ally in such a knight.

Can be a great distraction carnefix taking up a lot of our opponent's attention on turns 1 and 2 while the rest of our slow moving army stomps up the board to get into position.
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






I somehow doubt that they would make for a better distraction carnifex than Mortarion.

I present you, the the most misquoted part of all 40k lore:
Genetor Lukas Anzion in Codex Orks, 3rd edition wrote:[...] To the Ork, the only conceivable explanation for this is that the vehicle travels faster because it is red. However, as disturbing as it sounds, these 'facts' become true. Red Ork vehicles do travel perceptibly faster than those of other colors, even when all other design aspects are nominally the same. Similarly, many captured Ork weapons and items of equipment should not work, and indeed do not work unless wielded by an Ork. I believe this is linked to the strong psychic aura surrounding all Orkoids and have developed the Anzion Theorem of Orkoid Mechamorphic Resonant Kinetics. I theorise that many Ork inventions work because the Orks themselves think that they should work. The strong telekinetic abilities of the Ork's subconscious somehow ensures that the machinery or weaponry functions as desired.

This is literally all GW ever wrote on this topic - everything else is meme knowledge 
   
Made in nz
Regular Dakkanaut





Ive been tinkering with a poxmonger list 2x2 myphitic 5 blights 2x3 shroud and 3xmelta stalkers wardogs.

Now suddenly my list is fast, has a ton of hard to shift obsec and 10 melta shots + 2 missiles and some hard hitting melee.

Also the 4++ relic from mongers means mws are my one weakness, and maybe 2 psykers can limit that some.
   
Made in us
Nurgle Veteran Marine with the Flu





Eaton Rapids, MI

Just played a 2k 2v2 team event at the Motor City Mayhem!
Went 2-1 with my son playing Salamanders.
We played a very mobile list focusing on To the Last, Engage and RND.
My half was three PBCs, two single MBHs, a Plague Caster, 5 PMs and 10 Walkers. I did Poxmongers with the Ironclot Furnace.

I did a lot of surviving, my son did a lot of killing. All in all, the PBCs are still awesome. I usually had line of sight to whatever I wanted to shoot, even with lots of obscuring terrain.

I feel like Death Guard are in a good spot.

Fly Molo of Dark Future Gaming!
http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User






 Brymm wrote:
Just played a 2k 2v2 team event at the Motor City Mayhem!
Went 2-1 with my son playing Salamanders.
We played a very mobile list focusing on To the Last, Engage and RND.
My half was three PBCs, two single MBHs, a Plague Caster, 5 PMs and 10 Walkers. I did Poxmongers with the Ironclot Furnace.

I did a lot of surviving, my son did a lot of killing. All in all, the PBCs are still awesome. I usually had line of sight to whatever I wanted to shoot, even with lots of obscuring terrain.

I feel like Death Guard are in a good spot.


good to hear as I finish up painting my PBCs side guns. I take it entropy cannons are typically the more desired choice for their range and punch?
   
Made in hk
Longtime Dakkanaut





Anyone tried a Land Raider after the new armour of contempt? Seems like they are pretty tanky now and should be able to survive pretty well. Delivering a bunch of Death Shroud Terminators into battle?

Turn 1, move 10 inches. Turn 2, the DS disembark 3 inches, move 5 inches, and have a 2d6 inch charge. So, if we start on the line, we have a turn 2 threat range of 10+8+2d6 inches, which sounds okish?

It has a 4+ save against AP3 and a 5+ save against even Melta AP4. And we can pop smoke to give it a -1 to hit. And Meltas wound it only on 4s.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/27 05:53:59


 
   
Made in us
Nurgle Veteran Marine with the Flu





Eaton Rapids, MI

I did a few practice games with that exact idea, plus a Lord of Contagion and a Foul Blight Spawn crammed in there for maximum threat overload. The problem wasn’t that it didn’t survive; it did. It wasn’t that it didn’t kill stuff; it did. The problem was the size of the land raider and the terrain!

It seems like now a days, any decently sized model that needs to get somewhere that isn’t infantry and doesn’t fly only has certain lanes it can drive in to get there. We played the GW style with like four giant obscuring ruins, two smaller obscuring ruins and two big forests. In that lay out, there was like no where to drive to effectively make that second turn extravaganza possible.

On the flip side, it was pretty easy to not be shot a lot because of all of the obscuring terrain, and I was able to scare my opponents to staying out of the areas I could drive to, and I was usually able to hop out on turns 3 or even 4, but I just didn’t like how the game unfolded, I had so many points tied up in the Raider/DS/LoC/FBS that didn’t do much until they engaged in the center of the board or near there.

Fly Molo of Dark Future Gaming!
http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in gb
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle






Gonna try dipping my toe back into 40k soon after a couple years hiatus. Obviously gonna jump straight back into Nurgle's finest but the game's moved on so much. Just wondering about these dataslates. With the new one kicking about, do you now ignore the previous ones? Or are the rules on them still valid?

Edit: Essentially, what do I now need to understand to play a game?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/06/19 05:48:41


Chaos | Tau | Space Wolves
NH | SCE | Nurgle
 
   
Made in ca
Nihilistic Necron Lord




The best State-Texas

 lare2 wrote:
Gonna try dipping my toe back into 40k soon after a couple years hiatus. Obviously gonna jump straight back into Nurgle's finest but the game's moved on so much. Just wondering about these dataslates. With the new one kicking about, do you now ignore the previous ones? Or are the rules on them still valid?

Edit: Essentially, what do I now need to understand to play a game?


Partly depends on your area. Most groups that play matched play tend to gravitate toward the current Chapter Approved rules. You'll need the new CA book if you play that version: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/warzone-nephilim-grand-tournament-mission-pack-2022-eng

Note, that they have updated secondaries in this book for Death Guard, which apparently are a very huge boost. You'll need that + the Latest Data slate (Which is currently not available on the community website) The points that will be published soon and your Codex.

That should get you going. Things are about to get very shaken up with that new CA book, so it's a good time to jump in. A lot of folks are very positive on the changes to death guard.

4000+
6000+ Order. Unity. Obedience.
Thousand Sons 4000+
:Necron: Necron Discord: https://discord.com/invite/AGtpeD4  
   
Made in gb
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle






Nice one, thanks.

So I've been looking into the new CA and apparently the army construction is changing? You start with 6CP and your warlord trait and relic now cost 1CP each. That means, at a max, we're starting with 4CP? If you want to run an extra detachment like, for example, a Spearhead detachment, that only leaves you with 1CP to start the game. With this in mind, I was thinking that a battalion would be the way to go but due to the limitations on Lords, I feel that we don't actually have that many HQ to put in.

Chaos | Tau | Space Wolves
NH | SCE | Nurgle
 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





How do we feel about the new CA? Two of my favourite secondaries to use with DG, To the last and stranglehold, are gone but apparently the 3 DG specific secondaries were all improved.

I'm generally happy with the changes to CP as it always sucked to be on the receiving end of a turn 1 multi stratagem alpha strike. And I only ever played with a single battalion so the changes to list building won't affect me. However, I loved splurging on warlord traits and relics, so I'll need to reduce these.

Likely cuts from my list; +1T and DR buff for my spawn, only a single warlord trait probably the plague weapon full reroll one and no more tollkeeper or MW grenade relics.
   
Made in gb
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle






 Fergie0044 wrote:
How do we feel about the new CA? Two of my favourite secondaries to use with DG, To the last and stranglehold, are gone but apparently the 3 DG specific secondaries were all improved.

I'm generally happy with the changes to CP as it always sucked to be on the receiving end of a turn 1 multi stratagem alpha strike. And I only ever played with a single battalion so the changes to list building won't affect me. However, I loved splurging on warlord traits and relics, so I'll need to reduce these.

Likely cuts from my list; +1T and DR buff for my spawn, only a single warlord trait probably the plague weapon full reroll one and no more tollkeeper or MW grenade relics.


Can I ask, what HQ do you run in that battalion? I've settled at the minute on a MP, LoC, and Prince. Thanks in advance.

Chaos | Tau | Space Wolves
NH | SCE | Nurgle
 
   
Made in us
Reading a Book in the Tower of Prospero





Curb stomping in the Eye of Terror!

Since Abbadon doesn't break legion rules (I think that's right), I think he'd be an auto-take in most DG list.

Thoughts?

6000
Live Ork, Be Ork. or D'Ork!

4000

∞ Chaos Daemons and CSM


 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 lare2 wrote:

Can I ask, what HQ do you run in that battalion? I've settled at the minute on a MP, LoC, and Prince. Thanks in advance.


Normally a LoC and MP. Sometimes a DP with the relic armour instead of the lord. But I'll now be taking the warlord trait off the LoC so I'm thinking a bare bones chaos Lord for the rerolling 1s would be more cost affective,
   
Made in gb
Raging-on-the-Inside Blood Angel Sergeant





Luton, England

So CSM landraiders now have T9 and D6+2 damage lascannons, if they errata ours to be the same I can see them getting some play.

30,000pts
12,000pts
2,000pts
4,000pts
4,000pts
2,000pts
4,000pts
2,000pts 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 WisdomLS wrote:
So CSM landraiders now have T9 and D6+2 damage lascannons, if they errata ours to be the same I can see them getting some play.


Somehow I doubt that this will happen...

I present you, the the most misquoted part of all 40k lore:
Genetor Lukas Anzion in Codex Orks, 3rd edition wrote:[...] To the Ork, the only conceivable explanation for this is that the vehicle travels faster because it is red. However, as disturbing as it sounds, these 'facts' become true. Red Ork vehicles do travel perceptibly faster than those of other colors, even when all other design aspects are nominally the same. Similarly, many captured Ork weapons and items of equipment should not work, and indeed do not work unless wielded by an Ork. I believe this is linked to the strong psychic aura surrounding all Orkoids and have developed the Anzion Theorem of Orkoid Mechamorphic Resonant Kinetics. I theorise that many Ork inventions work because the Orks themselves think that they should work. The strong telekinetic abilities of the Ork's subconscious somehow ensures that the machinery or weaponry functions as desired.

This is literally all GW ever wrote on this topic - everything else is meme knowledge 
   
Made in gb
Raging-on-the-Inside Blood Angel Sergeant





Luton, England

I think its at got a reasonable chance, GW generally likes to keep the same unit or wargear consistent across codexs.

30,000pts
12,000pts
2,000pts
4,000pts
4,000pts
2,000pts
4,000pts
2,000pts 
   
Made in gb
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle






 Fergie0044 wrote:
 lare2 wrote:

Can I ask, what HQ do you run in that battalion? I've settled at the minute on a MP, LoC, and Prince. Thanks in advance.


Normally a LoC and MP. Sometimes a DP with the relic armour instead of the lord. But I'll now be taking the warlord trait off the LoC so I'm thinking a bare bones chaos Lord for the rerolling 1s would be more cost affective,


Nice one, cheers. I think I'm just gonna have to play around with games and see what I prefer. Dropping a warlord trait (or artefact) is an interesting thought. Again, I'd have to actually play and see what's what but I think I would prefer to spend the CP and have the ability for 5 turns, rather than have a one off stratagem effect.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/06/21 14:33:45


Chaos | Tau | Space Wolves
NH | SCE | Nurgle
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 WisdomLS wrote:
So CSM landraiders now have T9 and D6+2 damage lascannons, if they errata ours to be the same I can see them getting some play.

Doesn't make them any more attractive. Well built armies can lowest bracket a Knight at minimum.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Points changes in the app.

Here is what I noticed quickly.
Morty down 40
PBC down 15
MBD down 15
Deathshroud down 5
Foul blightspawn down 5

There may be others but that is what I have noticed quickly looking at recent posts I built in app and had sent it to friends (so had a before and after reference)

Unless of course my app was way out of date and this includes last change too. 🤣
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Yep, I saw these too. Others I noted;
Bloat drone down 20
Helbrute down 15
Blightlords down 2
Deathshroud down 5
Poxwalkers down 1
Plaguecaster down 5
Demon Prince down 10

So undoing the stupid increases from last time while giving further reductions to our demonic engines

EDIT - hold the phone! Check this out, "(weapons and other wargear not listed in a unit’s entry cost no additional points to include in that unit)" Am I reading this right or does that mean that ALL plague marine wargear is now free?!?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/06/22 14:21:32


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut



Glasgow

Yes that is what it says RAW
   
Made in hk
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Fergie0044 wrote:
Yep, I saw these too. Others I noted;
Bloat drone down 20
Helbrute down 15
Blightlords down 2
Deathshroud down 5
Poxwalkers down 1
Plaguecaster down 5
Demon Prince down 10

So undoing the stupid increases from last time while giving further reductions to our demonic engines

EDIT - hold the phone! Check this out, "(weapons and other wargear not listed in a unit’s entry cost no additional points to include in that unit)" Am I reading this right or does that mean that ALL plague marine wargear is now free?!?



Yes, all your special weapons on plague marine squads are now free. And that's ... a ton of points per squad.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/06/22 15:08:44


 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Amazing. Without even tailoring for these changes my list drops 177 points!
   
Made in us
Reading a Book in the Tower of Prospero





Curb stomping in the Eye of Terror!

Anyone have an opinion on optimal wargear config for Plague Marines, now that the wargears are free?

I guess we need to separate out a shooty vs CC setup? Or, is a mix of the two better?

6000
Live Ork, Be Ork. or D'Ork!

4000

∞ Chaos Daemons and CSM


 
   
Made in nl
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle





Well assuming you have that many correctly assembled PM I personally am going to try fully blinged out squads, 2 Blightlaunchers, 3 plasma a squad and 2 cleavers or flails. No need to separate out melee or ranged when we can do both for free now. Toss in an icon while you're at it too. My main issue with using PM was their lack of teeth unless you were willing to spend almost 300 points on a squad. I'm really excited to try them out now though.
   
Made in is
Charing Cold One Knight





So I am a bit confused by the Plague Marine thing.

The MFM shows PM at 21 points with free upgrades but the app shows PM at 18 points with expensive upgrades.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: