Switch Theme:

All of these re-branding needs to stop.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in nl
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller






your mind

Cronch wrote:
Leviadon is just GW's fetish for the word tooth. Nothing new, stegadon was first named in the 90s, and now we also have the bastiladon. I swear, if they could, GW would call all reptiles X+don. Lizarddon, coldonedon, the chapter of salamanderdons...

As for the allopex, i'm fairly sure they just looked up tresher sharks, which are Alopiidae, literally sea foxes. Which is also proof that IRL names can be dumb as heck too.

Rhinos are hard charging tough and a lot of critters might ride on top of one

Ah yes, rhinos, famous for being easy to ride


The word "easy" wasn't in my description...
I guess if it were easy, then adeptus restartes would be able to do it...

   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




there are legends about people raiding on mamooths, great cave bears and wool rhinos. The normal rhino is much smaller, so it shouldn't be that hard to ride on one. especialy with todays technology.
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

CthuluIsSpy wrote:Idk, that's a lot of b sounds in one list. Its like a tongue twister. And then you have primaris, where nearly everything beings with I and you have a couple of words that sound almost the same. Its not as bad as spamming wolf or blood, but its still pretty bad.
True, but in all fairness, look at the Grey Knights with with Purgation, Paladin and Purifier Squads, or Stormraven, Stormhawks, Stormtalons, and Storm Eagles?
How about the bevy of AM superheavies? (Banehammer, Stormblade, Bladehammer, Banesword - I don't even know how many of them are real! )

Basically, confusing names and similar sounding things aren't exactly uncommon in 40k, past and present, which is my main point - given enough time, things largely become common knowledge. And, while I understand it's very much my experience vs other people's experience, I didn't really have a problem getting to grips with Primaris names any more than I did Knight classifications (which I still struggle with, despite those names being around for decades before I started 40k in Epic), or with AM superheavy variants. But, as I said, YMMV.

Read the history of the Charadon Crusade: The Crusade of Fury was at an end.
Join the Crion Crusade: I think it's the combination of butt jokes, democratic necrons, explosions, and mind-fething that draws people to this Crusade like moths to a bug zapper - War Kitten
Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





BrianDavion wrote:
re the Tyranid names, given the names are simply the IoMs reporting names for types of organisms some having names that make sense, and others beig idiotic and dervitive actually makes sense.

you've got some Tyranids specificly idnetified by AdMech biologists named via a naming pattern.

then you have new tyranid bioforms named by the first guard officer to describe them. well it turns out that guard officer wasn't very original


Fine. So then, why is "Drukhari" being the eldar name for..themselves, not a thing that is good or makes sense?
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

They're clearly big fans of the American version of Whose Line is it Anyway, and named their entire race after the host

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/14 15:45:31


What I have
~4100
~1660
: LM

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Why would you as a human, use the name some xeno use to describe themselvs? That would be like puting them on the same level as humans as far as validity of existance goes, which happens to be heretical.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Karol wrote:
Why would you as a human, use the name some xeno use to describe themselvs? That would be like puting them on the same level as humans as far as validity of existance goes, which happens to be heretical.


Because the whole "this is how the humans describe the things" shtick only makes sense for stuff like Tyranids, who probably call their various monsters SHRAAAAARKGHLKHGLKEARRRGS and SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPs and not really for races like Eldar, who probably would prefer to use their own names for stuff thank you very much.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Annandale, VA

the_scotsman wrote:
Fine. So then, why is "Drukhari" being the eldar name for..themselves, not a thing that is good or makes sense?


It is odd to me that the faction is 'Drukhari', using their language's name for themselves, but then all their units are English names- presumably translations or reporting names.

IRL it's usually the opposite. I would refer to a Heinkel He-219 aircraft as a 'German Uhu', not a 'Deutsch Eagle-Owl'. A particular nuclear submarine is typically called either the 'Russian Akula-class' (Russian designation) or 'Russian Typhoon-class' (NATO reporting name), not a 'Russkiy Shark-class' (Russian word for 'Russian' + translation of the literal name).
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
AngryAngel80 wrote:So you'd want to see an exhaustive list of all the names everyone might find silly and or overly dumb ? Would that more meet with approval ? Seems like yet another post of someone trying to downplay valid dislikes by brushing it off with an all too often thrown out phrase to belittle a comment or opinion out of hand.
My comment was specifically about the complaints about Lizardmen being called Seraphon. Lizardmen is perfectly descriptive, yes, but so is Ratmen.

Why the double standard?

" You don't like GW rules ? That's toxic "
No-one said that.

" You dislike this dumb name ? That's nostalgia "
Dumb isn't a fact. It's an opinion, and as I *actually* said, I used the term "most", in that I think "most" complaints wouldn't be being made if GW had always called it that. Hence why people don't complain about Skaven not being Ratmen.

" You don't want to put 40 dollars for one human sized model ? You're cheap "
Again, add that to the list of things nobody said.

What does it matter why someone doesn't like it ?
It doesn't matter. But OP uses an imperative - "NEEDS to stop" - why? Is that not worth a discussion, perhaps mentioning how the naming convention isn't really all that bad in context?
Sometimes the old ways were better ways
Not denying that, but sometimes, when the "old ways" were just the same as the current ones, and there's no complaining, doesn't that come across a little unfair? Specifically talking about Lizardmen/Seraphon vs Ratmen/Skaven here. Why is one bad, but the other just accepted?
That said, this isn't one of those things. It's an opinion based thing, so we can not see eye to eye but please let us stop at assuming that someone doesn't like it because " You have wrong think nostalgia eyes "
It is opinion, I agree, and if that opinion is based off of nostalgia, that's not a bad thing at all.
Don't mistake my "you prefer this because of nostalgia" as a criticism - it's perfectly valid, because that's your opinion.

There's no "wrongthink" here.
I don't need nostalgia to tell me a sloppity bilepiper sounds moronic.
I'm going to be honest, "Sloppity Bilepiper" isn't a good name. "Bilepiper" is fine though, IMO. That's why I'd only refer to it as the Bilepiper, same way I'd only refer to something like the Swordmasters of Hoeth as "Swordmasters", or an XV88 Broadside Battlesuit as a "Broadside".

I'm fully on board that a lot of the Adjective-Noun units sound a bit off, but it's not hard to refer to them by their noun, and it sound a lot better. So, a Death Guard army might consist of Bilepipers, Blightbringers, Plaguecasters, Bloat-Drones, and Blightlords, which is much more palatable. It's not to say GW are perfect, but their naming isn't irredeemably bad.


Ok Captain, see the list of things not said in this post doesn't mean it's not said all the time, I was adding the nostalgia thing to the list of often tossed around phrases you'd find countless times on this board to pick at someones disagreement in the most useless fashion. So yeah, not said here, as this doesn't involve those topics but disregarding dislike for rose shades, nostalgia, etc, is just like labeling anyone who dislikes something as toxic, or doesn't want to pay overly high prices cheap, that was why I put that there and if you read the intent you'd have realized that.

I never said the naming was all terrible but the vast amount of confusing or dumb names are relatively new creations within the last 5 years or so give or take. Yet again, I didn't say it was unable to be dealt with, and if they are dumb names it is in fact a fact for the person who feels they are dumb. Like, I think many of these names are stupid, that's a fact of how I feel. Now some may agree, some may not. Many of them you'd really be hard pressed to find good merit to however.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
CthuluIsSpy wrote:Idk, that's a lot of b sounds in one list. Its like a tongue twister. And then you have primaris, where nearly everything beings with I and you have a couple of words that sound almost the same. Its not as bad as spamming wolf or blood, but its still pretty bad.
True, but in all fairness, look at the Grey Knights with with Purgation, Paladin and Purifier Squads, or Stormraven, Stormhawks, Stormtalons, and Storm Eagles?
How about the bevy of AM superheavies? (Banehammer, Stormblade, Bladehammer, Banesword - I don't even know how many of them are real! )

Basically, confusing names and similar sounding things aren't exactly uncommon in 40k, past and present, which is my main point - given enough time, things largely become common knowledge. And, while I understand it's very much my experience vs other people's experience, I didn't really have a problem getting to grips with Primaris names any more than I did Knight classifications (which I still struggle with, despite those names being around for decades before I started 40k in Epic), or with AM superheavy variants. But, as I said, YMMV.


I think its a missing the forest for the trees thing. I think many of these names are bad, I'd probably rather skaven be Rat men just because it does make it more simple and easy to understand and many still don't know what the different super heavy tank names are for the Baneblade. I often joke about how they sound stupid.

It's just the level of which these silly sounding named groups pop up now. One, two, a dozen silly names is one thing, hundreds and hundreds and growing of them you start to go " Ok, can we calm down now with this. " It's the saturation that people eventually get disgusted by a dumb name here or there I'd think is expected but even the most jaded among us. Though some like, Murderfang, I will never stop saying is awful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/15 01:11:02


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




UK

 vipoid wrote:
 Daedalus81 wrote:


I think you're being quite optimistic with regard to potential new players remembering not just the name of a faction but also the very awkward and unintuitive name of a specific unit.

It seems more likely they'd be thinking to themselves "What were those units called? They were big, troll things. 'Dark Trolls', maybe?"
...
And like magic Games Workshop and its stupid names are suddenly nowhere to be seen.

Sometimes there are advantages to calling a spade a spade, rather than a Malefesicic Splodulator (TM).



Umm, no. If I had a friend playing the game, and I was interested in the unit, and I somehow then managed to forget that name between the time I saw it and the time I googled it (considering I have google and a notebook in my pocket at all times, this is unlikely), in the unlikely event this happened, I wouldn't just pick a random name out of the air and expect that to work.

I'd expect to end up on a Tolkien site. Or some other random fantasy page.

What I (and anyone with a brain) would do, is go to the GW website and look at the pictures. I'd then see the units I wanted, and the names. And THEN I might google them to look up cheaper prices or maybe tactics pages. All of which would only show the official models, instead of pages of third-party knock offs.

GW lose a lot of money due to copyright infringement, even after making these changes. Love them or hate them, you can't blame them for trying to protect their IP as best they can. Their lawyers suggested doing this, to make web searches less likely to direct people to forgeries.

It also makes things like recasters and 3D printers harder to use. Searching on a 3D model site for "Stone Troll" will get you lots of models, some usable some not. But if you search for "Dankhold Troggoth" might get you the model you want... but it also makes it INFINITELY easier for GW to find those models themselves and have them taken down.

So 3D models have to be hidden, making them harder to be used. Dedicated people will still find a way, but adding the hurdle will push a few more people to actually buying the models they can't find.

I honestly can't blame GW for any of this. I know a lot of artists, and people who produce things that -can- be pirated very easily, and it's a daily battle to avoid it. Just because GW are a big company doesn't mean they should just lie back and take it.

Not saying I'm completely innocent in this, because I'm not, but I don't blame GW for doing what they need to do. If the worst they do is change a few names, then good for them.

The
Webway
- An Eldar Tactica, as well as a work-in-progress.  
   
Made in dk
Stormin' Stompa





 NurglesR0T wrote:
What was wrong with the old names was that on nearly every point of IP infringement that was ruled against GW in court was do with the fact that they can't claim IP on generic fantastical labels.

It's why you no longer have Orks, but Orruks.

It's why you no longer have Elves, but Aelves.

Imperial Guard, Eldar and Space Marines are not original names which is why steadily over the years they have been rebranded under a clearer IP and their own creation.



Which demonstrates GW's complete inability to understand IP law.
GW seems to think, that if a faction or unit is named with an easily trademarkable name, then other companies cannot make ANY use of said name - which is of course incorrect.
Any third party has always been able - and will STILL be able - to mention said faction or unit.

Here is an example that infringes on GW's IP, when made by a third party;
"This is an Astra Militarium model."

Here is an example that DOES NOT infringe on GW's IP;
"This upgrade pack is compatible with the GW® Astra Militarium® range."

This is no different, than a third party making an after-market part for a Ford F150 - and saying that it is specifically made to fit a Ford F150.


-------------------------------------------------------
"He died because he had no honor. He had no honor and the Emperor was watching."

18.000 3.500 8.200 3.300 2.400 3.100 5.500 2.500 3.200 3.000


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




But, but , I am looking forward to my brand new units of Slogwarden Slippery Gnarlmeans.
   
Made in gb
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought




Nottingham

AngryAngel80 wrote:Ok Captain, see the list of things not said in this post doesn't mean it's not said all the time, I was adding the nostalgia thing to the list of often tossed around phrases you'd find countless times on this board to pick at someones disagreement in the most useless fashion. So yeah, not said here, as this doesn't involve those topics but disregarding dislike for rose shades, nostalgia, etc, is just like labeling anyone who dislikes something as toxic, or doesn't want to pay overly high prices cheap, that was why I put that there and if you read the intent you'd have realized that.
No, I saw what you meant, but seeing as no-one was actually saying that in this thread, it either wasn't really important to the discussion at best, or a strawman at worst. Regardless, I suppose it's best we move on from that?

I never said the naming was all terrible but the vast amount of confusing or dumb names are relatively new creations within the last 5 years or so give or take. Yet again, I didn't say it was unable to be dealt with, and if they are dumb names it is in fact a fact for the person who feels they are dumb. Like, I think many of these names are stupid, that's a fact of how I feel. Now some may agree, some may not. Many of them you'd really be hard pressed to find good merit to however.
Perhaps, but again, that's all down to personal perspective. I've never struggled with the Primaris names, and most of my gripes with certain new names I can remedy with simply removing the first word (Sloppity Bilepiper, for instance).
My point wasn't that all names were good, but that having seemingly "unique" names (like Seraphon) isn't a new thing - Skaven not being simply called Ratmen, for example, or Kasrkin not just being called Storm Troopers (which seems to be functionally what they were, at least in my experience) or my later mention of the vast range of AM super-heavies - I'm sure many of the unfamiliar names will settle, with enough time passing.


I think its a missing the forest for the trees thing. I think many of these names are bad, I'd probably rather skaven be Rat men just because it does make it more simple and easy to understand and many still don't know what the different super heavy tank names are for the Baneblade. I often joke about how they sound stupid.
If you do complain about the superheavy naming convention, then I appreciate your honesty and consistency. However, I'm not exactly seeing reams of threads complaining about how Skaven being called that is just GW making a shameless IP grab, or likewise with the AM SHVs - mostly because, as I suspect, time has rounded out the edges. Given enough time, I'm sure Seraphon will be common parlance like how Skaven is, and how 40k Orks changed from being Space Orcs to what they are now.

It's just the level of which these silly sounding named groups pop up now. One, two, a dozen silly names is one thing, hundreds and hundreds and growing of them you start to go " Ok, can we calm down now with this. " It's the saturation that people eventually get disgusted by a dumb name here or there I'd think is expected but even the most jaded among us. Though some like, Murderfang, I will never stop saying is awful.
Oh, I've got no love lost for a lot of the Space Wolves stuff, but I'm not really phased by a lot of the new stuff - again, I think it's, as you say, a saturation thing - like butter on your toast, you want to let it melt in a bit before you eat it, not just cold off the top.

Eventually, I'm sure the now-strange names will be more normal. We're just going through a patch now where a lot of new stuff is being added all in one go, so there's understandably a lot to take in.

Read the history of the Charadon Crusade: The Crusade of Fury was at an end.
Join the Crion Crusade: I think it's the combination of butt jokes, democratic necrons, explosions, and mind-fething that draws people to this Crusade like moths to a bug zapper - War Kitten
Rippy wrote:Never forgetti, template spaghetti.
DR:90S++G++MB+IPw40k07-D++A++/sWD366R++T(F)DM+ 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




UK

Steelmage99 wrote:
 NurglesR0T wrote:
What was wrong with the old names was that on nearly every point of IP infringement that was ruled against GW in court was do with the fact that they can't claim IP on generic fantastical labels.

It's why you no longer have Orks, but Orruks.

It's why you no longer have Elves, but Aelves.

Imperial Guard, Eldar and Space Marines are not original names which is why steadily over the years they have been rebranded under a clearer IP and their own creation.



Which demonstrates GW's complete inability to understand IP law.
GW seems to think, that if a faction or unit is named with an easily trademarkable name, then other companies cannot make ANY use of said name - which is of course incorrect.
Any third party has always been able - and will STILL be able - to mention said faction or unit.

Here is an example that infringes on GW's IP, when made by a third party;
"This is an Astra Militarium model."

Here is an example that DOES NOT infringe on GW's IP;
"This upgrade pack is compatible with the GW® Astra Militarium® range."

This is no different, than a third party making an after-market part for a Ford F150 - and saying that it is specifically made to fit a Ford F150.



If this is true (and i'm not saying it isn't, I'm not a lawyer), then all of the DMCA notices that GW have been handing out would be worthless and nobody would be listening to them.

Except that instead, all of the 'compatible with Astra Militarium®' models get taken down immediately.

So... either you're wrong, or all the other lawyers for companies out there also don't know copyright law.

The
Webway
- An Eldar Tactica, as well as a work-in-progress.  
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




Niiru wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:
 NurglesR0T wrote:
What was wrong with the old names was that on nearly every point of IP infringement that was ruled against GW in court was do with the fact that they can't claim IP on generic fantastical labels.

It's why you no longer have Orks, but Orruks.

It's why you no longer have Elves, but Aelves.

Imperial Guard, Eldar and Space Marines are not original names which is why steadily over the years they have been rebranded under a clearer IP and their own creation.



Which demonstrates GW's complete inability to understand IP law.
GW seems to think, that if a faction or unit is named with an easily trademarkable name, then other companies cannot make ANY use of said name - which is of course incorrect.
Any third party has always been able - and will STILL be able - to mention said faction or unit.

Here is an example that infringes on GW's IP, when made by a third party;
"This is an Astra Militarium model."

Here is an example that DOES NOT infringe on GW's IP;
"This upgrade pack is compatible with the GW® Astra Militarium® range."

This is no different, than a third party making an after-market part for a Ford F150 - and saying that it is specifically made to fit a Ford F150.



If this is true (and i'm not saying it isn't, I'm not a lawyer), then all of the DMCA notices that GW have been handing out would be worthless and nobody would be listening to them.

Except that instead, all of the 'compatible with Astra Militarium®' models get taken down immediately.

So... either you're wrong, or all the other lawyers for companies out there also don't know copyright law.


One of the reasons that people comply, is even fighting it can be way to expensive. Legality is Irrelevant if you cannot fight it In these cases.
One issue With the DMCA is it is not that hard to do. It’s cheap, quick and gets results even if you are wrong.
And I am not sure it’s even worth keeping the compatible with Astra Militarium is worth the hassle.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





the_scotsman wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
re the Tyranid names, given the names are simply the IoMs reporting names for types of organisms some having names that make sense, and others beig idiotic and dervitive actually makes sense.

you've got some Tyranids specificly idnetified by AdMech biologists named via a naming pattern.

then you have new tyranid bioforms named by the first guard officer to describe them. well it turns out that guard officer wasn't very original


Fine. So then, why is "Drukhari" being the eldar name for..themselves, not a thing that is good or makes sense?


I never said it didn't make sense personally. makes perfect sense to me that both names would exist and the two words are used interchangably. in fact a smart writer can even use this, an inqusitor of the ordo xenos refers to them as drukhari, a IG general calls them dark eldar. the random guardsman just calls them eldar and doesn't even realize there are differant types

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
AngryAngel80 wrote:Ok Captain, see the list of things not said in this post doesn't mean it's not said all the time, I was adding the nostalgia thing to the list of often tossed around phrases you'd find countless times on this board to pick at someones disagreement in the most useless fashion. So yeah, not said here, as this doesn't involve those topics but disregarding dislike for rose shades, nostalgia, etc, is just like labeling anyone who dislikes something as toxic, or doesn't want to pay overly high prices cheap, that was why I put that there and if you read the intent you'd have realized that.
No, I saw what you meant, but seeing as no-one was actually saying that in this thread, it either wasn't really important to the discussion at best, or a strawman at worst. Regardless, I suppose it's best we move on from that?

I never said the naming was all terrible but the vast amount of confusing or dumb names are relatively new creations within the last 5 years or so give or take. Yet again, I didn't say it was unable to be dealt with, and if they are dumb names it is in fact a fact for the person who feels they are dumb. Like, I think many of these names are stupid, that's a fact of how I feel. Now some may agree, some may not. Many of them you'd really be hard pressed to find good merit to however.
Perhaps, but again, that's all down to personal perspective. I've never struggled with the Primaris names, and most of my gripes with certain new names I can remedy with simply removing the first word (Sloppity Bilepiper, for instance).
My point wasn't that all names were good, but that having seemingly "unique" names (like Seraphon) isn't a new thing - Skaven not being simply called Ratmen, for example, or Kasrkin not just being called Storm Troopers (which seems to be functionally what they were, at least in my experience) or my later mention of the vast range of AM super-heavies - I'm sure many of the unfamiliar names will settle, with enough time passing.


I think its a missing the forest for the trees thing. I think many of these names are bad, I'd probably rather skaven be Rat men just because it does make it more simple and easy to understand and many still don't know what the different super heavy tank names are for the Baneblade. I often joke about how they sound stupid.
If you do complain about the superheavy naming convention, then I appreciate your honesty and consistency. However, I'm not exactly seeing reams of threads complaining about how Skaven being called that is just GW making a shameless IP grab, or likewise with the AM SHVs - mostly because, as I suspect, time has rounded out the edges. Given enough time, I'm sure Seraphon will be common parlance like how Skaven is, and how 40k Orks changed from being Space Orcs to what they are now.

It's just the level of which these silly sounding named groups pop up now. One, two, a dozen silly names is one thing, hundreds and hundreds and growing of them you start to go " Ok, can we calm down now with this. " It's the saturation that people eventually get disgusted by a dumb name here or there I'd think is expected but even the most jaded among us. Though some like, Murderfang, I will never stop saying is awful.
Oh, I've got no love lost for a lot of the Space Wolves stuff, but I'm not really phased by a lot of the new stuff - again, I think it's, as you say, a saturation thing - like butter on your toast, you want to let it melt in a bit before you eat it, not just cold off the top.

Eventually, I'm sure the now-strange names will be more normal. We're just going through a patch now where a lot of new stuff is being added all in one go, so there's understandably a lot to take in.


Fair enough and in a number of years perhaps we will get used to the names, humans do adapt rather well. That said, it's not this day and not this year and by the time I do neither of us may be playing the game still, who knows ? Until then however, some people are consistent in dislike of the silly and/or confusing names. As most aren't even saying some of these aren't kind of naff names just that they aren't bothered enough to say they suck.

Honestly, unless someone is saying the names rock there really isn't a discussion to be had on the post. I will agree though we'll get used to it, but people can get used to lots of awful things. The fact that we have to get used to it does kind of hint to them being bad though. Generally speaking you don't need to learn to tolerate amazing things.
   
Made in gb
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets





Cardiff

BrianDavion wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
re the Tyranid names, given the names are simply the IoMs reporting names for types of organisms some having names that make sense, and others beig idiotic and dervitive actually makes sense.

you've got some Tyranids specificly idnetified by AdMech biologists named via a naming pattern.

then you have new tyranid bioforms named by the first guard officer to describe them. well it turns out that guard officer wasn't very original


Fine. So then, why is "Drukhari" being the eldar name for..themselves, not a thing that is good or makes sense?


I never said it didn't make sense personally. makes perfect sense to me that both names would exist and the two words are used interchangably. in fact a smart writer can even use this, an inqusitor of the ordo xenos refers to them as drukhari, a IG general calls them dark eldar. the random guardsman just calls them eldar and doesn't even realize there are differant types


Dan Abnett does just this in Brothers of the Snake. The Drukhari are called ‘primuls’ by the local humans at the start of the book. Dark Eldar by the Marines later (this was written pre-renaming the faction).

 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




the_scotsman wrote:
Karol wrote:
Why would you as a human, use the name some xeno use to describe themselvs? That would be like puting them on the same level as humans as far as validity of existance goes, which happens to be heretical.


Because the whole "this is how the humans describe the things" shtick only makes sense for stuff like Tyranids, who probably call their various monsters SHRAAAAARKGHLKHGLKEARRRGS and SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPs and not really for races like Eldar, who probably would prefer to use their own names for stuff thank you very much.


I don't care how they would be called, they are non humans, which means they are the enemy. And anyone who thinks it is a good idea to side with the other group falls in to the same camp. We don't need different names for enemy. Enemy is a good enough word already.
   
Made in at
Privateer




Austria

Niiru wrote:

If this is true (and i'm not saying it isn't, I'm not a lawyer), then all of the DMCA notices that GW have been handing out would be worthless and nobody would be listening to them.

Except that instead, all of the 'compatible with Astra Militarium®' models get taken down immediately.

So... either you're wrong, or all the other lawyers for companies out there also don't know copyright law.

It is true, but those "companies" are usually 1-2 man doing stuff at home and sell it online. They have no lawyer and not the money to get one and send a letter back.

This is why GW got in the situation in the first place, the were sending out copyright claims like spam mails.
until they got into people who had enough money to get a lawyer in and GW got into troubles

not only with 3rd party compatible bits sellers, but also claiming that the have the world wide ownership of the term "Space Marine".

The only thing GW learned from it was to be more careful who they kindly ask to put their stuff down and will never again start something against a company that has enough money to get to court

PS: and going from Orks to Oruks was to play it save and not receive a copyright claim on their own from the LotR owners

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/15 09:26:23


Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle






 kodos wrote:

PS: and going from Orks to Oruks was to play it save and not receive a copyright claim on their own from the LotR owners


See I keep seeing this mentioned but this is false. GW still has ORCS in Blood Bowl. They consistently make reference to Orcs in White Dwarf when referring to their AoS cousins.

As I said, which GW have hinted at too in WD, is both Orruks and Ogors (fluffwise) are so-named as their names are bastardised versions of their OG names. The races tend to have oral history rather than written. so their names would be passed down and the spellings mutated over time; just like in our own languages.

I'm not a fan of Orruk or Ogor as I think they hit the ear wrong, but seeing as GW consistently references their original names (and I bet they will be called their OG names in the WHFB reboot too) then everyone's assumptions of "they did it for copyright" is not correct.



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Honestly I can’t ever remember the new names. For some reason the older names just stuck. Even when I’m reading the books they’ll through out the new names and I will stop and be like “what” and have to mentally work out who they’re talking about. It’s just how my brain works.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut







 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
How about the bevy of AM superheavies? (Banehammer, Stormblade, Bladehammer, Banesword - I don't even know how many of them are real! )

I'm pretty sure the Ad Mech had a matrix when naming that series of IG SHTs.

On one axis, you get:
Doom-
Storm-
Hell-
Shadow-
Bane-

On the other, you get:
-hammer
-sword
-lord
-blade

In plastic, we've seen the following options - Baneblade, Banesword, Banehammer, Hellhammer, Doomhammer, Shadowsword, Stormsword, and Stormlord. I think Epic used to have the Stormhammer as well, with two twin battlecannon turrets, but that could be my memory misleading me.

Oddly, I seem to recall the Banelord being a Chaos Titan, rather than an IG SHT.

2019 Plog - Dysartes Twitches - 2019 Output

My Twitch stream - going live at 7pm GMT Tuesday & Thursday, 12pm Sunday (work permitting).

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.
 
   
Made in us
The Last Chancer Who Survived




On moon miranda.

SirGrotzalot wrote:
Honestly I can’t ever remember the new names. For some reason the older names just stuck. Even when I’m reading the books they’ll through out the new names and I will stop and be like “what” and have to mentally work out who they’re talking about. It’s just how my brain works.
Aye, it doesn't help that a lot of the new names also just really don't fit the rest of the game universe's feel in a lot of ways.

XKCD illustrates my thoughts on the issue pretty well. This is basically how most GW fiction and naming comes off to me for the last few editions.


IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

Heavy Gear Painting Log, Northern Guard, Southern Republican Army, and Terrain
The correct pronunciation is Imperial Guard and Stormtroopers, "Astra Militarum" and "Tempestus Scions" are something you'll find at Hogwarts.  
   
Made in gb
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus




United Kingdom

 Dysartes wrote:
 Sgt_Smudge wrote:
How about the bevy of AM superheavies? (Banehammer, Stormblade, Bladehammer, Banesword - I don't even know how many of them are real! )

I'm pretty sure the Ad Mech had a matrix when naming that series of IG SHTs.


Yes - 1D4Chan has a quick reference -

Spoiler:


The plastic kit builds 8, and the others are FW -

Spoiler:



Automatically Appended Next Post:
There used to be more generic naming patterns - Executioner versions had a plasma main armament, Annihilator was twin-lascannon, etc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/15 22:39:49


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I find its fun to play the game of guess the baneblade variant with people, as most guard players, especially new ones can't do it. Utterly confusing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/16 01:03:45


 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

Gw can't even allow the same rule to have the same name in different armies. "Bolter discipline " "malicious volleys", same thing. "Shock assault" "hateful assault". Same. Fething. Thing.

I miss usr's.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




The hateful assault is just so it sounds meaner. My shock assaults are actually pretty friendly, kind even.
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

AngryAngel80 wrote:
The hateful assault is just so it sounds meaner. My shock assaults are actually pretty friendly, kind even.

So you play Salamanders?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




OF course, I like to call it Sensual Assault, the extra attack is actually a very firm back rub, really get them kinks out.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: