Switch Theme:

All of these re-branding needs to stop.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Users won't always preface their searches with brand.

e.g. Customers search for "tires near me" far more than "michelin tires near me"

   
Made in gb
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets





Cardiff

Protesting against faction renaming is, ultimately, futile. It’ll continue regardless of anyone’s wishes, preferences, skill or lack of internet search-fu, or any other concocted reasons.

But the OP’s off the mark on some bits.

Craftworlds is still used. On the cover of the Codex, for one.

Tyranids is still used. Calling Genestealer Cult the same thing as Tyranids is wrong, and in this case the more expansive “Forces...” tag works quite well. It’s not a GW-mandated thing as far as I’m aware, and as others have noted. It’s text they use inside the Codexes that some tourney runners have borrowed to better describe “Tyranid soup” (or allies to use the pre-8th term). It fits pretty well tbh and is more descriptive than “Tyranids”, suggesting as that does an army drawn purely from Codex: Tyranids.

Drukhari is probably actually a better term than “Dark Eldar”, which was never particularly clever or imaginative.

T’au is just silly. That one I’ll give ya.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/12 00:01:05


 Stormonu wrote:
For me, the joy is in putting some good-looking models on the board and playing out a fantasy battle - not arguing over the poorly-made rules of some 3rd party who neither has any power over my play nor will be visiting me (and my opponent) to ensure we are "playing by the rules"
 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Ghaz wrote:
Karol wrote:
Only problem I have with some of the names is adding unneeded vowels. Going from elf to aelf is just silly.

You mean going back to, since ælf is the Old English word that elf is based on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf#Etymology

I am not following you here. isn't old english just germanic dialect?
   
Made in au
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard






Karol wrote:
 Ghaz wrote:
Karol wrote:
Only problem I have with some of the names is adding unneeded vowels. Going from elf to aelf is just silly.

You mean going back to, since ælf is the Old English word that elf is based on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf#Etymology

I am not following you here. isn't old english just germanic dialect?


It's a crossbreed.
Germanic and Latin.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Reading these names aloud just made me laugh so hard. I Think it's a secret plot to make you sound like a crazy person when you talk of the game in mixed company. Maybe like our own version of secret language.

I think they are dumb, no matter how it is justified. I get they want to trademark it but if people are going to third party, they're going to third party regardless of what crazy names they give them.

Can we all agree that the Dankhold Trogorths must have some killer grass on hand ? I mean, it's in the name.

" Hey man, like, you got some of the good stuff Dankhold ?...yeah, far out man..lets just find a moldy stump and get our Torgorthes off..right on. "
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

 Ghaz wrote:
Karol wrote:
Only problem I have with some of the names is adding unneeded vowels. Going from elf to aelf is just silly.

You mean going back to, since ælf is the Old English word that elf is based on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf#Etymology


If this is accurate, then it's doubly stupid of GWS to go with it. It sounds dumb, and as a generic word, is just as unprotectable as where they started.
   
Made in gb
Savage Khorne Berserker Biker




Southampton, UK

AngryAngel80 wrote:
Reading these names aloud just made me laugh so hard. I Think it's a secret plot to make you sound like a crazy person when you talk of the game in mixed company.


"Well, hello ladies. Wanna see my sloppity bilepiper?"
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




The main takeway from this thread is that a lot of people think very poorly of potential gamers' intelligence. Poor drooling babes will be confused by made up names, as opposed to other made up names.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Cronch wrote:
The main takeway from this thread is that a lot of people think very poorly of potential gamers' intelligence. Poor drooling babes will be confused by made up names, as opposed to other made up names.


I'm sorry to hurt them so, to think a name such as Dankhold Torgred or Sloppity Bilepiper is stupid, how dare I.

Though to be fair to your comment, I never said they couldn't get it, I said it sounds stupid. Though to add further it sounds more strange than it has to.

Is talking of a swamp troll any cooler than a danrkhold Trogladon, not really. However does talking about my amazing sloppity bilepiper make me feel like a dip more ? Yes, yes it does.

As fun as tossing a bunch of things together to make names that make me giggle is, at some point you gotta be like. Nah, that's fine I'll stick with the old one.

I mean if people think these new names are amazing, more power to them, I don't see how but I've found some people generally like everything regardless of how off the wall gobsmacking I find it.

As an idea, something I like to do, is keep remaking the name every time I say it, get it more and more out there. Like the sloppity bilepiper , why not change it up to slippery bellylicker, slobbery bagriddler, slappity slurplibber.

Why stop at the dumb GW names, make up your own ! Take conversion to the next level ! Never let your beloved Dankfiend Trogshanks go a day without a fresh new name. Forge the narrative.
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






I don't see why it couldn't have just been called "Bilepiper" that has a nice ring to it. The "Slopity" is just indulgent.

"Forces of the Hive Mind" makes sense to me though, I don't have a problem with it.

Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in gb
Savage Khorne Berserker Biker




Southampton, UK

Cronch wrote:
The main takeway from this thread is that a lot of people think very poorly of potential gamers' intelligence. Poor drooling babes will be confused by made up names, as opposed to other made up names.


No, the problem is that the made up names sound like Joey from Friends hitting the thesaurus for his letter to the adoption agency.
   
Made in ie
Preacher of the Emperor





Cronch wrote:
The main takeway from this thread is that a lot of people think very poorly of potential gamers' intelligence. Poor drooling babes will be confused by made up names, as opposed to other made up names.


If it suits their argument people will claim that their fictional people are barely functional humans who have no ability to act with independent thought, problem solving abilities or agency.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Woah, I just got knocked off my feet by the rush of air as the hyperbole train just took off from the station ! Did anyone say people couldn't figure things out or call fictional gamers barely functional ?

I mean I get hyperbole sells views but come on now. If people are going to say these names aren't over the top that isn't a hill I'd want to die on but I do love a good last stand.

I guess some people also love the classics like Bloodfists, Bloodstrike Missiles, Murderfang, etc, etc. I mean these were the Genesis of our current classics like every marine unit being a essor or some kind of another, Dankcrab Trigladees, Flibbery Bellyslappers. It wasn't an instant arrival but now that its on us, people can think it sucks.

No one has to use them or love them but lets not jump to conclusions I'd like to believe all of the game world is smart enough to know what the strange names mean, doesn't mean they'll like it when they do.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/12 10:43:42


 
   
Made in au
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard






Accidentally double posted.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/12 10:52:00


I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go. 
   
Made in gb
Blood-Raging Khorne Berserker




Damn I never realised I wanted to buy a flibbery bellyslapper until now, I 100% love that and want a model for it.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Last Remaining Whole C'Tan






Pleasant Valley, Iowa

 NinthMusketeer wrote:
"Forces of the Hive Mind" makes sense to me though, I don't have a problem with it.


The way they are using it, I totally agree. From this thread I thought they had totally renamed the Tyranid faction, which turned out to not be accurate at all.
   
Made in us
Lesser Daemon of Chaos





How dare you all make fun of Mr. Bilepiper's given name!
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Crispy78 wrote:
Cronch wrote:
The main takeway from this thread is that a lot of people think very poorly of potential gamers' intelligence. Poor drooling babes will be confused by made up names, as opposed to other made up names.


No, the problem is that the made up names sound like Joey from Friends hitting the thesaurus for his letter to the adoption agency.

It still wasn't explained how it's a problem beyond "me no like". Maybe I have a different perspective than some, as english is my 2nd language, but all the names, new or old, sound utterly silly. Space Wolf Blood Claw is not more dignified than a Dankhold Troggoth, and it's in no way more descriptive- it's not a wolf in a spacesuit (which would make 40k much better) with bloody claws, it's an underage kid on steroids with a chainsaw.
YOU know what it is because you're a long-time player. To a new person, a Land Raider is just as much random noise as a Repulsor.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/12 12:48:29


 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





 Sim-Life wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
The other game I play is infinity. If only Games Workshop would adopt the un-confusing naming conventions present in this game.

My faction has access to the following units:

Corregidor Jaguars
TOMCATS
WILDCATS
HELLCATS
Tunguska Interventors
Bakunin Moderators
Mobile Brigada
REAKTON Zonds
STEMPLER Zonds
SALYUT Zonds
Bakunin Uberfallkommando

Luckily, my friend plays a different faction, with even easier to remember, shorter, and more intuitive names like

Kuang Shi
Zhanshi
Zhanying
Daoying
Daofei
Hac Tao
Hsien
Hulang



Literally no one ever said Infinity was simple. You're deliberately being obtuse about it.

Okay then riddle me this. Which name tells you most about what the model is in terms of theme
a) stone troll
b) dankhold troggoth

Not that I expect you to answer honestly of course.


Well, I can actually test this one, having never seen the model in question.

Stone troll: Sounds like a rockman. Since troll usually means a guy is going to be deformed/ugly, I'm expecting a big nose or big "pete from mickey mouse" lips and jowels with bulldog teeth, and he's going to be made of rocks or at least have like big stones/crystals growing out of him. short legs, long arms, pot belly, weapon is either a club or just like a boulder.

Dankhold Troggoth: Dankhold sounds like an underground cave kingdom, and trog makes me think of troglodyte. the suffix "oth" usually means a thing is big, strong, brutish like a mammoth. So from this description he sounds like he's going to be a flesh thing instead of a guy made of rocks, his general theme is going to be "underground" and maybe he'll have like no eyes?

Now, let me google him.

So, I guess to answer your question, both names gave me an anticipation of one aspect of him. From Stone Troll I was able to predict his basic shape - big nose, pot belly, long arms, and a simple club weapon. But I was also kind of expecting him to be made of rocks at least partially, and I'd be more likely to expect him to have a "mountain" theme than a "mushroom" theme.

The only misconception I got out of Troggoth was the idea that he might have no eyes like a troglodyte, but he's got small eyes instead. Still got that he'd be a giant brute type dude, got that he'd be cave themed, and But it did hit his "cave theme" down a lot better. If you wanted a simple, generic name to describe this dude "Cave Troll" would probably be the best one. But from a branding perspective I totally understand why you'd go for the different name because you've got a lot of people who already envision what a cave troll looks like from LOTR/Harry Potter, and in the gaming space you've got Hordes with trolls as a main posterboy faction.

I'll definitely give you one thing: I'd never describe this dude as a Dankhold Troggoth in a game. I'd immediately shorten it to Trog or something. So ease of use for players is one serious advantage just calling it a "Troll" would have. But I would say it's a better name for getting people unfamiliar with the game interested.

On the flipside, though: Absolutely no unit in Infinity has any kind of intuitive understanding inherent in their name, even their full name. My starter box came with "Wildcats: Polyvalent Tactical Unit". What the feth is a polyvalent? Their role is...tactical unit? Are they gonna be cat themed somehow? (Spoiler alert: Not at all.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/12 12:52:59


 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




Not having context on first viewing of a words use does not make for a bad name.

To take similar things, for me a troll is a small mean creature, so stone trolls I would expect to be maybe a dwarf sized creature.
The dankhold trogoth I have very little context for outside of other fantasy which are conflicting. So underground water creature of some kind.
Both of which in context of there world I think could be fine.

I know nothing about the dankhold trogoth, do they come from a dankhold kingdom or some such.

Spinning over to infinity, I think of lots of weapons a military tech that will have a technical name and a sorta Cool name for what ever reason. So within infinity context the names could be really good, or bad.
I think this is why people are more upset here with GW, so many come off more as the advertising team coming up with its heaps uniqueness than any real thought to its place in the worlds and context.

The reason the warmachine list was so flat is it looks like just pulling random things out to make fun off. Without really understanding it.
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






Cronch wrote:
Crispy78 wrote:
Cronch wrote:
The main takeway from this thread is that a lot of people think very poorly of potential gamers' intelligence. Poor drooling babes will be confused by made up names, as opposed to other made up names.


No, the problem is that the made up names sound like Joey from Friends hitting the thesaurus for his letter to the adoption agency.

It still wasn't explained how it's a problem beyond "me no like". Maybe I have a different perspective than some, as english is my 2nd language, but all the names, new or old, sound utterly silly. Space Wolf Blood Claw is not more dignified than a Dankhold Troggoth, and it's in no way more descriptive- it's not a wolf in a spacesuit (which would make 40k much better) with bloody claws, it's an underage kid on steroids with a chainsaw.
YOU know what it is because you're a long-time player. To a new person, a Land Raider is just as much random noise as a Repulsor.
I think you have a very wise point here, in that often the difference between silly names people dislike verses silly names people are OK with is simply how long that name has been around.

Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Apple fox wrote:
Not having context on first viewing of a words use does not make for a bad name.

To take similar things, for me a troll is a small mean creature, so stone trolls I would expect to be maybe a dwarf sized creature.
The dankhold trogoth I have very little context for outside of other fantasy which are conflicting. So underground water creature of some kind.
Both of which in context of there world I think could be fine.

I know nothing about the dankhold trogoth, do they come from a dankhold kingdom or some such.

Spinning over to infinity, I think of lots of weapons a military tech that will have a technical name and a sorta Cool name for what ever reason. So within infinity context the names could be really good, or bad.
I think this is why people are more upset here with GW, so many come off more as the advertising team coming up with its heaps uniqueness than any real thought to its place in the worlds and context.

The reason the warmachine list was so flat is it looks like just pulling random things out to make fun off. Without really understanding it.


Sure, I mean from a legal standpoint that is absolutely what they are doing: Making sure their product is unique. And that's absolutely what they're going for with Infinity, too - going hard on the idea that these are names that the relevant military uses to describe things, in their own language. And they do have meanings, like the chinese words all mean things that are relevant in chinese - a hsien I remember from one of our games is the word for one of those stone soldiers that they have hundreds of in the ancient emperor's tomb. That's cool. Infinity's company is also not designing the game for primarily an english speaking audience, so if they were they'd probably call them "Hsien Terracotta Soldiers" or something.

But to say that the name "Dankhold Troggoth" is undescriptive while "Stone Troll" is descriptive is just...kind of wrong. Like you said, "Troll" is a word with tons of different cultural connotations to it, and depending on what you're used to you could either be expecting a mischeivious ugly little santa claus elf or a big hulking Lord of the Rings brute.

And "stone" to me, usually means a fantasy creature that is either made of rocks or has some affinity with rocks. The model in question doesn't seem to have any kind of elemental rocky-ness except for the fact that he is holding a club with a rock in it. If he didn't have the mushrooms I'd guess he was some kind of sea-troll with the little barnacle things he's got on him honestly.

Meanwhile the word "Troggoth" while it is "a made up word" (like all words are...) has two specific parts with connotations I can figure out. Trog almost always means something that lives underground and oth is a suffix that usually gives you an idea of either a big hulking powerful creature or some kind of barbarian like a Visigoth. Dankhold being some kind of cave kingdom or stronghold makes immediate intuitive sense.

So it's some kind of hulking troglodyte creature that lives in a cave kingdom.

Yep, checks out!
   
Made in ie
Preacher of the Emperor





This thread reminds me of the "mfw when americans call..." copypasta. I'll hide it behind spoilers.

Spoiler:

>my face when americans call chips "french fries"
>my face when americans call crisps "chips"
>my face when americans call chocolate globbernaughts "candy bars"
>my face when americans call motorized rollinghams "cars"
>my face when americans call merry fizzlebombs "fireworks"
>my face when americans call wunderbahboxes a "PC"
>my face when americans call meat water "gravy"
>my face when americans call electro-rope "power cables"
>my face when americans call beef wellington ensemble with lettuce a "burger"
>my face when americans call whimsy flimsy mark and scribblers "pens"
>my face when americans call twisting plankhandles "doorknobs"
>my face when americans call breaddystack a "sandwich"
>my face when americans call their hoighty toighty tippy typers "keyboards"
>my face when americans call nutty-gum and fruit spleggings "peanut butter and jelly"
>my face when americans call an upsy stairsy the "escalator"
>my face when americans call a knittedy wittedy sheepity sleepity a "sweater"
>my face when americans call a rickedy-pop a "gear shift"
>my face when americans call a choco chip bucky wicky as a "cookie"
>my face when americans call a pip pip gollywock a "screwdriver"
>my face when americans call a rooty tooty point-n-shooty a "gun"
>my face when americans call ceiling-bright a "Lightbulb"
>my face when americans call blimpy bounce bounce a "ball"
>my face when americans call a slippery dippery long mover a "snake"
>my face when americans call cobble-stone-clippity-clops "roads"

 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




the_scotsman wrote:
Apple fox wrote:
Not having context on first viewing of a words use does not make for a bad name.

To take similar things, for me a troll is a small mean creature, so stone trolls I would expect to be maybe a dwarf sized creature.
The dankhold trogoth I have very little context for outside of other fantasy which are conflicting. So underground water creature of some kind.
Both of which in context of there world I think could be fine.

I know nothing about the dankhold trogoth, do they come from a dankhold kingdom or some such.

Spinning over to infinity, I think of lots of weapons a military tech that will have a technical name and a sorta Cool name for what ever reason. So within infinity context the names could be really good, or bad.
I think this is why people are more upset here with GW, so many come off more as the advertising team coming up with its heaps uniqueness than any real thought to its place in the worlds and context.

The reason the warmachine list was so flat is it looks like just pulling random things out to make fun off. Without really understanding it.


Sure, I mean from a legal standpoint that is absolutely what they are doing: Making sure their product is unique. And that's absolutely what they're going for with Infinity, too - going hard on the idea that these are names that the relevant military uses to describe things, in their own language. And they do have meanings, like the chinese words all mean things that are relevant in chinese - a hsien I remember from one of our games is the word for one of those stone soldiers that they have hundreds of in the ancient emperor's tomb. That's cool. Infinity's company is also not designing the game for primarily an english speaking audience, so if they were they'd probably call them "Hsien Terracotta Soldiers" or something.

But to say that the name "Dankhold Troggoth" is undescriptive while "Stone Troll" is descriptive is just...kind of wrong. Like you said, "Troll" is a word with tons of different cultural connotations to it, and depending on what you're used to you could either be expecting a mischeivious ugly little santa claus elf or a big hulking Lord of the Rings brute.

And "stone" to me, usually means a fantasy creature that is either made of rocks or has some affinity with rocks. The model in question doesn't seem to have any kind of elemental rocky-ness except for the fact that he is holding a club with a rock in it. If he didn't have the mushrooms I'd guess he was some kind of sea-troll with the little barnacle things he's got on him honestly.

Meanwhile the word "Troggoth" while it is "a made up word" (like all words are...) has two specific parts with connotations I can figure out. Trog almost always means something that lives underground and oth is a suffix that usually gives you an idea of either a big hulking powerful creature or some kind of barbarian like a Visigoth. Dankhold being some kind of cave kingdom or stronghold makes immediate intuitive sense.

So it's some kind of hulking troglodyte creature that lives in a cave kingdom.

Yep, checks out!


I do not think trogoth was non descriptive, unless you are referring to what Sim-life said before.

Trog I associate with water, and oth means nothing to me. I cannot even think of any other words other than mammoth and do not know the word well enough. So dankhold trog is more watery with the dank part. Otherwise trog are stone like beings.

Trolls often work with rocks, so stone troll.
I also said that I think both in there context they are both probably fine. And not really what a lot of people thinking off when this subject come up, but can still be annoying with everything else.

The wolf bits in space wolves being done to death I think is prime annoying to listen about :p

But from a legal standpoint, it’s only slightly better than the stone troll. Dankhold is unremarkable and troggoth is just the extra G and Oth added to Trog used in other places. Hardly great on its own. Probably the word Warhammer added to both. You may even get away With a Dankhold Trog model, but probably safe on the Dank Trog and refer to Warcraft for inspiration.

We are probably not in disagreement on this two examples really.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/12 16:38:05


 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Back in fifth edition when I played space wolves I created my HQ model specifically to have the most wolf possible on one model.

He was Wulfrick Wolfington, wolf lord of the wolf on a wolf with wolf claws wearing a wolftooth necklace, wulfenstone accompanied by wolves.
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




the_scotsman wrote:
Back in fifth edition when I played space wolves I created my HQ model specifically to have the most wolf possible on one model.

He was Wulfrick Wolfington, wolf lord of the wolf on a wolf with wolf claws wearing a wolftooth necklace, wulfenstone accompanied by wolves.


Its funny when players do it, not as much when it’s a professional team trying to sell me a world where they intend me to take them serious.
But even jokes wear thin. But that is not really so much about this thread topic
   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

the_scotsman wrote:
 Sim-Life wrote:
the_scotsman wrote:
The other game I play is infinity. If only Games Workshop would adopt the un-confusing naming conventions present in this game.

My faction has access to the following units:

Corregidor Jaguars
TOMCATS
WILDCATS
HELLCATS
Tunguska Interventors
Bakunin Moderators
Mobile Brigada
REAKTON Zonds
STEMPLER Zonds
SALYUT Zonds
Bakunin Uberfallkommando

Luckily, my friend plays a different faction, with even easier to remember, shorter, and more intuitive names like

Kuang Shi
Zhanshi
Zhanying
Daoying
Daofei
Hac Tao
Hsien
Hulang



Literally no one ever said Infinity was simple. You're deliberately being obtuse about it.

Okay then riddle me this. Which name tells you most about what the model is in terms of theme
a) stone troll
b) dankhold troggoth

Not that I expect you to answer honestly of course.


Well, I can actually test this one, having never seen the model in question.

Stone troll: Sounds like a rockman. Since troll usually means a guy is going to be deformed/ugly, I'm expecting a big nose or big "pete from mickey mouse" lips and jowels with bulldog teeth, and he's going to be made of rocks or at least have like big stones/crystals growing out of him. short legs, long arms, pot belly, weapon is either a club or just like a boulder.

Dankhold Troggoth: Dankhold sounds like an underground cave kingdom, and trog makes me think of troglodyte. the suffix "oth" usually means a thing is big, strong, brutish like a mammoth. So from this description he sounds like he's going to be a flesh thing instead of a guy made of rocks, his general theme is going to be "underground" and maybe he'll have like no eyes?

Now, let me google him.

So, I guess to answer your question, both names gave me an anticipation of one aspect of him. From Stone Troll I was able to predict his basic shape - big nose, pot belly, long arms, and a simple club weapon. But I was also kind of expecting him to be made of rocks at least partially, and I'd be more likely to expect him to have a "mountain" theme than a "mushroom" theme.

The only misconception I got out of Troggoth was the idea that he might have no eyes like a troglodyte, but he's got small eyes instead. Still got that he'd be a giant brute type dude, got that he'd be cave themed, and But it did hit his "cave theme" down a lot better. If you wanted a simple, generic name to describe this dude "Cave Troll" would probably be the best one. But from a branding perspective I totally understand why you'd go for the different name because you've got a lot of people who already envision what a cave troll looks like from LOTR/Harry Potter, and in the gaming space you've got Hordes with trolls as a main posterboy faction.

I'll definitely give you one thing: I'd never describe this dude as a Dankhold Troggoth in a game. I'd immediately shorten it to Trog or something. So ease of use for players is one serious advantage just calling it a "Troll" would have. But I would say it's a better name for getting people unfamiliar with the game interested.

On the flipside, though: Absolutely no unit in Infinity has any kind of intuitive understanding inherent in their name, even their full name. My starter box came with "Wildcats: Polyvalent Tactical Unit". What the feth is a polyvalent? Their role is...tactical unit? Are they gonna be cat themed somehow? (Spoiler alert: Not at all.)


Polyvalent means it has different functions. Wildcats is just a call sign, I would hazard.

What I have
~4100
~1660
: LM

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





 CthuluIsSpy wrote:

Polyvalent means it has different functions. Wildcats is just a call sign, I would hazard.


Yea, but it is a really smarmy and unconventional way to state that. Like, look at my awesome thesaurus!

But ultimately I don't care (about Infinity or GW names or any of them), because I'm playing a game. People that get bent out of shape over names...just...I dunno. Worry about more important things?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/02/12 17:03:36


   
Made in fr
Trazyn's Museum Curator





on the forum. Obviously

 Daedalus81 wrote:
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:

Polyvalent means it has different functions. Wildcats is just a call sign, I would hazard.


Yea, but it is a really smarmy and unconventional way to state that. Like, look at my awesome thesaurus!

But ultimately I don't care (about Infinity or GW names or any of them), because I'm playing a game. People that get bent out of shape over names...just...I dunno. Worry about more important things?



As opposed to "look at the copyright friendly nonsense words I cobbled together from the butchered remains of words from a thesaurus?"
They both aren't great, but at least one doesn't make whoever is using those terms look like a loon. Its actually one of the reasons I can't get into AoS, because getting into AoS would mean using those names, and for some reason I get really embarrassed when using them seriously.

Then again, repeating the word wolf a bunch of times isn't really inspiring either, so I guess GW is just really bad at naming things.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
the_scotsman wrote:
Back in fifth edition when I played space wolves I created my HQ model specifically to have the most wolf possible on one model.

He was Wulfrick Wolfington, wolf lord of the wolf on a wolf with wolf claws wearing a wolftooth necklace, wulfenstone accompanied by wolves.


I hope you fielded him with thunderwolves, wolf guard, wolf scouts and wulfen, just to complete the ensemble


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 JohnnyHell wrote:

Drukhari is probably actually a better term than “Dark Eldar”, which was never particularly clever or imaginative.



I fail to see how naming an entire faction after a 61 year old American actor and comedian is better.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 2020/02/12 17:17:48


What I have
~4100
~1660
: LM

Westwood lives in death!
Peace through power!

A longbeard when it comes to Necrons and WHFB. Grumble Grumble

 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





 CthuluIsSpy wrote:


As opposed to "look at the copyright friendly nonsense words I cobbled together from the butchered remains of words from a thesaurus?"
They both aren't great, but at least one doesn't make whoever is using those terms look like a loon. Its actually one of the reasons I can't get into AoS, because getting into AoS would mean using those names, and for some reason I get really embarrassed when using them seriously.

Then again, repeating the word wolf a bunch of times isn't really inspiring either, so I guess GW is just really bad at naming things.


Yea, i'm not particularly fond of either end of the names thing. It just doesn't matter to me. The troggoth i'll call a troll or a trog or whatever. A slaughterpriest is a priest. A bloodsecrator *shudders* is just a banner.

But really the AoS stuff people hold up is all the early silly Khorne stuff. I don't particularly have issue with "Mortek Shield-Corps" or "Kavalos Deathriders" or "Mortisan Boneshaper" all of which get referenced by their "surname".

   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: