Switch Theme:

BattleTech: Clan invasion Kickstarter live.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Dakka Veteran




I’m curious, do you check the bibliography of all authors of all wargaming products before you purchase them to see if you agree with their fictional writing?
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




No, but when they are obviously glaring, it's hard not to take notice. See one mr. J. Ringo as an example.
   
Made in us
Is 'Eavy Metal Calling?





Affton, MO. USA

MaxT wrote:
I’m curious, do you check the bibliography of all authors of all wargaming products before you purchase them to see if you agree with their fictional writing?


He doesn’t have too. He could just listen for the ones who make him unhappy, or who get attention for their opposing views. If I were to purchase something and then find out it was made by or the proceeds go to funding XYZ, which I might have an issue with, then I can choose not to invest further into it. I might even try returning whatever it was and let others know about it before they support it.

I think my big issue with this is the lengths the individual went too, which were way beyond acceptable and by the articles wording, criminal.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

Pretty much what was said above. I didn't go out of my way to learn who Blaine Lee Pardoe was and what his politics are, but when people in various threads and discussions online keep bringing up the name you get curious about it and you do tend to look the person up so you can at least get a sense of whats being discussed. In Blaines case it became immediately obvious what his beliefs and attitudes are because hes rather quite vocal about it.

It would be a bit like being in the 40k community and hearing names like Jervis Johnson, Andy Chambers, Gav Thrope, Rick Priestly, Alessio Cavatore, Matt Ward, Robbin Cruddance, Phil Kelly, etc. are. After a while you might get curious enough to google some of those names, and for the most part you won't find very much info about them other than their work histories and a few blogs where they discuss game design or literary philosophies and criticism, etc. In Blaines case the politics are basically front and center.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

Cronch wrote:
No one is "cancelling" anyone. Customers are allowed to select who they want to give their money for. If your displayed values are actively hostile to mine, why would I give you my money?
That's all there is to it. That's the price you pay for putting your personal beliefs in the public realm- those who don't like them won't give you their money and will tell others about it. If they also find your values...of poor quality, they will also not give you money.


People can decide not to buy a product. Here we see exposition as to why, highlighting grievance against the author due to other unrelated products. That isn't just a decision not to buy but a boycott, and if it solicits support it is cancelling. There is a scaling here, different rungs of the ladder.

- Decided not to read War and Peace.
- Decided to personally boycott Tolstoy's works.
- Vocalised grievance against Tolstoy thus influencing others.
- Calling for ban on Tolstoy in state education

n'oublie jamais - It appears I now have to highlight this again.

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

Theres some real gymnastics in there. For one, nobody is soliciting support - you want to buy his products go right on ahead, I won't even bother to try to stop you and I don't think anyone else here will either.

Also, a boycott is any withdrawal of social, financial, or commercial relations with another entity as a form of punishment and/or protest. Boycotts can be initiated and maintained on a personal basis or as part of a group effort. It is not automatically some sort of organized movement that seeks to grow itself, which I feel is what you are trying to imply by using the term.

The suggestion that vocalizing a grievance against an entity that one is boycotting is automatically some sort of higher "rung" or escalation of effort on the "cancellation spectrum" is just laughable. If I was standing on a street corner handing out pamphlets that would be one thing, but saying you're not a fan of something and aren't going to commercially patronize them during the course of conversation is an entirely different manner altogether. Might in influence others? Sure, but thats someone elses problem and not necessarily the reason why the point comes up in the conversation in the first place.

Stop trying to turn this into something that it clearly isn't. If you want to buy the minis, go buy the minis and stop worrying about why I choose not to.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Orlanth wrote:
Cronch wrote:
No one is "cancelling" anyone. Customers are allowed to select who they want to give their money for. If your displayed values are actively hostile to mine, why would I give you my money?
That's all there is to it. That's the price you pay for putting your personal beliefs in the public realm- those who don't like them won't give you their money and will tell others about it. If they also find your values...of poor quality, they will also not give you money.


People can decide not to buy a product. Here we see exposition as to why, highlighting grievance against the author due to other unrelated products. That isn't just a decision not to buy but a boycott, and if it solicits support it is cancelling. There is a scaling here, different rungs of the ladder.

- Decided not to read War and Peace.
- Decided to personally boycott Tolstoy's works.
- Vocalised grievance against Tolstoy thus influencing others.
- Calling for ban on Tolstoy in state education

You forgot step five, Tolstoy must be destroyed.
Step six: And Carthage.
   
Made in ca
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

Fortunately Mr. Pardoe's influence on BattleTech is pretty minimal, particularly where the Catalyst KS is concerned.

   
Made in us
Haughty Harad Serpent Rider





Richmond, VA

I think the mods are asleep to allow this nonsense to keep cluttering this thread.

In actual news, anyone know if the AGAC box set reprint is on the delayed conex containers or is that even further out?

"...and special thanks to Judgedoug!" - Alessio Cavatore "Now you've gone too far Doug! ... Too far... " - Rick Priestley "I've decided that I'd rather not have you as a member of TMP." - Editor, The Miniatures Page "I'd rather put my testicles through a mangle than spend any time gaming with you." - Richard, TooFatLardies "We need a Doug Craig in every store." - Warlord Games "Thank you for being here, Judge Doug!" - Adam Troke 
   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




United Kingdom

 judgedoug wrote:
In actual news, anyone know if the AGAC box set reprint is on the delayed conex containers or is that even further out?
I don't know for sure, but as you could get AGAC as part of the KS I'm guessing there's some on the boat.
   
Made in gb
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

Just a heads up in case any here have a 3D printer and want some terrain. There's a new (second) crowdfunding campaign for the Hexhog terrain.
Note that as the new system requires the former to work properly there's a tier both for all in (everything from both campaigns) and a tier just to get the previous stuff.

Again this is 3D printer stuff not physical models.

https://www.myminifactory.com/crowdfunding/hexhog-tabletop-formidable-fronts-316

A Blog in Miniature

The Swarm Arises

Do you ever notice, sometimes, there's an extra post? 
   
Made in be
Fresh-Faced New User





For those interested in Battletech terrain, it might be worth checking out Hardware Studios as well (both physical product and digital files) :

https://hardwarestudios.co/

   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

https://bg.battletech.com/news/the-gray-death-legion-lives-again-plus-ilclan-sourcebook-release-date/

Also, big news: The ilClan sourcebook will be available from the Catalyst Game Labs store on Friday, August 6, and through retail outlets on Wednesday, August 11.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine





Deep in the Woods

 Ghaz wrote:
https://bg.battletech.com/news/the-gray-death-legion-lives-again-plus-ilclan-sourcebook-release-date/

[/b].


I am so glad Catalyst didn't spoil the story or anything.

"I have traveled trough the Realm of Death and brought back novelty pencils"
 GamesWorkshop wrote:
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere and somewhere hearts are light,and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;but there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out. 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Nurglitch wrote:
Fortunately Mr. Pardoe's influence on BattleTech is pretty minimal, particularly where the Catalyst KS is concerned.


Pardoe is hardly the only right winger among the battletech writer pool. A lot of them are pretty right wing.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in ca
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

No, but so far as I know he's the only one to have written such an offensively stupid book. I could be wrong.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Still talkin' about this, hey?

Boy I hope the next 2 weeks goes quickly so I can get my Wave 2 stuff.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Nurglitch wrote:
No, but so far as I know he's the only one to have written such an offensively stupid book. I could be wrong.


no but he's the only battletech author absolutely obsessed with the civil war.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




United Kingdom

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Boy I hope the next 2 weeks goes quickly so I can get my Wave 2 stuff.
I hope it's only a couple of weeks - their last update was light on details.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Solahma






RVA

 Ghaz wrote:
Also, big news: The ilClan sourcebook will be available from the Catalyst Game Labs store on Friday, August 6, and through retail outlets on Wednesday, August 11.
Pre-ordered mine through MM. Ever since the Succession War volumes sold out without reprint, I don’t mess around when it comes to ordering BT books.

   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

What is the ilClan book? Is it a TRO?

It never ends well 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Sourcebook. It will contain the full background/history of the IlClan event.

It will have rules though, probably along the lines of:

1. Campaign tracks for BattleTech.
2. Maybe some RPG rules for the main players/people involved in the event.
3. A mini-TRO with new 'Mechs/vehicles/etc.
4. AlphaStrike rules for the above.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in jp
Ship's Officer






The Land of the Rising Sun

beast_gts wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Boy I hope the next 2 weeks goes quickly so I can get my Wave 2 stuff.
I hope it's only a couple of weeks - their last update was light on details.

Rest of the World is listed appatently under someday.

M.

Jenkins: You don't have jurisdiction here!
Smith Jamison: We aren't here, which means when we open up on you and shred your bodies with automatic fire then this will never have happened.

Raxmei wrote:24ps is the range. 24". If that were the points cost then lasguns and plasma guns would cost the same amount and flamers would have a cost of "Souffle".

Every year Golden Week Tournament at www.nagoyahammer.com 
   
Made in ca
Krazed Killa Kan




Monarchy of TBD

Old-Four-Arms wrote:

For those interested in Battletech terrain, it might be worth checking out Hardware Studios as well (both physical product and digital files) :

https://hardwarestudios.co/



You know, I was just looking at getting their Emerald Drake STL for a friend to use to print me a flock of Ion Sparrows. Do you happen to know if their files can be resized easily? Thanks!

Klawz-Ramming is a subset of citrus fruit?
Gwar- "And everyone wants a bigger Spleen!"
Mercurial wrote:
I admire your aplomb and instate you as Baron of the Seas and Lord Marshall of Privateers.
Orkeosaurus wrote:Star Trek also said we'd have X-Wings by now. We all see how that prediction turned out.
Orkeosaurus, on homophobia, the nature of homosexuality, and the greatness of George Takei.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleyways and mugs them for loose grammar.

 
   
Made in be
Fresh-Faced New User




 Gitzbitah wrote:
Old-Four-Arms wrote:

For those interested in Battletech terrain, it might be worth checking out Hardware Studios as well (both physical product and digital files) :

https://hardwarestudios.co/



You know, I was just looking at getting their Emerald Drake STL for a friend to use to print me a flock of Ion Sparrows. Do you happen to know if their files can be resized easily? Thanks!



Hi Gitzbitah,

So far, I've ordered physical products only from Hardware Studios. No idea as to the specifics/attributes of their STL files.

I'd suggest sending Dale an email (I've done so at several occasions and have always received a reply).

btw, he also designed the Hierofalcon and Ion Sparrow IIRC..


Regards,

Old-Four-Arms

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/28 14:01:26


 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

IlClan Tableau of Confidence... uhh... table of contents:



Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran




Multipart Plastic Kits would be a Dream...
   
Made in gb
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




United Kingdom

RazorEdge wrote:
Multipart Plastic Kits would be a Dream...
As mentioned earlier in the thread, a a multi-part Black Knight has been released by Creative Juggernaut, and a Stormcrow is in the works (although it's still not clear if they are plastic).


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
IlClan Tableau of Confidence... uhh... table of contents:
Hell's Horses are mentioned - looks like I need to buy it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/31 19:10:02


 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





beast_gts wrote:
RazorEdge wrote:
Multipart Plastic Kits would be a Dream...
As mentioned earlier in the thread, a a multi-part Black Knight has been released by Creative Juggernaut, and a Stormcrow is in the works (although it's still not clear if they are plastic).


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
IlClan Tableau of Confidence... uhh... table of contents:
Hell's Horses are mentioned - looks like I need to buy it.


fair warning, the hells horses where opposed to Alaric so I expect "bad stuff" to happen to them :(

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

beast_gts wrote:
RazorEdge wrote:
Multipart Plastic Kits would be a Dream...
As mentioned earlier in the thread, a a multi-part Black Knight has been released by Creative Juggernaut, and a Stormcrow is in the works (although it's still not clear if they are plastic).

'Plastic' can cover a number of materials, not just the high impact polystyrene that Games Workshop uses.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: