Switch Theme:

Star Wars Legions News - Clone Wars Expansions p. 37  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Captain





LA

Well the Leia sculpt is truly horrid, but at least at MM she isn't much more than ten bucks.

Honestly these are the worst models revealed so far. The helmets on the fleet troopers don't even look as accurate as the IA fleet trooper. These look more flat and less rounded at the front. Some questionable poses, but Leia has the worst pose. They should have put the Endor poncho and helmet on her, if you can't sculpt a woman well then at least try and disguise it.

 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

I wouldn't be surprised if they can't have her looking too much like Leia

Carrie Fisher dying probably complicated getting hold of her image rights. I suspect Disney not doing any cgi of her in the most recent movie wasn't just out of respect even if that was part of it

 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





It is super weird that neither the article nor the preorder page has closeups of the miniatures for this miniatures game. It really doesn't inspire confidence. I was quite looking forward to this but if this is the quality of the products going forward I will not be buying anything.
   
Made in us
Captain





LA

I believe those are all also resin masters, not plastic. The actual plastics have less detail than people might be hoping for. I certainly never expected GW quality, but considering these are larger than IA models I did expect more realism/less stylized look. The paintjobs aren't doing them any favors, the imperials look good because they are hard to mess up. The faces and cloth shading/colors on the rebels could be better. It's pretty much a given that a good painter can do better than these stock paintjobs, which are about tabletop standard.

 
   
Made in us
Captain





LA

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/29/the-imperial-march-1/

March 22nd release date...wish it was Feb...what a bummer.

 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





Wish they had more aliens for Rebels. That way to show that the Rebellion isn't as humancentric as the Empire. Especially after the poorer showing of alien's in the Resistance in the new movies.
   
Made in us
Captain





LA

 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Wish they had more aliens for Rebels. That way to show that the Rebellion isn't as humancentric as the Empire. Especially after the poorer showing of alien's in the Resistance in the new movies.


I wouldn't mind it if they did a rebel trooper model booster, like a kit of 5 random alien sculpts to sprinke across trooper squads in the army. But that is something they can do down the road. The duplicate sculpts will bother me and that duros one in every squad will get tiresome. But i'm hoping someone out there will do resin 3rd party bits so I can just convert some without having to sculpt myself. I'm working on Endor trees and terrain right now and maybe next month i'll start a hobby log. Since the game isn't out till 40 plus days from now I feel like there isn't a rush, plenty of time to get all the materials and paints that will be needed.

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Madrak Ironhide







Ugh. I can't take Fleet TRoopers seriously.

When they don't remind me of Spaceballs the only other time
I think of them is when Darth Vader is murdering them in a dark corridor.

DR:70+S+G-MB-I+Pwmhd05#+D++A+++/aWD100R++T(S)DM+++
Get your own Dakka Code!

"...he could never understand the sense of a contest in which the two adversaries agreed upon the rules." Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude 
   
Made in ph
PanOceaniac Hacking Specialist Sergeant





I'm probably gonna skip out on this, but my reason is cause i kinda feel I've been playing iterations of the same broad FFG system ever since Battles of Westeros. You got your alternating terrain placement, semi random objectives decided during setup, unit cards with alternating activations, custom faction deck, etc. Everytime theu do a mechanics reveal, i get flashbacks to BoW, Runewars minis, even that 40K pog game. Xwing was a breath of fresh air, but mechanically this feels very samey to me.

Probably still get a core to paint up cause Star Wars but I think I'll skip the game.

DA:70+S--G-M+B++I+Pw40k09++DA+/hWD-R-T(BG)DM+  
   
Made in us
Captain





LA

So it seems numerous unboxings and even gameplay has been put up on youtube in the past 24 hours. With the online rules rumored to be available for download sometime this week.

 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Was SW:Legion just demoed at Gencon last year or was there an initial release as well?

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 warboss wrote:
Was SW:Legion just demoed at Gencon last year or was there an initial release as well?


Demo only. Nothing has been released.
   
Made in nl
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Thargrim wrote:
So it seems numerous unboxings and even gameplay has been put up on youtube in the past 24 hours. With the online rules rumored to be available for download sometime this week.


After five or six attempts, I managed to find an unboxing that spent more than a minute or so vaguely waving the models in front of the camera at arm's length(seriously, almost nobody is watching these to get a detailed look at the fething dice and see a five minute discussion about the fething bases, how do these clowns keep getting sent review copies?), and they actually look fantastic. The plastic is hardened, the level of detail looks great. Some parts look like they'll require a bit of work on the "peg" so they go together seamlessly but I can live with that.

I'm going to have to be careful not to go nuts on this.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Madrak Ironhide







Links?

DR:70+S+G-MB-I+Pwmhd05#+D++A+++/aWD100R++T(S)DM+++
Get your own Dakka Code!

"...he could never understand the sense of a contest in which the two adversaries agreed upon the rules." Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






 LunarSol wrote:
 warboss wrote:
Was SW:Legion just demoed at Gencon last year or was there an initial release as well?


Demo only. Nothing has been released.


Ah, ok, thanks. It's still a larger than normal gap for FFG but not as bad if they didn't prerelease a limited amount early like with Xwing and Armada iirc.

   
Made in us
Captain





LA

 Yodhrin wrote:
 Thargrim wrote:
So it seems numerous unboxings and even gameplay has been put up on youtube in the past 24 hours. With the online rules rumored to be available for download sometime this week.


After five or six attempts, I managed to find an unboxing that spent more than a minute or so vaguely waving the models in front of the camera at arm's length(seriously, almost nobody is watching these to get a detailed look at the fething dice and see a five minute discussion about the fething bases, how do these clowns keep getting sent review copies?), and they actually look fantastic. The plastic is hardened, the level of detail looks great. Some parts look like they'll require a bit of work on the "peg" so they go together seamlessly but I can live with that.

I'm going to have to be careful not to go nuts on this.


Yeah they kinda rush their way through things. It boggles me mind they get the game 35+ days earlier than the rest of us and don't even spend time thoroughly looking through the rules booklet. The plastic looks good enough, there are indeed mold lines though. I'm used to dealing with those anyways so not a huge deal. I'm a bit nervous about the stormtroopers cause i've never used white primer before so this'll be interesting. I've already done so much prep work for this game i'll be bummed if I end up disliking the gameplay...thats the only real concern I have left. And I won't really know until it's on the table and i'm trying it for myself.

 
   
Made in us
Buttons Should Be Brass, Not Gold!





I read this and got excited because it said 'expansions'.

But it looks like by 'expansions' they mean 'additional models'.

And they're pretty hideous. Like, "I left my Mage Knight figures in a hot car for a week" hideous.

Star Wars fanboys will buy this, I'd rather play something with more than two factions in the most ho-hum period of Star Wars.

Every model can fly if you're brave enough. 
   
Made in us
Member of the Malleus






 Adeptus Doritos wrote:
I read this and got excited because it said 'expansions'.

But it looks like by 'expansions' they mean 'additional models'.

And they're pretty hideous. Like, "I left my Mage Knight figures in a hot car for a week" hideous.

Star Wars fanboys will buy this, I'd rather play something with more than two factions in the most ho-hum period of Star Wars.

I can understand the issue with using expansion as the name for additional units. But since these figures include cards and possibly new rules, expansion does fit.

Hideous? Now you are just being disingenuous. The images we've seen so far from unboxing and painting videos shows that these will be every bit as crisp and well detailed as most models out there. Maybe not the absolute highest standard, but really good especially given the material. Now, whether that quality is maintained on a consistent basis or not remains to be seen. Your assertion that they resemble melted figures is completely ridiculous hyperbole.

And the parting shot at "fanboys" drags this very near to troll territory...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/02/13 17:18:46


   
Made in si
Fresh-Faced New User




Leia looks kinda bad imho, others are fine
well except the fleet troopers, but that's not FFG fault, they looked stupid since 1977
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Omadon's Realm

Christ that Leia mini is gross. This is the face that caused sexual awakening in most of my generation of boys? (not me personally, that was possessed Dana Barrett, Princess Aura and evil Lily).

These look like green army men with paint. After the quality I came to envy in X Wing as I was playing Attack Wing, I know FFG can do better than these offerings.



 
   
Made in nl
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General




We'll find out soon enough eh.

I seriously think people must be looking at different models to the ones I'm looking at.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





Or it might be that people disagree on the quality of the minature's. It happens y'know.
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Right, but you can disagree without making personal attacks on people with different opinions to your own.
   
Made in nl
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Or it might be that people disagree on the quality of the minature's. It happens y'know.


No, see, you can disagree on whether you like the miniatures, or whether the level of quality they have is sufficient for you, but the actual quality of the models is an objective fact that exists independently of our opinions of them and "they look like green army men" or "'I left my Mage Knight figures in a hot car for a week' hideous" are just wrong. Like, I can look at a picture of these models, and of an army man and a melty(or, indeed, otherwise) Mage Knight figure and see that they're not even remotely equivalent by any sane, rational measure.

I can like chocolate, or dislike chocolate, or think a particular chocolate desert at a restaurant doesn't have sufficient quality to justify it's pricetag, but if I say "that chocolate desert literally looks like a turd on a plate" and it doesn't, in fact, look like a turd on a plate, then I'm wrong.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/02/14 02:50:31


I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in es
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain




Vigo. Spain.

Are this miniatures HIPS plastic like GW, Malifaux, etc...? Or are they hard plastic like... Mantic? Plastic-Resin hibrids? Or something like that.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
Captain





LA

 Galas wrote:
Are this miniatures HIPS plastic like GW, Malifaux, etc...? Or are they hard plastic like... Mantic? Plastic-Resin hibrids? Or something like that.


I've seen them described as harder plastic, like a less flexible more sturdy version of the runewars stuff. It appears to be better quality than runewars models as well.

 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 Yodhrin wrote:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Or it might be that people disagree on the quality of the minature's. It happens y'know.


No, see, you can disagree on whether you like the miniatures, or whether the level of quality they have is sufficient for you, but the actual quality of the models is an objective fact that exists independently of our opinions of them and "they look like green army men" or "'I left my Mage Knight figures in a hot car for a week' hideous" are just wrong. Like, I can look at a picture of these models, and of an army man and a melty(or, indeed, otherwise) Mage Knight figure and see that they're not even remotely equivalent by any sane, rational measure.

I can like chocolate, or dislike chocolate, or think a particular chocolate desert at a restaurant doesn't have sufficient quality to justify it's pricetag, but if I say "that chocolate desert literally looks like a turd on a plate" and it doesn't, in fact, look like a turd on a plate, then I'm wrong.


Ah but that's still a subjective comment as you're then making assumptions about people's relative experiences of turds and chocolate There's no such thing as an 'objective fact' in relation to different perceptions of a creative medium, though the examples we have here of comparison to other models/body matter is exaggerated (re. everything on the internet ever).You're right in that I'd want to kick you in the shins for the use of 'literally' though (bloody millennials...)

I'll admit to being massively underwhelmed with what I've seen thus far of this game. The vehicle sculpts are solid and the artwork is always going to be good from FFG but the character and infantry models have very uncomfortable posing, odd proportions or (in my subjective opinion) are just plain ugly (especially Luke and Leia). Might be the paint jobs contributing.

I could see the models in person and be completely bowled over and my opinion change (I'd actually hope this happens) so I may invest in a box of stormtroopers to test the water.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Nothing wrong with the miniatures, IMO. I'd quite like to buy them. Unfortunately, nothing I've seen about the game makes it look like something I'd want to play, and all the extraneous material included in the packages drives the price up too high for me as a collector.
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos






I like the vehicle models, but there is just something off about the infantry. It could be that they seem to be using heroic proportions, but everything else about them seems to be going for realism, and the result lands somewhere in the uncanny valley. Watched an unboxing video on the AT-ST yesterday, and I would caution any collectors to weight the base. That thing looks seriously top-heavy.

2750 Unliving Legion of the Zarith Dynasty
840 Imperial Knights of House Janis
2000 Khorne Bloodbound of the Skullfiend Tribe (Aqshy)
2000 Tzeentch Arcanites of the Cult of Searing Light (Hysh)
3000 Slaves to Darkness of the Legion of Rusted Chains (Allpoints/Azyr)
2500 Sylvaneth of the Seelie Court (Ghyran)
 
   
Made in us
Buttons Should Be Brass, Not Gold!





 Taarnak wrote:

Hideous? Now you are just being disingenuous. The images we've seen so far from unboxing and painting videos shows that these will be every bit as crisp and well detailed as most models out there. Maybe not the absolute highest standard, but really good especially given the material. Now, whether that quality is maintained on a consistent basis or not remains to be seen. Your assertion that they resemble melted figures is completely ridiculous hyperbole.


They're plastic toys, not your wife. They don't look great. They look cheap, about like something you'd find in a board game box. That's my opinion of them, you don't have to get upset. If you like them, buy them.

 Taarnak wrote:
And the parting shot at "fanboys" drags this very near to troll territory...


I'm a 40k fanboy.

It's Star Wars. It's not your mother. Please calm down.

 Shadow Captain Edithae wrote:
Right, but you can disagree without making personal attacks on people with different opinions to your own.


Who was personally attacked? If disparaging a plastic miniature hurts your feelings on a personal level, I strongly recommend contacting a professional as soon as possible.

 Yodhrin wrote:

No, see, you can disagree on whether you like the miniatures, or whether the level of quality they have is sufficient for you, but the actual quality of the models is an objective fact that exists independently of our opinions of them and "they look like green army men" or "'I left my Mage Knight figures in a hot car for a week' hideous" are just wrong. Like, I can look at a picture of these models, and of an army man and a melty(or, indeed, otherwise) Mage Knight figure and see that they're not even remotely equivalent by any sane, rational measure.


No, they look pretty cheap and flimsy. I hope these miniatures are about $15.00 for a pack of 10, otherwise it looks like poor quality. The vehicles are okay.

Saying that someone isn't 'sane' for seeing the same way you do, or having a different measure of quality than you do is a personal attack.

This is why I cringe every time Star Wars makes a foray into gaming like this. There are devotees of Star Wars that take every criticism of the franchise like you walked up into their house and pooped on their family photo and kicked the dog for spite.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2018/02/14 15:17:48


Every model can fly if you're brave enough. 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: