Switch Theme:

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

 LunarSol wrote:
I suppose I haven't actually watched the original series in its entirety recently enough to properly understand the emotional state of the characters going into the first episode.... but the original series was really not one in which character interactions drove the plot. It takes a pretty extreme read of the original series for the events of the first episode to leave you feeling betrayed the way Teela does and even then, pinning your main characters primary arc on an obscure reading of 40 year old material isn't a great way to tell a story.



I don't find it extreme at all. I find it someone looking back at a childish telling of a scenario which was more often than not played for laughs, and thinking "actually, that would really suck for that character pretty hard. Were she a living, breathing character and not a cardboard cutout proxy for an action figure, she'd feel hurt, betrayed and humiliated, and if that came at a time when she was also grieving for the person who she felt had inflicted those emotions on her at that time, she'd be a mess."

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 20:20:55


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Which is a fine route to work from, but if the original doesn't actually set that up, it's kind of on you to take the effort to establish the relationship you're building the character off of. "A real person would" is fine, but you have to take the time to make the relationships "real" to the audience if the original text put in no effort to do so.
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 LunarSol wrote:
Which is a fine route to work from, but if the original doesn't actually set that up, it's kind of on you to take the effort to establish the relationship you're building the character off of. "A real person would" is fine, but you have to take the time to make the relationships "real" to the audience if the original text put in no effort to do so.

But... they do. Even if you come into this knowing nothing about the original show, they show you right there in the first episode that Teela is Adam's best friend, that Man At Arms is her adoptive father, and that they're a tight knit group of friends who all know about Adam's secret... except for her. I'm not really sure how much more set-up you need.

 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Voss wrote:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
A.T. wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
Thats only not sympathetic if you expect only a single cookie cutter response to death and ignore her relationship to both the deceased and literally everyone else in the room.
What relationship?


She is part of a tight knit battle unit that is been in the front lines of a battle against Skeletor and his forces for -insert however long this has been going on-. This elite unit includes He-Man, Man at Arms, The Sorceress, Orko, Battlecat. She is the only person in that group who wasn't trusted with the truth. Double blow, the person hiding it from her is in reality her best friend, Adam. Triple blow, Man at Arms is her father. quadruple blow, the Queen who she serves directly is in on it too.
Except that Adam and the rest couldn't tell her. The Sorceress was the one who had them all hide the secret in the first place.

Doesn't mean they had to go along with it.
Especially given the other secret in play with the Sorceress... (which makes the whole thing that much more of a betrayal)
Even in the old show he didn't want to go along with it but did. Knowing he had to because if he did if Skelator or the others managed to wrangle out the secrets it would cause problems for all. So he had to suffer that silence.


Eh. It happened because of a basically nonsense genre convention for 80s cartoons. There wasn't ever any real reason for it- he was already a target, as prince of the planet. His family and friends were already targets (being the royal family and their retainers, and the retainers actively fought the bad guys openly). Its only a negative for Adam, as it means his father and his people view him as a useless coward. (Which gets straight up mentioned during the ceremony, when his father wishes for an opportunity to show paternal pride someday)

The original She-ra was actually worse about this (which seems kind of unbelievable, but 80s Adora had no connections whatsoever, and was publicly just a sidekick for active members of the rebellion once she defected from the Horde. Having a secret protected.... the complete lack of noncombatants in her life. Also somehow she publicly went from being a Force Captain of the Horde to a completely useless civilian, and that was believable because... reasons). For the reboot Noelle and company just said 'screw this noise' because secret identities make zero sense for this kind of show. And the first episode of this is the perfect example of why they make no sense.

What? Seriously, what?
Are you unfamiliar with grief at all? Rage at the person who died is one of the _most common_ human reactions.
Anger is seriously step 2 (or 3 if you hold to the '7 stages of grief' theory instead of 5)
Her reaction however was "You died and we had to live with it because you didn't tell me your secrets till then". Being locked out of the loop when the guy who died to save you (and comments on that fact) and acting as if you are suffering worse then the guy who *died* just seems completely selfish. Yes it's grief but it doesn't make one sympathetic.

Is the goal to make grieving people sympathetic? I'm not sure at all where you're going here. Dead people are dead; they aren't suffering. Grief is the pain of the people who survive the deceased. It doesn't just go away because its unpleasant, or yes, even ugly.
She's lost her best friend, prince and everyone she knows has been blatantly lying to her all her life. Character hit bottom, basically, now they get a character arc to rise above all that. Its pretty straightfoward storytelling.

Dying to save her is a stretch. That was a 'crack the planet/universe in half, everyone dies' scenario.

Had it not been a pile of secrets about magic nonsense (and getting Greyskull was always a goal of Skeletors so its unclear how any of the secrets helped), they could have put real defenses and a proper garrison around Castle Greyskull. The obsession with mystic nonsense and secrets really was a contributing factor to his death. Though admittedly the main factor was the Idiot Ball that everyone held onto for the rush through the first episode. 'Haha, I've figured everything out' and the 'No I won't bother to check (through this telepathic bond) if the single person who is allowed to come in is actually not where he should be at this exact moment of the celebration that I can see from this hill' was a pretty poor setup.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 20:56:18


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





They tell you all this, but don't really show it. They don't spend time on it or make it matter to the audience. Referencing relationships isn't the same as giving the audience the opportunity experience them directly. Betrayal is a really raw emotion; its entirely based on forged bonds proving false and to empathize you need to share in those bonds with the characters.

When a king introduces "their most loyal and trusted advisor" who stabs them in the back; there's almost never a real sense of betrayal. You didn't get to share in the times where they helped reach a compromise that averted war or watched them be the confidant after a hard choice. The audience doesn't trust them and they certainly don't feel betrayed.

But in those stories the king isn't the main character. They fall so that evil can rise and create a villain for the hero of the story, who almost never trusts the advisor and is therefore shown to be smarter than the rest. Here though, the main character suffers betrayal, but we're not really given any means to share in that feeling. It drives her entire character going forward, but we're not given a reason to see things that way.

Audience can go along with the most unlikeable, unrelatable characters out there if they're shown something to see things from their perspective. The problem here is that we're not given the sense of trust needed to relate to the bitterness that follows.
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Meh, the set up worked fine for me, and Teela's reaction seemed absolutely appropriate. But to each his own.

 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




Audience can go along with the most unlikeable, unrelatable characters out there if they're shown something to see things from their perspective. The problem here is that we're not given the sense of trust needed to relate to the bitterness that follows.


I don't agree. Beyond general knowledge of the show's existence and character names (and that I thought it was terrible) I don't have much knowledge of the original.

The opening episode was really bad at rushing through the plot elements, but it set up the characters just fine.

Teela goes from being honored for everything she's done in the past to a fight we're she's theoretically in command but not getting told everything (her father who she theoretically replaced is still barking orders at her), gets to see a man burned alive in front of her, then her friend gets outed and killed and then she's told to exile her father figured who was in on everything she wasn't ever told about.

It seems perfectly understandable why she's angry and bitter. More than enough to relate to for me. I'm not sure I would've burned my bridges with the king in that moment (but I'm a pretty cold person all told), but I'm not sure I would've stopped myself either. In the intensity of the moment, lashing out seems expected behavior, if not completely reasonable (but death, grief and betrayal are good reasons for unreasonableness).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 21:21:39


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





Voss wrote:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Her reaction however was "You died and we had to live with it because you didn't tell me your secrets till then". Being locked out of the loop when the guy who died to save you (and comments on that fact) and acting as if you are suffering worse then the guy who *died* just seems completely selfish. Yes it's grief but it doesn't make one sympathetic.

Is the goal to make grieving people sympathetic? I'm not sure at all where you're going here. Dead people are dead; they aren't suffering. Grief is the pain of the people who survive the deceased. It doesn't just go away because its unpleasant, or yes, even ugly.
She's lost her best friend, prince and everyone she knows has been blatantly lying to her all her life. Character hit bottom, basically, now they get a character arc to rise above all that. Its pretty straightfoward storytelling.
I want to point out this bit in particular. Where she lost my sympathy and I mentioned this before was where the dead came back to life and it's quite clear that he is indeed suffering, but she is blaming him for leaving her to his face for this. Yes the goal may not be to make grieving people sympathetic, but not much else is making me like this character.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





 insaniak wrote:
Meh, the set up worked fine for me, and Teela's reaction seemed absolutely appropriate. But to each his own.


Agreed. Truthfully, I really want to like it and.... I'm not saying its bad. In terms of what happens, it's more or less exactly what I expected and I really hope it continues to build on what it's accomplished so far. I just continually found myself disappointed in how things happened, which is entirely subjective.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Azreal13 wrote:
Ah, so you're objecting to sequels with decades between story arcs that focus on other characters?
No strawmen please.
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

Firstly, it was phrased as a question.

Secondly

GoT Season 3 air 40 years after season 2 and follow the adventures of Hot Pie, a jacked up and jaded assassin battling his way through Essos a decade after the winter war had ended with his long time companion Axl the dire wolf and a serious chip on his shoulder that no-one told him earlier that Jon Snow was heir to the throne


Tell me that doesn't imply a significant chronological gap and a change in focus of character is your problem, while applying a snark filter to try and distil your actual point.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 22:59:05


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut






That throne room scene from the first episode is a good example of parasitic storytelling - you're expected to know why Teela acts like a horrible person, but not because the narrative properly outlines her actions, but because you've seen this story before.

It takes her three minutes of show time to find out Adam was He-Man, rant about her betrayed sense of self importance and walk away, and the only indication of her mental and emotional state is a couple seconds of looking shocked and a clenched fist.

It's laughably lazy.
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 His Master's Voice wrote:
That throne room scene from the first episode is a good example of parasitic storytelling - you're expected to know why Teela acts like a horrible person, but not because the narrative properly outlines her actions, but because you've seen this story before.

And because they just showed you that Adam was her best friend, introduced her personal relationship with Man at Arms, and showed a tight-knit group of people she's been fighting alongside but who have been deliberately deceiving her for a good chunk of her adult life.

She's not acting like a 'horrible person'. She's acting like someone who just lost her best friend and at the same time found out that everyone she cares about has been lying to her.


Yes, the background stuff is condensed into a short timeframe so that they can get on with the actual story, in the same way as the MCU Hulk movie condensed Hulk's origin into the opening credits rather than wasting movie time telling you a bunch of stuff you already know. It's there for those people who aren't as familiar with the original story, but this being a sequal rather than a stand-alone product, it's just not worth spending a lot of time on.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 23:25:01


 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






Ohh yeah the The kingdom lost its prince, the king and queen are devastated at loosing THEIR CHILD, and Eternia lost friggin He-Man... but hold on Teelas' feelings got hurt.
Her self importance and self rightousness is what we are getting from the story? How does that make her in any way likeable or relatable??
Who acts like that?

If they wanted teela to appeal to a self righteous, arrogant, angry snarky entitled teenagers they have succeeded..

Not to mention when confronted with the quest to save ONLY THE FRIGGIN UNIVERSE her go to response is: "Nuhuhhhh fam.. screw the universe" Despite the fact she lives in the said universe...

What kind of relatable character writing is that? Clearly he wasn't that much of a best friend when rather then grieve she is angry that he didn't tell her the truth and she wasn't important enough to be "included" in the secret..

The whole thing is cringe bad but not in the good way..

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Azreal13 wrote:
Firstly, it was phrased as a question.
Then the answer to your question is no.

 Azreal13 wrote:
Secondly - Tell me that doesn't imply a significant chronological gap and a change in focus of character is your problem, while applying a snark filter to try and distil your actual point.
As per my posts leading up to that point - my problem is with a lack of sufficient character development prior to the key pivotal character change, and specifically in this case that I don't agree that "this show is designed as a sequel" gets around the problem of poor character development.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/30 00:10:08


 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut






 insaniak wrote:

And because they just showed you that Adam was her best friend, introduced her personal relationship with Man at Arms, and showed a tight-knit group of people she's been fighting alongside but who have been deliberately deceiving her for a good chunk of her adult life.


None of which is particularly relevant to my point. The actual showing of Teela's emotional and mental state immediately before and during the throne room scene is missing and the show expects you to fill in the blanks based on what you expect a character to feel in a situation like this.

It's as if The Empire Strikes Back went directly from "I AM YOUR FATHER", to Luke standing in the window of the Rebellion frigate, because who need characters emoting in context of the events of the story, right? We can just imagine Luke's distress.

 insaniak wrote:
She's not acting like a 'horrible person'. She's acting like someone who just lost her best friend and at the same time found out that everyone she cares about has been lying to her.


Now I'm not a He-Man aficionado, so maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but in the very episode we're discussing, Teela was described as trusted and capable enough to be promoted to a high (highest) military rank in the kingdom. Even if you ignore the inappropriate outburst in front of grieving parents, or the very personal insult her actions lie on her adoptive father, she's still abandoning her duty towards the state and people she was supposed to protect.

That she's emotional in that every moment is an explanation, not an excuse. And because the audience had to DIY her emotional state, she comes across as entirely self absorbed and uncaring.

 insaniak wrote:
Yes, the background stuff is condensed into a short timeframe so that they can get on with the actual story, in the same way as the MCU Hulk movie condensed Hulk's origin into the opening credits rather than wasting movie time telling you a bunch of stuff you already know. It's there for those people who aren't as familiar with the original story, but this being a sequal rather than a stand-alone product, it's just not worth spending a lot of time on.


This isn't about explaining the mechanics of a dude turning into another, angrier dude. This is about building a character the audience is supposed to connect with.

You get the gamma radiation (or whatever it was with Hulk) out of the way, so that you can get to the part where the protagonist struggles with his inner green demon and throws armoured cars around.

You skip the struggle and you generally end up with crap. Well, bigger crap than the Hulk movies already are.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/30 00:09:26


 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 Argive wrote:
Ohh yeah the The kingdom lost its prince, the king and queen are devastated at loosing THEIR CHILD, and Eternia lost friggin He-Man... but hold on Teelas' feelings got hurt.
Her self importance and self rightousness is what we are getting from the story? How does that make her in any way likeable or relatable??
Who acts like that?

Most people, when dealing with grief and anger. They aren't weighing out suffering like its money being split from a pot to see who got the largest share of pain.
They're reacting to their own.

If that isn't relatable, wait a couple decades.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/30 00:44:33


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

A.T. wrote:
 Azreal13 wrote:
Firstly, it was phrased as a question.
Then the answer to your question is no.

 Azreal13 wrote:
Secondly - Tell me that doesn't imply a significant chronological gap and a change in focus of character is your problem, while applying a snark filter to try and distil your actual point.
As per my posts leading up to that point - my problem is with a lack of sufficient character development prior to the key pivotal character change, and specifically in this case that I don't agree that "this show is designed as a sequel" gets around the problem of poor character development.


I think it is fairly obvious that there's no consensus that there is a problem.

Nevertheless, if you're going to dismiss existing information pertinent to characters as irrelevant for reasons, then disagree that those reasons are correct, then come back and argue that there isn't sufficient character development based solely on one item that very clearly and openly is not intended to stand alone, despite there clearly being sufficient information to draw reasonable conclusions in spite of that, then I don't think this is the show for you.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 Argive wrote:
Ohh yeah the The kingdom lost its prince, the king and queen are devastated at loosing THEIR CHILD, and Eternia lost friggin He-Man... but hold on Teelas' feelings got hurt.

Er... yes?

I mean, the story follows Teela's reaction, because she's the protagonist. If the story was following King Randor's exploits following the death of his son, they no doubt would have put his reaction and the aftermath of that center stage.

I honestly don't get where being upset that your best friend (and, incidentally, the guy she's been tasked with protecting all these years despite that clearly not actually having been necessary) has just died and you've just found out that despite being told you're so wonderfully trustworthy, nobody trusted you with his secret... which would have been kind of relevant to her job... somehow makes her 'self absorbed'. Her entire world has just come crashing down around her ears. She's entitled to be upset about that.

 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






 insaniak wrote:
 Argive wrote:
Ohh yeah the The kingdom lost its prince, the king and queen are devastated at loosing THEIR CHILD, and Eternia lost friggin He-Man... but hold on Teelas' feelings got hurt.

Er... yes?

I mean, the story follows Teela's reaction, because she's the protagonist. If the story was following King Randor's exploits following the death of his son, they no doubt would have put his reaction and the aftermath of that center stage.

I honestly don't get where being upset that your best friend (and, incidentally, the guy she's been tasked with protecting all these years despite that clearly not actually having been necessary) has just died and you've just found out that despite being told you're so wonderfully trustworthy, nobody trusted you with his secret... which would have been kind of relevant to her job... somehow makes her 'self absorbed'. Her entire world has just come crashing down around her ears. She's entitled to be upset about that.


And here I thought it wasn't a Teela show, but masters of the universe show.. Silly me.

I mean if she blamed herself for failing at her job I could understand...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Voss wrote:
 Argive wrote:
Ohh yeah the The kingdom lost its prince, the king and queen are devastated at loosing THEIR CHILD, and Eternia lost friggin He-Man... but hold on Teelas' feelings got hurt.
Her self importance and self rightousness is what we are getting from the story? How does that make her in any way likeable or relatable??
Who acts like that?

Most people, when dealing with grief and anger. They aren't weighing out suffering like its money being split from a pot to see who got the largest share of pain.
They're reacting to their own.

If that isn't relatable, wait a couple decades.


So you think people get worse at reading situations and managing their baggage and emotions as they get older, and not better ? LOL
Interesting take

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2021/07/30 01:11:24


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

No, he means that you might not have experienced significant grief before, and as you get older that likelihood gradually becomes a statistical certainty.

That you apparently didn't grasp this doesn't really do much to shore up your argument.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






I guess your signature quotes are kind of ironic...

What a disgusting take.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 Argive wrote:

And here I thought it wasn't a Teela show, but masters of the universe show.. Silly me.

Notice how 'Star Wars' wasn't called 'The Luke Show'?

It's a Masters of the Universe show. At least for this first half of it, Teela has been the primary protagonist.


I mean if she blamed herself for failing at her job I could understand...

I'd say she did. That would absolutely be an element of the anger and hurt that she displays in the throne room, and an underlying cause of her not wanting to get involved again.




 
   
Made in us
Maddening Mutant Boss of Chaos





The Wastes of Krieg

 Argive wrote:
I guess your signature quotes are kind of ironic...

What a disgusting take.

You should slow down a little and stop getting worked up

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/30 01:33:13


 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






DeathKorp_Rider wrote:
 Argive wrote:
I guess your signature quotes are kind of ironic...

What a disgusting take.

You should slow down a little and stop getting worked up


I'm not getting worked up I'm just not engaging with someone saying:

I'm sorry, but you haven't experienced true grief and your opinion is invalid.
Says me.

I mean.... Its not really worth getting worked dup against if that level of garbage is being flunged at you.
Your post is also now on the garbage pile. Sorry.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/07/30 01:37:04


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

That's isn't what was said, but then we wouldn't be here if you were a little better at reading subtext.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Azreal13 wrote:
Nevertheless, if you're going to dismiss existing information pertinent to characters as irrelevant for reasons, then disagree that those reasons are correct, then come back and argue...
Hey, you are the one arguing that scenes of a character with a different personality from a show which had a completely different narrative structure and which most of the audience have probably never seen because it aired four decades ago... provides all the required foundation for the new series, particularly the parts where they go wildly against the 80s grain.

I guess we'll just have to agree that there isn't a consensus on it.
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






 insaniak wrote:
 Argive wrote:

And here I thought it wasn't a Teela show, but masters of the universe show.. Silly me.

Notice how 'Star Wars' wasn't called 'The Luke Show'?

It's a Masters of the Universe show. At least for this first half of it, Teela has been the primary protagonist.


I mean if she blamed herself for failing at her job I could understand...

I'd say she did. That would absolutely be an element of the anger and hurt that she displays in the throne room, and an underlying cause of her not wanting to get involved again.


You can like what you like. But I just didn't see it..
I mean I just did not se any element of hero's journey or growth. Her biggest fear was that she was "too strong" ?

I mean I ahve no problem with teela existing or being hencher then addam (LOL).
But the classical hero tale just isint there..

In my view:

Adam dies - Teela finds out He man is adam. (She'd kind of suspected this by this point SURELY? Which would demonstrate her insight) So she thinks - yaaaaaahh that makes sense.. Should have trusted me but I respect your choice seeing as you're DEAD.

Teela feels like a failure for A) Not being trust worthy enough. B) Failing at her job to protect the prince (but no He-Man).

She obviously cant stand to be at the palace or look at his parents or her dad and runs away int he dead of night.

Decides to leave/self exile and go on an epic hero journey to find a way to 'fix things' by killing evil and atone or find a way to either turn time back or revive adam...

Instead what we get?
Going in a hissy fit "I hate all of you because my feelings are hurt, I'm awesome and you're not baaaawwwahahhhaa!!! FFFFUUUUUUUUU ALLL!!"

I mean that's just not an endearing character arc IMO....



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Azreal13 wrote:
That's isn't what was said, but then we wouldn't be here if you were a little better at reading subtext.


Sure thing buddy.. you keep pretending that.
"nuhhuhh thats not what I said you just cant read" is basically what you re saying now. Are you a child ?


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/30 01:58:56


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

Its a simple matter of fact, you've misrepresented what was said, got indignant about it and are now calling names. It's a perfect stawman/ad hom combo.

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

Why is everyone so butthurt about the size of Teela's muscles in this? She has the exact same size muscles as Evil-Lynn. They are practically the same base form with a clothing and hair swap.

It's freaking Eternia. Everyone is some flavor of barbarian, even if they are using guns!







"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: