Switch Theme:

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

Cronch wrote:
original teela also didn't have human female physique. A human female can get big muscular arms. A human female cannot get waist as thin as OG teela without surgery or corsets.

Yes, women were able to achieve even thinner waists with corsets. I agree that it's unrealistic. Because even walking in a corset THAT tight would kill her. But it IS possible to achieve that look with a corset is all I'm saying. Both looks are unrealistic, so I'm just not buying the argument that new one is more realistic than the other
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




with a corset. with external help. A human female MAY get shredded. A human female willl not have waist that you can actually close your hand around without external tools. That's the difference. One look is literally impossible for a human female to achieve naturally, the other just requires hard work.
   
Made in sk
Fresh-Faced New User



Slovakia

Cronch wrote:
with a corset. with external help. A human female MAY get shredded. A human female willl not have waist that you can actually close your hand around without external tools. That's the difference. One look is literally impossible for a human female to achieve naturally, the other just requires hard work.

Of course, that's true, but the thing is, that it's not just about being shredded. But getting arms big like that is the more difficult part. So I'll disagree with you on this.
You can point to pictures of athletes, even in this thread, but those that have arms that big, have also bigger bodies. That's the point. You can of course always find an outlier, but even professional female athletes will struggle to get those huge arms. Now if said woman used the external help of steroids...

If we talk about achievability, then it's much easier to get a corset and go for the old Teela look, just saying

Anyway, we are going in rounds. I'll disagree with the argument, that new Teela's look is more realistic or achievable than the old one and leave it at that
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





 insaniak wrote:
Balerion wrote:
...Teela being really unlikeable ...

What makes you say that?

Honest question, because I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, but I liked her character just fine. So I'm curious as to why people think she's unlikeable.


That whole bit about being pissed off at Adam and berating him to his face when he was the one who died to save everyone was certainly something that makes her unlikable to me. There's also the constant lashing out at her friends and team mates time and time again.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 13:15:45


 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






A.T. wrote:
 insaniak wrote:
Honest question, because I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, but I liked her character just fine. So I'm curious as to why people think she's unlikeable.
She didn't have the most sympathetic introduction to her character arc.

Randor: "My son" :(
Marlena: "My son" :(
Man at Arms: "Your son" :(
Teela: "You pack of liars! I hate you all! ME!" (paraphrased)

The show didn't take the time to build up to this - it's hard to sell character defining betrayal without defining the character, harder still when up to that point Teela had been lavished with praise, entrusted with power, and barely exchanged two words with Adam or He-Man. The whole story really lacks buildup to give the scene more weight than dummy-spitting outrage.


Different people handle grief in different ways. Teela had it land on her twice. First at the lost of her countries greatest champion, her companion, who she had been fighting side by side with for presumably years. And then she gets home to find out that it isn't only this person she trusted her life to, but also her best friend since she was a small child. Her reaction to this double blow of grief is anger and a sense of betrayal. It literally wasn't about anyone else's feelings then, because she was processing her own.

Thats only not sympathetic if you expect only a single cookie cutter response to death and ignore her relationship to both the deceased and literally everyone else in the room.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in ca
Preacher of the Emperor






Watched it last night - thought it was pretty good.

It's loaded with a lot of great moments and does a good job selling itself as a sequel to the frequently absurd original series, though I think it suffers a bit because of its limited episode count: in the original series Teela could have gone through an arc like this over the course of one episode but by trying to serialize it while limiting it to 5 episodes it ironically feels rushed.

I remember listening to Kevin Smith's podcast where he mentioned that he had pitched this idea (I think right after he got confirmation that Mattel had accepted it) though he couldn't mention specifics I think we see a lot of that pitch in the final product. In contrast to She-Ra which is a thorough reimagining of the show based on the existing premise, He-Man styles itself as a sequel to the original, in all its faux-heavy metal toy mongering glory and revels in it.

I see the ending getting a lot of flack, but I don't think it's going to be a problem. Kevin Smith knows the internet and the ending seems tailor made to troll the bad actors, as a part-one cliffhanger I think it works great but they've tipped their hand a little too hard.

Spoiler:
If they were actually going to kill Adam off, that spear would have gone through his chest.


Overall, good show, great in its premise and execution, but it chafes hard against its limited runtime. Glad to see Scareglow get some love.

   
Made in au
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller




I didnt read alot of past but prob said before:

I like the cast and voice actors (gives gravitas)

However, I think the writing is sub par and to predictive, though I love the inclusion of 'in your face' puns to relate back to the classic.

The story is a bit meh and I hate how He-man is dead? (female protagonists but being all the rage I suppose).

See how it goes if get season 2. If had to rate would say 5/10. Does the nostalgia (with intros with all the old toys etc) but not the substance and side note where is the after episode in you face moral lesson (if fully pulling the pun?)

14k Generic Space Marine Chapters
20k Deathwatch
10k Sisters of Battle
3k Inquisition
4k Grey Knights
5k Imperial Guard
4k Harlequins
4k Tau



 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Lance845 wrote:
Thats only not sympathetic if you expect only a single cookie cutter response to death and ignore her relationship to both the deceased and literally everyone else in the room.
What relationship?

None of that was a culmination of character development. No time was taken to establish who she was or what her relationships were to separate grief from shallow egotism, she might as well have been screaming at the king for getting Mossman killed for all the narrative lead-in it was given.

Hell even the timing of her 'you are all liars' rant was a response to the King being outraged that he hadn't been told and still placing his trust in her. That and half the episode spent singing her praises - frankly she could have been a petty self centered villian trying to destroy magic for the rest of the series and would it really have gone against what they had established of her up to that point?
   
Made in us
Tunneling Trygon




Mexico

I would argue that the root of the issue is that MOTU didn't really had a story nor properly established characters.

So by trying to make a short 10 episodes long sequel, Kevin Smith is basically building sand castles because there is no prior character building to expand upon. He had to make everything out of thin air and there is no way you can satisfactorily do that in 10 episodes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 14:29:15


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Tyran wrote:
I would argue that the root of the issue is that MOTU didn't really had a story nor properly established characters.
So by trying to make a short 10 episodes long sequel, Kevin Smith is basically building sand castles because there is no prior character building to expand upon.
Are you refering to the original MOTU series?

If so I disagree - if Smith didn't lay the foundation for his own story he has no-one to blame but himself.
   
Made in ca
Preacher of the Emperor






I would argue that such hand-holding is unnecessary even if the narrative was a stand-alone story or reinterpretation of these characters - especially so when you have a short runtime. In this case though it's doubly unnecessary: it's a sequel to the original cartoon, Teela and Adam's relationship is carried over thusly and her reaction is the fallout to decisions made during the original series (both in-universe and out of universe) and they don't need to stop and explain it any more than they need to stop and explain that Cringer transforms into Battle Cat.

I do think it feels rushed though, and I don't neccesarily think they needed to eject the king and queen from the narrative, with one more episode in its runtime you could have had Teela remain as man at arms and still have her follow the inciting incident while also choosing reluctantly to go against the king's wishes - but a lot of neat ideas will have to be pruned if you're covering 15 episodes worth of stuff in 5.

Also, where was Mekaneck?

   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





My main issue with Teela's response to... everything, is that we're not given any real build up to go along with it. Where so much of the series is about trying to establish character relationships and motivations, we're not given any real time with Teela and Adam to understand their relationship and sympathize with the sense of loss and betrayal she lashes out with. That's all left on the shoulders of the original, which I just don't think is capable of doing that job.

The show does a lot of retcon world building that feels really weird without having spent time in the world itself. I have similar odd responses to things like the angry mob and enchanted water. Getting some time in the world prior where we could have seen people depend on enchanted water would have made the situation feel more organic and helped bring the world to life.

Ultimately I can't help shake the feeling that what the show really needs is an episode or two of reestablishing the original dynamic before subverting it. Like, in my head the world was always kind of a barbaric wasteland. The loss of magic doesn't really make things feel any worse off than they already did, despite constantly being told how bad things are now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 15:11:32


 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






A.T. wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
Thats only not sympathetic if you expect only a single cookie cutter response to death and ignore her relationship to both the deceased and literally everyone else in the room.
What relationship?


She is part of a tight knit battle unit that is been in the front lines of a battle against Skeletor and his forces for -insert however long this has been going on-. This elite unit includes He-Man, Man at Arms, The Sorceress, Orko, Battlecat. She is the only person in that group who wasn't trusted with the truth. Double blow, the person hiding it from her is in reality her best friend, Adam. Triple blow, Man at Arms is her father. quadruple blow, the Queen who she serves directly is in on it too.

None of that was a culmination of character development. No time was taken to establish who she was or what her relationships were to separate grief from shallow egotism, she might as well have been screaming at the king for getting Mossman killed for all the narrative lead-in it was given.


Hence it's a continuation of a series that already existed. I would agree with this statement more if the series wasn't based on the idea that it's a sequel. I don't need John Wick 2 and 3 to give me scenes reestablishing his love for his now deceased wife. This show doesn't need to have a multiple episode build up to establish who Teela is. The show does it already. The corronation for her Rank to Man at Arms establishes her relationship to the kingdom and her father. They talk about her service. The rest of the show features flash back and character moments where they build on how each character is connected to her. The convo with Cringer. The whole episode with Man at Arms and Orko. It's all in the brief 5 episodes. You just have to watch them.

Hell even the timing of her 'you are all liars' rant was a response to the King being outraged that he hadn't been told and still placing his trust in her. That and half the episode spent singing her praises - frankly she could have been a petty self centered villian trying to destroy magic for the rest of the series and would it really have gone against what they had established of her up to that point?


See above. The king was ALSO lied to all this time. They both reacted with anger. Teela is unlikable for it and nobody has any bad word to say about King Randor. Whats the difference?



These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





 Lance845 wrote:

See above. The king was ALSO lied to all this time. They both reacted with anger. Teela is unlikable for it and nobody has any bad word to say about King Randor. Whats the difference?


Randor immediately stops being a character at that point. Teela defines the remaining episodes.
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch





Least this time round Adam and He-Man are different shapes, always thought Teela (and everyone else really) had a case of Lane's disease (the inability to discern between the same person wearing a rubbish disguise like a shirt or glasses)

"AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED." 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





No build up? Even in the original show's legendary opening title sequence alone we know that Adam and Cringer are really He-Man and Battlecat, and that "only three others share this secret" - Man-at-Arms, Orko and the Sorceress. Thats without even lifting a finger...

In almost all the episodes the rest of the characters are asking "Where did Adam run off to? Oh, He-Man, thank goodness you're here!" and they even had many episodes that dived deeper still; Adam gets frustrated that he can't let Randor know who he really is, Marlena implies to Adam that she does know who he is, the Sorceress is upset that she can't have a proper parent-child relationship with her own daughter, Teela constantly putting him down because no one has told her that adam is he-man...

...and all those episodes are on youtube - right now - for free! Why, they even had a few episodes where He-man had a twin sister and she had a whole gay-pride parade of friends including a rainbow-winged flying unicorn and a fully grown moustached man with a heart on his shirt, answering to the name of "Bo". I know that sounds like a mad, woke idea, but its all in there.

And lets face it, the original series had its dark moments...








This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 16:24:40


Casual gaming, mostly solo-coop these days.

 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





 Lance845 wrote:
A.T. wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
Thats only not sympathetic if you expect only a single cookie cutter response to death and ignore her relationship to both the deceased and literally everyone else in the room.
What relationship?


She is part of a tight knit battle unit that is been in the front lines of a battle against Skeletor and his forces for -insert however long this has been going on-. This elite unit includes He-Man, Man at Arms, The Sorceress, Orko, Battlecat. She is the only person in that group who wasn't trusted with the truth. Double blow, the person hiding it from her is in reality her best friend, Adam. Triple blow, Man at Arms is her father. quadruple blow, the Queen who she serves directly is in on it too.
Except that Adam and the rest couldn't tell her. The Sorceress was the one who had them all hide the secret in the first place.

I can't exactly find her sympathetic when she decided to unload all of this on the person who died though. I could somewhat understand her before that but afterwords it was just really.. All about "Me" Teela.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 17:00:53


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Lance845 wrote:
She is part of a tight knit battle unit that is been in the front lines of a battle against Skeletor and his forces for -insert however long this has been going on-.]
This has been going on for 0 episodes.
"That cheesy kids cartoon that last aired a decade before half the audience was born" is not adequate character development for anything, let alone a show that ditches the most established characters from said cartoon and replaces the rest with reinterpretations and a time skip on the setting.


 Lance845 wrote:
Teela is unlikable for it and nobody has any bad word to say about King Randor. Whats the difference?
It's the Teela show. King Randor promptly vanishes off the face of Eternia and is forgotten.
Besides his response is more reasonable despite being an ass about it - if he had thrown down his crown and stormed out of the palace ranting about how he was done with his whole lying kingdom it might have garnered more attention, mostly about how stupid it would have been I imagine.
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

A.T. wrote:

This has been going on for 0 episodes.
"That cheesy kids cartoon that last aired a decade before half the audience was born" is not adequate character development for anything, let alone a show that ditches the most established characters from said cartoon and replaces the rest with reinterpretations and a time skip on the setting.




Again, as has been pointed out, this show is designed as a sequel. As with all sequels there's an assumption you know what the feth is going on.

Did you start watching GoT in Season 3 and complain about how none of it made sense? Watch The Lost World and be angry about how all the dinosaurs.came out of nowhere?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 17:16:58


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Sinister Chaos Marine





You have to wonder if the marketing teams are more aware than we give them credit for. I agree with the general sentiment about the angry nerds (I was reading a thread elsewhere of people dumping on this, and in the next breath complaining that the action figures were sold out everywhere!).

Between the marketing and the angry nerds, they "got me" one other time. DC put out a Titans show and the promo material showed some doughy, lame, unflattering interpretations of some of the Titans, and an edgelord Robin. It was presented as a social justice gakfest that the angry nerds didn't like, so I passed on it. Then I ended up just buying both seasons and watching it for the hell of it, and Hawk and Dove stole the show. A football bro and a "girly girl" (who was about the best looking choice they could have made), damaged and co dependent, with "superhero" bodies and real acting talent. They didn't promote them (or Wonder Girl, who was about as well translated as you could expect) and went with their worst stuff instead. Don't get me wrong it was still pretty awful (if they recognized what they had and made a Hawk and Dove show, they might have had a hit!), but not for the reasons I expected. You have to wonder if they were thinking "any publicity is good publicity" as their strategy, or am I that out of touch?

It was the same thing for this. They made this seem like it would feature He-Man in the promos. It didn't, and it got the angry nerds upset. I had previously tried to watch and did not finish the Voltron, GI Joe, Transformers reboots, but watched every episode of the MOTU show to see what the fuss was about. And in the end it was just as mediocre as the above. IMO you don't have to be an angry nerd, incel or whatever to find it tiresome. They "got" me again with the marketing, so overall I guess it was a success?

Spoiler:
I expect that the new character (who probably WAS Teela earlier in development until "Buffy" became involved) will either get the sword and "have the power" or possibly the two of them will wield the split sword.
   
Made in ca
Preacher of the Emperor






 Slowroll wrote:
Spoiler:
I expect that the new character (who probably WAS Teela earlier in development until "Buffy" became involved) will either get the sword and "have the power" or possibly the two of them will wield the split sword.


Imagine the internet's reaction if they...

Spoiler:
pulled a Mighty Man, and just had Teela or whomever hold up the sword and turn into He-Man?

   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Azreal13 wrote:
Again, as has been pointed out, this show is designed as a sequel. As with all sequels there's an assumption you know what the feth is going on.
Did you start watching GoT in Season 3 and complain about how none of it made sense? Watch The Lost World and be angry about how all the dinosaurs.came out of nowhere?
I guess that depends.
Did GoT Season 3 air 40 years after season 2 and follow the adventures of Hot Pie, a jacked up and jaded assassin battling his way through Essos a decade after the winter war had ended with his long time companion Axl the dire wolf and a serious chip on his shoulder that no-one told him earlier that Jon Snow was heir to the throne? [spoilers]

That said i'd have bought it as a reasonable excuse if the show was a spiritual successor, which is to say in the same spirit and style as the original. Everyone cheery and hopeful, he-man throwing the odd mountain at skeletor, and so on.
But just having the same names and broad visual designs does not make them the same characters. The original Teela would have responded differently - and when you change the characters responses, motivations, etc then you need to do the work setting up who they are now.


 Captain Joystick wrote:
Imagine the internet's reaction if they...
That actually sounds like something that could have happened in an 80s episode of He-man.
Certainly wouldn't have been the weirdest episode.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 17:48:31


 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

Goose LeChance wrote:
That haircut, as soon as you see it you know what's up


Go on…

I want to be sure I get exactly what you’re implying.

   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut



Canada

 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Goose LeChance wrote:
That haircut, as soon as you see it you know what's up


Go on…

I want to be sure I get exactly what you’re implying.


It means I can safely assume this is yet another feminist's deconstruction of a property that was originally marketed to boys

Old World Prediction: The Empire will have Clockwork Paragon Warsuits 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





 Azreal13 wrote:
A.T. wrote:

This has been going on for 0 episodes.
"That cheesy kids cartoon that last aired a decade before half the audience was born" is not adequate character development for anything, let alone a show that ditches the most established characters from said cartoon and replaces the rest with reinterpretations and a time skip on the setting.




Again, as has been pointed out, this show is designed as a sequel. As with all sequels there's an assumption you know what the feth is going on.

Did you start watching GoT in Season 3 and complain about how none of it made sense? Watch The Lost World and be angry about how all the dinosaurs.came out of nowhere?
Can it be considered a proper sequel if they've changed actual canon inbetween? Orko was retconned to be a complete failure of a wizard even on Trolla his home plane, when he was a grand wizard before but his magic just didn't work correctly in Eternia. There's a possibility of other changes as well that we don't know of inbetween the scenes.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 18:39:15


 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain





SoCal

Goose LeChance wrote:
 BobtheInquisitor wrote:
Goose LeChance wrote:
That haircut, as soon as you see it you know what's up


Go on…

I want to be sure I get exactly what you’re implying.


It means I can safely assume this is yet another feminist's deconstruction of a property that was originally marketed to boys


That is…not what I thought you were getting at at all. Glad you cleared that up, thanks.

   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
A.T. wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
Thats only not sympathetic if you expect only a single cookie cutter response to death and ignore her relationship to both the deceased and literally everyone else in the room.
What relationship?


She is part of a tight knit battle unit that is been in the front lines of a battle against Skeletor and his forces for -insert however long this has been going on-. This elite unit includes He-Man, Man at Arms, The Sorceress, Orko, Battlecat. She is the only person in that group who wasn't trusted with the truth. Double blow, the person hiding it from her is in reality her best friend, Adam. Triple blow, Man at Arms is her father. quadruple blow, the Queen who she serves directly is in on it too.
Except that Adam and the rest couldn't tell her. The Sorceress was the one who had them all hide the secret in the first place.

Doesn't mean they had to go along with it.
Especially given the other secret in play with the Sorceress... (which makes the whole thing that much more of a betrayal)

I can't exactly find her sympathetic when she decided to unload all of this on the person who died though. I could somewhat understand her before that but afterwords it was just really.. All about "Me" Teela.

What? Seriously, what?
Are you unfamiliar with grief at all? Rage at the person who died is one of the _most common_ human reactions.
Anger is seriously step 2 (or 3 if you hold to the '7 stages of grief' theory instead of 5)


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Can it be considered a proper sequel if they've changed actual canon inbetween?

Yes.

Trivial retcons to a side character or even large swaths of 'canon' don't make anything 'not a sequel,' otherwise all comics and many many films/tv shows (star wars, star trek, stargate, Buffy/Angel, etc, etc) are completely invalid.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 19:01:05


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
The Daemon Possessing Fulgrim's Body





Devon, UK

A.T. wrote:
 Azreal13 wrote:
Again, as has been pointed out, this show is designed as a sequel. As with all sequels there's an assumption you know what the feth is going on.
Did you start watching GoT in Season 3 and complain about how none of it made sense? Watch The Lost World and be angry about how all the dinosaurs.came out of nowhere?
I guess that depends.
Did GoT Season 3 air 40 years after season 2 and follow the adventures of Hot Pie, a jacked up and jaded assassin battling his way through Essos a decade after the winter war had ended with his long time companion Axl the dire wolf and a serious chip on his shoulder that no-one told him earlier that Jon Snow was heir to the throne? [spoilers]

That said i'd have bought it as a reasonable excuse if the show was a spiritual successor, which is to say in the same spirit and style as the original. Everyone cheery and hopeful, he-man throwing the odd mountain at skeletor, and so on.
But just having the same names and broad visual designs does not make them the same characters. The original Teela would have responded differently - and when you change the characters responses, motivations, etc then you need to do the work setting up who they are now.



Ah, so you're objecting to sequels with decades between story arcs that focus on other characters?

I mean, who even is Han Solo anyway?

Can it be considered a proper sequel if they've changed actual canon inbetween?


Yes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/29 19:01:58


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





Voss wrote:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
A.T. wrote:
 Lance845 wrote:
Thats only not sympathetic if you expect only a single cookie cutter response to death and ignore her relationship to both the deceased and literally everyone else in the room.
What relationship?


She is part of a tight knit battle unit that is been in the front lines of a battle against Skeletor and his forces for -insert however long this has been going on-. This elite unit includes He-Man, Man at Arms, The Sorceress, Orko, Battlecat. She is the only person in that group who wasn't trusted with the truth. Double blow, the person hiding it from her is in reality her best friend, Adam. Triple blow, Man at Arms is her father. quadruple blow, the Queen who she serves directly is in on it too.
Except that Adam and the rest couldn't tell her. The Sorceress was the one who had them all hide the secret in the first place.

Doesn't mean they had to go along with it.
Especially given the other secret in play with the Sorceress... (which makes the whole thing that much more of a betrayal)
Even in the old show he didn't want to go along with it but did. Knowing he had to because if he did if Skelator or the others managed to wrangle out the secrets it would cause problems for all. So he had to suffer that silence.

What? Seriously, what?
Are you unfamiliar with grief at all? Rage at the person who died is one of the _most common_ human reactions.
Anger is seriously step 2 (or 3 if you hold to the '7 stages of grief' theory instead of 5)
It would be depending on what that sort of reaction.
Her reaction however was "You died and we had to live with it because you didn't tell me your secrets till then". Being locked out of the loop when the guy who died to save you (and comments on that fact) and acting as if you are suffering worse then the guy who *died* just seems completely selfish. Yes it's grief but it doesn't make one sympathetic.



Yes.

Trivial retcons to a side character or even large swaths of 'canon' don't make anything 'not a sequel,' otherwise all comics and many many films/tv shows (star wars, star trek, stargate, Buffy/Angel, etc, etc) are completely invalid.
I suppose this is true. Though acting like a direct sequel while changing direct things is.. always strange to me.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/07/29 19:16:36


 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





I suppose I haven't actually watched the original series in its entirety recently enough to properly understand the emotional state of the characters going into the first episode.... but the original series was really not one in which character interactions drove the plot. It takes a pretty extreme read of the original series for the events of the first episode to leave you feeling betrayed the way Teela does and even then, pinning your main characters primary arc on an obscure reading of 40 year old material isn't a great way to tell a story.
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: