Switch Theme:

I'm conflicted about the new GW fluff...  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Agile Revenant Titan






I thought Knights were irreplacable archaeotech. They can be fixed for the most part if they're wrecked in battle, but humanity doesn't have the capability to produce new ones.

May well be talking out of my backside with that one as I'm not overly familiar with the fluff, but even if it's headcanon that would sort out the issues with why they're not attached as support to other factions.

Either that, the Horus Heresy thing with the splitting of the armed forces, or perhaps they just don't suit the Astartes' method of combat.

As far as I can tell, the Astartes aren't for conventional warfare. They're shock troops that primarily assault via orbital drop in sudden, unexpected strikes at priority targets. Dreads work nicely as heavy support for this as you can fit one in a Drop Pod, and presumably smaller vehicles like the Rhino and Whirlwind are able to be airdropped too.

Now, again I'm unfamiliar with just how Knights get onto the battlefield, but I'm imagining they'll have to be dropped in a designated landing zone and then walk/be transported to the front. That's pretty much entirely at odds with the Astartes' role on the battlefield.

Why they're not suited to Astartes, they are probably well suited to the Guard. However, I doubt the Guard would get them for the same reason they don't get Bolters or even Carapace Armour for the most part. If a Lasgun and Flak Armour is already valued higher than the dude who's using them, you're not going to give him a 50ft tall mech suit.

Check out may pan-Eldar projects http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/702683.page

Also my Rogue Trader-esque spaceport factions http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/709686.page

Oh, and I've come up with a semi-expanded Shadow War idea and need some feedback! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/726439.page

Lastly I contribute to a blog too! http://objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk/ Check it out! It's not just me  
   
Made in us
Wondering Why the Emperor Left




Well first thing is that similarly to Titans knight pilots have to have a certaint degree of mental fortitude to control the machine spirits within their knights. That's something that the average guardsmen isn't up too.
Similarly The whole argument of wouldn't it be great for them to be given to marines or sisters is moot precisely because of what I mentioned before, separation of power and compartmentalization. Most of these Knight houses are not direct vassals like most humans but operate via an agreement like Marines or Mechanicum. Their power comes from a monopoly on Knights so why would they give that power away? Similarly, what would the Imperium want to give knight type systems to the guard regiments, or sisters, or marines vastly expanding their capabilities on the ground? If any of those units went rogue then the Loyalist would have to deal with those knights as well, butt he rebel knights will have infantry support as wel!

Better to keep the organizations safely separate so rebellious elements either don't have super heavy Support or don't have infantry support. Besides it's not like knights are as easy to make as a rhino, they are on par with baneblades in size and complexity and upkeep, which means they are already limited in production scope. Over all the feudal system of military support with which the knights operate is enough to provide the imperium with enough knight chassis for their military needs as is, and it's a system that has existed for more than 10,000 years, it's certainly not something that would change overnight.

Also the knights did exist in the HH time period, they have been seen in black library novels and also extensively in the HH series from FW.

“Victory is not an abstract concept, it is the equation that sits at the heart of strategy. Victory is the will to expend lives and munitions in attack, overmatching the defenders’reserves of manpower and ordnance. As long as my Iron Warriors are willing to pay any price in pursuit of victory, we shall never be defeated.” - The Primarch Perturabo, Master of the Iron Warriors 
   
Made in gb
Agile Revenant Titan






agurus1 wrote:
Well first thing is that similarly to Titans knight pilots have to have a certaint degree of mental fortitude to control the machine spirits within their knights. That's something that the average guardsmen isn't up too.
Similarly The whole argument of wouldn't it be great for them to be given to marines or sisters is moot precisely because of what I mentioned before, separation of power and compartmentalization. Most of these Knight houses are not direct vassals like most humans but operate via an agreement like Marines or Mechanicum. Their power comes from a monopoly on Knights so why would they give that power away? Similarly, what would the Imperium want to give knight type systems to the guard regiments, or sisters, or marines vastly expanding their capabilities on the ground? If any of those units went rogue then the Loyalist would have to deal with those knights as well, butt he rebel knights will have infantry support as wel!

Better to keep the organizations safely separate so rebellious elements either don't have super heavy Support or don't have infantry support. Besides it's not like knights are as easy to make as a rhino, they are on par with baneblades in size and complexity and upkeep, which means they are already limited in production scope. Over all the feudal system of military support with which the knights operate is enough to provide the imperium with enough knight chassis for their military needs as is, and it's a system that has existed for more than 10,000 years, it's certainly not something that would change overnight.

Also the knights did exist in the HH time period, they have been seen in black library novels and also extensively in the HH series from FW.


All of those are solid points.

The only one i would query is the 'mental fortitude' thing. If the Knight Worlds with their comparatively small populations can produce enough pilots then the millions upon millions of worlds of the Guard can certainly produce enough.

Everything else still stands as good points though

Check out may pan-Eldar projects http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/702683.page

Also my Rogue Trader-esque spaceport factions http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/709686.page

Oh, and I've come up with a semi-expanded Shadow War idea and need some feedback! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/726439.page

Lastly I contribute to a blog too! http://objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk/ Check it out! It's not just me  
   
Made in us
Wondering Why the Emperor Left




Well I think the mental fortitude thing is possibly explained in the fluff as a genetic trait at this point as a by product of generations of the same family's operating those machines but I could be wrong. It could even be related to the machine spirit recognizing the distinct mental quirks of a particular family but that more head fluff for me lol

Edit: also as far as the millions and millions of worlds, even with all that only an iota of people are strong enough to control a battle Titan of the Mechanicum, maybe that iota plus another iota could man knight Titans then since they are smaller? But even then half of those are taken to titan training grounds to prove their metal, and the other half likely wallows in obscurity without being found lol.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/19 21:14:44


“Victory is not an abstract concept, it is the equation that sits at the heart of strategy. Victory is the will to expend lives and munitions in attack, overmatching the defenders’reserves of manpower and ordnance. As long as my Iron Warriors are willing to pay any price in pursuit of victory, we shall never be defeated.” - The Primarch Perturabo, Master of the Iron Warriors 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 Ynneadwraith wrote:
agurus1 wrote:
Well first thing is that similarly to Titans knight pilots have to have a certaint degree of mental fortitude to control the machine spirits within their knights. That's something that the average guardsmen isn't up too.
Similarly The whole argument of wouldn't it be great for them to be given to marines or sisters is moot precisely because of what I mentioned before, separation of power and compartmentalization. Most of these Knight houses are not direct vassals like most humans but operate via an agreement like Marines or Mechanicum. Their power comes from a monopoly on Knights so why would they give that power away? Similarly, what would the Imperium want to give knight type systems to the guard regiments, or sisters, or marines vastly expanding their capabilities on the ground? If any of those units went rogue then the Loyalist would have to deal with those knights as well, butt he rebel knights will have infantry support as wel!

Better to keep the organizations safely separate so rebellious elements either don't have super heavy Support or don't have infantry support. Besides it's not like knights are as easy to make as a rhino, they are on par with baneblades in size and complexity and upkeep, which means they are already limited in production scope. Over all the feudal system of military support with which the knights operate is enough to provide the imperium with enough knight chassis for their military needs as is, and it's a system that has existed for more than 10,000 years, it's certainly not something that would change overnight.

Also the knights did exist in the HH time period, they have been seen in black library novels and also extensively in the HH series from FW.


All of those are solid points.

The only one i would query is the 'mental fortitude' thing. If the Knight Worlds with their comparatively small populations can produce enough pilots then the millions upon millions of worlds of the Guard can certainly produce enough.

Everything else still stands as good points though


keep in mind given what we know about knights they seem to shape those whom pilot them into more their liking. hand a guard regiment a dozen knights and before you know it you'd likely have a new knightly order indistingiushable from the rest

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Yokosuka, Japan

GodDamUser wrote:
 argonak wrote:
Because the Imperium of Man (and its subsidiary organizations) is a bureaucratic and feudal theocracy of fanatical luddites.


pretty much that.

But the Knight households originated on Mars and many did colonise the stars as with much of humanity in the Period before the Dark Age of Technology

The Knights have always had close ties with the mechanicum, as they were originally the protectors of the Forges


Unless fluff has changed, the Knights were dark age colonies using a colony defense STC system that had a weird bug in the software that made the drivers act like protective feudal lords. These colonies were contacted by Mars during the pre-imperium days when they were sending out their colony ships. In exchange for assistance in repairing their Knights, the knight world's swore loyalty to Mars, and when Mars swore loyalty to the Emperor, became subsidiaries. Its why they were always in the Titan Legions.

edit: Just read the lexicanum, and it looks like it was retconned at some point. The Adeptus gave the knight world's the Knights. That's an odd retcon to make in my opinion, but ok.

edit2: Ok I actually find this annoying. If the mechanicum gave them the knights, why the hell isn't the mechanicum giving them to anyone else, or using them themselves? The luddite theocracy argument doesn't work since these things are literally coming from the forgeworlds right now.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/06/20 04:50:51


 
   
Made in gb
Agile Revenant Titan






 argonak wrote:
GodDamUser wrote:
 argonak wrote:
Because the Imperium of Man (and its subsidiary organizations) is a bureaucratic and feudal theocracy of fanatical luddites.


pretty much that.

But the Knight households originated on Mars and many did colonise the stars as with much of humanity in the Period before the Dark Age of Technology

The Knights have always had close ties with the mechanicum, as they were originally the protectors of the Forges


Unless fluff has changed, the Knights were dark age colonies using a colony defense STC system that had a weird bug in the software that made the drivers act like protective feudal lords. These colonies were contacted by Mars during the pre-imperium days when they were sending out their colony ships. In exchange for assistance in repairing their Knights, the knight world's swore loyalty to Mars, and when Mars swore loyalty to the Emperor, became subsidiaries. Its why they were always in the Titan Legions.

edit: Just read the lexicanum, and it looks like it was retconned at some point. The Adeptus gave the knight world's the Knights. That's an odd retcon to make in my opinion, but ok.

edit2: Ok I actually find this annoying. If the mechanicum gave them the knights, why the hell isn't the mechanicum giving them to anyone else, or using them themselves? The luddite theocracy argument doesn't work since these things are literally coming from the forgeworlds right now.


Oh man that is a stupid retcon. I'm with you now on the stupidness of Knight fluff. That makes no sense.

I'm just going to headcanon away the stupid and have them back to being DAoT fringe colonies using colony defence STCs. Not only does it just make more sense, but it's a more novel idea too and has more narrative potential.

Check out may pan-Eldar projects http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/702683.page

Also my Rogue Trader-esque spaceport factions http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/709686.page

Oh, and I've come up with a semi-expanded Shadow War idea and need some feedback! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/726439.page

Lastly I contribute to a blog too! http://objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk/ Check it out! It's not just me  
   
Made in us
Wondering Why the Emperor Left




I thought that the Knights were heavy civilian STC machinery for like clearing trees and stuff? Over time after Old Nignt fell, they had to fit them with offensive weaponry to protect their colonies and after that kinda evolved the feudal system we recognize today. Where's the fluff that the Mech gave them the knights?

“Victory is not an abstract concept, it is the equation that sits at the heart of strategy. Victory is the will to expend lives and munitions in attack, overmatching the defenders’reserves of manpower and ordnance. As long as my Iron Warriors are willing to pay any price in pursuit of victory, we shall never be defeated.” - The Primarch Perturabo, Master of the Iron Warriors 
   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





Yokosuka, Japan

agurus1 wrote:
I thought that the Knights were heavy civilian STC machinery for like clearing trees and stuff? Over time after Old Nignt fell, they had to fit them with offensive weaponry to protect their colonies and after that kinda evolved the feudal system we recognize today. Where's the fluff that the Mech gave them the knights?


It's on the lexicanum. It has an oblique mention of the retcon itself.

The most important innovation that the Tech-priests brought to the Knight Worlds were the fighting machines called Knights. These machines were one-man versions of a Titan, much smaller and less powerful than a real Titan, but far better suited to the mobile style of warfare prevalent amongst the nobility of the Knight Worlds.[Needs Citation]



When Knights were introduced in White Dwarf 126, they originated during the Dark Age of Technology from agricultural worlds whose human inhabitants had copied farming techniques learned from Eldar Exodites already present on them. The humans began utilising combat walkers invented by the Eldar and referred to them as "Knights". In a period referred to by the Exodites as The Coming of Men, the xenos and the human colonists clashed in a number of bloody conflicts as the Eldar Knights sought to protect their homes from the colonists.[3]

When these planets were cut off in the Age of Strife a warrior aristocracy rose to prominence amongst its human populations, mimicking the lifestyle of the Eldar Clans. These planets were rediscovered by Rogue Trader Jeffers and brought into the newborn Imperium of Man. Most often Knight Worlds became affiliated with a particular Titan Forge World, supplying it with food and raw materials, whilst its Sacristans would fall under the control of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Other Knight Worlds were left with a large degree of autonomy, required only to produce food and obey the call to arms when it was given.[3]


You're right about the agriculture thing, although i feel like there was an intermediate retcon somewhere too, because I swear there was something about a software bug making them act like feudal lords.

Oh well. I still love silly battlemechs so I can get over it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/06/21 20:37:04


 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





the 7th edition IK codex states that Knight world had knights already. the Lexnicum bit of fluff might be old and out of date lore.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Evasive Pleasureseeker






BrianDavion wrote:
the 7th edition IK codex states that Knight world had knights already. the Lexnicum bit of fluff might be old and out of date lore.
This. The 7th ed codex lines up with:
 argonak wrote:
the Knights were dark age colonies using a colony defense STC system that had a weird bug in the software that made the drivers act like protective feudal lords.

Then when the Emperor did his grand crusade whatnot to reunite humanity the Knight worlds were incorporated into the fold. Some of them ended up swearing fealty to Mars in exchange for tech assistance. Though I will say it is stated that the behavior-altering properties of the Knight technology may be a bug or may be an intentional inclusion to predispose them against being corrupted or turning renegade.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/21 21:08:35


Looking for a balanced Age of Sigmar? Tired of your favorite unit gathering dust because it's bad in Matched Play? Want a discount for not bringing the best possible weapon option? Try Project Points Cost!

PPC points are easily swapped out with those of Matched Play and include all models, unit upgrades, battalions, and terrain warscrolls!

Check it out at: http://ageofwargamers.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





Yokosuka, Japan

Thanks guys, I just dug up my copy and you are right on. It's on page 10. That must have been where I was initially remembering. Nice since that's the fluff I prefer anyway.
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





this is the problem with some of the various 40k wikis out there. there's a lot of old retconned material that they sometimes try to kludge in anyway

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Agile Revenant Titan






 NinthMusketeer wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
the 7th edition IK codex states that Knight world had knights already. the Lexnicum bit of fluff might be old and out of date lore.
This. The 7th ed codex lines up with:
 argonak wrote:
the Knights were dark age colonies using a colony defense STC system that had a weird bug in the software that made the drivers act like protective feudal lords.

Then when the Emperor did his grand crusade whatnot to reunite humanity the Knight worlds were incorporated into the fold. Some of them ended up swearing fealty to Mars in exchange for tech assistance. Though I will say it is stated that the behavior-altering properties of the Knight technology may be a bug or may be an intentional inclusion to predispose them against being corrupted or turning renegade.


Ah good. That's much more believable to me

Also, great job on the software glitch anti-chaos predisposition. Whoever did that piece of work (in-universe) deserves a pat on the back. Worked like a charm...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/22 08:55:48


Check out may pan-Eldar projects http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/702683.page

Also my Rogue Trader-esque spaceport factions http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/709686.page

Oh, and I've come up with a semi-expanded Shadow War idea and need some feedback! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/726439.page

Lastly I contribute to a blog too! http://objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk/ Check it out! It's not just me  
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User





The sole reason the new fluff was written was to sell new models to players. Was this the new "faction" they teased? I don't think I'll ever truly accept Primaris marines in the lore because it shatters the immersion for me. I know that they've only been added in the lore to sell a new product in the real world. They could have "advanced the story" in such better ways but didn't solely because they want to sell the Primaris models. Don't get me wrong, the models look fething amazing. I'm just getting back into the hobby and I'll be using them as Crimson Fists sternguard, heavily converted of course. But never as Primaris, even tho the CF could use reinforcements. They didn't pass the initiation trials of the chapter, they weren't bleeding in New Rynn City, and the fact that the fething Ultramarines (who were in closest proximity during the WAAGH) are shipping them over when they themselves didn't come to the CF's aid makes me not want to use these new models as "Primaris", at all.

They should have just told the truth.
"We've made better looking Space Marine models, and won't be making any more of the old ones, ever. We know you can't un-see the size difference and will, eventually, revamp your entire army."
No need to make a mockery of the lore.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/07/21 23:13:26


 
   
Made in gr
Longtime Dakkanaut




Halandri

Does anyone else feel like Crawl is hugely over performing, similar to Horus during the Crusade?

I can't be the only one who sees this? He is achieving the impossible. Is this due to bad writing, or is he being set up for a fall?
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User





nareik wrote:
Does anyone else feel like Crawl is hugely over performing, similar to Horus during the Crusade?

I can't be the only one who sees this? He is achieving the impossible. Is this due to bad writing, or is he being set up for a fall?


He'll turn to Chaos, and the new army faction they teased will be Dark Mechanicus (unless they meant "Primaris" was the new faction, in which case DERP.) GW will then make primaris-size Chaos kits, plus create new rules for Dark Mechanicus (which will simply use Cult/Skitarii models with different paint schemes, ala Renegades.)

Calling it now.
   
Made in gb
Lurking Gaunt





London

 BunkhouseBuster wrote:
Plus, I had read/heard somewhere (anecdotally as well) about British copyright laws not protecting an "image" after 30 years, which is how old Space Marines are as an aesthetic at that scale. So it might be possible that the Primaris Marines are just different enough in shape/style/image to renew that copyright protection. If that is the case, then these massive aesthetic shakeups make perfect sense from a business perspective - you can't have other people copying and selling your product.


Just because I don't want to see false information take hold, this is unambiguously not true. Whatever you read was completely wrong.

Copyright protection in the UK lasts for fifty or seventy (depending on the type of work) years after the end of the year in which the author dies (and in a joint work, the last living author). It's questionable if a general artistic "idea" of space marines is copyrightable at all under UK law, but any individual instances of a work involving Space Marines which are will not have any risk to their copyright expiring for many, many decades yet.

Design rights cover a shorter period, and might be relevant, but they only last ten years from the first sale (or fifteen years from creation, whichever is shortest) so they're not relevant either.
   
Made in sg
Dakka Veteran





Well, the storm cast eternals have been pretty successful from the looks of it (from a profit standpoint). So, I guess they wanted to introduce a whole range of new "must have" models for the SM players. Considering the sure amount of SM players out there, if all of them even replaces half of their army with the new models, it would be a huge win for GW.
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest





Somewhere.

I think what bugs me about new fluff is it's not terribly origional, even by GW standards.

"We'll move the story along by having Chaos win, right, and it'll all 'Noooo, this is terrible!' and we'll be all, 'but hold on, there's still hope, that guy whose in the backstory prepared for this and he's got these new guys in even cooler armour who you can buy for £40 for five come in and save the day!'

They basically just did age of Sigmar again, and I was annoyed enough about that the first time. Grimgor Ironhide headbutter Archaon until his face imploded and we all know it, GW. Just because you sued someone who was ready for you...

I think what bugs me most, though, is that after 10,000 years of tinkering with the Gene Seed they apparently didn't take out the 'Ewww, girls are icky' gene. I mean, seriously, you'd think that would be a priority more than 'Make them a little taller, it'll really scare those Traitor marines'. I know the Primaris have a few other advantages...but you'd think being able to create twice as many Marines would be more of one.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Yokosuka, Japan

 Jon Garrett wrote:
I think what bugs me about new fluff is it's not terribly origional, even by GW standards.

"We'll move the story along by having Chaos win, right, and it'll all 'Noooo, this is terrible!' and we'll be all, 'but hold on, there's still hope, that guy whose in the backstory prepared for this and he's got these new guys in even cooler armour who you can buy for £40 for five come in and save the day!'

They basically just did age of Sigmar again, and I was annoyed enough about that the first time. Grimgor Ironhide headbutter Archaon until his face imploded and we all know it, GW. Just because you sued someone who was ready for you...

I think what bugs me most, though, is that after 10,000 years of tinkering with the Gene Seed they apparently didn't take out the 'Ewww, girls are icky' gene. I mean, seriously, you'd think that would be a priority more than 'Make them a little taller, it'll really scare those Traitor marines'. I know the Primaris have a few other advantages...but you'd think being able to create twice as many Marines would be more of one.


Marine creation isn't limited by candidates, its limited by geneseed. There's more than enough candidates in the Imperium. Opening it up to females would give no benefit. Not that I would have anything against it if they did. It is science fiction after all.
   
Made in ca
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






I feel your pain man. But I say keep your collection, and use them to relive the days of your childhood. I'm collecting various retro armies specifically for that purpose.

Gwar! wrote:Huh, I had no idea Graham McNeillm Dav Torpe and Pete Haines posted on Dakka. Hi Graham McNeillm Dav Torpe and Pete Haines!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I have an Autograph!


Kanluwen wrote:
Hell, I'm not that bothered by the Stormraven. Why? Because, as it stands right now, it's "limited use".When it's shoehorned in to the Codex: Space Marines, then yeah. I'll be irked.


When I'm editing alot, you know I have a gakload of homework to (not) do. 
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest





Somewhere.

 argonak wrote:


Marine creation isn't limited by candidates, its limited by geneseed. There's more than enough candidates in the Imperium. Opening it up to females would give no benefit. Not that I would have anything against it if they did. It is science fiction after all.


I know that was true of the old Marines - although obviously with more potential candidates, even more rigorous standards could be held, limiting the number of failures and turned to Chaos further - but I'm not as familiar with the fluff about the new ones. I know canidates were important - Chapters get really shirty about loosing the worlds they recruit from for a reason - but Gene Seed issues were the bigger problem. However, I was under the impression that they were able to make more Primaris Gene-Seed far faster than the old Marine ones. I could be wrong about that, though.

Still, it feels like a missed opportunity to modernize the game and start making it so those pictures of Hobby stores don't include eight smiling dudes. Since the old excuse for no female marines was 'Oh, we can't tinker with the Gene-Seed or alter it and, shucks, it only works on guys right now...' that excuse is gone. We know it's been tinkered with again. There's a whole model line dedicated to it.
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 Jon Garrett wrote:
 argonak wrote:


Marine creation isn't limited by candidates, its limited by geneseed. There's more than enough candidates in the Imperium. Opening it up to females would give no benefit. Not that I would have anything against it if they did. It is science fiction after all.


I know that was true of the old Marines - although obviously with more potential candidates, even more rigorous standards could be held, limiting the number of failures and turned to Chaos further - but I'm not as familiar with the fluff about the new ones. I know canidates were important - Chapters get really shirty about loosing the worlds they recruit from for a reason - but Gene Seed issues were the bigger problem. However, I was under the impression that they were able to make more Primaris Gene-Seed far faster than the old Marine ones. I could be wrong about that, though.

Still, it feels like a missed opportunity to modernize the game and start making it so those pictures of Hobby stores don't include eight smiling dudes. Since the old excuse for no female marines was 'Oh, we can't tinker with the Gene-Seed or alter it and, shucks, it only works on guys right now...' that excuse is gone. We know it's been tinkered with again. There's a whole model line dedicated to it.


the most recent pictures are useally a guy and a girl playing, the gender of the little plastic soldiers is pretty meaningless.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut





BrianDavion wrote:
 Jon Garrett wrote:
 argonak wrote:


Marine creation isn't limited by candidates, its limited by geneseed. There's more than enough candidates in the Imperium. Opening it up to females would give no benefit. Not that I would have anything against it if they did. It is science fiction after all.


I know that was true of the old Marines - although obviously with more potential candidates, even more rigorous standards could be held, limiting the number of failures and turned to Chaos further - but I'm not as familiar with the fluff about the new ones. I know canidates were important - Chapters get really shirty about loosing the worlds they recruit from for a reason - but Gene Seed issues were the bigger problem. However, I was under the impression that they were able to make more Primaris Gene-Seed far faster than the old Marine ones. I could be wrong about that, though.

Still, it feels like a missed opportunity to modernize the game and start making it so those pictures of Hobby stores don't include eight smiling dudes. Since the old excuse for no female marines was 'Oh, we can't tinker with the Gene-Seed or alter it and, shucks, it only works on guys right now...' that excuse is gone. We know it's been tinkered with again. There's a whole model line dedicated to it.


the most recent pictures are useally a guy and a girl playing, the gender of the little plastic soldiers is pretty meaningless.


llloooooooll false equivalency much?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/07/29 07:04:14


 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 44Ronin wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
 Jon Garrett wrote:
 argonak wrote:


Marine creation isn't limited by candidates, its limited by geneseed. There's more than enough candidates in the Imperium. Opening it up to females would give no benefit. Not that I would have anything against it if they did. It is science fiction after all.


I know that was true of the old Marines - although obviously with more potential candidates, even more rigorous standards could be held, limiting the number of failures and turned to Chaos further - but I'm not as familiar with the fluff about the new ones. I know canidates were important - Chapters get really shirty about loosing the worlds they recruit from for a reason - but Gene Seed issues were the bigger problem. However, I was under the impression that they were able to make more Primaris Gene-Seed far faster than the old Marine ones. I could be wrong about that, though.

Still, it feels like a missed opportunity to modernize the game and start making it so those pictures of Hobby stores don't include eight smiling dudes. Since the old excuse for no female marines was 'Oh, we can't tinker with the Gene-Seed or alter it and, shucks, it only works on guys right now...' that excuse is gone. We know it's been tinkered with again. There's a whole model line dedicated to it.


the most recent pictures are useally a guy and a girl playing, the gender of the little plastic soldiers is pretty meaningless.


llloooooooll false equivalency much?


I was refering specificly to your "pictures of hobby stores" bit.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut





Identity politics can GTFO

Retcon years of fluff for what>? Shallow gender representation?
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest





Somewhere.

 44Ronin wrote:
Identity politics can GTFO

Retcon years of fluff for what>? Shallow gender representation?


As opposed to the noble reasoning of simply selling more models?

Tell you what - give me one fluff reason why it can't happen, now that we know that Primaris Marines exist and the Gene-Seed can and has been altered. Give me one good reason, in fluff, why it would be a bad idea to increase the number of potential Marines.

I'm not suggesting regular Marines can be girls. It has been well established that regular Marines implode from lethal cooties, and cannot be given shots for it. But the Primaris...well, they're bigger, better, improved. They've been modified from those Marines that start melting when you say 'menstruation'.

If nothing else it would be nice to make them distinct, instead of 'Space Marine Xtreme - So 90's Vanilla Ice Sued Us!' which seems to have been the main design document for their creation.
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 Jon Garrett wrote:
 44Ronin wrote:
Identity politics can GTFO

Retcon years of fluff for what>? Shallow gender representation?


As opposed to the noble reasoning of simply selling more models?

Tell you what - give me one fluff reason why it can't happen, now that we know that Primaris Marines exist and the Gene-Seed can and has been altered. Give me one good reason, in fluff, why it would be a bad idea to increase the number of potential Marines.

I'm not suggesting regular Marines can be girls. It has been well established that regular Marines implode from lethal cooties, and cannot be given shots for it. But the Primaris...well, they're bigger, better, improved. They've been modified from those Marines that start melting when you say 'menstruation'.

If nothing else it would be nice to make them distinct, instead of 'Space Marine Xtreme - So 90's Vanilla Ice Sued Us!' which seems to have been the main design document for their creation.


except part of the faction feel is they they're all men, and that it's a brotherhood etc. adding females to it would dillute it, do I think 40K needs increased female representation? yes, but making space marines eqla gender "CAUSE IT'S 2015!"isn't the answer, the ANSWER IMHO is to give sisters of battle near equal billing.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





North Carolina

 Nerak wrote:
The reason no force isn't given more warmachines, like Space ships for instance, is because of what Horus did with it during the Heresy. During 30k ships, titans and so on where straight up part of the SM legions. Look at Pertubraro and the Iron warriors, he's frequently mentioned as being in direct command of Titans. This was bannad after the Heresy to ensure that no single Imperial organisation body would be able to wreck the havoc Horus did if they where to turn traitor. This does not explain however why there where seemingly no knights part of the original crusades.

What makes the knights unique is that they're crewed by a single individual. Like the dreadnoughts, but bigger, stronger and more versitile. I can see it not being given to the IG, since they're supposed to be kept as reasource effecient as possible, but surely the Astartes, Inquisition or deathwatch should have them available? Or the SoB, the one organisation with the reasources to field vast ammounts of power armoured Troops. Titans and super heavy veichles have big crews in them, which is a limiting factor for the Astartes, but the knights do not have that limitation.

Also if beuarocracy is what's holding it back then why wouldn't the Imperial knight nobles that do service in the Inquisition or the Imperial Guard have brought knights to theese organisations? I realise it's similar to "why doesn't the Imperial Guard use power armour" but that one I can understand. This one I can't.

Edit: Oh and the reason the IG doesn't get the rhino is because it's more expensive and more difficult to keep running. The Chimera and Russ (upon which chassis most tanks are based on) are both very easy to keep running through bad terrain and malfunctions with minimum knowledge of it's workings. How did the saying go... "A Leman russ can run on shoes and bad language" I think.





Actually, the Rhino is a very simple vehicle, capable of being built and maintained by any planet with a half-assed amount of industrial capability if they have the STC. Like the Leman Russ, the Rhino can be made out of commonly available materials and run on any combustible fuel. The only thing that is arguably more advanced than common Guard vehicle kit is the powerplant, and even the Guard has vehicles powered by adaptive thermic combustion reactors.


Rhinos are said to be even easier to maintain and repair than most Imperial Guard vehicles, such as the Chimera, which is tactically superior to the Rhino (Infantry fighting vehicle with better armor and firepower, over a simple, bog-standard "battle taxi" APC).


The only reason for the "exclusivity" fluff is because GW wanted to sell more high-priced models. The Rhino would make sense for the Guard. Hell, they would make sense for local PDFs, since they offer more mileage for the buck (so to speak). The change to exclusivity by GW with the Land Raider was for the same reasons. It's just the fluff reasoning made a bit more sense.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: