Switch Theme:

So... runewars, how's it going?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
[DCM]
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





SoCal

My local FLGS stacked a bunch of RW boxes on the clearance table next to the Mantic Elves. Sadly, the only human or undead box that wasn't discounted was the Rune Golem box.


   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






A small town at the foothills of the beautiful Cascade Mountains

FFG has tons of games - not all of them are going to be winners. I'm glad FFG got all their bad ideas out on Runewars, so hoping they have learned their lessons for Star Wars Legion.

Honestly, the first moment I saw the jigsaw bases, I knew it was a loser.

I'm hoping FFG has hired some real miniature gamers (with 20+ years experience) to show them the ropes.

Mez

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/12/02 22:43:54


***Visit Mezmaron's Lair, my blog....***
40K: Classic 'Cron Raiders Hive Fleet Kraken Alaitoc Craftworld |
FOW:
Polish 1st Armoured Polish 1st Airbourne German Kampfgruppe Knaust |
RK
: Cerci Speed Circuit, Black Diamond Corps | 
   
Made in ca
Preacher of the Emperor




At a Place, Making Dolls Great Again

I got some for Christmas, looks fun, I won't know until I give it a fair shot.

Make Dolls Great Again
Clover/Trump 2016
For the United Shelves of America! 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Myrtle Creek, OR

Speaking of which:

Has FFG already had their Christmas sale?
AND
Was Runewars on it?
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut







 Mezmaron wrote:
Honestly, the first moment I saw the jigsaw bases, I knew it was a loser.


Out of interest, why did you think the jigsaw bases were a problem?

Latest blog post - Unboxing: Oathsworn Miniatures: Burrows & Badgers - New Blood - 29/05/2017

Dakka plog attempt #3 - A miscellany of miniatures

2017's "A Tale of Many Gamers Painting Challenge" - Part 1 - January to June - Time to get your paint on...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.
 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran




Jigsaw bases aren't the problem. FFG writing rules to sell maximum little cardboard cards instead of writing rules for actual gameplay is the problem. X-Wing succeeded despite this, because Star Wars, not because of it, but I don't think FFG has truly realised this yet.

I also wonder why they didn't make an "index" or print-and-play rules for the existing Descent miniatures out there. They are the same universe and scale (?) and would've immediately jumpstarted a scene with much more variety out there (and again, Legion seemingly making it harder, rather than easier, for people to use Imperial Assault stuff, especially at the official FFG promo events at stores, etc.., seems a mistake to me).


This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/12/03 16:51:42


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Omadon's Realm

It's nose-diving.

The black friday sales were full of clearance level deep discount runewars, not 'introductory' or 'offer' but 'we need this gone'.



 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





SoCal

 MeanGreenStompa wrote:
It's nose-diving.

The black friday sales were full of clearance level deep discount runewars, not 'introductory' or 'offer' but 'we need this gone'.


Which Black Friday sales? I would love to help clear out certain minis that need to be gone.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






guessing its gonna be like AoS, really popular in some places, not at all in others.
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





 thekingofkings wrote:
guessing its gonna be like AoS, really popular in some places, not at all in others.
I've yet to really hear any positive places where it's actually thriving. Any people here know of any active runewars area's?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/03 19:34:37


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Quite a few actually, Here for one. MY buddy up in Seattle cant keep it on the shelf in his store, but couldn't give AoS away as a door prize.
   
Made in us
Painting Within the Lines




Seattle, WA USA

Saw some at one of the main LGSes I go to (on the shelf). Never seen anyone playing. Hell, I have the core box I got as swag at last Adepticon, and it's still shrink wrapped.
   
Made in za
Gore Spattered Punk Zombie





South Africa

FLGS has a box on the shelf and tried to push it (probably because FFG is a major supplier for them).

Did not seem to offer any thing KoW didn't, except the baggage that comes with FFG and not the things we all like about KoW.

Thought about getting it for the mini's, but they're not exactly a bargain.


Resurrectionists 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






A small town at the foothills of the beautiful Cascade Mountains

 Dysartes wrote:
 Mezmaron wrote:
Honestly, the first moment I saw the jigsaw bases, I knew it was a loser.


Out of interest, why did you think the jigsaw bases were a problem?


I'm primarily a tabletop miniature gamer, so something gimmicky like that just rubs me the wrong way. The X-Wing card approach gave me a negative feel too. Basically a hot mess for most long-time miniature gamers. Showed that FFG fundamentally misunderstood what miniature wargaming is.

I was wondering whether I was being too hard on it - but you can't argue with failure.

Yes, I realize that Legion will be the same way card wise. But Star Wars. And no jigsaw base gimmick.

Mez

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 2017/12/03 23:21:58


***Visit Mezmaron's Lair, my blog....***
40K: Classic 'Cron Raiders Hive Fleet Kraken Alaitoc Craftworld |
FOW:
Polish 1st Armoured Polish 1st Airbourne German Kampfgruppe Knaust |
RK
: Cerci Speed Circuit, Black Diamond Corps | 
   
Made in us
The Last Chancer Who Survived





Norristown, PA

Never got the game but I kinda liked the idea of the jigsaw bases, seems like it would make it easy to rank stuff up and make units bigger or smaller, rather than having separate movement trays.

I was really close to getting it, the only reason I didn't was cuz I knew I wouldn't have the time to devote to a new game and army, a couple guys in my club were interested but also skipped it for the same reasons. I think though for a game like this to really thrive you need to have several factions fleshed out and ready to play, so you gotta be in it for the long haul and support the game for the several years it will take for you to have enough releases for people to be able to have lots of cool options for building their armies.

So I think if they keep it going for a couple of years you will start to see more people pick it up, but you also need local stores to promote it enough to get players interested. I hope it will stick around, it seems like a good game, just needs to get more players into it.

   
Made in us
Dipping With Wood Stain





San Francisco, CA

About a month ago, my FLGC (Black Diamond Games, Concord CA) put all their stock on deep discount. It wasn't moving, and no local champion had picked it up and agreed to lead the community events. Made me sad, but after a half dozen games, I can say that I like Kings of War much more... So these figures will now be enlisting in those armies...

I play...

Sigh.

Who am I kidding? I only paint these days... 
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

You will never find me at a 40K, AoS or WHFB tournament, but I've been to 3 local Runewars tournaments so far, and fairly enjoyed myself. I have to admit, its made me realize that I enjoy skirmish battles far more than I'll ever enjoy ranked/mass battles - not because of the system, but just because of the nature of ranked/mass battles.

It's definately a small community in our area - barely 6 players at the last tournament. Stock is moving slowly, but it's not stagnant. Which is more than I can say for the local Warmahordes community, which died it appears due to the latest ruleset release. I think a couple of the Warmahordes players actually migrated to the Runewars group (for now).

It never ends well 
   
Made in ca
Preacher of the Emperor




At a Place, Making Dolls Great Again

I plan on unleashing it at my small group in the new year, I like the look of it and will try and spread it out if I click to it.

Make Dolls Great Again
Clover/Trump 2016
For the United Shelves of America! 
   
Made in au
Destructive Daemon Prince





Melbourne .au

Just ordered two starter boxes at 50% off. I may or may not play the actual game sometime, but I've got a large undead KoW army that just got a bunch of new recruits, as well as a fair new additional Basileans.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






A small town at the foothills of the beautiful Cascade Mountains

 Azazelx wrote:
Just ordered two starter boxes at 50% off. I may or may not play the actual game sometime, but I've got a large undead KoW army that just got a bunch of new recruits, as well as a fair new additional Basileans.


Great deal.

I'm waiting for 60-80% off. Not 100% it will get to that point, but I heard they way overprinted for the trickle in sales they are getting.

Mez

***Visit Mezmaron's Lair, my blog....***
40K: Classic 'Cron Raiders Hive Fleet Kraken Alaitoc Craftworld |
FOW:
Polish 1st Armoured Polish 1st Airbourne German Kampfgruppe Knaust |
RK
: Cerci Speed Circuit, Black Diamond Corps | 
   
Made in us
Questioning Maelstrom Believer






Seems like some folk really like to make sweeping judgments based on very little information or experience. You should really give the game a try before hand-waving core mechanics as "gimmicks". The dual dial initiative system combined with templated movement and variable formations have resulted in one of the more interesting and fun gameplay experiences I've seen in fantasy wargaming in decades.

Far from being a gimmick, the jigsaw trays allow units to be constructed to fill multiple roles, with both width and depth having a direct and decisive impact on how combat plays out.

We've got an active local group with plenty of excitement for the upcoming OP Store Championship kits, and our FLGS is regularly hosting multiple games on Friday nights, particularly with the fourth faction release.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/12 21:58:20


 
   
Made in us
The Last Chancer Who Survived





Norristown, PA

Tvayumat wrote:
We've got an active local group with plenty of excitement for the upcoming OP Store Championship kits, and our FLGS is regularly hosting multiple games on Friday nights, particularly with the fourth faction release.


I think that's the key (for any game really). Have a good local store that promotes it, and a local group that is interested & engaged. But it can be tough when one or the other doesn't come together fully.

It's just a new game, it needs a lot of time to grow. I'm hoping to give it a shot sooner or later if I can get back to more regular gaming rather than once in a while and always just demoing my own stuff.

   
Made in us
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor





We have a Sunday play crowd that jumped into it for a month and then dumped thier models. In the end it's really good, but not enough to take away from the other games to establish its own presence.

Its the same dustbin as Infinity, Batman Miniatures, etc. Popular in a few areas but if your local meta isn't already playing it don't bother.

Bender wrote:* Realise that despite the way people talk, this is not a professional sport played by demi gods, but rather a game of toy soldiers played by tired, inebriated human beings.


 lolman1c wrote:
The ork train has no breaks mothersquiggor!
 
   
Made in us
Questioning Maelstrom Believer






 ChargerIIC wrote:
Its the same dustbin as Infinity, Batman Miniatures, etc. Popular in a few areas but if your local meta isn't already playing it don't bother.


Isn't this a self-fulfilling prophesy?

How is any game ever supposed to get a footing if the prevailing advice is "If there isn't already a group, write it off?" (Not trying to strawman your point here, I realize you've already said that those in your area didn't stick with it after trying)

I get that some games fall into this because the rules aren't very good. IMO Batman Minis is in this boat, the rules are (again, IMO) a complete mess that yields a confusing and often counterintuitive game experience. People only really play it if they already love the source material.

In the case of Runewars, the mechanics of the game are fantastic regardless of the coat of paint on top of them. If people don't play it, they'll never know that, though.
   
Made in ie
Been Around the Block




Tvayumat wrote:
 ChargerIIC wrote:
Its the same dustbin as Infinity, Batman Miniatures, etc. Popular in a few areas but if your local meta isn't already playing it don't bother.


Isn't this a self-fulfilling prophesy?

How is any game ever supposed to get a footing if the prevailing advice is "If there isn't already a group, write it off?" (Not trying to strawman your point here, I realize you've already said that those in your area didn't stick with it after trying)

I get that some games fall into this because the rules aren't very good. IMO Batman Minis is in this boat, the rules are (again, IMO) a complete mess that yields a confusing and often counterintuitive game experience. People only really play it if they already love the source material.

In the case of Runewars, the mechanics of the game are fantastic regardless of the coat of paint on top of them. If people don't play it, they'll never know that, though.


I've been wargaming for over thirty years. Taking the attitude you quoted to its logical conclusion I'd have played four - maybe five systems in those decades.

40k levels of popularity are nearly unique. There's only a couple of systems every decade that reach saturation point. Things like 40k, WFB, x-wing, Battletech, Warmachine in their golden years.

Waiting for the next blockbuster means a person will never even stracth the surface of their hobby. They are like a person interested in food who will only eat at McDonald's because that is the most popular food outlet. If they ate elsewhere they mightn't be able to replicate that experience next week in a different town so they don't bother.

Coming from historical games as well as fantasy - sci-fi I find this attitude strange. My Celts have fought under multiple systems. I'll try anything if I get the chance. If it's fun it's fun. Why would I care if other wargamers are playing it or not if me and my group are enjoying our time?
   
Made in us
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor





Tvayumat wrote:
 ChargerIIC wrote:
Its the same dustbin as Infinity, Batman Miniatures, etc. Popular in a few areas but if your local meta isn't already playing it don't bother.


Isn't this a self-fulfilling prophesy?

How is any game ever supposed to get a footing if the prevailing advice is "If there isn't already a group, write it off?" (Not trying to strawman your point here, I realize you've already said that those in your area didn't stick with it after trying)

I get that some games fall into this because the rules aren't very good. IMO Batman Minis is in this boat, the rules are (again, IMO) a complete mess that yields a confusing and often counterintuitive game experience. People only really play it if they already love the source material.

In the case of Runewars, the mechanics of the game are fantastic regardless of the coat of paint on top of them. If people don't play it, they'll never know that, though.


That's true and its a common gamer dilemma. If you want to create (as oppsed to join) a meta you need three things:
1) Your commitment to at least weekly gaming with this game and willingness to teach new players. If there isn't a meta already that means you'll need to do the leading.
2) A FLGS willing to at least let you play the game. Depending on your area this may be a problem or not
3) At least one other person willing to dive in.

My local meta has a strong Team Yankee presence that joins up with another in Oakland precisely because someone managed to get those three things together. The Warmachine meta fell flat because #1 decided to stop.Runewars is nice, but unless you are willing to undertake the commitment and noone else is, you are really just buying a display piece to sit on your shelf.

OP's question was if he should invest in RuneWars. My personal opinion is no. Even if the local meta does well, that game will already be competing with Warhammer Fantasy and Matnic's Excellent Wrath of Kings games. That adds a fourth item to the list: he'd need to be willing to compete against already successful games in his meta.

Bender wrote:* Realise that despite the way people talk, this is not a professional sport played by demi gods, but rather a game of toy soldiers played by tired, inebriated human beings.


 lolman1c wrote:
The ork train has no breaks mothersquiggor!
 
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle




Tampa, FL

Tvayumat wrote:
 ChargerIIC wrote:
Its the same dustbin as Infinity, Batman Miniatures, etc. Popular in a few areas but if your local meta isn't already playing it don't bother.


Isn't this a self-fulfilling prophesy?

How is any game ever supposed to get a footing if the prevailing advice is "If there isn't already a group, write it off?" (Not trying to strawman your point here, I realize you've already said that those in your area didn't stick with it after trying)

I get that some games fall into this because the rules aren't very good. IMO Batman Minis is in this boat, the rules are (again, IMO) a complete mess that yields a confusing and often counterintuitive game experience. People only really play it if they already love the source material.

In the case of Runewars, the mechanics of the game are fantastic regardless of the coat of paint on top of them. If people don't play it, they'll never know that, though.


Yes it is, but one that's far too common. If there's nobody who plays a particular game, nobody wants to buy it because they can't be certain of getting games. I've seen game stores where if the store doesn't stock the game, good luck even trying to get people interested in it or if they do stock it, often it languishes because it's not the ubiquitous 40k or whatnot where you are virtually guaranteed a game. Clubs might be better because you can always bring the game to a club night and show people it, and chances are somebody might be interested. But other games typically never get off the ground without FLGS and community support, which means it's hard as hell sometimes to get non-mainstream games. I know in my area, it's basically 40k only at one store (Warmahordes was going but 8th kinda killed it). They have some minor Kings of War stuff, but Warpath, Deadzone, Malifaux, Walking Dead, etc. are all nonexistent despite being stocked. Infinity I heard they had something going some years ago but it dried up and now they dnt' stock it anymore. Something like Frostgrave or Saga or historical gaming is nonexistent, nobody is interested in them at all because it's not the sort of game you can just buy at a game shop and show up weekly to play.

- Wayne
Formerly WayneTheGame 
   
Made in ie
Been Around the Block




Wayniac wrote:
Tvayumat wrote:
 ChargerIIC wrote:
Its the same dustbin as Infinity, Batman Miniatures, etc. Popular in a few areas but if your local meta isn't already playing it don't bother.


Isn't this a self-fulfilling prophesy?

How is any game ever supposed to get a footing if the prevailing advice is "If there isn't already a group, write it off?" (Not trying to strawman your point here, I realize you've already said that those in your area didn't stick with it after trying)

I get that some games fall into this because the rules aren't very good. IMO Batman Minis is in this boat, the rules are (again, IMO) a complete mess that yields a confusing and often counterintuitive game experience. People only really play it if they already love the source material.

In the case of Runewars, the mechanics of the game are fantastic regardless of the coat of paint on top of them. If people don't play it, they'll never know that, though.


Yes it is, but one that's far too common. If there's nobody who plays a particular game, nobody wants to buy it because they can't be certain of getting games. I've seen game stores where if the store doesn't stock the game, good luck even trying to get people interested in it or if they do stock it, often it languishes because it's not the ubiquitous 40k or whatnot where you are virtually guaranteed a game. Clubs might be better because you can always bring the game to a club night and show people it, and chances are somebody might be interested. But other games typically never get off the ground without FLGS and community support, which means it's hard as hell sometimes to get non-mainstream games. I know in my area, it's basically 40k only at one store (Warmahordes was going but 8th kinda killed it). They have some minor Kings of War stuff, but Warpath, Deadzone, Malifaux, Walking Dead, etc. are all nonexistent despite being stocked. Infinity I heard they had something going some years ago but it dried up and now they dnt' stock it anymore. Something like Frostgrave or Saga or historical gaming is nonexistent, nobody is interested in them at all because it's not the sort of game you can just buy at a game shop and show up weekly to play.


I used to bemoan the fact that FLGS weren't really a thing in any area I've lived in while gaming.

I've realised years ago that you are much better in a gaming club or tight gaming group rather than relying on a shop to host your gaming. The shop is in reality driving your hobby rather than the gamer driving it.

The funny thing is that we are living in a golden age for wargamers. A blizzard of companies and products. And somebody is buying enough to sustain many lines. That means despite these FLGS and player issues these products are hitting boards all over the world.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/14 17:11:07


 
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos




A club or tight gaming group is the way to go yes.

It is also a rarity here in the USA. Most people (pretty much all people I know) rely on the FLGS model, and the FLGS model drives what games you will play.

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle




Tampa, FL

 auticus wrote:
A club or tight gaming group is the way to go yes.

It is also a rarity here in the USA. Most people (pretty much all people I know) rely on the FLGS model, and the FLGS model drives what games you will play.


Absolutely, and very unfortunate. I feel that the age of the FLGS is coming to an end precisely because they dictate what you play, rather than catering to the whim of the player. And too many players are too content to only be willing to look at games that a FLGS will support, rather than look at good games. It also vastly limits the pool of games available to play; in most cases it's Warhammer, maybe Warmachine/Hordes and if you're very lucky something else. In most cases though, things like historical games or more obscure third-party games like Dark Age or whatnot are unknown because they can't be bought at a shop, and nobody is willing to take the chance buying it for fear they may not have anyone to play with.

- Wayne
Formerly WayneTheGame 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: