Switch Theme:

Tau sold out?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 WarOne wrote:
Keep in mind that as Codices have crept forward, more and more has been piled on to add to what has already existed; armies before the end of 4th featured considerably less options than what started to come out at that time.

I look through my 2nd ed Eldar codex and see all kinds of options that do not exist in the current Eldar one.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






Sheffield, City of University and Northern-ness

 spaceelf wrote:
 WarOne wrote:
Keep in mind that as Codices have crept forward, more and more has been piled on to add to what has already existed; armies before the end of 4th featured considerably less options than what started to come out at that time.

I look through my 2nd ed Eldar codex and see all kinds of options that do not exist in the current Eldar one.

That's odd, because he was talking about codices that came out before the end of fourth edition (which ended in 2008) and your current Eldar codex was released in 2006, so the lack of options you're pointing out is before the period he was talking about.
The fact that you have loads of options is irrelevant, as he was talking about an increase in options that came about after the book you were talking about.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 Goliath wrote:
 spaceelf wrote:
 WarOne wrote:
Keep in mind that as Codices have crept forward, more and more has been piled on to add to what has already existed; armies before the end of 4th featured considerably less options than what started to come out at that time.

I look through my 2nd ed Eldar codex and see all kinds of options that do not exist in the current Eldar one.

That's odd, because he was talking about codices that came out before the end of fourth edition (which ended in 2008) and your current Eldar codex was released in 2006, so the lack of options you're pointing out is before the period he was talking about.
The fact that you have loads of options is irrelevant, as he was talking about an increase in options that came about after the book you were talking about.

Correct me if I am wrong, the second edition Eldar codex was released before the end of 4th edition. It had more options than the current codex, thus there was no increase from 2nd ed to the current codex.

My real point is that GW sometimes takes a step backwards. I believe that the lack of a good number of new units in the Tau book is a big step back.

More on topic, it seems that Tau stock is starting to flow. However, it may be a bit late to help FLGS, as some customers may have purchased online or bought from GW.
   
Made in us
Sergeant Major




Fort Worthless, TX

RogueRegault wrote:
 azazel the cat wrote:
spaceelf wrote:As is evident from ChocolateGork's reply, lots of vets are not particularly interested in the revised releases, as they already have the old models. Thus, the release looks like nothing more than a book and a couple of models. Even including the other models, it pales in comparison to Nids, Necrons, and Dark Eldar.

I'd just like to point out that prior to their most recent Codex, the Necrons entire army was as follows:

HQ
Necron Lord
Nightbringer
Deceiver

TROOPS
Warriors

ELITES
Pariahs
Immortals
Flayed Ones

FAST ATTACK
Wraiths
Destroyers
Scarabs

HEAVY SUPPORT
Heavy Destroyers
Tomb Spyder
Monolith

Also of note is the fact that other than a maximum of 100pts of expensive wargear on the Lord, there was zero wargear or customization with these units. So yes, the Necrons got a lot more new stuff in their codex than the Tau did. However, the Tau also had an entire army already, whereas the Necrons had about half the toys everyone else did.


The Tau had one more Troop, one more non-SC HQ, and one less Elite . If the Necron was half an army, the Tau were 3/5ths.


Tau also had a dedicated transport and more HQ chioces and not to mention several vehicles with weapon options and an additional HS choice. Tau had a good sized army where as the necrons army was smaller and mostly useless. And everything cost an arm and a leg. The Necrons needed more models released for them. As far as the Tau the new codex is a lot better (and a bit more complicated, which I like). It didn't need that many models released to make it a full up competative army. The Rip-tide, Razor Shark, new HQs, and Broadside variant are very happy editions to my Tau army. I also love the plastic pathfinders. The metal pathfinders with the rail rifle were such a pain.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/14 17:04:47


GW - If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






More on topic, it seems that Tau stock is starting to flow. However, it may be a bit late to help FLGS, as some customers may have purchased online or bought from GW.


Ironic, is it not?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/14 17:04:46


Adam's Motto: Paint, Create, Play, but above all, have fun. -and for something silly below-

"We are the Ultramodrines, And We Shall Fear No Trolls. bear this USR with pride".

Also, how does one apply to be a member of the Ultramodrines? Are harsh trials involved, ones that would test my faith as a wargamer and resolve as a geek?

You must recite every rule of Dakka Dakka. BACKWARDS.
 
   
Made in us
Shas'la with Pulse Carbine






Arizona

Damn, here I was hoping that the massive sales would finally tell GW to keep updating the damn codex instead of leaving us with a codex full of useless units (vespid, sky rays, sniper teams, shadowsun, kroot, ethereals leap to mind). Instead they're pulling a tabletop version of the anti-secondary games market thing microsoft and sony have been trying for years.

DC:90S++G+M+B++I+Pw40k05#-D++A++/areWD-R+++T(P)DM+
Power Rangers Fandex, CC welcome  
   
Made in us
Sniping Reverend Moira





Cincinnati, Ohio

Have you looked at the new codex? Half the gak you listed is now playable to very good.

 
   
Made in au
Hacking Proxy Mk.1





Australia

 dbsamurai wrote:
Damn, here I was hoping that the massive sales would finally tell GW to keep updating the damn codex instead of leaving us with a codex full of useless units (vespid, sky rays, sniper teams, shadowsun, kroot, ethereals leap to mind). Instead they're pulling a tabletop version of the anti-secondary games market thing microsoft and sony have been trying for years.


But it seems quite clear now it wasn't massive sales, it was lack of stock. In the High Elf thread there is already a rumour that the HE stock will be in somewhat short supply too.

 Fafnir wrote:
Oh, I certainly vote with my dollar, but the problem is that that is not enough. The problem with the 'vote with your dollar' response is that it doesn't take into account why we're not buying the product. I want to enjoy 40k enough to buy back in. It was my introduction to traditional games, and there was a time when I enjoyed it very much. I want to buy 40k, but Gamesworkshop is doing their very best to push me away, and simply not buying their product won't tell them that.
 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Decrepit Dakkanaut




UK

It stands to reason if they are releasing codex/army books at twice the rate (or more) that they previously had that they might not be able to ramp up their production to match especially in the short term of the 'rush to buy' the new book creates

I suspect they will provide most stores with more than the minimum guaranteed, and they've put it in just to cover themselves in case they do have major stock issues

 
   
Made in us
Sniping Reverend Moira





Cincinnati, Ohio

My FLGS owner told me yesterday that, after talking to his GW Rep, there is apparently some sort of larger issue than the simple supply chain. The GW rep didn't go further into it, but it certainly made me curious.

 
   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Satellite of Love

I'm starting to see more Tau models this week in GW shops. GW Bowie Battle Bunker got a bunch of Tau Codex books plus 4 Riptides and 3 Broadsides this week. Another GW store in Maryland announced on Facebook that they had Broadsides and Riptides. Additionally, http://www.spikeybits.com/servlet/StoreFront has been able to fill some Tau mail orders again. However, it will still probably be a few weeks till one sees regular stocks of all Tau items on store shelves.

"I hate movies where the men wear shorter skirts than the women." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
"Elements of the past and the future combining to create something not quite as good as either." -- The Mighty Boosh
Check out Cinematic Titanic, the new movie riffing project from Joel Hodgson and the original cast of MST3K.
See my latest eBay auctions at this link.
"We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. You have our gratitude!" - Kentucky Fried Movie 
   
Made in us
Sniping Reverend Moira





Cincinnati, Ohio

 BrassScorpion wrote:
I'm starting to see more Tau models this week in GW shops. GW Bowie Battle Bunker got a bunch of Tau Codex books plus 4 Riptides and 3 Broadsides this week. Another GW store in Maryland announced on Facebook that they had Broadsides and Riptides. Additionally, http://www.spikeybits.com/servlet/StoreFront has been able to fill some Tau mail orders again. However, it will still probably be a few weeks till one sees regular stocks of all Tau items on store shelves.


Same here in Cincinnati.

What was more curious was the fact that some of the Finecast hero selections are now showing 6-7 week shipping time on GWs website. Did someone eff up all the moulds?

 
   
Made in us
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman




Virginia

Has anyone had any luck with online retailers such as Miniature Market or Spikey Bits? As far as I know MM still has no idea when they'll supplied.

4000ish points of mixed regiment and abhuman IG
3000ish points of Blood Angels
2000ish points of Tau
2000ish points of Space Wolves
 
   
Made in us
Focused Fire Warrior





My FLGS in the US is finally getting their first shipment of Riptides this week (supposedly).

Thank goodness, because I've been dying to get that model together and play with it!



Check out my modeling albums: http://yotsubasnake.imgur.com/ 
   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Satellite of Love

 dario wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with online retailers such as Miniature Market or Spikey Bits? As far as I know MM still has no idea when they'll supplied.
Oh yeah, I have great luck with R. Baer's Spikey Bits. I have a shipment of some Tau stuff arriving tomorrow. http://www.spikeybits.com/servlet/StoreFront

And if you're ever in the Richmond, VA area stop by Rob Baer's brick and mortar store, FTW Games, it's terrific. http://www.ftwgames.net/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2013/04/25 16:09:13


"I hate movies where the men wear shorter skirts than the women." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
"Elements of the past and the future combining to create something not quite as good as either." -- The Mighty Boosh
Check out Cinematic Titanic, the new movie riffing project from Joel Hodgson and the original cast of MST3K.
See my latest eBay auctions at this link.
"We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. You have our gratitude!" - Kentucky Fried Movie 
   
Made in us
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman




Virginia

 BrassScorpion wrote:
 dario wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with online retailers such as Miniature Market or Spikey Bits? As far as I know MM still has no idea when they'll supplied.
Oh yeah, I have great luck with R. Baer's Spikey Bits. I have a shipment of some Tau stuff arriving tomorrow. http://www.spikeybits.com/servlet/StoreFront

And if you're ever in the Richmond, VA area stop by Rob Baer's brick and mortar store, FTW Games, it's terrific. http://www.ftwgames.net/


His place isn't in downtown Richmond is it? I go there from time to time to see my brother.

I ordered a lot of Tau stuff from Miniature Market about two weeks ago and they still haven't received the new stock. I'm tempted to just cancel the preordered stuff and order from some place else but ultimately I don't want to make them lose money because of GW's incompetence.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/25 16:24:05


4000ish points of mixed regiment and abhuman IG
3000ish points of Blood Angels
2000ish points of Tau
2000ish points of Space Wolves
 
   
Made in us
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker





LaPorte, IN

I'm even more convinced that this "shortage" crap is an intentional attack on discount retailers. GW stores aren't having trouble in the area stocking Tau but MM, can't get a resupply.
   
Made in us
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman




Virginia

I agree. I'll just have to keep supporting them until GW runs them out of the market.

4000ish points of mixed regiment and abhuman IG
3000ish points of Blood Angels
2000ish points of Tau
2000ish points of Space Wolves
 
   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Satellite of Love

His place isn't in downtown Richmond is it?
It's in Midlothian.

FTW Games
13176 Midlothian Turnpike
Midlothian, VA 23113
(804) 464-1873

"I hate movies where the men wear shorter skirts than the women." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
"Elements of the past and the future combining to create something not quite as good as either." -- The Mighty Boosh
Check out Cinematic Titanic, the new movie riffing project from Joel Hodgson and the original cast of MST3K.
See my latest eBay auctions at this link.
"We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. You have our gratitude!" - Kentucky Fried Movie 
   
Made in us
Annoyed Blood Angel Devastator





Minnesota, USA

I was contacted by my EBay supplier and he was informed that he would not be receiving the Tau Commander kits. Apparently they were all so screwed up from a bad mold that GW has recalled the model. There won't be any on the market till a new batch is made and sent out. My farsighted however is finally in stock.

3rd Edition Blood Angel player, brought back to the game...
2500 pts 
   
Made in us
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker





LaPorte, IN

I saw someone purchase the commander model and it appeared fine to me. Still not sure why GW didn't go the plastic route with those two kits though. Seems really impractical to have those cast in resin, I know I will never purchase one.
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 NecronLord3 wrote:
I'm even more convinced that this "shortage" crap is an intentional attack on discount retailers. GW stores aren't having trouble in the area stocking Tau but MM, can't get a resupply.

That might be the case in your area, but it certainly isn't the case in mine. The local GW has only had a grand total of four Riptides pass through; and one of those was a website order that got shipped to the local store for pick-up.
   
Made in pe
Annoyed Blood Angel Devastator




Tucson, AZ, USA

Pyronick wrote:I was contacted by my EBay supplier and he was informed that he would not be receiving the Tau Commander kits. Apparently they were all so screwed up from a bad mold that GW has recalled the model. There won't be any on the market till a new batch is made and sent out. My farsighted however is finally in stock.


This may well be the case as on the UK GW website it's the only model showing one to two weeks delivery, all the others including Farsight ad Longstrike are on 24 hours, and I ordered earlier today and they have been dispatched already.

Kanluwen wrote:
 NecronLord3 wrote:
I'm even more convinced that this "shortage" crap is an intentional attack on discount retailers. GW stores aren't having trouble in the area stocking Tau but MM, can't get a resupply.

That might be the case in your area, but it certainly isn't the case in mine. The local GW has only had a grand total of four Riptides pass through; and one of those was a website order that got shipped to the local store for pick-up.


Agreed Kan, my UK GW where I get my stuff sent to, before out to Peru where I live, also had very few Riptides, Commanders etc, maybe 3 to 5 or each, and were struggling to get replacement stock.

Definitely a major production problem rather than trying to screw over independent retailers. If it happens again with the next major army, WFB or 40K I won't be so convinced though.

Check out my random but mostly Blood Angel WIP thread here : http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/305366.page
And my new adventures in NMM thread here :
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/479187.page#4845859 
   
Made in us
Focused Fire Warrior





Florida

 alexneufeld wrote:
Pyronick wrote:I was contacted by my EBay supplier and he was informed that he would not be receiving the Tau Commander kits. Apparently they were all so screwed up from a bad mold that GW has recalled the model. There won't be any on the market till a new batch is made and sent out. My farsighted however is finally in stock.


This may well be the case as on the UK GW website it's the only model showing one to two weeks delivery, all the others including Farsight ad Longstrike are on 24 hours, and I ordered earlier today and they have been dispatched already.

Kanluwen wrote:
 NecronLord3 wrote:
I'm even more convinced that this "shortage" crap is an intentional attack on discount retailers. GW stores aren't having trouble in the area stocking Tau but MM, can't get a resupply.

That might be the case in your area, but it certainly isn't the case in mine. The local GW has only had a grand total of four Riptides pass through; and one of those was a website order that got shipped to the local store for pick-up.


Agreed Kan, my UK GW where I get my stuff sent to, before out to Peru where I live, also had very few Riptides, Commanders etc, maybe 3 to 5 or each, and were struggling to get replacement stock.

Definitely a major production problem rather than trying to screw over independent retailers. If it happens again with the next major army, WFB or 40K I won't be so convinced though.


Interestingly enough, I made an order from GW's website on Monday for Darkstrider and a Commander (as both showed "Ships within 24 hours"), and got an e-mail on Wednesday saying that my order was on hold because of backorder. It wasn't the Commander, but Darkstrider that had the backorder...

The US website still has the Commander available, but now has Darkstrider slated for 2-3 weeks, but the customer service rep stated that May 6th is expected availability date. All sorts of screwy with GW, it seems, and from the sounds of it, definitely not what GW planned.

- 4300pts.
- 2500pts.
- 4500pts.
- 2000

DQ:80-S++G+M++B++I+Pw40k11+D++A+++/areWD-R+T(S)DM+ 
   
Made in us
Hunter with Harpoon Laucher




Castle Clarkenstein

I usually place an initial order for product mondays, and then on wednesday add to it based on last minute buzz and additional pre-orders. I ended up getting all of my monday order, and last week most of my wednesday order came in from the restock the warehouse got. Not all of it, as I'm still out of all the finecast.

But i did get in a good supply of broadsides, riptides, the flyer, and pathfinders. Codices have not gone out of stock.

I've been asked for my numbers on High Elves, and told that they may have to allocate. I don't expect there to be the same heat on High Elves as there was on Tau. But Eldar will be a problem, i am thinking.

....and lo!.....The Age of Sigmar came to an end when Saint Veetock and his hamster legions smote the false Sigmar and destroyed the bubbleverse and lead the true believers back to the Old World.
 
   
Made in ca
Horrific Horror





I thought people boycotting GW because of prices.

I mean Its one of the most expensive releases and they sold out completley...
   
Made in us
Focused Fire Warrior





Florida

mikhaila wrote:I usually place an initial order for product mondays, and then on wednesday add to it based on last minute buzz and additional pre-orders. I ended up getting all of my monday order, and last week most of my wednesday order came in from the restock the warehouse got. Not all of it, as I'm still out of all the finecast.

But i did get in a good supply of broadsides, riptides, the flyer, and pathfinders. Codices have not gone out of stock.

I've been asked for my numbers on High Elves, and told that they may have to allocate. I don't expect there to be the same heat on High Elves as there was on Tau. But Eldar will be a problem, i am thinking.


I'm not all too familiar with WHFB, but I wouldn't expect High Elves to be as popular, either. From my (limited) experience, it seems that 1: Fantasy is not quite as popular as 40k, and 2: It was somewhere around 7 years since Tau had been updated...GW simply screwed the pooch on this one, whether it be because of underestimating the demand or genuine manufacturing and/or supply line failures, or a bit of both.

DAWARBOSS wrote:I thought people boycotting GW because of prices.

I mean Its one of the most expensive releases and they sold out completley...


As I mentioned above, a combination of old codex and GW screwing up caused this. Never mind that considering that a good majority of the 40k fan base gets the "Oooh, shinies," and snatches things up like a rabid crack addict finding their next fix whenever GW releases a new product.

- 4300pts.
- 2500pts.
- 4500pts.
- 2000

DQ:80-S++G+M++B++I+Pw40k11+D++A+++/areWD-R+T(S)DM+ 
   
Made in us
Ancient Chaos Terminator





Satellite of Love

 DAWARBOSS wrote:
I thought people boycotting GW because of prices.

I mean Its one of the most expensive releases and they sold out completley...
They not only sold out of all the newest items for weeks, they also sold out of all the stocks of previously existing models like Firewarriors, Stealth Suits, etc. The $85 US price point did not seem a hindrance to selling out of Riptides at all, people can't get enough of them. There are still no Firewarriors at my local GW Bowie Battle Bunker.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2013/04/26 03:28:52


"I hate movies where the men wear shorter skirts than the women." -- Mystery Science Theater 3000
"Elements of the past and the future combining to create something not quite as good as either." -- The Mighty Boosh
Check out Cinematic Titanic, the new movie riffing project from Joel Hodgson and the original cast of MST3K.
See my latest eBay auctions at this link.
"We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. You have our gratitude!" - Kentucky Fried Movie 
   
Made in us
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker





LaPorte, IN

Yeah, GW just happens to sell out of an existing box set that hasn't been updated in over 6 years? So will the Riptides be available by 2019, as there appears to be a 6 year lead time on these Tau kits?
   
Made in de
Decrepit Dakkanaut







 mikhaila wrote:
Not all of it, as I'm still out of all the finecast.

Are you sure that you will get the Finecast? Because officially it is now mail order only, after the first run sold out.

Hive Fleet Ouroboros (my Tyranid blog): http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/286852.page
The Dusk-Wraiths of Szith Morcane (my Dark Eldar blog): http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/364786.page
Kroothawk's Malifaux Blog http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/455759.page
If you want to understand the concept of the "Greater Good", read this article, and you never again call Tau commies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: