Switch Theme:

Blood Bowl News & Rumors: p#106 new star player minis  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Missionary On A Mission





LA

The undead team is being sold with slot bases instead of flat ones and the team is not intended for those. Just an annoyance cause now the slots have to be filled on all the bases. Please don't do that next time GW, if the models dont use the slots then put some normal 32mm bases in the box instead.

 
   
Made in us
Hooded Inquisitorial Interrogator





 Thargrim wrote:
The undead team is being sold with slot bases instead of flat ones and the team is not intended for those. Just an annoyance cause now the slots have to be filled on all the bases. Please don't do that next time GW, if the models dont use the slots then put some normal 32mm bases in the box instead.


That is super frustrating. The Chaos team has little bits on their feet that fit into the slot, but don't fill the whole slot in, and having the green stuff it in for every miniature was incredibly obnoxious. I'll have two boxes of bases to fill in when I get mine : (.

   
Made in vn
Dakka Veteran




They use the blood bowl base so that you have the hole for ball carry.

But if this is their new direction then I expect them to fill the slot on the base, and leave the hole, they did this to a lot of their slot base to repurpose them as normal base.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Virginia

 TBD wrote:
zamerion wrote:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/Blood-Bowl-Orc-Booster-2018

Orc booster!


I'm not going to pay €31,- for three resin alternate poses and a useless Thrower. Why noy include a fourth Blitzer instead of that fething Thrower?? This seems like a pretty useless product.

^ This x 100. This was seriously my first thought, just silly. I converted the two throwers from the base team into blitzers because orc throwers are terrible.
   
Made in gb
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer






 Fajita Fan wrote:
 TBD wrote:
zamerion wrote:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/Blood-Bowl-Orc-Booster-2018

Orc booster!


I'm not going to pay €31,- for three resin alternate poses and a useless Thrower. Why noy include a fourth Blitzer instead of that fething Thrower?? This seems like a pretty useless product.

^ This x 100. This was seriously my first thought, just silly. I converted the two throwers from the base team into blitzers because orc throwers are terrible.


Yeah, that's pretty hopeless. Ever since the year dot I've only ever used 1 thrower. And even then not 100% of the time. Why would I want 3? (Assuming I've got the Orc box set from the game).

Better plan (which is what I've just done), is take the Orcs from the boxed game as your base, and go to a bitz site and buy a couple of Orc command warriors and a couple of Black Orc warriors and cut the weapons off.
From the same site I also picked up a goblin.

I also bought some Saurus and Skinks on ebay and with the weapons off and some Anvil shoulder pads added they are Blood Bowl ready!
   
Made in no
[DCM]
Necron of Munda





Converting your own team is fun and all, we never needed these new minis to play any teams. But when they do make the teams, I think it is valuable to be able to get the complete team also without converting or mixing and matching different styles.

The 3rd thrower is not supposed to be added to the existing box, but instead replaces one of the existing (duplicate) throwers so you get 2 unique thrower sculpts. As you point out, that's hardly ever relevant. Some might argue if you have 2 throwers, you're doing something wrong. For those very few who do use 2 throwers, there's an even smaller portion that want unique sculpts for those throwers. It is a disaster they decided to satisfy that 1 person, instead of 100% of orc players who want 4 black orcs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/13 12:18:55


 
   
Made in gb
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer






Baxx wrote:
Converting your own team is fun and all, we never needed these new minis to play any teams. But when they do make the teams, I think it is valuable to be able to get the complete team also without converting or mixing and matching different styles.

The 3rd thrower is not supposed to be added to the existing box, but instead replaces one of the existing (duplicate) throwers so you get 2 unique thrower sculpts. As you point out, that's hardly ever relevant. Some might argue if you have 2 throwers, you're doing something wrong. For those very few who do use 2 throwers, there's an even smaller portion that want unique sculpts for those throwers. It is a disaster they decided to satisfy that 1 person, instead of 100% of orc players who want 4 black orcs.


I may change my mind once I play the newest version, but I always thought the ideal balance was 4 blitzers, 3 Black orcs and 1 thrower. Maybe throw in a gobbo against teams with low mobility and the rest Lineorcs.

So the standard team plus this Orc booster doesn't help that at all!

I don't care, I've got the bits I need now and with a bit of cutting and sticking I should be able to make 4 unique blitzers and 4 unique blockers out of the extras I've bought plus the team from the boxed game. Exciting times!

It used to be the same in the 'old days', too. The boxed team never had enough of what you really wanted so you ended up converting or mix and matching sets. So this is not a new complaint.
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran





JimmyWolf87 wrote:
Based on their interactions on the Twitch streams etc. they are fairly aware of which teams would be popular/make sense. From my experience, Lizardmen are basically the one with the most support (to the extent that it's almost a meme on official BB chat) with Wood Elves being close behind (plus they see a lot of time on the table as they're a top tier Team).

High Elves need doing but are probably the least enjoyed of the 4 Elf races. After that... who knows? They want to mess around with a few rosters (ala the new Goblin positionals) which Halflings and maybe Ogres seem prime candidates for. Maybe even Vampires.

They have categorically said no Stormcast. To the eternal joy of the majority.


No Stormcast? I am glad the people in charge have still some brains left.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
zamerion wrote:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NL/Blood-Bowl-Orc-Booster-2018

Orc booster!


So you end up with three throwers when only two are allowed? Good job, GW.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/13 15:52:35


 
   
Made in no
[DCM]
Necron of Munda





 RobS wrote:

I may change my mind once I play the newest version, but I always thought the ideal balance was 4 blitzers, 3 Black orcs and 1 thrower. Maybe throw in a gobbo against teams with low mobility and the rest Lineorcs.

So the standard team plus this Orc booster doesn't help that at all!

I don't care, I've got the bits I need now and with a bit of cutting and sticking I should be able to make 4 unique blitzers and 4 unique blockers out of the extras I've bought plus the team from the boxed game. Exciting times!

It used to be the same in the 'old days', too. The boxed team never had enough of what you really wanted so you ended up converting or mix and matching sets. So this is not a new complaint.

Never seen anyone play without 4 black orcs and 4 blitzers (unless some are injured). Troll, Goblins and Thrower is debatable, pretty sure blitzers and black orcs are not.

I care, still have 2 unfinished teams (since november 2016 and early 2017) I need to fill out, something that requires 4 orc booster packs...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/13 16:28:52


 
   
Made in gb
Warning From Magnus? Not Listening!





Rampton, UK

I just went down to WW today and when I realised that there was only one blitzer the chap behind the counters says " two packs ? " and gives me a cheeky smile.

I had to reply with " no packs im afraid this is useless to me", I dont know how I missed that it wasn't two blizters, its a joke that we have a clam pack and still not a full team and still no decent troll.

I have never known anyone not to use all four blitzers in an orc team for about twenty years or more, its pretty useless.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/14 19:27:58


 
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut





You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams (all except Chaos?), and now they are taking it a step further by trying to make us buy three boxes, two of which are individually more expensive than the (plastic) extra one you'd normally get.

Of course it's all optional and you don't HAVE to buy anything from FW but as far as I'm concerned it still stinks and they can shove this product where the sun don't shine



 
   
Made in vn
Dakka Veteran




Dwarf also have the full team. I think sculptor for plastic kit made an okay job given the limited fund and sprue space they had. Except for the Goblin team, very lazily made.
   
Made in gb
Imperial Admiral





Glasgow

 TBD wrote:
You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams

If they'd put the four blitzers and blockers that people wanted you'd have a box with only two linemen and you'd still be complaining about having to buy a second box.
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:
You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams

If they'd put the four blitzers and blockers that people wanted you'd have a box with only two linemen and you'd still be complaining about having to buy a second box.


You know they could just have produced a slightly more expensive box with the whole team in it right?




 
   
Made in gb
Warning From Magnus? Not Listening!





Rampton, UK

 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:
You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams

If they'd put the four blitzers and blockers that people wanted you'd have a box with only two linemen and you'd still be complaining about having to buy a second box.



I think we are entitled to a bit of a moan, they didnt put a full team in the box on purpose ( they knew the optimum setup that 99% of people use for Orcs ) and now they want me to buy two clampacks, each costing as much as the full team just to finish it off.

I know a few that didnt bother buying BB because they said this would happen, I dont play orc much so it doesnt bother me that much and besides GW still got some money out of me buying some FW stuff instead as I am a sucker lol
   
Made in gb
Imperial Admiral





Glasgow

 TBD wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:
You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams

If they'd put the four blitzers and blockers that people wanted you'd have a box with only two linemen and you'd still be complaining about having to buy a second box.


You know they could just have produced a slightly more expensive box with the whole team in it right?


How, exactly?

Making the sprue slightly larger means they have to push production to one of the machines that's supposed to be making sprues that are twice as big (and which are in very high demand). Machine time is a big portion of the cost. If they had to use the more expensive equipment and bump other stuff to get a production slot then we probably wouldn't be getting plastic teams.

Making an additional different sprue for positionals doubles the cost of the box.

Please explain your plan here.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Rayvon wrote:

I think we are entitled to a bit of a moan, they didnt put a full team in the box on purpose ( they knew the optimum setup that 99% of people use for Orcs ) and now they want me to buy two clampacks, each costing as much as the full team just to finish it off.

I know a few that didnt bother buying BB because they said this would happen, I dont play orc much so it doesnt bother me that much and besides GW still got some money out of me buying some FW stuff instead as I am a sucker lol


Why would you buy two of the FW boxes when, as you say, it's half the price to buy an extra team box. If you care about pose variety then you'll be spending £60-120 on a 3rd party team with all unique poses anyway.

I'm also not sure why buying two boxes is a problem when two team boxes is still cheaper than 3rd party teams.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2018/12/15 10:32:42


 
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:
You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams

If they'd put the four blitzers and blockers that people wanted you'd have a box with only two linemen and you'd still be complaining about having to buy a second box.


You know they could just have produced a slightly more expensive box with the whole team in it right?


How, exactly?

Making the sprue slightly larger means they have to push production to one of the machines that's supposed to be making sprues that are twice as big (and which are in very high demand). Machine time is a big portion of the cost. If they had to use the more expensive equipment and bump other stuff to get a production slot then we probably wouldn't be getting plastic teams.

Making an additional different sprue for positionals doubles the cost of the box.

Please explain your plan here.


That's a nice story and exactly what GW hopes naive people to believe, but in reality they can easily design the sprue slightly different.

If they can do it for Necromunda they can do it for Blood Bowl. It really isn't that complicated.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
I'm also not sure why buying two boxes is a problem when two team boxes is still cheaper than 3rd party teams.


We are not saying it is a problem but we are aknowledging it is a deliberate choice by GW to squeeze more money out of the customer base.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/15 11:13:13




 
   
Made in gb
Grumpy Longbeard





Yes, they could have made the minis smaller, or dropped the team tokens, or just put three sprues in a box, but I’m not sure how you can say look at Necromunda and how they packed five minis onto each sprue when no blood bowl sprue has had less than six?

"Three months? I'm going to go crazy …and I'm taking you with me!"
— Vala Mal Doran
 
   
Made in us
Revenant Pirate Crew






The Necromunda thread constantly complains about the lack of full options on their sprues as well.

 
   
Made in no
[DCM]
Necron of Munda





 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:
You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams

If they'd put the four blitzers and blockers that people wanted you'd have a box with only two linemen and you'd still be complaining about having to buy a second box.

Why? Who needs more than 2 line orcs anyway?
   
Made in gb
Imperial Admiral





Glasgow

 TBD wrote:

in reality they can easily design the sprue slightly different.

Slightly differently in what way?
   
Made in de
Primus





Rhein Main Gebiet

 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:

in reality they can easily design the sprue slightly different.

Slightly differently in what way?


If the models were designed to be flat and lifeless I am sure that the whole team could have fitted onto the sprue, it would be easier for certain malcontents to moan about as well.

"What do you want?"
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Morden and Vir, In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum 
   
Made in gb
Warning From Magnus? Not Listening!





Rampton, UK

 Scott-S6 wrote:


Why would you buy two of the FW boxes when, as you say, it's half the price to buy an extra team box. If you care about pose variety then you'll be spending £60-120 on a 3rd party team with all unique poses anyway.

I'm also not sure why buying two boxes is a problem when two team boxes is still cheaper than 3rd party teams.



They are not one of the teams I play regularly but it would have been nice to get a full team without having to buy two of anything, most players use a gobbo or two and a troll, I just think that they could have made better sprues and much better clam packs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/15 18:30:51


 
   
Made in gb
Imperial Admiral





Glasgow

 StygianBeach wrote:

If the models were designed to be flat and lifeless I am sure that the whole team could have fitted onto the sprue, it would be easier for certain malcontents to moan about as well.

I'd much rather buy two boxes of nice models than one box of horrible models. I had more than enough of that during the Gary Morley era...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Rayvon wrote:

They are not one of the teams I play regularly but it would have been nice to get a full team without having to buy two of anything, most players use a gobbo or two and a troll, I just think that they could have made better sprues and much better clam packs.

I can't argue about the clam packs - they are indefensible.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/12/15 19:33:43


 
   
Made in ca
Resolute Ultramarine Honor Guard






Vancouver, BC

All the boosters have had 3 positionals, no? 2 of one, one of two others? With the exception of goblins, of course, but goblins don't really have positionals in the traditional sense.

Humans are 2 Blitzers, a Catcher and a Thrower
Orcs are 2 Black Orcs, a Blitzer and a Thrower
Skaven are 2 Assassins, a Blitzer and a thrower.

Of course, all the Human and Skaven team really needed were the two blitzers/assassins in their box, while the Orc team needed 2 BO and 2 Blitzers. Guess they got it a bit rougher than other teams.

 warboss wrote:
Is there a permanent stickied thread for Chaos players to complain every time someone/anyone gets models or rules besides them? If not, there should be.
 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran





 TBD wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:
You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams

If they'd put the four blitzers and blockers that people wanted you'd have a box with only two linemen and you'd still be complaining about having to buy a second box.


You know they could just have produced a slightly more expensive box with the whole team in it right?



That would have required common sense. Can't have this even in 2018.
   
Made in ca
Resolute Ultramarine Honor Guard






Vancouver, BC

 Strg Alt wrote:
 TBD wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
 TBD wrote:
You can bet GW knows damn well what lineups people play and they already intentionally made the boxes so you have to buy two of them for most teams

If they'd put the four blitzers and blockers that people wanted you'd have a box with only two linemen and you'd still be complaining about having to buy a second box.


You know they could just have produced a slightly more expensive box with the whole team in it right?



That would have required common sense. Can't have this even in 2018.


Sure, they could do 12 dudes for 40 or 24 dudes for 80.

 warboss wrote:
Is there a permanent stickied thread for Chaos players to complain every time someone/anyone gets models or rules besides them? If not, there should be.
 
   
Made in vn
Dakka Veteran




"Why didn't GW make an extra sprue for kits" had been a general complain across all specialist game. Feel like beating a dead horse here as it's not gonna change. GW simply make less and earn more.

Altho FW kit lacking the optimized team look like whoever sculpt these don't actually play the game, they just make them base on a strict formula, actually I do believe a number of people at specialist game didn't actually play the game they're working on.
   
Made in ca
Resolute Ultramarine Honor Guard






Vancouver, BC

I'm sure the game designers do, the Sculptors might not.

Remember, at GW, Sculpters and artists get more say than the rules writers.

 warboss wrote:
Is there a permanent stickied thread for Chaos players to complain every time someone/anyone gets models or rules besides them? If not, there should be.
 
   
Made in de
Primus





Rhein Main Gebiet

Chopstick wrote:
"Why didn't GW make an extra sprue for kits" had been a general complain across all specialist game. Feel like beating a dead horse here as it's not gonna change. GW simply make less and earn more.


Yeah, but I also think if they made more then they would also lose more. I doubt an extra Bloodbowl sprue would pay for itself.

"What do you want?"
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Morden and Vir, In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: