Switch Theme:

New Tau Codex - April 6'th [Pics, Video and Prices in OP]  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut



Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima, Japan

 lambsandlions wrote:
 Leth wrote:
What needs to be FAQed so far?
Drone controller is the biggest as the back entry says all drones and the front one says only gun, marker and sniper. And Whether AP1 effects our Ethereal friend.


If you're talking Space Pope, his rules explicitly cover what effect AP1 has.
   
Made in us
Sneaky Sniper Drone






Utah, USA

What does the rulebook mean that the CIB can be only taken "once per detachment?" As in, any crisis suit can take it but only 1 per army or 1 per squad?

 
   
Made in us
Hellion Hitting and Running






 BlueRift wrote:
What does the rulebook mean that the CIB can be only taken "once per detachment?" As in, any crisis suit can take it but only 1 per army or 1 per squad?
You get double detachment at 2k+ pts.
   
Made in us
Sneaky Sniper Drone






Utah, USA

Anyone have an exact reading on the "volley fire" rule of the Cadre Fireblade? I wonder because if it applies to longshot pulse rifles, then that could be a go-to source of ML's. Plus, extra shot snipers could be fun.

Minimalist Squad: 144 pts
Cadre Fireblade
Sniper Squad w/3 spotters and 3 drones

Loaded Squad: 258 pts
Cadre Fireblade w/ 2ML drones
Sniper Squad w/3 spotters and 9 sniper drones

Thats 4 or 6 MLs at BS5 plus some potential dakka. Might be worth it even if volley fire doesn't apply. I sure hope it does though, I like the idea of this squad. Maybe it's a waste of an HQ slot but if you have some FW's nearby for scoring. He could change roles.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Bay Area

Is Fire Warriors compulsory or can I finally field all Kroots?

   
Made in us
Resolute Ultramarine Honor Guard






Peoria IL

I would love an FAQ that they meant "two weapons" instead of "two handed" for kroot rifles

A FAQ/Errata on FW Tau stuff would be nice too, but that's neither here nor there


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Also, amazing what you can find 3 or 4 pages deap at /tg/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/04/06 05:43:45


DO:70S++G++M+B++I+Pw40k93/f#++D++++A++++/eWD-R++++T(D)DM+
Note: Records since 2010, lists kept current (W-D-L) Blue DP Crusade 118-11-6 Looted Green Horde smash your face in 32-7-8 Broadside/Shield Drone/Kroot blitz goodness 22-3-4 Grey Hunters galore 17-5-5 Khan Bikes Win 60-1-1 Tanith with Pardus Armor 11-0-0 Crimson Tide 57-4-0 Green/Raven/Deathwing 18-0-0 Jumping GK force with Inq. 3-0-0 BTemplars w LRs 7-1-2 IH Legion with Automata 6-0-0 RG Legion w Adepticon medal 5-0-0

QM Templates here, best army builder app on the market, IMO
My Babylon 5 CCG blog
One Page 40k Ruleset for Game Beginners 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




SabrX wrote:Is Fire Warriors compulsory or can I finally field all Kroots?


No compulsory units at all. 120 Kroot is a go (single force org that is)

BlueRift wrote:Anyone have an exact reading on the "volley fire" rule of the Cadre Fireblade? I wonder because if it applies to longshot pulse rifles, then that could be a go-to source of ML's. Plus, extra shot snipers could be fun.

Minimalist Squad: 144 pts
Cadre Fireblade
Sniper Squad w/3 spotters and 3 drones

Loaded Squad: 258 pts
Cadre Fireblade w/ 2ML drones
Sniper Squad w/3 spotters and 9 sniper drones

Thats 4 or 6 MLs at BS5 plus some potential dakka. Might be worth it even if volley fire doesn't apply. I sure hope it does though, I like the idea of this squad. Maybe it's a waste of an HQ slot but if you have some FW's nearby for scoring. He could change roles.


Without pasting the entire rule text all I can say is that I don't think Volley Fire would apply, it pretty clearly states that it affects Pulse Rifles and Pulse Carbines. Whether Longshot Pulse Rifles are Pulse Rifles for the basis of this rule will likely end up in YMDC pretty quickly and will require a FAQ before it's 100% clear. I can tell you though that each weapon is a separate entry in the armory so it seems like they are two distinct weapons. If they wanted the rule to apply to Longshots they could have stated "pulse weapons" or something similar like they did for Etheral powers and the like.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Bay Area

tidalwake wrote:
SabrX wrote:Is Fire Warriors compulsory or can I finally field all Kroots?


No compulsory units at all. 120 Kroot is a go (single force org that is)


HAZZAH!

120 Kroots + 6 hounds with 12" Ethereal Stubborn bubble and 6" from Big Mek's KFF with an entourage of 30 Shoota Boyz is going to be really nasty!

Kroot Horde is a go!



   
Made in gb
Drifting Cronos Hungry for Souls



Northampton

Ethereal is a bubble?

Then Space Pope has become awesome. 2 powers to all Tau units is very good.

Mr Mystery wrote:Suffice to say, if any of this is actually true, then clearly Elvis is hiding behind my left testicle, and Lord Lucan behind the right.
 
   
Made in jp
[MOD]
Anti-piracy Officer






Somewhere in southern England.

Backfire wrote:
tiberius183 wrote:
Totally agree. Nice work, GW. You gave us the primary thing that us Tau players have been wanting for years: options.


Yep. I mean, just look what awesome new option Vespid got: they now have the option of NOT take the Strain Leader, and stay at Ld6. That's exactly what I wanted all those years.


Every codex contains some lemons too.

My early thoughts on this one are that we may see people trying to avoid using the Pathfinders and get markerlights from the HQ section.

Ethereals, Vespids, Sniper Drones and even the Hammerhead are not leaping off the page as must have units.

However that is all based on the rumours as I haven't got the book yet.

Petition to stop ratification of EU Article 13 on Internet Copyright

We're not very big on official rules. Rules lead to people looking for loopholes. What's here is about it. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Bay Area

Can anyone confirm Invocation of Elements works outside vehicles? Space Pope needs his Pope Mobile!

   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




 Kilkrazy wrote:
Backfire wrote:
tiberius183 wrote:
Totally agree. Nice work, GW. You gave us the primary thing that us Tau players have been wanting for years: options.


Yep. I mean, just look what awesome new option Vespid got: they now have the option of NOT take the Strain Leader, and stay at Ld6. That's exactly what I wanted all those years.


Every codex contains some lemons too.

My early thoughts on this one are that we may see people trying to avoid using the Pathfinders and get markerlights from the HQ section.

Ethereals, Vespids, Sniper Drones and even the Hammerhead are not leaping off the page as must have units.

However that is all based on the rumours as I haven't got the book yet.

Sniper drones look to be one of the best units in the book. They can rapid fire out to 24”, can move and fire, hit on 2+ due to BS5, rend, never wound on worse then 4+ against MC, cheap, have stealth. Surly they are the best snipers out of any army by far. I am almost tempted to take 36 of them. On top of all that with an Ethereal those snipers all get 3 shots out to 24".

Vespid I can see why some do not like them but for the type of boards I play on they look great in theory. We play with tons of ruins so that’s a 4+ save with a backup 3+cover save at T4, AP3 weapon out to 18” at S5. For a laugh one game I might just do x3 Vespid and x3 Sniper followed by fusion Battlesuits for anti tank and a few markerlight drones to boost Vespid BS and remove cover.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2013/04/06 07:55:20


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 SabrX wrote:
Can anyone confirm Invocation of Elements works outside vehicles? Space Pope needs his Pope Mobile!


You won't be able to put the Space Pope into a Devilfish if that is the direction your thoughts were heading. Aun'va is classified as Very Bulky and the Devilfish now has the restriction that it cannot carry passengers that are Bulky, Very Bulky, etc...

Aun'va seems like a huge liability, yes he is cheap and gives two buffs and some other nice rules. He has 4 wounds and each of his body guards have 2 for a total of 8 wounds on the unit. However they are toughness 3 no EW so they can be easily taken out by an Autocannon or something similar (autocannon would also mean he only gets a 4+ save due to his special rule) When he dies you will be giving up an extra VP so he is going to be a high priority target just for that.

Regular Etherals do not have the Bulky rule, however and I see no reason why their bubble wouldn't extend from the hull of a vehicle like the DA Banners do.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Bay Area

tidalwake wrote:


Regular Etherals do not have the Bulky rule, however and I see no reason why their bubble wouldn't extend from the hull of a vehicle like the DA Banners do.


That's what I was looking for. Sorry for confusing Aun'va with a regular Ethereal. Perhaps Space Cardinal instead?


   
Made in us
[ADMIN]
President of the Mat Ward Fan Club






Los Angeles, CA

 SabrX wrote:
tidalwake wrote:


Regular Etherals do not have the Bulky rule, however and I see no reason why their bubble wouldn't extend from the hull of a vehicle like the DA Banners do.


That's what I was looking for. Sorry for confusing Aun'va with a regular Ethereal. Perhaps Space Cardinal instead?



Yeah, the Pope ain't riding around in anything, but a regular Ethereal should work fine.

But I think Space Pope behind an Aegis with a bunch of Firewarriors seems incredibly nasty and here's why IMHO from my first read through:

Spoiler:
He's only 100 points, which includes his two bodyguards (dirt cheap for what he does IMHO). His big drawback is that he isn't an IC, so he can definitely get sniped out, which is why you'd need to keep him hidden behind some terrain or even better IMHO behind a nice Aegis Defense Line. He has a cool rule that any shooting attack he basically gets an extra save where he rolls a D6 and if its equal to or greater than the AP of the shooting the wound is discounted. I don't see any rule not allowing him to make that roll after taking normal cover save attempts, so if you put him behind the Aegis and then go to ground every time he's fired at (there's no reason beside moving him somewhere not to have him Go to Ground whenever needed), he's getting a 2+ cover save that if failed you get a 2nd chance to discount by rolling equal to or over the AP of the shooting. So with that and his 4 Wounds, he should be pretty safe from enemy shooting, even with his paltry T3.

Now what does he add to the army?


1) Like all Ethereals, he gives all units within 12" his Ld 10 on morale, pinning, fear and regroup tests, which is going to keep your firebase behind the Aegis nice and solid.


2) Like all Ehtereals each turn he's also able to give all units within 12" some really nice abilities...but unlike other Ethereals, he gives them TWO of these abilities instead of just 1. These choices are:

• Stubborn (when combined with using the Ethereal's Ld 10 means if you're getting threatened by an enemy CC unit you can send one of your units into combat with them and as long as you don't get wiped out on the charge your unit is basically going to be locked in that combat...and if you send in the right sized unit you should be able to time it out so that they get wiped out in combat in the opponent's turn, leaving you ready to shoot the enemy unit again.

• 6+ Feel No Pain...always useful, especially behind the Aegis.

• Units can fire snap shots after running...not particularly useful, but can be used in a pinch if you need to have the entire firebase fall back together...they can all move backwards (or sideways) in the movement phase, then run and still fire snap shots if you're desperately trying to avoid contact.

• The golden one: Pulse weapons fire an extra shot. Yes, pulse weapons fire an extra shot at half range. That is nuts, especially as that is extra shots added to that one round of shooting, meaning that extra shot is benefitting from any markerlights you're spending on that unit's shooting anyway. It pretty much guarantees that if you've got a couple full-sized squads of Firewarriors you are going to be able to TEAR UP most anything within 15" or 21" if you're willing to move your unit out from the Aegis. And this power starts until the start of your next movement phase, so it applies to OVERWATCH shooting as well!!! And let's not forget that Tau now get to fire Overwatch if a friendly unit within 6" is being charged. So if one of your two-full sized Firewarriors gets charged, they BOTH can shoot likely 36 shots EACH at the charging unit.


3) And now what I think is the kicker for Space Pope...he comes with the Warlord ability that, once per game, he makes all friendly units that have gone to ground get back up and act normally that turn. So again, if you're hiding your firebase behind an Aegis Line, one turn where you know the enemy has gambled everything to move up and threaten you, you can go to ground with everything, soak up all his firing, then bust your Warlord Trait on your turn, and OBLITERATE them.


So yeah, space pope seems amazing. I guess his one big, giant, huge drawback is that if the enemy kills him they get an extra VP, which combined with the fact that if you're using him to be your Warlord to get his fixed Warlord power that means he's worth an auto 2 VPs if killed...that is pretty painful for a model that is incredibly easy to kill if you get him in CC or shoot him with the right weapons...multi-lasers eek!).

I play (click on icons to see pics): DQ:70+S++G(FAQ)M++B-I++Pw40k92/f-D+++A+++/areWD104R+T(D)DM+++
yakface's 40K rule #1: Although the rules allow you to use modeling to your advantage, how badly do you need to win your toy soldier games?
yakface's 40K rule #2: Friends don't let friends start a MEQ army.
yakface's 40K rule #3: Codex does not ALWAYS trump the rulebook, so please don't say that!
Waaagh Dakka: click the banner to learn more! 
   
Made in gb
Drifting Cronos Hungry for Souls



Northampton

Does Space Pope need line of sight to the units to bestow the blessings on them?

Mr Mystery wrote:Suffice to say, if any of this is actually true, then clearly Elvis is hiding behind my left testicle, and Lord Lucan behind the right.
 
   
Made in us
Shas'la with Pulse Carbine



Los Angeles, CA

I doubt it's LoS, but I could be wrong!

6400 Pts
4300 Pts
3200 Pts
2600 Pts

3080 Pts 30k
2460 Pts AoS Chaos Grand Alliance
2680 Pts AoS Sylvaneth 
   
Made in us
[ADMIN]
President of the Mat Ward Fan Club






Los Angeles, CA

Puscifer wrote:
Does Space Pope need line of sight to the units to bestow the blessings on them?


Nope.


I play (click on icons to see pics): DQ:70+S++G(FAQ)M++B-I++Pw40k92/f-D+++A+++/areWD104R+T(D)DM+++
yakface's 40K rule #1: Although the rules allow you to use modeling to your advantage, how badly do you need to win your toy soldier games?
yakface's 40K rule #2: Friends don't let friends start a MEQ army.
yakface's 40K rule #3: Codex does not ALWAYS trump the rulebook, so please don't say that!
Waaagh Dakka: click the banner to learn more! 
   
Made in gb
Drifting Cronos Hungry for Souls



Northampton

 yakface wrote:
Puscifer wrote:
Does Space Pope need line of sight to the units to bestow the blessings on them?


Nope.



I shall be hiding him behind a hammerhead or some other suitably large moving object.

Mr Mystery wrote:Suffice to say, if any of this is actually true, then clearly Elvis is hiding behind my left testicle, and Lord Lucan behind the right.
 
   
Made in us
[ADMIN]
President of the Mat Ward Fan Club






Los Angeles, CA


I've noticed that markerlight BS bonus no longer has a restriction against benefiting other markerlights.

So if you're able to get like a single markerlight hit on a unit and before firing your Pathfinders at it, all of a sudden you'll be boosting your chance to get more markerlight hits.



I play (click on icons to see pics): DQ:70+S++G(FAQ)M++B-I++Pw40k92/f-D+++A+++/areWD104R+T(D)DM+++
yakface's 40K rule #1: Although the rules allow you to use modeling to your advantage, how badly do you need to win your toy soldier games?
yakface's 40K rule #2: Friends don't let friends start a MEQ army.
yakface's 40K rule #3: Codex does not ALWAYS trump the rulebook, so please don't say that!
Waaagh Dakka: click the banner to learn more! 
   
Made in us
Shas'la with Pulse Carbine



Los Angeles, CA

 yakface wrote:

I've noticed that markerlight BS bonus no longer has a restriction against benefiting other markerlights.

So if you're able to get like a single markerlight hit on a unit and before firing your Pathfinders at it, all of a sudden you'll be boosting your chance to get more markerlight hits.




Would you have to use that markerlight token to make the other markerlight hit better though? Or would it leave the token there?

6400 Pts
4300 Pts
3200 Pts
2600 Pts

3080 Pts 30k
2460 Pts AoS Chaos Grand Alliance
2680 Pts AoS Sylvaneth 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Trustworthy Shas'vre





Leicester

It would use the token up.

Slightly annoyed that FW appear to have lost the ability to take a Black Sun Filter, and marker lights no longer remove night fighting.

Also I don't understand why they got rid of the detachment ability for sniper drone teams; even though they look interesting I'm less likely to take them now.

DS:80+S+GM+B+I+Pw40k08D+A++WD355R+T(M)DM+
 Zed wrote:
*All statements reflect my opinion at this moment. if some sort of pretty new model gets released (or if I change my mind at random) I reserve the right to jump on any bandwagon at will.
 
   
Made in us
[ADMIN]
President of the Mat Ward Fan Club






Los Angeles, CA


Okay, I think with the Tau book out in the wild now, as fun as this all is, this uber-thread about Tau rumors needs to be locked and other threads can be created to discuss the same topic in the 40K general discussion and/or 40K tactics forum.


I play (click on icons to see pics): DQ:70+S++G(FAQ)M++B-I++Pw40k92/f-D+++A+++/areWD104R+T(D)DM+++
yakface's 40K rule #1: Although the rules allow you to use modeling to your advantage, how badly do you need to win your toy soldier games?
yakface's 40K rule #2: Friends don't let friends start a MEQ army.
yakface's 40K rule #3: Codex does not ALWAYS trump the rulebook, so please don't say that!
Waaagh Dakka: click the banner to learn more! 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: