Switch Theme:

No more muckin' about - Proppa Ork Tactics Thread [Lists in spoilers or we'll krump ya]  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




Orkimedez_Atalaya wrote:
Yesterday I had the chance to try a few things.

But before the take-homes, I fielded a warboss on bike from FW. 95 points base. But at this point I am still unsure what datasheet to use with him. When for the index one so the base warboss with PK goes up to 108pts. Is there an official datasheet for the FW warboss on bike?

About the game itself.
- 5xkoptas with tbshoota for 150 point are ACE.
- dread with 2kmb lacks CC. We knew this already but the point drop only helps if massed. Not a fan.
- 2x scrapjets are annoying but kill little.
- flash gitz are an absolute must. Run 6 on a trukk and they killed marines as if there was no tomorrow.


the former 86 base cost is referencing the Index biker datasheet. Safe to assume you use that for now unless another datasheet appears.

Regarding Dreads -- I still think its way better to build the dreads as a utility unit (similar to how the FA options often are, Megatrakk can shoot and is okay in CC) than a straight up CC unit. And like most things Orks, you need redundancies, so you probably want to field them in pairs at minimum.

The Tellyporta -> Ramming speed thing is a bit discouraged by the current meta (marines can use infiltrators to keep them out of range), so we should have slogging as an option. If you also go the tellyporta route, you're pretty much locked into Evil suns (Ramming speed only affects 1 Deff Dread), which seems to flatline for me once they hit combat. The Deathskull rerolls seem to really help smooth out their damage in combat.

If you're slogging up, it's nice to have the option to shoot. 2x KMB dread has a 70.4% chance of hitting at least once per turn, with subsequent wound and damage rolls -- definitely good against multi wound heavy infantry and vehicles.

4 attacks with a re-roll to hit and wound shouldn't be that far off of the 5 or 6 attack Evil Sun version. Has anyone tried just running up CC dreads in a pinch?

It could be worth experimenting with a unit like:
Deathskulls
1 Klaw, 3x saw
2 saw, 2kmb
2 saw, 2 kmb

Runs you ~250 points. You can tellyporta this unit and shove the CC one in someone's face for sure if the matchup seems good for it, and the other 2 dreads still have a 60% chance or so of making the charge -- or if that option seems bad, you use the CC dread as a distraction (move and advance it), while the other 2 provide shooting support while they get into position.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/08 14:46:27


 
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




I play deffkulz dreads with 2 kmb 2 klaws
= 1,16 hits average with kmb rerolling wound and dmg
And meele 3,3 hits average with rerolling a wound.

And you have the deffkulz spike luck sometimes you hit 3 or more with kmb



What you guys think about flash gitz now with the reduce?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/08 15:01:06


 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




T1nk4bell wrote:
I play deffkulz dreads with 2 kmb 2 klaws
= 1,16 hits average with kmb rerolling wound and dmg
And meele 3,3 hits average with rerolling a wound.

And you have the deffkulz spike luck sometimes you hit 3 or more with kmb



What you guys think about flash gitz now with the reduce?


I think it’s about .88 hits no?
2 die: one hits .3333, other .5555, so .889 total or so. Explosion here I doubt adds another .25 or so.

Gits were already good. 20% cheaper means they are better.
Problem is keeping them alive without being freebooters. The battlewagon is a bit pricy but might work in a more mechanized list. I think the better option is a deathskull trukk though.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/12/08 15:53:29


 
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




2 hits +1 reroll ( that can also be a dakka dakka dakka)
=3,5 shots on 5+ average = 1,16 hits
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob






Why not run a deff skulls dragsta instead, it hits on 3s instead of 5s. Both received a substantial cost reduction.

I can't get over the clownish speed of a death skulls deff dread, you'd be moving 5" a turn. If you wanted to run you're shooting on 6's. That's not ideal.

Fang, son of Great Fang, the traitor we seek, The laws of the brethren say this: That only the king sees the crown of the gods, And he, the usurper, must die.
Mother earth is pregnant for the third time, for y'all have knocked her up. I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe, but I was not offended. For I knew I had to rise above it all, or drown in my own gak. 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




 TedNugent wrote:
Why not run a deff skulls dragsta instead, it hits on 3s instead of 5s. Both received a substantial cost reduction.

I can't get over the clownish speed of a death skulls deff dread, you'd be moving 5" a turn. If you wanted to run you're shooting on 6's. That's not ideal.


They have base 6” move. So it’s 9-10 move with advance vs 11-12.

And there’s no point having guns on the evil suns dread. I don’t mind a 30” threat range for the KMB.
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




You don't move, you teleport moving dreads are crappy as hell

Yes as evil sunz full meele is the best option.
The funny thing is a deffskull dread with two claws makes average 7,222 dmg on a t8 chassi in meele ( + the 2 kmbs before)

An evil Sun dread with 2 klaw 2 saw do 4,44 with klaws + 1,18 saws so 5,58 overall with +1 on charge.

That means the deffskull do more meele dmg with less meele weapons AND has two kmbs ( average 1,16 hits) and has a 6++.
( kmb average a bit more than 3,0 dmg average VS t8 Amor 3)
So overall the deffkulz dread with 2 kmb 2 klaws that comes into meele do more than 10 dmg)
An fully meele evil Sun 5,58.
So one deffskullz dread with two kmb 2 klaws is nearly double the dmg than an evil Sun one.

And that means if you Tellyport 3 deffskullz dreads with 2 klaw 2 kmb and two get into combat you make massiv more dmg than 3 evil Sun dreads that came fully meele into meele


And that means as example 3 dreads deffkulz with 2 kmb 2 klaws ( two come into meele one fail will do about 23 dmg vs t8 Amor 3
VS three evil Suns where all come into meele do 16, 5 dmg and are less survivable

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2019/12/08 18:22:57


 
   
Made in nl
Dakka Veteran





Netherlands

So, is it correct you can't use Loot it! on a unit which ride (trukk or wagon) is just destroyed? This since the models are only on the table after the trukk is destroyed and not at that moment which is required by the strategem?

   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




You can ( was in a faq).
If 12 boys are in a truck and the trukk is destroyed you can loot it.
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine




Douglasville, GA

Order of operations is: roll for Explode (deal damage to enemy units if they are within range), Disembark within 3" (remove any models that you cannot fit within 3"), roll 1d6×number of models that Disembarked (6s mean you lose an additional model), use Loot-It Stratagem, remove the Transport from the field.
   
Made in nl
Dakka Veteran





Netherlands

T1nk4bell wrote:
You can ( was in a faq).
If 12 boys are in a truck and the trukk is destroyed you can loot it.


That's great to hear!! Any idea which faq that was?

   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut




How much AP-3 weapon is common in turn 1 alpha strikes?

Wondering for a buggy spam if Concealed Positions may be worth it. 3+ save vs shooting, only gets worse than a KFF under AP3 (and is the same or better below).
   
Made in us
Battlewagon Driver with Charged Engine




Douglasville, GA

AP-1/2 are the most common AP you'll see.
   
Made in fr
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor





France

So a friend of mine is selling his orks: about 200 (at least 120) boyz, a few trucks, a battlewagon, some Killa Jan, I think a deathdread too, Gazkhull, about 20 nobz and some characters. No cards, no codex.
For 200€.
Would it be worth it
1/ price wise
2/ game wise ?

   
Made in gb
Squishy Squig




United Kingdom

 Singleton Mosby wrote:
T1nk4bell wrote:
You can ( was in a faq).
If 12 boys are in a truck and the trukk is destroyed you can loot it.


That's great to hear!! Any idea which faq that was?


don't over think things dude wording is in the stratagem

"Use this Stratagem when a VEHICLE unit is destroyed. Select an ORK INFANTRY unit from your army that was either within 3" of the vehicle or embarked within it when it was destroyed."

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/warhammer_40000_orks_en.pdf

Page 127 – Stratagems, Loot It!
Change the first and second sentences of rules text
to read:
‘Use this Stratagem when a Vehicle unit is destroyed.
Select an Ork Infantry unit from your army that was
either within 3" of the vehicle or embarked within it when
it was destroyed. Improve the Save characteristic of that
infantry unit by 1 (e.g. a Save characteristic of 6+ will
become a Save characteristic of 5+), to a maximum of 2+

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/08 23:17:56


SMASH  
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





He wasn't overthinking. Just asking what faq it is in. Answer is ork faq. So no need to search though rulebook faq. Or others(sometimes those too have relevant stuff in true gw style)

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/12/31/tneva82-december-moria/<- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




I just need to post this here because I feel some orks will find this amusing and I don't know where else to go

I was just in a tournament where an ork player had 2 SAGs and 1 SSAG

I was slated to go first - (Deploy full army first then go first)
He seized (1/6 chance)
Then his SSAG went critical (1/12 chance - 1/72 chance total)
Then his SSAG fired again, and went critical (1/12 chance - 1/864 chance total)
Then he fired his first SAG, and it went critical (1/12 chance - 1/10368 chance)
Then he fired his second SAG, and it went critical (1/12 chance - 124416 total)

Then turn two, he fires all of them again. And they all go critical (1/12^3 - 1/1728 - 1/214990848 chance total)

No rerolls or anything. Just pure 11+ SAGs. What did I do to piss off mork/gork.

I just thought some orks here might appreciate this
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




Wow looks like you took the bad luck card these day
My record with just one ssag was 54 dmg in one shot VS a 4++ knight
But I also get not one kill vs a guardsmen.
   
Made in gb
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






Vilehydra wrote:
I just need to post this here because I feel some orks will find this amusing and I don't know where else to go

I was just in a tournament where an ork player had 2 SAGs and 1 SSAG

I was slated to go first - (Deploy full army first then go first)
He seized (1/6 chance)
Then his SSAG went critical (1/12 chance - 1/72 chance total)
Then his SSAG fired again, and went critical (1/12 chance - 1/864 chance total)
Then he fired his first SAG, and it went critical (1/12 chance - 1/10368 chance)
Then he fired his second SAG, and it went critical (1/12 chance - 124416 total)

Then turn two, he fires all of them again. And they all go critical (1/12^3 - 1/1728 - 1/214990848 chance total)

No rerolls or anything. Just pure 11+ SAGs. What did I do to piss off mork/gork.

I just thought some orks here might appreciate this

Sounds like loaded dice man.
   
Made in no
Rogue Grot Kannon Gunna






Japp, honestly I would asked to test those dices

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






So, I've bought CA19 this weekend and a look through it has yielded an interesting result for me - Fortifications.

I used them a fair bit in 7th, has a skyshield and 2 aegis lines, and had a vengeance weapon battery and a bastion before I looted them into superheavies, and I simply hadn't seen them or heard of them being used in 40k in 8th.

I've thrown together a list, which I won't detail out exactly - it comprises of 2 SAG meks, 33 lootas, 2 firestorm redoubts (double-quad-Icarus lascannons) and a macro-cannon aquila stronghold.

The gist is to have 3 fortifications which I plonk down and shoot out of for as much of the game as possible. it came in at 2k and I think it's fairly un-competitive, and won't do well for taking objectives (had 1 unit of bikers for points-filling and mobility) but will have a lot of firepower from a T10 20-wound lump which I can shoot out of even if it's been charged. Icarus lascannons hit flying things (repulsors, waveserpents) on a 4+, fliers on a 5+ and everything else on a 6+, but luckily there's 8 shots per fortification. It's 16 lascannons and a macro-cannon, in addition to lootas, SAG and SSAG. It should do well at both clearing out the enemy and surviving their return fire (total of 70 T10-ish wounds to clear the fortifications out).

Has anyone found any use for fortifications with their Orks? They seem pretty useful for a protected firebase.

Orks in 8th, W/D/L
9/0/3 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





tulun wrote:
How much AP-3 weapon is common in turn 1 alpha strikes?

Wondering for a buggy spam if Concealed Positions may be worth it. 3+ save vs shooting, only gets worse than a KFF under AP3 (and is the same or better below).


It's definitely worth it, since many of the high ROF weapons have low AP, but are great at destroying buggies - also krak missiles, grenade launchers etc usually have AP-2.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




Buggys don't have a 3+ or?
Or mean with prepared positions?
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Yeah he's considering that one to be in cover on turn 1. Good if there's not that much LOS blocking terrain and want to skimp on KFF at the expense of 2CP half the time.

https://middleagedstrategybattlegamers.home.blog/2019/12/31/tneva82-december-moria/<- lotr painting blog

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





In a vehicle heavy list, I'd always use the stratagem just because it mitigates so much damage, and LOS blocking doesn't protect you from everything. Vehicle often don't get cover due to size and terrain rules, plus you can just deploy where you want to start - most buggies have just 24" reach, you can't afford having them drive around a building and lose shooting T1. Having +1 save across the board is worth 2CP.

For infantry based armies, not so much. Neither 6+ t-shirts nor 5+ mek guns are worth pushing.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in au
Blood-Drenched Death Company Marine






Is it better to go 3 units of 20 boyz or 2 units of 30?
   
Made in es
Regular Dakkanaut




 Tiberius501 wrote:
Is it better to go 3 units of 20 boyz or 2 units of 30?

Always 30, as being 20 you are in the threshold of losing 1 boy and the aura of +1 attack.

Orks 2000p 
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut




Kebabcito wrote:
 Tiberius501 wrote:
Is it better to go 3 units of 20 boyz or 2 units of 30?

Always 30, as being 20 you are in the threshold of losing 1 boy and the aura of +1 attack.


Also you need 30 to maximise your chances of resisting with one or two orks left, so you can green tide back to 30. Also greentiding back to 20 boyz is not as much fun

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/09 14:34:15


 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





 Tiberius501 wrote:
Is it better to go 3 units of 20 boyz or 2 units of 30?


Agree with the others, green tide, mob rule and stratagems want as many boyz per unit as possible.

 Daedalus81 wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Yes, because everyone lines up on the deployment line when facing off against orkz, especially when said orkz are fielding 3 Bonebreakers...which rely exclusively on getting into CC to inflict any kind of actual harm. All of your arguments rely upon your opponent being a brain dead muppet who just lets you maul him.


Yea...that's called board control.
 
   
Made in au
Blood-Drenched Death Company Marine






addnid wrote:
Kebabcito wrote:
 Tiberius501 wrote:
Is it better to go 3 units of 20 boyz or 2 units of 30?

Always 30, as being 20 you are in the threshold of losing 1 boy and the aura of +1 attack.


Also you need 30 to maximise your chances of resisting with one or two orks left, so you can green tide back to 30. Also greentiding back to 20 boyz is not as much fun


Yep sweet. I’ll make both blobs Skarboyz too. Do Skarboyz return with Greentide, or do they come back as normal boyz?
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: