Switch Theme:

Mordian IG, SW, Red Orks, WFB Bret/Empire, Warmachine, Infinity, Saxons/Vikings, Paper Ship UPDATED!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in gb
Krazed Killa Kan

Newport, S Wales

Well I can officially say after 2 pages of posts I'm convinced I need to subscribe to this p&m!

Excellent stuff going on, can't wait to see some of the painted minis

DR:80S---G+MB---I+Pw40k08#+D+A+/fWD???R+T(M)DM+
My P&M Log: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/433120.page
 Atma01 wrote:

And that is why you hear people yelling FOR THE EMPEROR rather than FOR LOGICAL AND QUANTIFIABLE BASED DECISIONS FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE MAJORITY!

Phototoxin wrote:Kids go in , they waste tonnes of money on marnus calgar and his landraider, the slaneshi-like GW revel at this lust and short term profit margin pleasure. Meanwhile father time and cunning lord tzeentch whisper 'our games are better AND cheaper' and then players leave for mantic and warmahordes.

daveNYC wrote:The Craftworld guys, who are such stick-in-the-muds that they manage to make the Ultramarines look like an Ibiza nightclub that spiked its Red Bull with LSD.

Made in gb
Journeyman Inquisitor with Visions of the Warp

Nice work with the perry minis i did the same thing , they are lovely minis in my oppinion and perfect for the prets or mords.

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

Norn King wrote:Nice stuff!

Thank you!

Leigen_Zero wrote:Well I can officially say after 2 pages of posts I'm convinced I need to subscribe to this p&m!
Excellent stuff going on, can't wait to see some of the painted minis

Thank you! I've got a lot of work ahead of me, I just hope my painting skills are up to the task. I love figuring out the conversions and making them happen.

neil101 wrote:Nice work with the perry minis i did the same thing , they are lovely minis in my opinion and perfect for the prets or mords.

Thank you! I like them as well. Big Thanks go out to Llamahead for pointing me in the direction of the Perry Miniatures, their heads would go well for Praetorians as well imho and you get a lot in the box, enough for more than a full squad. I'm still working on figuring out an option for a lance.

I picked up a cool tip regarding camo/checkered patterns by using a mesh/sponge dish mat that is generally for either putting in cabinets or something similar. Hold the mat away from the model and spray through it. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm discussing the technique with the guy. I've got the four chimeras sitting in a solution of simple green so that I can strip the paint from them in a few days.

I've got a couple other picture albums with work progress. I'm uploading images to them as well.
Warmachine: Cygnar

Warmachine: Mercenaries

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/11/16 06:51:41

Made in us
Lord Commander in a Plush Chair

California + Philidelphia

im loving that half track conversion man, nice job!

[
"Don't worry, Vik! You have all of your internet friends to keep you company! And, as everyone knows, internet friends are at least one step above imaginary friends "-Rawson
"Does an Ork shiiiit green?" "...Rogue! -you rock!" "Damn you too Rogue!""[TTFN]... That means tittyfething right?""Yep, that's me, a two-dollar whore"-Dsteingass
"... but if we all fail together we can make it look like we´ve won actually.." "...to all killers out there...: my face will hit your fist so hard it´s gonna bleed...your fist that is...""lol....OMG... you are a serial""he knows no pain...nor fear^^ he is a riveteer""yep... some of the dakka chaps here sure made the joints of my jaw quite loose...""er... emailsex... now that at least sounds like the perfect safer sex... but i like mine a bit more...wet""do you know what they call a quarter pounder of a buckte full of rivets in france?" "No...what?" "Rivitz royal"-Viktor von Domm
" I expected to hear gak like that from RW, not you Vik... for shame Sir, for shame"-AnUnearthlyChilde
"We are Vik's private collection of muses for the monkey on his back.....""you, guys are worse than my children......"-mxwllmdr
"Singling one out as odd in a =][_= thread is like going into an asylum, pointing at someone at random and saying "that person's insane""-Shrike

Made in gb
Journeyman Inquisitor with Visions of the Warp

The warmachine minis look the bees knees.

Made in us
Apprehensive Inquisitorial Apprentice

Los Angeles

hey hugh! wow yea those cygnar/trolls look awesome...the blues work out really well, nice and poppy...

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

neil101 wrote:The warmachine minis look the bees knees.

Thank you! I painted 22 Cygnar Long Gunners in about 24 total hours of painting, the blue base is the result of the primer I used. Army Painter Blue. I wanted to use that since Cygnars prime color is blue, yet in the end I wound up hiding most of the blue below a layer. Most of that is simply a basecoat & wash.

Antman677 wrote:hey hugh! wow yea those cygnar/trolls look awesome...the blues work out really well, nice and poppy...

Anthony! Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you, your work is top notch. I've tossed some other pics up on here that I grabbed off my facebook album. I keep forgetting that we only had the one game and you didn't see the rest of my painted army. I'll try to get some more stuff up with pics of them in their appropriate categories.

Work is progressing on the Mordian Iron Guard. I found an interesting tank base in a $0.25 bin at a garage sale, I'll take a pic and post it later.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/11/17 02:24:01

Made in us
Apprehensive Inquisitorial Apprentice

Los Angeles

sweet looking forward to more cygnar...if you take more pics id recommend using a bigger light (;

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

Antman677 wrote:sweet looking forward to more cygnar...if you take more pics id recommend using a bigger light (;

Most of those were taken at my apartment or Aero Hobbies, the troopers were done at the apartment and the lighting there sucked.

Here is more on the Mordian Iron Guard! This was all done today at Fat Ogre Games & Comics located in The Woodlands, Tx. As always comments, suggestions and criticism are welcome!

My paint scheme process:
I used a citadel fine tip brush. I'm not sure of the size, I'll look for that later and add it to this.
Primed with P3 White primer then base coat with Citadel Foundation Mordian Blue.

Then I hit the weapon with a layer of Chainmail.

Chaos Black was used on the boots, belt, weapon ammo pouch and hat brim. I cleaned up the missed spots later on in the process.

Next, P3 Rucksack tan used for the face only. I Like the flesh tone color of the Ruck sack tan the most out of either the citadel or P3 paints I've got.

Next, 2 layers of Regal Blue was used on the jacket. I wanted the jacket to be a darker blue than the pants, so that it would offset all the blue.

Next, Skull White was used to clean up some brush stroke slips and layer over the gloves for a dress uniform look. I've been wanting to do dress gloves on these guys and was undecided between white or black gloves. I went with white for this one. What do you think?

Next, Golden Yellow was applied to the trim, stripe, shoulders and hat band. I was trying for a U.S. Army Dress Blue look, but I think I got more of a U.S. Army Cavalry classic look.

Shining Gold was used on the double Eagle emblems & scabbard. The gold on the hat band tends to blend in a bit too much, Any suggestions on how to bring that out would be welcome.

Dark Flesh was used for wood on the stock. I wanted some wood, but didn't want to go either too light or too dark. I think Dark Flesh gives it a Mahogany look.

Back to Chaos Black for some touch ups.

Adeptus Battle Grey was used with water to paint the basing.

Adeptus Battle Grey was used with water to paint the basing then painted over with a washed down Scorched Brown. I may hit it with some green grass flock for a little color later.

Devlan Mud wash was applied to the weapon stock, the shoulders and the face. I wanted to get some shading easily done and to bring out the facial features better. The shoulder boards need the shading to help individualize the strands.

Badab Black applied to the uniform black & Blue & gold portions. Easy shading technique = Base coat + Black Wash.

Started work on a third model before closing up for the night and heading home.

Found this cheap little tank body in $0.25 bin, might try to use it for a vehicle conversion or if that doesn't work out then I'll use it as part of a terrain piece. It's a little longer than the average 40K tank, but it is just as wide and seems to be a decent size. I'd have to add some plastic card to the front of the model and the back as well as a turret/weapon.

Lots done today! Got to meet some great gamers and discuss painting techniques as well as learn about games, game types and upcoming events in the area. Good times.

Automatically Appended Next Post:
40K vehicle scale is 1:35 / 1:48 right? I've been looking for some vehicle options for the Mordians, something a little more military yet will fit with the chimera, Russ and Sentinels that I already have. Thoughts?

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=SCP&p=3

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam35044.htm

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam32548.htm

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tsm/tsm1559.htm

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam35177.htm

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tsm/tsm1573.htm

1/35 Allied Vehicles Accessory Set
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam35229.htm
1/35 AFV Tank Supplies Set
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/acy/acy1383.htm

So many crazy cool options I could link all day.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2011/11/18 06:32:16

Made in th
Pyromaniac Hellhound Pilot

Snarky wrote:
Hmelrose wrote:
40kFSU wrote:I dont have any Rough Riders, but many pictures of my Iron Guard in my gallery. Many years ago I did a Space Marine army with spears and shields. I used High Elf bits, they may work here.

Dude, these mortars of yours are awesome! How did you make them?

Those are the Forgeworld Heavy Mortars. You can get them http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Death-Korps-of-Krieg/IMPERIAL-HEAVY-MORTAR.htm

but it comes with Kriegsche crew and it seems you need FW rulebook for it. correct?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/408342.page

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

Lone Cat wrote:

but it comes with Kriegsche crew and it seems you need FW rulebook for it. correct?

If you use it as the heavy mortar, then Yes, I think you do. If you simply proxy it for regular mortars, then No. And, while I know that they're a lot larger than regular mortars, they still look pretty damn nice.

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Painting process for my Mordian Iron Guard. Primed with P3 White primer then base coat with Citadel Foundation Mordian Blue, then I hit the weapon with Chainmail. Chaos Black was used on the boots, belt, weapon ammo pouch and hat brim. P3 Rucksack tan used for the face only. 2 layers of Regal Blue was used on the jacket. Skull White was used to clean up some brush stroke slips and layer over the gloves for a dress uniform look. Golden Yellow was applied to the trim, stripe, shoulders and hat band. Shining Gold was used on the double Eagle emblems & scabbard. Dark Flesh was used for wood on the stock. Back to Chaos Black for some touch ups. Adeptus Battle Grey was used with water to paint the basing. Devlan Mud wash was applied to the weapon stock, the shoulders and the face. Badab Black applied to the uniform black & Blue & gold portions. Dwarf Bronze used on the weapon site. I used a citadel fine tip brush.

Mordian Iron Guard Paint scheme. The first three in progress.

Fully loaded out magnetized Sentinel with all the options! Tons of fun with magnets.

Automatically Appended Next Post:

3 getting close to being done, I'm working on different things on each, but the center most with the lasgun is what I'm looking at as the closest to a finished model.

I keep wanting to paint the skull on the flag bright red, as in the "Red Skulls of Mordia" but I don't think I'll be able to get more decals that are red skulls unless I figure out a decal print out technique and make my own.

A little more work done. Sorted some more of the Mordian Iron Guard. Its day 5 of soaking the chimeras received from ebay. I may check on them in the morning and see if I can start stripping the paint from them. Several have their lasguns from missing and so I've been keeping the lasgun barrels from my conversions and am going to attempt to pin the old metal barrels to the plastic bases/portions of the lasguns that are still attached to the chimeras.

My plan of attack on them is to strip the paint using simple green and either a soft steel wool scrub or the soft steel wool wire brush I used on the miniatures. Then prime white and paint the vehicles up in a codex grey or other light grey color. I think this will make the Mordian Iron guard models that are mostly blue stand out a bit more. Also, when playing on a green surfaced playing mat both the tanks and the Mordians will 'pop'. I'll also be using the Yellow & Blue as accent colors on the tanks/chimeras.

As an additive to the basing, I've got some of the old bright green dust like grass flock which I'll add to the grey/red colored basing I have currently. I've had to change up my basing mix due to a mishap. I was using a combination of gravel, beach sand and I was going to add some ash from a small BBQ pit, but I added too much. I've since added some sawdust to try to thicken the mix back up and make it more gravelly/particulate.

I still have something like 30 Mordian Iron Guard to add to bases, then base, prime and begin painting as well as the Rough Rider conversions. I've looked for lances for the Rough Riders and have an idea that the Warhammer Fantasy High Elf Silver Helms Regiment Cavalry
lances seem to look like the best option. I think someone on here suggested those as good lances, the hands of the elves holding the lances are gloved, so they'll best match the Mordians gloved hands I'm thinking.

I need to work out an assembly line technique for painting all of these guys. As it stands I'm using 15 different colors and more than that many steps in the process.

For the Psyker Squad I'm thinking of reversing the colors and having the primary coat color be yellow and the trim/accent work be blue. Its an idea I'm tossing around in my head, but I've also got Dr. Emmett Brown from Back to the Future in there too.

Hopefully y'all continue to enjoy what I'm putting out as much as I'm enjoying creating it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2011/11/19 05:22:44

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

--- In AeroBoyz@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

> I agree with your comment that after adding all that stuff to the half track, it looks more Orky than Imperial.
>
> I love how the army is coming along. It's one of those armies that is starting to look so good, that 'I can only hope the paint job measures up to the build.'
>
> I understand what you're doing with the WWII vehicles, but I wonder, as nice as your army is starting to look, if you wouldn't be better served by sticking with Citadel's outrageously priced tanks? It would suck if you had a great looking army and the weak point was your vehicles.
>
> Also, I like the green jacket on some of your models. Have you changed your color scheme?
>
> HEC

Yes, I agree with your assessment I was trying to figure out a cheaper way to get vehicles for 40K, yet after spending $25 on the aegis defense system and another $12 on the half track I could have spend a little more and gotten a legitimate vehicle from GW.

The half track may be torn apart and repainted, or it may just be given to my nephew to tear apart. The aegis defense system may be used in another conversion or I might try my hand at building some terrain.

I wanted to throw some interesting Military vehicles into the mix of the army, I took a look at a jeep for a command vehicle, the sherman tank and the half track. They might work eventually, but not currently. The sherman is longer than the chimera, but not as wide, so it is disproportionate to the Leman Russ it would sit beside. The Half track again is longer than the chimera and a bit Ork'd up. Those boyz might make their way into my next force, but thats for another time.

As for the green jacket, I was looking at trying to do the Army green dress uniform and I have a couple as tan/khaki as well, those are sitting in some simple green already or are primer'd white. The Army Dress blue/cavalry colored models are what I'll be going for.

The chimeras should be ready to be scrubbed and assessed, then fixed and re-primer'd to be painted the codex grey or light grey color.

I still have the Hellhound/Banewolf combination to finish putting together/magnetizing.

Also, I needed some more bits so I've picked up a Cadian Battleforce box and will most likely use the Sentinel as either another armored one or a scout with the mordian conversion. I need more Plasma in my force as I have tons of Melta/Flamer & only 2 plasma gunners. The rest of the Cadians will be used as bits/whiteshields and I could set up the heavy weapons as Mordian Missile crews.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Hugh

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

I purchased four chimeras off of ebay, they arrived in really bad shape and already heavily coated in primer and other paint schemes. I've had them soaking in Simple Green for a little more than a week. I used a board and some rocks to weight the models under the solution. I'm going to pull them out and begin stripping the paint off them with a simple soft steel wire brush.

Here you can also see some Mordian Iron Guard models I've had soaking as well.

Here you can see how even after a week in Simple Green the paint will almost just fall off the model.

I've pulled them out and will begin stripping the paint off them with a simple soft steel wire brush. Here you can also see some Mordian Iron Guard models I've had soaking as well.

I wear a glove designed to prevent/slow down cuts. Sometimes I slip with the wire brush and it can tear skin. I also use this same glove when I prime my models, this way I don't get paint all over my hands. I've considered switching to a heavy leather work glove, but I need to find one which gives me the same amount of grip and dexterity that this type of glove does.

Here you can see that purchasing used models off of ebay isn't always the best choice. This model seems to have been at least two other colors under the paint job that was on it. There is a balance between purchasing new and purchasing used + time to fix/recover a model back to a state where you can work with it into the scheme you want.

This was the best looking model, but its not the paint scheme I want for my army, so its getting stripped.

After spending hours scrubbing these models, there is still layers of paint on them. These need to go back into the Simple Green and soak some more, perhaps another week.

I think in the future I'll need to be more careful with purchasing used models, the condition of these four chimeras is bad. All four have broken lasguns on the rear of the models if not all of the lasguns. I'm going to have to cut up lasguns from my recent purchase of a cadian battalion box. As well they all have Heavy Bolters on the front, I might change those out or magnetize the slot so I can switch between weapon sets.

The other thing is, when you get used models, you don't get all the extra bits and additional weapon options and you might just wind up spending the same amount on another bits purchase to get those missing bits. Its a thought I've been toying with in my head while working on the conversions for the Mordian Iron Guard Rough Riders. If I purchase 10 lances at approx $2 each + shipping & handling, then I could have simply purchased the Warhammer High Elf Silver regiment box for $35 and gotten the extra bits to maybe trade with someone later.

As always comments, suggestions, criticisms, remarks, but not heretical statements will be welcomed!

Thank you!

Made in us
Apprehensive Inquisitorial Apprentice

Los Angeles

you sir are a beast as usual...

i like the yellow and blue and the white and blue also...

can you leave some white in there somewhere? a white/blue/yellow scheme would be cool

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

Antman677 wrote:you sir are a beast as usual...

i like the yellow and blue and the white and blue also...

can you leave some white in there somewhere? a white/blue/yellow scheme would be cool

Thank you! I'm planning to paint the gloves up as dress white gloves, I don't have any plans to leave much white elsewhere on the models. I might add purity seals to models to make them look like medals. Additionally, I'm toying with adding a design to the solid blue flag that is on the Meltagun model, on this same model I've thought of adding a pistol holster as well as a chain sword on the hip, to kind of give him options as the badass he is.

I'm looking at putting a big "M" on the standard or putting a template of stencils together to write "Mordia" or "Mordian" I still haven't come up with a unit identifier or any fluff for it.

The Skull on the Cadian flag keeps tempting me to paint it bright red as in the 'Red Skull' from the Marvel universe of comics. Of course, that might force some conversions to happen on certain models that I might not want as I'm using Yellow & Blue for most of my color scheme and not a red/black themed force. Although a Red Skull Cadian officer conversion would be easy. Even Red Skull Commissars.. hmm.. the possibilities..

But no! I'm not revising the paint scheme.

I'm maintaining them as an Army Dress uniform look that somehow reflects Cavalry/Dragoon set up. I think it will work as an Armored/Mechanized Dragoon force. But it will have many more options, its a big universe after all.

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Mordian Iron Guard Rough Rider Conversion using the mounts from Perry Miniatures French Heavy Cavalry and Tank Commander & Cadian officer heads. All the horses go together no matter which two halves of the body type you choose. There is one exception and that horse looks a little different than the others. There are enough bodies to create more than 14 bodies. The right arm from the sprue is holding a sword, so I'll find a lance or piece of pipe, trim that out and create rough riders. I might mount a lasgun or similar weapon to the saddle or gear on the horse to complete the image.

The 40K heads and the neck slot have to be reworked/cut/trimmed down so that the head will sit on the body.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2011/11/22 16:23:39

Made in th
Pyromaniac Hellhound Pilot

hey! wait....

are you sure that Sentinel lascannon is now two-part, are you sure that you don't drill its barrel?

=^.^=

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/408342.page

Made in au
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran

Melbourne, Australia

This is a great blog. I'm loving all the Mordians here, the conversions here are quite inspiring, they add so much character to your army.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/11/22 10:24:05

"Whilst we stand, we fight. Whilst we fight, we prevail. Nothing shall stay our wrath"
Guilliman and the Ultramarines are like Manchester United, everyone hates them because they are so awesome!

Made in se
Deadly Dire Avenger

Norrkoping Sweden

Looking so good.

Feels alot swedish with that paint scheme.

Also can you place the rough riders next to a infantry standing so you see the scale of the horses.

Rain is snow falling in the summer
6th ed with Eldar W: 2 D: 0 L: 1

Made in us
Stubborn Dark Angels Veteran Sergeant

Man those Rough Riders look cool!

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

Lone Cat wrote:hey! wait....

are you sure that Sentinel lascannon is now two-part, are you sure that you don't drill its barrel?

=^.^=

I did not need to drill any of the barrels for the sentinel

Flying Pooo wrote:This is a great blog. I'm loving all the Mordians here, the conversions here are quite inspiring, they add so much character to your army.

Thank you! I'm trying to make it fun as well as look good. I love hobby craft and am having some serious fun coming up with these alterations as well as getting tips/tricks from fellow gamers on here and through my old hobby shops online yahoo group. I never would have known of the Perry miniatures unless someone on here had mentioned them. I might have gone with the Warhammer Empire Pistoliers or Outriders
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod20058

sgtspiff wrote:Looking so good. Feels alot swedish with that paint scheme. Also can you place the rough riders next to a infantry standing so you see the scale of the horses.

Really? Swedish? I'll have to google up some images. Might give me some more options for fluff. Thank you! I'll append pics to the bottom of this for the size comparison. Perry is primarily a 28mm miniature range.

40kFSU wrote:Man those Rough Riders look cool!

Thank you! It was a really easy conversion, though shaving off the back of the Cadian officers head was a bit tough due to the small size of the piece.

I wanted something different for the Officer of the unit and I was happy to come across the Tank Commander model pieces for my Hellhound/Banewolf. I wanted a different/unique head for it and I think that fits. I'm thinking I should have used the torso from the piece as well instead of the armored chest from the Perry Miniatures line. I trimmed off the left shoulder board to add the skull shoulder armor to the model and the marine power sword on the right arm is a little large, but I don't mind it too much.

I'm debating gluing the riders to the horses, but will wait til I get the arm conversion done with the lance as the weight of the lance may be the deciding factor.

I'm looking at the lances from the Fantasy, Warhammer > Special Units > High Elf Silver Helms http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod790862

The gloves are the closest thing to Mordian Iron Guard gloves, everything else has an armored fist and I'd have to get a bit creative.

Size comparison with normal Mordian Iron Guard models.

The arms on the Perry miniatures may be a bit too small, but I'm not sure if I could/should cut out/craft left arms for the models. I'll have to wait and see when I get the lances.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2011/11/22 16:25:10

Made in ca
Lord of the Fleet

Halifornia, Nova Scotia

The Perry miniatures look great. Definitely one of the better rough rider conversions I've seen.

Stop being so awesome...and give me some of your motivation!

Mordian Iron Guard - Major Overhaul in Progress

+Spaceship Gaming Enthusiast+

Live near Halifax, NS? Ask me about our group, the Ordo Haligonias!

Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps

Earlobe deep in doo doo

Those really do look great. I wouldn't sweat scale differences too much between them it's usually not that obvious until you get right up close. I'd also have to agree with you on 2nd hand stuff. I always reckon metals are worth buying second hand but I prefer to assemble my own plastics.

"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

Blacksails wrote:The Perry miniatures look great. Definitely one of the better rough rider conversions I've seen.
Stop being so awesome...and give me some of your motivation!

Thank you! I'll keep working on them! As for motivation what are you working on? What kind of army? Where is your build plan and design? Get it out and do it.

Honestly though, I'm just having fun with this. I really enjoy the hobby craft portion of any game. I like projects and keeping busy. This is keeping me busy.

Llamahead wrote:Those really do look great. I wouldn't sweat scale differences too much between them it's usually not that obvious until you get right up close. I'd also have to agree with you on 2nd hand stuff. I always reckon metals are worth buying second hand but I prefer to assemble my own plastics.

Thank you! Metals are easier to work with second hand, you can strip the paint and then repaint, its all too easy. The plastics tend to retain and hold onto the paint longer/harder and you have less options for conversions or putting the model together the way you want to do so.

I might just go ahead and purchase new chimeras simply because I don't like all this extra work. So I'll be out the money I had spent to purchase these.

Today, I picked up the lances/Silver regiment box and a Space wolves battalion/brigade box + codex due to a deal the game store was having. I've got a ton of old stuff in storage or being held at an old friends house. I love the space wolves heads and have thought about cutting down a Cadian officers head for the hat and trimming up a few of the Space wolves heads with the great mustaches and making some interesting Mordians out of them. I only wish I had thought of this for the rough riders. I could have given some of them badass facial hair.

The next few days are big here in the states with Thanksgiving and everything happening. I may be able to get some work done, but then I may not. So wherever you are and whoever you're with I am thankful for you being awesome, for sharing this hobby and game as well as you just being alive. Thanks!

Made in se
Deadly Dire Avenger

Norrkoping Sweden

Hmelrose wrote:

sgtspiff wrote:Looking so good. Feels alot swedish with that paint scheme. Also can you place the rough riders next to a infantry standing so you see the scale of the horses.

Really? Swedish? I'll have to google up some images. Might give me some more options for fluff. Thank you! I'll append pics to the bottom of this for the size comparison. Perry is primarily a 28mm miniature range.

Yeah Swedish grenadiers from 17th and 18th century hade the same colorschemes.

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karoliner
Swedish wikipedia about the Karoliner. Regulars under the king f sweden between 1680-1750ish.

Failed hard against norway and marched home over the mountains with their dead king (top picture in the link is a painting that's one of swedens most famous ones).

Rain is snow falling in the summer
6th ed with Eldar W: 2 D: 0 L: 1

Made in us
Posts with Authority

Boston-area [Watertown] Massachusetts

Hey, 'rose! I'll buy those Chimeras off of you. I'm building an ancient tank battle terrain board, and I need wrecked Imperial vehicles! PM me and let me know, I'll cover your original purchase price and the cost of shipping them to me.

I can also send you IG bitz if you're looking for something in particular.

--Brian

Falling down is the same as being hit by a planet — "I paint to the 20 foot rule, it saves a lot of time." -- Me
ddogwood wrote:People who feel the need to cheat at Warhammer deserve pity, not anger. I mean, how pathetic does your life have to be to make you feel like you need to cheat at your toy army soldiers game?

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

sgtspiff wrote:
Yeah Swedish grenadiers from 17th and 18th century hade the same colorschemes.
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karoliner
Swedish wikipedia about the Karoliner. Regulars under the king f sweden between 1680-1750ish.
Failed hard against norway and marched home over the mountains with their dead king (top picture in the link is a painting that's one of swedens most famous ones).

Thank you! I had to look them up on the English portion of the site. The Enlgish portion only has the 1 picture, but I see what you mean. Their story is an interesting one and it might just work into some great fluff for my Mordians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroleans

Briancj wrote:Hey, 'rose! I'll buy those Chimeras off of you. I'm building an ancient tank battle terrain board, and I need wrecked Imperial vehicles! PM me and let me know, I'll cover your original purchase price and the cost of shipping them to me.
I can also send you IG bitz if you're looking for something in particular.
--Brian

Briancj, thanks for commenting on my page as it led me to the links in your gallery and your P&M blog, your work with plasticard is awesome and inspiring. The Chimera's may be a possibility, I've put a lot of work into recovering them and will have to think on it. I too buy vehicles off of ebay to save money and to have something I can craft up into something unique. The extended Russ you have is awesome.

Made in gb
Journeyman Inquisitor with Visions of the Warp

The cav look cool . the commander Head is very nice indeed.

Made in ca
Lord of the Fleet

Halifornia, Nova Scotia

Hmelrose wrote:
Blacksails wrote:The Perry miniatures look great. Definitely one of the better rough rider conversions I've seen.
Stop being so awesome...and give me some of your motivation!

Thank you! I'll keep working on them! As for motivation what are you working on? What kind of army? Where is your build plan and design? Get it out and do it.

Honestly though, I'm just having fun with this. I really enjoy the hobby craft portion of any game. I like projects and keeping busy. This is keeping me busy.

No problem, you do great work.

Sadly all my 40k stuff is halfway across the country for the next few months, but this blog has certainly inspired me to get off my ass and finish mine, once I'm reunited with my stuff.

I can't wait to see a whole mass of perfect blue and yellow/gold uniforms. Keep the good stuff coming!

Mordian Iron Guard - Major Overhaul in Progress

+Spaceship Gaming Enthusiast+

Live near Halifax, NS? Ask me about our group, the Ordo Haligonias!

Made in th
Pyromaniac Hellhound Pilot

Hmelrose wrote:I purchased four chimeras off of ebay, they arrived in really bad shape and already heavily coated in primer and other paint schemes. I've had them soaking in Simple Green for a little more than a week. I used a board and some rocks to weight the models under the solution. I'm going to pull them out and begin stripping the paint off them with a simple soft steel wire brush.

[...]

Does EBAY purchase + paint stripping chemicals cheaper than buying a new, unpainted models (Iron Guard IG and Chimaera)? so you invested your efforts into paint stripping of the purchased ones.
=^.^=

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/11/25 04:48:52

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/408342.page

Made in us
Doc Brown

Spring, Tx

neil101 wrote:The cav look cool . the commander Head is very nice indeed.

Thank you! I've been thinking of adding some green stuff around his shoulders and neck to fill him out. I might also craft a cape or something similar for him just to dress him up a bit more.

I'm looking at adding lasguns, holster'd pistols and swords to the models kits, I've got some blades from the Silver Helms box and the long knives from the space wolves battalion box. The horse for the musician doesn't have a developed saddle so I'll be crafting something up from bits & equipment.

Adding the lance arm to the model, I've glued a pennant to the lance for another standard. As you can see I've used a pin vise and small drill bit to drill out the shoulder and arm of the piece. I'm going to use the paper clip as a pin to secure a stronger connection between the two pieces as well as add support.

I unfold the paper clip or other material that I'm going to use for pinning and hold both sides down with thumb and forefinger so that when I cut the piece of metal with the clippers either piece doesn't shoot off and get lost on the floor somewhere or in my eye. I like being able to see.

Always make sure the two halves of your pin line up, else you're going to have to redrill and thats not easy, the other option would be to green stuff or carve the model so that your two pieces line up.

I haven't super glued the riders to the mounts yet and I'm hesitating to do so due to painting requirements as well as the conversions that are still in process.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, comments, or critiques! They're always welcome!

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Blacksails wrote: No problem, you do great work. Sadly all my 40k stuff is halfway across the country for the next few months, but this blog has certainly inspired me to get off my ass and finish mine, once I'm reunited with my stuff. I can't wait to see a whole mass of perfect blue and yellow/gold uniforms. Keep the good stuff coming!

Thank you! I'm trying, I've had a lot of great help from good friends and talented Hobbyists when I was living in Los Angeles, I know I keep touting the level of skill at Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica, Ca, but their stuff is amazing as well as the skill of the players/hobbyists that go to that store to game or just hang out. Whether it be Warhammer fantasy or 40K, Warmachine, Flames of War, the level of detail and ability just blows my mind. I know one guy who actually wrote legible words in a book held by a 30mm Warmachine Cryx model! They have a couple of plasti-card master craftsmen there its amazing. A couple of them build tanks and other vehicles for 40K as well as one guy who sculpted his BFG ship fleet out of plasticard and it looks just like the GW models if not better.

I'm just plugging away and seeing how it comes out. I'm happy with some of the results, yet some I wish I had done better (like the hose on the heavy flamer weapon model).

Lone Cat wrote:
Does EBAY purchase + paint stripping chemicals cheaper than buying a new, unpainted models (Iron Guard IG and Chimaera)? so you invested your efforts into paint stripping of the purchased ones.
=^.^=

Purchasing models off of a service like ebay or through a swap shop connection is at times cheaper and you can get great deals for this expensive hobby we all have.

if you don't include the time and effort it will take to make them match the army scheme in your head then I got a decent deal.

Though, I'm pretty sure I've spent in time, cleaning supplies, scrubbing tools, tupperware container, etc.. the difference in what I would have paid had I simply purchased new.

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to some things, I want these chimera to look beautiful next to my Mordian Iron Guard on the table, so stripping off the old paint rather than spraying primer over it is important to me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/11/25 05:13:23

Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: