Switch Theme:

Do You Want More Primarchs?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Do you want more Primarchs in 40k?
Yes, gimme more Primarchs
No, I don't want more Primarchs
Maybe, I don't care either way

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Three Color Minimum





Tangentville, New Jersey

 Horla wrote:
One of the biggest WTFs of coming back to 40K was seeing Guilliman back. I still haven’t gotten used to the idea, it seems utterly wrong based on the lore as I knew it. The Chaos ones should absolutely be around (and were all available for Epic so were around in some scale), maybe the Lion doing a breakout of his long nap but Guilliman? Guilliman!??

Oh and if Sanguinius comes back then we truly know GW will be only short of introducing actual Marvel characters next.


There's not enough exalting I could possibly ever give this post.


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




I dislike loyalist primarchs in 40k.
   
Made in us
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





Daemon Primarchs, sure.

Loyalist, no.

But they're inevitable with how much Guilliman will have sold so whatever.
   
Made in us
Slaanesh Veteran Marine with Tentacles




I didn't really want primarchs in the first place, their return fundamentally changes 40k. It is too late for that however and the cat is out of the bag, so we might as well get more. I am interested to see what they would do with Perturabo and Jaghatai.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 Argive wrote:
No.

Because getting "moar primarchs" will also mean yet even MOAR MARINES

If loyalist primarch: Moar marines because the primarch obviously needs to bring at least 4-5 new SM units because reasons.

If demon primarch: It will mean moar marines because obviously marines will ned NEW** Units to counter the NEW threats of NEW chaos UNIT(s).

So no. Id much rather see other stuff literally just about anything else.

HH has primarchs. So you can already buy and play those if so inclined.


Oh? I wasn't aware that they had 40k data sheets.
Look, if I wanted to play a completely different game, I'd already be playing it. What I WANT is for Russ to finally get his ass out of the Eye of Terror/Warp/whatever & lead my force in stats as well as in miniature form. Preferably while I'm still alive (I figure I've got about 25-30 years left)....
Russ finally returning to real-space is the only progression of story I want in this game.

This is Leman Russ. I've been using this mini (and the wolves he came with) for nearly 30 years now. I'd like to eventually use it as the character GW cast & sold as, in the game they sold it for.
[Thumb - SW pimarch.jpg]
Leman Russ

   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






^Those were the good ol days before primarchs and other characters suffered from gigantism.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






NVm

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/09 04:43:48


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




Primarchs ruin the feeling of space marines all standing resolute against the darkness, each one a hero of the imperium.
They lame, and would have been way cooler if they had been mostly the same power level as other marines with there myths and legends being mostly overblown and there chaos counterparts trading for power from the horrors of the universe.
It hits more at how these individuals had so much influence on the universe when they don’t get ramped up and written so often like children that need that power to extend there influence passed there fists.
   
Made in us
Daemonic Dreadnought





Eye of Terror

Voted no.

The Primarchs we have now disappoint. Mortarion and Magnus are expensive bullet magnets. They got nerfed in each 8th edition FAQ. Guilliman rarely gets the job done. I don't want a Russ / Lion / Khan / version of the same.

GW does the best they can but the mechanics make it hard to properly represent a Primarch on the tabletop. I just don't like the feeling they are 'ablative HQs' there to soak up the weight of your opponent's shooting for a turn or two while the rest of your army grabs objectives unopposed.

   
Made in gb
Tinkering Tech-Priest





Apple fox wrote:
Primarchs ruin the feeling of space marines all standing resolute against the darkness, each one a hero of the imperium.


..Have I been playing a different game these last 25-30 odd years? The Space Marines are the closest thing I can imagine to literal space Nazi's, propping up the most repugnant regime conceivable. A good portion of that 'darkness' they're standing against appears amoral at worst in comparison. o.O

At the end of the day, the Primarchs have been around and part of the game in some form since it's inception. They're just a little more physically present in the last few editions. Can't see there being any going back now without major (and likely unpopular) shake ups to the fluff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/05/09 05:54:41


 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




 StrayIight wrote:
Apple fox wrote:
Primarchs ruin the feeling of space marines all standing resolute against the darkness, each one a hero of the imperium.


..Have I been playing a different game these last 25-30 odd years? The Space Marines are the closest thing I can imagine to literal space Nazi's, propping up the most repugnant regime conceivable. A good portion of that 'darkness' they're standing against appears amoral at worst in comparison. o.O

At the end of the day, the Primarchs have been around and part of the game in some form since it's inception. They're just a little more physically present in the last few editions. Can't see there being any going back now without major (and likely unpopular) shake ups to the fluff.
hero of the imperium doesn’t mean they or the imperium are a good thing :0 just the way they pushed as the heroes and the avenging angels that come to save the day.

And they could be done well, without the meh power escalation and they just the best. They have though there pushed power fantasy made so much of the game that should be quite dangerous and a horror to meet on the battlefield so underwhelming.
Tone em down and make em cool for being cool rather than super badass plot armor peaces. Probably to late to save it.

Characters don’t need to be center peace models, and are often made less cool because of it.
   
Made in gb
Executing Exarch






ccs wrote:
 Argive wrote:
No.

Because getting "moar primarchs" will also mean yet even MOAR MARINES

If loyalist primarch: Moar marines because the primarch obviously needs to bring at least 4-5 new SM units because reasons.

If demon primarch: It will mean moar marines because obviously marines will ned NEW** Units to counter the NEW threats of NEW chaos UNIT(s).

So no. Id much rather see other stuff literally just about anything else.

HH has primarchs. So you can already buy and play those if so inclined.


Oh? I wasn't aware that they had 40k data sheets.
Look, if I wanted to play a completely different game, I'd already be playing it. What I WANT is for Russ to finally get his ass out of the Eye of Terror/Warp/whatever & lead my force in stats as well as in miniature form. Preferably while I'm still alive (I figure I've got about 25-30 years left)....
Russ finally returning to real-space is the only progression of story I want in this game.

This is Leman Russ. I've been using this mini (and the wolves he came with) for nearly 30 years now. I'd like to eventually use it as the character GW cast & sold as, in the game they sold it for.


At least you had a model for rus. And have current one from FW.

Meanwhile i have maguan ra from the same year probably. And never even had a phoenix lord for my warp spiders

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

Eldar- 4436 pts


AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "


 Eonfuzz wrote:


I would much rather everyone have a half ass than no ass.


"A warrior does not seek fame and honour. They come to him as he humbly follows his path"  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 Argive wrote:
ccs wrote:
 Argive wrote:
No.

Because getting "moar primarchs" will also mean yet even MOAR MARINES

If loyalist primarch: Moar marines because the primarch obviously needs to bring at least 4-5 new SM units because reasons.

If demon primarch: It will mean moar marines because obviously marines will ned NEW** Units to counter the NEW threats of NEW chaos UNIT(s).

So no. Id much rather see other stuff literally just about anything else.

HH has primarchs. So you can already buy and play those if so inclined.


Oh? I wasn't aware that they had 40k data sheets.
Look, if I wanted to play a completely different game, I'd already be playing it. What I WANT is for Russ to finally get his ass out of the Eye of Terror/Warp/whatever & lead my force in stats as well as in miniature form. Preferably while I'm still alive (I figure I've got about 25-30 years left)....
Russ finally returning to real-space is the only progression of story I want in this game.

This is Leman Russ. I've been using this mini (and the wolves he came with) for nearly 30 years now. I'd like to eventually use it as the character GW cast & sold as, in the game they sold it for.


At least you had a model for rus. And have current one from FW.

Meanwhile i have maguan ra from the same year probably. And never even had a phoenix lord for my warp spiders


Well, I could order the FW one. He'll never be the model that leads my army though.

No, Russ predates Maguan Ra, squeaking in during the closing days of RT. Ra came along in 2nd.
   
Made in de
Ladies Love the Vibro-Cannon Operator






Hamburg

Well, I have the Angron model from FW - a very nice model.
Its just assembled but not primed or painted.
Not sure if I ever paint or sell it.

Former moderator 40kOnline

Lanchester's square law - please obey in list building!

Illumini: "And thank you for not finishing your post with a "" I'm sorry, but after 7200 's that has to be the most annoying sign-off ever."

Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Blood Angels, Grey Knights; World Eaters (30k); Bloodbound; Cryx, Circle, Cyriss 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Librarian with Freaky Familiar






 StrayIight wrote:
Apple fox wrote:
Primarchs ruin the feeling of space marines all standing resolute against the darkness, each one a hero of the imperium.


..Have I been playing a different game these last 25-30 odd years? The Space Marines are the closest thing I can imagine to literal space Nazi's, propping up the most repugnant regime conceivable. A good portion of that 'darkness' they're standing against appears amoral at worst in comparison. o.O

They are the heroes the Imperium deserves. . .

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 StrayIight wrote:
Apple fox wrote:
Primarchs ruin the feeling of space marines all standing resolute against the darkness, each one a hero of the imperium.


..Have I been playing a different game these last 25-30 odd years? The Space Marines are the closest thing I can imagine to literal space Nazi's, propping up the most repugnant regime conceivable. A good portion of that 'darkness' they're standing against appears amoral at worst in comparison. o.O

At the end of the day, the Primarchs have been around and part of the game in some form since it's inception. They're just a little more physically present in the last few editions. Can't see there being any going back now without major (and likely unpopular) shake ups to the fluff.


All imperial factions are painted as heroes on a superficial level by GW. Yeah you can read the lore and realise what sick sadistic dogmatic place the imperium is and that space marines are narcissist cult warriors who only ally with the imperiums because they have psychopathic motives towards all non human life but will gladly destroy human populations for their own benefit...... or you can watch the little movies GW makes where the space marines and sisters of battle heroically fight the revolution space robots.

There’s only so much you can capture in a short vignette but newbies to the game are definitely given the impression of goodies vs badies.

Personally I like the idea of the story of the primarchs coming back to be psychopathic leaders of warrior cults and have their hypocrisy rubbed in their face by the likes of fulgrim, but that was also the HH. And since guilliman came back he’s been a real Boy Scout as far as I am aware.

I mean if the lion comes back and DA don’t basically become a break away state doing nothing but chasing down Luther and the fallen and neglecting any of their duties to the imperium then what’s the point in bringing him back
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







SamusDrake wrote:
Voted nay for the obvious reason that if I mention will be frowned up for mentioning, so I won't mention it.


Thanks for the vague-posting - and your obvious reason doesn't seem to be that obvious.

Can we see the Khan released for 30k before we see any more Primarchs for 40k, at a minimum?

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




mrFickle 798172 11119670 wrote:
All imperial factions are painted as heroes on a superficial level by GW. Yeah you can read the lore and realise what sick sadistic dogmatic place the imperium is and that space marines are narcissist cult warriors who only ally with the imperiums because they have psychopathic motives towards all non human life but will gladly destroy human populations for their own benefit...... or you can watch the little movies GW makes where the space marines and sisters of battle heroically fight the revolution space robots.

There’s only so much you can capture in a short vignette but newbies to the game are definitely given the impression of goodies vs badies.


they are team humans. that automaticaly makes them the good guys, when you fight not humans. It is like real world, given choice between a human life and anything else life you pick human, doing otherwise would mighty strange. Also psycho indoctrination or mind scrubing are not the same thing as having psychotic motives. In the same way autistic behaviour doesn't mean you are autistic. Plus are we kind of a forgetting what humanity is dealing in w40k? orks kill stuff, because they are created as a bio weapon. Tyranids are a similar. Eldar are willing to sacrifice the sectors of humans just to retrive a single soul stone. Tau sterilize humans and put them in re education camps, or this is what the good tau do. The red bad tau just kill humans, including those on the tau side. Necron are the anti life, and chaos why it has humans among its ranks want to destroy and warp the natural way of living humans have.

Thinking that humans are in any shape or form the bad ones in the w40k world, is like saying a bear has full rights to kill your grandfathers horses or a boars have full right to destroy fields your family have.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





mrFickle wrote:
But by introducing fulgrim or a grin you are creating 2 new armies where as a loyalist primarch is just another big buff to SM that have had a huge upgrade project.

But I do take your point and I would also ask should you count abbadon at primarch level. Not fluff wise but stat wise.

Also one of the new SOB models looks like it will have guilliman level stats


No, Abaddon should be between a Chapter Master and a Primarch but closer to a Chapter Master.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Beastmaster





I want at least the Lion and Fulgrim back.

-Primary Armies -
Craftworlds | Dark Angels | Death Guard | Sisters of Battle | Chaos Knights | Flesh-Eater Courts | Idoneth Deepkin

- Secondary Armies -
Drukhari | Necrons || Tyranids | Daughters of Khaine | Blades of Khorne | Stormcast Eternals
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Dysartes wrote:
SamusDrake wrote:
Voted nay for the obvious reason that if I mention will be frowned up for mentioning, so I won't mention it.


Thanks for the vague-posting - and your obvious reason doesn't seem to be that obvious.

Can we see the Khan released for 30k before we see any more Primarchs for 40k, at a minimum?


Well, obviously I'm going to get lynched for complaining about too many marine models when craftworlds are in dire...

...ah, dammit.

Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Do eldar even have 30k rules and models?

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in es
Grim Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain




Vigo. Spain.

I like giant demonic heretic primarchs but not loyalist ones.

Making "normal" non demon primarch giants is just so stupid. They look awful.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




But Vulkan was a litteral gigant, and only got bigger after the whole Beast thing.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in it
Perfect Shot Dark Angels Predator Pilot





Sesto San Giovanni, Italy

I entirely agree that the size choices for Guilliman and other Primarchs put me off so much that I didn't (and will not) buy them.

We already have a faction where "bigger=better". They're the Orks, and if I'd like that, I would collect them, not the Space Marine.

Under this point of view (and excluding exception like Magnus and Vulcan) Horus Heresy IS UNBELIEVABLY STUPID.
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

SamusDrake wrote:
 Dysartes wrote:
SamusDrake wrote:
Voted nay for the obvious reason that if I mention will be frowned up for mentioning, so I won't mention it.


Thanks for the vague-posting - and your obvious reason doesn't seem to be that obvious.

Can we see the Khan released for 30k before we see any more Primarchs for 40k, at a minimum?


Well, obviously I'm going to get lynched for complaining about too many marine models when craftworlds are in dire...

...ah, dammit.
Seems pretty reasonable to me.

A lot of Eldar models are in pretty big need of updates-it's frustrating that so much attention is lavished upon Marines when other lines have much older models.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in fi
Courageous Space Marine Captain






 Cybtroll wrote:
I entirely agree that the size choices for Guilliman and other Primarchs put me off so much that I didn't (and will not) buy them.

We already have a faction where "bigger=better". They're the Orks, and if I'd like that, I would collect them, not the Space Marine.

Under this point of view (and excluding exception like Magnus and Vulcan) Horus Heresy IS UNBELIEVABLY STUPID.
Yeah, it’s just embarrassing.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Yeah, it would have been fine to make most of them a head taller or whatever like they are "supposed" to be, but making them 1.5x-2x as tall is just dumb.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 JNAProductions wrote:


A lot of Eldar models are in pretty big need of updates-it's frustrating that so much attention is lavished upon Marines when other lines have much older models.


Silliness aside, yeah I agree.

Only kit that Marines could do with is a multi-option Chapter Master kit, for those who prefer to create their own chapters. On the Chaos Marine side you have the Chaos Terminator Lord kit, which puts most of the Marine HQ kits to shame.

Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in us
Terminator with Assault Cannon




San Jose, CA

Karol wrote:
Do eldar even have 30k rules and models?

Every eldar model (-ynarri) are 30k models
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: