Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
Times and dates in your local timezone.
Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
So, having attempted to use the plastic flying stand that comes with the kit, I quickly realised it was utter garbage. Once glued to the base, mounting the aircraft to said stand made its nose angle upwards (not exactly ideal given its role as a CAS vehicle!).
I did try modifying it so that the nose would dip and give it a more "strafing-run" type of orientation however I binned it in frustration. In my pursuit of finding an alternative, I stumbled across this video on the 'Tube:
[Credit to BuyPainted]
Needless to say I have since purchased a bunch of bicycle wheel spokes from the Bay with a mind to recreating the method in the above video. Hopefully other people will benefit from the tutorial too!
In other news, I finished my first Drop Trooper last night but there are no photos because the lighting was garbage and I want to wait until I have the rest of the squad completed.
Automatically Appended Next Post: Started on the cockpit. Painted an altimeter, fake horizon and a radar sweep. Went for a Russian turquoise interior using the old GW Hawk Turquoise.
This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/11/24 22:31:05
On the subject of the flight stand, you seem to have a strategy, but I never had issues with using the GW flight stand with my Vulture. The trick is to flip it so that the longer cross piece is facing backward.
I've straightened it out somewhat, sprayed it black and given it a coat of matt varnish. However, disaster struck as I forgot to mask the inside of the cockpit canopy and managed to get paint on it. I then ballsed it up trying to fix it and now need a new canopy... Hobby RAGE ensued.
Anyhoo, I will have to console myself with the HQ squad: got one trooper left to assemble (plasma gunner in an alternative pose = ballache) and four to paint in total.