Switch Theme:

[Armada] Super Star Destroyer, are FFG for real?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in no
Dakka Veteran






So, i just browsed my local mini dealer webshop as im missing 1 ship from the latest wave, and as i scrolled down armada i saw that Thing on preorder...
what shook me was the price. frikking 200 USD.................................................
ok, so it is 24" (60cm) and prepainted and comes whit some apparently powerfull cards, but stil..............

Then i went to FF to read the news about it and the tone of the article suggest more of these absurde models are coming in the future.

"This expansion pack arrives to swell the forces of the Galactic Empire with the first ship of an entirely new class—huge ships."


Is this realy the way armada is going? had they no more reasonable ideas left to do??
Do a model that is over 60cm meter long even belong on a miniature gaming table??

basicly, i dont like this one single bit....


*edited to correct wrong info.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/09 11:00:37


darkswordminiatures.com
Collects: 40K;Cult Mechanicus. GF9;Tanks. Flames of War. Wings of Glory. Warmachine. SW Armada. Adeptus Mechanicus. 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





I've felt Armada's been in a wierd state for awhile now. Since the last few waves, it seems to me that the creators have run into some kind of a wall in terms of what to release next, like they've blown through all of (or most of) the Canon ships. There's plenty of Legends material for Armada to expand into, but I'm thinking Disney is restricting what they can and can't use from Legends, for some reason.

IDK, I could totally be off base, but that's how I've felt for the last year or so.
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka





Bathing in elitist French expats fumes

My guess is this is just to tide themselves over until they can finally release the Clone Wars ships. Then this game will go through the roof.

 GamesWorkshop wrote:
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Villanous Scum






Were they planning on CW era? I can remember they announced it for legion and X-Wing but not Armada. One has to wonder what else they can do in this size bar other SSDs, I struggle to think of anything else.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

They hinted at prequel era for Armada but basically said "stay tuned for more info"

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Villanous Scum






Any source for that? The only thing I can find is from Gencon where the prequels being added to FFG games was announced and it was very clearly not including Armada;

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in us
Thrall Wizard of Tzeentch




 FrozenDwarf wrote:
So, i just browsed my local mini dealer webshop as im missing 1 ship from the latest wave, and as i scrolled down armada i saw that Thing on preorder...
what shook me was the price. frikking 200 USD.................................................
ok, so it is 24" (60cm) and prepainted and comes whit some apparently powerfull cards, but stil..............

Then i went to FF to read the news about it and the tone of the article suggest more of these absurde models are coming in the future.

"This expansion pack arrives to swell the forces of the Galactic Empire with the first ship of an entirely new class—huge ships."


Is this realy the way armada is going? had they no more reasonable ideas left to do??
Do a model that is over 1 meter long even belong on a miniature gaming table??

basicly, i dont like this one single bit....




Which model is going to be over 1 meter long?

To answer your question, yes, it belongs, if it's some kind of fortress. I wouldn't want to move something around that size, though.
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Villanous Scum






Pink Horror wrote:
 FrozenDwarf wrote:
So, i just browsed my local mini dealer webshop as im missing 1 ship from the latest wave, and as i scrolled down armada i saw that Thing on preorder...
what shook me was the price. frikking 200 USD.................................................
ok, so it is 24" (60cm) and prepainted and comes whit some apparently powerfull cards, but stil..............

Then i went to FF to read the news about it and the tone of the article suggest more of these absurde models are coming in the future.

"This expansion pack arrives to swell the forces of the Galactic Empire with the first ship of an entirely new class—huge ships."


Is this realy the way armada is going? had they no more reasonable ideas left to do??
Do a model that is over 1 meter long even belong on a miniature gaming table??

basicly, i dont like this one single bit....




Which model is going to be over 1 meter long?

To answer your question, yes, it belongs, if it's some kind of fortress. I wouldn't want to move something around that size, though.


He is talking about the Super Star Destroyer and yes it is a playable model that moves around the same as every other capital ship.
Edit although it is under two thirds of a metre long.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/08 05:36:34


On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





SoCal

Meanwhile, Forgeworld is a thing.

   
Made in gb
Sniping Hexa




Luton, UK

I'm not an Armada player at all, but I'm so getting an SSD. I was about to say "for the shelf" but I'm not even sure I've got a shelf with enough room for it right now.

Still, I hadn't seen the annoucement about Clone Wars coming into X Wing. I guess that's something else I can cross off ever expanding now (or even buying any of the V2 stuff), so the savings on that can cover the SSD purchase!

“The good are quick to help people in need. They do this without hesitation or requiring proof the need is genuine. But before they condemn the accused or bring harm to others, however justified it may seem, they hesitate. They demand proof.”
“The wicked will believe they are fighting for good. But when others are in need they’ll be reluctant to help, withholding compassion until they see proof of that need. And yet Evil is quick to condemn, vilify and attack. For Evil, proof isn’t needed to bring harm, only hatred and a belief in the cause.”
 
   
Made in no
Dakka Veteran






 ingtaer wrote:
Pink Horror wrote:
 FrozenDwarf wrote:
So, i just browsed my local mini dealer webshop as im missing 1 ship from the latest wave, and as i scrolled down armada i saw that Thing on preorder...
what shook me was the price. frikking 200 USD.................................................
ok, so it is 24" (60cm) and prepainted and comes whit some apparently powerfull cards, but stil..............

Then i went to FF to read the news about it and the tone of the article suggest more of these absurde models are coming in the future.

"This expansion pack arrives to swell the forces of the Galactic Empire with the first ship of an entirely new class—huge ships."


Is this realy the way armada is going? had they no more reasonable ideas left to do??
Do a model that is over 1 meter long even belong on a miniature gaming table??

basicly, i dont like this one single bit....




Which model is going to be over 1 meter long?

To answer your question, yes, it belongs, if it's some kind of fortress. I wouldn't want to move something around that size, though.


He is talking about the Super Star Destroyer and yes it is a playable model that moves around the same as every other capital ship.
Edit although it is under two thirds of a metre long.


"The pre-painted, beautifully sculpted Super Star Destroyer miniature within this expansion is the largest miniature yet created by Fantasy Flight Games, measuring over 24 inches from tip to tip."
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/3/executor-arrives/

yes sorry about this folks, my mind was somehow fully convinced that 60cm was 1m when the silly truth is that 100cm is 1m.(my mind was prolly thinking 60sec = 1 min and thus 60cm has to be 1m)
but, still a 60cm+ model on the tabletop that is a playable model.

price aside, how the feth are you going to transport that model if you dont have a car.
and when the cheapest version costs 220 points minus equipment/commander, how big games are we talking for this ship to be even viable, not to mention the amount of ships the rebel player needs to collect and bring to match.....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/09 10:58:18


darkswordminiatures.com
Collects: 40K;Cult Mechanicus. GF9;Tanks. Flames of War. Wings of Glory. Warmachine. SW Armada. Adeptus Mechanicus. 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Villanous Scum






Much like the epic ships in x-wing. Its supposed to sit on your shelf whilst one buys it for op cards or fixes? I dunna know. Looks pretty though doesn't it?

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in gb
Sniping Hexa




Luton, UK

 ingtaer wrote:
Much like the epic ships in x-wing. Its supposed to sit on your shelf whilst one buys it for op cards or fixes? I dunna know. Looks pretty though doesn't it?


I'll be looking to recoup as much of the cost as possible through selling the cards so I hope they are as OP...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/09 12:52:16


“The good are quick to help people in need. They do this without hesitation or requiring proof the need is genuine. But before they condemn the accused or bring harm to others, however justified it may seem, they hesitate. They demand proof.”
“The wicked will believe they are fighting for good. But when others are in need they’ll be reluctant to help, withholding compassion until they see proof of that need. And yet Evil is quick to condemn, vilify and attack. For Evil, proof isn’t needed to bring harm, only hatred and a belief in the cause.”
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 FrozenDwarf wrote:

price aside, how the feth are you going to transport that model if you dont have a car.


Clearly if you have the enough cash for a SSD and no car, you should just buy the car instead, right?
   
Made in no
Dakka Veteran






 LunarSol wrote:
 FrozenDwarf wrote:

price aside, how the feth are you going to transport that model if you dont have a car.


Clearly if you have the enough cash for a SSD and no car, you should just buy the car instead, right?


you havent been to norway i see =P
it aint for nothing we are the 5th moust expensice country to live in in the world. (200 USD is two 60l fuel tanks)


darkswordminiatures.com
Collects: 40K;Cult Mechanicus. GF9;Tanks. Flames of War. Wings of Glory. Warmachine. SW Armada. Adeptus Mechanicus. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I'm aware that there are plenty of reason not to own a car. Just a joke.
   
Made in gb
Wise Ethereal with Bodyguard







 FrozenDwarf wrote:


, not to mention the amount of ships the rebel player needs to collect and bring to match.....


Based on previous documentary evidence, all you.need.is.a.wounded a-wing

Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka





Bathing in elitist French expats fumes

Yeah, I know that once they release the SSD, I will be buying a lot of rebel fighter expansion packs.

What, I can't have 20 stands of A-Wings? But you can field that thing?

 GamesWorkshop wrote:
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

 
   
Made in us
Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Armada has Clone Wars hint here: https://youtu.be/xxd5qcPADVo?t=2672

Also, the SSD has two sets of rules. One set is made for "epic play", larger than standard games with rules coming in the SSD expansion.
The other set of rules is to use the SSD in a standard 400 point game. The previewed the cheapest version of this one and it comes in at 220 points. This is definitely a toned down version, but it looks like FFG realized that more people will buy the model if it can be used in standard play.

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Keeper of the Space Fleet Flame






Arlington, va

 Vertrucio wrote:
Meanwhile, Forgeworld is a thing.


Yeah.

Star Wars has a lot more fans and if GW fans can drop $$$$ on a titan, you can be sure there are 10x that number of Star Wars fans ready to drop $$$s on a Super Star Destroyer.

 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Villanous Scum






 quadro28 wrote:
Armada has Clone Wars hint here: https://youtu.be/xxd5qcPADVo?t=2672


Cheers for that mate. Very much a response that could be taken either way but lets err on the side of positivity.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in au
Missionary On A Mission





Australia

I really can't wait for them to branch into the CW era. it'll give the game a new life. in my local area the game has dropped off because there hasn't been the releases as of late.

Armies:
: 500

: 4500pts

Imperial Knight: x3 (2 gw Knights and 1 converted Acheron knight, wasn't going to pay Forgeworlds price.)
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Only two feet? Definite lack of effort

   
Made in au
Missionary On A Mission





Australia

I would love to get that going in my area. looked like such a great game.

Armies:
: 500

: 4500pts

Imperial Knight: x3 (2 gw Knights and 1 converted Acheron knight, wasn't going to pay Forgeworlds price.)
 
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

I've given up on getting anyone in my area (or era) to play Armada.

Still getting the SSD, if I can. Need it to fight my borg Cube.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/17 04:50:14


It never ends well 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

From over on the FFG forums, a couple of people have done some playtesting with what info is available, and the 220pt version is really not any more powerful than a pair of regular Star Destroyers. For one thing, you have to use a Nav command just to turn at all during movement.

I have gone back and forth about getting one from Miniature Market at 150 dollars, but as I only have about half of what's out for Armada, I think I'd rather spend the same amount on several other ships instead of just one SSD. But then again, the sheer novelty plus actual playability might be worth it when it can be had at 25% off?



"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in us
Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries





Sterling191 wrote:
Only two feet? Definite lack of effort



Lack of effort? Isn't the above game dead and gone?

It seems FFG is being careful with it's Armada releases. Every ship the game is viable in the competitive scene. That's impressive, even for Armada's painfully slow release schedule,

A friend of mine printed the base of the SSD and I got to use the previewed variant in a game. It's certainly different and not exactly easy to use. I can see it having a place in competitive play once people get their hands on it and get some time to figure out what works.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/11/17 06:19:14


 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Villanous Scum






This came up in a local page, apparently all the upgrade cards for the SSD;


On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in au
Missionary On A Mission





Australia

Well i would say the important ones anyway.

i'm so eager for this ship. i've already made plans to run it in the next Corellian conflict. of the two standard ships i'm thinking that the Assault prototype is the one that's going to see the most table time.

Armies:
: 500

: 4500pts

Imperial Knight: x3 (2 gw Knights and 1 converted Acheron knight, wasn't going to pay Forgeworlds price.)
 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka





Bathing in elitist French expats fumes

Speaking of Armada. There is a tourney I just want to show up to and get smashed in on December 29th, I mainly play Rebel... do I absolutely need to get the MC75 to remain somewhat viable? Is the Voltron list still not a thing?

 GamesWorkshop wrote:
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

 
   
 
Forum Index » Star Wars Miniature Games by Fantasy Flight
Go to: