Switch Theme:

How do Orks beat MA+Castellan?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




I'm looking for some advice. I'm getting back into the tournament scene. The last time I played tournaments was really 5th edition. I'm running Orks and am wondering how to defeat the Astra Militarum / Castellan lists out there. Does anyone have any advice?
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





UK

Try using Da Jump to keep feeding boyz into the AM units. Even basic Ladz will mince regular humies in assault but the real points is to tie up as many units of them as possible to cut down on their shooting.

As for the Castellan, I am not sure it is even worth trying to kill it. It can't claim objectives by itself so kill the Guard and try to get the objectives. Castellans are built to kill tanks and elite infantry. Even if the Castellan shoots all game, it will struggle to make its point back by shooting regular infantry.

So play a horde army and make sure you sacrifice Gretchin wherever possible. Make your opponent weep at the wasted potential whenever his relic plasma obliterator kills another grot while you drown his regular forces under the green tide.

I stand between the darkness and the light. Between the candle and the star. 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Orks can one-shot a Castellan fairly easily, using Lootas or Tankbustas.

In either case, Mob Up a 10 man + 15 man group. Then use Da Jump to jump the Tankbustas within 24" of the Castellan if using Tankbustas. Then use More Dakka to trigger extra shots on 5's and 6's. Then use Showin' Off to shoot twice to finish it if it's not dead.

VERY expensive both points wise and CP wise... .but they'll one hit KO a Castellan.
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




 Horst wrote:
Orks can one-shot a Castellan fairly easily, using Lootas or Tankbustas.

In either case, Mob Up a 10 man + 15 man group. Then use Da Jump to jump the Tankbustas within 24" of the Castellan if using Tankbustas. Then use More Dakka to trigger extra shots on 5's and 6's. Then use Showin' Off to shoot twice to finish it if it's not dead.

VERY expensive both points wise and CP wise... .but they'll one hit KO a Castellan.


No, they won’t one shot a castellan, even the full loota bomb will definitely stuggle. Also if this AM/Castellan player is worth their salt then they have taken the 2+ saves relic and the ignore ap -1 in this match up anyway. So not a viable tactic, if they do take those two buffs, then a full loota bomb would need 9 rounds of shooting to kill a castellan. (Real math, factoring in more Dakka!!!)
I’d say orks best chance would be getting a biker boss in there and fighting twice w/ relic claw and brutal but kunnin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/08 21:56:36


 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Straight_Memer wrote:
 Horst wrote:
Orks can one-shot a Castellan fairly easily, using Lootas or Tankbustas.

In either case, Mob Up a 10 man + 15 man group. Then use Da Jump to jump the Tankbustas within 24" of the Castellan if using Tankbustas. Then use More Dakka to trigger extra shots on 5's and 6's. Then use Showin' Off to shoot twice to finish it if it's not dead.

VERY expensive both points wise and CP wise... .but they'll one hit KO a Castellan.


No, they won’t one shot a castellan, even the full loota bomb will definitely stuggle. Also if this AM/Castellan player is worth their salt then they have taken the 2+ saves relic and the ignore ap -1 in this match up anyway. So not a viable tactic, if they do take those two buffs, then a full loota bomb would need 9 rounds of shooting to kill a castellan. (Real math, factoring in more Dakka!!!)
I’d say orks best chance would be getting a biker boss in there and fighting twice w/ relic claw and brutal but kunnin


Admittedly I didn't do the math on lootas... it's complicated :-/

Having been on the receiving side of the Tankbustas though, THAT one I'm SURE will one-shot a Knight through a 3++ save.
   
Made in au
Grovelin' Grot



Thirroul

Having a bike boss around with the relic klaw, brutal but kunnin' and the fists of gork power will reliably kill a knight in one turn without any CP assistance (and if the dice gods hate you there is the option to swing again as you die). If you can support him with, say some evil sunz stormboys or a badmoons shootaboys unit thrown in via da jump, you'll pretty easily strip away screens, eat overwatch with the stormboyz then knock the knight out nice and quick. Additionally this group of units is pretty versatile.

I'm kind of moving away from the lootabomb. It's great against flyers, light vehicles and any sort of infantry but it will just bounce off a knight and requires so many resources and a lot RNG to work.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





25 lootas getting max shots and doing more dakka and shoot again cannot 1 shot a knight on average.

Castellan will have more wounds and a better save, so it is even worse.
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Horst wrote:
Orks can one-shot a Castellan fairly easily, using Lootas or Tankbustas.

In either case, Mob Up a 10 man + 15 man group. Then use Da Jump to jump the Tankbustas within 24" of the Castellan if using Tankbustas. Then use More Dakka to trigger extra shots on 5's and 6's. Then use Showin' Off to shoot twice to finish it if it's not dead.

VERY expensive both points wise and CP wise... .but they'll one hit KO a Castellan.


A) most common relic is cawl's wrath
B) it is going to have 4++. Then 25 tankbusta indeed will one shot it
C) that's why when you shoot it it's going to take 3++ making tankbusta ap meaningless and not one shot it
D) with 25 lootas vs either 2+ save(super unlikely) or 3++ you average 12 wounds firing twice so 2 turns and not yet dead

“Nothing has a definite nature, so people cannot be purely evil. Even so-called evil people will aspire to follow a moral path when they feel a sense of community.” – Kukai

11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Melee kills knights, no invul in melee, some of the FW knights can get a better Invul in melee (4+ if i remember) but a Castellan wont.

When against a Castellan or Crusader, heck even 3 Wardens, you WILL take lots of damage, so you have 2 options

1) Kill everything else and win on points
2) Kill the knight fast enough to not cripple you

Not every army/list can do option 1, and not every army/list can do option 2.

Pick an option and stick with it, whatever your army/list is best at, do that.

For me i just kill them, i have killed 2 knights on turn 1 multiple times in actual tournament pay, but i play Ynnari, so thats different. With my Nids i kill everything else and win via points.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
PS, i honestly think the meta will go towards 2-3 smaller knights with shooting and melee, it counters large knights and hordes at the sametime with Admech and house rules. 2 Wardens and 1 Crusader is very strong.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/11 10:59:27


15k+ 12k+ 5k :Harlequin: 4k

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle




In My Lab

Each Loota, if hitting on a 5 and 6 and generating an extra shot from each hit, does the following per shot:

1 shot
4/9 hits
4/27 wounds
2/27 against a 4++, 4/81 against a 3++
4/27 damage (.15), 8/81 damage (.10)

Each Tankbusta, if hitting on a 5 and 6 and generating an extra shot from each hit, does the following per shot:

1 shot
4/9 hits
2/9 wounds
1/9 against a 4++, 2/27 against a 3++
1/3 damage (.33), 2/9 damage (.22)

Edit: IGNORE TANKBUSTA MATH! I FORGOT THEIR REROLLS!

In other words, against a 4++ Dominous Knight, you need 187 Loota shots or 84 Tankbusta shots.
Against a 3++ Dominous Knight, you need 280 Loota shots or 126 Tankbusta shots.

I'm not doing the math against a 2+ Knight with the Ignore AP-1 trait, since no one uses that.

So, can 25 Lootas do it?

Math says not nearly reliably enough.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/12 17:50:03


Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 JNAProductions wrote:


Each Tankbusta, if hitting on a 5 and 6 and generating an extra shot from each hit, does the following per shot:

1 shot
4/9 hits
2/9 wounds
1/9 against a 4++, 2/27 against a 3++
1/3 damage (.33), 2/9 damage (.22)


This seems low. If you shoot 18 times you should get 6 hits, 12 misses on first round. Reroll 12, get 4 more so 10 hits. 10 hits for new shots, 3 hits more, 7 misses so reroll, 2 more(rounding down here). So total of 15 hits.

15 hits out of 18 shots is bit more than 4/9 I think...Think you forgot tank bustas reroll hits vs vehicles.

Against castellan with 4++ you thus need 21 tankbustas and bit more(so round up to 22 shots). 33 for 3++. This is you are double firing them with bad moon strategem.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/03/12 08:23:06


“Nothing has a definite nature, so people cannot be purely evil. Even so-called evil people will aspire to follow a moral path when they feel a sense of community.” – Kukai

11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights
 
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle




In My Lab

I forgot that Bustas reroll failed shots against Vehicles.
That's my bad.

I have work in just a few minutes, so I can't redo the math at the moment, but thank you for pointing out my error.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in us
Servoarm Flailing Magos






 Amishprn86 wrote:
Melee kills knights, no invul in melee, some of the FW knights can get a better Invul in melee (4+ if i remember) but a Castellan wont.


I could be wrong here but I'm fairly certain that the "cannot move next turn but 5+ invulnerable within 6" of the knight" stratagem effects the knight as well, so it can have a 5+ in melee
   
Made in gb
Waaagh! Ork Warboss






They don't.

Your sole chance is to get a Warboss on Bike w/ Relic PK into combat or a Ramming Speed Gorkanaught tellyporting in. And before that you'll need to deal with screening units and burn all your CP for stratagems.

The Tankbuster Wombo Combo burns like 8+CP and won't scratch a 3++ Castellan.

+++++There are currently NINETY TWO (92) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Because some people get their knickers in a twist, I'll list these RaW 'oddities' in my sig. Sadly GW's promise of fixing their broken rules has itself been broken. Zoom in to read them. RaW you cannot advance and then fire assault weapons, you can't shoot pistols if within 1" of an enemy; "minimum" ranges don't work; Seraphim have to re-roll saves that "fail" pre-re-roll; the game simply breaks if you ever have more than one wounded model in a unit; the game also breaks if a single rule ever tries to do multiple things simultaneously; Khârn punches himself in the face if he's not near some meatshields; Librarians on Bikes are locked to the Index power list, Howling Banshees can't declare a charge further than 12"; Spore Mines have an infinite range; Shroudpsalm technically doesn't do anything, only enemy models, not friendly models, have permission to move on top of a Skyshield Landing Pad; T'au have access to stackable Ignore Wounds (albeit against Mortal Wounds only); the T'au Early Warning Override Support System only works if a unit is "teleporting to the battlefield", not just arriving mid-battle; you can only ever use the Deathwatch Teleportarium Stratagem "once", and then never again in any battle after you use it; if a model splits fire, each weapon must target a different unit; a Tyrant Guard with Lashwhip can absorb an infinite amount of damage via Shieldwall between the time they die and the time they fight; Chapter Tactics on Successor Chapters don't actually do anything; Codex Leman Russ's can take an infinite amount of Hunter-Killer Missiles, Storm Bolters and Heavy Stubbers; Imothekh's 'Lord of the Storm' ability hits the "target unit" twice; "Airborne" units can't be charged by non-FLY units, but can be Heroically Intervened into, piled into, or consolidated into just fine by non-FLY units; Wave Serpents cannot be legally charged at by any model with a standard base; Slab Shields, along with the 'Take Cover!' stratagem no longer have any effect; and vehicles that are "slain" by a special effect do not trigger the "Explodes" ability; Taking any Forge World Space Marine Named Characters denies the use of a Chapter Tactic; and Chapter Tactics do not work on Successor Chapters.
--- Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities --- Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. --- 
   
Made in us
Shas'o Commanding the Hunter Kadre




Olympia, WA

drogers66 wrote:
I'm looking for some advice. I'm getting back into the tournament scene. The last time I played tournaments was really 5th edition. I'm running Orks and am wondering how to defeat the Astra Militarum / Castellan lists out there. Does anyone have any advice?


Well my list has 4 Rokkits in each boyz squad. So thats a start. 15 lootaz ready to go will get the party started. 6 Traktor Kannons added to that? seems legit. i did that.

So that's a little over 16 wounds to the Castellan in one go against a 4+ invul save (degraded at least). It just means you gotta focus for a couple rounds Seems like you would have that much time to do it anyways.



Automatically Appended Next Post:
drogers66 wrote:
I'm looking for some advice. I'm getting back into the tournament scene. The last time I played tournaments was really 5th edition. I'm running Orks and am wondering how to defeat the Astra Militarum / Castellan lists out there. Does anyone have any advice?


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/03/12 19:33:20


Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

7th Ambassadorial Grand Tournament Registration: http://40kambassadors.com/register.php 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





How much you want to tool up specifically against knights btw? And does the AM have more knights than the castellan? If there are more knights(preferably questors) and you don't mind being bit inoptimal vs others...Howabout well obviously unit of tankbustas but then whopping _18_ kustom mega kannons?

Even vs 3++ castellan those KMK's will average some 21 wounds. Okay not dead but of course 15 tank bustas will finish it.

And here's the thing. You don't have any big unit that starts shooting. You declare one KMK vs castellan. Does he activate RIS? If yes well follow as above and kill it with KMK's and followed by tankbustas. OR you switch target. If he triggers for first KMK your 17 KMK's will average 40 wounds to questors so one dead, one half wound so degrades. Castellan is alive yes but he spent 3CP and might not even have saved even one wound with it(any 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 for save and RIS was meaningless). And here's another funny thing. KMK's are annoyingly tough targets for knights as they are so many units and knight weapons tend to overkill. Castellan arm weapons will kill average less than 2 KMK's. Maybe 3rd with shoulder cannon so he's looking at 3 KMK dead AT BEST with castellan...And I have rolled low for shots with volcano cannon or cawl's wrath failing utterly.

15 tankbustas with just two shots will average 21 wounds to questor. 26 if you use more dakka.

So if he has 2 questors and castellans you will easily kill both questors and hurt castellan that will then kill with good result 3 KMK. He has lost 800+ pts and wounded castellan. Tank bustas will likely die but if his AT firepower was concentrated mostly on knights I think the KMK's will win duel vs castellan in the long run. It will take over 6 turns for castellan to kill points back in KMK's.

Two issues with this is 18 KMK is lots of KMK's and you will be royally screwed against many more balanced armies. After codex upped price of KMK's they aren't quite as good as index when 18 KMK's was semi decent army.

“Nothing has a definite nature, so people cannot be purely evil. Even so-called evil people will aspire to follow a moral path when they feel a sense of community.” – Kukai

11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights
 
   
Made in us
Shas'o Commanding the Hunter Kadre




Olympia, WA

tneva82 wrote:
How much you want to tool up specifically against knights btw? And does the AM have more knights than the castellan? If there are more knights(preferably questors) and you don't mind being bit inoptimal vs others...


Simply put, if you have not answered the Castellan question, the Ork Question and the (current) Ynnari question, then you are setting yourself up for tournament failure. It's truly that simple. You will do well...but not well enough... A LOT if you cannot answer those three questions.

Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

7th Ambassadorial Grand Tournament Registration: http://40kambassadors.com/register.php 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Well yes but is the OP looking for winning tournament or kicking crap out of some castellan list that's giving him headache? Bit different. If he just wants to blow the crap out of say some 2 questors+castellan list that's different than trying to come up with tournament winning list(which with mono codex lists is pretty much fool's errand anyway)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/13 08:17:29


“Nothing has a definite nature, so people cannot be purely evil. Even so-called evil people will aspire to follow a moral path when they feel a sense of community.” – Kukai

11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




The funny thing is people keep, focusing on the Castellen, which is part of this Astra Millicheese,Castellen lists power. Your focused on the wrong thing. Killing the Castellen doesn't actually remove the lists offensive power, which is actually dispersed through out the Guard 1400 points, the Castellen is esentially a distraction model, that hard to kill and has some damage output when fed the unlimited CP that the AM won't use.
   
Made in us
Glorious Grot Banna Wava




Ice_can wrote:
The funny thing is people keep, focusing on the Castellen, which is part of this Astra Millicheese,Castellen lists power. Your focused on the wrong thing. Killing the Castellen doesn't actually remove the lists offensive power, which is actually dispersed through out the Guard 1400 points, the Castellen is esentially a distraction model, that hard to kill and has some damage output when fed the unlimited CP that the AM won't use.


Luckily really the only threat to an infantry-based ork list that the castelan actually poses is the shieldbreaker missiles. Other than that, it's killing like...10-12 orks per turn maybe, depending on what defenses you've got up?

The real threat is definitely the 1400 points of guard, at least to orks. Luckily, chewing through guardsmen is something orks are far better at doing.

The struggle for ork lists in the current competitive meta is that our list setup that's good at killing ynnari is gak at killling imperial soup, and our list that's good at killing imperial soup is gak at kililng ynnari.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




To be fair both current meta lists are guilty of fundamentally breaking the game, hence no other codex, really has and answer and to some extent they really shouldn't, as they would have to be OP to compete. It's esentially 2 separate games in many ways, your either soup or fighting uphill.

Yannari is obvious as free activities in a fixed length game is always going to be strong, definataly too strong for what they pay.

AM castellen, like seriously GW building the codex with the most rediculous CP generation then "balancing" that by making the strategums not worth playing was always going to end up in those overly cheap CP being funeled into another codex's strategums, first it was custodes, then Blood Angels, then Knights
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






The biggest issue I find with the ork codex is not that we can't accomlish things, it is just that we have to somehow accomplish a lot of things with inferior tools. You can make a list that will do well against the AM/Castellen, but good luck vs those Ynarri lists. Funny enough I think GW could sell a bunch of models and fix orks, tau and Necrons weaknesses by just adding keyword Xenos and allowing them all to ally together.

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in gb
Waaagh! Ork Warboss






If you want to ally Orks, Tau and Necrons, play narrative play. That's LITERALLY what it was made to do.

Matched Play is a botched attempt at reintroducing some semblance of factional structure to the game.

+++++There are currently NINETY TWO (92) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Because some people get their knickers in a twist, I'll list these RaW 'oddities' in my sig. Sadly GW's promise of fixing their broken rules has itself been broken. Zoom in to read them. RaW you cannot advance and then fire assault weapons, you can't shoot pistols if within 1" of an enemy; "minimum" ranges don't work; Seraphim have to re-roll saves that "fail" pre-re-roll; the game simply breaks if you ever have more than one wounded model in a unit; the game also breaks if a single rule ever tries to do multiple things simultaneously; Khârn punches himself in the face if he's not near some meatshields; Librarians on Bikes are locked to the Index power list, Howling Banshees can't declare a charge further than 12"; Spore Mines have an infinite range; Shroudpsalm technically doesn't do anything, only enemy models, not friendly models, have permission to move on top of a Skyshield Landing Pad; T'au have access to stackable Ignore Wounds (albeit against Mortal Wounds only); the T'au Early Warning Override Support System only works if a unit is "teleporting to the battlefield", not just arriving mid-battle; you can only ever use the Deathwatch Teleportarium Stratagem "once", and then never again in any battle after you use it; if a model splits fire, each weapon must target a different unit; a Tyrant Guard with Lashwhip can absorb an infinite amount of damage via Shieldwall between the time they die and the time they fight; Chapter Tactics on Successor Chapters don't actually do anything; Codex Leman Russ's can take an infinite amount of Hunter-Killer Missiles, Storm Bolters and Heavy Stubbers; Imothekh's 'Lord of the Storm' ability hits the "target unit" twice; "Airborne" units can't be charged by non-FLY units, but can be Heroically Intervened into, piled into, or consolidated into just fine by non-FLY units; Wave Serpents cannot be legally charged at by any model with a standard base; Slab Shields, along with the 'Take Cover!' stratagem no longer have any effect; and vehicles that are "slain" by a special effect do not trigger the "Explodes" ability; Taking any Forge World Space Marine Named Characters denies the use of a Chapter Tactic; and Chapter Tactics do not work on Successor Chapters.
--- Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities --- Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. --- 
   
Made in us
Shas'o Commanding the Hunter Kadre




Olympia, WA

 G00fySmiley wrote:
The biggest issue I find with the ork codex is not that we can't accomlish things, it is just that we have to somehow accomplish a lot of things with inferior tools. You can make a list that will do well against the AM/Castellen, but good luck vs those Ynarri lists. Funny enough I think GW could sell a bunch of models and fix orks, tau and Necrons weaknesses by just adding keyword Xenos and allowing them all to ally together.


I mean every army has a defining way of doing things. I see no reason orks should be an exception. And I play orks.

I like Orks and they now have the tools. Thats a difference between 8E and previous ork editions where you had the tools against...most things. But hard counters existed. they just dont anymore. You can hit an enemy 80 times in one round with STr 7 -1 AP weapons now, in a single round. So. I'm not really seeing how we are lacking anything.

We are more prone to bad luck. You gotta' plan for that. Missed charges absolutely are bad for us. But we have 'Ere we Go. Can't ask for much more. Dont even need a character to do it. We move 5" but we can advance and charge which is a big deal. Makes us FAST without needing to pay for vehicles. We relied on vehicles befor to an extent. We can now ds to locations or outflank to locations etc... So mobility is no longer the killer it was for us.

Castellans are broken. Comparing yourself to soemthing that never should have been in 40K is not the right approach. EVERYONE hates it who faces it. But if 80 shots at -1 AP STR 7 isn't enough "tools", then by that definition, no one has them. Lol.

Ynnari are as broken as the Castellan and have been since they arrived in 7E. Its that simple. Auto-hitting weapons and/or the 5's and 6's stratagem both are tools to handle them as are artillery barrrages for when they kill a unit and zoom away like cowards! Wont be a fun game, but thats not because you're orks. Its because they are Ynnarri and by definition no fun to play against.

Orks are really good. They didn't perform poorly at LVO. Not winning a 660 person tournament is NOT an indicator that everyone who didn't win "sucks". We just have two boogeymen in our world right now. Fix them and you will see orks are as good as anyone.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/03/14 16:49:22


Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

7th Ambassadorial Grand Tournament Registration: http://40kambassadors.com/register.php 
   
Made in gb
Battlefortress Driver with Krusha Wheel






 Jancoran wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
The biggest issue I find with the ork codex is not that we can't accomlish things, it is just that we have to somehow accomplish a lot of things with inferior tools. You can make a list that will do well against the AM/Castellen, but good luck vs those Ynarri lists. Funny enough I think GW could sell a bunch of models and fix orks, tau and Necrons weaknesses by just adding keyword Xenos and allowing them all to ally together.


I mean every army has a defining way of doing things. I see no reason orks should be an exception. And I play orks.

I like Orks and they now have the tools. Thats a difference between 8E and previous ork editions where you had the tools against...most things. But hard counters existed. they just dont anymore. You can hit an enemy 80 times in one round with STr 7 -1 AP weapons now, in a single round. So. I'm not really seeing how we are lacking anything.

We are more prone to bad luck. You gotta' plan for that. Missed charges absolutely are bad for us. But we have 'Ere we Go. Can't ask for much more. Dont even need a character to do it. We move 5" but we can advance and charge which is a big deal. Makes us FAST without needing to pay for vehicles. We relied on vehicles befor to an extent. We can now ds to locations or outflank to locations etc... So mobility is no longer the killer it was for us.

Castellans are broken. Comparing yourself to soemthing that never should have been in 40K is not the right approach. EVERYONE hates it who faces it. But if 80 shots at -1 AP STR 7 isn't enough "tools", then by that definition, no one has them. Lol.

Ynnari are as broken as the Castellan and have been since they arrived in 7E. Its that simple. Auto-hitting weapons and/or the 5's and 6's stratagem both are tools to handle them as are artillery barrrages for when they kill a unit and zoom away like cowards! Wont be a fun game, but thats not because you're orks. Its because they are Ynnarri and by definition no fun to play against.

Orks are really good. They didn't perform poorly at LVO. Not winning a 660 person tournament is NOT an indicator that everyone who didn't win "sucks". We just have two boogeymen in our world right now. Fix them and you will see orks are as good as anyone.

Orks underperform. Plain and simple. Pure SM finished higher at LVO. Pure Tau finished higher at LVO. There are multiple mono factions that do better than Orks and I would argue any army able to soup is by definition better in a competitive sense.

Either way I look forward to you proving me wrong and winning major tournaments with Orks.

Lootas are leaving the meta, they are not the unit or the answer you think they are.

The best answer to this question is to simply ignore the Castellan, kill the scoring troops and take objectives. That has always been the Ork game plan and it always will be. Accept that we don’t have adequate tools to deal with the big robot and move on trying to win the game another way.
   
Made in us
Locked in the Tower of Amareo




Lootas are pretty terrifying.
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob on Warbike with Klaw





Nebraska, USA

Lootas are just a super glass cannon.
They hit crazy hard but die to a stiff breeze. I really dont like using them because it is not that hard to kill them off, even with 40+ grots shielding them.
Realistically you will get to the 15 lootas before the 40 grots die anyway.

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

Imgur Album: http://vineheart01.imgur.com
8000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz 
   
Made in gb
Battlefortress Driver with Krusha Wheel






Martel732 wrote:
Lootas are pretty terrifying.

T4,6+ save. So scary. Plz help.
   
Made in hk
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control




 An Actual Englishman wrote:
Martel732 wrote:
Lootas are pretty terrifying.

T4,6+ save. So scary. Plz help.


Well, maybe T4 5++ with around 20 ablative wounds is the usually seen state.
   
Made in us
Shas'o Commanding the Hunter Kadre




Olympia, WA

 An Actual Englishman wrote:
 Jancoran wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
The biggest issue I find with the ork codex is not that we can't accomlish things, it is just that we have to somehow accomplish a lot of things with inferior tools. You can make a list that will do well against the AM/Castellen, but good luck vs those Ynarri lists. Funny enough I think GW could sell a bunch of models and fix orks, tau and Necrons weaknesses by just adding keyword Xenos and allowing them all to ally together.


I mean every army has a defining way of doing things. I see no reason orks should be an exception. And I play orks.

I like Orks and they now have the tools. Thats a difference between 8E and previous ork editions where you had the tools against...most things. But hard counters existed. they just dont anymore. You can hit an enemy 80 times in one round with STr 7 -1 AP weapons now, in a single round. So. I'm not really seeing how we are lacking anything.

We are more prone to bad luck. You gotta' plan for that. Missed charges absolutely are bad for us. But we have 'Ere we Go. Can't ask for much more. Dont even need a character to do it. We move 5" but we can advance and charge which is a big deal. Makes us FAST without needing to pay for vehicles. We relied on vehicles befor to an extent. We can now ds to locations or outflank to locations etc... So mobility is no longer the killer it was for us.

Castellans are broken. Comparing yourself to soemthing that never should have been in 40K is not the right approach. EVERYONE hates it who faces it. But if 80 shots at -1 AP STR 7 isn't enough "tools", then by that definition, no one has them. Lol.

Ynnari are as broken as the Castellan and have been since they arrived in 7E. Its that simple. Auto-hitting weapons and/or the 5's and 6's stratagem both are tools to handle them as are artillery barrrages for when they kill a unit and zoom away like cowards! Wont be a fun game, but thats not because you're orks. Its because they are Ynnarri and by definition no fun to play against.

Orks are really good. They didn't perform poorly at LVO. Not winning a 660 person tournament is NOT an indicator that everyone who didn't win "sucks". We just have two boogeymen in our world right now. Fix them and you will see orks are as good as anyone.

Orks underperform. Plain and simple. Pure SM finished higher at LVO. Pure Tau finished higher at LVO. There are multiple mono factions that do better than Orks and I would argue any army able to soup is by definition better in a competitive sense.

Either way I look forward to you proving me wrong and winning major tournaments with Orks.

Lootas are leaving the meta, they are not the unit or the answer you think they are.

The best answer to this question is to simply ignore the Castellan, kill the scoring troops and take objectives. That has always been the Ork game plan and it always will be. Accept that we don’t have adequate tools to deal with the big robot and move on trying to win the game another way.

Skill matters. More. Look at the names. It wasnt some rando


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 An Actual Englishman wrote:
Martel732 wrote:
Lootas are pretty terrifying.

T4,6+ save. So scary. Plz help.


Ignoring the gretchen shield around 25 of them? Come now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/15 05:40:01


Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

7th Ambassadorial Grand Tournament Registration: http://40kambassadors.com/register.php 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: