Switch Theme:

CSM drop pods  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Why don’t CSM have drop pods available?
   
Made in us
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought






^ The necessary spikes make it less aerodynamic and therefore they are too slow to not be shot down on their way to the battlefield.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine




The Void

In past editions, they didn't have them available probably because GW wanted to keep the two factions more different. These days, they aren't available because it's been long established as just how things are, even though it'd be fine to have them now. But nobody is in a hurry, because drop pods aren't good in 8th.

Always 1 on the crazed roll. 
   
Made in ca
Dakka Veteran






Same reason Space Wolves have giant wolf cavalry and Chaos doesn't have Berserkers on Juggernaughts.

Square Bases for Life!
AoS is pure garbage
Kill Primaris, Kill the Primarchs. They don't belong in 40K
40K is fantasy in space, not sci-fi 
   
Made in us
Witch Hunter Undercover in a Cult







The usual lore explanation these days is that CSM don't have the follow-up infrastructure to recover their Drop Pods after the fight/keep building more drop pods since they're usually smaller raiding forces without as stable a supply chain.

Balanced Game: Noun. A game in which all options and choices are worth using. 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

They do. They're called Dreadclaws. They're available to csm only, loyalists can't use them, because their machine spirits are so fething evil they eat loyalists. Even daemons are scared to ride in them.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




I'm fine that CSM doesn't have the regular cheap Drop Pods. It helps differentiate them.

However, seeing as Renegades (which is what half the codex is treated as) don't have access to them, it makes very little sense. The whole codex is a joke.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

When you turn to Chaos you have to give them up, along with your Land Speeders, various types of aircraft, Assault Cannons, non-insane Dreads, Plasma Cannons, Storm Shields, Razorbacks, Whirlwinds and Cyclone Launchers. Plus all your special Land Raider variants.

On the bright side all your Devastator Marines get inexplicably bigger and tougher, but they start to hang out in smaller groups.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/03/11 03:29:17


   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
I'm fine that CSM doesn't have the regular cheap Drop Pods. It helps differentiate them.

However, seeing as Renegades (which is what half the codex is treated as) don't have access to them, it makes very little sense. The whole codex is a joke.

Agreed, but dreadclaws need a points drop in the new fw books. It would be nice to get the loyalists first turn ds rule as well.
   
Made in us
Ork-Hunting Inquisitorial Xenokiller





Denver, CO

 Insectum7 wrote:
^ The necessary spikes make it less aerodynamic and therefore they are too slow to not be shot down on their way to the battlefield.


As far as I'm concerned, this is now cannon. Champions were also frustrated with their price should falling of the spikes during atmosphere reentry.

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey. 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





washington state USA

Gadzilla666 wrote:
They do. They're called Dreadclaws. They're available to csm only, loyalists can't use them, because their machine spirits are so fething evil they eat loyalists. Even daemons are scared to ride in them.


well that and unlike loyalist pods they can take off again and act like flyers


Remember the lore was that the astartes that turned to chaos took everything they had with them from the 30K timeline and thanks to warp time shenanigans they still have the tech that the wider imperium forgot how to make.

 
   
Made in gb
Junior Officer with Laspistol




Manchester, UK

Chaos really need a way to take loyalist things, like GSC can with Guard.

The Tvashtan 422nd "Fire Leopards" - Updated 19/03/11

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





 aphyon wrote:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
They do. They're called Dreadclaws. They're available to csm only, loyalists can't use them, because their machine spirits are so fething evil they eat loyalists. Even daemons are scared to ride in them.


well that and unlike loyalist pods they can take off again and act like flyers


Remember the lore was that the astartes that turned to chaos took everything they had with them from the 30K timeline and thanks to warp time shenanigans they still have the tech that the wider imperium forgot how to make.


Yeah that’s why SM can field 3 types of terminator armour and CSM have 1 lol


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
They do. They're called Dreadclaws. They're available to csm only, loyalists can't use them, because their machine spirits are so fething evil they eat loyalists. Even daemons are scared to ride in them.


Thanks for the info now I just need to pay forgeworld 83 pounds for the model and the book with the rules.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/03/11 09:28:08


 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

mrFickle wrote:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
They do. They're called Dreadclaws. They're available to csm only, loyalists can't use them, because their machine spirits are so fething evil they eat loyalists. Even daemons are scared to ride in them.


Thanks for the info now I just need to pay forgeworld 83 pounds for the model and the book with the rules.

Well I never said they were free did I?

Now you know why csm players get so worked up when people start screaming about banning fw. The funny thing is the dreadclaw would be one of the easiest fw models for gw to convert to plastic. It's literally the normal drop pod kit with 14 resin conversion parts.

As for the terminator issue, nothing stopping you from playing the older marks, they just don't get special rules. Which is how it should be. We don't have different rules for mark 3 and mark 5 power armour so why have rules for different marks of terminator armour?

And I wouldn't go buying any fw books. They're about to be obsolete.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Gadzilla666 wrote:
mrFickle wrote:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
They do. They're called Dreadclaws. They're available to csm only, loyalists can't use them, because their machine spirits are so fething evil they eat loyalists. Even daemons are scared to ride in them.


Thanks for the info now I just need to pay forgeworld 83 pounds for the model and the book with the rules.

Well I never said they were free did I?

Now you know why csm players get so worked up when people start screaming about banning fw. The funny thing is the dreadclaw would be one of the easiest fw models for gw to convert to plastic. It's literally the normal drop pod kit with 14 resin conversion parts.

As for the terminator issue, nothing stopping you from playing the older marks, they just don't get special rules. Which is how it should be. We don't have different rules for mark 3 and mark 5 power armour so why have rules for different marks of terminator armour?

And I wouldn't go buying any fw books. They're about to be obsolete.


Except that SM get different rules for Cat and Tart terminator armour.

FW shouldn’t be banned they should just have all 40k models on the GW website and in the codex or free PDF rules for supplementary releases.

I don’t Really understand the difference between the material FW use and GW. I just spent 40 quid on 5 kokophonie troops and what was in the box didn’t look particularly different to the models you get from a GW order. The material actually looked more like the tech marine and servitors I bought some time ago.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/03/11 10:16:44


 
   
Made in gb
Junior Officer with Laspistol




Manchester, UK

It's pretty easy to convert a drop pod into a dreadclaw. I had an opponent who just mounted some downward claw things to it.

The Tvashtan 422nd "Fire Leopards" - Updated 19/03/11

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

mrFickle wrote:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
mrFickle wrote:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
They do. They're called Dreadclaws. They're available to csm only, loyalists can't use them, because their machine spirits are so fething evil they eat loyalists. Even daemons are scared to ride in them.


Thanks for the info now I just need to pay forgeworld 83 pounds for the model and the book with the rules.

Well I never said they were free did I?

Now you know why csm players get so worked up when people start screaming about banning fw. The funny thing is the dreadclaw would be one of the easiest fw models for gw to convert to plastic. It's literally the normal drop pod kit with 14 resin conversion parts.

As for the terminator issue, nothing stopping you from playing the older marks, they just don't get special rules. Which is how it should be. We don't have different rules for mark 3 and mark 5 power armour so why have rules for different marks of terminator armour?

And I wouldn't go buying any fw books. They're about to be obsolete.


Except that SM get different rules for Cat and Tart terminator armour.

FW shouldn’t be banned they should just have all 40k models on the GW website and in the codex or free PDF rules for supplementary releases.

I don’t Really understand the difference between the material FW use and GW. I just spent 40 quid on 5 kokophonie troops and what was in the box didn’t look particularly different to the models you get from a GW order. The material actually looked more like the tech marine and servitors I bought some time ago.

Agreed on your point on fw rules.

On the termis, like I said, all marks should have the same rules, be they loyalist or heretic. (Course I'm biased because most of my terminators are cataphractii and I'd prefer them staying the same price. Feth that 4++).

Fw uses resin, which is cheaper when it comes to making molds, thus better for models that won't sell as much. I'd guess your tech marine is finecast which is a form of resin casting.

And I'm jealous, those kokophoni are wicked. Always wanted to get a set and convert them along with the special edition noise marine into a Night Lords black metal band.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





The kokophonie who’ll hopefully become standard models, the already look chaotic and I can’t see how they would be difficult to convert to plastic. They are so much better than the noise marine conversion pack that’s currently available And with the new Fabius model coming out I’m hoping an EC codex is just around the corner.
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





carefull what you wish for.

IF EC get's out you can bet your backside that you are not getting a full roster, like TS and DG.
(not to mention that the CSM roster isn't even complete comparaed to other factions, even if you use FW.)

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




Drop Pods and some other vehicles like Land Speeders are powered by loyalty to the almighty Emperor and as a result don't work for traitors and heretics. In fact if they try and use them the vehicles just explode.

tremere47-fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate, leads to triple riptide spam  
   
Made in gb
Junior Officer with Laspistol




Manchester, UK

pm713 wrote:
Drop Pods and some other vehicles like Land Speeders are powered by loyalty to the almighty Emperor and as a result don't work for traitors and heretics. In fact if they try and use them the vehicles just explode.


That can't be true. Dark Angels use loads.

The Tvashtan 422nd "Fire Leopards" - Updated 19/03/11

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran



London

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dude,_Where%27s_my_Land_Speeder%3F

ADB answers your question...
   
Made in gb
Junior Officer with Laspistol




Manchester, UK

The_Real_Chris wrote:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dude,_Where%27s_my_Land_Speeder%3F

ADB answers your question...


Wait, do chaos not get bikes anymore? I know I don't pay attention but I swear they used to.

The Tvashtan 422nd "Fire Leopards" - Updated 19/03/11

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

The_Real_Chris wrote:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dude,_Where%27s_my_Land_Speeder%3F

ADB answers your question...



That was fething great.
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Trickstick wrote:
The_Real_Chris wrote:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dude,_Where%27s_my_Land_Speeder%3F

ADB answers your question...


Wait, do chaos not get bikes anymore? I know I don't pay attention but I swear they used to.


Yes but not jetbikes, even though heresy era tech

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

Not Online!!! wrote:
 Trickstick wrote:
The_Real_Chris wrote:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dude,_Where%27s_my_Land_Speeder%3F

ADB answers your question...


Wait, do chaos not get bikes anymore? I know I don't pay attention but I swear they used to.


Yes but not jetbikes, even though heresy era tech

I'd settle for some volkite chargers for my "terror squads? Phtthhbbtt. We don't need those anymore " Night Lords.
   
Made in gb
Junior Officer with Laspistol




Manchester, UK

Gadzilla666 wrote:
I'd settle for some volkite chargers for my "terror squads? Phtthhbbtt. We don't need those anymore " Night Lords.


Even Guard get Volkites now, Chaos really should work on their logistics. It is what wins wars.

The Tvashtan 422nd "Fire Leopards" - Updated 19/03/11

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor 
   
Made in ch
Revered Rogue Psyker





 Trickstick wrote:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
I'd settle for some volkite chargers for my "terror squads? Phtthhbbtt. We don't need those anymore " Night Lords.


Even Guard get Volkites now, Chaos really should work on their logistics. It is what wins wars.


he now, we get dragons.

Spoiler:
tbf i'd rather have seen plastic helltalons, like wtf GW why make a relatively half the time aesthtically not pleasing dragon, when you have an actual daemonengine plane hybrid that looks mean AF)

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
Trick Question, of course it's the loyalists!

(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost and 8th edition.) 
   
Made in us
Morphing Obliterator



The dark hollows of Kentucky

Not Online!!! wrote:
 Trickstick wrote:
Gadzilla666 wrote:
I'd settle for some volkite chargers for my "terror squads? Phtthhbbtt. We don't need those anymore " Night Lords.


Even Guard get Volkites now, Chaos really should work on their logistics. It is what wins wars.


he now, we get dragons.

Spoiler:
tbf i'd rather have seen plastic helltalons, like wtf GW why make a relatively half the time aesthtically not pleasing dragon, when you have an actual daemonengine plane hybrid that looks mean AF)

They could at least include a fething flight stand that works out of the box. (Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for milliput).
   
Made in fr
Been Around the Block




There is only one answer to this question :

To further differentiate the factions.

That's it.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: