Switch Theme:

Is Armada dead?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control




AZ

I love BFG and been very faithful to GW but I would like a space minature game I can play. Is the community big? Its hard finding a BFG game what about Armada? ? ?



 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

It's very much alive, though it will depend on your local community. The biggest issue you'll have with Armada is that certain ships can be very hard to get a hold of, as the game is plagued by constant inventory shortages. Originally it was planned that Clone Wars factions would be added this year, it's unclear if this whole situation has pushed that back or not, and the doves have said they have a release schedule planned out until somewhere around 2023 iirc, during which time the game should be receiving regular and frequent new releases.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in us
Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control




AZ

Yeah I would love an Imperial Fleet but I’m afraid that I’ll have no one to play with. Idk how I would get a game in. The idea of premade and prepainted models, with a game that is still running and gets updates is awesome. I just need players.



 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Armpit of NY

It is definitely very much a local question. In my area, X-Wing and Armada were already in decline before the pandemic. So at least for me, I know Armada would not be a good investment if the goal was playing. If you just want some cool ship models, that's one thing, but locally the FFG scene is hurting in general, and Armada particularly.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





It's not dead, but its the least frequently updated of FFG's SW games so it can sometimes be hard to tell.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





My local area has bounced back and forth. When Armada first came out, all the Star Wars X-Wing gang got it. However, no one was able to schedule a game together so it died. The X-Wing people got into Legion when it was released, and Armada was briefly brought back, but then all of them were more interested in playing Destiny. Now that Destiny is fully dead, Armada has been brought back, though I wasn't able to get a game in before this whole pandemic thing as games would start at 8pm and go until around midnight and later.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





washington state USA

I use the SW armada and the old collectable minis game ships(for the clone wars era ships) just like i use the star trek attack wing ships for use in the agents of gaming Babylon 5 wars game conversions.


All of it here for free
(it has also been converted into just about every scifi universe including wing commander, battlestar galactics and even a little bit of BFG)


http://b5warsvault.wikidot.com/

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 aphyon wrote:
I use the SW armada and the old collectable minis game ships(for the clone wars era ships) just like i use the star trek attack wing ships for use in the agents of gaming Babylon 5 wars game conversions.


All of it here for free
(it has also been converted into just about every scifi universe including wing commander, battlestar galactics and even a little bit of BFG)


http://b5warsvault.wikidot.com/


Ah, a fellow B5 Wars player? Always good to see others around the internet!

I would think the Armada ships would be too big for any B5 Wars game though? (Admittedly, I only got the Fleet Action scale so gaming on the hex map would be easier)

Admittedly, while I enjoy and often prefer the older, more "detailed", starship combat games, I find Armada and Dropfleet Commander to be the better of the newer simpler games.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





washington state USA

Arcanis161 wrote:
 aphyon wrote:
I use the SW armada and the old collectable minis game ships(for the clone wars era ships) just like i use the star trek attack wing ships for use in the agents of gaming Babylon 5 wars game conversions.


All of it here for free
(it has also been converted into just about every scifi universe including wing commander, battlestar galactics and even a little bit of BFG)


http://b5warsvault.wikidot.com/


Ah, a fellow B5 Wars player? Always good to see others around the internet!

I would think the Armada ships would be too big for any B5 Wars game though? (Admittedly, I only got the Fleet Action scale so gaming on the hex map would be easier)

Admittedly, while I enjoy and often prefer the older, more "detailed", starship combat games, I find Armada and Dropfleet Commander to be the better of the newer simpler games.


Size is relative, the armada ships are prefectly fine using 3d terrain rules on a 8'X4' table


 
   
Made in us
Dangerous Outrider






I hope not, I just bought the super star destroyer, but with social distancing, I don't know when I will get another game in.


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





washington state USA

Yes but YOU HAVE A SUPER STAR DESETROYER!


All is well with the world...carry on.





p.s. i have the star trek attack wing equivalent -DS9

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I have certainly considered picking that thing up just to have.
   
Made in gb
Legendary Dogfighter




england

Dead on arrival.
£100 starters.
£200 SUPPER STAR STROY!!!
   
Made in us
Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control




AZ

Does that mean it’s dead though? Or just expensive?



 
   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






Yeah, thats nonsense. It may be expensive but that does not equal dead on arrival. The developers were saying on one of the live chats before they shut down that the Clone Wars factions were pretty much ready for their initial release, they would not be releasing two new factions if the game was dead.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
Backfire wrote:
Nobody kills his dad and participates in genocide just for cosplay.
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




It's definitely a local thing, I think. In the larger towns and cities around me (Scotland's central belt) you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to get games of 40k, X-Wing and AoS, along with things like Warcry and Kill Team regardless of which group/store you're attending and without needing to arrange ahead of time.

Armada falls into the second category around here of "can get a game if you plan ahead". There are people that play it, but you're likely going to have to sort something out in advance and the numbers playing are lower than the other games I mentioned.

It might be that some people are lucky enough to have Armada fall into the first category of games in their locale but IME it's going to be very location dependent. The game itself has always had somewhat sporadic support from FFG which hasn't helped it maintain or generate momentum but it's definitely not dead.
   
Made in us
Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control




AZ

Does anyone know if you will be able to mix the clone wars stuff with the Imperial stuff? Like fight imperial vs clones, clones vs rebels, rebels vs clankers etc...



 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





usmcmidn wrote:
Does anyone know if you will be able to mix the clone wars stuff with the Imperial stuff? Like fight imperial vs clones, clones vs rebels, rebels vs clankers etc...


I'd assume so. You can in X-Wing and Legion.
   
Made in us
Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control




AZ

Are they going to have any huge ships like the SSD? That would be sick.

And I’ve been thinking about it, I guess I’m going to drop money on Armada now. The SSD is just to sweet to pass up.



 
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot




New Jersey, State of Perfection

usmcmidn wrote:
Are they going to have any huge ships like the SSD? That would be sick.


Nobody knows. The general assumption, at least, is that the Separatsists will get the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser, and there is the possibility that Lucrehulk-class Battleships will also be a "huge" ship, as both of them are 2-3 times larger than an Imperial Star Destroyer (but still significantly smaller than an SSD). As for the Republic, there really isn't anything in canon that fits the bill, in legends theres the Mandator I/II class (which could well be canonical as the dreadnought in The Last Jedi was a Mandator IV class), but nobody really knows what they look like or if they might make it into the game or not.

This ain't no pansy GW Armor, son - Digital Sculpting Plog, Now with Heavy Weapon Platforms!
Sympathy for the Devil, or: The Project Log from Hell

Ma55ter_fett wrote:It reads like the ramblings of a Nigerian lobotomized Shakespeare typed into a cellphone with a very aggressive autocomplete function.
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





washington state USA

chaos0xomega wrote:
usmcmidn wrote:
Are they going to have any huge ships like the SSD? That would be sick.


Nobody knows. The general assumption, at least, is that the Separatsists will get the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser, and there is the possibility that Lucrehulk-class Battleships will also be a "huge" ship, as both of them are 2-3 times larger than an Imperial Star Destroyer (but still significantly smaller than an SSD). As for the Republic, there really isn't anything in canon that fits the bill, in legends theres the Mandator I/II class (which could well be canonical as the dreadnought in The Last Jedi was a Mandator IV class), but nobody really knows what they look like or if they might make it into the game or not.


I am hoping they re-release the ships that were in the old collectible miniature game from the clone wars era. the republic side primarily had the acclamator landing ship and the venator class star destroyer. with a smattering of less well known ships like the star dreadnought and carrack.

The CIS side however had alot more options given how many factions were involved. the common clam shell banking clan munificiant class comms frigate, commerce guild recuscant light destroyer, geonosian corvette, the providence class carrier/command ship (dookoos flag ship that anakin crashed in the begining of revenge of the sith.) Then there are all the variants of the trade federation battleships and techno union hardcell ships.

 
   
Made in us
Second Story Man




Astonished of Heck

Technically the Victory had an early deployment at the end of the Clone Wars, but that gets fuzzy depending on which text you pay attention to.

FFG hasn't been a slouch at including EU ships in the past, so it would be nice to see the Katana-style Dreadnoughts and Carracks that the militias would have used in plastic as well, even as a third faction (not everyone was so solidly behind either side, after all, like Mandalor).

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Megavolt wrote:They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
 
   
Made in us
Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control




AZ

I’m hoping Luckas and FFG doesn’t forget about this game. It sounds like a lot of cool stuff is about to come out. I’m a little worried though especially BF2 is not getting anymore love. I hope it doesn’t happen to Armada.



 
   
Made in gb
Legendary Dogfighter




england

usmcmidn wrote:
Does that mean it’s dead though? Or just expensive?

It means shelves of stock not shifting because nobody is paying £50 a ship.
If nobody is buying it then nobody is playing it.
If nobody is playing it nobody is keeping it alive.
If nobody is keeping it alive... Its dead.
   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






 ValentineGames wrote:
usmcmidn wrote:
Does that mean it’s dead though? Or just expensive?

It means shelves of stock not shifting because nobody is paying £50 a ship.
If nobody is buying it then nobody is playing it.
If nobody is playing it nobody is keeping it alive.
If nobody is keeping it alive... Its dead.


Ah yes, shelves of stock just sitting there. Lets have a look shall we;
Wayland games- 1 core set, 10+ Onager. Everything else sold out.
Miniature Market - 20+ Rebellion in the Rim, 20+ Victory class, 8x Reb Transports, 14x Imp carriers, 3x CR-90. Everything else sold out.
Firestorm games - 1x Onager. Everything else sold out.
Combat Company - 4x Rebellion in the Rim, 3x CR-90, 1x Home one, 4x Nebulon B, 2x Phoenix Home, 4x Profundity, 3x Victory, 4x Reb transport. Everything else sold out.
Mighty Ape - Only shows in stock items and has 9 different kits available (also the only one to have the SSD).

Even FFG's website has half their stuff out of stock, including the SSD. Did you actually bother to check?

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
Backfire wrote:
Nobody kills his dad and participates in genocide just for cosplay.
 
   
Made in gb
Wise Ethereal with Bodyguard







Or it just means they dont make very many packs

Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Armpit of NY

That stuff is out of stock is meaningless given the current situation. It doesn’t equate that it was selling well. Rather it could be just normal or slow sales that can’t be replenished right now, just as easily.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Yeah, I don't think we can look at current stock levels as any indication of popularity in general, but certainly not right now. In the current global situation using that metric makes every game look like it's doing fantastically well.

The best that can be said about Armada right now is that FFG are continuing to support it but their support has been less than stellar over the last couple of years, with long periods of silence and a relatively light release schedule. That's why I'd advise anyone to look at the local scene. IT's not a dead game by any means, and in some places it's very popular but there's probably about a 50/50 chance of living somewhere with very little Armada going on.
   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






Yeah, sorry was not saying that stock level is an indicator of the health of the game but was disputing that there are shelves of it gathering dust as an indicator that it was dead on arrival.

Would definitely advise anyone to have a look at the local scene to see if there is interest, where I live there is one person who collects but go forty miles in either direction and there are clusters of a half dozen. Facebook is probably the best place to find players (along with LGS) either on the National pages or State/City ones.

Hopefully when all this Covid stuff is over FFG will announce the new factions and that will breath some new life into the game, though their silence during all of this has been baffling. Pretty much every other company is still making announcements/previews and we have had one thing from FFG (and they managed to bungle that, twice).

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
Backfire wrote:
Nobody kills his dad and participates in genocide just for cosplay.
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Armada was hurting pretty bad two years ago with slow releases and laughably-bad delays, but with the RITR campaign and the SSD (plus the Onager and the Starhawk releases) all landing in the last year, it got a LOT of attention. With the CW content announced for Q4 2020 (nobody believes that this will actually happen), there's a fair amount of excitement going forward.

There's still enough interest that things like the Arquitens have been reliably selling out more or less immediately upon arrival.

It's hard to gauge the general health of the game from the outside, but there's a pretty healthy online community around it, and while tournaments aren't drawing XWing numbers, they are generally pulling good numbers.

Locally can vary quite a bit, but I can echo the above posters that you should look and see what the scene looks like before jumping in. There are facebook groups around for most of the communities who could get you in touch with a local player.
   
 
Forum Index » Fantasy Flight Miniature Games (Star Wars)
Go to: