Switch Theme:

When Why & How did you get into 40k / Stop Playing, How is Coming back in 9e?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Crazed Zealot




South East UK

A fairly long winded title, but for me interest happened when I was about 9 or 10 as I loved the models and stories i think, looking at old mini release dates, I didn't actually realise how long it had been since I last took a solid interest in the hobby.

Making this post in a different thread it became apparent its probably useful for other returnee's and newcomers alike :-


I didn't actually realise the years and dates of editions till I looked last night, I /actually/ last probably played in about 04, but entered the hobby in around 97. (I feel old af now)

With that in mind, given the amount of information on editions in here, how would you guys recommend I get back in?

Play smaller scale games? Play what I know? Or just step back out again, It sounds as though unless you've been with it since the release of 9th, forget about it, as by the time I've got a handle on it we'll be in 10th
.


I'm curious I guess as to when you entered the hobby. How you've found and joined groups if you stopped playing? or even something as moved house so lost your old local hobby group due to life.

I'm hoping this thread can bridge the gap a little and offer up some encouragement to people looking to start or return, advice from all is welcome, from hardcore tourney players to narrative fluff lovers. Any reccomemded channels to watch etc welcomed too.

<3 xo

(I may edit this, if it comes out as waffle

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/12 20:24:51


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut



London

I would say if you like the models get kill team. Great variety and nice short games.

Feel free to collect armies of stuff you like but at this stage getting into 9th is only really worth it if you like match play 2000pt games and are willing to put a lot of reading time in and buy multiple supplements. There has been a lot of sprawl since the release and while it’s still a simple game the amount of complication in all the stuff you would like to know is very high.

If people start off a slow grow league or crusade game feel free to jump in but be aware you will have a lot of ‘gotchas’ thrown at you by other armies.

Personally I am increasingly sitting back and waiting for 10th to see if I continue playing or if I drop out again like I did after 2nd and play other stuff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/13 00:27:30


 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






If you played that long ago, you should probably look into playing a few games by borrowing armies or maybe just spectating games at a local store or watching people playing on youtube.

The game has gone through some significant changes over the years, and many people here are very vocal about not liking those changes. Maye it's the same for you, maybe it's not. Best find out without investing too much.

Outside of that, I think it it's perfectly possible to learn 9th in a few games, I usually takes me 2-3 games to get a new player ready for "real" games. The trick is learning by playing and focusing on the rules that you actually need to play, and not overloading yourself with trying to understand everything that makes up 40k currently before jumping back in. There is just too much of 40k to do that (commonly referred to as "bloat").

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in es
[DCM]
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor






your mind

If you have time and money, like to paint and hobby,, buy models that you like and do that while monitoring dakka and listening to podcasts and watching or listening to bat-reps such as scorpion82 and mini war gaming and snd… many others to get a feel. Can see also reports using kill team and Necromunda yada… I have split my attention between collecting old metals and new plastic releases while doing similarly. If you want and can find people to game or hobby with, dranks maybe whatever then, well one of the podcasts that I listen to just did a cast on the best thing about war gaming.., friendships, if you want and can, work on finding like minded peeps and see where the interest is before forcing expectations. If you walk into a gw store, I suppose that you know what to expect. Basically it is a new car dealer… I did have some good times at my local gw before moving recently though didn’t invest much time into gaming there… just not a lot of time plus the past two years locked down were hard. Garage hammer is where I would like to be, basement hammer, kitchen hammer even, so it depends on what you are after but I would suggest getting into what you enjoy first before sinking time and energy and money into one thing or another.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/12 21:34:34


   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:


With that in mind, given the amount of information on editions in here, how would you guys recommend I get back in?

Play smaller scale games? Play what I know? Or just step back out again, It sounds as though unless you've been with it since the release of 9th, forget about it, as by the time I've got a handle on it we'll be in 10th[/i].


Nah, you'll be fine hopping in right now.
You already know the basics of how to play this game so all you're really doing is re-learning the finer details. Wich is really just figuring out your army specific rules & wich stategems to play when. And playing a handfull of games'll take care most of that.
So pull what you've got out of storage, get the current rulebook & whatever Codex you need, and ask as many questions as you need.

As to the size of games to play? Starting small has always been the best general advice.


 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:
I'm curious I guess as to when you entered the hobby. How you've found and joined groups if you stopped playing? or even something as moved house so lost your old local hobby group due to life.


Me? I started playing in the closing days of Rogue Trader, when the Space Wolves made their debut in the pages of White Dwarf.
I've played every edition to date.
Although for 7th I can only claim 1 game, didn't realize that the edition had changed, and never bought (or pirated!) a single 7e book. (the people I was playing with didn't realize I didn't realize, none of them were familiar with my army, & thus they had no reason go "Hey, wait a moment...."

Just seek out your local shop(s), see how they play, & work your way into the action.
   
Made in gb
Crazed Zealot




South East UK

The_Real_Chris wrote:I would say if you like the models get kill team. Great variety and nice short games.

Feel free to collect armies of stuff you like but at this stage getting into 9th is only really worth it if you like match play 2000pt games and are willing to put a lot of reading time in and buy multiple supplements. There has been a lot of sprawl since the release and while it’s still a simple game the amount of complexity in all the stuff you would like to know is very high.

If people start off a slow grow league or crusade game feel free to jump in but be aware you will have a lot of ‘gotchas’ thrown at you by other armies.

Personally I am increasingly sitting back and waiting for 10th to see if I continue playing or if I drop out again like I did after 2nd and play other stuff.


Jidmah wrote:If you played that long ago, you should probably look into playing a few games by borrowing armies or maybe just spectating games at a local store or watching people playing on youtube.

The game has gone through some significant changes over the years, and many people here are very vocal about not liking those changes. Maye it's the same for you, maybe it's not. Best find out without investing too much.

Outside of that, I think it it's perfectly possible to learn 9th in a few games, I usually takes me 2-3 games to get a new player ready for "real" games. The trick is learning by playing and focusing on the rules that you actually need to play, and not overloading yourself with trying to understand everything that makes up 40k currently before jumping back in. There is just too much of 40k to do that (commonly referred to as "bloat").



Any good yt channels to recommend? I've got plenty of minis to trial with, one thing I did find which I'd entirely recommend to anyone else in my situation is "battlescribe" it's really good for just throwing out armies, mixing up options, see what points go where and flags up any roster issues of things you've missed or can't have.

Regarding supplements I don't mind them IF they contain some fluff and more rules, if it's just, here's another book with more rules, it'd get old with me fast, my favorite thing about the game is the lore and creating forces that fit the feel of the setting or world they're stationed on.

I've taken to the idea of trying to "advance my modelling" more as a personal quest and starting at a 500 points force thanks to Jeff and a couple others from another thread. as there's new plastics for my favorite faction. I do like the idea of the crusades too, though haven't had opportunity to put any into practise.

I do feel a crushing urge to finish getting what I need for my dkok as I far prefer the FW minis to the killteam plastics, the plastics look chubby and less desperate / gaunt in case they get dropped from forge world.

What do you mean by "Gotchas"? that's a term I've heard twice today

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/12 21:46:32


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




NE Ohio, USA

 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:
.
Regarding supplements I don't mind them IF they contain some fluff and more rules, if it's just, here's another book with more rules, it'd get old with me fast, my favorite thing about the game is the lore and creating forces that fit the feel of the setting or world they're stationed on.


You'll like the current supplements then.
You've got years & years of lore to catch up on & the current supplements are 90%+ lore & pretty pictures
.


 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:
.What do you mean by "Gotchas"? that's a term I've heard twice today


People get way too hung up on knowing/not knowing what the other guys army is capable of. They're stuck on this mindset that they have to know ALL the armies, wether they play them or not. "If I'd known {unit} could do _____!") If they don't know something they feel they're likely to fall victim to some sort of trap or miss-play that'll lose them the game.

   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




A gotcha is a special rule/stratagem/tactic that is used to surprise the opponent. It usually goes against normal rules(like shooting all available units on an overwatch vs just the unit being charged). The gotcha part is when your opponent doesn't tell you that a certain action can be made when you didn't know it out of pure ignorance, then they "spring" it on you.

Many people frown on gotcha moments in casual games. Most prefer being a sporting opponent and letting you know that if you do a certain something, then it allows them to perform that action.

There are many youtubers that have popular streams. Tabletop Titans, Tabletop Tactics, Play on Tabletop, and many more. Some are more serious/competitive, others are more casual. Some livestream games(which can take up to 3-4 hours) others edit the games and keep it to around an hour or so.
   
Made in gb
Crazed Zealot




South East UK

ccs wrote:
 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:
.
Regarding supplements I don't mind them IF they contain some fluff and more rules, if it's just, here's another book with more rules, it'd get old with me fast, my favorite thing about the game is the lore and creating forces that fit the feel of the setting or world they're stationed on.


You'll like the current supplements then.
You've got years & years of lore to catch up on & the current supplements are 90%+ lore & pretty pictures
.


 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:
.What do you mean by "Gotchas"? that's a term I've heard twice today


People get way too hung up on knowing/not knowing what the other guys army is capable of. They're stuck on this mindset that they have to know ALL the armies, wether they play them or not. "If I'd known {unit} could do _____!") If they don't know something they feel they're likely to fall victim to some sort of trap or miss-play that'll lose them the game.



I live in fear of what they've done to the lore...
Like sister, grab the flamer, nono the HEAVY flamer.

Oh Gotchas, tryhards, the must winners. I tend to try and those sorts of people entirely if I'm honest, I find them literal fun sappers.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Domandi wrote:
A gotcha is a special rule/stratagem/tactic that is used to surprise the opponent. It usually goes against normal rules(like shooting all available units on an overwatch vs just the unit being charged). The gotcha part is when your opponent doesn't tell you that a certain action can be made when you didn't know it out of pure ignorance, then they "spring" it on you.

Many people frown on gotcha moments in casual games. Most prefer being a sporting opponent and letting you know that if you do a certain something, then it allows them to perform that action.

There are many youtubers that have popular streams. Tabletop Titans, Tabletop Tactics, Play on Tabletop, and many more. Some are more serious/competitive, others are more casual. Some livestream games(which can take up to 3-4 hours) others edit the games and keep it to around an hour or so.


Aaaahhh, and I'll have to watch some of those long streams whilst I'm modelling and the other half's pulling a late work night, the fact they aren't trimmed sounds ideal! Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/12 22:43:35


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut



London

 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:
What do you mean by "Gotchas"? that's a term I've heard twice today


With the amount of special rules, auras, one off interactions and cards, there is a lot units can do that departs from the core rules and indeed their own faction rules.

In casual games most good players will warn you about them/tell you about them. For example if you are castling up with an amazing overwatch unit a good oppo will tell you if for 1 co he can stop you over watching. That way you will know you will need to screen your troops as well as use your overwatch.

Or if when explaining my army I explain that when I jump out of a Valkyrie I get extra shots on 5+’s so watch out for that air cav assault, rather than you expecting a normal volume of fire so have little reserves to cover the hole I will inevitably punch in your army.

As 40k has very basic core rules a lot of these things are needed to provide tactical choice and differentiation. Play other wargames and you will see how the core rules tend to be more complex so that even if you only have a narrow range of options it results in a lot of variability on the table and complex tactical decisions.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:


Any good yt channels to recommend? I've got plenty of minis to trial with, one thing I did find which I'd entirely recommend to anyone else in my situation is "battlescribe" it's really good for just throwing out armies, mixing up options, see what points go where and flags up any roster issues of things you've missed or can't have.


I like this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TabletopTitans

They have a nice balance between competitiveness, fun, and showcasing the hobby itself though nice tables and models.
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut



Bamberg / Erlangen

Even though I bought my first squad of Khorne Berserkers before the 3rd edition landed, it wasn't until I grabbed the glorious SM vs Dark Eldar starter box, that I actually started playing.

The amount of games and investment into 40k (and a little foray into Fantasy) got bigger over the years, with bi-weekly all nighters being held in my parents party basement with some good friends I made back then. I'd say the peak in enjoyment was somewhere between the release of Tau in 3rd and before Chaos in 4th.

We continued marrily until the end of 5th edition, where life happened to too many already and we were down to some core players.

6th already saw a further decline in players and 7th totally killed what little was left in my area.

I sold alot of my stuff (among other things my fantasy Bretons, because AoS...) and didn't bother with anything GW.

Reading a newsletter about the new Contrast paints was enough to spark my interest again in collecting and painting and around that time - by chance - I met a friend of a friend who was member of a back then newly founded tabletop club. That already was during 8th edition, so not 100% what you are asking for, but I found it easy to get into it again.

Personally I find it is largely the same game at it's core, with some details working a bit differently. 8th and 9th is so much better than what I remember back from 6th and 7th.

It isn't 3rd-4th edition for me, but nothing can be again. Apart from the rules framework, it is the time and the people back then that made it special.

Anyway, I hope you find enjoyment again in the hobby! Engaging with the community here, on Youtube and the official GW Twitch channel helped me get back in.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/13 08:16:59


Imperial Guard Space Marines
 
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





OP,

welcome back to 40k!

My advice to you is to use the models you love. Most players are happy to accept reasonable proxies and counts-as.

I would strongly recommend against buying too many of the GW print materials in a rush to "get caught up".

There is a certain website out there that we are not allowed to say here that will give you all the information you require.

Pick up the app battlescribe as well for a great army building tool.

Then get painting! Enjoy the hobby. If you haven't painted in quite some time, I highly recommend you give GWs contrast paints a go. They're great for knocking out tabletop ready minis and a lot of fun to use.

If 40k seems too daunting, give the new kill team a look too. Its got a lot of tactical depth to it and if you've got some of your old models around you can probably scrape together several different teams right away and get to dice rolling!

Enjoy and welcome back!
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





I too started at the tag end of Rogue Trader. The only editions I skipped were 6th and 7th; this is because neither of the armies I like the most (Sisters and GSC) received much attention from those editions.

Caveat: Yes, technically GSC did return to the game at the tag end of 7th; I did actually buy the 7th ed GSC Codex, just to read it. GW announced the transition campaign to move from 7th to 8th mere months after the GSC dex dropped, so I never bothered buying the BRB.
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran






Jump in, just start small. The game scales much better this edition than previous editions. Start with a Start Collecting or Combat Patrol box. Play with just the contents of the Start Collecting or Combat Patrol box until you get a feel for it, do not worry about winning, you're just getting a feel for the new system, etc. Once you're comfortable start adding units you like.

The absolute worst thing you can do when starting / restarting is concerning yourself with being competitive.

I'm an old grognard from 2nd edition. Started circa 1994. Was a MtG player, walked into my LGS and a new sales rack adorned with W40K product showed up; sank in its teeth and has never let go.

   
Made in us
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential





I started in 3rd/4th, stopped around the end of 5th and got back into it about a year ago. Been having a great time so far, 9th has its flaws but overall the game is a lot less fussy than back in the day and flows nicely IMO.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown." - Lawrence Walsh, Chinatown

"Yeah, f*ck you too!" - R.J. MacReady, The Thing 
   
Made in us
Gore-Soaked Lunatic Witchhunter







I think we're not going to be able to give you much useful advice other than "pay attention to who's playing and how in your local community." I stuck with 40k for a long time, and quit playing the current rules around the time 9th came out because I felt I could no longer play as casually as I wanted to and I wasn't prepared to invest the time and money required to keep up, but that's because my local community is largely hardcore tournament players that have driven most of the casual crowd to play other games or straight-up quit because the bar to keep up with hardcore tournament 40k is obnoxiously high. I really don't like 9th and would advise you to consider trying to play different wargames rather than assuming you should hop back into 40k, but if you don't have the same competitive-people-taking-over problem I do my experience may not be hugely relevant to you.

That said I would strongly advise you keep an open mind towards trying other minis wargames simply because 40k is a) the most expensive wargame around and b) changes very rapidly by comparison to everything else; there's a certain amount of keeping up with frequent rules changes and buying new stuff as things get nerfed/buffed/squatted at random that 40k requires that nothing else does, even independent of the high startup costs.

Balanced Game: Noun. A game in which all options and choices are worth using.
Homebrew oldhammer project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/790996.page#10896267
Meridian: Necromunda-based 40k skirmish: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/795374.page 
   
Made in us
Ork Boy Hangin' off a Trukk





I started 40k with 2nd edition, just before Dark Millennium was released (1993-1994?). I was mostly into the hobby aspects for several years, building, converting, and painting models, but enjoyed the zany 2nd edition games I played. I also got into Blood Bowl at the time. After college I took a break and came back to the recently-released at-the-time 4th edition (2004-2005?), having skipped 3rd edition entirely. I preferred the general simplification of rules and lack of wargear cards, vehicle datafaxes, warp psyker cards and all of the fiddly bits that were part of 2nd edition.

Due to life in general (additional school, marriage, etc.), I took a long break and left the hobby until getting back into Blood Bowl around 2017; that is still my favorite GW game and the only one I play competitively at tournaments. 40k 8th edition had just been released and I liked what I was reading about it. So I dipped my toe in and found that I liked 8th edition, at least prior to the Space Marine 2.0 codex release. After that release 8th edition took a nose-dive for me (and others from what I have read) with the increasing amount of stratagems, doctrines, super-doctrines, supplement codexes, and supplement Vigilus and Psychic Awakening books with more and more layers of rules. To me 9th edition is a continuation of that era of 8th edition, with a heavy focus on tournament/competitive play; not something I am interested in as I do not believe 40k has ever been a good system for competitive, tournament-level play (across all editions).

So I'm back to focusing on the hobby aspect of 40k, which I still enjoy (mostly working with older models, especially a lot of the metal sculpts which I prefer). Blood Bowl gets the majority of gaming time, but when I play 40k these days I prefer going back to earlier editions like 4th edition as well as the new edition of Apocalypse rules. There are fewer "gotcha" rules to memorize and keep track of, no constant rules and FAQ changes, and the games feel more like tabletop "wargames" instead of stratagem card games with models moving back and forth.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/09/13 18:41:11


Apocalypse/40K: Orks, Imperial Guard, Eldar, Space Wolves, Necrons, Dark Eldar
AOS: Stormcast, Sons of Behemat (Mantic and D&D giants)
Blood Bowl: Orcs, Dark Elves, Chaos Dwarves, Undead, Wood/Pro Elves, Humans, Skaven, Goblins, Dwarves, Necromantic, Khemri, Snotlings, Underworld, Vampires, Lizardmen, Chaos, Amazons, Ogres, Halflings 
   
Made in us
Powerful Pegasus Knight






Stopped in 8e because the game wasn't fun, tried 9e and the game wasn't fun so stopped again.

"Don't Feed the Troll"

ETC is the forum equivalent of a short bus. 
   
Made in de
Terrifying Doombull






Nuremberg

I got into the game in 2e, by playing the Vengeance of the Blood Angels game for the Playstation. A friend of my older brother heard us talking about it and thought we meant the tabletop game. He loaned my brother the books and I took them on a family holiday and just devoured them. I'd already been into 2000AD for years, and this seemed to me to be sort of the same sort of world, but with tolkienesque Elves and Dwarves, in space? I was immediately hooked.

Got the 2e starter, and played games with my brothers, got my friends in school into it, made terrain and so on. Played and started clubs all through 2e, 3e, 4e and 5e. I switched to Orks at the start of 3e from my Blood Angels, and stuck with them the whole way through.

In 6e I moved country, and left my old group behind. I had to spend a few years learning the language, and then my professional life got pretty hectic. Recently I've been getting back into the game, buying a bunch of the bundle sets and getting really excited. But I've sort of bounced off the 40K rules due to cost and complexity, so I'm playing One Page Rules with work colleagues and my spouse. Would like to try 9th though.

   
Made in us
Wicked Canoptek Wraith




Sentient Void

Coming back for 9th was like looking in a teenager's room then slamming the door right away due to the rank smell and greasy mess. At least with GW I can stop the money sink. The only 9E era GW products I currently purchase are paint related.

Member of the Coalition for an Asmodee buy out of Games Workshop 
   
Made in gb
Crazed Zealot




South East UK

 Tokhuah wrote:
Coming back for 9th was like looking in a teenager's room then slamming the door right away due to the rank smell and greasy mess. At least with GW I can stop the money sink. The only 9E era GW products I currently purchase are paint related.


LMAO , that was kind of how i intially felt looking at it , though there does seem to be some cool aspects. Ive set myself some relatively simple targets around things i never did such as trying to base mini's better and a higher standard painting. i mean i could throw down 2k points and go , but i think im gonna try almost start over at a 500 and technique experiment more. See if i can get some simplified rules games in down at the local store.

I have read all the replies, im gonna go back i think and drag links to channels people have suggested on my first post in case anyone happens across this thread looking for the same thing <3
   
Made in us
Inspiring SDF-1 Bridge Officer





Mississippi

Started in RT as a side game (I generally play RPG’s). Quit playing after a bad experience in 2E, but continued to collect models. I picked the game back up in late 5E when my eldest son showed interest (playing Dawn of War). Played through 6th and a little of 7th. Came back again for 8th using primarily indexes, but stopped playing by the time Psychic Awakening hit. Have no interest in 9th, and my son has gone back to playing Dawn of War instead of the TT version.

When I do get to play, I prefer using 8E rules (I now have the Codexes, but prefer indexes still), and do small games around 1K points (though I have over eight armies around 4K points).

It never ends well 
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User




Started playing 2nd edition. Started moving away from historical into WHFB and 40K. Always liked the models. Liked the group I was gamis with but Started to dislike the really aggressive "Next big Thing" that GW was doing even though I was buying into it. (Surprise - they have continued to get better at it)

Got some gaming stuff pop up in my Youtube feed and started watching the vids/painting guidees/ battle reports and decided to go into the basement and open the boxes I had for 20+ years and discovered some terribly painted eldar and a -literal- bucket of Space Marines.

I sense a much better core set of rules, and a larger amount of gotcha's/special rules/scope creep that could be just as well be standardized. Still working my way through the strategies to see what is all about.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/09/15 01:59:33


 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User





I started with Warhammer fantasy battles 2nd addition in 1995. Started Warhammer 40K in early 2000s, did Epic, BFG, Gorkamorka, all the classics. Participated in Armageddon and Eye of Terror Global Campaigns.

Faded out around 2003. Started getting into it again a few months ago when my kids found my models!

So now me and the kids are still playing 40K 3rd edition and warhammer fantasy 2nd edition, and Gorkamorka. Who cares if its old, they are great games.

I've played some of the new smaller games like Aeronautica with my brother and we're looking forward to Necromunda. May get 9th edition (or whatever its up to) when my kids get older but I'm not in any rush.

BTW: Here is another reason why Games Workshop goes great with parenting. We've started converting my kid's old toy trucks, into orky trukks for Gorkamorka/Kult of Speed!
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






 Rhia_Stadtfeld wrote:
 Tokhuah wrote:
Coming back for 9th was like looking in a teenager's room then slamming the door right away due to the rank smell and greasy mess. At least with GW I can stop the money sink. The only 9E era GW products I currently purchase are paint related.


LMAO , that was kind of how i intially felt looking at it , though there does seem to be some cool aspects. Ive set myself some relatively simple targets around things i never did such as trying to base mini's better and a higher standard painting. i mean i could throw down 2k points and go , but i think im gonna try almost start over at a 500 and technique experiment more. See if i can get some simplified rules games in down at the local store.

I have read all the replies, im gonna go back i think and drag links to channels people have suggested on my first post in case anyone happens across this thread looking for the same thing <3


I'd urge you to consider carefully where and under what context you want to play.

(A) Do you have a group of prospective players you can play with casually at someone's home?

or....

(B) Are you relying on going to a shop or joining an established group or club?

or....

(C) Just interested in doing your own thing on your own (building an army, modeling/painting).

I mention this because if you're focused on Option B, you're more or less beholden to whatever game situation is already established. Most likely it's people playing 9th edition. But if there are sub-groups playing other GW games or OLDER editions, it would be worth at least asking.

I say all of this because at least here on Dakka, there is a pretty consistent disgruntlement about the state of 40K and how it's advancing. Lots of reasons for that, and the finer points are nothing new (too expensive! rules change all the time! new releases are too slow to come out! broken balance! too bloated!). These criticisms get rolled out continuously.

HOWEVER, there is a way to short circuit all of the above: play an older edition of 40K. Most people seem to defer to 5th edition as the favorite. IF you are in situation (A) above and have the opportunity to build your own group and teach them whatever edition, consider playing OldHammer. Some of the positives:

#1 - You can get the used rule and codex books for CHEAP. You can find most older items on Amazon used for just a few bucks. WAAAY cheaper to get back into.

#2 - You can focus on buying older miniatures/models that are used on ebay, which is much cheaper. You still have the flexibility to buy new models too - and if you really like something new that dosen't have old rules, you can just use it as a substitution / proxy easily enough. You may not be able to get away with that if playing in a store or more competitive environment.

#3 - The rules are done and aren't changing. If you invest in learning 5th edition (for example), you'll have all the codex's and materials you'll need and it won't be changed under your feet a year or two down the line. Essentially, by choosing an old edition, you avoid hoping on GW's never ending money-pumping treadmill in the first place. If you dive into 9th edition, just remember that 10th edition is only a couple years away and you'll have the pleasure of re-buying all the books again

As a shameless plug, check out the link in my signature. My group has been developing a "classic" 40K ruleset, which is about 80% 5th edition and the rest pulled from across 3rd through 7th edition. It's designed so that you can use any of the classic era codexes (from 3rd - 7th edition) without too much fuss. We're happy with it, and YMMV of course. But check it out.

Welcome back!


Want a better 40K?
Check out ProHammer: Classic - An Awesomely Unified Ruleset for 3rd - 7th Edition 40K... for retro 40k feels!
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

I stopped playing in July/August 2019, around the end of 8th edition. I didn't really understand why, but I couldn't face playing another game of it. Since then I've rationalized it that (a) I'm just not that into it, and (b) I'd rather do something else.

   
Made in us
Monster-Slaying Daemonhunter





I started in 5th edition, and I've been a part of it ever since...

until I had to move to a small town in the midwest during the pandemic. I don't consider myself 'out of it', but the last game I got in was in July when I went home to visit my friends and family, and that might be how it stays until I go home at Christmas time.

There is a game store here that does play 40k, but it's been practically impossible for me to break into the existing communities and get a game in. There isn't an organized league with a match schedule, and there isn't a paradigm of walking into the store and getting a pickup game. The community exists as enclaves of friends who organize games with each other in advance. This is obvious handled by talking to people and organizing games with them in advance as well, but... after having someone quit on an scheduled game with me to play somebody else twice, and other people just ignore me online, I've stopped trying, and instead joined the local Legion league, which is organized and does have a match schedule. I'll look into 40k again either once students start showing up to the local college, or after the current Legion league wraps up.


To their credit, I might not have made the best first impression to make them want to play me. I introduced myself by unapologetically erasing the Silent King in one turn, which made my opponent claim that Exorcists were OP and will be limited to 1 per army when the codex came [spoiler alert, they weren't. Also, seriously dude? You brought the Silent King and Nightbringer, and you're complaining about my Exorcists.]

Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades! 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut







Yeah. I mean, the "delete opponent's star model in a single shooting phase" is a problem in casual play.

I genuinely feel bad when my opponent brings his favorite (X) and my army instantly deletes it. Conversely, it always sucks when it happens to me, too.

But what are you gonna do? Hide it behind terrain?.... oh, it's 18 wounds.
   
Made in ie
Ruthless Rafkin





 Unit1126PLL wrote:
Yeah. I mean, the "delete opponent's star model in a single shooting phase" is a problem in casual play.

I genuinely feel bad when my opponent brings his favorite (X) and my army instantly deletes it. Conversely, it always sucks when it happens to me, too.

But what are you gonna do? Hide it behind terrain?.... oh, it's 18 wounds.


I assumed New Model Syndrome was a universal thing.


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: