Switch Theme:

Santa Monica X-Mas Hindered By Athiests  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine







So when Christians express their opinions it's fine.

But when atheists do it, they're provoking people and that's the same of shooting rockets at Israel? And that means its okay to vandalize and censor their opinions?
   
Made in gb
Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God






Inside your mind, corrupting the pathways

 Grey Templar wrote:
Set up your own holiday if you want.




Best holiday ever

   
Made in us
Bane Thrall





 Grey Templar wrote:
Thus its really is the Atheists fault for provoking such actions. Doesn't absolve the person who commited them of the sin, but the greater blame is on the person who provoked them.



GW Rules Interpretation Syndrom. GWRIS. Causes people to second guess a rule in a book because that's what they would have had to do in a GW system.


 SilverMK2 wrote:
"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"
 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

Depends on how they are expressing it.

The sign about myths was extremely provocative and offensive. Plus the Atheists taking up half the boothspaces.

The straw that broke the camel's back and stuff.

Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine







 Grey Templar wrote:
Depends on how they are expressing it.

The sign about myths was extremely provocative and offensive. Plus the Atheists taking up half the boothspaces.

The straw that broke the camel's back and stuff.


People complaining about offensive things is basically saying, "I can't handle my own emotions, so I want you to handle them for me."

Maybe I'm offended by your religion. According to Jesus, I'm going to hell for being an atheist. I'd like to be able to take a stroll down the street without being told I'm goin' to hell, thank you very much.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:15:55


 
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas


Frazzled wrote:Who? Coconut eating T Rexes?


Indians.

There are Indians in Santa Monica? Did they cross the land bridge?


Okay, now for some more serious points.
Try most elements of christmas.
As for your other points, that's just it. Most atheists *can't* go about their lives totally ignoring religion, although they'd love to. At least, I would. I'm making a pretty damn good effort, anyway.

Sure they can. Unless they work for a mosque it literally doesn't impact them.

Religions (christianity and islam especially, for some reason) tend not to look too kindly upon those that disagree with them, regardless of whether or not the dissenters are threatening or actively trying to subvert your beliefs. That right there is a very, very good reason to keep a very wary eye on any and all religious activity. But I think that's getting too in-depth and philosophical for this thread.

Yep. And? Thats why we have the Bill of Rights and the Second Amendment to protect us from evil doers. PLus the dark army that are lawyers.


Now, I don't actually agree with what these atheists did - as said, it smacks of trolling, although as I mentioned earlier it started a couple of years ago with one man manning a stall/booth/whatever to make a counterpoint to all the christian imagery being thrown in people's faces in december. That I can respect and even agree with.
Getting organised to be appointed most of the booths just to block the churches - not so much.

Its childish but I am ok if they followed the rules.

Vandalising booths belonging to these atheists, because you got blindsided - also not cool.

Agreed. Unless you have proof those stinking churchers did it though, its just spurious allegations.

Both parties were in the wrong, and I really do think the city was completely in the right when they said: "if neither of you can behave, then neither of you gets to have any stalls." That's just good parenting. Or governing, In this case, the two are pretty much synonymous.

Thye Jesus freaks weren't wrong. They never said the I believe in nothing brigade couldn't put up stalls (unless I missed something).

Again, as a virulent Church/state speratist on the order of the French Republic I'm ok with government "YOU OFF MY LAWN!" I just want the law enforced equally now matter which way.
I actually think the cross carriers will lose unless they can show not everyone has been treated the same.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:17:54


-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in us
Bane Thrall





 Grey Templar wrote:
Depends on how they are expressing it.

The sign about myths was extremely provocative and offensive. Plus the Atheists taking up half the boothspaces.

The straw that broke the camel's back and stuff.


Next person that calls my girlfriend a myth is getting killed! Luckily because they provoked it, I'll have less fault.

GW Rules Interpretation Syndrom. GWRIS. Causes people to second guess a rule in a book because that's what they would have had to do in a GW system.


 SilverMK2 wrote:
"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"
 
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

Mattman154 wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:
Depends on how they are expressing it.

The sign about myths was extremely provocative and offensive. Plus the Atheists taking up half the boothspaces.

The straw that broke the camel's back and stuff.


Next person that calls my girlfriend a myth is getting killed! Luckily because they provoked it, I'll have less fault.


You think you're joking but you've almost described the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter....(or voluntary I forget which).

-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

 LoneLictor wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:
Depends on how they are expressing it.

The sign about myths was extremely provocative and offensive. Plus the Atheists taking up half the boothspaces.

The straw that broke the camel's back and stuff.


People complaining about offensive things is basically saying, "I can't handle my own emotions, so I want you to handle them for me."

Maybe I'm offended by your religion. According to Jesus, I'm going to hell for being an atheist. I'd like to be able to take a stroll down the street without being told I'm goin' to hell, thank you very much.


Were there signs saying "Atheists are going to HELL!"?

Or were there signs saying "Jesus is the reason for the season", "Jesus loves you", or something to that effect?


One is offensive, one is not. And I'm pretty sure the offensive one was not present.

I'd put an "Atheists are going to HELL!" sign up there in offensivness with the Myth sign.

Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in us
Bane Thrall





 Frazzled wrote:
Mattman154 wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:
Depends on how they are expressing it.

The sign about myths was extremely provocative and offensive. Plus the Atheists taking up half the boothspaces.

The straw that broke the camel's back and stuff.


Next person that calls my girlfriend a myth is getting killed! Luckily because they provoked it, I'll have less fault.


You think you're joking but you've almost described the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter....(or voluntary I forget which).


You calling my girlfriend imaginary?

GW Rules Interpretation Syndrom. GWRIS. Causes people to second guess a rule in a book because that's what they would have had to do in a GW system.


 SilverMK2 wrote:
"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"
 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

I could care less if your GF is real or imagined.

Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in gb
Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God






Inside your mind, corrupting the pathways

 Frazzled wrote:
You think you're joking but you've almost described the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter....(or voluntary I forget which).


Involuntary manslaughter sounds interesting

"So Mr Bloggs, why did you stab your wife repeatedly?"

"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"

   
Made in us
Bane Thrall





 SilverMK2 wrote:
 Frazzled wrote:
You think you're joking but you've almost described the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter....(or voluntary I forget which).


Involuntary manslaughter sounds interesting

"So Mr Bloggs, why did you stab your wife repeatedly?"

"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"


sigged

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:25:02


GW Rules Interpretation Syndrom. GWRIS. Causes people to second guess a rule in a book because that's what they would have had to do in a GW system.


 SilverMK2 wrote:
"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"
 
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

Mattman154 wrote:
 Frazzled wrote:
Mattman154 wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:
Depends on how they are expressing it.

The sign about myths was extremely provocative and offensive. Plus the Atheists taking up half the boothspaces.

The straw that broke the camel's back and stuff.


Next person that calls my girlfriend a myth is getting killed! Luckily because they provoked it, I'll have less fault.


You think you're joking but you've almost described the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter....(or voluntary I forget which).


You calling my girlfriend imaginary?


Only if you live in Omaha and she's "Canadian."

-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine







 Grey Templar wrote:
 LoneLictor wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:
Depends on how they are expressing it.

The sign about myths was extremely provocative and offensive. Plus the Atheists taking up half the boothspaces.

The straw that broke the camel's back and stuff.


People complaining about offensive things is basically saying, "I can't handle my own emotions, so I want you to handle them for me."

Maybe I'm offended by your religion. According to Jesus, I'm going to hell for being an atheist. I'd like to be able to take a stroll down the street without being told I'm goin' to hell, thank you very much.


Were there signs saying "Atheists are going to HELL!"?

Or were there signs saying "Jesus is the reason for the season", "Jesus loves you", or something to that effect?


One is offensive, one is not. And I'm pretty sure the offensive one was not present.

I'd put an "Atheists are going to HELL!" sign up there in offensivness with the Myth sign.


The myth sign says that your beliefs are wrong.

The Jesus sign says that my beliefs are wrong.

Offensiveness is subjective.
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

 SilverMK2 wrote:
 Frazzled wrote:
You think you're joking but you've almost described the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter....(or voluntary I forget which).


Involuntary manslaughter sounds interesting

"So Mr Bloggs, why did you stab your wife repeatedly?"

"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"


In Texas, wives have the "he needed killin your honor" defense for murdering their husbands. Thats what my wife told me when we were married.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:27:52


-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in us
Maddening Mutant Boss of Chaos





NorCal

 Grey Templar wrote:

One is offensive, one is not. And I'm pretty sure the offensive one was not present.


I forget, which amendment guarantees the right to not be offended?

Veteran Sergeant wrote:Oh wait. His fluff, at this point, has him coming to blows with Lionel, Angryon, Magnus, and The Emprah. One can only assume he went into the Eye of Terror because he still hadn't had a chance to punch enough Primarchs yet.

Albatross wrote:I guess we'll never know. That is, until Frazzled releases his long-awaited solo album 'Touch My Weiner'. Then we'll know.

warboss wrote:I marvel at their ability to shoot the entire foot off with a shotgun instead of pistol shooting individual toes off like most businesses would.

Mr Nobody wrote:Going to war naked always seems like a good idea until someone trips on gravel.

Ghidorah wrote: You need to quit hating and trying to control other haters hating on other people's hobbies that they are trying to control.

ShumaGorath wrote:Posting in a thread where fat nerds who play with toys make fun of fat nerds who wear costumes outdoors.

Marshal2Crusaders wrote:Good thing it wasn't attacked by the EC, or it would be the assault on Magnir's Crack.
 
   
Made in us
Bane Thrall





 Lint wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:

One is offensive, one is not. And I'm pretty sure the offensive one was not present.


I forget, which amendment guarantees the right to not be offended?


Maybe he's confusing us with the UK


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Frazzled wrote:
Only if you live in Omaha and she's "Canadian."


I'm only in it for the bacon

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:29:02


GW Rules Interpretation Syndrom. GWRIS. Causes people to second guess a rule in a book because that's what they would have had to do in a GW system.


 SilverMK2 wrote:
"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"
 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

When did I claim we have a right to not be offended?

I mearely am showing that the Atheists sign was needlessly inflamatory(though perhaps not illegally) and that the Christian's signs were most certaintly not.

People offended by "Jesus loves you" signs are seriously sad people. Ironically they need exactly what the sign says

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:30:52


Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in gb
Lord Commander in a Plush Chair





Beijing

Grey Templar wrote:
Thus its really is the Atheists fault for provoking such actions. Doesn't absolve the person who commited them of the sin, but the greater blame is on the person who provoked them.


Sticks and Stones. So some atheists wrote some stuff. Why is it their fault that criminal damage resulted? Clearly the religious signs annoy some people but there aren't reports of them being vandalised.

People are responsible for their own actions. You can't seriously excuse the vandals of most of the blame because they saw something they didn't like and seemingly couldnt help but destroy it. Whoever they were made a conscious decision to do that damage. So no, the people who 'provoked' them do not take the greater blame for their actions.
   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine







 Grey Templar wrote:
When did I claim we have a right to not be offended?

I mearely am showing that the Atheists sign was needlessly inflamatory(though perhaps not illegally) and that the Christian's signs were most certaintly not.

People offended by "Jesus loves you" signs are seriously sad people. Ironically they need exactly what the sign says


So, you're arguing that it was offensive to you and that means that its okay that its censored?

I'm sorry, I don't completely grasp your argument.
   
Made in us
Bane Thrall





 Grey Templar wrote:
When did I claim we have a right to not be offended?

I mearely am showing that the Atheists sign was needlessly inflamatory(though perhaps not illegally) and that the Christian's signs were most certaintly not.

People offended by "Jesus loves you" signs are seriously sad people. Ironically they need exactly what the sign says


That depends entirely on what offends people. Perhaps a sign saying "Jesus is the reason for the season" is offensive because some may see it as false. You can't really decide what is certainly inflammatory and certainly not.

Edited

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:33:35


GW Rules Interpretation Syndrom. GWRIS. Causes people to second guess a rule in a book because that's what they would have had to do in a GW system.


 SilverMK2 wrote:
"Well, I have epilepsy and was holding a knife when I had a seizure... I couldn't help it! I was just trying to chop the vegetables for dinner!"
 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

Did I say the Vandals had no blame? No, read my quote.

Its just that there is blame on the Atheists for provoking the action as well.


If I walked into a Jewish gathering and said "you know, Hitler wasn't such a bad guy" who's fault would it really be if I got beat up and assaulted?

*This is an OTT example to illustrate my point.


There would be assault and battery charges on my attackers, but it was my stupid action that led to it.

Don't poke a sleeping tiger.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Mattman154 wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:
When did I claim we have a right to not be offended?

I mearely am showing that the Atheists sign was needlessly inflamatory(though perhaps not illegally) and that the Christian's signs were most certaintly not.

People offended by "Jesus loves you" signs are seriously sad people. Ironically they need exactly what the sign says


That depends entirely on what offends people. Perhaps a sign saying "Jesus is the reason for the season" is offensive because some may see it as false. You can't really decide what is certainly inflammatory and certainly not.

Edited


Objectivly, one can demonstate the sign is correct. If Christianity didn't exist, we wouldn't have a Christmas season. So really, Jesus is the reson for the season is a 100% factual statement.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:36:13


Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in gb
Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God






Inside your mind, corrupting the pathways

 Grey Templar wrote:
When did I claim we have a right to not be offended?

I mearely am showing that the Atheists sign was needlessly inflamatory(though perhaps not illegally) and that the Christian's signs were most certaintly not.

People offended by "Jesus loves you" signs are seriously sad people. Ironically they need exactly what the sign says


Would you be offended by a sign saying that everything you believe is wrong? Or a sign that says if you don't believe exactly the same things as the sign represents then you are a bad person? Or a sign which represents a system of belief which you find abhorent (such as one supporting slavery, or terrorism, or pro-life/choice)?

A sign doesn't have to be obviously offensive to be offensive. Personally I don't really give a monkies about the majority of Christmas displays that I see around the place but I can understand why some people might. Just as I personally am not offended by the bus ads that I have seen which say something along the lines of "There probably isn't a god, so why worry?", but I can understand why some people may find them offensive.

Incidentally, I don't need the love of Jesus to be happy, nor do I fell that I am somehow a lesser or "sad" person for being able to live my life without the teachings of whatever religion you belong to and I find the idea that people think that because I do not feel the need to have religion in my life I am somehow incomplete deeply offensive.

   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine







Firstly, you just invoked Godwin's law. I'm pretty sure that being an atheist isn't the same as supporting Hitler.

Secondly, what you're getting at is that a Christianity is a sleeping tiger, and if we disagree with it we'll provoke it?
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

 SilverMK2 wrote:

Would you be offended by a sign saying that everything you believe is wrong? Or a sign that says if you don't believe exactly the same things as the sign represents then you are a bad person? Or a sign which represents a system of belief which you find abhorent (such as one supporting slavery, or terrorism, or pro-life/choice)?


You mean like the atheist's signs were to the Christians?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Lint wrote:
 Grey Templar wrote:

One is offensive, one is not. And I'm pretty sure the offensive one was not present.


I forget, which amendment guarantees the right to not be offended?


True that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/11/19 22:41:28


-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Glasgow, Scotland

Meh, troll the old faiths into the ground and let's get on with creating our sci fi future already. Take Mass Effect, one of your crew members come up to you and says she's a Christian in an atheist universe. You have the option of patting her on the head and saying, "d'aww", or telling her to keep it quiet. =/

Relegion gives people hope, but there's other, material things that give that too. ...Things that don't have documentation that charts their origins from one piece of silliness to the other. Hey at least the pagans get to dance naked in a field a couple of times a year.

 
   
Made in gb
Lord Commander in a Plush Chair





Beijing

 Grey Templar wrote:
Did I say the Vandals had no blame? No, read my quote.

Its just that there is blame on the Atheists for provoking the action as well.


I read it. Don't be disingenuous now, you didn't just say there is blame on the atheists, specifically you said that they take the greater blame for it.
   
Made in gb
Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God






Inside your mind, corrupting the pathways

 Frazzled wrote:
You mean like the atheist's signs were to the Christians?


If you note I made no mention of their signs not being offensive and indeed detailed how I can understand how such signs can be seen as offensive by some people.

incidentally, if you have any proof that any religion/god/supernatural being is anything more than a collection of myths, I'd be more than happy to hear it and submit it to peer review

   
Made in us
Reading a Book in the Tower of Prospero





Curb stomping in the Eye of Terror!

Why is there such an argument over this?

City has right to not do any of this.

Now... the Christmas holiday is shared among all faiths and atheist.

Hopefully we've learned how to share since being a wee tot.

What I find hilarious... is that Christmas is a pagan holiday.

6000
Live Ork, Be Ork. or D'Ork!

4000

∞ Chaos Daemons and CSM


 
   
 
Forum Index » Off-Topic Forum
Go to: