Switch Theme:

Transaction Report: MorpheusSleeps  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in us
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control

North Carolina

User agreed to sell several Warhammer books at a good price and right after taking the funds (that were invoiced) he discontinued any talks. His thread has since been closed by a moderator here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/439017.page

I filled a dispute with PayPal and they denied it, my funds are gone. Goodluck to anyone else who was scammed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/04/12 07:40:03

Made in ca
Depraved Slaanesh Chaos Lord

Why was your PayPal claim denied?

Made in us
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control

North Carolina

azazel the cat wrote:Why was your PayPal claim denied?

They said that I filed it as 'Unauthorized' and it needed to be a different type of claim. I have now emailed PayPal, we'll see how that goes. My concern is that he has already moved the funds out of his PayPal account, which means I am up a creek I believe.

Made in us
Dakka Veteran

No. If he has a way of moving his funds out of his account, it means he has a bank account linked. if he has a bank account linked, Payapl will WITHDRAW the money from the bank to pay for your refund.

Made in us
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control

North Carolina

Sekai wrote:No. If he has a way of moving his funds out of his account, it means he has a bank account linked. if he has a bank account linked, Payapl will WITHDRAW the money from the bank to pay for your refund.

Let us hope that is the case, because he stopped communications and never shipped the items.

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

Misery. Missouri. Who can tell the difference.

Jstncloud wrote:
azazel the cat wrote:Why was your PayPal claim denied?

They said that I filed it as 'Unauthorized' and it needed to be a different type of claim. I have now emailed PayPal, we'll see how that goes. My concern is that he has already moved the funds out of his PayPal account, which means I am up a creek I believe.

I have disputed a few Paypal transactions and it would be best to call and explain to a person what happened. I have always found talking to a Paypal Rep has gotten things fixed quickly. I never really trust sending an email to them.

251 point Khador Army
245 points Ret Army

Warmachine League Record: 85 Wins 29 Losses
A proud member of the "I won with Zerkova" club with and without Sylss.

Pipboy101 wrote:
Jstncloud wrote:
azazel the cat wrote:Why was your PayPal claim denied?

They said that I filed it as 'Unauthorized' and it needed to be a different type of claim. I have now emailed PayPal, we'll see how that goes. My concern is that he has already moved the funds out of his PayPal account, which means I am up a creek I believe.

I have disputed a few Paypal transactions and it would be best to call and explain to a person what happened. I have always found talking to a Paypal Rep has gotten things fixed quickly. I never really trust sending an email to them.

I will give that a try, thanks.

Edit:
Just got off the phone with them and I have two things, 1) she spoke english (which is rare these days with outsourced labor) and 2) she was super helpful, they re-issued my claim correctly and if he does no ship the items/respond within 10 days I will get my refund, phew, much better than email.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/04/12 17:40:40

Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut

Good to hear. PP is generally reasonable.

Made in gb
[SWAP SHOP MOD]
Yvan eht nioj

In my Austin Ambassador Y Reg

Please let us know how it turns out.

=====Begin Dakka Geek Code=====
DC:80-S--G+MB+I+Pw40k95+D++A+++/sWD144R+T(S)DM+
======End Dakka Geek Code======

Click here for retro Nintendo reviews

My Project Logs:
30K Death Guard, 30K Imperial Fists

Completed Armies so far (click to view Army Profile):

Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User

I had a bad feeling about that seller..I'm glad I didn't buy from him. I hope you get your refund!

Made in us
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

The South v_v

Angel wrote:I had a bad feeling about that seller..I'm glad I didn't buy from him. I hope you get your refund!

Same here. Eventhough he offered a beautifully painted Warhound for just $200 shipped I could not bring myself to risk it. Now I am glad that I didn't.

Made in us
Roarin' Runtherd

St Louis

I purchased several items and have not received a response or items either. Filing a Paypal claim now.

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

Misery. Missouri. Who can tell the difference.

What was he trying to sell since it is no longer on the original post? This way we can keep an eye out because these guys always seem to try and come back on under a different log on.

251 point Khador Army
245 points Ret Army

Warmachine League Record: 85 Wins 29 Losses
A proud member of the "I won with Zerkova" club with and without Sylss.

Made in us
Roarin' Runtherd

St Louis

He was claiming to sell me a Baal Predator, 2 rhinos, and a razorback.

I doubt he had anything at all to sell to begin with.

Made in la
Witch Hunter in the Shadows

Earth

I was really suprised when people started sending pms to this guy. Especially since myself and Luna were questioning him from the start of the thread. I'm even more suprised that people sent any money over before MorpheusSleeps posted a message from the USA, where he claimed to be from, as some of the mods had suggested.

Guys, I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated: If you see a user selling a bunch of stuff, but with 4 posts, no trade rep, and especially making posts from places like Thailand, use common sense. He had all the the red flags....

In any case I hope this turns out well for all of you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/04/13 04:28:51

Made in us
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control

North Carolina

Barksdale wrote:I was really suprised when people started sending pms to this guy. Especially since myself and Luna were questioning him from the start of the thread. I'm even more suprised that people sent any money over before MorpheusSleeps posted a message from the USA, where he claimed to be from, as some of the mods had suggested.

Guys, I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated: If you see a user selling a bunch of stuff, but with 4 posts, no trade rep, and especially making posts from places like Thailand, use common sense. He had all the the red flags....

In any case I hope this turns out well for all of you.

As a precaution I insisted that it was an invoice, not a gift payment, and upon calling PayPal they said if he did not respond with a tracking number for the goods within 10 days that they would issue my refund.

Pipboy101 wrote:What was he trying to sell since it is no longer on the original post? This way we can keep an eye out because these guys always seem to try and come back on under a different log on.

A whole list of models, some already labeled as [SOLD] and so forth, the items he offered me were Imperial Armour Vol 2, 9, and 10, though they were not listed on his page. He sent a photo of them, I was suspicious so I did a simple google search (figured he borked em from there) and the image of them together on the sofa was not listed (unless it was on some crazy far page down the line), oh well now, live and learn I guess :-/

Made in us
Wicked Canoptek Wraith

He tried taking me for some money as well but was extremely suspicious so I emailed a mod right away. Although the suspicion and such shouldn't blacklist someone I feel if we take earlier action against people like this that there will be a lot less of this happening.
Everyone just remember the trading information on the stickie! If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. If someone is acting like you need to pay them immediately and have no references, chances are they're scamming. If you get a bad feeling it is OK to walk away!!

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

Misery. Missouri. Who can tell the difference.

wormark wrote:He was claiming to sell me a Baal Predator, 2 rhinos, and a razorback.

Jstncloud wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the item list. As I am always looking at the new stuff that pops up on here I can keep an eye out. Alot of these scammers attempt to come back on to Dakka with new screen names and attempt to resell the same items. It is either the items they are scamming are popular or they are just lazy or too cheap to get new pictures. It is almost like a finger print.

251 point Khador Army
245 points Ret Army

Warmachine League Record: 85 Wins 29 Losses
A proud member of the "I won with Zerkova" club with and without Sylss.

Made in us
Dakka Veteran

This guy sounds exactly like GreyKnightVision. Person out of country waiting to return to the USA, selling things for rediculously cheap?

Made in gb
[SWAP SHOP MOD]
Yvan eht nioj

In my Austin Ambassador Y Reg

I can confirm that both MorpheusSleeps and GreyKnightVision have both been found to be the same user thanks in part to some sterling detective work by Dakka user Marz who dug up some further info and what looks like an attempted scam on Ultimate Guitar:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529790&page=2&pp=20

"Yamabushi" is using the same Paypal email as our MorpheusSleeps (also using the first name of Simon) and he is a confirmed scammer on Ultimate Guitar. Unfortunately, these details only came to light after the trade thread had been posted and after some people already had dealings with him.

I feel somewhat culpable - I should have spotted it sooner given the Thai flag (we don't really get many Thai users) and whilst you can't judge an entire country or region based on the actions of one individual, it should certainly be cause for query. As soon as I saw MorpheusSleeps' trade thread it instantly rang alarm bells which is why I posted my 'warning' in that thread. However, that is about as strong as I can word things without proof - I cannot go around accusing people of being scammers without proof and often that means that someone will get caught out before a scammer comes to light and before we can action it. All I can do as a Swap Mod is advise people to exercise strict caution. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. You should always, always fully investigate both users and items that you are purchasing/trading before going ahead. That means utilising the Reputable Traders sticky and Transaction Report sticky here and doing further research on other trading sites too, to see if the same user has cropped up there. Quite often, career scammers will bounce around from one to the other.

We can only provide the resources, we can't force people to use them. If you trade blindly without investigating, then these things will happen. Of course, they may happen even if you do carry out your homework but at least you are minimising the chance. Trading/buying over the internet with people you don't know will always carry a degree of risk no matter how well you stack the odds in your favour.

=====Begin Dakka Geek Code=====
DC:80-S--G+MB+I+Pw40k95+D++A+++/sWD144R+T(S)DM+
======End Dakka Geek Code======

Click here for retro Nintendo reviews

My Project Logs:
30K Death Guard, 30K Imperial Fists

Completed Armies so far (click to view Army Profile):

Made in us
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control

North Carolina

filbert wrote:I can confirm that both MorpheusSleeps and GreyKnightVision have both been found to be the same user thanks in part to some sterling detective work by Dakka user Marz who dug up some further info and what looks like an attempted scam on Ultimate Guitar:

[...]

Thank you for the response, hopefully the other fellow and myself (as well as anyone else who dealt with his scammer) get refunds via PayPal soon.

Made in us
Been Around the Block

Barksdale wrote:no trade rep

I am curious about this as I've had two successful trades here and the people I traded with posted in the good traders thread but my name is still not on the first post of traders. Am I missing something that I need to do to get added there? I don't want people thinking I have zero trades next time I want to trade/sell something.

Anyway, I hope everyone gets their money back.

Calamitycal wrote:
Barksdale wrote:no trade rep

I am curious about this as I've had two successful trades here and the people I traded with posted in the good traders thread but my name is still not on the first post of traders. Am I missing something that I need to do to get added there? I don't want people thinking I have zero trades next time I want to trade/sell something.

Anyway, I hope everyone gets their money back.

First post of that thread hasn't been updated, however a search for your username with +1 in front of it should bring up all posts from users who have given you rep.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012/04/13 19:49:13

Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge

Boston, MA

I've also opened a Paypal claim. I was purchasing some Valhallans from him but he stopped talking right after I sent payment. I figured I'd be extra trusting for once, my mistake. Regardless, I look forward to getting my money back via Paypal.

Check out my Youtube channel!

Made in us
Steady Dwarf Warrior

Arkansas

MorpheusSleeps PMed me willing to sell some Warmachine models (I currently have a SwapShop thread looking for such models):

PM logs:
Spoiler:

From: MorpheusSleeps
To: Marz
Date: 2012/04/04 12:15:17

Hey man,
I have...
-Exemplar Errants unit of 10 (PIP 32036 )
-Exemplar Errant Officer and Standard Bearer (PIP 32066)
-Covenant of Menoth (PIP 32045)
I can do the whole lot including postage for $45?
Let me know if that's good for you. Thanks.

I looked at his posting history and noticed it wasn't great. He had a thread open in the SwapShop selling some Warhammer stuff (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/439017.page) and it appeared that people had been PMing him and apparently buying stuff. A Mod had brought up the fact that he said he was in the USA but was posting from Thailand (I should have just stopped talking to this guy right then). I did a quick google search for "MorpheusSleeps" and didn't find the username pop up anywhere else. So I agreed to the trade but tried some haggling just to see his reaction:

From: Marz
To: MorpheusSleeps
Date: 2012/04/04 14:06:06
Subject: Re:Warmachine
Hi there.
I can agree to $45 if they are unpainted/primed. If they are painted would you take $40?
Please let me know and I can send money via Paypal and give you my shipping address.
Thanks!

He got back to me pretty quickly and agreed on my price with a little resistance.

From: MorpheusSleeps
To: Marz
Date: 2012/04/04 14:38:48
Subject: Re:Re:Warmachine
Hey,
They're primed black. $45 is a lower than what they are worth...
I have a tonne of stuff to sell so I suppose I'll have to agree though! I'm sure you'll be able to help me out with something one day.
elofspear@yahoo.com
Thanks. Simon.

Pretty natural response. I picked up on the European spelling of "tonne" but it didn't bother me too much. I responded that I would pay his original asking price, as it was already pretty damn low and I didn't want to completely lowball the guy:

From: Marz
To: MorpheusSleeps
Date: 2012/04/04 14:44:34
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Warmachine
Ha ok you caught me, I love to haggle
I'll send you $45 via Paypal right now. My shipping address:

Confirmation of payment and an idea of when they would ship:

From: MorpheusSleeps
To: Marz
Date: 2012/04/04 15:07:09
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:Warmachine
Hey,
No worries Mike... I'm not your judge brother.
Will get those posted out to you in the next 48 hours.
Thanks,
Simon.

I told a friend about my trade and mentioned this guy also had some WHFB stuff for sale. So I struck up another deal:

From: Marz
To: MorpheusSleeps
Date: 2012/04/04 17:46:24
Subject: Warhammer Fantasy
Hi again, I noticed you also were selling some WHFB Vampire Counts stuff. I have a friend who is building a VC army and is interested in
1 Box Vargheists/Crypt Horrors
1 Box Varghulf
Would you take $45 for these? If not, what would you accept?
Thanks!

He happily accepts:

From: MorpheusSleeps
To: Marz
Date: 2012/04/04 17:51:01
Subject: Re:Warhammer Fantasy
Hey,
Sure, $45 is fine. Shall we say $5 for postage?
If you paypal me at elofspear@yahoo.com I will ship it out tomorrow morning.
Thanks,
Simon.

I ask for tracking info:

From: Marz
To: MorpheusSleeps
Date: 2012/04/05 11:15:51
Subject: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Warmachine
Hi Simon,
If you could PM me with the tracking number(s) after these ship I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

That was the last I heard from "Simon Fielding" aka MorpheusSleeps. I did notice he did not mark the items I had paid him for as "sold" in his SwapShop listing. I decided to Google his Paypal email address and, to my chagrin, found this thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529790 A poster with the name Yamabushi using the same PayPal email address trying to scam people. I immediately disputed my Paypal transactions. Upon further investigation I found that there was a problem on DakkaDakka last December with a person using the name of GreyKnightVision http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/433026.page#3969846 His Paypal address was YamabushiSimon@live.co.uk and was showing as from Thailand.

Made in us
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control

North Carolina

Marz wrote:MorpheusSleeps PMed me willing to sell some Warmachine models (I currently have a SwapShop thread looking for such models):

PM logs:
Spoiler:

From: Marz
To: MorpheusSleeps
Date: 2012/04/04 14:44:34

From: Marz
To: MorpheusSleeps
Date: 2012/04/05 11:15:51
[...]

Unfortunately this information was provided above, I would advise filing a PayPal dispute sooner rather than later.

Made in us
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control

North Carolina

Case was closed, funds recovered.

Made in gb
Perturbed Blood Angel Tactical Marine

UK

A useful thing to do when searching to see if images are just off Google or whatnot is to copy the image url and copy it into the search bar on tineye.com or alternatively if you have tineye as an extension on chrome or Firefox just right click and search on tineye.

I'm a relatively new user myself so don't know if this suggestion is in the stickied threads but the comment about Google images made me think!

Made in us
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control

North Carolina

swalker91 wrote:A useful thing to do when searching to see if images are just off Google or whatnot is to copy the image url and copy it into the search bar on tineye.com or alternatively if you have tineye as an extension on chrome or Firefox just right click and search on tineye.

I'm a relatively new user myself so don't know if this suggestion is in the stickied threads but the comment about Google images made me think!

Thanks, I've never heard of tineye.

Made in au
Mighty Chosen Warrior of Chaos

Australia

Yeah samething happened to me. Only difference is I called paypal up. And he had 14 days to reply to the dispute but he never did so I'm still waiting for paypal to transfer me my money they said it could take up to 5 days.
He is a POS.

Good luck people.

My commission website / gallary:
http://kronicpainting.webs.com/