Switch Theme:

Might makes Right! - Codex Orks 2021 Tactics  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






 Niiai wrote:
My regular opponent is an ork. And dakkajets are part if why I do not like to run long fangs. I am sure other armies also have good anti infnatery.

Last game they killed exactly 4 long fangs before I poured my whole turn two of shooting into them. (Bjørns flamers took out the last wound.)

Dakkajet are good at harrasing, or as an atemt to take out hard to reach targets. Good character hunters as well.


I love running my dakkajets, I think they are overly hyped as broken though. they generally hit whatever light armor or infantry is the greatest threat to my buggies and bikers and then they get shot down. turn 2 or 3 they usually earn thier points back or at least close to it and deal with a threat that the rest of my army is ill equipped to deal with because GW seems to think ork weapons should be very short range. you are spot on about the use. logn fangs/devistator squads, imperial guard heavy weapons teams, tau broadsides and the like are the tough nut for orks to crack that the dakke jet is probably out only real answer to. (lootas to an extent in a battlewagon also do the job assuming you can get in range but them plus a battlewagon is a pretty big poitns investment that rarely in my experience earns back its points)

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in no
Huge Bone Giant





Bergen

It is very atchup dependant I think.

For my GSC they are really something that is close to autoloosing me the game. GSC streanghts comes from melee, and no units in the codex can fly, so no charging. With an inate BS of 4+ they are very hard to hit on 5+. (Yes, with an alpha and some ridgerunners you can get some shots at BS3+, but that means something else is not getting killed.) Flaming them down is an option i suppose.

If GSC do not kill them they run around treaten killing your characters and shoot units of objectives (T3 5+ is not strong.) And they deny deepstrike,

But I must admitt I feared them more when they wher BS4+. Then they killed 7 cultists on averadge.

   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






 Niiai wrote:
It is very atchup dependant I think.

For my GSC they are really something that is close to autoloosing me the game. GSC streanghts comes from melee, and no units in the codex can fly, so no charging. With an inate BS of 4+ they are very hard to hit on 5+. (Yes, with an alpha and some ridgerunners you can get some shots at BS3+, but that means something else is not getting killed.) Flaming them down is an option i suppose.

If GSC do not kill them they run around treaten killing your characters and shoot units of objectives (T3 5+ is not strong.) And they deny deepstrike,

But I must admitt I feared them more when they wher BS4+. Then they killed 7 cultists on averadge.


To be fair, GSC as an army are a complete mess right now and really not an indicator of a Dakkajet being broken. Your army comp of being a glass cannon without being the cannon also means your army is the ideal target for a Dakkajet's weapons, since you have such weak defenses. I wouldn't use one of the bottom tier armies as a way of measuring how strong a unit is, because then by that standard the Galatus from Custodes, the Redemptor from SM or the Adeptus Mechanicus' flyer would be an absolute nightmare for you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/25 12:42:45


 
   
Made in no
Huge Bone Giant





Bergen

I agree with you and I was not making the argument that the dakkajet is to powerfull. I am merly pointing out that the power of the dakkajet is very matchupdependant. It is much better T3 1 wound models with BS4+ then say Space Marines. (Although I suppose the more exkstreme example would be that it is good vs T5 BS5+ armies.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/25 12:49:26


   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






 Niiai wrote:
I agree with you and I was not making the argument that the dakkajet is to powerfull. I am merly pointing out that the power of the dakkajet is very matchupdependant. It is much better T3 1 wound models with BS4+ then say Space Marines. (Although I suppose the more exkstreme example would be that it is good vs T5 BS5+ armies.)


Ah, gotcha. Sorry, if I misunderstood you. The Dakkajet is basically good value in general that just goes higher in use the more ideal targets they have (i.e. the T3 5+ save infantry you mentioned). It's basically limited from the fact that cheap hordes aren't really a thing anymore in 9th ed on the competitive scene.
   
Made in no
Huge Bone Giant





Bergen

Indeed.

I see many competitive SM lists take very few or no units of troop choise, instead taking units that push above their weight class. So that gives the Dakkajet few units in those matchup. Mind you I do not play in a competitive meta, I just watch it from afar. It seems to be very much a game of copying armies that do well instead of trying out new units. (I will not go further into it here.) So the Dakkajet might be less good in those environments. But it is a fun little gem. It is good to see some armies take flyers.

Anyway, thanks for the suggested units that can shoot.

   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





United Kingdom

To the rumours of the field manual, I can see Rukkatrukks going up by 10 points just to make them a bit less efficient. Maybe dakkajets going up to 110/120 base as well.

The big one will be how well Kill Rigs perform in the near future. They're very aggressively costed for what they offer, and would probably still be a good choice at 210 apiece.

Maybe Kommandos going up a point? Realistically they're just objective holders/secondary generators, so they might be left alone.


Otherwise pretty much everything we have is costed pretty reasonably. Except grots. But they were too good for too little last book and needed to be snuffed out for a while.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/25 15:44:25


 
   
Made in fr
Mutilatin' Mad Dok






I don't think kill rigs will be much of an issue, because they give assassinate.

Although... Hey we could just go for a "ok f... it lets give 15 of assassinate" and go for 2 kill rigs and 2-3 nobz on smasha sguigs. I dunno really

Ere we go ere we go ere we go
Corona Givin’ Umies Da good ol Krulpin they deserve huh huh 
   
Made in us
Heroic Senior Officer





Western Kentucky

Well I finally got a tournament in with my blood axes. Went 1-2, which for my 4th, 5th, and 6th games with orks I was happy with, especially making do with the models I owned. List

Spoiler:

Whole list is blood axes

Patrol

Biker boss: brutal but kunnin, Killa Klaw, warlord

10 kommandos: klaw, distraction grot, squig bomb

X3 deff koptas:1 with kmb and bomb

Dakkajet, x6 supashoota

Outrider

Mega armor big mek: ded shiny shoota, tellyport blasta, ard as nails, -2cp

10 grots

X3 megatrakk scrap jet

5 stormboyz: klaw

5 stormboyz: klaw

5 stormboyz: klaw

3 warbikers:klaw

3 warbikers:klaw

15 kommandos: klaw, distraction grot, squig bomb

15 kommandos: klaw, distraction grot, squig bomb

Runt herder: no slot, Ive got a plan ladz, finkin cap, -2cp

Kannonwagon:x3 big shoota

Kannonwagon:x3 big shoota


Key takeaways from list in no particular order. Lots of the stuff the pros already know but might be worth reading for other new ork players

Spoiler:

*kannonwagons are great, especially as blood axes. Reliable firepower, hard to tie down, and can even do a bit of melee with rammin speed. Used them very aggressively, often they were in the center of the table by turn 2. Usuallt the big mek would hitch a ride with one and pitch in his shots too. With all the kommandos, fast attack, and dakkajet, opponents rarely could even think of firing at them, and since they keep bs4+ all the way down to one wound, opponents quickly learned they werent worth the effort. Attempts at tagging it in melee never worked since its massive size was hard to wrap and it can fall back and shoot. Excellent unit, especially for a very aggressive ork list. Fills so many niches.

*the big mek was a big utility help to the list. Didnt repair much, but the ability to unload into small enemy units dropping into the backline was great. Would often hitch a ride on the kannonwagons to massively increase his threat radius, mad eit to where he could threaten most of the board. Tellyport blasta was pretty useless though, will be trading it for the forcefield. Will trade ard as nails for Ive got a plan ladz, speaking of which

*the runt herder with Ive got a plan ladz and finkin cap did a good job, but probably wasnt the best unit for the job. Got pretty lucky with cp regen but Im debating on dropping finkin kap just to get a 3rd killy relic. Ive got a plan has a surprising amount of utility. Against armies that had infiltrators, I would deploy my first kommando unit in a dogbone formation strung out across the center, which would screen out a massive area. Once I was done deploying, I would regroup them in terrain. Was a huge boon against the admech player I fought. Need to get more creative with it, theres a lot of potential with tricking opponents in deployment by deploying say the kannonwagons on one side of the boad then shifting to the other side or throwing units into reserve out of the blue.

*speaking of kommandos, they did great. Every opponent and several onlookers were shocked by the durability, and honestly the 40 kommandos seemed most useful when I went second, not first. The sheer amount of firepower and melee required to shift them often meant the rest of the army was untouched for the first turn or two and usually a few would survive to hold objectives into the late game. Bomb squigs are a must for big units, distraction grots hard to say. One game they were a big help, the other two they rarely mattered. Wouldnt bother with the grot unless you have large mobz, whereas id take a bomb squig even on a 5 man unit.

*warbiker boss is a guided missile that stabs things. Realized halfway through the event with this list I wouldve rather had a regular WAAAGH warlord, while still taking this guy. Hit like a truck but the extra 6" threat radius wouldve made a difference. Also wouldve been a big boost for kommandos

*speedwaugh seems a bit meh honestly, at least for what Im trying to do. Big shootas and dakkaguns didnt do a whole lot aside from chip damage. Extra melee attacks and advance and charge wouldve made a bigger difference. Speedwaugh was often a tossup on whether to use it turn 1 or 2. A regular WAAAGH wouldve been a given turn 1 every game.

*single dakkajet is a mixed bag. It drew insane amounts of fire and was surprisingly durable. Never did a ton of damage, but after seeing a single volley no player let it live past turn 2. Im torn, it reliably got engage every game and saved many units from getting shot, but not sure I wouldnt rather have other units.

*scrapjets were similar. They didnt usually do a ton but players were absolutely terrified of them. They werent usually shot until turns 2 to 3 due to the kommandos and dakkajet being in their grill. Ramming speed on them was nice but hard to get good charges with terrain. Probably better as single units. Gonna keep running them for now.

*absolutely needed some sort of aggressive obsec. Lost primaries several times because I had no way to bring obsec up the table. This is probably going to be trukk boy. I just cant think of any other way to get boyz up the table.

*gretchin not great at holding objective but good for a couple ROD's. Ironically kannonwagons did more objective holding than they did. Considering a couple of single mek gunz to leave on home objectives alongside the grots. I honestly think once I tweak this list some most armies wont want to spare the shots to shift them unless the game is already over.

*warbikers, deff koptas, and stormboyz did well, but I used them poorly. Stormboyz are too frail to be fighting with much, and 3 was too many. Two barebones unit for objective work would be fine. Warbikers were very tough for points, shooting was ok, and melee was ok. Main thing with them was utility, they were always able to get to where they were needed. Deff koptas were ok, drew lots of fire and the bomb had a good drop on a tsons player, but overall felt too expensive for what they did.


My three games, quick and dirty breakdown. Dont remember exact points, and bcp is giving me issues.
Spoiler:

*Game 1 admech, a pretty mean little skitarii cohort chock full of infantry, cavalry, and ballistaari, but no planes. Got 1st deploy, zoned out his infiltrators with the dogbone kommandos trick, then got first turn and hit him pretty hard. Kept him pinned in his deployment till the end, when a few infiltrators slipped past and got to my grots and runtherder. Victory, want to say 68-43.

Lack of obsec hurt, but had no issues trading shots with admech. Probably couldve squeeked out 10-15 more points with better play, but I was still learning orks and we didnt make it to turn 5, plus lack of obsec led to me giving up key objectives where thered be several orks but a couple battered skitarii. Skitarii made the best of a bad situation and made me earn it.

*Game Two Thousand sons, lots of rubrics, terminators, tzangors, and sorcerors. Got first turn and deployment. Map didnt have a ton of line of sight obscuring terrain except for both deployment zones, which were effectively walled off, ideal for him to weather my shooting. Didnt have any answer for pyskers except to stab them harder which lead to a lot of kommandos coming down with exploding head. Killed a major chunk of his army over the game, even using a kannonwagon to ramming speed his daemon prince to death, but with obsec terminators there wasnt much I could do for primaries and I forgot to do ROD every. Single. Turn. Loss, 62-97.

Even if I had had a few primaries and ROD, he still wouldve won, but it was frustrating to realize the mistakes I made. Messed his list up pretty good though, by the end of the game he was down to maybe 15 models, half of which were tzangors. Ork shooting punished anything brave enough to go into the open, even with all the pyschic buffs.

*Game 3, Raven guard. Redemptors, a big block of stormshield/LC vanguard vets, bike chaplain with the first turn scout move, two of the primaris forge guys, some jump pack autocannon dudes, some melta buggies, and some assault intercessors. I lost deployment and first turn. His vanguard vets and bike chapoy managed to squeek through a gap in the kommandos and make it to my deployment turn 1. Kommandos actually weathered turn 1 fairly well, two mobs made it through mostly intact, as he sent most of his focus toward my backline and focused on shooting down the scrapjets and dakkajet. Managed to wipe the vanguard vets and a few other units, but it just wasnt fast enough. Between being behind on firepower and no obsec, just couldnt push the RG off of key objectives, with t2 ending with 10 or so kommandos on two of his objectives but losing control to two intercessors on each. Loss, 33-97. Forgot ROD again.




So yeah, next tourney Im writing ROD on my hand with a ballpoint pen so I can remember the stupid objective Going to rework my list a bit to include trukk boyz and reconfigure a few units, but overall I enjoyed the list and feel like I may have something workable with more practice. I really like the in your face style of orks and the ability to fall back and charge or shoot was very handy in every game. Yeah pure blood axes probably isnt the best, but it feels usable, which Im happy with. I feel like a highly aggressive list of kommandos, trukk boyz, bikes, backed up by some solid fire support has some real legs, just not sure what the ideal makeup would be.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/25 16:35:19


 
   
Made in nl
Dakka Veteran





Netherlands

Gretchin and Freebooters are a bit unclear to me. Can they give the Freebooters bonus to other Freebooters units like in 8th? And what more is their clan keyword usefull for?

   
Made in dk
Longtime Dakkanaut




Danmark

I can already hear the whine because of some bloke lost with his dark eldar army turn 1.

*Reeeeeeee, nerf everything*

Hope, is the first step on the road to disappointment.

- About Dawn of War 3 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

 Singleton Mosby wrote:
Gretchin and Freebooters are a bit unclear to me. Can they give the Freebooters bonus to other Freebooters units like in 8th? And what more is their clan keyword usefull for?
Mek Guns cannot BENEFIT from the Freeboota's trait, but they can proc it for other units.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in us
Waaagh! Warbiker





Beardedragon wrote:
I can already hear the whine because of some bloke lost with his dark eldar army turn 1.

*Reeeeeeee, nerf everything*


Basically
I’m just waiting for kommandos to become like, 14 points a pop, then have people praise the internal balance cause they’re no longer vastly better than boys.

"Us Blood Axes hav lernt' a lot from da humies. How best ta kill 'em, fer example."
— Korporal Snagbrat of the Dreadblade Kommandos 
   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






 Some_Call_Me_Tim wrote:
Beardedragon wrote:
I can already hear the whine because of some bloke lost with his dark eldar army turn 1.

*Reeeeeeee, nerf everything*


Basically
I’m just waiting for kommandos to become like, 14 points a pop, then have people praise the internal balance cause they’re no longer vastly better than boys.


Lowkey what I'm worried about in the next update. GW are not merciful towards Orks in general when they do relatively well in tournaments and since we rely on skew lists to do well, it really throws a wrench into our synergy when compared to more independently strong unit-based armies like SM. I'm hoping that if they do give points bumps to things like Kommandos that at least they make guys like tankbustas, lootas and flash gitz cheaper since they're basically nonexistent in most Ork lists.
   
Made in us
Waaagh! Warbiker





I just want 7 point boys, 45 point trukks. Maybe a big drop on wagons as well.
And put the zoggin grotz back down to 3 for morks sake!

"Us Blood Axes hav lernt' a lot from da humies. How best ta kill 'em, fer example."
— Korporal Snagbrat of the Dreadblade Kommandos 
   
Made in ca
Stormin' Stompa






 Some_Call_Me_Tim wrote:
I just want 7 point boys, 45 point trukks. Maybe a big drop on wagons as well.
And put the zoggin grotz back down to 3 for morks sake!


As much as that would be amazing, there's no way they're putting down boy points after hyping up the T5 prior to the Ork release, GW wouldn't want that loss of face. Also, grotz are unfortunately doomed to be stuck at the 5 point mark, because that's their price baseline for some bizarre reason this edition, they'll never go below that for a model's cost. I would hope battlewagons get some love considering how inferior they are to kill rigs at the moment.
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

 Grimskul wrote:
 Some_Call_Me_Tim wrote:
I just want 7 point boys, 45 point trukks. Maybe a big drop on wagons as well.
And put the zoggin grotz back down to 3 for morks sake!


As much as that would be amazing, there's no way they're putting down boy points after hyping up the T5 prior to the Ork release, GW wouldn't want that loss of face. Also, grotz are unfortunately doomed to be stuck at the 5 point mark, because that's their price baseline for some bizarre reason this edition, they'll never go below that for a model's cost. I would hope battlewagons get some love considering how inferior they are to kill rigs at the moment.
Yeah. I'm okay with Grots at five... But then Cultists and Conscripts should be at least six.

Basically, GW needs to increase the points on almost everything, to give a little more granularity.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in cz
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets





Prague

I 'm so stupid! Really I 'm … this is the video of guy beating some Drukhari in T1 in final game of some GT - todays hit of FB. Interesting part starts about 3:00

Do you see the ork deploy? He screens the front with jets. Nobody can charge the buggies over the jets! It did never get in my mind! Gosh…..

https://youtu.be/5SD2OVJbcKg

[Thumb - 027939E3-678C-4E18-A496-E6774301EEAA.jpeg]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/25 19:00:24


10500p and one Ad Mech T-shirt 
   
Made in us
Waaagh! Warbiker





The whole t5 change was definitely a hype thing. Like “ooooh big scary t5 orks” but then halving the effectiveness of their invulnerable, way worse charges, and no morale mitigation. Boys are definitely imo a 6-7 point unit at the moment, especially because of the lack of buffs you can give em.

"Us Blood Axes hav lernt' a lot from da humies. How best ta kill 'em, fer example."
— Korporal Snagbrat of the Dreadblade Kommandos 
   
Made in fr
Mutilatin' Mad Dok






 Some_Call_Me_Tim wrote:
The whole t5 change was definitely a hype thing. Like “ooooh big scary t5 orks” but then halving the effectiveness of their invulnerable, way worse charges, and no morale mitigation. Boys are definitely imo a 6-7 point unit at the moment, especially because of the lack of buffs you can give em.

Goff boyz can be buffed pretty hard, I say they are an 8 point unit but as it was said, I dont see GW losing face like that and doing the rollback thing on boyz ppm

Perhaps the supplement will have cool stuff for them, like a 5+++ special painboy thing

Ere we go ere we go ere we go
Corona Givin’ Umies Da good ol Krulpin they deserve huh huh 
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Just a question: How many attacks will a nob with 2 choppas get? 4 or 5?
   
Made in us
Agile Revenant Titan






Austin, Texas.

I expect the nerf bat to overswing hard onto orks. Hearing the amount of people complaining about buggies planes and commandos makes me think Orks wont escape the nerf bat. And I guess people are numb to Admech and dhrukari now because I hear more complaints about orks than I do about either of those armies, and in terms of power its not particularly close still.

Oh well I guess we will just see what happens.

I do drugs.
Mostly Plastic Crack, but I do dabble in Cardboard Cocaine. 
   
Made in nl
Grovelin' Grot




 MrMoustaffa wrote:
Well I finally got a tournament in with my blood axes. Went 1-2, which for my 4th, 5th, and 6th games with orks I was happy with, especially making do with the models I owned. List

Spoiler:

Whole list is blood axes

Patrol

Biker boss: brutal but kunnin, Killa Klaw, warlord

10 kommandos: klaw, distraction grot, squig bomb

X3 deff koptas:1 with kmb and bomb

Dakkajet, x6 supashoota

Outrider

Mega armor big mek: ded shiny shoota, tellyport blasta, ard as nails, -2cp

10 grots

X3 megatrakk scrap jet

5 stormboyz: klaw

5 stormboyz: klaw

5 stormboyz: klaw

3 warbikers:klaw

3 warbikers:klaw

15 kommandos: klaw, distraction grot, squig bomb

15 kommandos: klaw, distraction grot, squig bomb

Runt herder: no slot, Ive got a plan ladz, finkin cap, -2cp

Kannonwagon:x3 big shoota

Kannonwagon:x3 big shoota


Key takeaways from list in no particular order. Lots of the stuff the pros already know but might be worth reading for other new ork players

Spoiler:

*kannonwagons are great, especially as blood axes. Reliable firepower, hard to tie down, and can even do a bit of melee with rammin speed. Used them very aggressively, often they were in the center of the table by turn 2. Usuallt the big mek would hitch a ride with one and pitch in his shots too. With all the kommandos, fast attack, and dakkajet, opponents rarely could even think of firing at them, and since they keep bs4+ all the way down to one wound, opponents quickly learned they werent worth the effort. Attempts at tagging it in melee never worked since its massive size was hard to wrap and it can fall back and shoot. Excellent unit, especially for a very aggressive ork list. Fills so many niches.

*the big mek was a big utility help to the list. Didnt repair much, but the ability to unload into small enemy units dropping into the backline was great. Would often hitch a ride on the kannonwagons to massively increase his threat radius, mad eit to where he could threaten most of the board. Tellyport blasta was pretty useless though, will be trading it for the forcefield. Will trade ard as nails for Ive got a plan ladz, speaking of which

*the runt herder with Ive got a plan ladz and finkin cap did a good job, but probably wasnt the best unit for the job. Got pretty lucky with cp regen but Im debating on dropping finkin kap just to get a 3rd killy relic. Ive got a plan has a surprising amount of utility. Against armies that had infiltrators, I would deploy my first kommando unit in a dogbone formation strung out across the center, which would screen out a massive area. Once I was done deploying, I would regroup them in terrain. Was a huge boon against the admech player I fought. Need to get more creative with it, theres a lot of potential with tricking opponents in deployment by deploying say the kannonwagons on one side of the boad then shifting to the other side or throwing units into reserve out of the blue.

*speaking of kommandos, they did great. Every opponent and several onlookers were shocked by the durability, and honestly the 40 kommandos seemed most useful when I went second, not first. The sheer amount of firepower and melee required to shift them often meant the rest of the army was untouched for the first turn or two and usually a few would survive to hold objectives into the late game. Bomb squigs are a must for big units, distraction grots hard to say. One game they were a big help, the other two they rarely mattered. Wouldnt bother with the grot unless you have large mobz, whereas id take a bomb squig even on a 5 man unit.

*warbiker boss is a guided missile that stabs things. Realized halfway through the event with this list I wouldve rather had a regular WAAAGH warlord, while still taking this guy. Hit like a truck but the extra 6" threat radius wouldve made a difference. Also wouldve been a big boost for kommandos

*speedwaugh seems a bit meh honestly, at least for what Im trying to do. Big shootas and dakkaguns didnt do a whole lot aside from chip damage. Extra melee attacks and advance and charge wouldve made a bigger difference. Speedwaugh was often a tossup on whether to use it turn 1 or 2. A regular WAAAGH wouldve been a given turn 1 every game.

*single dakkajet is a mixed bag. It drew insane amounts of fire and was surprisingly durable. Never did a ton of damage, but after seeing a single volley no player let it live past turn 2. Im torn, it reliably got engage every game and saved many units from getting shot, but not sure I wouldnt rather have other units.

*scrapjets were similar. They didnt usually do a ton but players were absolutely terrified of them. They werent usually shot until turns 2 to 3 due to the kommandos and dakkajet being in their grill. Ramming speed on them was nice but hard to get good charges with terrain. Probably better as single units. Gonna keep running them for now.

*absolutely needed some sort of aggressive obsec. Lost primaries several times because I had no way to bring obsec up the table. This is probably going to be trukk boy. I just cant think of any other way to get boyz up the table.

*gretchin not great at holding objective but good for a couple ROD's. Ironically kannonwagons did more objective holding than they did. Considering a couple of single mek gunz to leave on home objectives alongside the grots. I honestly think once I tweak this list some most armies wont want to spare the shots to shift them unless the game is already over.

*warbikers, deff koptas, and stormboyz did well, but I used them poorly. Stormboyz are too frail to be fighting with much, and 3 was too many. Two barebones unit for objective work would be fine. Warbikers were very tough for points, shooting was ok, and melee was ok. Main thing with them was utility, they were always able to get to where they were needed. Deff koptas were ok, drew lots of fire and the bomb had a good drop on a tsons player, but overall felt too expensive for what they did.


My three games, quick and dirty breakdown. Dont remember exact points, and bcp is giving me issues.
Spoiler:

*Game 1 admech, a pretty mean little skitarii cohort chock full of infantry, cavalry, and ballistaari, but no planes. Got 1st deploy, zoned out his infiltrators with the dogbone kommandos trick, then got first turn and hit him pretty hard. Kept him pinned in his deployment till the end, when a few infiltrators slipped past and got to my grots and runtherder. Victory, want to say 68-43.

Lack of obsec hurt, but had no issues trading shots with admech. Probably couldve squeeked out 10-15 more points with better play, but I was still learning orks and we didnt make it to turn 5, plus lack of obsec led to me giving up key objectives where thered be several orks but a couple battered skitarii. Skitarii made the best of a bad situation and made me earn it.

*Game Two Thousand sons, lots of rubrics, terminators, tzangors, and sorcerors. Got first turn and deployment. Map didnt have a ton of line of sight obscuring terrain except for both deployment zones, which were effectively walled off, ideal for him to weather my shooting. Didnt have any answer for pyskers except to stab them harder which lead to a lot of kommandos coming down with exploding head. Killed a major chunk of his army over the game, even using a kannonwagon to ramming speed his daemon prince to death, but with obsec terminators there wasnt much I could do for primaries and I forgot to do ROD every. Single. Turn. Loss, 62-97.

Even if I had had a few primaries and ROD, he still wouldve won, but it was frustrating to realize the mistakes I made. Messed his list up pretty good though, by the end of the game he was down to maybe 15 models, half of which were tzangors. Ork shooting punished anything brave enough to go into the open, even with all the pyschic buffs.

*Game 3, Raven guard. Redemptors, a big block of stormshield/LC vanguard vets, bike chaplain with the first turn scout move, two of the primaris forge guys, some jump pack autocannon dudes, some melta buggies, and some assault intercessors. I lost deployment and first turn. His vanguard vets and bike chapoy managed to squeek through a gap in the kommandos and make it to my deployment turn 1. Kommandos actually weathered turn 1 fairly well, two mobs made it through mostly intact, as he sent most of his focus toward my backline and focused on shooting down the scrapjets and dakkajet. Managed to wipe the vanguard vets and a few other units, but it just wasnt fast enough. Between being behind on firepower and no obsec, just couldnt push the RG off of key objectives, with t2 ending with 10 or so kommandos on two of his objectives but losing control to two intercessors on each. Loss, 33-97. Forgot ROD again.




So yeah, next tourney Im writing ROD on my hand with a ballpoint pen so I can remember the stupid objective Going to rework my list a bit to include trukk boyz and reconfigure a few units, but overall I enjoyed the list and feel like I may have something workable with more practice. I really like the in your face style of orks and the ability to fall back and charge or shoot was very handy in every game. Yeah pure blood axes probably isnt the best, but it feels usable, which Im happy with. I feel like a highly aggressive list of kommandos, trukk boyz, bikes, backed up by some solid fire support has some real legs, just not sure what the ideal makeup would be.


Have you considered Deathskulls for kommandos? That's obsec and 5+ for MW.

Has for orks nerfs... i believe when I see it, but i find there are other armies way more broken then ours. It's difficult to argue we have broken toys. I have yet to see actual proof that our stuff needs nerfs. Perception with out factual evidence is just that a perception. But this is my opinion. I am still green to the game and green is the best color

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/25 23:27:17


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 addnid wrote:


Well to be honest our dakkajet is clearly undercosted (when freebooter), but the wazbom is just a decent but very expensive antitank glass canon. If you go second, against any decently built army (one with S8 multidamage shots) you will lose those 210 points t1. 210 points for 12 wounds t6 4+ 5++ is a bit of a problem as it dies to Volkite even with the -1 damage. It is not "Cancer" IMHO, not like ad mech chickens and druk dark lance raiders.

The 120 point dakkajet has no real weakness however, and though it is not in the same league as ad mech flyers, it has the same kind of problem with that built in -1 to hit and those 42 speedwaagh S6 ap-2 shots: Too Damn efficient For Its Points. Perhaps it needs to go up by 10 or 15 points IMHO. It synergises well with sguibuggies, as it can finish off hiding units when the sguigbuggies have all tried and failed, which procures the +1 to hit freebooter.

Apprently, art of war stat dudue (can't remember his name) said he "heard" from reliable sources that "some ork planes and buggies are going up" next munitorum field manual. SO GUYS DONT INVERST TOO MUCH JUST YET but you all already knew that


See, I don't think its undercosted at all. i think its about perfect for what it does. A 120pt Dakkajet gets 24 shots OR 36 at dakka Range. That averages out to 12 hits, against T4 thats 8 wounds and -1AP means 4dmg a turn. The problem is that synergy is a thing and when you team it with +1 to hit from Freebootas +1 shot per gun and -1AP during a WAAAAGH turn it becomes significantly more effective. At that point its putting out 42 shots, 21 hits, 14 wounds and almost 10dmg vs a Marine statline. Against T6 its 7 dmg, still not bad. Its T6, 4+ save and 12 wounds with native -1 to hit. So its reliable, stable and somewhat durable.

So again, the biggest problem is when you give it 1 specific kulture, IE Freeboota. Any other kulture its not a big deal. During a WAAAAGH it only gets 14 hits without that kulture. That lowers its dmg output vs a Marine statline from 10dmg to 6. A good solution would be to give it +1 to hit vs Ground targets and give it a 10-15pt price bump. That way EVERY kulture benefits from the flyer and the Freeboota trait can't proc on it.

 Ordana wrote:

120 pts for 42 str 6 ap -2 shots and you think it should go up by 15 points? Is that what 9th edition has come to? My first instinct is that you could literally double its point cost and it would still sound amazing.


Read above. Its a bit ridiculous that people just Lump all those buffs onto the dakkajet as if its always swinging like that. its requires a once a game buff, a warboss to be alive and for you to kill something first in order to get those good results.

Friendly reminder, for 10pts more an Ad Mech player can take 2 Auto-chickens. That works out to on average 10! S7 -1AP 2dmg hits if its using its +1BS doctrina that it gets every turn. That works out to 6.6dmg a turn without any other unit or traits buffing it. And here is the kicker, they have 12 T6 wounds with 3+ save and a 6++ invuln.

Beardedragon wrote:
I can already hear the whine because of some bloke lost with his dark eldar army turn 1.

*Reeeeeeee, nerf everything*


Its already happening on facebook. I'm watching people melt down over the fact that orkz won the SoCal open...they seem to completely ignore the fact that Drukhari and Ad-Mech OWNED EVERY OTHER TOP 6 SPOT! I am not exaggerating either, 2nd - 6th place were Drukhari and Ad Mech, 3 Drukhari and 2 Ad Mech. But I have seen more hate towards the 1 ork list that won than all other combined.
 Some_Call_Me_Tim wrote:


Basically
I’m just waiting for kommandos to become like, 14 points a pop, then have people praise the internal balance cause they’re no longer vastly better than boys.


This isn't funny to me because I remember the grim days of 7th and index 8th where we had the top tier armies telling Orkz not to complain or whine because they had "Great internal balance". Which was actually true, all our units sucked, so they were in fact balanced against one another. If they nerf Buggies the way I think they are going to, its going to be bad...we will be forced to MSU Ork boyz and maybe some heavy hitters that dodge the nerf bat.

 Tomsug wrote:
Semper krumps under the radar

 
   
Made in gb
Smokin' Skorcha Driver





United Kingdom

SemperMortis wrote:
If they nerf Buggies the way I think they are going to, its going to be bad...we will be forced to MSU Ork boyz and maybe some heavy hitters that dodge the nerf bat.


If they nerf buggies into the ground, you can still use bikers, kannon wagons and deffkoptas for a speedwaaagh, and bikers, hogs and kill rigs for a regular waaagh. Or kill tanks for either one.

If we're gonna be taking a big hit from the nerf bat we still at least have solid alternatives.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




I'd hope that any nerfs would also come with buffs. It would be nice if boyz, nobz, killa kans and other mediocre stuff got a point cut at the same time.

I'm just worried that GW is just gonna give us only nerfs.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Afrodactyl wrote:
Maybe dakkajets going up to 110/120 base as well.


I certainly hope not. I think their current pricing is great, but the problem is that one clan in particular raises their value disproportionately. A price bump would more likely just result from them dropping out of non-Freebooter lists. Freebooters will still take them and people will still be upset. At the current price, a Dakkajet can underperform in a shooting phase, or die from a good enemy shooting phase before it gets to fire more than once, and I don't feel like I had a huge loss on the investment.
   
Made in us
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Nebraska, USA

you guys really like to cry doom n gloom....this has been a cycle every ork release that whatever is actually good is gonna get slammed hard. Not even whats actually OP good, no just 'good' good.

I could easily see 2 of the buggies going up a bit because they do feel unusually cheap, but aside from that...the codex is fine... every codex gets a couple point tweaks in the CA here and there.

An ork with an idea tends to end with a bang.

14000pts Big 'n Bad Orkz
6000pts Admech/Knights
7500pts Necron Goldboys 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




You do realize boys and Gretchin were are best units pre buggies and they weren’t really undecosted. We ain’t marines :p
   
Made in cz
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets





Prague

Stop moaning. Drukhari “expect nerf very soon” two years already. The only they got is small balance.

And the new AdMech? THIS was broken like a hell and pop up few weeks after codex release. Improved Dakkajet is a piece of junk if you compare it to the original chickens etc. And those way the only that got something like a nerf, bud very light and gentle.

Orks are out since summer. The “broken lists” do not use the new models so people play it almost 3 months already. Are we top tier army ruining the tournaments? Well, look at the goonhammer stats. The best you can say is, we are in top 10 and definitely not top 3.

Moaning about ork player smashed down druhkari on SoCal? Look at the video. It was a combination of “anti drukhari list”, good luck and bad luck.

So stop moaning. Go, have a seat and enjoy the game or paint your killrigs

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/26 06:53:52


10500p and one Ad Mech T-shirt 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: