Switch Theme:

Anyone else feeling content fatigue?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






the_scotsman wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
I continually perplexed by people who say that Games Workshop should make rules free. Why on Earth would they give away something that people are already willing to pay for? Don't get me wrong; I wish they would give the rules away for free, but to suggest that they should, neglects to consider the entire purpose of Games Workshop in the first place.


My suggestion to them was to make rules a subscription service. The way they structure their business, it essentially already is, but you have to buy all these fething books and lug them around with you. So, obviously, the market is there to pay for rules and support the salaries of a rules team (and maybe they could hire a few humans instead of the current staff of chimps) but you could just migrate to a system that could be easily and quickly updated when mistakes and misprints are uncovered, actively fine-tuned on a weekly basis, and with regular new content additions to justify something like a 15-20$ a month price tag. Just make up a proprietary app, pop it on the apple and play store, and upload all current rules content.


it would be DOA at 15-20 a month that is more than a netflix subscription. even most MMOs run in the 48-15 a month range. I think GW should go the route of warmahordes/macine and have an app with basic units to armies listed but you pay to unlock all the content of the army. that way people get a small preview of the army adn can choose to buy the digital rules for said army. That way they can also after seeing other armies get excited and buy models or rules for them. I want to say it was like $10-15 per faction. If they wanted subscription though I would say $5 monthly would be about right, that way it is about the equivilant of buying almost 2 codexes per year. make an addon for a few bucks that includes the data card and an in app list buildeing tool/game tracking. call it liek the basic ap and the general's edition or something. from a company perspective the possibility of $5 per month per player would excite the hell out of GW's investors and might give them the motivation to dedicate more people to the idea that the rules for units are very important maybe even more important than just new nice looking kits
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




5$ per month is a lot of money though, that is not counting the phone or tablet you would need to run it on. Plus knowing GW exchange rates it would be closer to 7-8$ plus tax.
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






Karol wrote:
5$ per month is a lot of money though, that is not counting the phone or tablet you would need to run it on. Plus knowing GW exchange rates it would be closer to 7-8$ plus tax.


I think it is more in line than $15-20 and I can't speak for everybody but $15-20 monthly i would need to justify to the spouse (even though compared to our incme it is practically nothing) it would still represent $180-240 per year. $5 is $60 per year and my wife is not going to care at all at that point. its basically the cost of an energy drink and a candybar per month.

as for cost difference for regions the cool thing there is with a VPN you could just log on to your device and have it appear to be in the UK, pay the price off a google play balance and then afte downloading change location back to your home. as for having a phoen or tablet its 2019 people who have the money to play 40k have smartphones. there may be a few outliners who do not but as a vast majority i would confidently estimate in the 99+% of 40k players owning a smartphone or tablet,.

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut







Sgt. Cortez wrote:
You don't buy CA because of points costs alone. If you aren't interested in the points costs, don't buy it. And even if you are, wait a week and get them from Battlescribe.

I do wish people would stop advocating piracy on here.

Let alone potentially inaccurate piracy.

2019 Plog - Dysartes Twitches - 2019 Output

My Twitch stream - going live at 7pm GMT Tuesday & Thursday, 12pm Sunday (work permitting).

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.
 
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





 Dysartes wrote:
Sgt. Cortez wrote:
You don't buy CA because of points costs alone. If you aren't interested in the points costs, don't buy it. And even if you are, wait a week and get them from Battlescribe.

I do wish people would stop advocating piracy on here.

Let alone potentially inaccurate piracy.


Piracy is a Service problem.

Gabe Newell.

But you are right Battlescribe is more often then not off somewhat iffy quality.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/24 20:59:18


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in us
Clousseau





East Bay, Ca, US

My concern is with the new chaos keywords being so difficult to work with unless you play the army, that a lot of misplaying will happen at tournaments. It's very frustrating not to know your opponents rules, and typically getting an e-copy of the codex is enough.

But now, you need a bunch of different publications and you need to dig deeper to vet out if your opponent is even playing legally.

For instance, are they casting Warp Time on a <HERETIC ASTARTES> Khorne Daemon prince, or a Daemon Prince with the <KHORNE> faction? It matters. And this is a low hanging fruit easy to understand example.

 Galas wrote:
I remember when Marmatag was a nooby, all shiney and full of joy. How playing the unbalanced mess of Warhammer40k in a ultra-competitive meta has changed you

Bharring wrote:
He'll actually *change his mind* in the presence of sufficient/sufficiently defended information. Heretic.
 
   
Made in us
Revving Ravenwing Biker




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 G00fySmiley wrote:
Spoiler:
the_scotsman wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
I continually perplexed by people who say that Games Workshop should make rules free. Why on Earth would they give away something that people are already willing to pay for? Don't get me wrong; I wish they would give the rules away for free, but to suggest that they should, neglects to consider the entire purpose of Games Workshop in the first place.


My suggestion to them was to make rules a subscription service. The way they structure their business, it essentially already is, but you have to buy all these fething books and lug them around with you. So, obviously, the market is there to pay for rules and support the salaries of a rules team (and maybe they could hire a few humans instead of the current staff of chimps) but you could just migrate to a system that could be easily and quickly updated when mistakes and misprints are uncovered, actively fine-tuned on a weekly basis, and with regular new content additions to justify something like a 15-20$ a month price tag. Just make up a proprietary app, pop it on the apple and play store, and upload all current rules content.


it would be DOA at 15-20 a month that is more than a netflix subscription. even most MMOs run in the 48-15 a month range. I think GW should go the route of warmahordes/macine and have an app with basic units to armies listed but you pay to unlock all the content of the army. that way people get a small preview of the army adn can choose to buy the digital rules for said army. That way they can also after seeing other armies get excited and buy models or rules for them. I want to say it was like $10-15 per faction. If they wanted subscription though I would say $5 monthly would be about right, that way it is about the equivilant of buying almost 2 codexes per year. make an addon for a few bucks that includes the data card and an in app list buildeing tool/game tracking. call it liek the basic ap and the general's edition or something. from a company perspective the possibility of $5 per month per player would excite the hell out of GW's investors and might give them the motivation to dedicate more people to the idea that the rules for units are very important maybe even more important than just new nice looking kits


Not a bad idea at all. Fits with the modern trend of services as subscriptions, and would be a lot more economically realistic for Games Workshop than just, "they should give the rules for free." Might also be a bit more environmental to finally get rid of all of that paper, not that I don't love leafing through paper.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Dysartes wrote:
I do wish people would stop advocating piracy on here.
Why? Battlescribe fills a void left by Games Workshop's greedy pricing. That void could easily be replaced by Games Workshop themselves if they were willing.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/04/25 03:36:21


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut







 Ginjitzu wrote:
 Dysartes wrote:
I do wish people would stop advocating piracy on here.
Why? Battlescribe fills a void left by Games Workshop's greedy pricing. That void could easily be replaced by Games Workshop themselves if they were willing.

Why? Shockingly enough, because piracy is wrong.

If you don't wish to pay for the material - be it points changes or whatever - you do not have the right to have access to that material. Either pony up or don't use it.

This sort of entitled attitude is why tournaments should be making it a requirement that you bring a first-party source for all material you need to run your army - ideally a physical copy.

Advocating using Battlescribe instead of buying the latest CA is no different than advocating buying a recast instead of an original model.
   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






 Dysartes wrote:
Advocating using Battlescribe instead of buying the latest CA is no different than advocating buying a recast instead of an original model.


Its not really though is it? If GW had an issue with list builders like Battlescribe they would have sent the C&D letters long ago, presumably Battalescribe and similar do not contain all of the info needed to play and certainly don't contain all of the fluff etc.
   
Made in us
Steadfast Grey Hunter




Malus Dei

I think the game is great minus the ally nonsense. Once that's gone, I'd have no complaints.

 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Considering now that the ally genie is well and truly with us, you'll be complaining for awhile then. I doubt it's going anywhere now. Allies, Super heavies, countless splat books and rules bloat till you need a library to make a list, I fear this is the future. Where we are going, you won't need eyes to see. You will however need all the money to stay up to date week to week. As well as internal computer memory inside your brain to keep track of all the rules and where to find them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/25 07:25:41


 
   
Made in gb
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan





AngryAngel80 wrote:
Considering now that the ally genie is well and truly with us, you'll be complaining for awhile then. I doubt it's going anywhere now. Allies, Super heavies, countless splat books and rules bloat till you need a library to make a list, I fear this is the future. Where we are going, you won't need eyes to see. You will however need all the money to stay up to date week to week. As well as internal computer memory inside your brain to keep track of all the rules and where to find them.


I mean, most of it is handled by Battlescribe. Which is in itself a massive failing on GW's part!

I'd trust a list made in Battlescribe over an opponent trying to figure out themselves what is going on from all the FAQs and such 99% of the time.
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





 Stux wrote:
AngryAngel80 wrote:
Considering now that the ally genie is well and truly with us, you'll be complaining for awhile then. I doubt it's going anywhere now. Allies, Super heavies, countless splat books and rules bloat till you need a library to make a list, I fear this is the future. Where we are going, you won't need eyes to see. You will however need all the money to stay up to date week to week. As well as internal computer memory inside your brain to keep track of all the rules and where to find them.


I mean, most of it is handled by Battlescribe. Which is in itself a massive failing on GW's part!

I'd trust a list made in Battlescribe over an opponent trying to figure out themselves what is going on from all the FAQs and such 99% of the time.


PPPFFT, you mean Battlescribe how can't even get the weapons profiles right?

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in gb
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan





All the weapon profiles I have use for are right. If you spot a mistake, report it and it'll get fixed pretty fast.

On the other hand I see people using Codexes regularly forgetting things got FAQd, it's an absolute mess. Just use BS, seriously.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/25 10:11:28


 
   
Made in us
Strangely Beautiful Daemonette of Slaanesh






 Ginjitzu wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
Spoiler:
the_scotsman wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
I continually perplexed by people who say that Games Workshop should make rules free. Why on Earth would they give away something that people are already willing to pay for? Don't get me wrong; I wish they would give the rules away for free, but to suggest that they should, neglects to consider the entire purpose of Games Workshop in the first place.


My suggestion to them was to make rules a subscription service. The way they structure their business, it essentially already is, but you have to buy all these fething books and lug them around with you. So, obviously, the market is there to pay for rules and support the salaries of a rules team (and maybe they could hire a few humans instead of the current staff of chimps) but you could just migrate to a system that could be easily and quickly updated when mistakes and misprints are uncovered, actively fine-tuned on a weekly basis, and with regular new content additions to justify something like a 15-20$ a month price tag. Just make up a proprietary app, pop it on the apple and play store, and upload all current rules content.


it would be DOA at 15-20 a month that is more than a netflix subscription. even most MMOs run in the 48-15 a month range. I think GW should go the route of warmahordes/macine and have an app with basic units to armies listed but you pay to unlock all the content of the army. that way people get a small preview of the army adn can choose to buy the digital rules for said army. That way they can also after seeing other armies get excited and buy models or rules for them. I want to say it was like $10-15 per faction. If they wanted subscription though I would say $5 monthly would be about right, that way it is about the equivilant of buying almost 2 codexes per year. make an addon for a few bucks that includes the data card and an in app list buildeing tool/game tracking. call it liek the basic ap and the general's edition or something. from a company perspective the possibility of $5 per month per player would excite the hell out of GW's investors and might give them the motivation to dedicate more people to the idea that the rules for units are very important maybe even more important than just new nice looking kits


Not a bad idea at all. Fits with the modern trend of services as subscriptions, and would be a lot more economically realistic for Games Workshop than just, "they should give the rules for free." Might also be a bit more environmental to finally get rid of all of that paper, not that I don't love leafing through paper.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Dysartes wrote:
I do wish people would stop advocating piracy on here.
Why? Battlescribe fills a void left by Games Workshop's greedy pricing. That void could easily be replaced by Games Workshop themselves if they were willing.

*~You wouldn't download a rhino~*
   
Made in gb
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan





 DominayTrix wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
Spoiler:
the_scotsman wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
I continually perplexed by people who say that Games Workshop should make rules free. Why on Earth would they give away something that people are already willing to pay for? Don't get me wrong; I wish they would give the rules away for free, but to suggest that they should, neglects to consider the entire purpose of Games Workshop in the first place.


My suggestion to them was to make rules a subscription service. The way they structure their business, it essentially already is, but you have to buy all these fething books and lug them around with you. So, obviously, the market is there to pay for rules and support the salaries of a rules team (and maybe they could hire a few humans instead of the current staff of chimps) but you could just migrate to a system that could be easily and quickly updated when mistakes and misprints are uncovered, actively fine-tuned on a weekly basis, and with regular new content additions to justify something like a 15-20$ a month price tag. Just make up a proprietary app, pop it on the apple and play store, and upload all current rules content.


it would be DOA at 15-20 a month that is more than a netflix subscription. even most MMOs run in the 48-15 a month range. I think GW should go the route of warmahordes/macine and have an app with basic units to armies listed but you pay to unlock all the content of the army. that way people get a small preview of the army adn can choose to buy the digital rules for said army. That way they can also after seeing other armies get excited and buy models or rules for them. I want to say it was like $10-15 per faction. If they wanted subscription though I would say $5 monthly would be about right, that way it is about the equivilant of buying almost 2 codexes per year. make an addon for a few bucks that includes the data card and an in app list buildeing tool/game tracking. call it liek the basic ap and the general's edition or something. from a company perspective the possibility of $5 per month per player would excite the hell out of GW's investors and might give them the motivation to dedicate more people to the idea that the rules for units are very important maybe even more important than just new nice looking kits


Not a bad idea at all. Fits with the modern trend of services as subscriptions, and would be a lot more economically realistic for Games Workshop than just, "they should give the rules for free." Might also be a bit more environmental to finally get rid of all of that paper, not that I don't love leafing through paper.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Dysartes wrote:
I do wish people would stop advocating piracy on here.
Why? Battlescribe fills a void left by Games Workshop's greedy pricing. That void could easily be replaced by Games Workshop themselves if they were willing.

*~You wouldn't download a rhino~*


I'm not advocating using Battlescribe without owning the books, just to be clear.
   
Made in is
Courageous Beastmaster




Iceland

I have to admit I've never understood the complaint about Battlescribe's inaccuracy. I have occasionally created an army in Battlescribe and then subsequently combed over stats and points in comparison to my books and I don't think I've found any errors so far. Must be army dependent.

Cypher | Craftworlds | Drukhari | Dark Angels | Necrons | Emperor's Children(30k/40k) | Tyranids | Orks | Death Guard

Daughters of Khaine | Blades of Khorne | Stormcast Eternals | Flesh-Eater Courts
 
   
Made in gb
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan





 Eldarsif wrote:
I have to admit I've never understood the complaint about Battlescribe's inaccuracy. I have occasionally created an army in Battlescribe and then subsequently combed over stats and points in comparison to my books and I don't think I've found any errors so far. Must be army dependent.


Based on specific examples I've encountered from people here too, often Battlescribe actually turns out to be correct and the user who thought it was wrong had actually made a mistake!
   
Made in gb
Hungry Ghoul






Battlescribe has been consistently more accurate in the past than I have and still reminds me of relevant faqs. Consequently, I now rely wholeheartedly and unashamedly on it for list building. It's a great service.

Death Guard | Alpha Legion | Tau
LoN | NH
 
   
Made in us
Strangely Beautiful Daemonette of Slaanesh






 Stux wrote:
 Eldarsif wrote:
I have to admit I've never understood the complaint about Battlescribe's inaccuracy. I have occasionally created an army in Battlescribe and then subsequently combed over stats and points in comparison to my books and I don't think I've found any errors so far. Must be army dependent.


Based on specific examples I've encountered from people here too, often Battlescribe actually turns out to be correct and the user who thought it was wrong had actually made a mistake!

It is the exact same argument as "Wikipedia isn't a reliable source because ANYONE can edit it." Despite the fact that wiki has a faster turnaround for error correction and less frequent errors than "reliable" sources like Encyclopedia Britannica etc. In theory TFG could make edits to his Battlescribe data, but that is no different from someone not bringing a list/codex and lying for advantage.
   
Made in gb
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan





 DominayTrix wrote:
 Stux wrote:
 Eldarsif wrote:
I have to admit I've never understood the complaint about Battlescribe's inaccuracy. I have occasionally created an army in Battlescribe and then subsequently combed over stats and points in comparison to my books and I don't think I've found any errors so far. Must be army dependent.


Based on specific examples I've encountered from people here too, often Battlescribe actually turns out to be correct and the user who thought it was wrong had actually made a mistake!

It is the exact same argument as "Wikipedia isn't a reliable source because ANYONE can edit it." Despite the fact that wiki has a faster turnaround for error correction and less frequent errors than "reliable" sources like Encyclopedia Britannica etc. In theory TFG could make edits to his Battlescribe data, but that is no different from someone not bringing a list/codex and lying for advantage.


Absolutely.

The big caveat of course is in the immediate week or two after a big release. The volume of data makes a few issues inevitable. But we can all help speed this along by flagging issue, rather than just complaining here.
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





 Stux wrote:
 DominayTrix wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
Spoiler:
the_scotsman wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
I continually perplexed by people who say that Games Workshop should make rules free. Why on Earth would they give away something that people are already willing to pay for? Don't get me wrong; I wish they would give the rules away for free, but to suggest that they should, neglects to consider the entire purpose of Games Workshop in the first place.


My suggestion to them was to make rules a subscription service. The way they structure their business, it essentially already is, but you have to buy all these fething books and lug them around with you. So, obviously, the market is there to pay for rules and support the salaries of a rules team (and maybe they could hire a few humans instead of the current staff of chimps) but you could just migrate to a system that could be easily and quickly updated when mistakes and misprints are uncovered, actively fine-tuned on a weekly basis, and with regular new content additions to justify something like a 15-20$ a month price tag. Just make up a proprietary app, pop it on the apple and play store, and upload all current rules content.


it would be DOA at 15-20 a month that is more than a netflix subscription. even most MMOs run in the 48-15 a month range. I think GW should go the route of warmahordes/macine and have an app with basic units to armies listed but you pay to unlock all the content of the army. that way people get a small preview of the army adn can choose to buy the digital rules for said army. That way they can also after seeing other armies get excited and buy models or rules for them. I want to say it was like $10-15 per faction. If they wanted subscription though I would say $5 monthly would be about right, that way it is about the equivilant of buying almost 2 codexes per year. make an addon for a few bucks that includes the data card and an in app list buildeing tool/game tracking. call it liek the basic ap and the general's edition or something. from a company perspective the possibility of $5 per month per player would excite the hell out of GW's investors and might give them the motivation to dedicate more people to the idea that the rules for units are very important maybe even more important than just new nice looking kits


Not a bad idea at all. Fits with the modern trend of services as subscriptions, and would be a lot more economically realistic for Games Workshop than just, "they should give the rules for free." Might also be a bit more environmental to finally get rid of all of that paper, not that I don't love leafing through paper.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Dysartes wrote:
I do wish people would stop advocating piracy on here.
Why? Battlescribe fills a void left by Games Workshop's greedy pricing. That void could easily be replaced by Games Workshop themselves if they were willing.

*~You wouldn't download a rhino~*


I'm not advocating using Battlescribe without owning the books, just to be clear.


Yeah lets be realistic, I own CA2018, use it as a reference for urban combat, eternal war missions, and pretty much never look at the points page because it's far, far more convenient to build a list on Battlescribe and far less likely I screw up than opening up two books, writing down a number, cross-referencing the almost totally unformatted list in CA2018 to try and make sure that number is correct, and then doing that for 100 different units/wargear options I want to add up.

This kind of just smacks of those "you've got to own a gun to protect yourself" folks who just ignore that the potential for you or a loved one to accidentally injure yourself or an innocent person with it far outweighs your odds of needing it because the world's most incompetent burglar decided to kick your door down at midnight instead of just waiting for you to leave for work in the morning.

Battlescribe might have mistakes. YOU however, also might make mistakes, and you don't have an online community very interested in accuracy double checking your every move.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





For those noticing mistakes in battlescribe, the proper retort is here:
https://github.com/BSData/wh40k

The 'Fork' button will let you fix it for yourself. If you want to share your fix with everyone else, please do.
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






In theory you should be able to open an "issue" and they'll fix it. In theory...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/25 14:22:20


Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++There are currently ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN (115) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
+++++List of "broken" RaW in Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities
Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users.
Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Opening an 'issue' is just saying 'I found a problem'. It's better than ignoring a problem, so please do?

Even better than opening an 'issue' is forking, fixing, then doing a pull request. If you really want to "do it right", open an issue describing what you're fixing, and reference it.

But opening an 'issue' and not supplying the fix yourself, then complaining that people shouldn't use BattleScribe because it's wrong, then spending even more time to do things differently instead of fixing BattleScribe, doesn't help anyone.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





I've not bought a single book in 8th and rely on other sources. The only times I have gotten rules wrong was due to poor memory or a mistake on my part in not reading/understanding a rule properly rather than the sources being wrong. I 100% pirate rules and do it because I am cheap and don't want to spend the money on a product that I do not see the value in. I don't want to carry around books and keep tracking of all the FAQs, Erratas and updates is a nightmare that thanks to services like battlescribe I don't need to contend with.

Now if GW came out with a subscription service that just had ALL the rules and their associated updates as well as an actually good army builder all in one place I would 100% give them my money.

 
   
Made in gb
Freaky Flayed One





A few gripes:
1. Content is released on a monthly basis (give or take), but errata is release bi-annually with a 6 month lag. That's horrendously out of kilter and only going to get worse as the errata lags further and further behind the rules.
2. If GW thinks they're gonna get me to pay for errata (Chapter Approved) then they're insane.
3. If people want to start whining about Battlescribe and/or PDFs, then they can carry around all the books I "need" (Core Rules + Errata, Codex + Errata, Chapter Approved + Errata, BIG FAQ).
   
Made in gb
Perfect Shot Ultramarine Predator Pilot





UK

 Dysartes wrote:
If you don't wish to pay for the material - be it points changes or whatever - you do not have the right to have access to that material. Either pony up or don't use it.

This sort of entitled attitude is why tournaments should be making it a requirement that you bring a first-party source for all material you need to run your army - ideally a physical copy.

Advocating using Battlescribe instead of buying the latest CA is no different than advocating buying a recast instead of an original model.

I own the BRB, the latest CA and my Codex, but I still use BattleScribe because it allows me to share my list and means I don't have to cross-reference all the points changes. It doesn't replace any of the books because it only contains the datasheets and points. I'd happily use an official app (if it existed) even if it didn't have datasheets, just the ability to let you build a battle-forged list and handle all the loadouts and points. I appreciate that GW wants to sell those too so maybe that's too much to ask for, but in my case at least, I'm not gaining any information I haven't already paid for.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/04/25 20:29:42


 
   
Made in us
Strangely Beautiful Daemonette of Slaanesh






 Brother Castor wrote:
 Dysartes wrote:
If you don't wish to pay for the material - be it points changes or whatever - you do not have the right to have access to that material. Either pony up or don't use it.

This sort of entitled attitude is why tournaments should be making it a requirement that you bring a first-party source for all material you need to run your army - ideally a physical copy.

Advocating using Battlescribe instead of buying the latest CA is no different than advocating buying a recast instead of an original model.

I own the BRB, the latest CA and my Codex, but I still use BattleScribe because it allows me to share my list and means I don't have to cross-reference all the points changes. It doesn't replace any of the books because it only contains the datasheets and points. I'd happily use an official app (if it existed) even if it didn't have datasheets, just the ability to let you build a battle-forged list and handle all the loadouts and points. I appreciate that GW wants to sell those too so maybe that's too much to ask for, but in my case at least, I'm not gaining any information I haven't already paid for.

Likewise. Its just like the music and movie/film industries. PIracy actually increases sales. Game of Thrones would not be nearly as big as it is today if it wasn't for torrents making it available to everyone. Mp3 players wouldn't have dominated the under 16 market nearly as hard as they did without music piracy. All GW has to do is find a way to profit off that market, which would be to do exactly what battlescribe does (gathers and updates all data for list building), but at a price people are willing to pay.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





If GW had any sense at all they would offer a D&D Beyond type service, but obviously tailored to matched play 40k. They'd make a financial killing too, if done right.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: