Switch Theme:

Squats return! - Page 11  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Is this an April Fools?
Yes. It is an April Fools
No. It is not an April Fools

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Battle-tested Knight Castellan Pilot




Oakland, CA

The Exo-Driller is a nice figure. I'm liking this range.

I agree that the head is a little wonky, but nothing that a little mod can't fix.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

The header might be a bit wonky but it's miles better from the regular Necromundan Squat heads

"Tabletop games are the only setting when a body is made more horrifying for NOT being chopped into smaller pieces."
- Jiado 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Voss wrote:
 silverstu wrote:
Yeah.. not sure about it, not sure on the head specifically. Really hoping we see Kin exo suits soon since they've shown the new version of the trike, the exo suit is the other iconic unit that should be included in the update. Would make. nice foil to contrast this and the Votann Exos in the same week.


I'm beginning to wonder if they're peeling the old army apart and putting different aspects in different bins Votann gets trikes (antigrav because Dark Age tech), Necro Squats get Exosuits.
They mentioned during the stream that the Necromunda gang isn't part of the Votann army (which is consistent with other necromunda gangs), so... how big is this divide going to get?


I think they are doing more school vibes with the Necromunda Squats but they have shown what looks like Exo suits in the artwork in the "What is a Votann" article. Looks like they did a bunch of concepts at the start of the project to bring back the squats - they went with the Votann concepts but picked up the miners for Necromunda. Good to have the variety [and I wonder if there are demiurg concepts as well], but I much prefer the Votann designs so far.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 silverstu wrote:
Voss wrote:
 silverstu wrote:
Yeah.. not sure about it, not sure on the head specifically. Really hoping we see Kin exo suits soon since they've shown the new version of the trike, the exo suit is the other iconic unit that should be included in the update. Would make. nice foil to contrast this and the Votann Exos in the same week.


I'm beginning to wonder if they're peeling the old army apart and putting different aspects in different bins Votann gets trikes (antigrav because Dark Age tech), Necro Squats get Exosuits.
They mentioned during the stream that the Necromunda gang isn't part of the Votann army (which is consistent with other necromunda gangs), so... how big is this divide going to get?


and I wonder if there are demiurg concepts as well]


The Leagues are quite clearly based around the piece of concept art that was made for the Demiurg years ago.
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User




very interested where they take the lore for these guys. The models look great so far - makes me want to put together a space faring/comet mining army.
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Voss wrote:
That said, it has a fist and 'seismic crusher' which presumably is the launcher on the back that fires some sort of shells, and the heavy flamer or bolter. Which probably makes it a little too good, to be honest.
Nothing quite says "Mining Equipment" like a rapid fire .75 cal mass reactive explosive mini-missile launcher.

Yes, I know it's a refit, but still.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Depends what you're mining, I guess - it'd be an interesting way of bringing down a wall of rock or compacted ash, for example.

And one of the Eisenhorn books has an archaeologist using a hand flamer to clear debris off rock carvings.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Denison, Iowa

 Dysartes wrote:
Depends what you're mining, I guess - it'd be an interesting way of bringing down a wall of rock or compacted ash, for example.

And one of the Eisenhorn books has an archaeologist using a hand flamer to clear debris off rock carvings.


In real life they use surplus breach loading cannons to shoot snow drifts on the side of mountains to prevent major buildups turning into avalanches.
   
Made in us
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant




Virginia

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Nothing quite says "Mining Equipment" like a rapid fire .75 cal mass reactive explosive mini-missile launcher.

It's not a gang war, it's a 3-day special mining operation...


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/18 16:27:48


 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Nothing quite says "Mining Equipment" like a rapid fire .75 cal mass reactive explosive mini-missile launcher.


They mine your soul out of your body.

Posters on ignore list: 35

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
Voss wrote:
That said, it has a fist and 'seismic crusher' which presumably is the launcher on the back that fires some sort of shells, and the heavy flamer or bolter. Which probably makes it a little too good, to be honest.
Nothing quite says "Mining Equipment" like a rapid fire .75 cal mass reactive explosive mini-missile launcher.

Yes, I know it's a refit, but still.


Not sure they’ve been referred to as competent miners yet?

Enthusiastic, sure. And what’s the point in honking great suits of armour if not to let you get silly?

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

H.B.M.C, 27 July 2022. Suddenly the Chaos Codex doesn't seem so bad.

Not at all quote mined. 
   
Made in us
Battlefield Tourist




MN

Instead of Chaos LoV I think it would be more fun to have a Genestealer Cult version of them.

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing 
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






Got Dakka?

Squats do!





Warhammer Community wrote: The Leagues of Votann are still a few months out from making first tabletop contact with the rest of the 41st Millennium, but after learning about the Ancestor Cores and the cloneskeins, we’re all agog for the main course – the guns.

As with more or less everything else in the Leagues, the collected technological knowledge of the Kin is contained within the Votann. These ancient minds are vast repositories of weapon schematics that would have just about every member of the Adeptus Mechanicus weighing up the merits of becoming a heretek. The Kin, you see, are sitting on a closely guarded network of functioning STCs – a fact reflected across their entire armoury.

An armoury which, mark you, they are perfectly permitted to improve over time. The Kin may move slowly, but they’re not stuck in technological stasis like some factions we could mention. Their engineers – called Brôkhyrs – command the auto-foundries of each Kin hold from their personal A.N-vyl terminals. But what are they forging?

From the Autoch-pattern bolter to the Etacarn plasma gun, many Kin weapons bear superficial similarities to Imperial weapons, but they’re superior in every respect. There’s a clear shared ancestry between the bolt revolver and bolt shotgun and the bolt weapons of the Adeptus Astartes, but Kin weapons simply work better and hit harder.

Then there are items like the volkanite disintegrators, which use technology since lost to the Imperium, or ion technology, which is proscribed by the Adeptus Mechanicus. That’s their loss – the T’au Empire certainly seemed to appreciate being taught how to harness it…

All these weapons are supported by smart tech integrated into Kin battlegear. The haptic utility nerve transmission recalibrator modules – HunTR for short – interface with their neural augmetics to establish a feedback loop between firearms and their users. This system projects minute gravitational pulses to maintain a stable firing platform even while running at full pelt – or zooming along on a flying trike.

The Leagues don’t just fight at range, either. The Kin recognise the need for hand-to-hand engagements – especially in the face of swarms of Orks or Tyranids occupying a perfectly good mineral-rich asteroid – and their melee weaponry is similarly high-tech. They make substantial use of plasma fields either to augment blades or extend them, while concussion weapons like hammers and mauls mount mass drivers to really make an impact.

Believe it or not, there’s still a heap of fresh info to come for the Leagues of Votann, which we’ll be dripping out over the next few months. Sign up for our newsletter to get all the info right as it’s published.


This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/05/20 12:05:56


Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

H.B.M.C, 27 July 2022. Suddenly the Chaos Codex doesn't seem so bad.

Not at all quote mined. 
   
Made in be
Raging Rat Ogre




Enoying that (steampunk-ish?) revolver aesthetic, fun stuff.

Can't wait to see some more infantry, it's all shaping up rather nicely.
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






I’m particularly excited for Conversion Beamers.

They’ve never been particularly useful on the board (more or fire, range highly tricksy), but they’re so ludicrous I love them.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

H.B.M.C, 27 July 2022. Suddenly the Chaos Codex doesn't seem so bad.

Not at all quote mined. 
   
Made in us
Veteran Knight Baron in a Crusader






They really went and wrote "The squats have better bolters than space marines AND taught the Tau how to make ion weapons" and I'm kind of here for it.

I'm on a podcast about (video) game design:
https://anchor.fm/makethatgame
And I also stream tabletop painting/playing Mon&Thurs 8PM EST
https://twitch.tv/tableitgaming 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Fireknife Shas'el





Leicester

Warhammer Community wrote:Then there are items like the volkanite disintegrators, which use technology since lost to the Imperium, or ion technology, which is proscribed by the Adeptus Mechanicus. That’s their loss – the T’au Empire certainly seemed to appreciate being taught how to harness it…


Demiurge confirmed? Certainly some kind of relationship between the Leagues and Tau.

DS:80+S+GM+B+I+Pw40k08D+A++WD355R+T(M)DM+
 Zed wrote:
*All statements reflect my opinion at this moment. if some sort of pretty new model gets released (or if I change my mind at random) I reserve the right to jump on any bandwagon at will.
 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Jadenim wrote:
Warhammer Community wrote:Then there are items like the volkanite disintegrators, which use technology since lost to the Imperium, or ion technology, which is proscribed by the Adeptus Mechanicus. That’s their loss – the T’au Empire certainly seemed to appreciate being taught how to harness it…


Demiurge confirmed? Certainly some kind of relationship between the Leagues and Tau.


I'm betting that the Demiurg, are like the Necromunda Squats, in being an offshoot from the Leagues. The old Squat background had the Engineers Guild. Maybe the Demiurg are the new revamped version of that, or something like a trader subfaction that goes out and mines and trades with other races.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/20 12:33:49


 
   
Made in si
Ravenous Beast Form







Votann guns are pretty cool, I don't see any that would need the round to teleport multiple times inside the gun for it to work, unlike the Ash Wastes squats' guns.

Posters on ignore list: 35

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Leader of the Sept







Viable mechanics aside, it seems like bolt shotguns are a bit redundant if you can already mass produce bolters. Necromunda bolt rounds were a stop gap measure when you are trying to bump up lethality but only have a simple tube.

And revolvers seem a bit limiting.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Also their engineers are bro’s? Really? As an engineer can I be a bit outraged on the behalf of the Kin?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2022/05/20 12:49:48


Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps





Warwickscire

Glad to see the old lore that the Ion weapons were an ancient STC that were probably traded to the T'au
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




 zedmeister wrote:
Glad to see the old lore that the Ion weapons were an ancient STC that were probably traded to the T'au


That was the Demiurg that were originally written as trading that tech with the Tau. So there's probably going to be some link between the Leagues and the Demiurg. It's not the first time that GW has mentioned the Demiurg and the Leagues of Votann in the same article.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/20 13:09:35


 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba




The Great State of New Jersey

 Jadenim wrote:
Warhammer Community wrote:Then there are items like the volkanite disintegrators, which use technology since lost to the Imperium, or ion technology, which is proscribed by the Adeptus Mechanicus. That’s their loss – the T’au Empire certainly seemed to appreciate being taught how to harness it…


Demiurge confirmed? Certainly some kind of relationship between the Leagues and Tau.


Demirug all-but-confirmed. Suck it haters, I told you so.

CoALabaer wrote:
Wargamers hate two things: the state of the game and change.
 
   
Made in us
Terrifying Doombull




 Flinty wrote:


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Also their engineers are bro’s? Really? As an engineer can I be a bit outraged on the behalf of the Kin?


Yeah, I choked on that one, and I was already gagging on the technobabble and acronyms.
I guess Brokhyrs help the Bro-Kin with the broken tech.

Squats: Just better.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






I read them as Brokers myself.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

H.B.M.C, 27 July 2022. Suddenly the Chaos Codex doesn't seem so bad.

Not at all quote mined. 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I read them as Brokers myself.


Same. And it mentioned their "A.N-vyl terminals" (yeah anvil, so obvious), and how they are used to command the auto-foundries of each Kin hold. Sounds like a bunch of 3D printers/nano-fabricators to me.

I'm wondering whether their Votann cores will be the weakness that prevents the Kin from becoming total high tech gods and getting to Clarketech like the Necrons. Maybe the slowdown of the cores means production and/or research/download of new tech is throttled.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/05/20 13:51:27


 
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






That’s definitely the implication.

There’s also the eternal issue of STC reliance. You’re good at following instructions - but not necessarily innovation or problem solving.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

H.B.M.C, 27 July 2022. Suddenly the Chaos Codex doesn't seem so bad.

Not at all quote mined. 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




Germany

 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
That’s definitely the implication.

There’s also the eternal issue of STC reliance. You’re good at following instructions - but not necessarily innovation or problem solving.


Except the article also literally says

An armoury which, mark you, they are perfectly permitted to improve over time. The Kin may move slowly, but they’re not stuck in technological stasis like some factions we could mention.



"Tabletop games are the only setting when a body is made more horrifying for NOT being chopped into smaller pieces."
- Jiado 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





The Battle Barge Buffet Line

Iracundus wrote:
 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
I read them as Brokers myself.


Same. And it mentioned their "A.N-vyl terminals" (yeah anvil, so obvious), and how they are used to command the auto-foundries of each Kin hold. Sounds like a bunch of 3D printers/nano-fabricators to me.

I'm wondering whether their Votann cores will be the weakness that prevents the Kin from becoming total high tech gods and getting to Clarketech like the Necrons. Maybe the slowdown of the cores means production and/or research/download of new tech is throttled.


I think the answer to that lies in the first bit of fluff they put out that the cores are malfunctioning after tens of thousands of years taking decades or more to previously give answers for calculations that would have been spit out in minutes. Basically advanced computers with eons of bloatware and updates that have never been rebooted. That's likely preventing them from significantly advancing.

We Munch for Macragge! FOR THE EMPRUH! Cheesesticks and Humus!
 
   
Made in gb
Ridin' on a Snotling Pump Wagon






That doesn’t mean they’re innovating as such.

The difference between only being able to order up a Bolter, and ordering up a Bolter, but specifying you need it 5% lighter, with a scope capable of seeing into specific ranges of light etc, then letting the machine work out how to achieve that.

The difference between ordering a Choose Your Topping pizza from Dominos, and making a pizza from scratch in your own kitchen.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives? Why not join us?

H.B.M.C, 27 July 2022. Suddenly the Chaos Codex doesn't seem so bad.

Not at all quote mined. 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: