Switch Theme:

New Codex SM and Chapter Splat Books Coming! (Core and UM/WS splat book FAQs are out)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Norn Queen






 ph34r wrote:
For successors, if I am say a Dark Angels or Blood Angels successor, do I have to use their particular tactics?

Or can I make them using the regular 'pick 2' successor trait rules?
You have to use the DA or BA rules.

Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++There are currently ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN (115) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
+++++List of "broken" RaW in Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities
Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users.
Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Steelcity

 BaconCatBug wrote:
 ph34r wrote:
For successors, if I am say a Dark Angels or Blood Angels successor, do I have to use their particular tactics?

Or can I make them using the regular 'pick 2' successor trait rules?
You have to use the DA or BA rules.


Incorrect, he can do whatever he wants with his models. The plastic models do not have an inherent codex they must be used for. You can use your models one day using Codex: Space Marines and another day using Codex: Blood Angels. Just use the right rules, how a model is painted is irrelevant. That’s the most bizarre part of 8th edition, the constant questions over if you’re allowed to use YOUR models in a way you want.

Keeper of the DomBox
Warhammer Armies - Click to see galleries of fully painted armies
32,000, 19,000, Renegades - 10,000 , 7,500,  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Kirasu wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
 ph34r wrote:
For successors, if I am say a Dark Angels or Blood Angels successor, do I have to use their particular tactics?

Or can I make them using the regular 'pick 2' successor trait rules?
You have to use the DA or BA rules.


Incorrect, he can do whatever he wants with his models. The plastic models do not have an inherent codex they must be used for. You can use your models one day using Codex: Space Marines and another day using Codex: Blood Angels. Just use the right rules, how a model is painted is irrelevant. That’s the most bizarre part of 8th edition, the constant questions over if you’re allowed to use YOUR models in a way you want.


That’s flat out not what was asked. DA/BA/SW/DW are not compatible with the custom chapter traits.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Steelcity

Then we’re reading different English.

The statement of “or can I make them using regular pick 2 successor traits rules” denotes a CHOICE between Blood Angel rules or Codex: Space Marines.

Yes, he has a choice to use Codex: SM instead of BA.

Keeper of the DomBox
Warhammer Armies - Click to see galleries of fully painted armies
32,000, 19,000, Renegades - 10,000 , 7,500,  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Kirasu wrote:
Then we’re reading different English.

The statement of “or can I make them using regular pick 2 successor traits rules” denotes a CHOICE between Blood Angel rules or Codex: Space Marines.

Yes, he has a choice to use Codex: SM instead of BA.


Not if he wants to run any non Codex-Sm units. Try to run say, Ravenwing or Wolf Guard or Death Company with custom chapter Tactics and you’re playing an illegal army.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Steelcity

Sterling191 wrote:
 Kirasu wrote:
Then we’re reading different English.

The statement of “or can I make them using regular pick 2 successor traits rules” denotes a CHOICE between Blood Angel rules or Codex: Space Marines.

Yes, he has a choice to use Codex: SM instead of BA.


Not if he wants to run any non Codex-Sm units. Try to run say, Ravenwing or Wolf Guard or Death Company with custom chapter Tactics and you’re playing an illegal army.


Sure, I’ll agree with you on that but I was assuming he understood basic rules of creating armies. Just like how you can’t use your Iron Hands successor with ultramarine characters. You can however change any of those models to use a different armies rules as you see fit from game to game, that was my point.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/22 15:25:06


Keeper of the DomBox
Warhammer Armies - Click to see galleries of fully painted armies
32,000, 19,000, Renegades - 10,000 , 7,500,  
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





Good thing this is all totally not a bit clumsy. I bet it never occured to anybody in the rules team because, you know, they talked about their intention for the rules and had a common understanding what they were supposed to do. Too bad not everyone is working at GW HQ

I'm really driven to finish the multitude of Astartes Kill Teams made from Dark Imperium (and now Shadow Spear) I started last year, though. Even that gives me paralysis of choice when it comes to what chapters I want to actually paint and which are just "cool, I guess". Full Marines army like I wanted as a kid? While having to chose traits *and* a look?! Forget it. I wish I could knock out an army like todays Space Sharks as a "quick" project

Looking for a Skaven Doomwheel banner to repair my Nurgle knights.  
   
Made in us
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General






A garden grove on Citadel Station

Sorry for being vague. In my instance I am thinking about specifically Lamenters, and taking a Lamenters special character. So, sounds like I need to use the Blood Angels codex in this case.

ph34r's forgeworld Phobos blog
+From Iron Cometh Strength+ +From Strength Cometh Will+ +From Will Cometh Faith+ +From Faith Cometh Honor+ +From Honor Cometh Iron+
The Polito form is dead, insect. Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence?
When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence.
 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 ph34r wrote:
Sorry for being vague. In my instance I am thinking about specifically Lamenters, and taking a Lamenters special character. So, sounds like I need to use the Blood Angels codex in this case.
Yeah if you want to use Malakim Phoros you're locked into the Blood Angels rules. If you're ok with using the SM codex rules and none of the special BA stuff you can always make your own chapter THE LAMENTERS and use the SM Successor rules, of course.

Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++There are currently ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN (115) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
+++++List of "broken" RaW in Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities
Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users.
Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in us
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General






A garden grove on Citadel Station

 BaconCatBug wrote:
 ph34r wrote:
Sorry for being vague. In my instance I am thinking about specifically Lamenters, and taking a Lamenters special character. So, sounds like I need to use the Blood Angels codex in this case.
Yeah if you want to use Malakim Phoros you're locked into the Blood Angels rules. If you're ok with using the SM codex rules and none of the special BA stuff you can always make your own chapter THE LAMENTERS and use the SM Successor rules, of course.
That makes sense. Thanks guys.

ph34r's forgeworld Phobos blog
+From Iron Cometh Strength+ +From Strength Cometh Will+ +From Will Cometh Faith+ +From Faith Cometh Honor+ +From Honor Cometh Iron+
The Polito form is dead, insect. Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence?
When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence.
 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





it's worth noting one of the generic chapter traits is actually part of the dark angels traits

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

BrianDavion wrote:
it's worth noting one of the generic chapter traits is actually part of the dark angels traits
It is also worth noting that none of them mimic the Imperial Fists or Crimson Fists. Both traits for either of those armies are exclusive (besides sharing the Bolter trait between the two of them).

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in fi
Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 casvalremdeikun wrote:
It is also worth noting that none of them mimic the Imperial Fists or Crimson Fists. Both traits for either of those armies are exclusive (besides sharing the Bolter trait between the two of them).

Which is weird. I almost suspect that Bolter Fusillades was supposed to be it, but there was some feth up.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






 Crimson wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
It is also worth noting that none of them mimic the Imperial Fists or Crimson Fists. Both traits for either of those armies are exclusive (besides sharing the Bolter trait between the two of them).

Which is weird. I almost suspect that Bolter Fusillades was supposed to be it, but there was some feth up.
I personally can see it initially being Bolter Fusillades but them realising it was too powerful or it made IF/CF redundant.

The current Bolter Fusillades rule is also really badly written. It allows for all 1's to be re-rolled but at first glance it doesn't read like that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/24 02:22:48


Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++There are currently ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN (115) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
+++++List of "broken" RaW in Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities
Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users.
Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





yeah thats my read they where worried it';d be a bit too good. IFs and CFs chapter tactics are solid, but the second part of them is VERY situational. IFs, just for example might fight an opponent who doesn't bother with cover in which case their CT is pretty much JUST he bolter part of it. Likewise Crimson fists CT is situational, I mean if you're playing agaisnt a custodes army (just for example) your squads aren't going to be out numbered. I think GW was being very careful to avoid a situation where the sucessor chapters where clearly better then the first founding.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





 BaconCatBug wrote:
 ph34r wrote:
Sorry for being vague. In my instance I am thinking about specifically Lamenters, and taking a Lamenters special character. So, sounds like I need to use the Blood Angels codex in this case.
Yeah if you want to use Malakim Phoros you're locked into the Blood Angels rules. If you're ok with using the SM codex rules and none of the special BA stuff you can always make your own chapter THE LAMENTERS and use the SM Successor rules, of course.


And use a generic character and call him “Malakim”, if you don’t specifically want his special profile.
You could even run the Ultramarine book, with Calgar, and call him that, and call the chapter Lamenters on paper/out loud.
As long as the rules for the list are all from one place etc etc
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

*sigh* Another week of waiting for more SM stuff. I really want my Impulsors and Eliminators. This is getting ridiculous.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





 casvalremdeikun wrote:
*sigh* Another week of waiting for more SM stuff. I really want my Impulsors and Eliminators. This is getting ridiculous.

Why with all the supplements that will take along time longer.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

Not Online!!! wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
*sigh* Another week of waiting for more SM stuff. I really want my Impulsors and Eliminators. This is getting ridiculous.

Why with all the supplements that will take along time longer.
I don't get what you mean. There is no good reason the releases should be spaced a month or so apart. At this rate, it will be Christmas before they are done releasing the kits.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/25 17:19:05


5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





 casvalremdeikun wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 casvalremdeikun wrote:
*sigh* Another week of waiting for more SM stuff. I really want my Impulsors and Eliminators. This is getting ridiculous.

Why with all the supplements that will take along time longer.
I don't get what you mean. There is no good reason the releases should be spaced a month or so apart. At this rate, it will be Christmas before they are done releasing the kits.

Excactly, steady income.
Polishing up those Quartal numbers and with SoB around christmas nice big hike there.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




 casvalremdeikun wrote:
*sigh* Another week of waiting for more SM stuff. I really want my Impulsors and Eliminators. This is getting ridiculous.


Yeah, i agree, they took the wind out of the sails of this release. I don't care about the supplements and special characters, but you'd think they'd want to get the new troops, heavy weapons and dedicated transport out in the world.
People might actually buy those if given the chance, rather than overpriced gimmick releases.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/08/25 19:56:08


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

I'm starting to wonder if Nova coming up was factored into the release schedule.

Nova would give them an opportunity to showcase the remaining 4 supplements all at once, highlight a forthcoming story arc(cause I'm basically guaranteeing you that there is one coming), and give us an idea as to what to expect for the remaining part of the year.

And I say this as someone who is sitting on cash earmarked for 3 sets of Incursors, 2x Reiver Lts, and at least two boxes of Eliminators plus that Raven Guard Supplement and whatever character+upgrade stuff comes out.
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





definatly annoying the wait, the supplements I can almost understand but would it have killed GW to I dunno.. put out a new kit each week in addition to all this other crap?

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





BrianDavion wrote:
definatly annoying the wait, the supplements I can almost understand but would it have killed GW to I dunno.. put out a new kit each week in addition to all this other crap?


Probably, just like coordination and communication between their writers seemingly kills them

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in us
Chaplain with Hate to Spare





Sioux Falls, SD

They are drastically reducing my desire to get much of anything else. Had they posted the article today? They might have gotten me to go in for an Invictor Warsuit on next Saturday. Now it is going to be two weeks at a minimum before a pre-order. And that Invictor will probably be staying on the shelf because it won't be in the New Releases section anymore.

5250 pts
3850 pts
Deathwatch: 1500 pts
Imperial Knights: 375 pts
30K 2500 pts 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





this is definatly reducing impulse buys.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in de
Poisonous Tomb Scorpion






It's a safe bet that they showed the missing kits alongside the things they already released because people would see them in the codex anyway, but given GW's usual behavior this raises expectations among the customers. To have the new Marine releases split up like this atypical to say the least. What an odd release.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





on the bright side my birthday is on the 4th so I'll have birthday money for the big mini release that presumably pre-orders on the 7th

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch





Dallas area, TX

Yeah, the wait is killing my drive to buy. And I don't even play Marines. My son that plays UMs just needs 2 Impulsors to complete his list and the wait is making me want to just buy 2 Razorbacks and turn them into Impulsors. My other son plays Salamanders, so we don't even know what he needs for his list

-

   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





honestly, a 3 week wait time isn't that long once we step back, the big problem is a communication issue from GW. truthfully it's hurting them as well. if they'd released the SM stuff I mighta looked at aeronautica, but I'm in a holding pattern until I can get the SM stuff I need

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: