Switch Theme:

ManSizedTarget's desk: 40K Combat Patrols - 21/32 so far - currently: 30k Emperor's Children  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Facebeard makes a good point! A really pale blue might work well

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in us
Executing Exarch






Blue would be my suggestion, as well. Or purple, which also goes nicely with gold.
   
Made in gb
Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





United Kingdom

Blue it is!

I went with a bit of a muted blue/grey, as it turns out I don't actually own that many blue paints
I went with blue gems to tie it in and not have too many different colours on the model.

The base isn't staying deserty, I'm thinking I might go with a black/grey base so the red pops more.

My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
   
Made in au
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer






Cool, kind of looks like electricity to me.

   
Made in us
[DCM]
Perfect Shot Ultramarine Predator Pilot





Macragge

Looks pretty cool. I don't recognize that model, is it a kitbash?

   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






Nice! The blue worked well. Will the base be getting any bits to add interest? A severed Space Wolf arm perhaps?

Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in gb
Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





United Kingdom

brushcommando wrote:Looks pretty cool. I don't recognize that model, is it a kitbash?

It's one of the Morghast Archai: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Morghast-Archai-2018
I replace the bone face with one from the Tzaangors, and added the shoulder armour from the second one onto the thighs, but otherwise it's used as is.
gobert wrote:Nice! The blue worked well. Will the base be getting any bits to add interest? A severed Space Wolf arm perhaps?

The base is definitely too plain, and I was trying to work out what to do with it, and then I noticed my 3d printer next to me so...

You can see his base taking shape in the bottom right (or possibly top left, as there are two on it), and there are some 25mm bases on it too for the acolytes, hopefully this comes out well.

My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
   
Made in gb
Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





United Kingdom

So a bit slow on the hobby front at the moment, work is keeping me busy. I've got a bit more red on the thousand sons, but nothing worth photographing.
However the bases got printed! I threw some filler onto the roads section to try and cover up the obvious 3d print marking, sprayed it silver and started painting.


I need to be a bit neater with the filler in future, but I think it'll work. I've still got a lot of painting to go, but I'm liking how it's starting. I've got some more printing to do to extend it out for the rubric marines, but the current one will cover the cultists and daemon prince.

My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
   
Made in gb
Terminator with Assault Cannon






I wondered why the printer was filling in the bits between the bases, and now it makes complete sense! They look fantastic, I was wanting to do something like that for my Marines, but couldn’t figure out how to do it. I’ll have to borrow it for another Army at some point. Did you design it yourself? Will they fit the ikea shelving unit you have?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/11/18 20:09:34


Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
   
Made in gb
Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





United Kingdom

 gobert wrote:
I wondered why the printer was filling in the bits between the bases, and now it makes complete sense! They look fantastic, I was wanting to do something like that for my Marines, but couldn’t figure out how to do it. I’ll have to borrow it for another Army at some point. Did you design it yourself? Will they fit the ikea shelving unit you have?

I wish I could have done them myself and will push myself to learn how to do it, but these are all purchased from:https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/40k-industrial-bases-full-set-tablewar-magnetic-tray-insert-with-bases-z-axis_hobbies They do three different designs that fit beside each other to make one display, cut in various ways, from 20 x 25mm bases up to a single 100mm. They sell individual STLs for about £4, or the full set of their designs (which is what I bought) for £20. They're roughly 120mm wide by 150mm deep as they're meant to fit tablewar magnetic cases, but they'll fit two rows of three facing each other in the IKEA KALLAX, so I should be able to fit two armies facing off against each other per shelf, or more if they don't take up all three slots (7 Custodes can fit on a single one ).

My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
   
Made in gb
Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





United Kingdom

So one side is mostly complete!

I've got a couple of things to I need to finish up:
  • the metals on the bases,

  • where the wings meet the base,

  • redo the spawn in a matching colour scheme

  • But otherwise I think it looks pretty good. I've got another base section drying for the rubric marines.

    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
    Made in gb
    Terminator with Assault Cannon






    That came out really awesome! Inspiring 3d printing and a great paint job on the minis too

    Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
       
    Made in us
    Executing Exarch






    That makes for a great display. Sets the models off very well. Having the spawn stand out like that sort of works. What would you do to change it?
       
    Made in gb
    Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





    United Kingdom

    gobert wrote:That came out really awesome! Inspiring 3d printing and a great paint job on the minis too

    Thanks, I think it's coming along really well.
    youwashock wrote:That makes for a great display. Sets the models off very well. Having the spawn stand out like that sort of works. What would you do to change it?

    I'm tempted to redo the teal bits red to tie in with the colour scheme, and possibly try and highlight up to the same skintone as the cultists, but I'm open to other suggestions (and leaving him as is would be easier ).

    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
    Made in gb
    Terminator with Assault Cannon






    Sadly I think the spawn would look much more part of the force if he was repainted as you suggest, he seems out of place in an otherwise very coherent force. Maybe if his blue bits looked like the morghasts blue bits it might fit better without a complete repaint?

    Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
       
    Made in gb
    Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





    United Kingdom

     gobert wrote:
    Sadly I think the spawn would look much more part of the force if he was repainted as you suggest, he seems out of place in an otherwise very coherent force. Maybe if his blue bits looked like the morghasts blue bits it might fit better without a complete repaint?


    I took your advice and repainted the entire thing, it a bit quick and dirty (mainly Gulliman Flesh Contrast paint):


    But it certainly fits in a lot more:



    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
    Made in gb
    Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





    United Kingdom

    On a different topic, I realised I am not really interested in painting the Ork combat patrol I worked out, but as people enjoyed my oldhammer Blood Angels, and I did collect Orks in 2nd edition, I think I might do them if people are interested. Do you think these guys would make good squighog riders now that boarboyz aren't a thing?
    [Thumb - IMG_20211201_210535_edit_829603267244245.jpg]


    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
    Made in gb
    Terminator with Assault Cannon






    The repainted spawn really does fit the scheme now, great work! The Boar Boyz would definitely fit the squighog theme and I’d definitely enjoy a 2nd Ed Ork army. Those monopose Gretchin are one hell of a slog though!

    This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/01 23:38:26


    Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
       
    Made in gb
    Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





    United Kingdom

     gobert wrote:
    The repainted spawn really does fit the scheme now, great work! The Boar Boyz would definitely fit the squighog theme and I’d definitely enjoy a 2nd Ed Ork army. Those monopose Gretchin are one hell of a slog though!


    I'm glad you like the spawn, and I'm hoping the gretchin won't be too bad, as I've managed to rescue 40 of them out of my box of old stuff!

    The delay since my last post has been down to a few things, work being busy, the festive season, but also due to me rummaging through a box of stuff I rescued from my parents house, and stripping/rebuilding them.

    And here is the current fruits of my efforts after I've just finished basing them all:



    Which is starting to look suspiciously close to:

    Looks like I'm missing Ghazghkull, 5 Kommandos, 5 Stormboyz and 3 snotling bases.
    I may have another project on the way...

    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
    Made in us
    Executing Exarch






    Uh-oh. Another retro recreation? Awesome! The new paint on the Spawn does make him fit in with the rest.
       
    Made in gb
    Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





    United Kingdom

     youwashock wrote:
    Uh-oh. Another retro recreation? Awesome! The new paint on the Spawn does make him fit in with the rest.


    Yep, definitely another retro-recreation!

    I decided I should start off with the 40 gretchin... and slowly lost the will to live... so switched to painting something fun, the big mek (minus shokk attack gun):

    The only left arm I had was the one meant for holding a bolter, but as I turned it round, I noticed it make it look like he was scratching his bottom, so that had to happen

    I looked at the old Ork Codex for the colour scheme, and noticed a nifty little freehand on the back plate, as he's a Evil Sun (as mek's were back in 2nd ed), so thought I would try and recreate it:


    I think it's turned out rather well
    There's still more highlighting, rivets and other freehand bits to do, but it's coming along nicely.

    I've also got Ghazghkull winging his way to me (thanks to the magic that is eBay), I'll probably be basing him on a 40mm, to stand in as a warboss, but I'm tempted to make a scenic 40mm to 80mm adapter (with some added height) to use him as the current Ghazghkull...

    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
    Made in us
    Flashy Flashgitz






    Looking forward to seeing your orks finished. Boarboys are a fantastic addition. In fact, I wish GW had just revamped them instead of going the squighog route.

    All Orks, All Da Zoggin' TIme. 'Cause Da Rest of You Gitz is Just Muckin' About, Waitin' ta Get Krumped.  
       
    Made in gb
    Terminator with Assault Cannon






    40 Gretchin are a real slog, so thanks for switching to such a great model as the Shokk Attack Gun Mek! The shield on his back is sweet. Nice job snagging Ghaz too.

    Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
       
    Made in gb
    Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





    United Kingdom

    So I'm still putting off painting the grots but making some progress. I decided to paint something simple, so got the boars done:


    And then to push myself with a little bit of freehand I got the Splatta Kannon done:


    I think I might focus on the boarboyz themselves next, or possibly the shokk attack gun, but we'll see what grabs my attention.

    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
    Made in au
    Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer






    Wow love the Evil Sunz symbol freehand. The monopose grotz were boring, the surprisingly big range of metal gretchin were much more fun.

       
    Made in gb
    Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





    United Kingdom

     Cap'n Facebeard wrote:
    Wow love the Evil Sunz symbol freehand. The monopose grotz were boring, the surprisingly big range of metal gretchin were much more fun.

    I would love to use the metal gretchin as they have lots of character... if they weren't going for £25 each on ebay...

    On the plus side I did get the shokk attack gun done up!



    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
    Made in gb
    Terminator with Assault Cannon






    Nice! You’ve gotta love a SAG, such an iconic model with hilarious concept and rules to boot.. great job getting thin painted.

    Are metal frogs really that pricey!?! That’s max!

    Edit: just checked, they are rather pricey, a few at slightly better prices though
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-40K-Classic-Ork-Grots-Grotz-Gretchin-Assorted-Metal-Bits-Box-/334205072203?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40K-Orks-joblot-gretchins-plus-Gretchin-Ork-Slaver-Classic-metal-Warhammer-/403337981642?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
    Not that you need more than 40 grots!

    This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/12/16 00:00:38


    Goberts Gubbins - P&M Blog, started with Oldhammer, often Blackstone Fortress and Void Panther Marines, with side projects along the way 
       
    Made in gb
    Renegade Kan Killin Orks






    Northern Ireland

    No 2nd ed ork army would be complete without a sizeable pool of box set plastic grots. I love mine. Batch painted with a variety of colours and no uniformity at all in mind.

    Loving your SAG. Looks like he’s putting his free hand to good use too. * scratch scratch

       
    Made in us
    Krazy Grot Kutta Driva





    I love the Oldhammer Orks! Nothing beats their style. You have done an excellent job painting them. The boarboyz are a great starting point for their calvary. I have twenty of the Ork boyz done in my collection. I just couldn't get through the gretchin. Maybe someday I'll pick the old metal ones. I don't have any of the original boarboyz. I have used the bonesplitta boarboyz. I have just swapped out a hand weapon for a slugga.

     
       
    Made in gb
    Kinebrach-Knobbling Xeno Interrogator





    United Kingdom

    Pointer5 wrote:I love the Oldhammer Orks! Nothing beats their style. You have done an excellent job painting them. The boarboyz are a great starting point for their calvary. I have twenty of the Ork boyz done in my collection. I just couldn't get through the gretchin. Maybe someday I'll pick the old metal ones. I don't have any of the original boarboyz. I have used the bonesplitta boarboyz. I have just swapped out a hand weapon for a slugga.

    I was tempted to swap out the boars for the newer ones as the old ones look a bit small on the bases, but with the actual boarboyz on them I hope they'll look okay.

    theCrowe wrote:No 2nd ed ork army would be complete without a sizeable pool of box set plastic grots. I love mine. Batch painted with a variety of colours and no uniformity at all in mind.

    Loving your SAG. Looks like he’s putting his free hand to good use too. * scratch scratch

    I was really happy with the way that hand just fitted, I was worried as it was the only spare, and thought there would be cutting and reposing, but it just fit perfectly

    gobert wrote:Nice! You’ve gotta love a SAG, such an iconic model with hilarious concept and rules to boot.. great job getting thin painted.

    Are metal frogs really that pricey!?! That’s max!

    Edit: just checked, they are rather pricey, a few at slightly better prices though
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-40K-Classic-Ork-Grots-Grotz-Gretchin-Assorted-Metal-Bits-Box-/334205072203?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40K-Orks-joblot-gretchins-plus-Gretchin-Ork-Slaver-Classic-metal-Warhammer-/403337981642?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
    Not that you need more than 40 grots!

    Yeah, the gorkamorka grots (mostly naked ones) tend to go for a reasonable price, but the one's that match the plastic 2nd ed ones (like the ones here: http://www.solegends.com/citcat1994orks/c1994orkp0004-00.htm are not cheap.

    I took a second look at the army box and realised I only needed 16 gretchin painted, so I might be able to get through enough, rather than attacking all 40 at once.

    However I decided to paint something else, so here's my Snakebite Runtherd, complete with original paper banner from when I had him ~20 years ago:


    I've also got a good chunk of the boarboyz painted, as they're snakebites too, but I've got some highlighting left to do, so they'll hopefully show up soon.

    My Painting and Modelling Blog: ManSizedTarget's Desk 
       
     
    Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
    Go to: