Switch Theme:

Episode IX Trailer, expected today  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Vulcan wrote:

Plausible. Adding "I know, I used to crew on it!" to her line saying "It's a piece of junk" would have explained that away and her being able to fly it is explained. It would have been a stretch for her to fly it like it was a starfighter instead of a piece of junk, but hey, The Force.

Still want to know where she got all her force training from for stuff like reading Kylo Ren's mind (Leia resisted mindprobes untrained, so there is that precedent), mindtricked a Stormtrooper, and became an expert lightsaber fighter.

And for that matter, why RJ was allowed to leave such AWFUL choreography in the Throne Room fight...


Personally I did not enjoy Force Awakens and walked out feeling that Disney had interferred too much with LucasFilm as all we got was a repeat of the mistake JJ made with Star Trek: Into Darkness; trying to remake a past classic but devoid of what made it so memorable. We waited decades to see what happened after the awesome ROTJ and we got..."just slap a few Ties and X-Wings in the sky and...oh, there was a desert planet too. And don't forget Darth Vader and his Stormtroopers. Hey - we mustn't leave out the Death Star neither!". Seriously, Dave Filoni worked bloody hard to turn the prequels into something special with Clone Wars( actually felt like a second childhood! ) and Disney comes in with that crap. It was basically a sub-par new hope. JJ is a solid director, and I loved the new cast, but there is more to SW than palming us off with fanboy-stormtroopers and a knock-off Darth Vader.

Thankfully, The Last Jedi could be summed up as its own film, where just as you think its another rehash of Empire and bits of Jedi, it goes in a different direction. Its also more unique in its influences too, separating it from the other movies; Memphis Belle( starfortress assault ), The Two Towers( the race to safety on Crait mirroring Helmsdeep ) and something rather new for Star Wars - a casino planet with alien horse races, and a reason as to the cause for the galaxy going to pot, being a nod to the prequels - which made me happy that the prequels were not forgotten. I liked how Luke defeated Kylo Ren by not giving him the satisfaction, by trusting in the force and not a cheesy lightsaber duel - a very cool nod to a similar situation in Dark Empire.

The Last Jedi was far from the best SW movie and definitely has its share of headaches, but I genuinely enjoyed it and think the strong hate for the film has gone too far, where fans are being shouted down for honestly enjoying the movie. I really felt disappointed with TFA but no way in hell would I ever consider sending vile remarks and hate at the director and crew. Personally, it ruined last year when the only SW news coming in was "The Last Jedi sucked", "Fans are not happy" and "Rian Johnson should be sacked"...especially when they acted as if they spoke for all of us.

But thats just how I felt about. Thanks to Last Jedi I can enjoy The Force Awakens better as it leads into something better.

Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Hulksmash wrote:
I disagree. I feel like Kylo and Rey both grew in 7 and 8. I get not liking things in 8 like the side quest and really anything to do with Finn and the starship chase. But the other half with Rey and kylo was still good and both showed development


Yeah I don't get the whole "no character development" claim. Rey, Kylo and Poe had plenty of it. Finn, maybe less so. Whole Deathstar gun-scene in the end of TLJ was to showcase (admittably in somewhat contrived fashion) that Poe had learned that bravado and guts do not always carry the day.

Besides, you don't always need character development arcs. Leia does not really develope as a person or character in OT. She is introduced to us as a highborn diplomat, spy and a leader who can take care of herself. She ends the series as pretty much same, except for her Skywalker and Force connections which are revealed to her in the end. She is already trained and experienced and doesn't need to 'grow' in same way as Luke who ends up almost a different person.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
SamusDrake wrote:
Thinking further on Rey being a pilot - there is some suggestion she had previous experience with at least the Falcon.


IIRC she says in the movie that she had not flown Falcon before. It is implied she has flown the other ship, which was blown to pieces. I always took Falcon's awesome maneuvering as a quality of the ship itself - it's not a standard variety freighter - rather than Rey's amazing piloting skills.

From meta perspective, Rey is a pilot because Finn is not. Since they estabilished that Finn is only interested of helping Poe because he can fly him out of the First Order, they could not have given Finn piloting skill. This provides convenient reason to stick Rey and Finn together, he lost his first pilot and needs another one. Other than that, Rey's piloting skills play little role in the movies.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/19 00:02:12


Mr Vetock, give back my Multi-tracker! 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





That last point about Rey's piloting skills is a good one and I think many people miss it.

Luke and Han are better pilots.

Luke blew up the Death Star and dropped an Imperial Walker with a tow cable.
Han made the Kessel Run (not as impressive on the big screen), shot down Vader (even though he blindsided him), evaded the Executor after Hoth, and managed to escape the first Death Star.

Rey dodged a couple of Tie Fighters and was promptly caught by Han.

Rey's piloting looks more impressive because all modern film has action and CGI ramped up to 11 in comparison to older films. You can't really compare visuals across films because films are product of their time. It's the same with the lightsaber duels. Had the OT been made in the 2000's it would have likely been just as flashy as the PT duels.

The only way we can ever solve anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






Speaking of SW toys being inconsistent as feth....

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HideSoldOut=true&Series=2343&PageSize=50&SortOrder=New&Brand=2308&utm_source=retail_news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bigbadtoystore-retail&utm_content=

There is now a "Vintage" collection of 3.75" figures being made that includes classic, prequel, and new trilogy figures.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





 Peregrine wrote:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do people think that removing parts from ships allows you to become intimate enough with them to fly? There tends to be mostly knowledge of where ship parts are supposed to be and what are good enough to be valuable.. But flying one?


OK. As I explained. We know Rey is a pilot. She said so, then proved so.

If you demand a full explanation on-screen, perhaps with a montage? Should we start we each character's actual birth? Because other than Luke and Leia, there's no reason to believe, by extension of your logic, that just because someone is an adult, that they were ever born.
That's trying to pitch the ball to the outfield instead of to the batter. You can do better then this.

She said she could pilot, but nothing gives any indication she could. Yes, I would've been satisfied if we even got the barest hint of a descriptor that she might've taken a joyride in the Falcon when Unkor Plutt wasn't looking. That she might've flied some still semi-working ships home for money/food.



Do you also complain when someone in a modern setting drives a car without first showing them attending driving school?
Not a comparable analogy. I would complain if someone who has only driven cars somehow flies a plane just as well without being instructed.

I do find it funny that the Novelizations decided to state "She learned from Star Destroyer Training simulations". Which actually would be quite more plausible to me.. Since you'd theoretically find such training sinmulations in all the wreckages of star destroyers.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Vulcan wrote:
epronovost wrote:
 Vulcan wrote:
The central plot of ESB is the same of the whole trilogy - following Luke Skywalker on his Hero's Journey. The rebellion against the empire is just the background on which the story is told.


The same could be said for any movies. They are just the story of the character and everything else is just the background on which the story is told. All stories are the story of a character growth or development.



Except for VII and VIII, in which no character growth or development occurred.


In episode VII Rey is a relunctant hero and doesn't accept her role as a Jedi until the end of the movie. Finn wants to run away not fight against the First Order until Rey gets captured. In episode VIII Rey comes to peace with the fact that her parents abandoned her and are never coming back, thus solving her greatest angst and childhood delusion. She also discovers that her enemies might not be simple monsters, but people too. Finn learns how to look past his fear, but also his rage thanks to love and friendship. In episode VIII, Luke learn how to let go of the past and give hope for tomorrow. In Episode VII, Han rediscover what it is to be a father (but yes, it kills him). Poe realise that he is but part of a greater movement that cannot rely on individual heroics alone to thrive and survive, but also on patience, prudence and teamwork.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/04/19 04:33:45


 
   
Made in us
Douglas Bader






 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Not a comparable analogy. I would complain if someone who has only driven cars somehow flies a plane just as well without being instructed.

I do find it funny that the Novelizations decided to state "She learned from Star Destroyer Training simulations". Which actually would be quite more plausible to me.. Since you'd theoretically find such training sinmulations in all the wreckages of star destroyers.


Of course it's a comparable analogy. In the real world driving a car is an extremely common skill, so if you see someone in a movie set in the modern world driving a car you don't question it. You just assume that at some point off-camera they learned to drive. In the Star Wars setting flying a starship seems to be an extremely common skill, so if you see someone in a Star Wars movie flying a starship you just assume that at some point off-camera they learned to fly. The fact that flying a plane in the real world is limited to professional pilots and a handful of dedicated (and well-funded) hobbyists makes it a rare and remarkable skill in a movie set in our world, but that doesn't mean that we should make the same assumptions about the Star Wars universe.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/19 04:43:35


There is no such thing as a hobby without politics. "Leave politics at the door" is itself a political statement, an endorsement of the status quo and an attempt to silence dissenting voices. 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut




Did Finn pilot a starship in TLJ? I don't remember. He had Rose do the piloting, no?
But he was piloting an attack speeder, something he probably was not trained as a Stormtrooper.

Getting back to teaser, I wonder what's the point of the TIE fighter scene. Why doesn't the pilot just shoot Rey? If the orders are to take her alive, ramming her is counterproductive for that goal too.

Mr Vetock, give back my Multi-tracker! 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

Backfire wrote:
Did Finn pilot a starship in TLJ? I don't remember. He had Rose do the piloting, no?
But he was piloting an attack speeder, something he probably was not trained as a Stormtrooper.

Getting back to teaser, I wonder what's the point of the TIE fighter scene. Why doesn't the pilot just shoot Rey? If the orders are to take her alive, ramming her is counterproductive for that goal too.


I assume its just a training exercise with her proving her new abilities - likely end of montage.....

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

 Vulcan wrote:
 Hulksmash wrote:
I disagree. I feel like Kylo and Rey both grew in 7 and 8. I get not liking things in 8 like the side quest and really anything to do with Finn and the starship chase. But the other half with Rey and kylo was still good and both showed development


Okay, that's a fair criticism of my statement.

But when your villain shows more character development than most of your heroes, your story has problems.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
On the ‘must be Endor’ thing.

Number of issues with that.

First, it could be one of the moons of Yavin.

Second? Those were massive explosions. Who knows where each piece of debris might finally have fallen foul of gravity? I’d need to review ROTJ again, but I’m fairly sure the main gun of the second Deathstar was pointing away from the Forest Moon? That would mean it was asploded out and away from it.

Third? Bits of the first Deathstar were used, post Endor, to assemble ‘New Yavin’. Could be part of that, and who knows where that might’ve ended up?


Sticking strictly to what's shown onscreen, the first Death Star was blown into lots of (relatively) tiny pieces. There certainly wasn't a big enough piece of the 'main gun' left to be recognizable.

On the other side, the last time we see the second Death Star, as the Millennium Falcon flies away, it's clear there are explosions gutting the insides... but the outer skin is still intact.

By that alone, it has to be Endor or one of it's moons... and the Forest Moon would have the greatest gravitational effect on the now-unpowered hulk.


Guys...JJ Abrams... none of that means anything.

-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Battle of Endor again shows the Death Star obliterated.

All I’m getting at is the planet isn’t necessarily Endor. When something that big explodes that violently, your debris isn’t about to just lurk around the general vicinity.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Mr Morden wrote:
Backfire wrote:
Did Finn pilot a starship in TLJ? I don't remember. He had Rose do the piloting, no?
But he was piloting an attack speeder, something he probably was not trained as a Stormtrooper.

Getting back to teaser, I wonder what's the point of the TIE fighter scene. Why doesn't the pilot just shoot Rey? If the orders are to take her alive, ramming her is counterproductive for that goal too.


I assume its just a training exercise with her proving her new abilities - likely end of montage.....


Same here in terms of the assumption. It smacks of a training exercise, rather than a scrap.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/19 12:37:57


Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






A few possible options:

The EU mentioned that the wreckage was either sucked into hyperspace by the detonation of the hypermatter reactor, or towed away by Alliance starships before hitting the forest moon. If so, this location could be anywhere in the galaxy

Or

we only saw one side of the forest moon of Endor from space, IIRC; perhaps it has a large sea on the other side?
(The image on Wookieepedia, taken from FFG's Rebellion boardgame does indeed show a large area of open water: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Endor/Legends?file=Endor_FFGRebellion.png )

Or

The moon was destroyed by the impact of billions of tonnes of material and what we see is the desolation remaining.

Or

apparently the gas giant Endor had several moons, of which the one with the Ewoks was one; perhaps some of the Death Star wreckage fell onto another one.

I'm just going to wait and see, myself.
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





 Peregrine wrote:
 ZebioLizard2 wrote:
Not a comparable analogy. I would complain if someone who has only driven cars somehow flies a plane just as well without being instructed.

I do find it funny that the Novelizations decided to state "She learned from Star Destroyer Training simulations". Which actually would be quite more plausible to me.. Since you'd theoretically find such training sinmulations in all the wreckages of star destroyers.


Of course it's a comparable analogy. In the real world driving a car is an extremely common skill, so if you see someone in a movie set in the modern world driving a car you don't question it. You just assume that at some point off-camera they learned to drive. In the Star Wars setting flying a starship seems to be an extremely common skill, so if you see someone in a Star Wars movie flying a starship you just assume that at some point off-camera they learned to fly. The fact that flying a plane in the real world is limited to professional pilots and a handful of dedicated (and well-funded) hobbyists makes it a rare and remarkable skill in a movie set in our world, but that doesn't mean that we should make the same assumptions about the Star Wars universe.
Hm, this could potentially be true as a bias in my mind, but Rey being someone in a very destitute area is what calls it into question in my mind. I probably should've pointed to the fact that she would have had no access to learning how to fly in a normal day to day life of scrap-gathering purely for food/water tokens in order to continue existing. It's why I don't question her skills in combat as fighting in melee should come quite naturally to someone who has to brave a desert and huge expansive scrapheaps, and it's one of the reasons why I don't question her winning the Kylo fight in the first movie (Maybe the force bits, but her skills in melee combat are unquestioned)

I should've brought more issues to the issues of living as part of things rather then just overall access. Rey is quite willing to learn as far as I know, and could potentially pick up piloting quite well, but being in a very destitute "I must do this day in and day out" sort of survival situation brings it into question in my mind since it seems like she's constantly fighting for scraps from a very uncaring, and very much an awful person lording food and water over her head that if she does not do well she'd be left to starve and die. Which isn't exactly conductive towards the idea of being able to learn to fly.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/04/19 12:49:50


 
   
Made in us
Douglas Bader






Rey is poor, but she still owns a hover bike and is willing to consider trading a droid (priceless by our standards) for some food. Tech that is miraculous by our standards is clearly so cheap in Star Wars that even a starving scavanger has it and knows how to use it.

There is no such thing as a hobby without politics. "Leave politics at the door" is itself a political statement, an endorsement of the status quo and an attempt to silence dissenting voices. 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Frazzled wrote:

Guys...JJ Abrams... none of that means anything.


Yepp. Anyone who thinks JJA cares about whether anything is consistent with earlier lore, estabilished setting or just generally accepted common sense, hasn't obviously seen "Into Darkness".

Mr Vetock, give back my Multi-tracker! 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






That also helps infer she’s a successful Scavenger.

And given what’s shes scavenging, that requires a knowledge of what’s what in Starships.

That she also knows how Unkarr modified the Falcon, and that it was a bad idea, shows she’s familiar with The Falcon specifically.

She declares she’s a pilot, then pilots the Falcon successfully (albeit to a degree of competence even she’s surprised about) all conclusively shows she’s flown The Falcon before.

And again. I am not saying ‘this is a good explanation within the film’. Just that it is there, so those claiming she couldn’t possibly be a pilot are objectively wrong in that opinion.

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





Oh yeah if she ends up knowing how to maintain the Falcon, and is a far better mechanic then Han "Slap metal bits on it" Solo or Luke "R2 fix everything for me" Skywalker I really would not be surprised. Chewbacca is exempt since it seems like he actually knows how to fix things.

Though it still makes me wonder why she didn't just fly off the planet in the Falcon before to... Anywhere that's a better life then what she's currently doing, but that's a different issue entirely.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/04/19 16:24:03


 
   
Made in gb
Ghost of Greed and Contempt






Engaged in Villainy

I thought the whole "why didn't she leave in the Falcon before" was explained by her insistence that her parents would be coming back for her - I think she said as much to Han when he offered her a job?

"He was already dead when I killed him!"

Visit my Necromunda P&M blog, here: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/747076.page#9753656 
   
Made in gb
Princeps of the Emperor's Titan!






Because she was waiting for her parents to return.

That....that’s her whole thing in TFA. Even expressing a desire to return to Jakku, precisely because she expects her parent’s to come back. Any day now. Definitely tomorrow. Or the next day.

Did you actually watch and digest the film?

Fed up of Scalpers? But still want your Exclusives?Why not join us?

 
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





It.. has actually been a while. I watched TFA once in theaters at release. I watched TLJ twice, but I never went back to watching TFA..

I really should it seems. I'm getting some inconsistencies because it's been too long.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/19 16:35:12


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Vulcan wrote:
epronovost wrote:
 Crimson Devil wrote:
I actually did this exercise with the Empire Strikes Back awhile ago. The dialogue in the hospital on Hoth is utter gak. Even granting your point about the era it was written, it's still utter gak dialogue. I had to stop after Hoth, before I ruined the whole movie for myself.


The central plot of Empire Stikes Back, finding a new base of operation for the rebels is also left unresolved at the end of the movie and never mentioned again. It's not even adressed in the following one. Then again second movies in trilogies frequently have this problem.


The central plot of ESB is the same of the whole trilogy - following Luke Skywalker on his Hero's Journey. The rebellion against the empire is just the background on which the story is told.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
SamusDrake wrote:
Thinking further on Rey being a pilot - there is some suggestion she had previous experience with at least the Falcon.

The Falcon belongs to Simon Pegg's character "Unkar Plutt" at the start of TFA and we do know that Rey was left in his care during the jedi-vision sequence. Rey knows that the Falcon hasn't flown in years and is familar with the interior working of the ship. We also know that Rey is on her own now...perhaps due to a falling out with Unkar Plutt or that he simply no longer had use for her. Perhaps Unkar felt Rey was more trouble than she was worth(due to her obsession becoming a problem?) and turned her loose, leaving her to fend for herself...

It is possible that Rey was part of his crew when he did fly the Falcon and Rey was a ship's hand. Maybe Unkar showed her the controls during trips so he could focus on managing the rest of the crew or whatever was more important at the time. She did seem comfortable in the role of co-pilot while Han was flying, and maybe that was her role on Unkar's crew - able to watch a real pilot in action? As we find her she was no longer in a position to fly the Falcon and turned to scavenging to survive, becoming familar with the interior workings of other ships such as the wreaked star destroyer, and an X-wing( she wore a rebel helmet in one scene ).


Plausible. Adding "I know, I used to crew on it!" to her line saying "It's a piece of junk" would have explained that away and her being able to fly it is explained. It would have been a stretch for her to fly it like it was a starfighter instead of a piece of junk, but hey, The Force.

Still want to know where she got all her force training from for stuff like reading Kylo Ren's mind (Leia resisted mindprobes untrained, so there is that precedent), mindtricked a Stormtrooper, and became an expert lightsaber fighter.


Same place Luke learned how to do telekinesis between ep 4 and 5 (Something that Obi-wan never showed him how to do )

But in the interogation scene, it clearly shows her reaching into Kylo's mind (likely on accident at first) when he reaches into hers. It's not inconceivable that she learned about various force abilities then. She's also shown failing to use the mind trick at first.

The lightsabre fighter thing, if you're talking about Starkiller base, she was not an expert and it showed. She only beat Kylo because he was severely injured.

If you're talking about the throne room, she was shown training with the sabre on the island while waiting for Luke.

And for that matter, why RJ was allowed to leave such AWFUL choreography in the Throne Room fight...


I quite enjoyed that fight.
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




 skyth wrote:


And for that matter, why RJ was allowed to leave such AWFUL choreography in the Throne Room fight...


I quite enjoyed that fight.


I personally think it's the second best choreraphy in Star Wars movies, the best being the one in the Phantom Menace. Of course, the choregraphies of the first trilogy were much more simple and used more standards kendo stances and strikes. They also had technical difficulties linked to the material and special effects used to make the lightsaber. I liked the fact that Snoke's guards all had a unique weapon which gave the fight an interesting look and is much more complex then a duel like most other lightsaber combat in the live action Star Wars.

Honorable mention to the Maul, Savage and Palpatine fight in Clone Wars, probably their best duel in the animated version. Come to think of it, if you want a cool fight you need Maul in it.
   
Made in us
5th God of Chaos! (Yea'rly!)




The Great State of Texas

You would think someone would have figured out to equip your guards with shotguns by now if lightsabres are around. Ash and his boom stick would have ended the jedi in their tracks...


-"Wait a minute.....who is that Frazz is talking to in the gallery? Hmmm something is going on here.....Oh.... it seems there is some dispute over video taping of some sort......Frazz is really upset now..........wait a minute......whats he go there.......is it? Can it be?....Frazz has just unleashed his hidden weiner dog from his mini bag, while quoting shakespeares "Let slip the dogs the war!!" GG
-"Don't mind Frazzled. He's just Dakka's crazy old dude locked in the attic. He's harmless. Mostly."
-TBone the Magnificent 1999-2014, Long Live the King!
 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Dark Apostle 666 wrote:
I thought the whole "why didn't she leave in the Falcon before" was explained by her insistence that her parents would be coming back for her - I think she said as much to Han when he offered her a job?


Also, I think Falcon and that other ship there were still actually owned by somebody else? I mean, they were still functional starships and thus pretty valuable. So if she just stole one, she might have got somebody after her. Obviously life-and-death situation might change that perspective.

Mr Vetock, give back my Multi-tracker! 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 skyth wrote:

And for that matter, why RJ was allowed to leave such AWFUL choreography in the Throne Room fight...


I quite enjoyed that fight.


Then you missed the two spots where Rey should have died like a chump - once because her back was turned to an attacker because the actress missed the timing, and later when they had to CGI out one of the two daggers being held by the attacker that briefly pinned Rey... instead of carving her kidneys out.

CHAOS! PANIC! DISORDER!
My job here is done. 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Where the other films have great choregraphy, Luke's confontation with Vader on Cloud City was a triumph of substance over style.

A New Hope ended on a Jaws-like finale where the fate of the galaxy was at stake and a single shot at the last moment decided it, whereas Empire - with no epic space battle - does the same with a traditional sword fight, that left its mark on not only the audience, but film history itself. The audience knew deep down Luke and Vader were destined to battle before they even got in the cinemas and was never the same again when they left it.

The battle is as follows; a tense gunslinger standoff, a game of cat-and-mouse, a no-holds bared battle and then a sudden defeat at the hands of evil. Finally comes the shocking revelation that unexpectedly opens a new chapter in the saga.

There is still a lot to enjoy in the other duels even if they don't quite have the same story impact. Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi would be close seconds. The Phantom Menace definitely had the best choregraphed sword play, though( the bit just before Obi-wan is disarmed by maul is incredible! ).

If any of the SW films could be classed as a thriller where there is no escape, then it would be The Empire Strikes Back.

Casual gamer, casual fun! 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Vulcan wrote:

Then you missed the two spots where Rey should have died like a chump - once because her back was turned to an attacker because the actress missed the timing, and later when they had to CGI out one of the two daggers being held by the attacker that briefly pinned Rey... instead of carving her kidneys out.


All the SW fights have similar issues, for example ending of the Phantom Menace fight makes no sense whatsoever. At least they should have Obiwan strike Maul while he was jumping upwards, that would have made it look slightly more plausible. And in fact much cooler than that stupid flip which required Maul, guy with fastest reflexes in the Galaxy, stand still for 3 seconds and do nothing.

Movie fights are not realistic, pretty much every single 1 vs many fight is totally implausible. The point is to tell a story with a fight choreography. That's why ESB fight is the best.

Mr Vetock, give back my Multi-tracker! 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut




Backfire wrote:
[All the SW fights have similar issues, for example ending of the Phantom Menace fight makes no sense whatsoever. At least they should have Obiwan strike Maul while he was jumping upwards, that would have made it look slightly more plausible. And in fact much cooler than that stupid flip which required Maul, guy with fastest reflexes in the Galaxy, stand still for 3 seconds and do nothing.


There were also positioning problem. The stuntman playing Maul threw a kick while his target was a feet to far, making it weird. It had to be corrected in post production, but it still looks awkward. In Return of the Jedi, the camera's view is obscured by scenery dring the final duel and many of Lukes blow would never have hit Vader since the two were too far appart. There are always little issues during fight scenes in movies. Very few are flawlessly executed, especially in North American movies.
   
Made in us
Douglas Bader






Backfire wrote:
The point is to tell a story with a fight choreography. That's why ESB fight is the best.


Exactly. That's why IMO the prequel and sequel fights are so overrated. They're flashy and full of CGI tricks that couldn't exist in 1977, but they have none of the substance of the OT and feel like little more than those "I discovered the lightsaber tool in photoshop" videos people used to make.

There is no such thing as a hobby without politics. "Leave politics at the door" is itself a political statement, an endorsement of the status quo and an attempt to silence dissenting voices. 
   
Made in gb
Sniping Hexa




Luton, UK

I've said it before, but it's always the RotJ duel for me, especiallt the last part where the music swells and Luke's anger causes his control to start slipping. In fact, despite ESB being 'the best' of the three, including the most iconic scene, all of my own personal favourite moments are in the other two.

I never got anywhere near the same feeling from any of the subsequent films, including even Rogue One, which I actually really like.

“Good people are quick to help others in need, without hesitation or requiring proof the need is genuine. The wicked will believe they are fighting for good, but when others are in need they’ll be reluctant to help, withholding compassion until they see proof of that need. And yet Evil is quick to condemn, vilify and attack. For Evil, proof isn’t needed to bring harm, only hatred and a belief in the cause.” 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: