Switch Theme:

Warcry (AoS) News & Rumours - Pre orders 5th Dec - 4 Grand Alliance books, ToC 2020, 4 warband sets  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

So... This all has me scratching my head, wondering if GW actually know what they are doing.

This new "Starter set" doesnt include any Battleplan cards. And the Battleplan cards included in the rulebook are incomplete, giving you only half off them.

But yet, the new Warcry Novel released alongside this "starter set" includes an exclusive battleplan card.

I know GW dont normally seem to be the brightest bulbs in the box of self promotion, but this seems pretty dumb, even for them.

I just want to know what the hell GW are thinking. They claim to want the turnover from the young crowd that uses mommys money to buy something efore moving on, ignoring the die hards. But everything that is going on with this round of Warcry releases feels like a cash grab. But before they can put their hand in your pockets, they decided to pull the trigger on the gun in their own pocket to shoot their own foot.

I love Warcry a lot and think its one of the better things they have done in quite sometime, but its not that good to tolerate the sort of nonsense that was a hallmark of the Kirby years.

These new grand alliance books and the catacomb rules are going to need to be damned good in order to validate this silliness.

   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Ancestral Hamster wrote:
Using today's Euro to USD conversion rate, the Catacombs starter is $188.541, an Euro 47.50 warband is $55.97, and the Euro 55 warband is $64.8124. My earlier post about pricing was optimistic; while I knew it would not go down, I did not expect an increase on a comparatively young game, especially when discretionary spending is down for most people. That's a good way to boost a competitor's business.

Edit: Assuming that GW rounds to the nearest 5, Catacombs will be $190, Euro 47.50 warband will be $55, and the Kharadron warband will be $65.


For future use forget exchange ratios of banks. GW has it\s own and it's not even consistent within themselves. Proper way to find out how much something is in other value is find comparable. So for $ price of 47.5€ you would need to find another item on same price and compare. Real exchange ratios are useless except making yourself feel even worse.

12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4663
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in us
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Right behind you.

 Hellfury wrote:
So... This all has me scratching my head, wondering if GW actually know what they are doing.

This new "Starter set" doesnt include any Battleplan cards. And the Battleplan cards included in the rulebook are incomplete, giving you only half off them.

But yet, the new Warcry Novel released alongside this "starter set" includes an exclusive battleplan card.

Fair bet is that the Catacombs rulebook(the second book in the Catacombs box) also includes Battleplans as part of it. Hell, it's possible that the actual box will get a set of battleplan cards as a 'preorder' bonus too. The novel is likely to be done the same as Beastgrave's special card was, a sealed bit inside of the book itself.


I know GW dont normally seem to be the brightest bulbs in the box of self promotion, but this seems pretty dumb, even for them.

I just want to know what the hell GW are thinking. They claim to want the turnover from the young crowd that uses mommys money to buy something efore moving on, ignoring the die hards. But everything that is going on with this round of Warcry releases feels like a cash grab. But before they can put their hand in your pockets, they decided to pull the trigger on the gun in their own pocket to shoot their own foot.

I'd love to know where they've ever made this claim. This is one of those oft-repeated things that I don't think I have ever actually seen a cite of a firsthand source.


I love Warcry a lot and think its one of the better things they have done in quite sometime, but its not that good to tolerate the sort of nonsense that was a hallmark of the Kirby years.

These new grand alliance books and the catacomb rules are going to need to be damned good in order to validate this silliness.

If this was the Kirby years, the game would already be dead and they'd be scrambling to release a printing of just the rules.
   
Made in cz
Deranged Necron Destroyer






 Kanluwen wrote:

They have, effectively, set price brackets where they put items in. It has some variances within accounting for currency shifts but it encompasses some older stuff as well as new.
Okay, thanks.

After seeing the US prices as listed at the Game Kastle link ... Too rich for my blood. Kind of like the Khainites, but if the warband box for them is more than $50 US (and seeing the prices for the warbands in this wave makes me assume they will be more than $50 US), it's eBay. If that fails, I can live without them, and without GW.

Kings of War: Abyssal Dwarves, Dwarves, Elves, Undead, Northern Alliance [WiP], Nightstalkers [WiP]
Kings of War Historical: Macedonian [WiP]
Dropzone Commander: PHR
Kill Team: Deathwatch AdMech Necron

 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





tneva82 wrote:
For future use forget exchange ratios of banks. GW has it\s own and it's not even consistent within themselves. Proper way to find out how much something is in other value is find comparable. So for $ price of 47.5€ you would need to find another item on same price and compare. Real exchange ratios are useless except making yourself feel even worse.

Actually they stick to exchange rate from a few years back (when pound was worth 2 usd, before succession of 4 increasingly dumb and incompetent UK pm's caused it to fall to 1.3 where it barely clung somehow though with incoming double cliff dive it will likely fall further). I can understand not wanting to revise your whole exchange rate because for a while it looked like the whole BS will be cancelled and the pound will shoot back up leaving GW forced to drastically revise prices but by now they should have gotten the memo it's not going to happen and accepted reality...
   
Made in us
Courageous Questing Knight





Central Cimmeria

Wow. Them charging $210 USD for that thing would be the equivalent of them charging $175 for the Island of Blood back in 2010 adjusted for inflation.

Waaay less content and a higher price.

It isn't even close to worth it for me even with standard discounts.
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





Just as I feared. The addition of old terrain into Catacombs does nothing except jack up the price and it's not even enough to play non-Catacombs. The original set was great value and this is horrible. Catacombs tries to do two things at once and fails on at least one of them. I was looking forward to buy Catacombs because dungeon terrain and new Warbands look fun to paint but now I am having second thoughts. Just like I had with Mega-Gargant.

I would have preferred Catacombs to focus on Catacombs at 100-ish eur price tag and old terrain to be released as Ravaged Lands set, maybe even including Sigmar's head terrain piece that isn't currently available outside Mortal Realms magazine.

That place is the harsh dark future far left with only war left. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Myrtle Creek, OR

People who won’t buy this new set due to price probably don’t even have servants’ quarters in their summer manor houses.
   
Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik






Minneapolis, MN

 privateer4hire wrote:
People who won’t buy this new set due to price probably don’t even have servants’ quarters in their summer manor houses.
oh how dreadful that would be tn allow the servants to dwell amongst us as if they were people too. We simply could not allow such a thing to occur. What would the Rothsbergers think of us if such an ghastly scenario like that to happen? Perish the thought!

   
Made in us
Sword-Bearing Inquisitorial Crusader





Ouch, was looking at picking up the starter set because Catacombs sounds fun and I like the Scions. At 210 it’s a hard pass. Pretty strange considering how much less content there is in this starter versus the previous. I still have plenty of campaigns to play through from the tome of champions and core rule book, as well as 4 Chaos bands to paint.

Oh well, I guess Relicblade gets more of my money come the KS pledge manager in November.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/19 22:58:09



 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

So this new set is more expensive than the already ludicrous Mega-Gargant price (which are $160 euros). That will put the box at around the AUD$330-350 mark.

Nope!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/19 23:19:25


   
Made in cz
Deranged Necron Destroyer






Actually, in a number of Japanese castles, the servants' quarters were a separate building. This was in case the daimyo (lord) needed to kill all of them at once. They'd be locked in and the building set on fire. The servants then had the choice of dying in the flames or running out to be slain by the cordon force of samurai.

 Hellfury wrote:
 privateer4hire wrote:
People who won’t buy this new set due to price probably don’t even have servants’ quarters in their summer manor houses.
oh how dreadful that would be tn allow the servants to dwell amongst us as if they were people too. We simply could not allow such a thing to occur. What would the Rothsbergers think of us if such an ghastly scenario like that to happen? Perish the thought!

Kings of War: Abyssal Dwarves, Dwarves, Elves, Undead, Northern Alliance [WiP], Nightstalkers [WiP]
Kings of War Historical: Macedonian [WiP]
Dropzone Commander: PHR
Kill Team: Deathwatch AdMech Necron

 
   
Made in vn
Longtime Dakkanaut




GW's cardboard and card are more expensive than plastic nowaday. Stick to pen, paper, cheap terrain and AoS warbands for a way better gameplay and affordable experience.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/20 03:07:17


 
   
Made in pl
Dakka Veteran




But GW is our friend now, Kirby is gone and they have good social media team!

Seems like 2020 made them either go into full panic mode hoarding before the inevitable collapse of no-deal or they believe their own hype and think the market will bear whatever they demand.
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






I was originally planning to get two so I could have a solid force of flamey dudes and a double dungeon. At that price I can justify one, and only because I will be buying at a discount. Methinks GW is getting full some themselves again.

Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I was originally planning to get two so I could have a solid force of flamey dudes and a double dungeon. At that price I can justify one, and only because I will be buying at a discount. Methinks GW is getting full some themselves again.


gw is afraid of a no deal brexit, better to make as much money now then later on.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in fi
Charging Wild Rider





Not Online!!! wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I was originally planning to get two so I could have a solid force of flamey dudes and a double dungeon. At that price I can justify one, and only because I will be buying at a discount. Methinks GW is getting full some themselves again.


gw is afraid of a no deal brexit, better to make as much money now then later on.
So, have they been preparing for a no-deal Brexit for the entire last decade, or is that only an excuse we can start applying for overpriced products released in the last year or two?
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Cronch wrote:
Seems like 2020 made them either go into full panic mode hoarding before the inevitable collapse of no-deal or they believe their own hype and think the market will bear whatever they demand.
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I was originally planning to get two so I could have a solid force of flamey dudes and a double dungeon. At that price I can justify one, and only because I will be buying at a discount. Methinks GW is getting full some themselves again.
GW just made "smoke launchers" a strat in 40K. Means they're now far more limited in how often they can use them, and the smoke's starting to clear.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2020/10/20 09:19:14


   
Made in vn
Longtime Dakkanaut




Cronch wrote:


Seems like 2020 made them either go into full panic mode hoarding before the inevitable collapse of no-deal or they believe their own hype and think the market will bear whatever they demand.


They've been increasing price for the past 2-3 years, and their stock and profit ended up doubling and hitting record every year, so really no reason for them not to raise the price.

Also really apparent that there're a large number of buyers who'd gladly accept the price hike because they always get "20% off" from their store.

And big combo box are getting less and less content, kit are also minimized to the smallest sprue size and count possible to save cost.

The only affordable way to play GW stuff nowaday is joining a group that split these "big" combo box or be an ebay seller and sell every thing that you don't need.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2020/10/20 09:25:08


 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





 Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I was originally planning to get two so I could have a solid force of flamey dudes and a double dungeon. At that price I can justify one, and only because I will be buying at a discount. Methinks GW is getting full some themselves again.


gw is afraid of a no deal brexit, better to make as much money now then later on.
So, have they been preparing for a no-deal Brexit for the entire last decade, or is that only an excuse we can start applying for overpriced products released in the last year or two?


he now,
i never said that it made sense, GW is overpriced and recently has gone out of the way to even hike the prices for models during a pandemic...

Still the shake up to supply WILL be massive so GW will attempt to make as much buck as possible in the short time span that is still possible.

If you agree with their hiked prices for that or not is entirely your subjective regard.
My personal opinion is, shame for the flameyboys, i'd have liked them for conversion, but at that pricepoint it's a hard pass.


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in gb
Battle-tested Knight Castellan Pilot





I love Dakka economists. Yes, I'm as price sensitive as all of you, but still, the absolute conviction and confidence you all have in your proclamations about GW pricing structure and its relation to worldwide macro economics and politics is always amusing. I must also add that I, a fellow Dakkonomist, have noticed the continued massive profits and increased stock value of GW seems to correlate strongly with a sustained period of adding, relatively speaking, affordable products across all of their lines, presumably aimed at tempting potential consumers with good "value" offerings.
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Cronch wrote:
But GW is our friend now, Kirby is gone and they have good social media team!

Seems like 2020 made them either go into full panic mode hoarding before the inevitable collapse of no-deal or they believe their own hype and think the market will bear whatever they demand.


Uuh no. This is just their normal price increases with new SKU they have been doing for years. It's steady continuation of their strategy. If people have bought the nu-GW hype it's their fault.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Not Online!!! wrote:
 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I was originally planning to get two so I could have a solid force of flamey dudes and a double dungeon. At that price I can justify one, and only because I will be buying at a discount. Methinks GW is getting full some themselves again.


gw is afraid of a no deal brexit, better to make as much money now then later on.


WOW! GW should take part in lottery since they have known no deal brexit would happen years before referendum was even suggested...Amazing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/20 09:43:22


12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4663
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





sarcasm aside tneva, if you have not the capability to understand what supply chains are why are you bothering to answer?

Yes gw's pricing is ridicoulus, shareholders however have an expectation of rising earnings and if you don't do that via expanding the custommer base then you focus on whale hunting as it is coined in the gaming industry (mobile one and also regular videogaming one).

However the factor of the recent no deal development will be an issue is in conjunction with demand for higher return and earnings from the shareholders. That is why we now have the even for GW standard overprced box here. Because GW will have higher costs due to the supply line issues that allready alot of companies are afraid off, on top of tariffs etc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/20 10:07:13


https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle






I suppose it is worth noting that the price listed is not the price many of us actually pay, but still.

Consider; Games Workshop rules not so much games but as toolboxes for players to craft an experience from, and open/narrative/matched play just examples of how things can be put together. 
   
Made in de
Poisonous Tomb Scorpion






 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I suppose it is worth noting that the price listed is not the price many of us actually pay, but still.


On the one hand, that's correct. On the other hand, if MSRP increases, so does discounted price, so you still end up paying more even if you get a discount.

Additionally, GW undersupplies these things (regardless of whether it's a working sales strategy or their stuff is just that popular). There's been a good few people that bought Indomitus via GW because they didn't want to miss out and there was a real risk of that, and this is the norm for many other releases. I think GW these days is actually quite adept at getting a larger number of people to pay full price than they once did.

I mean I know what you wrote before so I'm kind of preaching to the converted here, but I see no reason to sugarcoat the price hikes that have reached spectacular dimensions since early 2019. GW is very boldly trying to get a lot more money out of its customers than they did with earlier price hikes.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of! 
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Not Online!!! wrote:
sarcasm aside tneva, if you have not the capability to understand what supply chains are why are you bothering to answer?

Yes gw's pricing is ridicoulus, shareholders however have an expectation of rising earnings and if you don't do that via expanding the custommer base then you focus on whale hunting as it is coined in the gaming industry (mobile one and also regular videogaming one).

However the factor of the recent no deal development will be an issue is in conjunction with demand for higher return and earnings from the shareholders. That is why we now have the even for GW standard overprced box here. Because GW will have higher costs due to the supply line issues that allready alot of companies are afraid off, on top of tariffs etc.



Which doesn't change the fact GW prices have been going steadily up well before anybody even spoke of even referendum. If you claim recent price hikes are due to brexit then you are claiming GW was actually planning to STOP PRICE INCREASES in 2020...Stop increases that have been working like charm(just check their profits...). Yeah right. Provide the evidence.

...If you claim it then WHERE'S THE EVIDENCE? Put your money where your mouth is and all that. You make claim GW was planning to stop their decades old strategy of price hikes but brexit made them change plans...Provide the evidence.

Until you can do that only logical conclusion is the price hikes are part of their 100% normal strategy they have been following for DECADES. Brexit price hikes are coming later when effect actually kicks in. ATM there's zero effect.

GW prices keep going up all the time. Price for box year 2018 was higher than in 2017 which was higher than in 2016 that was higher than in 2015 that was higher than 2014 and so on and so on. New SKU, price goes up compared to previous comparable SKU's.

This has been for over decade. No change whatsoever.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/20 10:36:00


12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4663
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in pl
Dakka Veteran





Uuh no. This is just their normal price increases with new SKU they have been doing for years.

Except not really. Until this year the prices for AoS products were mostly comparable to previous years except for some outliers like the KoS. This year they just slapped significantly higher prices on everything. LRL all are priced like Witch elves whereas even year before you had a box of 20 skellyboys for that price. There were overall price rises, but they applied to most products in each category. Now you just have new kits being 10-30% more expensive than comparable releases only few months prior, which is new.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/10/20 10:41:37


 
   
Made in ch
Warped Arch Heretic of Chaos





tneva82 wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
sarcasm aside tneva, if you have not the capability to understand what supply chains are why are you bothering to answer?

Yes gw's pricing is ridicoulus, shareholders however have an expectation of rising earnings and if you don't do that via expanding the custommer base then you focus on whale hunting as it is coined in the gaming industry (mobile one and also regular videogaming one).

However the factor of the recent no deal development will be an issue is in conjunction with demand for higher return and earnings from the shareholders. That is why we now have the even for GW standard overprced box here. Because GW will have higher costs due to the supply line issues that allready alot of companies are afraid off, on top of tariffs etc.



Which doesn't change the fact GW prices have been going steadily up well before anybody even spoke of even referendum. If you claim recent price hikes are due to brexit then you are claiming GW was actually planning to STOP PRICE INCREASES in 2020...Stop increases that have been working like charm(just check their profits...). Yeah right. Provide the evidence.

...If you claim it then WHERE'S THE EVIDENCE? Put your money where your mouth is and all that. You make claim GW was planning to stop their decades old strategy of price hikes but brexit made them change plans...Provide the evidence.

Until you can do that only logical conclusion is the price hikes are part of their 100% normal strategy they have been following for DECADES. Brexit price hikes are coming later when effect actually kicks in. ATM there's zero effect.

GW prices keep going up all the time. Price for box year 2018 was higher than in 2017 which was higher than in 2016 that was higher than in 2015 that was higher than 2014 and so on and so on. New SKU, price goes up compared to previous comparable SKU's.

This has been for over decade. No change whatsoever.


Dude, the feth are you talking about, i said the momentary situation offers even more incentive to hike prices. I have never argued they'd lower them or even stop increases.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page
A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.

 Daedalus81 wrote:

In the 41st millennium there is only overpriced hamberders.

 
   
Made in at
'Jack Scrapper





Austria

First of all, always compare MSRP and discounted or second hand prices

I can get "old stock" stuff from GW or other companies sometimes for 70% off because stores want to get rid of it before the new things hit the shelf

but just because one can get it new for 30% MSRP does not make the MSRP cheaper in the end

other point is, GW is a friend of Brexit as EU Free Market is a problem for their made up conversion rates and they cannot prevent people from buying in Britain for much less than on the continent
(They try to prevent people from buying directly from GW by adding "shipping" costs that will kill of all the saving)

So GW might think they earn more profit from Brexit it with fixed EU prices and people willing to pay whatever is needed
yet people buy because they can get their 20% off UK MSRP with good conversion rate, so high prices might backfire in 2021

Harry, bring this ring to Narnia or the Sith will take the Enterprise

M41 - Alternative Rules for Battles in the 41st Millennium (40k LRB Project) 
   
Made in vn
Longtime Dakkanaut




https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/20/warcry-shadowstalkers-and-scions-rules-focus/

New rule sneak peak for the new warbands





Scion's Quad is pretty nut.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/20 14:18:02


 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: