Switch Theme:

[Star Wars] Disney+ SW shows(spoilers) Kenobi cast pp71  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 Nevelon wrote:
Rule of Cool covers a LOT of sins in the SW universe.


And as always with all the Rules of, YMMV. While some might find SW Rule of Cool. Others don't.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

Voss wrote:
 Nevelon wrote:
Rule of Cool covers a LOT of sins in the SW universe.


Maybe for you. I find it exposes more sins in every universe, as it almost always comes out as Rule of Stupid.
Its like waving a flag and attracting attention specifically to the things that just don't work.


Star Wars, like a lot of space opera, is fine on the surface, but dig a little deeper and it all unravels. Certainly not unique in this flaw.

Everyone has their own break point. That one thing were you say “too far, we’re just getting silly now” I’ve had my share of them over the years with SW.

Anime starts over the top as a genre, generally. (I’ll admit to sweeping generalizations here, it’s a big body of varied work). Master swordsman cutting giant mecha in half with a katana? Seen it a few times. Also, with lightsabers in a galaxy far, far, away. Realistic? Nope. Entertaining? I generally enjoy it.

I’m not saying it’s a turn your brain off and have a couple of beers before watching. But for some things you just need to realize they are silly over the top. As long as they are more-or-less internally consistent, I’m fine with just going along for the wild ride.

YMMV.

   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




As long as they are more-or-less internally consistent


Well, that's the obvious problem, isn't it? A 9 pronged laser whip duel while on top of a space ship and no one anywhere wearing any kind of protective suit is taking internal consistency and doing horrible things to its corpse.


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Voss wrote:
As long as they are more-or-less internally consistent


Well, that's the obvious problem, isn't it? A 9 pronged laser whip duel while on top of a space ship and no one anywhere wearing any kind of protective suit is taking internal consistency and doing horrible things to its corpse.


Is it, though? For one, there's no context for that scene, and no way to tell from what's shown in the teaser if those star destroyers are in space, or in atmosphere at night. And we're talking about a setting where, in what's widely regarded as the best entry in the franchise, regular humans climb out of their ship on an asteroid and walk around with nothing more than a face mask.

If you're still looking for scientific veracity 40 years later, you're in the wrong place.

 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Lets be clear; SW was never written with any internal consistency and even less scientific veracity. There were no rules, pretty much everything happens because it looks cool.

People have been trying to enforce rules on the property for decades, which has lead to ever increasingly outlandish definitions to force every new detail that doesn't fit the fandom back into the rigidly defined box.

In a lot of ways, there's been good that's come out of this, but others, most notably the Force itself, have really helped the fanbase kill what made the original films so special in the first place.
   
Made in us
Battlefield Tourist




MN

"Master Qui-Gon, what's a Midochloridian"

Speaking of killing what made the Force cool.....

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Easy E wrote:
"Master Qui-Gon, what's a Midochloridian"

Speaking of killing what made the Force cool.....


I never really had an issue with this as I assumed it was a simplified explination of a very complex subject. Anakin was, after all, a ten year old boy with no education

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Member of the Ethereal Council






My head canon is Midichorlians feed of minute traces of the force.
So they are around force sensitives, and the stronger you are in the forcem the more you have in you.
Ergo, its a measurement of force ability, but not the force itself

5000pts 6000pts 3000pts
 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 hotsauceman1 wrote:
My head canon is Midichorlians feed of minute traces of the force.
So they are around force sensitives, and the stronger you are in the forcem the more you have in you.
Ergo, its a measurement of force ability, but not the force itself


yeah I've always seen midichlorians as more a "side effect" of force sensitivyt, not a cause

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 insaniak wrote:
Voss wrote:
As long as they are more-or-less internally consistent


Well, that's the obvious problem, isn't it? A 9 pronged laser whip duel while on top of a space ship and no one anywhere wearing any kind of protective suit is taking internal consistency and doing horrible things to its corpse.


Is it, though? For one, there's no context for that scene, and no way to tell from what's shown in the teaser if those star destroyers are in space, or in atmosphere at night. And we're talking about a setting where, in what's widely regarded as the best entry in the franchise, regular humans climb out of their ship on an asteroid and walk around with nothing more than a face mask.

If you're still looking for scientific veracity 40 years later, you're in the wrong place.


Yes, it is. 'Internal consistency' is not 'scientific veracity,' feel free to not care, but don't gaslight the issue as something it isn't.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

The point was that we're not really given enough information from that clip to know whether it's consistent with previous background or just anime hyperbole. However. laser whips have existed in the setting since 1985. And I'm fairly sure the old EU had at least one example of a Jedi using the force to protect themselves from the vacuum of space.

It might not be what you personally are looking for from the franchise, but I don't see anything more absurd about a couple of force users fighting on top of a Star Destroyer than, say, Anakin and Obi-wan fighting while leaping around on melting metal structures floating in lava.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





a good example of "anime hyperbole" BTW would be the old tartakovsky clone wars series. it was waaay over the top.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
The Conquerer






Waiting for my shill money from Spiral Arm Studios

People do need to realize that the void of space is not immediately lethal. As long as you had some sort of oxygen source, your exposed flesh is perfectly fine in perfect vacuum for at least the short term. You're not going to freeze because vacuum is a great insulator, it takes a long time for a body, especially a living body, to lose heat when it can only lose it via radiation. Its actually myth that corpses in space will freeze immediately and/or explode from their own internal pressure. A fresh body would actually take days to lose its heat because the vacuum would insulate it. Its why thermoses can keep your drinks hot or cold for so long.

Lack of pressure is also not an issue. The human body can handle multiple atmospheres of pressure without ill-effects, experiencing 0 atmospheres of pressure is trivial.

The only real immediate danger of space to an exposed human body, assuming you have a method of breathing like a helmet or something, is solar radiation. And that is still a relative danger. If there is something between you and the star, its going to be blocked. Simple unsealed clothing or armor could provide sufficient protection too.

In the event you did get tossed into space alive and with only normal clothes, no helmet or anything, it wouldn't be pleasant to be sure. The water in your mouth, eyes, etc... would start boiling away, which would chill you slightly. Your lungs would depressurize, painfully, but it wouldn't do lethal damage. No, you would just die a slowish boring death from suffocation.


This is of course assuming that Space in Star Wars is the same as real space IRL. Given that sound apparently exists in space in star wars, it might be more of an Aether than true vacuum. IE: Space in star wars is actually an extremely thin atmosphere that extends everywhere.

Self-proclaimed evil Cat-person. Dues Ex Felines

Cato Sicarius, after force feeding Captain Ventris a copy of the Codex Astartes for having the audacity to play Deathwatch, chokes to death on his own D-baggery after finding Calgar assembling his new Eldar army.

MURICA!!! IN SPESS!!! 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Voss wrote:
As long as they are more-or-less internally consistent


Well, that's the obvious problem, isn't it? A 9 pronged laser whip duel while on top of a space ship and no one anywhere wearing any kind of protective suit is taking internal consistency and doing horrible things to its corpse.



But more or less than doing that while charging with cavalry on the top of the hull of a star destroyer?
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Even the ... "official"? explanation of lightsabers as quoted by Lance845 is nonsense, so having laser whips as well is fine by me. Along with walking around in a stomach wearing only a facemask, surviving re-entry in a spaceship with a broken front window and no engines and of course all the other ways that Star Wars "space" isn't like reality.

I like the one in that trailer that's done to look like charcoal drawings in mostly black and white, but the others, I'm not sure about. I'm not a fan of the pointy chin and big eyes look, so it's putting me off. I'll probably give it a go when it comes out, though. Perhaps actually getting into the characters and stories will get me over the look of it.

My main problem with anime has been mostly that I don't get all the cultural references and baggage, due not being Japanese (I have the same problem with American teen high school stories). Perhaps as these are all in a setting I already understand I'll be able to engage with it more.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/21 15:14:36


 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






Oh yeah it's total nonsense. But at least it's a mostly consistent total nonsense.

The rules can be anything as long as you stick to them.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Sure. But when those rules are largely made up by the fans rather than the people producing the material, it's a little unreasonable to expect them to be applied.

 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






Well the issue is it wasn't REALLY made by the fans. It was made by a host of EU authors who were given carte blanche to do what they want, including contradicting each other. The end result is some fans read these books and some fans read those books and so they each have their own idea of the canon. All officially licensed btw. Just not monitored or controlled.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/22 01:29:42



These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

I'm not a fan of the animation style for the SW "what if" thing, so I'll give it a miss.

I'm OVER 50 (and so far over everyone's BS, too).
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 Albertorius wrote:
Voss wrote:
As long as they are more-or-less internally consistent


Well, that's the obvious problem, isn't it? A 9 pronged laser whip duel while on top of a space ship and no one anywhere wearing any kind of protective suit is taking internal consistency and doing horrible things to its corpse.



But more or less than doing that while charging with cavalry on the top of the hull of a star destroyer?


I'm not sure 'lets do more of the things that made 7-9 terrible' is the way to go?
Regardless of genre format.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/22 03:37:43


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Voss wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
Voss wrote:
As long as they are more-or-less internally consistent


Well, that's the obvious problem, isn't it? A 9 pronged laser whip duel while on top of a space ship and no one anywhere wearing any kind of protective suit is taking internal consistency and doing horrible things to its corpse.



But more or less than doing that while charging with cavalry on the top of the hull of a star destroyer?


I'm not sure 'lets do more of the things that made 7-9 terrible' is the way to go?
Regardless of genre format.


Thing is, unlike these shorts, that is canon. Just like is canon that you only need a dinky transparent breathing mask to survive in hard vacuum, at least while you're inside a giant worm inside an asteroid (but given theiy didn't know that, I'd say it's just "surviving hard vacuum inside an asteroid").

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/08/22 08:47:59


 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Voss wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
Voss wrote:
As long as they are more-or-less internally consistent


Well, that's the obvious problem, isn't it? A 9 pronged laser whip duel while on top of a space ship and no one anywhere wearing any kind of protective suit is taking internal consistency and doing horrible things to its corpse.



But more or less than doing that while charging with cavalry on the top of the hull of a star destroyer?


I'm not sure 'lets do more of the things that made 7-9 terrible' is the way to go?
Regardless of genre format.


rise of Rey was hardly the first time we've seen fighting atop the hull of ships.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






BrianDavion wrote:
rise of Rey was hardly the first time we've seen fighting atop the hull of ships.

I get a strong "it's not canon unless I like it" vibe out of that kind of statements, tbh.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Albertorius wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
rise of Rey was hardly the first time we've seen fighting atop the hull of ships.

I get a strong "it's not canon unless I like it" vibe out of that kind of statements, tbh.


nah, it was just my noting that for all the kvitching about Rise of Dark Empire.. err Rise of skywalker that we've seen stuff like that in the EU.

TBH there was very little in ROS that was original. (light speed skipping I think was about it)

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






BrianDavion wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
rise of Rey was hardly the first time we've seen fighting atop the hull of ships.

I get a strong "it's not canon unless I like it" vibe out of that kind of statements, tbh.


nah, it was just my noting that for all the kvitching about Rise of Dark Empire.. err Rise of skywalker that we've seen stuff like that in the EU.

TBH there was very little in ROS that was original. (light speed skipping I think was about it)


Agh, sorry, I didn't men you ^^. I meant more the comments leading to that one.
   
Made in us
Purposeful Hammerhead Pilot




United States

 chromedog wrote:
I'm not a fan of the animation style for the SW "what if" thing, so I'll give it a miss.


Just a general dislike of the anime aesthetic? This comment stuck out at me because every episode is a different studio and thus a different animation style as well.
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






balmong7 wrote:
 chromedog wrote:
I'm not a fan of the animation style for the SW "what if" thing, so I'll give it a miss.


Just a general dislike of the anime aesthetic? This comment stuck out at me because every episode is a different studio and thus a different animation style as well.


Yeah but all the ANIME style. You know, low frame rates. beautifully rendered still images that someone will talk over. Static faces. Janky movements. Action lines because how else are you going to convey movement when you are not actually animating it? Little cartoon tear drops floating next to somebody's head because drawing emotions on someones face is too hard. That kind of thing.

It doesn't matter if you get 100 different artists to create shows in their distinct artistic style if they are all in the anime style.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.
 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




 Albertorius wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
rise of Rey was hardly the first time we've seen fighting atop the hull of ships.

I get a strong "it's not canon unless I like it" vibe out of that kind of statements, tbh.


It was actually more contempt for the argument that 'bad things already exist, so why not make more bad things?'

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






Voss wrote:
 Albertorius wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
rise of Rey was hardly the first time we've seen fighting atop the hull of ships.

I get a strong "it's not canon unless I like it" vibe out of that kind of statements, tbh.


It was actually more contempt for the argument that 'bad things already exist, so why not make more bad things?'


As long as you define "bad things" as "things I don't like" it's samesies anyways.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Lance845 wrote:
balmong7 wrote:
 chromedog wrote:
I'm not a fan of the animation style for the SW "what if" thing, so I'll give it a miss.


Just a general dislike of the anime aesthetic? This comment stuck out at me because every episode is a different studio and thus a different animation style as well.


Yeah but all the ANIME style. You know, low frame rates. beautifully rendered still images that someone will talk over. Static faces. Janky movements. Action lines because how else are you going to convey movement when you are not actually animating it? Little cartoon tear drops floating next to somebody's head because drawing emotions on someones face is too hard. That kind of thing.

It doesn't matter if you get 100 different artists to create shows in their distinct artistic style if they are all in the anime style.


yeah man but only anime has any real good story telling, *said while ignoring the mountains of westren animation with great storytelling!*

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
 
Forum Index » Geek Media
Go to: