Switch Theme:

Adeptus Titanicus news - All info in OP - Plastic Warhound, Reaver and Warlord confirmed pg 30  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in jp
Fixture of Dakka





Japan

I want to see miniatures and how they stack up to the old ones!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/07 01:42:54


Squidbot;
"That sound? That's the sound of me drinking all my paint and stabbing myself in the eyes with my brushes. "
My Doombringer Space Marine Army
Hello Kitty Space Marines project
Buddhist Space marine Project
Other Projects
Imageshack deleted all my Images Thank you! 
   
Made in gb
Warning From Magnus? Not Listening!





Rampton, UK

Two or three old warlords stacked up will be the size of one new one ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/06 00:31:39


 
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





Pawnee, Indiana

I am seriously mad about this.

I hope they do do the Lucius pattern ones in plastic. I always preferred those designs.

I swear I'm not a paid shill for Anvil Industry. I’d be willing if they wanted to pay me.

"That's Warhammer 40,000 where instead of using Victory Points to determine the victor you roll a D6 and compare receipts. Highest total receipts wins. I'm not sure what the D6 is for." - Abadabadoobaddon, on Reciepthammer 40k

"Actually if the PC/console games have thought us anything most of the noise from bolter fire is the firer yelling for the emperor every shot." - Joyboozer, on silenced bolters.

"It's better to just roll a D6 and discount anything I say on a 3+" - NivlacSupreme, on himself and his sanity. 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





While this is not the actual model for sale it gives a good impression



At the last event it was said the size would be similiar to this fella (center)





This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/02/06 00:44:38


 
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





Pawnee, Indiana

I can't afford a leviathan! Is it confirmed that there'll be a starter box?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/06 00:47:07


I swear I'm not a paid shill for Anvil Industry. I’d be willing if they wanted to pay me.

"That's Warhammer 40,000 where instead of using Victory Points to determine the victor you roll a D6 and compare receipts. Highest total receipts wins. I'm not sure what the D6 is for." - Abadabadoobaddon, on Reciepthammer 40k

"Actually if the PC/console games have thought us anything most of the noise from bolter fire is the firer yelling for the emperor every shot." - Joyboozer, on silenced bolters.

"It's better to just roll a D6 and discount anything I say on a 3+" - NivlacSupreme, on himself and his sanity. 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Friendly Peat Beast






The Great Marsh

If they're selling terrain (buildings) it seems like a starter box containing those and some titans would be quite likely, right?

I seriously cannot wait!
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

Sounds like the Starter would be rules and terrain. No minis.



"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in us
Wicked Warp Spider




Good - It's Adeptus Titanicus! Yeah!

The Bad - Not happy about the bigger models. I still rather like the original Warlord Titans.
I'm concerned that having to manage close to half a dozen data sheets is going to bog down the game. IIRC, the original AT kept all of the paperwork quite literally on the model itself. That kept the game running smoothly, and made it easy to check on the status of stuff - you just looked at the model. The data sheets mean more time spent away from the table. Plus you need extra space (in addition to the 4x4 or 6x4 play area) to place your data sheets. We'll see, but my initial impression is not positive.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Friendly Peat Beast






The Great Marsh

I'm fine with Warlords being large dreadnought sized - it'll make the Knights reasonably sized to detail well.

Seriously, they're giving us Adeptus Titanicus, with some plastic! I can't find much not to like
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




6mm/8mm is all the same. Old epic stuff varied all over the place. Many of the warmachines were closer to 8 anyways
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

So they're going to make a skirmish game that costs as much as a full 40K army? Seems kinda backwards to me.

And smaller armies allow for greater detail... like 3 different hit zones. Count 'em: THREE!


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/06 02:08:14


   
Made in us
Member of a Lodge? I Can't Say




'Murica! (again)

I'll be buying this game, but still over 5K points of Squats will be playing Net Epic/Epic Armageddon.

co-host weekly wargaming podcast Combat Phase
on iTunes or www.combatphase.com
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





bring it.
   
Made in in
[MOD]
Illuminati






New Delhi, India

For an 8mm scale you basically multiply the real world height by .004 to get the height of a the mini in CM.

So a 25m warlord titan (per the first page) is 100m or about 4 inches.

Spoiler:


About twice the size of an old Epic one IIRC.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/06 03:47:34


 
   
Made in gb
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Devon, UK

While I can't dispute your number logic KK, that's a Reaver...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
That does tally with the given model height of the 40K Reaver though, and taking the stated ~22" height of the 40K Warlord that'll land it in the 6-7" bracket. (Difficult to be precise because some of it is based on posing.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/06 05:00:13


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in us
Walking Dead Wraithlord






I'll be following this with interest based solely on getting to look at neat stuff.

Sadly, as I mentioned in the other thread: resin (particularly FW resin) + FW prices + lack of proper 40K universe expansion (at this point it's not a replacement for "Epic") = no go. Shame too, because a good plastic box would have been a quick sale to myself and most others in my gaming group. Realistically a plastic box with two opposing forces (say a Reaver and a handful of knights, each) would have been a no-brainer at the $150 price point of something like the Betrayal at Calth/Prospero boxed games.

8mm is also sad because I have friends who have large current forces for Epic and these'll be all but uselessly out of scale (likely done on purpose to spurn the mass market of secondary sculptors who've been supporting Epic for 10-15 years). Regardless I'll look forward to pretty pictures of titans and such.

 
   
Made in gb
Whelp



UK

I was at the weekender, I watched the games on both Friday and Saturday and I had a good talk with the designers, so I might be able to add some things. Lifting my self imposed forum exile to write this, because there's a lot of misinformation / omissions posted so far and I'm really excited about this game.

Andy Hoare is the lead designer.


This is wrong - but the seminar did make it sound like that. Andy is the specialist games manager, but he didn't design the game, that was James Hewitt (who did Betrayal at Calth, Silver Tower, Gorechosen, new Blood Bowl, and had something to do with Dreadball when he was at Mantic). From talking to James, it seems like Andy ran the project, helped with the design and made sure things ran on time, but James did the actual game design. I got the impression they're a close team, there are only three of them and it sounds like they're all really working together.

He also said they'd worked on AT for most of last year, and had tested it for six to eight months (which he said was above average for GW games). He said it drew inspiration from previous editions of AT / epic etc but was most similar to first edition AT, but with much more modern design.

Turn sequence based on the original AT scheme of 'I go you go, next phase':


I think Andy worded it badly in the seminar, because what he said didn't reflect the games I'd seen. It's not really like the original AT (where the turn sequence is based on the orders that have been issued), and it's definitely not what I'd think of as "I go you go" - but I can see what he was getting at. Instead it's more like: in the movement phase, I move a titan, then you move a titan, then I move a titan, and so on. I'd call that 'alternate activation' rather than 'I go you go'.

Models are much bigger than the old scale AT - no specifics shared but a Warlord will be noticeably bigger than a Space Marine Dreadnaught.


Chris (sculptor, has been working on the AT titans, and was helping run the game on Friday) and James both mentioned that the 40k scale game had been scaled up to four times the size of AT. Google says the 40k Warlord is 22.5" tall, so that would make the AT Warlord about 5.6" tall - smaller than a knight, bigger than a dreadnought. Maybe dreadknight size?

Knights are basically disposable pawns but can cause a fair bit of damage in groups


'Disposable pawns' wasn't said in the seminar far as I recall, and really wasn't the impression I got. James said they were like pack hunters taking down a big predator - they're not pawns, they're not disposable, but if you leave them in the open in front of a warlord they're dead.


Couple of other things I found online that aren't up here yet:

People from Titan Owners Club were playing on both nights, and one of them was watching on Friday and did this write-up:

Hi all.

I am here watching the new Adeptus Titanicus game carried out with 28mm scale Titans.

The game seems fast and pacey.

There are modifiers to to hit rolls (such as -1 if partially obstructed by a building.

Reactors are powered up and down to boost shields/strength of certain weapons and move faster. For instance a Reaver can move 6" as standard or 9" if he pushes his reactors.

Reactor overload actions are worked out at the end of the game turn. They can result in several different results like loosing shields, or prevent yourself from firing further Plasma weaponary or even reactor meltdown.

The game acts akin to chess where each unit takes it in turn to do an action. Turning the Titans have limits in 45 degree angles and cost movement or action points.

Each Titan runs a command panel as below where all information such as the one below.

They list the weapons that the Engine is equipped with, arcs of fire,range etc. It also enables you to keep track or apply special actions and keep track of that Titans activities.

When a Titan is hit without shields, the location of the hit (effected by arc of the strike) is rolled and damage is calculated against that part. Damage points are applied and damage strength is rolled to see how bad the damage is. It can result in reactor leaks, basic armour damage (easier to damage in the future) and even Engine Death.

Damage can be repaired by Servitor units which obviously costs actions.

The buildings used are Cad onto Foamboard of the modular plastic buildings that will be available to buy to assemble as you desire.

Hopefully I can get Bone Garland down and involved on Sunday.

Drake Seta


Last thing... someone else who was there on Friday posted a load of info on /tg. I actually searched 4chan to find this really detailed write-up of how the game works. Many Bothans died.

ONTO THE GAME ITSELF.
Mechanically i was not able to directly play the game but I paid as much attention as I could whilst taking photos, and I think I have a pretty good perception of it. Conceptually its clear as crystal (sans knights but its easy to imagine the game with them)

Imagine titans as something of a giant battleship. Vehicle so vast they have armour differences for each location - Legs are actually quite strong on most titans. This is done because most things a titan fight will be attacking from below and you might imagine that titan vs titan combat, gettingyour leg blown out is badnews.

(The rules are for a certain FW. They even have a similar layout (but a blueish tint instead of red) to the book. The models themselves im not sure, will likely find out sunday)

However, not as bad as getting your fething face shot up. Which happened on at least two occasions that game.

If your void shields are down, and your hit in the face, you can expect your moderatii to die and your MIU's severed.

A reaver titan may expect to survive about 3 bad hits to the face before being destroyed if memory serves me right (it had also been beaten up bad before)
You may be fearing "oh feth alphastrike city" but you'd be very wrong (at least if your a titan, not sure on knights as none took part). Multiple reasons for this and I will explain the conceptual part first;

Ranges matter ALOT in this game. First turn only Apoc launchers and Volcano cannons were in range.

[...]

(The titan weapons seen, turbo lasers, plasma blastgun, sunfury plasma annhiliator, laser blasters, melta cannons and inferno guns, all weapons that were not in range turn 1 (aside from one instance of for laser blaster/turbo laser i'll get to that in a moment)

Onto mechanically why: the game is done in phases like 40, however each "turn" each sides roll a D10 (yes the game uses d10s!) for initiative.

The side with the higher initiative activates a titan first.

For example (there weas a phase before this, which was not done in turn one, i;ll check my actual written notes soon) Team 1 moves a warlord titan. Team 2 moves a titan of their choice and so on.

Once all titans are moved, we enter the repair phase, where the tech priest on board will begin to repair any current damage. This can be stuff such as plasma reactors leaking etc. Then its damage control ; are these leaking system causing bad effects? what means are being used to dampen these?

I'll go back to more specifics once i've covered damage because its quite important.
We enter the combat phase after this. Naturally this where (most) the attacking happens.
Titans cannot split weapons without giving an order beforehand (more later). First you roll to hit as per usual however other factors are taken into account; dead moderatii, range (seemed to be for certain weapon types) and cover all adjust these values to hit.

Then, the enemy rolls a void save. This is dependent on how many void shields they currently have operating. Shields tend to become less effective as the game goes on due to systems being damaged and the shields being bombarded so less are operating at one time.

[...]

Once the enemy has no shields (or they fail a save iirc) you will begin hitting them.
This is where things get interesting. the old familar D6+Strength, then a bonus if you flanked (there didnt seem to be side armour for each component. Probably for the best otherwise we might have 3 values for each damn piece and there are alot of pieces)

Then your total is compared against the various thresholds for that location. Normal, Critical, Devastating

Normal, obviously, just does damage. Critical and devastating you roll on tables.
These cause additional damage as well as special effects. Devastating ones tend to be permanent - such as a plasma reactor being blown open or a crew member being heavily wounded.

Thats the essence of the game. There are of course specific for deaths of a titan.
One such result is a rather understated "silenced" - crew is dead, perforated beyond function, but stands tall and remains on the board.

Another is "laid low" the titan scatters a short distance, then you roll for the direction it falls

Of course more dramatic explosions exist.
Before all this however (im not sure it applies first turn, it may of just been to help familiaries people with the game to skip it first turn) is Orders Phase.

Each titan has a number of orders. These include: Emergency repairs (bonuses to repairing but you either move, or shoot - you'll actually do alot of moving in this game. ALOT). Stride - immiedately move (iirc) but again, you must either move or fire.

There was one more orders but alas it was not used. OH WAIT. CHARGE.
Charge; move. make immiedate attack.. you may of course make another melee attack later.

[...]

Melee combat, from what little i've seen is absolutely viable. A reaver punched another 4 times in the face, causing 2 criticals, forcing the enemy titan (which had a chainfist!) to back off like the Treasonous Legio Mortis pussycat it was
(Yeah repair was after move)

So how do you do orders?
Well if your the Princep Seniororous (no idea how to spell bs latin), you pass your order automatically everyone else makes d10 command checks.

Fail, and well, many guard players know what happens next; no more orders for that team.

We now also have something familar to Battletech players; heat! In this case its the plasma reactor.

You can boost certain actions by powering up your reactor.
For example movement can be exchanged for a better value that is listed in brackets, special rules of some weapons (for example laser blasters can be used to overpower a shield) can be activated ,some weapons require powering (Belicosa's for example)

Plasma weapons can be outright simply improved using reactor power, though the boosts do not work against void shields because of how these weapons work (so much like tabletop, void shields are countered by chaffire, though some strong weapon types can defeat them)

Another use is boostingyour shields. Declaring power to your void shields (it done per instance of weapon fired, so not like jinking) gives you the ability to reroll 1's.
So one believable tactic is to spook someone into keep overcharging their reactor, eventually they will overload it and bad things happen.

Bad things include the machine spirit trying to throw you off like a pissed off horse, forcing your princep to engage in a Machine-Spirit rodeo via a command check

As I mentioned earlier; titans manuervarability is limited. This includes arcs of rotation - you can charge and rotate btw
I believe thats everything besides some loose change intricasies.

[...]

This includes no premeasuring.
Yes, currently premeasuring is not allowed. No weapon uses fantasy cannonball rules currently
If you failed to hit witha blast weapon, you scatter d10 (no direct hit)

Orders that failed - unit carries on as normal.

Voiods do not work in melee - this might be expected.
Overcharging will not (at least as movement goes) cancel your action. Unless of coures your dead.

One order I forgot, that made the game very interesting; First Fire. You fire a single weapon in the order phase, you may not move.

Points cost as per usual are the basis of the game balance (in addition too force org) weapons them selves have specifiic casts
Shields can regen, just like table top.


Saturday night's game was a blast too. It was smaller because the big room was in use, they had to do it in a corridor, I don't think they'd planned to do it originally but the Friday one was so popular they wheeled it out again. But it was still a really exciting game to watch. Seems really solid and tactical - I spoke to James about designing it and he said he thinks one of the most important things in a game is decision making, like, 'do I do X or Y', where both are possibly valid options. You can really see it from watching the game. Both teams spent a long time talking strategy, and listening in on the Mortis side on Saturday night it really was because there were a lot of things to think about. I don't mean that in a bad way though - it wasn't a case of too many options slowing the game down, more that they were really trying to out-think the other side, and the game rewards you for thinking properly about the sequence you activate things in, the orders you give to your titans, and especially combining fire. On both nights you could see the teams working that last one out as time went by... at first it was lots of peacemeal fire, stripping shields and doing minor damage. But as it went on they realised that they had to focus. Then they started using smaller titans to strip shields, because big guns (like the warlord volcano cannon) were a bit useless against a shielded titan but totally devastating against an unshielded one.

I didn't get a chance to play, but I really came away wanting to. I can't wait for this, and I'm really hoping they do another demonstration at Warhammer Fest (they said they didn't know but maybe).

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 2017/02/06 05:48:21


 
   
Made in in
[MOD]
Illuminati






New Delhi, India

 Azreal13 wrote:
While I can't dispute your number logic KK, that's a Reaver...






Well it has been 20 years since I played Epic...

 
   
Made in gb
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Devon, UK

At this point, it hardly seems sporting to note that "Reaver Titan" or some sort of derivation appears in the image you used 5 times...

We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in au
Pustulating Plague Priest




Thanks nevaks80, that all sounds like great news, especially the Bothans part (I hate bothans!)
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

That actually sounds really cool.

But forgive my ignorance, is there any indication that this game will have some sort of in-built campaign play?

   
Made in us
Thermo-Optical Tuareg





California

Why couldn't this be in 15mm? Oh well. If it gives me the opportunity to own more than one Knight and not have to dedicate an entire display shelf to them, I'll be quite happy with it.

   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Barzam wrote:
Why couldn't this be in 15mm?
For the same reason why GW suddenly started putting their biggest selling line on all-new 32mm bases.
For the same reason they went and renamed all their paints.
For the same reason we get stupid word-salad names like Aeldari™, Aelfs™, Orruks™, Ogors™ and Fyreslyrys™.

That's why.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/02/06 06:33:56


   
Made in gb
Whelp



UK

H.B.M.C. wrote:That actually sounds really cool.

But forgive my ignorance, is there any indication that this game will have some sort of in-built campaign play?


They mentioned a campaign supplement - and they said, for example, your machine spirit might develop grudges etc against titans that had damaged it, and want to take revenge.

H.B.M.C. wrote:
 Barzam wrote:
Why couldn't this be in 15mm?
For the same reason why GW suddenly started putting their biggest selling line on all-new 32mm bases.
For the same reason they went and renamed all their paints.
For the same reason we get stupid word-salad names like Aeldari™, Aelfs™, Orruks™, Ogors™ and Fyreslyrys™.

That's why.




...15mm would be *bigger* than what they're saying. That's half the size of 40k, not a quarter (as posted above) / 8mm (as mentioned before). So what you're implying is that they're making it smaller because... profit or business reasons or something? I really can't work out what your point is.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Side note, but I really hope FW releases a set of those d6 with the Opus Titanica separately. I don't want to have to try to crawl eBay or trade forums to get a full playset for my big titans to roll with.
   
Made in us
Wicked Warp Spider




 Barzam wrote:
Why couldn't this be in 15mm? Oh well. If it gives me the opportunity to own more than one Knight and not have to dedicate an entire display shelf to them, I'll be quite happy with it.


15mm Warlord Titans would be *huge*. They'd be far too large to realistically put half a dozen of them on the table.

IIRC, the original Epic scale figures were 6mm.

   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





Pawnee, Indiana

Eumerin wrote:
 Barzam wrote:
Why couldn't this be in 15mm? Oh well. If it gives me the opportunity to own more than one Knight and not have to dedicate an entire display shelf to them, I'll be quite happy with it.


15mm Warlord Titans would be *huge*. They'd be far too large to realistically put half a dozen of them on the table.

IIRC, the original Epic scale figures were 6mm.



With how this is looking a lot of people won't be able to afford 6 mini titans.

I swear I'm not a paid shill for Anvil Industry. I’d be willing if they wanted to pay me.

"That's Warhammer 40,000 where instead of using Victory Points to determine the victor you roll a D6 and compare receipts. Highest total receipts wins. I'm not sure what the D6 is for." - Abadabadoobaddon, on Reciepthammer 40k

"Actually if the PC/console games have thought us anything most of the noise from bolter fire is the firer yelling for the emperor every shot." - Joyboozer, on silenced bolters.

"It's better to just roll a D6 and discount anything I say on a 3+" - NivlacSupreme, on himself and his sanity. 
   
Made in gb
Battlefortress Driver with Krusha Wheel





Brum

D10!?!
This is really starting to sound interesting.
Hopefully there will be a decent range of knights for my Epic Knight Household list

My PLog

Curently: DZC

Set phasers to malkie! 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

nevaks80 wrote:
...15mm would be *bigger* than what they're saying. That's half the size of 40k, not a quarter (as posted above) / 8mm (as mentioned before). So what you're implying is that they're making it smaller because... profit or business reasons or something? I really can't work out what your point is.


Then you need to re-read my post and look at what I wrote.

   
Made in gb
Most Glorious Grey Seer






I'm really hoping they price this right.

Me, I'm very much 'more money than sense' when it comes to hobbies - be it kitchen toys, LARP gear or my gaming, so I'm easily suckered in.

But that's no good to me or anyone else if I'm the only one coughing up for it (which has sadly been Armada's fate in my neck of the woods)

Fed up for Scalpers? Why not join us? 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: