Switch Theme:

40K RPG WRATH & GLORY - Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay returns!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in nl
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




We'll find out soon enough eh.

BrianDavion wrote:
of intreast is the fact that the old FFG stuff will be avaliable as PDF again. thats good news for people who decide they prefer the old system.

also the fact that the game is set in "modern times" for 40k is intreasting. this would REALLY flesh out some things.


Oh I didn't spot that, my interest just went way way down in that case.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in au
Three Color Minimum




In the casting shack.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

"Yar har fiddle-dee-dee, being a pirate is alright with me!
I'll do what I want 'cause a pirate is free, I am a pirate!" 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 Yodhrin wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
of intreast is the fact that the old FFG stuff will be avaliable as PDF again. thats good news for people who decide they prefer the old system.

also the fact that the game is set in "modern times" for 40k is intreasting. this would REALLY flesh out some things.


Oh I didn't spot that, my interest just went way way down in that case.


it's actually an intreasting thing as this'd allow us to very likely get a good "ground level view" of what the galaxy is like right now. GW's just MASSIVLY shaken up the setting, and I think RPG material is more likely to give us a better view of "now vs then" then a codex could

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in ca
Been Around the Block





I am very excited with the possibilities of this new game, and my biggest hope is that they allow us to play chaos characters ala Black Crusade.

I am curious what they will do about the advancement system as well. The only game I played enough of to worry about advancements was Black Crusade, and I feel like there were not enough options to allow characters to really diversify except along the lines of the different gods, with pretty much all characters who were devoted to a certain god looking roughly the same.

Avatar by Makkon 
   
Made in nl
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




We'll find out soon enough eh.

BrianDavion wrote:
 Yodhrin wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
of intreast is the fact that the old FFG stuff will be avaliable as PDF again. thats good news for people who decide they prefer the old system.

also the fact that the game is set in "modern times" for 40k is intreasting. this would REALLY flesh out some things.


Oh I didn't spot that, my interest just went way way down in that case.


it's actually an intreasting thing as this'd allow us to very likely get a good "ground level view" of what the galaxy is like right now. GW's just MASSIVLY shaken up the setting, and I think RPG material is more likely to give us a better view of "now vs then" then a codex could


Well, yes, you've just spelled out why I'm less interested - I liked 40K, I didn't need it to be "shaken up", and I don't really care about the new state of affairs.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity





New Bedford, MA USA

I wonder if it will share core game mechanics with the relaunched Torg RPG. IT would be great if they do, since TORG has always been a solid RPG, and it invovles faction from across the multiverse.

Being able to play a Power Armroed Space Marine in TORG would be sweet, and not out of line with that games mythos.


   
Made in us
Stoic Super Dimensional Captain






BrianDavion wrote:

it's actually an intreasting thing as this'd allow us to very likely get a good "ground level view" of what the galaxy is like right now. GW's just MASSIVLY shaken up the setting, and I think RPG material is more likely to give us a better view of "now vs then" then a codex could


I hadn't thought of that. The setting is likely to be a post RobbyG and Adeptus Restartes era setting as opposed to "classic" 40k in the FFG stuff.


LATEST UPDATE: 2017 YEAR IN REVIEW
 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





I hope they explore Dark Imperium era fluff for all races and not just the IoM though obviously I am very keen to see what happened to the IoM in this timeline form a civilian side as well as what happened tot he Deathwatch. Specifically the Jericho reach which is now a giant warp storm.
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 Gamgee wrote:
I hope they explore Dark Imperium era fluff for all races and not just the IoM though obviously I am very keen to see what happened to the IoM in this timeline form a civilian side as well as what happened tot he Deathwatch. Specifically the Jericho reach which is now a giant warp storm.


Given the guy behind this was apparently deeply involved with death watch I can't imagine he'll not eventually slide in some stuff if at all possiable. I'm now tempted to though to run a death watch adventure where the FINAL door to the Omega vault opens and inside is so dohickey that they end up having to go on a long ass mission that ends in them delivering it to Cawl to incorperate into his armor design.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Hard-Wired Sentinel Pilot




Oakland, CA

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
It's back under the stalwart command of Ross Watson, the man who first got the 40K RPGs going when they moved from Black Industries to FFG.

He's also the guy who brought me on board as a play-tester and later writer.

This is good news overall. I'm very excited.


Same here. I enjoyed working with Ross back then, and look forward to doing so again. He cares deeply about the IP, and has a solid handle on game theory.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Very happy that it will be set in the new Dark Age of the Imperium as I really like the new setting so my interest has gone up!, I'll probably get the books just for the fluff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/08/12 11:59:28


 
   
Made in fr
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller





France

I don't get it, what kind of game will it be ?
Investigation ? Ala Dark Heresy ?
Exploration (Rogue Trader)
Fight ?
Totally different ?

   
Made in us
[MOD]
Ignoring Nikaea since 001.M31






Svalarheima, MA

It is an RPG, so probably all of that and more?

Up to the GM and the gaming group, I'd imagine too?

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Baton Rouge, LA

Yeah, it's more likely a more open style ala D&D than the concentrated styles the BI/FFG ones had.

You know you're really doing something when you can make strangers hate you over the Internet. - Mauleed
Just remember folks. Panic. Panic all the time. It's the only way to survive, other than just being mindful, of course-but geez, that's so friggin' boring. - Aegis Grimm
Hallowed is the All Pie
DR:80S++G++M+B+I+Pwmhd03#+D+++A(WTF)/mWD230R+++T(S)DM+++ 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 Platuan4th wrote:
Yeah, it's more likely a more open style ala D&D than the concentrated styles the BI/FFG ones had.



yeah the impression I get from the limited info is the core rules is gonna be a big dump of "here are the rules do what you will" and the future supplemnents will be campaign guides.

So to make a comparison, it would be like if FFG published one single rules book for dark heresy death watch rogue trader etc, and that death watch rogue trader etc where all an add on explaining how to use the rules to make "X type of game"

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Stoic Super Dimensional Captain






IMO that would have been significantly more preferable so I hope that'll be the case here even if the different campaigns are at different xp levels (I.e. A rogue tradrr style campaign is at d&d style level 5 but a marine one is at 15) as long as they use the same core rules. The 80% the same rules in the ffg continuum was much more troublesome than I initially thought they'd be to convert.


LATEST UPDATE: 2017 YEAR IN REVIEW
 
   
Made in fr
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller





France

I don't know, I don't particulary enjoy D&D.
It is the rpg I play I like the least.
I enjoy the «specialisation» given by DH, RT, etc.
But I'm glad to see 40k rpg back, I'm looking forward new news !

   
Made in gb
Apprehensive Inquisitorial Apprentice




U.K.

 warboss wrote:
IMO that would have been significantly more preferable so I hope that'll be the case here even if the different campaigns are at different xp levels (I.e. A rogue tradrr style campaign is at d&d style level 5 but a marine one is at 15) as long as they use the same core rules. The 80% the same rules in the ffg continuum was much more troublesome than I initially thought they'd be to convert.


but then they worked better in their own 'genres' than being a generic all round system

3 SPRUUUUUEESSSS!!!! 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Sorta. I'd argue the differences between some were fairly token, and often done just to shake things up. I think black crusade actually worked well for being the general all rounder of the systems. The only thing that really was missing was the ship combat from rogue trader, and even that could've just been an extra supplement.
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 godardc wrote:
I don't know, I don't particulary enjoy D&D.
It is the rpg I play I like the least.
I enjoy the «specialisation» given by DH, RT, etc.
But I'm glad to see 40k rpg back, I'm looking forward new news !


keep in mind the D&D caomparison is just one he's using for ease of referance. eveyrone knows what D&D is character levels are etc.

MECHANICLY the game looks to have more in common with say... shadowrun then D&D

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Stoic Super Dimensional Captain






Inquisitor Kallus wrote:
 warboss wrote:
IMO that would have been significantly more preferable so I hope that'll be the case here even if the different campaigns are at different xp levels (I.e. A rogue tradrr style campaign is at d&d style level 5 but a marine one is at 15) as long as they use the same core rules. The 80% the same rules in the ffg continuum was much more troublesome than I initially thought they'd be to convert.


but then they worked better in their own 'genres' than being a generic all round system


I'd agree with you with the important caveat that your original purpose was specifically to ONLY play marines... or ONLY entry level humans... or ONLY experienced and well equipped humans... or ONLY Imperial Guard... or ONLY a bad guy traitor campaign. If you wanted some combination of any of the preceeding settings for your campaign, you would have been better off with a single cohesive core system with multiple setting books. YMMV.

SilverAlien wrote:Sorta. I'd argue the differences between some were fairly token, and often done just to shake things up. I think black crusade actually worked well for being the general all rounder of the systems. The only thing that really was missing was the ship combat from rogue trader, and even that could've just been an extra supplement.


I actually bought Black Crusade exclusively because of that reason as it's easier to plug and play that into an inclusive Imperial campaign by changing various names of abilities/items than it is trying to reconcile multiple different horde systems, enemy power rankings, psychic power systems, etc. While I can see spinning off an all marine setting to properly have them reflect their fluff without having to balance in squishy normal humans or chaos just because of the diametrically opposed setting and inherent rules, I can't really justify the splits between dark heresy, rogue trader, and only war. The decision to split those was made by a company that didn't care about fragmenting the customer base that instead prioritized a quick buck and multiple sales of mostly (but not completely... just different enough to be a PITA) same thing to the same crowd. They easily could have been a level continuation of each other with a single book for instance with =I= specific rules, another with IG specific rules, and another with a focus on exploration and space combat but all using the same core characters and rules.

BrianDavion wrote:
 godardc wrote:
I don't know, I don't particulary enjoy D&D.
It is the rpg I play I like the least.
I enjoy the «specialisation» given by DH, RT, etc.
But I'm glad to see 40k rpg back, I'm looking forward new news !


keep in mind the D&D caomparison is just one he's using for ease of referance. eveyrone knows what D&D is character levels are etc.

MECHANICLY the game looks to have more in common with say... shadowrun then D&D


Spot on. I only was using it as a reference since it is the prototypical and most famous class based system for the purposes of my example.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/08/13 00:41:23



LATEST UPDATE: 2017 YEAR IN REVIEW
 
   
Made in au
The Marine Standing Behind Marneus Calgar






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 warboss wrote:
The decision to split those was made by a company that didn't care about fragmenting the customer base that instead prioritized a quick buck and multiple sales of mostly (but not completely... just different enough to be a PITA) same thing to the same crowd.


Before they went to FFG, Black Industries always planned to make 3 games (DH, RT and DW).

   
Made in us
Stoic Super Dimensional Captain






 H.B.M.C. wrote:
 warboss wrote:
The decision to split those was made by a company that didn't care about fragmenting the customer base that instead prioritized a quick buck and multiple sales of mostly (but not completely... just different enough to be a PITA) same thing to the same crowd.


Before they went to FFG, Black Industries always planned to make 3 games (DH, RT and DW).


I appreciate the behind the scenes info as I didn't know that. My statement stands although it now applies to two companies. I doubt FFG were contractually obligated to continue that plan let alone add two more self contained RPGs on top of the original three for a total of one universe and playerbase split into/amongst 5 product lines. I *really* hope the new guys and gals don't do that.


LATEST UPDATE: 2017 YEAR IN REVIEW
 
   
Made in au
The Marine Standing Behind Marneus Calgar






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

I wouldn't even call it "behind the scenes" knowledge. BI talked about it when DH was first announced, and the forewords to all the core rulebooks talk about the original plan.

Black Crusade and Only War were the things that went beyond the original plan. Hell, Only War was originally a Dark Heresy supplement that grew so large they spun it out into its own game.

   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





keep in mind that splitting it wasn't a bad thing anyway. as a GM it was kinda nice in that if I wanted to run dark heresy I didn't have to deal with someone insisting on playing a space marine

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in be
Dakka Veteran





Belgium

That's interesting, but I too wonder about how the setting will be explored and which character we will be able to play. It's not like the Imperium is a place where "adventurers" can freely go around as they wish, nor that every faction works while holding hands with the others. To me, the Inquisition or Rogue Traders are those that can touch a large variety of possibilities.

Cuteness for the Cute Goddess! 
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Just make something up like a large merc company composed of all the races or something and its sponsored by the Imperim in some way.

Perhaps diplomats? It is rare but possible Eldar and Tau could be those.
   
Made in us
Prescient Cryptek of Eternity





New Bedford, MA USA

Ulisses other RPG is TORG, which is skill and attribute based, not level based. I'm really hoping that is the direction they take with the new 40K RPG. Other than D&D, I've never found level based RPGs to my liking.

   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





As long as its not like the FFG Star Wars rpg's I'm good. I'm a veteran rpg GM for like 15 years and of the dozens or more of systems I own and have run games in. That is the one I hate the most.

I also don't think it would be good with a cypher system. While I love Numenera it's simply a little too rules light for 40k (as I imagine it).

One thing I hope returns in some way. Crit charts. I also want to see new and crazy crit charts in every supplement lol. I always felt FFG was really missing out on not adding to the crit chart over time or expanding on it.
   
Made in us
Beautiful and Deadly Keeper of Secrets





Iracundus wrote:

Wrath & Glory allows players to take on the roles of characters from the Warhammer 40,000 setting, including intrepid agents of the Imperium of Man and even some of the classic alien races that populate the galaxy.


That from their website. This strongly suggests that players will be able to make alien characters. I suspect the likely suspects might be Eldar (of some form, like Corsair or Ranger) and Tau. Both are races that have had some degree of non-violent interactions with some parts of the Imperium (despite the official Imperial propaganda line).


Or Ynnari Eldar.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: