Switch Theme:

For Russ and the Allfather! Space Wolves Tactica: (Codex Edition)  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Been Around the Block




BrianDavion wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
jcd386 wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
jcd386 wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
How do Blood Claws look right now? If they went down in price, outflanking large squads with some LD buff wouldn't be a terrible idea.


They are still the same 13 points, but the wolf guard pack leaders went up to 16. Everything else is the same with them. The chapter tactic makes them better than before, though.

Hmm, that's slightly annoying.

So a squad of 9 with a Pack Leader being outflanked isn't TOO much. Main question is what weapons to run, if at all. I like the idea of Power Fists now with the extra attack and no penalty to hit first round of combat, but I have trouble justifying it in my head at the same time.


I think the hammer is worthwhile on the wolf guard pack leader because 3 hammer attacks hitting on 3s is pretty okay. The power fist starts being pricey IMO and I personally hate rolling for D3 damage.

With Grey Hunters having come down I'm more iffy on Blood Claws too. Deciding these things is hard as I'm the one who has to spend money!


I think I prefer grey hunters myself.


Grey Hunters are definitely better imo, especially with True Grit.
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker





After reading through this codex, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed. We lost a lot of our unique flavor from 7th edition and many of my favorite relics and formations (converted to stratagems) are not here.

Where are Morkai's Claws (one of my absolute favs from 7th edition)?

Where is our Shieldbrothers stratagem? (+1 T and reflect wounds to a squad of hammerbros would be a pretty awesome, flavorful stratagem) What about any sort of Blackmanes deep strike stratagem (maybe make drop pods actually useful again)? Counter charge (I guess heroic intervention is supposed to be the replacement for this, but it's not nearly the same).

Why did we lose so many index options? No more combi-weapons on rune priests, no more characters on bikes, no more iron priests on thunderwolves. I feel like I paid $40 for a new book and my army is less than it was before.

Why did we wait for so long for one new model and primaris models that effectively cost us $16 more than Blood Angels and Dark Angels players (they got boxes that are bundled with their upgrade sprue for the same cost as the base models)?

Why did they nerf dreadnought blizzard shields? It's not like SW were going to dominate competitive play with a 3++ dread running around.

How could a codex that took months longer than the other SM codexes seem rushed?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/08/26 00:05:49


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





What happened to the scouts?

We're gonna need another Timmy!

6400 pts+ 8th
My Gallery
____________________________
https://www.patreon.com/kaotkbliss
 
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker





kaotkbliss wrote:
What happened to the scouts?


Nothing happened to scouts. We waited months for a copy/paste codex.
   
Made in nz
Dakka Veteran




New Zealand

BrianDavion wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
jcd386 wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
jcd386 wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
How do Blood Claws look right now? If they went down in price, outflanking large squads with some LD buff wouldn't be a terrible idea.


They are still the same 13 points, but the wolf guard pack leaders went up to 16. Everything else is the same with them. The chapter tactic makes them better than before, though.

Hmm, that's slightly annoying.

So a squad of 9 with a Pack Leader being outflanked isn't TOO much. Main question is what weapons to run, if at all. I like the idea of Power Fists now with the extra attack and no penalty to hit first round of combat, but I have trouble justifying it in my head at the same time.


I think the hammer is worthwhile on the wolf guard pack leader because 3 hammer attacks hitting on 3s is pretty okay. The power fist starts being pricey IMO and I personally hate rolling for D3 damage.

With Grey Hunters having come down I'm more iffy on Blood Claws too. Deciding these things is hard as I'm the one who has to spend money!


I think I prefer grey hunters myself. but part of that is I prefer the flexability, with blood claws you've got your tatical options set, "charge the enemy" Grey Hunters give you just such an amazingly flexable force, proably the most flexable space marine troop choice in 40k.. it feels wrong to not use it.


Depends on what you need. Bc get some great stratagems that gh dont. And tge extra attack on. The charge makes better use of the chapter tactic.if your taking fist and hammers its great. So bc are very viable. Im taking a few msu ones with a wgpl in term armour shield and hammrr so good chance for some lone wolves. I outflank with Ragnar for beta strikes but wulfen.make great company as well.. Greys are good as well since they xan fire when they come out so dont. Need to make the charge from the flank. But cant be buffed as much as bc.

I. Thibk if you dont like to outfkank and wanna take rhe fire to the face then gh but if you wanna outfkank in theor backsides bc with wulfen/ Ragnar is better

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/08/26 01:13:39


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Well now, I know someone in this thread said "since we don't have scouts" but now I can't find it LOL

That's good because I'm bidding on a bunch of them to try and up how many I have available and replace some old rogue trader ones.

We're gonna need another Timmy!

6400 pts+ 8th
My Gallery
____________________________
https://www.patreon.com/kaotkbliss
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






Chicago

Can we take Cataphractii or Tartaros Terminators in Grey Hunter, Blood Claw and Long Fang squads? Or just vanilla Terminators?
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker





 Thanatos73 wrote:
Can we take Cataphractii or Tartaros Terminators in Grey Hunter, Blood Claw and Long Fang squads? Or just vanilla Terminators?


Only vanilla terminator armor.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




kaotkbliss wrote:
Well now, I know someone in this thread said "since we don't have scouts" but now I can't find it LOL

That's good because I'm bidding on a bunch of them to try and up how many I have available and replace some old rogue trader ones.


I think it was me, but I was talking about not having them as troops lol. Sorry.
   
Made in us
Speedy Swiftclaw Biker





We got some pretty significant power level reductions compared to the index, if anyone cares about that. All of the casual gamers in my area use power level.

Wulfen, Terminators, and Grey Hunters all got cheaper in terms of power level. Long Fangs and flyers went up in cost.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Long fangs going up doesn't suprise me, they're an insanely good unit.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in cn
Long-Range Black Templar Land Speeder Pilot




Beijing,China

 beir wrote:
After reading through this codex, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed. We lost a lot of our unique flavor from 7th edition and many of my favorite relics and formations (converted to stratagems) are not here.

Where are Morkai's Claws (one of my absolute favs from 7th edition)?

Where is our Shieldbrothers stratagem? (+1 T and reflect wounds to a squad of hammerbros would be a pretty awesome, flavorful stratagem) What about any sort of Blackmanes deep strike stratagem (maybe make drop pods actually useful again)? Counter charge (I guess heroic intervention is supposed to be the replacement for this, but it's not nearly the same).

Why did we lose so many index options? No more combi-weapons on rune priests, no more characters on bikes, no more iron priests on thunderwolves. I feel like I paid $40 for a new book and my army is less than it was before.

Why did we wait for so long for one new model and primaris models that effectively cost us $16 more than Blood Angels and Dark Angels players (they got boxes that are bundled with their upgrade sprue for the same cost as the base models)?

Why did they nerf dreadnought blizzard shields? It's not like SW were going to dominate competitive play with a 3++ dread running around.

How could a codex that took months longer than the other SM codexes seem rushed?

Due to some wyswyg nonsence-related policy of GW, if GW don't want to release the kit for one configulation of a unit(e.g. Nurgle Lord on a palanquin), they would totally remove the choice in a new Codex. Priests on TWC falls into the same category.

Tokugawa plays:  
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Long fangs going up doesn't suprise me, they're an insanely good unit.


Keep in mind he was talking power level. Points wise they are exactly the same. I'm not sure i've ever seen anyone play power level.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Why did they nerf dreadnought blizzard shields? It's not like SW were going to dominate competitive play with a 3++ dread running around.


What about a 3++ Dread that moves 8" re-rolls charge distance. Is -2 to hit on turn one, while your opponents best anti tank unit is -1 to hit as well? I can see why they nerfed Blizzard Shields. I still plan on having 2-3 in most games. Only now they are 134 points.

Due to some wyswyg nonsence-related policy of GW, if GW don't want to release the kit for one configulation of a unit(e.g. Nurgle Lord on a palanquin), they would totally remove the choice in a new Codex. Priests on TWC falls into the same category.


This is the thing I hate most about this edition. GWs actively attempting to kill creativity when modeling. Modelling is my favorite part of the hobby.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/08/26 03:46:01


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Justyn wrote:
Long fangs going up doesn't suprise me, they're an insanely good unit.


Keep in mind he was talking power level. Points wise they are exactly the same. I'm not sure i've ever seen anyone play power level.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Why did they nerf dreadnought blizzard shields? It's not like SW were going to dominate competitive play with a 3++ dread running around.


What about a 3++ Dread that moves 8" re-rolls charge distance. Is -2 to hit on turn one, while your opponents best anti tank unit is -1 to hit as well? I can see why they nerfed Blizzard Shields. I still plan on having 2-3 in most games. Only now they are 134 points.

Due to some wyswyg nonsence-related policy of GW, if GW don't want to release the kit for one configulation of a unit(e.g. Nurgle Lord on a palanquin), they would totally remove the choice in a new Codex. Priests on TWC falls into the same category.


This is the thing I hate most about this edition. GWs actively attempting to kill creativity when modeling. Modelling is my favorite part of the hobby.


It makes sense to only have rules for things with models. Until index units are illegal, we really have no reason to complain.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




It makes sense to only have rules for things with models. Until index units are illegal, we really have no reason to complain.


But it isn't just those. Primaris characters have no options. They are boring as hell. No mobility, no options. Cookie cutter, cookie cutter, cookie cutter. You may like it. I do not.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






Chicago

 beir wrote:
 Thanatos73 wrote:
Can we take Cataphractii or Tartaros Terminators in Grey Hunter, Blood Claw and Long Fang squads? Or just vanilla Terminators?


Only vanilla terminator armor.


Boo. Why the hell would they limit it to the vanilla Terminators? They can still keep the wargear options for the other suits of Terminator armor. Guess my Heresy era Terminators will stay in their own squads.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 Thanatos73 wrote:
 beir wrote:
 Thanatos73 wrote:
Can we take Cataphractii or Tartaros Terminators in Grey Hunter, Blood Claw and Long Fang squads? Or just vanilla Terminators?


Only vanilla terminator armor.


Boo. Why the hell would they limit it to the vanilla Terminators? They can still keep the wargear options for the other suits of Terminator armor. Guess my Heresy era Terminators will stay in their own squads.

Eh, Counts As will reign supreme. I'm using Tartaros Terminators for my Deathwatch so...

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Justyn wrote:
It makes sense to only have rules for things with models. Until index units are illegal, we really have no reason to complain.


But it isn't just those. Primaris characters have no options. They are boring as hell. No mobility, no options. Cookie cutter, cookie cutter, cookie cutter. You may like it. I do not.


Primaris are another issue entirely. I don't think they should have ever existed in the first place. But it's not like primaris lost options, they just never had any. And so far no normal units have lost anything either you can use the index version. I don't see the point in complaining about it unless they make the indexes illegal, in which case it's probably time to complain.
   
Made in us
Stealthy Space Wolves Scout





Florida

The primaris captain in Gravis armor is promising. Either with his master crafters sword doing 2 dmg each or with his pwr fist hitting on 2s S8 -3 on an average of 2 damage. He has 5 attacks and 6wounds at T5 with a 4++. Don't have my codex on me but maybe he would benefit from the wulfen stone from +1 attack. Maybe give him the saga of the hunter to make him faster at getting into combat. Combine that with the armor of Russ and you could lock down big baddies or elite units for a little bit and make them hit last.
   
Made in dk
Regular Dakkanaut




Our chapter trait and the berserk charge ability of BCs make them the superior troop choice IMO.

Wgpl with th/ss. Hoping the ss will make him last standing, for the lone wolf stratagem. TDA might be worth it due to the extra wound, and since there is no longer a discount to regular wgpl. Could consider going combiplasma instead of ss then.

Pack leader with powerfist.

They hit on 3s with 3 A each on the charge. They also have the greatest synergy with wulfen, to make it 4 A each. GHs cant compete with that.
   
Made in hk
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant




Northern85Star wrote:
Our chapter trait and the berserk charge ability of BCs make them the superior troop choice IMO.

Wgpl with th/ss. Hoping the ss will make him last standing, for the lone wolf stratagem. TDA might be worth it due to the extra wound, and since there is no longer a discount to regular wgpl. Could consider going combiplasma instead of ss then.

Pack leader with powerfist.

They hit on 3s with 3 A each on the charge. They also have the greatest synergy with wulfen, to make it 4 A each. GHs cant compete with that.


I think no matter it is Blood Claw or Grey Hunter, getting them into their desired range is the big big problem in my view. In a "friendly tournament" I joined I tried rhino rush, it worked well against other assault army, but really worrying against the shooty armies, in 1500pts Dark Eldar can easily destroy 2 Rhinos plus a Venerable Dreadnought in first round. Basically if you try to use Rhino rush, unless you got first turn when facing strong shooting, letting the Rune Priest casting Storm Caller and use the Cloaked by the Storm stratagem and / or poping smoke. Your packs are as good as dead.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
I also find that the new Wuflen Dreadnought being pretty underwhelming. I tried the Axe and Shield plus heavy flamer on it, which to me, it seems to be the best possible loadout. It moves fast, reroll charges, true, it can rush into the enemy relatively "fast". But it do not have FnP, the 4++ is not enough to save it from 3 dark lance shots, nor does it can avoid the dread from being stabbed dead from 10 DC with power swords and chain swords. It also do not have the buff to the buddies around it, unlike its wuflen brothers not entombed in dread. The Axe is also disappointing, especially on the Wuflen Dread instead of the SW Venerable Dread, it loses the +1 attack on the charge, and become "unwieldy", and have a significant point increase. All these nerfs together overwhelmed the buffs it get from the added "anti-horde" attack mode.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/08/26 16:21:34


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




You had issues with a Dark Lance having a 4++? I find that hard to believe.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in dk
Regular Dakkanaut




I dont think wulfen dreads are the way to go. Thunderhammers on infantry transported by T8 transports with smoke, or flyers, to get the -2 to hit modifier and 2+ save.

This gives us few drops so that we hopefully get T1, and thus only one round of enemy shooting before we are in melee.

Else we have to outflank.

You can also make a turn one charge with a lord on bike and hunter trait (14”+6”+2d6), not saying that it is a good idea in general, but then you can try to advance troops into his buble which allows them to charge following the advance.
   
Made in hk
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant




Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
You had issues with a Dark Lance having a 4++? I find that hard to believe.


Maybe I got the name wrong? It is a long range S8 AP-4 D6 dmg weapon on DE Ravager (the gun boat), three of that weapon shot at the Wuflen Dread, all hits, all wounds, I failed 2 saves (rolls a 1, 3 and 6 for the inv saves), results in just 8 dmg, so the Dread is dead before it even lift its leg to march forward. To me in the current meta, T7 4++ 8W is not enough for "distraction Carnifexes" costing 150+ points


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Northern85Star wrote:
I dont think wulfen dreads are the way to go. Thunderhammers on infantry transported by T8 transports with smoke, or flyers, to get the -2 to hit modifier and 2+ save.

This gives us few drops so that we hopefully get T1, and thus only one round of enemy shooting before we are in melee.

Else we have to outflank.

You can also make a turn one charge with a lord on bike and hunter trait (14”+6”+2d6), not saying that it is a good idea in general, but then you can try to advance troops into his buble which allows them to charge following the advance.


Wuflen Dread imo is really a trap. Don't be fooled by its name, It just failed flat compare to the Wuflen infantries tbh. The Wuflen got much much better in the codex, keeping its 28ppm base cost in the CA, while gaining an extra attack each, and offering the buff that is not on the Wuflen Dread, and the SW chapter trait also buffed them massively.

I think if want to run the SW special Dread, Bjorn and Murderfang are the way to go if you want footsloging dread. Or alternatively, take Venerable Dread in Lucis Pattern Dreadnought Droppod, it is "only 80pts", cheapper than the infantry carrying GW droppod.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/08/26 16:51:39


 
   
Made in us
Sister Oh-So Repentia



Illinois

50 point reduction on the Stormfang Gunship, right? My buddy ran that all the time, definitely too expensive before. Still can't transport Primaris, though, which seems weird.

2k poorly optimized Necrons.
1k poorly assembled Sisters.

DR:90S++G+MB--I+Pw40k16#+D++A+/aWD-R++T(T)DM+
 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Space Wolves Scout





Florida

I feel that The Sagas I like best got worse with the change to Warlord traits . I feel like saga of the hunter is kind of a wash it was good before and it still OK for the bath it provides two units around the warlord but I feel like saga of the wolf kin got worse . Sure wolfkin effects all units now but it doesn't help morale and it only affects other units after the war Lord has killed five enemy models.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/08/26 17:55:17


 
   
Made in dk
Regular Dakkanaut




Morale is rarely a problem for SM, unless you take big units - which i dont see a point in doing. Wolf priests and great company ancients can boost LD of any model to 10.
   
Made in us
Stealthy Space Wolves Scout





Florida

Northern85Star wrote:
Morale is rarely a problem for SM, unless you take big units - which i dont see a point in doing. Wolf priests and great company ancients can boost LD of any model to 10.

It is for fenrisian wolves. That trait made them immune. Even Harald only boosts them to ld 9. I wanted to take a big unit of them to screen my more important units. Plus they look cool.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/08/26 20:20:04


 
   
Made in dk
Regular Dakkanaut




“Only” LD 9?

But true, they’re nice models/units. No idea why GW wanted to nerf them.

Anyway, with LD 9 you opponent needs to kill 4 before you even have a morale test.

Saga of majesty was originally also an immune to morale aura, instead of increased aura range - so we lost all immune to orale stuff. Im personaly glad, because i have stopped using fenrisian wolves as msu (they die too easily). I use the models as cyberwolves to hold objectives and deny deepstrike opportunities.
   
Made in us
Steadfast Grey Hunter





Archebius wrote:
50 point reduction on the Stormfang Gunship, right? My buddy ran that all the time, definitely too expensive before. Still can't transport Primaris, though, which seems weird.

Zero change from chapter approved point value.

As to the morale thing, if you run a Wolf Lord there is that stratagem that lets you ignore morale for all units within x inches for 2 CP. That seems pretty handy on occasion, given it's a solid upgrade to the BRB morale stratagem (which you can also still use)

One thing I don't see is a way to recoup command points. Completely absent from the codex based on my quick skim. Really pushing that IG CP farm battalion there GW...

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2018/08/26 22:18:00


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: