Switch Theme:

So, is this the greatest nerf in 40k history? re: Ynnari nerfbat  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






I was fine with the nerf till i read a lot of somments that says it is worded that i cant I play Yncarne with my solitaire anymore (I dont care about the Ynnari nerf, i just wanted Yncarne in my Harlequins with the Solitaire). SO feth GW if that is true.

15k+ :Harlequin: 4k
12k+ SOLD (to many armies)
5k
Beastmen 6500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in is
Courageous Beastmaster




Iceland

 Aenar wrote:
 Eldarsif wrote:
Wayniac wrote:
About time. Although I'm sure the competitive crowd will get off that bandwagon in droves now that's its not OP.


That just means more IG + IK in tourneys. Fun for days.

Ynnari were irritating to play against, that nerf was long overdue. Now we wait for the IG and Castellan nerf in the FAQ.


I think the difference is that over the past year we have seen nerfs to Ynnari even though were gradual up until now. IG + Castellan, however, have been allowed to be in peace for the most part.

I guess the Big FAQ will tell, although I believe we won't see that much nerfing in it as many assume. At best I believe we'll see some beta rules or suggestions to level the playing field more than anything else.

For the record I've played Ynnari myself three times since they were originally released so this nerf won't affect me as much.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/27 16:35:57


Cypher | Craftworlds | Drukhari | Dark Angels | Necrons | Emperor's Children(30k/40k) | Tyranids | Orks | Death Guard

Daughters of Khaine | Blades of Khorne | Stormcast Eternals | Flesh-Eater Courts
 
   
Made in gb
Scouting Shade





The more I think about this change, the more I think it's potentially a buff to Ynnari as a cohesive army. The old Strength From Death strongly encouraged you to just have a small Ynnari detachment with a big unit of Spears and Dark Reapers, whereas this feels more like you could plausibly have a whole Ynnari list. It's really going to be the stratagems and psychic powers that make or break it.

In particular I can see Harlequins being potentially interesting with the new SFD, as they get to keep Rising Crescendo and gain +1 to hit in melee.
   
Made in ru
Furious Fire Dragon




Russia, Moscow

Harlequins and DE might get something out of this. Craftworlds though? Just due to 18 psychic powers alone we might want to stay pure.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/04/27 16:48:54


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Burnage wrote:
The more I think about this change, the more I think it's potentially a buff to Ynnari as a cohesive army. The old Strength From Death strongly encouraged you to just have a small Ynnari detachment with a big unit of Spears and Dark Reapers, whereas this feels more like you could plausibly have a whole Ynnari list. It's really going to be the stratagems and psychic powers that make or break it.

In particular I can see Harlequins being potentially interesting with the new SFD, as they get to keep Rising Crescendo and gain +1 to hit in melee.


And no Solitaire, cant have it with a Ynnari detachment or character, why take quins if you cant take a solitaire? You'll need 2 detachments.... But no.. Imperial can spend 1Cp for any assassin they want..

15k+ :Harlequin: 4k
12k+ SOLD (to many armies)
5k
Beastmen 6500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in us
Shas'o Commanding the Hunter Kadre




Olympia, WA

A collective sigh of relief was heard.

Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

7th Ambassadorial Grand Tournament Registration: http://40kambassadors.com/register.php 
   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre



california

 Jancoran wrote:
A collective sigh of relief was heard.


I see Dakka isn’t learning.. we have 5% of the rules exposed. Still psychic powers relics strats everything. I can’t wait until a broken combo is discovered and then people are all “no no nerf again nerf again! The ynnari is unfair oh woe is me and my stupid non aeldari army!”
   
Made in gb
Scouting Shade





Pain4Pleasure wrote:
 Jancoran wrote:
A collective sigh of relief was heard.


I see Dakka isn’t learning.. we have 5% of the rules exposed. Still psychic powers relics strats everything. I can’t wait until a broken combo is discovered and then people are all “no no nerf again nerf again! The ynnari is unfair oh woe is me and my stupid non aeldari army!”


Eh. Even if their psychic powers and stratagems turn out to be absolutely outrageous, the new Ynnari are really going to struggle to produce anything that's anywhere near as bad as Ynnari Reapers and Shining Spears have been in the past.
   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre



california

 Burnage wrote:
Pain4Pleasure wrote:
 Jancoran wrote:
A collective sigh of relief was heard.


I see Dakka isn’t learning.. we have 5% of the rules exposed. Still psychic powers relics strats everything. I can’t wait until a broken combo is discovered and then people are all “no no nerf again nerf again! The ynnari is unfair oh woe is me and my stupid non aeldari army!”


Eh. Even if their psychic powers and stratagems turn out to be absolutely outrageous, the new Ynnari are really going to struggle to produce anything that's anywhere near as bad as Ynnari Reapers and Shining Spears have been in the past.

You’re saying this with know knowledge of the relics strats or powers at all. For all we know a combo will make something else just as broken. Plus reapers and Spears has a points increase due to double actions. I expect GW to decrease their points since the reason their points were increased in the first place is no longer a thing.
   
Made in gb
Scouting Shade





Pain4Pleasure wrote:
 Burnage wrote:
Pain4Pleasure wrote:
 Jancoran wrote:
A collective sigh of relief was heard.


I see Dakka isn’t learning.. we have 5% of the rules exposed. Still psychic powers relics strats everything. I can’t wait until a broken combo is discovered and then people are all “no no nerf again nerf again! The ynnari is unfair oh woe is me and my stupid non aeldari army!”


Eh. Even if their psychic powers and stratagems turn out to be absolutely outrageous, the new Ynnari are really going to struggle to produce anything that's anywhere near as bad as Ynnari Reapers and Shining Spears have been in the past.

You’re saying this with know knowledge of the relics strats or powers at all. For all we know a combo will make something else just as broken. Plus reapers and Spears has a points increase due to double actions. I expect GW to decrease their points since the reason their points were increased in the first place is no longer a thing.


I mean, yes, I'm saying this because unless any of their relics, strats and psychic powers are absolutely absurd no combination is going to reach the heights of "Every unit in your army can potentially take two bonus actions a round for free". There have been complaints about Ynnari for very good reasons.
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut




that detachment that links two units and lets both proc the new death thingy, if one gets it seems fun. Not saying it is ground breaking with the heavy nerf to it, but it seems to me, someone who knows little about playing eldar, as fun.
   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




 BaconCatBug wrote:
https://old.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/bhu5jw/new_ynnari_rules_leak/
So, the New Zealand page for the White Dwarf is up. You can read the general army rules in a picture.

No named characters in Ynnari other than the 3 Ynnari specifics. And no Solitaire

Basically, no more using non Ynnari stratagems and psychic powers on Ynnari units. Also, they replace the <Faction> with Reborn Eldar-Type.

Beasts, Scourges, and Incubi can be included in Ynnari armies without breaking solid detachment rules but don't get Strength From Death, either.

Including the characters in a detachment lets you decide if it is a standard Craftworld, Drukhari, or Harlequins without giving up specific faction bonuses (but no such bonus for the Ynnari character.) Alternatively, you can decide that it is an Ynnari Detachment and all units gain Ynnari keyword (and faction changes mentioned above).

Strength From Death: (effects all Ynnari units in a Battle Forged non Superheavy Auxiliary detachment)

Once any unit dies all Ynnari units get to benefit from "Soulburst actions" which seems to be an Always Strike First (alternate with chargers, etc) for the rest of the turn. If the Ynnari unit had an Always Strike First type rule or charged that turn they can add 1 to their to hit rolls with melee weapons that turn.

No word if there are other things involved with "Soulburst actions" or if that was just flavor text now.


www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/White-Dwarf-May-EN-2019

So, it seems that GW finally realised that in a game with limited turns and actions being able to have your entire army act twice as many times as the enemy was a little unbalanced.

What's your opinion on the nerf? Are Ynnari an non-viable army on the scale of Grey Knights now, a mid level army or will the nerfs do nothing and the 5th round of nerfs still not do their job?


Considering Ynnari are easily the strongest overall army in the game right now, they had to change something if they wanted to give them more toys. Who knows though? Might have gone too far.

2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in nz
Deadly Dire Avenger




Considering Ynnari are easily the strongest overall army in the game right now, they had to change something if they wanted to give them more toys. Who knows though? Might have gone too far.


With the exception of imperium Soup with a Castellan or Knights in general you mean?

Also Ynnari in a Good players hand. Very strong.
Ynnari in a bad players hand. Average (CW has a much lower skill curve).

Knight in a Good players hand. Very Strong.
Knights in a noob's hand. Very Strong.
Very little skill curve. Very unfun to watch and play against. Seen many a new player come up against a Knight or Knight army and almost get put off 40k altogether.

They needed a nerf something like using CP to activate Soul BUrst. Many armies have fight again Strategems so to be fair if there is a PP that allows a Squad to shoot and a Strategem that allows a squad to fight again Ynnari may become a well balanced army.

Here's hoping.

   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre



california

NexAddo wrote:
Considering Ynnari are easily the strongest overall army in the game right now, they had to change something if they wanted to give them more toys. Who knows though? Might have gone too far.


With the exception of imperium Soup with a Castellan or Knights in general you mean?

Also Ynnari in a Good players hand. Very strong.
Ynnari in a bad players hand. Average (CW has a much lower skill curve).

Knight in a Good players hand. Very Strong.
Knights in a noob's hand. Very Strong.
Very little skill curve. Very unfun to watch and play against. Seen many a new player come up against a Knight or Knight army and almost get put off 40k altogether.

They needed a nerf something like using CP to activate Soul BUrst. Many armies have fight again Strategems so to be fair if there is a PP that allows a Squad to shoot and a Strategem that allows a squad to fight again Ynnari may become a well balanced army.

Here's hoping.

Perfectly said. Most people have a hate for aeldari and want to see them fall. They are ok with their broken stuff, though
   
Made in us
Shas'o Commanding the Hunter Kadre




Olympia, WA

Pain4Pleasure wrote:
 Jancoran wrote:
A collective sigh of relief was heard.


I see Dakka isn’t learning.. we have 5% of the rules exposed. Still psychic powers relics strats everything. I can’t wait until a broken combo is discovered and then people are all “no no nerf again nerf again! The ynnari is unfair oh woe is me and my stupid non aeldari army!”

...or its nerfed. I mean...positing either way is fine. The fact that its already stupid should be a good indicator of which direction its going.

Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com

7th Ambassadorial Grand Tournament Registration: http://40kambassadors.com/register.php 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




But you have to buy the white dwarf for this update so why even buy it. Most tournaments probably will let players use the Yannari 8th ed stuff they have so if the WD nerf is that bad most players probably just won't use it.
   
Made in us
Major General





Florence, KY

dkoz wrote:
But you have to buy the white dwarf for this update so why even buy it. Most tournaments probably will let players use the Yannari 8th ed stuff they have so if the WD nerf is that bad most players probably just won't use it.

I fully expect to see the 'Index' articles from White Dwarf published in Chapter Approved at the end of the year, with or without changes.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre



california

 Ghaz wrote:
dkoz wrote:
But you have to buy the white dwarf for this update so why even buy it. Most tournaments probably will let players use the Yannari 8th ed stuff they have so if the WD nerf is that bad most players probably just won't use it.

I fully expect to see the 'Index' articles from White Dwarf published in Chapter Approved at the end of the year, with or without changes.

He is saying until then players can just play the old way
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Ghaz wrote:
dkoz wrote:
But you have to buy the white dwarf for this update so why even buy it. Most tournaments probably will let players use the Yannari 8th ed stuff they have so if the WD nerf is that bad most players probably just won't use it.

I fully expect to see the 'Index' articles from White Dwarf published in Chapter Approved at the end of the year, with or without changes.


I imagine that's likely what will happen but until such time what sane player would use rules that dramatically hurt their army?
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






Well by that logic I'll keep using my un-nerfed commissars and conscripts.

You have to use the latest rules, it's the only way the game can function.

Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++There are currently ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT(108) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
+++++List of "broken" RaW in Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities
Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users.
Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 BaconCatBug wrote:
Well by that logic I'll keep using my un-nerfed commissars and conscripts.

You have to use the latest rules, it's the only way the game can function.


No until chapter approved is released players shouldn't be forced to use a publication you can't get your hands on a month after it comes out. No tournament circuit could function well that way. Also that would mean any new player that wanted to pick up the army 3 months from that WD is going to have to go back to find an old monthly publication just so they can play their new are, that seems foolish.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/28 00:50:38


 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





dkoz wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
Well by that logic I'll keep using my un-nerfed commissars and conscripts.

You have to use the latest rules, it's the only way the game can function.


No until chapter approved is released players shouldn't be forced to use a publication you can't get your hands on a month after it comes out. No tournament circuit could function well that way. Also that would mean any new player that wanted to pick up the army 3 months from that WD is going to have to go back to find an old monthly publication just so they can play their new are, that seems foolish.


This is a little silly and doesn't reflect reality of the information age. We'll be just fine.

[im]https://imgur.com/kEUzFF0.png[im]

http://insighthammer.com/ 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






dkoz wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
Well by that logic I'll keep using my un-nerfed commissars and conscripts.

You have to use the latest rules, it's the only way the game can function.


No until chapter approved is released players shouldn't be forced to use a publication you can't get your hands on a month after it comes out. No tournament circuit could function well that way. Also that would mean any new player that wanted to pick up the army 3 months from that WD is going to have to go back to find an old monthly publication just so they can play their new are, that seems foolish.


Well that is what is happening with assassin rules right now....

15k+ :Harlequin: 4k
12k+ SOLD (to many armies)
5k
Beastmen 6500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
Made in au
Towering Hierophant Bio-Titan





dkoz wrote:But you have to buy the white dwarf for this update so why even buy it. Most tournaments probably will let players use the Yannari 8th ed stuff they have so if the WD nerf is that bad most players probably just won't use it.


dkoz wrote:But you have to buy the white dwarf for this update so why even buy it. Most tournaments probably will let players use the Yannari 8th ed stuff they have so if the WD nerf is that bad most players probably just won't use it.


That is absolutely not how any respectable tournament will handle it.

P.S.A. I won't read your posts if you break it into a million separate quotes and make an eyesore of it. 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






dkoz wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
Well by that logic I'll keep using my un-nerfed commissars and conscripts.

You have to use the latest rules, it's the only way the game can function.


No until chapter approved is released players shouldn't be forced to use a publication you can't get your hands on a month after it comes out. No tournament circuit could function well that way. Also that would mean any new player that wanted to pick up the army 3 months from that WD is going to have to go back to find an old monthly publication just so they can play their new are, that seems foolish.
Ebay is a thing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/28 01:23:50


Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++There are currently ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT(108) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
+++++List of "broken" RaW in Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities
Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users.
Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre



california

 BaconCatBug wrote:
dkoz wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
Well by that logic I'll keep using my un-nerfed commissars and conscripts.

You have to use the latest rules, it's the only way the game can function.


No until chapter approved is released players shouldn't be forced to use a publication you can't get your hands on a month after it comes out. No tournament circuit could function well that way. Also that would mean any new player that wanted to pick up the army 3 months from that WD is going to have to go back to find an old monthly publication just so they can play their new are, that seems foolish.
Ebay is a thing.

A tournament should not allow unofficial copies of rules. So tel me how a player plays the new ynnari if there is no copies for purchase and no illegal copies allowed? And saying “he can’t” isnt an option. Answer? Index. Yay! We found a way around the bad rules until chapter approved. People will hate it but hey, they can go cry
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






Pain4Pleasure wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
dkoz wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
Well by that logic I'll keep using my un-nerfed commissars and conscripts.

You have to use the latest rules, it's the only way the game can function.


No until chapter approved is released players shouldn't be forced to use a publication you can't get your hands on a month after it comes out. No tournament circuit could function well that way. Also that would mean any new player that wanted to pick up the army 3 months from that WD is going to have to go back to find an old monthly publication just so they can play their new are, that seems foolish.
Ebay is a thing.

A tournament should not allow unofficial copies of rules. So tel me how a player plays the new ynnari if there is no copies for purchase and no illegal copies allowed? And saying “he can’t” isnt an option. Answer? Index. Yay! We found a way around the bad rules until chapter approved. People will hate it but hey, they can go cry
If you're a tournament player, you have the obligation to get the newest rules. Don't like it, Don't play in tournaments.

Add me on Discord: BaconCatBug#0294
+++++There are currently ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT(108) documents required to play Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
+++++List of "broken" RaW in Warhammer 40,000 8th edition+++++
Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written (or modified by Special Snowflake FAQ) in the rulebooks, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective. Even GW agrees with me, send an email to 40kfaq@gwplc.com for a confirmation reply "4. Apply The Rules As Written. If you still don’t have a satisfactory answer, use the rule just as it is written if you possibly can, even if you are not completely happy with the effect the rule has."
Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities
Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users.
Userscript to add a button to open all "[First Unread]" links on the page, hides the "[Blog View]" links, and adds a "Subscribed Threads" link to forum pages.  
   
Made in gb
Scouting Shade





I mean, we're happily talking about a good chunk of the rules before the relevant White Dwarf has even been released. Tournament players will be fine.
   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre



california

 BaconCatBug wrote:
Pain4Pleasure wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
dkoz wrote:
 BaconCatBug wrote:
Well by that logic I'll keep using my un-nerfed commissars and conscripts.

You have to use the latest rules, it's the only way the game can function.


No until chapter approved is released players shouldn't be forced to use a publication you can't get your hands on a month after it comes out. No tournament circuit could function well that way. Also that would mean any new player that wanted to pick up the army 3 months from that WD is going to have to go back to find an old monthly publication just so they can play their new are, that seems foolish.
Ebay is a thing.

A tournament should not allow unofficial copies of rules. So tel me how a player plays the new ynnari if there is no copies for purchase and no illegal copies allowed? And saying “he can’t” isnt an option. Answer? Index. Yay! We found a way around the bad rules until chapter approved. People will hate it but hey, they can go cry
If you're a tournament player, you have the obligation to get the newest rules. Don't like it, Don't play in tournaments.


Oof can you show me the rules for that? I don’t think there is. Honestly you always say your by raw. Raw show me where I can’t play a tourney with unobtainable rules? Oh there isn’t?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/28 02:38:14


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Yep, and its why i ordered my WD via my local, b.c if i do want to play i need the rules. I missed out on the assassins, i'm not letting that happen again.

15k+ :Harlequin: 4k
12k+ SOLD (to many armies)
5k
Beastmen 6500

Reading/Writing LD, be kind!

https://maddpaint.blogspot.com 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: