Thanks guys! Apologies for not replying to your questions, I'd only just seen the latest couple of posts when I came back to the thread just now to post an update.
Nightbringer4213 wrote:May I ask, what are the yellows/off whites you are using?
Happy to share. They're all airbrushed -
The yellow is primarily VMC Yellow Ochre. A bit of VMC Golden Yellow sprayed lightly into the centre of panels to brighten them up a bit, then a touch of VMC Light Orange around the edges to add a bit of richness, and then a careful light coat of VMA Burnt Umber around the edges to darken and shade.
The white is VMA Off-white, with VMA middlestone sprayed lightly around the edges to shade and 'age' it.
And you didn't ask, but to complete the set:
The black stripes are primarily VMC German Grey, with some Army Painter Matt Black sprayed on the edges
The red is primarily VMC Burnt Cadmium Red, with a bit of VMC Pure Red to brighten the middle of panels and VMC Hull Red to shade around the edges.
Are you planning on doing an Eldar one for your biel tan in the far future?
I'd love to! Right now I'm being fairly strict with myself about not buying any more forgeworld toys until I finish the Warlord, but I have been contemplating what to go for once I'm done. A pair of Revenants and a Phantom seems like something to aim for, but I'd also like to pick up some of the other Warlord Weapon options, other Imperial titans, Cerastus knights etc. It'll be a tough choice what to do next!
Today's update is a start on the heraldry. I'd been quite nervous about this since I was planning to do it freehand and I've never been a very good 'artist' in terms of drawing, 2d painting etc. I can draw non-organic stuff fairly well, but organic shapes, people etc... utterly hopeless. I guess that's the engineer in me showing! Anyway, what I wanted to do for this Warlord is basically recreating a bunch of the heraldry from the AT
Metalica transfer sheet, but in a much larger size. I'm particularly apprehensive about tackling the Iron Skull itself, so I decided to start off with what I thought would be the easier choice - the stylised gothic 'M' and laurel wreath. This is on one of the heraldry shields that goes on the shoulder.
The stripes and the basic diamond shape are airbrushed with masking. For the circle of the wreath I basically traced my paintbrush around a round object in order to make sure I had a fairly accurate circle, and then the leaves and the 'M' itself are fully freehand. I'm quite pleased with how it's come out, the only change I'm contemplating is possibly making the mid-tones and the highlights of the 'M' a shade or so lighter just so it's a touch more prominent.